'Geraldine ..the first 150 years' says that "The Temuka Leader reported on 3 June 1909 that a brass band had been formed and application was made to the Geraldine Borough Council for use of the instruments abandoned by the old band."
1926 was the year of the Dunedin Exhibition with all the very latest advancements in technology, art and entertainment. This exhibition had an unusual connection with Geraldine. The Geraldine Silver Band had been managing with rough old instruments for years, and the English instrument makers ‘Boosey and Hawkes’ had a full set of their very latest instruments at the exhibition. These instruments were purchased by the Geraldine Silver Band.
1. 2. 3.
Photographs courtesy of Brian Ashby, Geraldine,
1. Probably the First Silver Band in Geraldine. The drum was black with steel rods holding it together.
2. World War One era. Later bands had a drum with white ropes and white leather tuning clamps. Clarrie Ashby was conductor of the Geraldine Silver Band from somewhere in the 1930s to the late 1960s. These photos above are from Brian Ashby's collection.
3. Geraldine Silver Band in the 1930s. Players named:
Bill Gaby, Johnny Davies, Andy Taylor, Manny Brown, Fred Benbow.
Len Bright, Bill Kerr, Dan Brett, Ron Sadler, Ray Dickens, Joe Kerr, Les Brown, Jim Lorimar.
Jimmy Johnston, Bob Brown, Athol Wills, Clary Ashby, W.A. Sherratt, Charlie Bennington, Jim Pugh, Doug Smith.
Jack Brown, Bernie Cotterel.
Usually Anzac Day we had good frosts--I can remember playing in the Silver Band and having all the breath condense in the instruments causing a bubbly sort of sound, but that didn't happen this year. Firstly, the band doesn't exist any more, and secondly there wasn't a frost. GT, May. 2006
The Geraldine News
3 May 2012
In 1937 the Anzac Day parade started at the top end of Talbot Street by North End Motors and marched all the way down to the War Memorial. Until 1937 the parade was led by the bugle band and when that disbanded, the Geraldine brass band took over. It was particularly had to play the trumpet and march down the street. Before the second World War the Geraldine Anzac service was held in the town hall, now the Geraldine Cinema. The men wore suits. It was a pretty solemn day. The mayor, town dignitaries and ministers of all religions except the Roman Catholic priest attended the ceremony. At that time the Catholic church deemed it 'illicit for the faithful to assist at or participate in any way in non- Catholic religious functions." Because of this, none of the Catholic returned soldiers or band members would attend the ceremony. "All the Catholic boys stopped at the door." The brass band provided the accompaniment to the hymns, and after the service everyone went out to the war memorial. Someone would read the names of the fallen while the flag was lowered to The Last Post. After the Second World War there were too many returned soldiers from both world wars to fit inside the town hall. The ceremony was therefore held outside, around the war memorial, were it continues to be held today.
How did the band raise money for their uniforms and instruments?
Geraldine had a band on and off for a very long time. The Queen Carnival was a fund raiser for organisations in Geraldine, the Geraldine Silver Band was one of these organisations, and over the years there were many such fund raising events. The other form of income was the annual Christmas Carol trips around the district. In the 1950s -1960s the band members and supporters would all climb on the back of a truck and sit on forms that had been tied on. They would do one district a night, caroling at each farm house in turn. Woodbury / Fourpeaks, then next night Tripp Settlement to Orari. Another night would be Winchester and so on until the whole district was caroled and canvassed. We collected large amounts of money as well as over indulged in copious quantities of Christmas Cheer. They were good times, but it was very hard work not to mention the discomfort of having to have the splinters from the old forms pulled out from our backsides after the truck had made an emergency stop to dodge a stray lamb, or cow, or whatever could be on a country road in those days.
Info courtesy of G. Toomey, Geraldine. Posted Sept. 11 2008
I do remember even up to 1990 that a band either a silver band or a brass band as they were sometimes called, each Christmas would set themselves up on the back of a truck and go around the streets of Geraldine playing Christmas carols. Jenny B. Sept. 2008.
This event took place in 1926.
In 1926 at the Geraldine Town Hall at the last night of a Queen Carnival, when the queen of the carnival would be crowned, three organisations represented with their Queens, one was the sports club, second one may have been the cycling club, and the third was the Geraldine Silver Band. This photo, a picture taken from the stage looking back at the crowd in the Town Hall, can be dated, as it can be seen that there are indeed electric lights, and the projection box has more than one set of ports. This was done after the first projector was installed at the wrong floor level. Power didn't come to Geraldine until 1925 and the projectors for the theatre didn't come to Geraldine until about February 1926, after the November 25 Dunedin Exhibition. The Town Hall was built in 1924 and originally only had one projector.
Style of dress in 1926. The hall was crowded with approximately 350 citizens seated and another fifty gentleman standing along the back walls, the men wearing white shirts and ties with their hats in their laps. It must have been a cool night with no heating in the hall as as many men and women are wearing overcoats and fur coats and a couple of woman with hats have a woollen tartan blanket over their legs. A few of the men are wearing bow ties, vests and scarves. There were very few elderly folks or children present.
Geraldine Volunteer Brass Band
SHERRATT, THOMAS, General Storekeeper, Talbot Street, Geraldine. Mr. Sherratt, is the eldest son of the late Mr. Amos Sherratt. He was born at Coventry, England, in 1852, and came with his parents to New Zealand in 1863 by the vessel Captain Cook to Lyttelton. Mr. Sherratt has for a number of years taken great interest in musical matters, and when the Geraldine Choral Society was in existence he was its conductor, and still taken conductorship at musical performances in the town. He is organist of the Presbyterian Church, and was bandmaster of the Geraldine Volunteer Band for seven years. Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 872-879 Published 1903
Grey River Argus, 3 October 1914, Page 6
The following is the completed personnel of the Canterbury Expeditionary Force Band, which is under the control of Sergeant W. H. Osborne, late solo cornetist of the 2nd Regiment Band, Timaru: — Sergeant .W. T. Osborne (band sergeant); Sergeant A. J. Bennington, Corporal J. 0. Sullivan. The bandmaster (Sergeant Osborne) is a champion corntist of the Dominion; Williams is one of Woolston's capable trombone trio; Bennington is from Geraldine, where he had been a leading spirit in band matters of that town; Sullivan hails from Waimate; Harlowe came from Oamaru; Kelly is from the West Coast and was formerly a member of the Kaikoura Band; Keay left the ranks of the Salvation Army Band at Timaru to join the contingent band.
BENNINGTON, Sergeant Alexander, CIB, who died of wounds on June 2, was a son of Mr Bennington of Geraldine. He was a sergeant in the territorials and was also a member of the Geraldine Brass Band. He was 24 yrs of age. [AWN 01.07.1915] Buried at Beach Cemetery at Anzac Cove.
- Early brass bands in South Canterbury
Temuka's volunteer band played as early as 26 December 1866.
A concert was held 26 January 1877 by the Timaru Band.
Timaru Herald, 24 March 1879, Page 2
The Geraldine people are decidedly musical. Anyone requiring proof of this should have been present a few evenings ago, when a full parade of the Geraldine Minstrels took place. These "minstrels" can scarcely be designated a "brass band," since their instruments are for the most part composed of tin, and are as inexpensive as they are varied in size, shape, and tone. Most of the said instruments are second-hand, too, having previously served as receptacles for kerosene. This, however, does not destroy their utility, or impair their tone, as anyone who heard them the other evening could testify. About twelve o'clock on the evening referred to we were roused from our slumbers by a burst of "instruments." I imagined the Kellys were coming down, or the school children were attempting to sing the New Zealand Anthem, or something equally terrible was about to happen. My fears were groundless, however, as I afterwards found it was only the "minstrels" parading in honor of the return home of a gentleman recently married. I don't know whether the gentleman had the good taste to appreciate the disinterested conduct of our local musicians, but they deserved something.
