Poverty Bay Herald, 14 July 1917, Page 5
It has been decided to erect a memorial hall at the Timaru Boys' High School in memory of those old boys of the school who have fallen at the war, and of those who may yet fall. The hall is estimated to cost £3000. Two hundred and forty old boys of the school have left for the war, and 30 have been killed.
The Timaru Boy's High School Library, North Street, Timaru has one large, 1750mm X 3570 mm stained glass memorial window, New Zealand designed and executed. The final "cartoon" was designed and painted by F.V. Ellis of Wellington and approved on the 17th Dec. 1954 by the Executive of the TBHS Old Boys Association as "The Memorial Window" to be manufactured under his supervision by Messrs J.W. Brock and Company of Dunedin, [??Execution Roy Miller / Milller Studios, Dunedin]. The Executive on the 29th July 1954 requested Mr Ellis to submit a design. "To consist of a centre panel symbolic of 'Sir Gawin' with two side pieces to include the New Zealand Coat of Arms and the School Coat of Arms, and to incorporate native flora." The extensions to the Memorial Library, and including the new stained glass window, were dedicated on Easter Sunday 1955 during the 75th Jubilee Celebrations. The window was donated by the Old Boys. The cartoon was acquired by Returned Servicemen on the Executive, framed and presented to the school on 28 March 1990 by B.J. Petrie.
The two outer panels display the arms of the Dominion of New Zealand on the left and the School on the right. The central figure depicts Sir Gawain seated on his war horse, Gringalet, and bearing his shield and lance. On the left is the archangel, Michael, angel of battles and, on the right is the Angel of Justice, blindfolded for impartiality and carrying the scales of justice. Looking on are four figures representing the Army, Air Force, Royal Navy and Merchant Navy. The rainbow above is an emblem of hope and, the skyline of Four Peaks and the outline of Mount Cook establish the location as South Canterbury.
D. Cray, M.M.
M. B. O'Connor
R. S. Priest
L.S. Serpell, M.C.
W.W. Simmers, M.M.
A. O. Baker
T.L. De Clifford
- P. Margest
- G.L. Bonham
A significant acknowledgement to old boy servicemen and their families.
Norman Guthrie Chalmers
DUNSFORD died May 2nd 1915, Gallipoli. Age: 23
Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F. Service No: 8/35
Son of Fannie Elizabeth Dunsford, of 60, Wai-iti Rd., Timaru, and the late William George Dunsford. Native of Invercargill. Before enlisting he was 2nd Lt., Senior Cadets, Timaru.
Grave/Memorial Reference: 75. Memorial: LONE PINE MEMORIAL. Has a headstone in the Dunsford family plot at the Timaru Cemetery.
15 Dec. 1981: Timaru Boys High School's oldest building, Thomas House, is demolished. The boarding house had been built in 1908 and at its height in the mid-1960s had accommodated 218 pupils.
Timaru Boys' High School Memorial Library, 1917-2007 Tells the story of the original building and its later extension, built to honour the memory of the school's Old Boys' Association members who died in World War I and II. Publisher: Timaru High School Old Boys. Spiral bound
"Families back in Scotland seemed to
sometimes mention other family members on headstones even if they aren't in that
Looks like it is done in New Zealand as well.