Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 946-950 Published 1903
Albury is situated on the Timaru-Fairlie branch line of railway, and is twenty-nine miles from Timaru. It is surrounded by fine mountain scenery, and is on the way to Mount Cook. There are about 100 people in the township, which has a telegraph office, a daily mail service, railway station, a church, a public school, a hotel and a blacksmith's shop. Albury is also the name of a riding in the Mackenzie county. The entire population of the riding, which includes Burke's and Mackenzie Passes, is 523. Since the continuation of the railway station to Fairlie the township of Albury has gone back somewhat. The local railway station is 751 feet above sea level.
Albury Railway Station and Post Office was established in 1876, when the line was opened. The building contains a ladies' waiting room, a vestibule, and the station master's office. Mails are received and despatched daily. On five days of the week there are two trains, and four on Monday. Albury was the terminus of the railway for five years, after its opening. The goods sent away include grain, wools, fat lambs and coal.
Pilkington, Charles, Stationmaster and Postmaster, at Albury, was born in Lancashire, England, in 1871. In 1874 he arrived at Port Chalmers with his parents, and was educated in Dunedin, where he entered the railway service in 1887. He was transferred to Albury in 1900. Mr Pilkington was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr John Cable, of Port Chalmers, and has one son and one daughter.
The Albury Public School, which is centrally situated, was established in 1881. It has accommodation for thirty-six children; the number on the roll is forty-two, and the average attendance is thirty-five, A residence for the local teacher stands on the property, which consists of five of acres and the buildings are well sheltered by a fine plantation of trees.
Albury Hotel (F. West, proprietor), Albury. Established 1867. This hotel is situated close to the Albury railway station, and contains twenty-one rooms, of which thirteen are well furnished bedrooms. The dining room is large and well ventilated, and has seas for thirty persons. There are two sitting rooms and a commercial room, and the billiard room is fitted up with one of Alcock's tables. The stables are large and have numerous loose boxes, and there are well watered and secured paddocks for travelling stock. The "Albury" is patronised by settlers, contractors, commercial travellers and passengers by trains.
Mr F. West was born in Richmond, Victoria, but educated in Canterbury. He entered the "Lyttelton Times" office when young. and served there for over twenty years, and took over the Albury Hotel in 1898.
STEWART, Donald, Storekeeper and Butcher, Albury. Mr Stewart is a son of the late Mr. John Campbell Stewart, of Pleasant Point, and was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, in 1864. He came with his parents to New Zealand in the steamship "Kaikoura," in 1884. They landed at Port Chalmers, and Mr Donald Stewart went to the Pareora estate, where he worked for three years. He then went to Albury and engaged in farming with his brother. A few years later he started, in conjunction with his brother, a general store and butchery at Albury, and they do a large country trade which is still increasing. Mr Stewart was secretary and treasurer of the Albury Racing Club while the club was in existence, and is now secretary and treasurer of the Albury Collie Dig Club. Being very energetic and popular, Mr Stewart is generally entrusted with the secrertaryship or management of social events in the Albury district.
Albury Coalpit (J.M.Willets, proprietor). This coalpit is about six miles from Albury, and was formerly the property of Mr J.S. Rutherford. It was discovered in the sixties, but has only been steadily worked since 1895. The seam of solid coal is flat, and about twenty feet thick. It is used principally for household purposes, and is taken from the mouth of the pit by traction engine and delivered as far as Pukaki, Orari, and Temuka. The demand for coal is increasing, and in 1902 orders were received for 1100 tons.
WILLETTS, John Morris, Proprietor of the Albury Coalpit, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1863, and came to Lyttelton the same year with his parents. After being in Christchurch for a time his father went prospecting for coal, opened the Prince Albert mine at Papakaio, and carried it on for thirty years. Mr J.M. Willets received his education at Papakaio, and worked with his father until 1893, when he took over management of the Albury Coalpit, which he leased five years later. Mr Willets was married, in 1890, to a daughter of Mr John Henderson, of Awamoko, Oamaru, and has five sons and one daughter.
ADAMSON, Thomas Farmer, Roseburn Farm, Albury. Mr Adamson was born in 1838 in Ayrshire, Scotland, where he began to work on a farm at an early age. In 1866 he came to Lyttelton by the ship "Victory," and engaged in contracting and general farmwork, besides working a small farm of sixty acres of freehold near Washdyke. After eight years he sold the property and bought, near Albury, twenty-one acres, which he used for cropping purposes. In the early days Mr Adamson built his own cob whare of three rooms, and planted trees, which now add greatly to the appearance of his section. While in Albury he was waggon driving for Mr J.S. Rutherford for about eighteen years. Mr Adamson was married in 1863, to a daughter of the late Mr A. Gibson, of Ayrshire, Scotland. His wife died in 1902, leaving a grown up family of four sons and two daughters.