Timaru Herald, 9 October 1884, Page 7
GERALDINE RACING CLUB'S ANNUAL MEETING.
The Geraldine Brass Band played on the lawn during the day.
Timaru Herald, 23 October 1886, Page 2
On Thursday evening last, the members of the Geraldine Brass Band gave an entertainment in the Oddfellows' Hall in that township in aid of the fund for purchasing new instruments. During the earlier part of the evening the band paraded the town, playing several lively tunes. The Hall was crowded in every part. Lieutenant Ward, the officer commanding the Geraldine Volunteer Rifles, presided, and briefly animadverted to the object for which the entertainment was being given. The proceedings commenced with an overture by the band, followed by several songs ably rendered by Mrs Porteous, the Misses Andrews, Miller, and Beckley, and Messrs Wilkinson, Penney, Logan, and T. Sherratt. After an interval the farce "Phelim O'Toole's Courtship " was placed on the boards. Mr G. Kruse sustained the character of Phelim O'Toole, Mr H. B. Pratt, as Larry, Mr H. Chiverson, as Biddy O'Toole, Mr W. Fleming, as Father O'Hara ; Mr W. Sherratt, as Biddy Doran ; and Mr W. Stonehouse, junr. as Peggy Donovan. Everything passed off without a hitch, and the large and appreciative audience was dismissed iv the utmost good humour. The bandmaster, Mr T. Sherratt, prior to the closing of the entertainment thanked them for their attendance, and also those who had so kindly assisted to render it a success.
Timaru Herald, 28 December 1887, Page 4
At 10 p.m. the Geraldine Brass Band paraded the town performing selections of music, and at midnight they took the place of the time-honoured Christmas waits. The night was beautifully calm and moonlight, the latter somewhat marring the effect of the Chinese lanterns placed outside some of the stores.
Timaru Herald, 3 January 1888, Page 3
Geraldine. The season's festivities were, however, kept up yesterday, it being a close holiday in the township. The members of the Welcome Retreat Lodge, No. 44. I.O.G.T., mustered in full force at the Good Templar Hall at an early hour, and headed by the Geraldine Volunteer Brass Band, were conveyed to Peel Forest, where they held their anniversary picnic in a paddock belonging to Mr G. J. Dennistoun which had been placed at their disposal for the day.
Timaru Herald, 21 January 1889, Page
The annual exhibition m connection with the Geraldine Floral and Horticultural Society was held in the Volunteer Hall, Geraldine, on Thursday last. The Geraldine Volunteer Band were m attendance during the afternoon and evening, and considerably enlivened the proceedings with their music.
Timaru Herald, 19 March 1889, Page 3
GERALDINE ANNUAL PUBLIC SPORTS.
To make things more lively the committee had engaged the services of the Geraldine Brass Band, the strains of which through the day added materially to the success of the meeting.
Timaru Herald, 5 August 1892, Page 3
Geraldine has been to the fore in setting an example to South Canterbury in its response to the request of the Government to set apart the 4th August (Arbor Day) for tree planting. At 10 a.m. the children, some 400, assembled at the junction of the main road with the Pleasant Valley road ; a procession was formed, headed by the Geraldine brass band, followed by the school children, 3 carts containing trees to be planted, the teachers and committee. The whole wended its way along the main road, turning off into Wilson street, and thence to the school ground. Prior to the proceedings commencing, the children, under the leadership of Mr J. Colbert, second master, sang "God defend New Zealand." On arrival each child was placed opposite a hole— dug previously under the supervision of the teachers, members of the planting committee, and the gardeners residing in Geraldine— and planted a tree (there must have been 500 of the latter). At the conclusion of the work, the youngsters were drawn up in line at the side of the school and regaled with buns and tea grace being first said by the Rev. W. Woollass. The children were assembled in the long room, and addressed by the Rev. W. Woollass (Primitive Methodist minister at present stationed in Geraldine), Messrs T. C. Farnie (head master of the school), R.Y. Fergusson, and C. E. Sherratt (members of the planting committee). The band gave their services gratuitously, and played several selections of music during the day. The thanks of the school committee are given to one and all concerned in tendering the proceedings such a pronounced success, especially to the three gentlemen (Messrs J. Pye, S. Chapman, and M. Coombs) who generously gave 100 trees each, and assisted the children in planting them.
Timaru Herald, 27 December 1893, Page 3
During the night the members of the Geraldine Brass Band wended their way through the town, making the stillness of the night echo with their sacred strains.
Timaru Herald, 3 January 1894, Page 3
The New Year was ushered in a very quiet manner, the only demonstration being too parading of the streets by the Geraldine band, playing several tunes in a manner highly creditable to themselves and Mr E. Robson, the bandmaster.
Timaru Herald, 9 May 1894, Page 3
For some little while past the Geraldine Rifle Volunteers have had under their consideration the near disbandment of the corps, and the breaking up of the brass band connected with them. On Monday evening last the final scene was enacted, and the disbandment took place in the Volunteer Hall. The corps had been in existence about eight years, and were warmly supported by a large number of young men who joined. Mr W.M. Moore was requested to take command as captain, and did so, George Ward and K. Mackenzie being elected first and second lieutenants respectively. On Lieutenant Ward retiring from the Volunteers, Mr B. R. Macdonald became second lieutenant, Captain Moore being promoted to the rank of Major. Mr B. H. Pearpoint was chosen Captain.
Timaru Herald, 24 November 1900, Page 3
The Geraldine Fire Brigade held their annual competition for prizes given by citizens on Thursday afternoon in the domain. The Geraldine men were also working with old out-of-date plant. The bandsmen's race was won by Drummer W. Sherratt, with Bandsman Wallach second; and the officials race by Mr E. Tasker, with Mr J. W. Pye second. The Geraldine Brass Band enlivened the proceedings with some good airs during the afternoon.
North Otago Times, 20 March 1877, Page 2 Opening of the Waimate Railway.
Yesterday was a day long to be remembered by our neighbors of the thriving and pretty town of Waimate, as being that of the occurrence of an event, the most important which has yet marked its career — the opening of the branch railway which connects its with the main trunk line and then followed a long list of toasts and speeches, which occupied some three hours in all. On the platform was the popular chairman of the Waimate County Council Mr J. Bruce and the Mayor of Timaru, Mr G. Cliff. ...In the foreground was the Waimate Brass Band, under the leadership of the Mr Graham, late bandmaster of Oamaru.
North Otago Times, 24 September 1877, Page 2
The Hall was then cleared, and a procession, headed by an effigy and the Waimate Brass Band, marched up High street to the corner of Queen street, the front of Mrs Potter's Hotel, thence back to High street, proceeding along until Sherman street was arrived at, thence up Sherman street to the Bush Road, thence on to the reserve in front of the railway station.
Otago Witness, 27 January 1888, Page 17
Geraldine. January 19.— We have had our Christmas beef and plum pudding, our waits played by our volunteer brass band, have wished the "compliments of the season " almost to friends and foes alike, have seen the old year out and the new year in, have formed our annual batch of good resolutions, some of which, judging by the conduct of well-known topers, are broken already, and again we have settled down into the exceedingly even tenor of our ways at the beautiful little township. Geraldine known, far and near, as being one of the prettiest little country townships in the whole of Canterbury. Geraldine is situated about 24 miles to the north-east of Timaru, and is accessible by an excellent macadamised road which is, with the exception of two or three miles near Timaru, almost on a dead level. It can also be readied by taking the train to Orari, and thence travelling by Messrs J. Mundell and Co.'s coach a distance of five miles.
New Zealand Tablet, 25 March 1898, Page 27
St. Patrick's Day Celebrations, Geraldine.
The Temuka Brass Band, and Pipers McKechnie, Murray, Frost, Davidson and Cooper, discoursed appropriate and enjoyable music during the day.
New Zealand Tablet, 23 March 1899, Page 31
The annual sports gathering under the auspices of the Geraldine St. Patrick's Day Sports Association came off on March 17, when the weather was gloriously fine and the attendance was a most representative one. About eleven o'clock the officials met in front of Loudens Hotel and marched through the town in procession, headed by the pipers and followed by the Temuka Brass Band. At intervals the public were entertained by pleasant strains of music, the Temuka Brass Band having been engaged for the occasion.
Taranaki Herald, 15 December 1904, Page 5
The Timaru Garrison Band has appointed Herr Fritz Paul conductor. There were eleven applications from New Zealand and Australia. Professor Paul is at present conductor of the Braidwood Band in New South Wales.
Otago Witness, 3 July 1907, Page 63
A change of conductors has taken place with the Timaru bands. Mr Claude Davie having resigned from the Timaru Marine, his place is filled by Mr H. Mayo, of the Garrison, Mr H. Necklen (the euphonium player) succeeding Mr Mayo.
Otago Witness 20 May 1908, Page 37
A contest for second-class bands, promoted by the Timaru Marine Band, is to be held in Timaru on Labour Day. Between 35 and 40 business men have guaranteed £347, and of 34 bands invited to compete, eight have already signified their intention of doing so.
Otago Witness 9 September 1908, Page 68
Mr Edwin Hunter has accepted an offer to play soprano cornet for the Timaru Marine Band (conductor, Mr Harry Mayo) at the forthcoming contest at Timaru on Labour Day, October 9. The band has just received a full set of Hawke's sonorous instruments. The soprano is a real beauty. The Timaru Marine Band is playing " Mount Egmont" (Trussell) as its own choice march. It has a most telling soprano part. The test seleotion is "Gems of Haydn" (Rimmer).
Ashburton Guardian, 14 October 1908, Page 3
The contest has attracted people from as far as Christchurch and Dunedin, while Oamaru, Ashburton, Waimate, and intervening districts are strongly represented. It is estimated that fully 3000 people arrived by this morning's trains, and it is expected that 10,000 will be on Caledonian grounds to witness the quickstep competitions this afternoon. In the procession from town shortly after one o'clock there were eight brass and three pipe bands ; in all, about 250 bandsmen. In the quartette competition the Ashburton Temperance Band has been placed second.
Timaru October 13. In the evening the competitions were resumed at the Theatre Royal.
Quartets— Timaru Marine, "Echo in Gebarge
Trombone trios. "The "Lifeboat" Timaru Marine.
The results were:
Drum competition — Cole and Jacobs (Lyttelton Marine) I; Hall and Clarke- (Timaru Marine) 2
Quartets — Timaru Marine (W. Taylor, R. R. Munro, S. Burnip and W. Craig), 81 points,
Trombone trios —Timaru Marine. (A. Pearce, E. Scales and E. Williams), 2 points, 1
Euphoniums —J. Stubberfield (Elite) 84; W. Sullivan (Lyttelton Marine) 81; W. Craig (Timaru Marine) 80.; A.: Hall (Caversham) 77 ; W. Newman (Bluff- Navals) 74 ; A. Beck (Timaru Marine) 74.
Tenor Horns— L. Wendelborn (Lyttelton Marine) 82 ; J. Storrie (Dominion) 80 ; L. Terris (Ashburton Temperance) 79 ; E. Hunter (Timaru Marine) 75 B Flat Trombones—A. Pearce (Timaru Marine) 74 ;
In a competition in four bugle calls, for Defence and School Cadets, there were four contestants. The winner turned up in J. Burns (Timaru Main), who played the calls very cleanly and with good expression where this was called for. He was awarded 53 points out of 60. A. Segar (Timaru Main), 39 points.
Ashburton Guardian, 29 March 1910, Page 4
The Quickstep Competition at Temuka yesterday was won by the Ashburton Temperance Band with 281 points, the Christchurch Elite 279.25 points, and Timaru Marine 278 points. For drill the Ashburton Temperance band secured 1721, music 109 points. Christchurch Elite: Drill 165.5 points, music 114 points. Timaru Marine: Drill 173.5 points, music 105 points. Mr Sidney Wolf was the musical judge, and Lieutenant-Colonel McKenzie and Sergeant-Major Jones the military judges.
Evening Post, 12 February 1914, Page 3
Competitions in Auckland. 11th February. Additional band contest results: — Trombone Trio.— Queen Alexandra's (Wanganui), 90, 1; Kaikoura Brass, 88, 2. Also competed : 2nd South Canterbury 85. Quartet. — Wanganui Garrison, 90, 1 ; 2nd South Canterbury No. 1, 87; South Canterbury, No. 2,
Evening Post, 16 February 1914, Page 4
Auckland,15th February The Exhibition Band Contest was concluded on Saturday. The following are the result's of the Quickstep March competitions : A Grade— Waihi Federal, 268 points, 1; Palmerston North, 262½ points, 2; 3rd Auckland Regimental, 262 points., 3. The other bands were placed in the following order : — Auckland Garrison, 260, Kaikoura, 256 ; Queen Alexandra's Own, 251.5 South Canterbury, 251.
Drums Solo Contest — A. E. Price (16th Waikato Regimental) 86 points (gold medal), 1; J. Blackwood (2nd South Canterbury Regiment), 85 points (silver medal), 2.
The massed bands wound up (the afternoon by playing the " Imperator March" and the National Anthem. The aggregates were thereafter computed with the following results : — Besson Challenge Shield, for the highest aggregate points in selections and for music in the quickstep competition, formerly held by Waihi, was won by the Second South Canterbury Regimental with 313. The Hawkes Challenge Shield for highest aggregate marks, including A grade test selections and quickstep competition, was won by the Auckland Regimental with 555. The next highest were Second South Canterbury, 546.
Evening Post, 18 February 1914, Page 2
Return of the Champions.
Christchurch. 17th Feb. The South Canterbury Regimental Band, from Timaru, which won the Besson Shield and other honours at the Auckland, Exhibition contest, spent a few hours in Christchurch this morning, and gave a short concert in the band rotunda in Victoria-square. The band was welcomed by the Mayor, who said that it was a matter of congratulation that Canterbury should send such an efficient band to the Auckland contest. The province ought to be proud of its young men. The victory was specially meritorious in view of the fact that, in Timaru, bandsmen had fewer facilities than were afforded in larger centres.
Timaru, 17th February. The victorious, Second Regimental Band was welcomed home from Auckland by a large cheering crowd at the railway station, where the Mayor made a speech of congratulation. [Conductor: A. Schnack]
VE & VJ Day
From the Timaru Herald
"The war in Europe ended on 7 May 1945 when the Germans gave an unconditional surrender. A citizens VE Thanksgiving Service was held at the Sound Shell and this was followed in the evening by a torchlight procession and bonfire on the bay. At the citizens service, the children marched from King Georges building along Church St, into Stafford St, and to the Bay via the viaduct. The Timaru Municipal Band, the Timaru High School Band & Salvation Army Band marched to the strains of "Colonel Bogey". [ so familiar as the theme tune for the British film 'Bridge on the River Kwai']. The Pipe band led the Boys Brigade, Girls Life Brigade and Girl Guides and they were then followed by the Harmonica Band. Later that day, the torchlight procession moved off from the National Chambers led by the Municipal band, Boys High school band, Salvation Army Band, Highland Pipe Band and the Harmonica Band.