ANNAN, James W., Farmer. "Annandale," Albury. Mr Annan was born in 1867, at Tumai, in Otago, where he was brought up to all classes of farming. He was for sometime engaged as a shepherd in several parts of Canterbury. In 1898 he was appointed manager of Pinaki station, by Mr W.K. Parbury, and continued with Mr C. Sawtell when that gentlemen purchased the property. Mr Annan acquired his present property in 1901, and carries on agriculture and sheep farming. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr R. Irving, of Brownhill, Albury, and has two children, a son and daughter.
Bankside Farm (J. Austin, proprietor), Albury. This property, comprises 1564 acres, was formerly part of the Levels estate, and was taken up by the present owner in 1896. Ti is situated close to the township of Albury, and is bounded on the south-west side by Rocky Gully. The land is well fenced and grassed, and is nearly all ploughable. About 550 acres is ploughed for oats and the remainder of the land runs 1500 ewes. There is a well sheltered residence of eight rooms, with a large orchard adjoining.
AUSTIN, James, Proprietor of Bankside Farm, was born at Selwyn, Canterbury, in 1865. He was educated at Winchester and worked on his father's farm until taking over his present property in 1896. Mr Austin is chairman of the Albury school committee, treasurer of the Presbyterian church committee, and a director of the Albury Saleyard Company. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr William Stewart, of Orari. Mrs Austin died in1899, leaving one daughter.
Brown Hill Station (Richard Irving, proprietor), Albury. The estate comprises 1775 acre freehold, and is situated about five miles from the township of Albury. It was originally part of the Levels estate, and was acquired from time to time by the proprietor who has now a complete and well fence station. Most of the land is ploughed, and in grass, and about 400 acres are cropped yearly. The homestead is built on a rise, and commands a splendid view. It is surrounded by a thick, well grown plantation of trees and a large orchard, while near by are the woolsheds, sheep-dip, stables with twelve stalls, and a loose box, and all other necessary outbuildings. In the front of the property two lakes have been made, and are the home of swans and ducks, and a number of goldfish.
IRVING, Richard, Proprietor of "Brown Hill," is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Mackenzie County Council.
CHARLES BROTHERS, (James, Frank, and Michael Charles), Farmers Albury. Messrs Charles are sons of Mr John Charles, an old resident of Rangitata, and were born in West Eyreton, and educated at Rangitata. In 1897 they leased their present farm of 350 acres at Albury. The land, which, with exception of thirty acres, is ploughable runs a flock of about 500 sheep; and 100 acres are kept in crop. The brothers have worked their property well and profitably and in 1902 acquired another block of 900 acres at Hilton, on which they run 1600 sheep.
CORBETT, Hugh, Farmer, "Cricklewood House," Albury. Mr Corbett, who is the fourth son of Mr Thomas Corbett, late of Kinallen, County Down, Ireland, came to Lyttelton in the ship "Charlotte Gladstone," in 1870. Two of his brothers had arrived in the colony in 1862; and his father, mother, and his brother Thomas, now of Mayfield, and his two sisters, now Mrs Sinclair, of Wakanui, and Mrs Simmons, of Makikihi, came out in 1871. Soon after landing Mr Corbett went to the Dunstan diggings, where he spent one year, but meeting very little success, he returned to Canterbury, and took over the old accommodation house at Burnham. He did not like that life, however, and decided to try storekeeping at Greendale, where he bought a section of land, and built a store, and carried on business for eight years. He thought he would try farming and bought 570 acres of land at Ruapuna. This he subsequently let, and bought a small farm near Timaru, but not caring for sea air, he bought his present farm of "Cricklewood House," which contains 1050 acres. Mr Corbett still owns his original estate at Ruapuna. He was married in 1871, to Miss P. Fulton, fourth daughter of the late Mr John Fulton, of Kinalen County Down, Ireland. Miss Fulton also came out by the "Charlotte Gladstone," and landed in February, 1871, exactly a year later than Mr Corbett.
HART, James Resse, Farmer, Albury. Mr Hart was born in 1875, in Christchurch, and attended school there and at Winchester where he afterwards worked in a flaxmill for about four years. He was farming with Mr R. Smith, of Winchester, for two years, and worked on several farms until 1897, when he took up his present property of 100 acres under a lease in perpetuity. Mr Hart has since cultivated the whole of his land, it is now well fenced, and he has erected a comfortable cottage. He is a member of the Tengawai school committee, and also of the Albury Forest Conservation Board. Mr Hart has been prominent in football circles, and has taken part in the local matches of various districts. He was married on the 4th of September, 1901, to a daughter of the late Mr J. Caswell, of Timaru.