19 December 1904 the rotunda at Caroline Bay was erected. Band rotundas were also erected in the Timaru Botanical Gardens, Russell Square, Timaru and Waimate has iconic King Edward VII Memorial Band Rotunda on Seddon St.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 22 September 1903, Page 2
Timaru, September 21. Charles Bowker, a resident of Timaru for 38 years, made a free gift to the residents of a band rotunda and 12 garden seats to be placed on the Market Reserve, which is near the centre of the Borough. He wishes the, gift to mark his 40 years in the colony. (Architect D West).
Grey River Argus, 29 April 1904, Page 3
Timaru, April, 28. A large gathering this afternoon witnessed the presentation to the town of the band rotunda in Alexandra square, the gift of C. Bowker. The rotunda and Park seats cost about £600. This is the first gift of the kind, and Mayor Cragie in accepting the gift hoped that it would be only the first of the kind. Advantage was taken of the gathering to present medals to the local members of the 8th, 9th, and 10th Contingents.
New Zealand Tablet, 5 May 1904, Page 5
May 3. The new band rotunda on Alexandra Square, which Mr. Bowker has generously presented to the citizens of Timaru, was formally taken over and opened by the Mayor, Mr. Craigie, on Thursday afternoon in the presence of a large gathering. The rotunda is octagonal in form and has a substantial and graceful appearance. The people of Timaru claim that it is the premier rotunda in New Zealand ; be this as it may, it is, without doubt, an acquisition to the town for which the townspeople are duly grateful.
Grey River Argus, 23 December 1904, Page 3 Opening of the Band Rotunda
Timaru, Dec. 22 The brass bands of Ashburton, Temuka, and Waimate, joined the three bands of Timaru to-day in the ceremony of opening the new band rotunda on Caroline Bay sands, and a good crowd of people were present in spite of a hot norwester blowing. About £2,400 has been spent in improving the Bay by earthwork, planting and building in the last two years.
Erected in 1911 by the footballers and community of Timaru to commemorate the coronation of King George V. (Architect Hall & Marchant.)
"Opening of the Coronation Band Rotunda, in the Park, Timaru 14 March 1912. The Mayoress, Mrs Craigie Cutting the Ribbon". Real photo by W. Ferrier 204.
Timaru bands pre 1915 included:
Garrison Band (14 Jan 1909, 22 members marched in the Jubilee Procession, under Drum Major Elgin, playing new instruments)
Timaru Marine Band
Timaru Municipal Brass Band (pre 1882)
South Canterbury Pipe Band
South Canterbury Regimental Band
Timaru Volunteer Artillery Corps Band (T.V.A. Band) (Timaru Artillery Band) (pre1873) Mr Hunter, the bandmaster
The Temuka Brass Band (pre 1881)
Hibernian Band (pre 1885)
Timaru Caledonian Band (pre 1879)
Timaru Brass Band (1867)
Timaru Volunteer Rifles formed May 1867 - drum and fife band
Arowhenua Band (played for the Governor, Sir G. Grey Feb. 1867)
Royal Arowhenua Brass Band (1867)
Timaru Herald, 1 September 1866, Page 2
On Thursday last the laying of the foundation stone for a Freemasons' Hall for the use of the members of the Lodge of St John, Timaru, was performed with full Masonic ceremony ; A brass band, also made its appearance.
Timaru Herald, 2 February 1867, Page 2
The brass band have nearly got all their instruments, the last batch is expected by to-night's coach. They have not practised much together as yet, but they are not lazy m private practice, and it is somewhat laughable at times to hear the different players m their respective houses (nearly all together),- " Annie Laurie" on one side of the street, being invited to " Take this cup of sparkling wine" with " The whistling thief " on the other, to a solo accompaniment on the big drum of " Yankee Doodle." However, when all the players get together, we shall be able to challenge your Timaru band.
Timaru Herald, 13 February 1867, Page 6
His Excellency expressed himself much pleased with his reception, and proceeded to the platform where the band was playing ; and after examining the instruments, &c, congratulated the players on their efficiency, and after some few remarks, requested that the band might be under his especial patronage, (a high honor, indeed, for this small community). After a stay of about half-an-hour, a procession was formed, headed by the band, Sir George Grey and A. Cox, Esq., next, and marched to the Maori pa, where again his Excellency was greeted with great cheering, both by natives and others. The road was covered with Maori mats up to the church, where a native levee was held ; and Solomon Pohio, the principal chief now here, made a short speech, congratulating the Governor on his visit, and asking him, if possible, to take off the tax on Maori dogs, and complaining about the supposed injustice done them by the main road running through their land. In reply, it was stated that ho (Sir G. Grey) could not interfere with the law, and that if any grievances had to be made, it would be wiser to send them to the Government; but he was very glad to meet such a peaceful lot of natives, and congratulated them on their position in contradistinction to some of the Maoris in the North. After a few more remarks, his Excellency retired to his carriage, and drove off amidst loud cheers, the band playing "God save the Queen." The return trip was earlier than was expected, and although the coach stayed to change horses, Mr Cox and his guest started almost immediately on horseback for Raukapuka, the residence of Mr Cox.
Timaru Herald, 4 March 1887, Page 3 TIMARU GARRISON BAND.
The new instruments for this band which have just been imported from Home by Messrs C. Begg and Co., Besson's agent in this Colony, were on view at Messrs Begg's local music saloon, Theatre Royal buildings, yesterday, and were greatly admired by passers by. The instruments are 28 in number, and came out by the Tainui on her last trip. The complete list is as follows
1 Soprano (silver)
3 B Flats (silver) Cornets.
5 B Flats (brass)
2 E Flat basses
1 B Flat bass
2 Tenor Slide Trombones
1 Bass Slide Trombone
1 Bass Drum (specially made to order)
2 Side Drums
1 Drum Major's Staff and Sash
The presentation was made last evening at the drill shed by Major Hamersley, the other garrison officers present being Captain Jackson, and Lieutenants Begg, Smithson and Withers. Each man as he received his instrument from Bandmaster Sydney Wolf, on behalf of the Major, signed his name to a declaration that he would take every care of his instrument, and in the event of leaving the band or district would return it in good order and condition. The instruments were all in iron bound wooden cases well finished, and some amusement was created when the B and E flat bass instrument holders marched out with them on their shoulders, the cases being ponderous affairs. As soon as all the instruments were distributed, the bandsmen, to the number of 26, formed a circle in the shed and at once put their new weapons to practical test. The marches Old Memories" and "Love's Greeting," and the grand selection Tannhauser" were played, and making allowance for the mouthpieces of the new instruments being different to the old ones, and the players lips being out," the music was very good. The tone was rich and mellow, and the absence of a harsh brassy Bound was conspicuous. The playing of the National Anthem concluded, officers and men retired to the reading room, where the instruments were wetted." The toast of Her Majesty the Queen having been honored m true military style, Bandmaster Wolf rose and proposed the toast of "Major Hamersley, the President of the Band Fund." He had helped the band m every possible way, and it was greatly through his exertions that the new instruments had been provided. Bandmaster Wolf added that all the men wished the Major every success, a most pleasant voyage Home, and hoped to see him among them afterwards and taking a pride and pleasure m their affairs. ("Loud applause.) The toast having been drunk with three times three for Major, Mrs Hamersley, and the children, Major Hamersley thanked them heartily on behalf of himself and Mrs Hamersley for the way they had honoured the toast. Mrs Hamersley especially had enjoyed the music played at different times by the band very much indeed, and had most pleasant recollections of happy evenings spent with them, especially the one when solo cornet player and leader Thos. Perry, was presented with a silver cornet. Passing on, Major Hamersley said that it was essential a military band should be a good one half the charm of volunteering was lost were it not so. The present band wa3 a very good indeed (applause) and he was very happy to state that though it had had its troubles and trials, it was now m a very flourishing state. (Hear, hear.) Ho would now m return propose the health of "The Timaru Garrison Band," coupled with the name of Bandmaster Wolf. He (the Major) well remembered its inauguration eight or nine years ago, and as he looked round saw some of the then members, such as Leader Perry, Band Sergeant Morris, Drummer Stevenson, all of whom had stuck manfully to the band all along. (Hear, hear.) Major Hamersley then spoke of the instruments at this time used, and related a laughable incident m connection with the same. The instruments had belonged to a society here. One Sunday they tried to regain possession by force, when his lieutenant came along with a file of men and routed the besiegers. (Laughter.) But the band had never a good set of instruments until now even when members won the exhibition contest at Christchurch they were much handicapped on account of their instruments. However, he was sure the band was now on the high road to success, especially as they had such a splendid conductor in Mr Wolf, who very soon would have his band so efficient that they would show the way to the other bands of the colony. (Loud applause.) Bandmaster Wolf briefly replied, thanking the Major most heartily for the toast, and hoping that, they would accept his statement that, he would rather conduct a selection than make a speech, in apology for his brief reply. Mr Huggins (local agent for Begg and Co.) then proposed the health of the officers of the garrison, after which several other toasts were honored and a jolly evening spent.
National Brass Band Contest - Timaru - July 2012
St. Kilda Brass marching down Stafford St. July 2012
Twenty-eight bands, made up of 1300 musicians,
took part in the National Brass Band Championships, from Wednesday 4th July
2012. Timaru took responsibility for the contest when it became evident that the
selected host - Christchurch - could not guarantee access to performance venues
in the city. The contest comprised of
solos, ensembles and full band events,
together with a street march and an entertainment contest event which closed the
contest on the Sunday. Events started with an invitation slow melody at Mountainview High
School, along with solos and party events at Aoraki Polytechnic. The contest
started on Friday, with A and B grade performances at the Theatre Royal and C and
D grade performances at the Mountainview High School auditorium. The street
lead by a pipe band
marched down on
Stafford St. from Cannon St. to Strathallan St. It was
downhill all the way, a long march, about 1km, with about 2000 watching.
Mosgiel. It was
a beautiful day... so good after all the cold weather so it put a spring in
their step. The top A-grade
Australian band Footscray-Yarraville City Band, from Melbourne also
Crambridge won the D grade -
A grade winner - Woolston for the fourth consecutive year.
B grade winner - Eastern BOP.
C grade - winner Papakura RSA
Timaru Brass took top honours in the street march in the B-grade category and Woolston for grade A.
Soloist - Anthony Smith, Alpine Energy Timaru Brass (Cornet)
Timaru SHAKES!! The Band of the Year entertainment competition performance was on Sunday 7 July 2012 at the Theatre Royal with the Alpine Energy Timaru Brass Band shaking the house with the world premier of 7.1, composer Dwayne Bloomfield from Timaru. Dwayne was born in Timaru and started learning the euphonium at age 10. He was educated at TBHS and joined the army band from school in 1987. He has played for the Timaru Brass, of which he is now conductor, Ashburton Brass and Addington Brass. Ten bass drums were positioned around the theatre recreated the terrifying memory that every Cantabrian shares again and again. Torches searched the darkened theatre. The introduction slowly became deafening. Lovely poignant music were accompanied by images from Christchurch, a city shaken, still. The piece ends in "dust." An emotional journey, well done. The piece was meant to end with a solitary cell phone ringing but the crowd burst into applause before the finish. Then the Woolston Brass band did a musical tribute to servicemen - "2012 RNZAF 75th anniversary". Woolston Brass always presents a fantastic Anzac Day concert. Band of the Year - Woolston. TH
The second performance.
Timaru Alpine Energy Brass Band bringing the house down with a new composition "7.1"
Timaru Alpine Energy Brass Band, 36 band members ranged in age from 12 to pensioners, performing The Cossack Wedding Dance.
The NZ Brass Band competitions were in Timaru in 1935. The weather was gloriously fine, after a fairly heavy rainfall yesterday, and sixteen bands took part, the display being a highly attractive one.
Evening Post 14 February 1935, Page 17
BANDS AT TIMARU CONTESTS NEXT WEEK
Commencing on Saturday and continuing throughout next week, Timaru is to have a feast of band music. On Saturday the New Zealand Pipe Band contest is to be staged, competing bands being drawn from Wanganui, Dunedin, Christchurch, Fairlie, Timaru and Oamaru. The quickstep is to be held in the afternoon and selections in the evening. On Monday the New Zealand Brass Bands contest will open and will continue throughout the week, concluding with the quickstep on Saturday. A grade bands taking part include Invercargill Civic, Nelson Garrison, Palmerston North .Garrison, Oamaru Municipal, Port Nicholson Silver, Queen Alexandra's Own (Wanganui), St. Kilda, and Timaru Municipal. B grade bands include: Artillery Band, Southern Command (Dunedin), Ashburton Silver, Christchurch Municipal, Gore Municipal, Greymouth Municipal, Palmerston North Silver, Taranaki Regimental, New Plymouth Municipal, Wellington Boys' Institute, and Westport Municipal. The hymn test will be held on Monday night, the B grade first test on Tuesday night, and the second test on Thursday night.
Drum Majors' Display.—Timaru 9 points; City of Christchurch, 8; Dunedin, 8.2; Wanganui, 8.1; Mackenzie, 7.8; Canterbury Caledonian, 7.5.
Aggregate for Champion Shield.— Dunedin and City of Christchurch, 267 points each; Timaru, 264; Canterbury Caledonian, 254; Wanganui, 238; Mackenzie, 220.
Auckland Star, 25 February 1935, Page 9
The brass bands' contest was brought to a successful conclusion on Saturday, when the quickstep competitions were held at the showgrounds. The weather was beautifully fine, and the attendance was estimated at over 12,000. All 16 bands gave fine exhibitions. The winners of the A grade, the St. Kilda Band, were brilliant on the march, and also outstanding in music. The B grade was won by the Ashburton Band, who also gave a fine performance in music, giving them a win over the Gore Municipal Band, whose marching was almost equal to that of the St. Kilda Band.
A Grade — St. Kilda Band: Drill 182, music 147—total, 329 points; Port Nicholson Silver Band, 181, 144—325; Timaru Band, 175 145 -320.
Bass Drum Competition. — W. Wallace, St. Kilda, 89; R. Allen, Timaru, 88.
Side Drum —J. Lees, St. Kilda, 89; S. Shittock, Timaru, 88.
B Grade - Ashburton Silver Band 322 points, 1.