HIGGS, William, Farmer, Albury. Mr Higgs was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1852, and came to Timaru with his parents in 1863. He followed work at Gleniti, and about 1875 started cropping and contract ploughing in the district with his father. In 1878, in conjunction with other members of his family, Mr Higgs acquired his present farm of 150 acres freehold, on which he runs about 200 ewes. He and his wife were among the earliest settlers of Albury, and their property has now been well fenced and much improved altogether. Mr Higgs was for sometime a member of the local school committee, and is now a shareholder in the Albury Saleyards, the "Timaru Post," and the South Canterbury Dairy Company. He was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Mr Albert Smith, of Albury, and has five sons and three daughters.
Monavale Estate, consists of 3000 acres of freehold land. It is near Coal Creek, was originally part of the Levels station, and was purchased by the late Mr A.B. Smith. There is an exceptionally fine stud of Merino sheep connected with the property. Mr Smith established this flock in 1884 by the purchase of 105 ewes from Mr H.R. Kermode, of Monavale, Tasmania, and of three rams from the Hon. James Gibson, of Bellvue. This flock came into the possession of the Messrs Smith Brothers in 1891, and was subsequently removed to "Waratah," near Albury.
Smith, A.B., the founder of the flock, was born in 1833 in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and was apprenticed to the business of shipbuilding. He subsequently traded to New Zealand with three ships of his own, one built by himself and two purchased, but he sold out in 1861 and purchased the Merino Downs station in Southern Otago. After selling out that property he settled in the Mackenzie Country and eventually bought "Monavale." Mr Smith was for sometime chairman of the Mackenzie County Council. He was gored to death by a bull in 1896. Mr F. Smith, the third son, who manages Waratah station, contested the Timaru seat with the Hon. W. Hall-Jones at the general election of 1896, and also at that of November 1902, when he received 1394 votes.
Opawa Station, Albury - This station was purchased by the present proprietor, in partnership with his brother, Mr Robert Rutherford, in 1870. It then consisted of 33,00 acres, of which only 1600 acres were freehold. There were very few building, mo trees, and the improvements consisted of two paddocks - one of five acres. and the other of 700 acres. The total area of the station is now 21,000 acres, of which 11,300 acres are freehold, and the balance leasehold. There are 100 miles of fencing on the property, 5000 acres have been brought under cultivation, and 100 acres have been planted with a choice selection of trees. The improvements at the homestead consist of a good dwellinghouse and other buildings, lawns, orchard and garden, and ponds with water lilies. Merinos and crossbred sheep are kept on the property, and there is a small stud herd of Hereford cattle. Mr Rutherford bought his brother's interest in the property in 1877.
RUTHERFORD, J. S., the Proprietor, was born in Victoria in 1846, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1860. He passed his early years at Leslie Hills. Mr Rutherford served on the Mount Cook Road Board until it merged into the Mackenzie County Council, and since then has served on the County Council. He is chairman of the Albury Saleyard Company, has been twice president of the South Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association and is a life member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, at the shows of which he has been a successful competitor. His four-in-hand tandem ponies have always attracted much attention. Mr Rutherford drove Lord and Lady Onslow and family through the Mount Cook country, through Central Otago, and on to Invercargill . He is a keen sportsman and kept the South Canterbury hounds for four years at Albury at his own expense; he has long acted as president or judge in connection with all races and cricket and football matches throughout his wide district. Mr Rutherford married Miss Brown, and has three children.
["Nothing but Grass and Wind the Rutherfords of
by Janet Holm.
Press, Christchurch. 2000
John Scott Rutherford married Elizabeth Mary Brown,1850-1910 daughter of James Brown of Otipua House, Timaru at St Mary's Anglican Church on 11th September 1873.]
MILNE, James Imlay was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1836. He arrived in Port Chalmers in 1863, and after some experience in gold digging commenced farming in Otago. With Messrs W. Evans and F. Le Cren he took up Strathallan station, which he and his partners were interested in for eighteen years, After selling his interest, Mr Milne settled in Albury in 1897. In the early days he was a member of the Mount Cook Road Board, and was lore than once chairman of the Mackenzie County Council. Mr Milne was married at Otepopo, in 1868, to a daughter of the late Mr William Pringle. Mrs Milne died in 1882, leaving five sons and three daughters. Mr Milne is an elder and superintendent of the Albury Sunday school. [Otepopo is a district situated 21 km south of Oamaru]
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
The Albury Tavern - colour scheme based on the local team rugby colours