Evening Post 9 August 1935, Page 14
AIR FORCE BAND BANDMASTER SELECTED
Mr. G. A. Booth, a member of the staff of the Petone Borough Council, who holds a Kneller Hall certificate as an army bandmaster, has been selected for appointment as bandmaster of the New Zealand Air Force Band. He has had extensive experience with bands in the Dominion, and during the war was trained in England as an army bandmaster. Mr. Booth's first association with bands was when he joined the Oamaru Garrison Band under the Hon. George Jones. Later he became a member of the Timaru Regimental Band —now the Timaru Municipal Band —in which he played the solo tenor horn and later the cornet. During the war Mr. Booth was band sergeant of Sling Camp military band, being sent to England in that capacity. He took an active part in orchestral work on his return to New Zealand, and also became conductor of the Waimate Silver Band, a position which he occupied for some time before resigning to establish, the Timaru Cadet Band. The establishment of this band meant intensive work, as each of the members had to be taught by Mr. Booth. It met with much success and several of its members are now playing in the Timaru-Municipal Band. Mr. Booth played the bassoon and obboe as a member of the Timaru Orchestral Society. He went to Ballarat with the Timaru Military Band, and in all has attended 23 band contests. Mr. Booth has a number of his bandsmen chosen for the Air Force Band.
Evening Post, 12 March 1935, Page 14
CITY BANDS' APPEAL SUBSIDY FROM CITY MAYOR SYMPATHETIC
The restoration of the subsidy to bands—the sum of £500 has been suggested—was sought by a deputation to the Wellington City Council last night. Mr. E. Palliser, who is president of the New Zealand Bands' Association, asked that the needs of the bands be considered, as was done in pre-depression days. Like other bodies, the Wellington City Council had been forced to use the pruning knife, but, as had been shown in other places, there were brighter times ahead, and they held that Wellington should not be the last place to take into consideration the work the bands had done in the past few years. The cutting out of the whole subsidy, as the council had done, might have seemed necessary, but was it wise, remembering that the bands provided music for the masses and entertainment for a class of people who could not afford to go to any other place of entertainment to hear music. There might be some who said "what have the bands done during the past three years?" said Mr. Palliser. The answer was that they had met every call made on them by the public and by every public body, but had not been able to give the public as much music as they would have desired, for the very reason for which the council cut out the subsidy. No band cared to give a performance unless it had a reasonable strength and. was able to give a performance in a manner which would do credit to the band. To give a performance meant rehearsals. THROUGH HARD TIMES. The bands had been through troublous times. Many of them had purchased full sets of instruments just prior to the depression, and a large proportion of their members had been on the unemployed list. Many of them had not been able to afford fares to attend practices. His advice to bands was to go out before the public as much as possible, such performances bringing their own reward. That was borne out a few weeks ago when the Port Nicholson Band, the only local band that attended the contest at Timaru, appealed to the public for the necessary funds to enable them to go there. This should not be.. He referred to a remark by Mr. Baile, who adjudicated at the last municipal contest, that, he had £1500 a year at his disposal with a population a little greater than that of Wellington, for two or three bands. In New Zealand Auckland for some years had spent £3000 on its municipal band and orchestra. He believed Auckland now spent £2000. Quoting the amounts spent annually in smaller towns, he mentioned Hawera (£130), Palmerston North (£l50 per band), Dannevirke (£200), Masterton (£150), Hastings (£150), Timaru (£500 for municipal and junior band). The bands had worked patiently, and only by the exercise of the greatest care had they been able to conserve their funds intact. Mr. Palliser was of opinion that if massed band performances were staged the city would derive sufficient revenue to obtain a return for the money expended. He considered that the bands could be used to bring revenue to the City Council because band festivals in the suburbs would induce people to travel on the tramways. BRIGHTENING OUTDOOR FUNCTIONS. The public felt that no outdoor function was complete without band music. The recent visit of the Grenadier Guards Band had revived interest in band music and, in the Port Nicholson Band, Wellington had one of the best bands in New Zealand, if not in Australasia. In conclusion Mr. Keesing appealed to the council to support the bands. Mr. Palliser said that the bands were in such a bad way financially that they could not pay, for their instruments. The Mayor said that the council wanted to see the bands continue to function, and would be glad to do what was necessary to enable them to do so as soon as that could be done.
Wanganui Herald, 7 October 1903, Page 5
Timaru, October 6. A garden party was held to-day, to welcome the visiting Bands, and was a great success. The weather was beautiful, and about 3000 persons were present. After the Bands had played a march, the Mayor (Mr James Craigie) formally welcomed the Bands to Timaru. The Bands and members of the Contest Committee were the guests of the Ladies' Committee at afternoon tea. At a meeting of the conductors of the Bands, it was resolved that a New Zealand Brass Bands Association be formed, and a meeting will be held to put the proposal on a proper Workable footing. Tonight the Theatre Royal was crowded to excess to hear the nine Bands play the contest piece. 7th. The quickstep competition to-day was witnessed by about 7000 persons. The weather was delightful. The result was as follows Wanganui Garrison 186 points 1st. Timaru Garrison. 178 points 2nd Kaikora, 172 points 3rd. Waimate 153 points 7th. The Pipe Bands competition resulted: South Canterbury, 120 points, 1st; North Otago, 111 points. 2nd.
Timaru Herald, 3 July 1867, Page 3
ANOTHER GREAT CONCERT.
"MUSIC HATH CHARMS" (?)
[Our reporter, not being supplied with a ticket of mission, was compelled to get one of the audience to supply a criticism. — Ed.]
Such a treat, we've had a concert, by the great Temuka band ;
Goodness gracious, how splendacious, sure 'twas wonderful, 'twas grand.
Tom the drummer, best of fellows, beat till he was almost white,
While the others — bless their bellows — blew themselves near out of sight.
All the town was bent on singing, 'twas enough to make you roar ;
Each meant going in and winning, though he'd never sung before.
Such a crowd came volunteering, just to show what they could do,
That the stamping and the cheering, might be heard in Oamaru.
First the band struck up, and though they each one played a different air,
'Twas the more, sure, for the money, which was all they wanted there.
But friend Young got so excited, you'd have thought his cheeks would crack —
Got so far before the others, that they had to hold him back.
Up rose K____t and told them all how, "England 'spected every man
Then would do his putty," but he broke down ere he'd well began ;
F____e then killed "Lord Ullin's daughter," like some savage Highland chief,
But the people wouldn't have it, so he quickly came to grief.
Then an auctioneer so pleasant, said he'd show them how to sing,
In a voice that charm'd all present, gave them, " I'm the Gipsy King."
H____n, the learned baker, "Master of the Rolls," 'tis said,
Spouted forth — like yeast a-working, — "Tell me where is fancy bread."
S_____ f and W____n sang together, lines of "Hearts and heads," in praise,
With "Flow on thou shining liver," and "The lights of other days ;"
Others, young and thoughtless butchers, mock'd, and thought to have a spree,
Till the gentle Sergeant Buckley, warbled, " Love, come dwell with me."
Then a young and gallant fellow sang — a regular knowing elf —
"Let me kiss her for her mother, let me kiss her for myself."
G___n "the cabbage green," kept trying, but it proved most awful work,
Young Watch J___bs managed better when he gave "the cask of pork."
Hoo____r said he was no singer — wasn't such a jolly muff —
But he'd dance upon the tight rope, if they'd find one strong enough.
One___a tradesman — then recited lines he'd wrote to Glasgow town,
But they didn't seem to like it, for they rose and hiss'd him down.
Sal____n essayed a hornpipe, but he made a quick retreat,
For the stage would not allow him proper room to more his feet.
Another forward came and sang — but what you could not hear,
For they put him in the cupboard, thinking he'd had too much beer.
Mor___n then gave "The Pilot," S____t "The Friar of orders grey,"
Wea___r gave them "Billy Tailor," Hutton gave the "Poor dog Tray."
"Down among the dead men," T____r tried, but soon away was led,
For his wife came in and took him home, and past him into bed.
An____n, the jolly brewer, started forward out of breath,
First he gave them "Drops of brandy," and then, " Ale, all ale, Macbeth."
R____t R_____d then tried a ditty, praising water from the creek,
But the subject didn't suit him — wanted spirit — 'twas too weak.
Twenty then all rose together, — for the time was flying now,
So each struck up independent, making such a horrid row,
That "The Force," who, in the kitchen, had been feasting on the sly,
Flew to arms and drop'd their mutton, thinking Hau-haus must be nigh.
What they sang or when they finished, few can tell, though lots have tried,
For the band, with wise discretion, went and finished off outside.
If they raise another concert, let them advertise the day,
Giving good and timely notice, that we all may — stay away.
Timaru Herald, 25 May 1867, Page 2 TIMARU RIFLE VOLUNTEERS.
The competitors for the prizes given to be shot for mustered at nine o'clock on the morning of the 24th ult., under the command of Captain Fendal, and marched to the practice ground. Ensign Beswick, as will be seen by the scoring, was the fortunate winner of the cup, having made 40 points, the minimum allowed to claim that prize, and Private Mair the winner of the second prize, a gold breast pin. After the firing was over, the men having been joined by many more of their comrades, were marched through the town, headed by the drum and fife band, which played military airs in a very creditable style. The band has only recently been established, and we have been informed that last Monday was the first day the men ever practised together, and it was wonderful with such short practice, the precision and style they have already attained. With practice, and a few more fifes and a piccolo, the Timaru Rifle Volunteers will soon boast of a band second to none in Canterbury.
Timaru Herald, 3 July 1867, Page 5
An amateur Concert, in aid of the funds of of the Timaru Brass Band, was given in the Royal Assembly Rooms on Monday, 17th ultimo. We believe that there were nearly 300 persons in the room. The weather was favorable, so that there were several persons from the country present. But on Monday night there was a larger proportion of babies than we desire to see at any musical entertainment ; for, however pleasant infant sounds may be to those maternally interested, they are by no means musical to the majority of people. In all public entertainments there should be shown as much order and method as possible, but we regret to say such was not the case on Monday night. The public are fickle, and if kept waiting whilst lost music is found, or until those who have the management can obtain a substitute for some one who has been placed for a song which he was never asked to sing, it is likely that plenty of mischief will be found by a certain individual mentioned by Dr Watts "for idle hands to do." The success of the concert is undoubted, but the common error, and one which we have in other places seen fatal to the efforts of musical societies, was committed. The programms was departed from. This m itself implies bad management. When a programme has once been fixed, all concerned are supposed to practice their parts and songs together as much as possible, or else how can the public hope to hear anything worth paying for? It is by practice alone that a good singer is enabled to sing correctly. It may be said that the programme did not embrace any ambitious flights, and that nothing beyond simple and well-known pieces were introduced, so that another simple piece could be substituted at a moment's notice. But who would wish to hear the old and hackneyed pieces unless they are well given ?
At about eight o'clock the concert was opened by the band playing the "Old Arm Chair" Of the other instrumental music during the evening we can only say that it was given with much credit to all concerned. The Royal Arowhenua Baud were encored for the manner in which they performed "Home, sweet Home." A selection from " Crown Diamonds," on the piano and violin, by Mrs Cookson and Mr Knight, was better played than we have heard it given at many amateur concerts. ...Our notice of the comic songs by Mr Parsons comes last, but it does not follow that we were least pleased with them. The "Blue tailed Fly," and the "Weeping Willow," have never been equalled in Timaru. Mr Parsons kept the audience in roars of laughter, and contributed in no small degree to the success of the concert.
Timaru Herald, 17 June 1871, Page 2
Allow me to correct an error which occurred in a paragraph in the the issue of your paper, in which it is stated that the Timaru Artillery Corps "decided on accepting the services of the present Timaru Brass Band, and on the enrolment of the bandsmen into the ranks, that the corps would furnish funds for uniforms and music." The facts of the case are as follows :— The members of the band have sold their private interest in the musical instruments in their possession for the sum of £55 to the Timaru Artillery Corps, and the members of the band find their own uniforms, but the corps is to supply music, and any new instruments that may be required to make the band efficient. Yours, &c., A Bandsman. Timaru, June 16th, 1871.
Timaru Herald, 1 July 1879, Page 2
Bbass Band. — At a meeting of persons interested in establishing a brass band in Timaru, held last night in the Queen's Hotel, it was resolved to send at once for instruments. A Committee wns formed to draw up rules, and after some other matters were discussed, the meeting was adjourned until next Monday evening.
Timaru Herald, 9 April 1881, Page 2
Presentation. — A pleasant little ceremony took place last night at the residence of Captain Hamersley. The members of the Timaru Volunteer Artillery Band being anxious to present their leader, Mr Thomas Perry, with a silver-plated cornet as a mark of their appreciation of his earnest endeavors to advance the members, Mrs A. St. George Hamersley was requested and kindly undertook the task. The Band assembled at the drill-shed shortly after 8 o'clock and marched up to Captain Hamersley's residence, and on arrival Micro played some selections on the lawn opposite the house, which were immensely enjoyed by a large number of people who were attracted to the vicinity. Mrs Hamersley, in making the presentation, said she had much pleasure in presenting Mr Perry with the cornet, and congratulated him on the great progress the Band had made under his guidance. They had often had great pleasure in listening to the Band during last summer, and hoped the recipient would long live to use the cornet which she now presented to him. Mr Perry, in returning thanks, expressed his pleasure in accepting such a token of the goodwill of the members of the and his gratification in receiving the present from Mrs Hamersley. The Band then, at the invitation of their Captain, entered the house and partook of refreshments, after which they played a number of selections, and the gathering broke up.
Timaru Herald, 21 January 1885, Page 2
Artillery Band. — The annual general meeting of the Timaru Artillery Band was held at the C Battery's headquarters drill shed, last evening, Bandsman E. Partridge in the chair. There was a large attendance, nearly every member of the Band being present. After the minutes of last annual meeting had been read and confirmed, the Hon. Secretary (Bandsman James Stevenson) read his annual report. This dealt very clearly and exhaustively with the past year's work. A balance-sheet was also submitted which showed that £75 3s had been received during the year, and £56 6s had been expended, a balance to credit being thus left of £18 17s. The meeting considered the report and balance-sheet very satisfactory, and adopted them unanimously. A general Committee for the ensuing six months was then elected as follows : — Bandsmen T. Watts, T. Peters, J. Morris, M. Shepherd, and James Stevenson, the Bandmaster to be a member ex office. Mr T. Perry was unanimously reelected Bandmaster for the year, and Bandsman Jas. Stevenson Hon. Sec., to be assisted by Bandsman M. Shepherd.
Standing: (from left to right) B. Pasco, G.
Blackwell, B. Tooth, B. Hoskins, W. Williams, J. Morris, J. Stevenson, H.
Dickerson, T. Watts, J. Lawrie.
Sitting: F. Hatton, H. Burmester, G. Smith, J. Rowles, T. Perry, A. Dickenson, W. Oliver.
Timaru Herald, 4 May 1882, Page 3
The Band contests in connection with the Exhibition at Christchurch were commenced on Tuesday, the Timaru Band taking first honors. The Timaru Band, displayed excellent time and harmony of the instruments, the band being well balanced and the bass instruments especially capitally played. The addition of a side drum would greatly have improved the rendering of the piece chosen. The decision of the judges was announced to be as follows : — Timaru Artillery Band, 1 ; City Guards Band, 2 ; and Christchurch Artillery Band, highly commended. After the judge award had been made known, the winning band played an excellent selection from "Patience" very nicely indeed. The number of persons paying for admission was 5357.
Ashburton Guardian, 13 April 1920, Page 4
The 8th (South Canterbury) Mounted Rifles Band will render its final municipal concert in the rotunda on Wednesday evening, weather permitting. The following programme will be submitted —Grand contest march, "On Tour"; selection, "Zampa"; concert valse, "Thoughts"; grand selection, "Maid of the Mountains"; waltz, "Les Fleurs d'Australie"; march, Newcastle."
Temuka Brass Band, 1909
Temuka Pipe Band 2007 - images online - centennial Easter 2011 band rooms Denmark S., Temuka
Timaru Regimental Band, 1920
Timaru Salvation Army Band, 1900
Early Canterbury Bands
Timaru Orchestral Society badge
2008 South Canterbury Bands
Today bands met and practice in a band halls in Timaru, Temuka and Fairlie. There's a world class calibre of pipers in this area. It's a huge asset for South Canterbury
The New Zealand and South Pacific Pipe Band Championship was held in Timaru 2nd and 3rd March 2013
Timaru Scottish Society Pipe Band (est. 1976)
Alpine Energy Timaru Brass is the name now given to the Timaru Municipal Band. The Brass Band provincials are in March. Alpine Energy Timaru Brass (about 30) are involved on Anzac Day with a street march, the civic service and the Last Post. National contest in July - No qualifying is necessary. Each band is required to play a set test piece, one of their own choice, a hymn test and a street march.
Alpine Energy Junior Brass Band
Temuka Pipe Band
Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band (Fairlie) 1920 2005 New Years Eve
City of Timaru Highland Pipe is now (2009) the South Canterbury Highland Pipe Band - Grade 4. Promoted to grade 2 in March 2013. The "South Canterbury" name reflects the band's membership and supporters. 1st place in their grade at the national championships, March 2010 at Masterton. "It's 52 years since South Canterbury actually won the championship." The Pipe Band contest season is from November with the nationals, Royal New Zealand Highland Pipe Band Association National Championship, in March.
They drew 54 bands to the city (52 bands from all over New Zealand, and two from Australia). Six of them were from South Canterbury. Amazing Grace en masse at the Timaru Alpine Energy Stadium.
Canterbury Caledonian Pipe Band - winner Grade 1
City of Invercargill Highland Pipe Band - Grade 2 Champions
South Canterbury Highland Pipe - first place in the Grade 3 section.
On Sunday Timaru's main street was lined with people on both sides and they spilled on to Strathallan St and Canon St. for the street march. It was truly an impressive spectacle. Not only was the musicianship on display superb, but the precision in the bands' marching was a sight to behold. Grant Shimmin wrote when describing the street march. TH Ed. 5 March 2013 The South Canterbury Pipe Band was promoted from grade three to grade two by the Royal New Zealand Pipe Band Association two weeks later.
The more you play, the less you practise.
Easter Monday is Show Day at Fairlie with the The Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band, with its Mackenzie tartan uniform, is usually the official band leading the Grand Parade at 2 p.m. the Showground's in Fairlie and supported by invited bands. You can also see and hear the band marching through the streets of Fairlie and the campground on New Year's Eve and the New Year Day Parade. The band was established on 5th August 1917 with Mr R. Leitch as president and W. McLeod the first Drum-Major and George Cowan as Pipe-Major, a position he held for 33 years. At the 1918 show the Fairlie Highland Band was lead by Drum Major W. Phillips and Pipe Major G. Cowan. In 1929 Balance Slow was Drum Major. Later Charlie Cowan became Pipe Major. In 1948 Lloyd Carlton was elected Drum-Major, a position he years for donkey years. Over the years school children have joined and the band continues to be appreciated by many in the Mackenzie.
Radio NZ Sound Archives
Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band recorded at Fairlie Show, Easter Monday 1980. Pipe Major John Campbell; Drum Major Bob Dobson; Tune - Leaving Barra
Band Need Complete Uniform. 14 May 2004 Timaru Herald
The Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band is nearing its centenary, but band members are still $15,000 away from a complete uniform. Pipe major John Campbell said although the band had been able to buy some kilts and jackets in the last couple of months, kitting out a pipe band was "hugely expensive" and there were many other uniform components outside of those garments. Feathers, glengarrys (hats) and badges were among numerous items that would enable the band to step out in full dress. Bag covers and pipe cords were also required, but the band was considering making the covers to reduce the $600 per cover cost. Mr Campbell, who recently celebrated 25 years as pipe major and started his band career as a 16-year-old in 1956, said the band had not had a new uniform for 47 years. "My uniform was jolly near indecent. The sporran in the front had almost worn a hole through. We've got to the stage where sometimes we have to put people on the street in civvies." Mr Campbell emphasised the "very generous" support of the Fairlie and wider Mackenzie communities, which had helped make possible the purchase of kilts and jackets. The band played at this year's Mackenzie Highland Show, receiving a one-off $5000 donation from the show's organisers. "It was very generous and helped us buy the uniforms but it was a one-off. By and large we offer our services for nothing." The 92-year-old band now required a major sponsor, Mr Campbell said. Approaches to gaming machine trusts had been unsuccessful and the band's main source of income came from donations and performances over the Christmas period. Band members self-funded transport to weekly practice and performances, Mr Campbell said. "But we enjoy what we're doing. We've got a marvellous group at the moment, the spirit in the band is magnificent." Mr Campbell said he had witnessed many changes in his 48 years with the band.
On Parade - Show Day appearances of invited bands with the Mackenzie
Highland Pipe band, the official band.:
1921: The Mackenzie Pipe Band played throughout the day.
1922: Fairlie Brass Band played a programme of music.
1929: The Timaru Pipe Band supplied the music.
1931: Throughout the day the Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band played a number of popular highland airs.
1935: The Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band and officials met the train which was carrying the Timaru Highland Pipe Band. Drum Major Major B. Slow and the band piped the visitors to the grounds
1936: Timaru Municipal Band, Mackenzie and Waimate Pipe Bands which included a woman piper.
1937. Mackenzie and Timaru Pipe Bands
1938: Timaru Municipal Band, Mackenzie and Waimate Pipe Bands
1939: Timaru Municipal Band, Mackenzie and Waimate Pipe Bands
1940: Five Pipe Bands attended: the City of Christchurch, the Canterbury Caledonian, the Scottish Society of Christchurch, Timaru and Mackenzie Pipe Bands (there had been an Easter display in Timaru)
1946: St Andrew's College Pipe Band
1947: Timaru Boys High School band
1948: Timaru Highland Pipe Band
1951: Timaru and Temuka Highland Pipe Bands
1957: Temuka Highland Pipe Bands
1959: Timaru Highland Pipe Band
1963: Timaru Highland Pipe Bands
1975: Geraldine Highland Pipe Bands and the New Brighton Silver Band
1991: St Andrew's College Pipe Band
1993: St Andrew's College Pipe Band
1997: Waimate Pipe Band
1998: Invited Highland Pipe Bands - McAlpine from Rangiora, Ashburton, Timaru and Waimate and 62 competitors in the piping competition came together for a mass display. Reference: Button, John and Leslie, Ray. Easter Monday in the High Lands, A Century of Mackenzie Highland Shows 1899 -1998. ISBN 0-473-005511-2. Published by the Mackenzie A & P Society, Fairlie 1998. 334pp
Waimate Highland Pipe Band, 1903-2003 by Karen Beker. Paperback. 38 pages. Publisher: Waimate Highland Pipe Band
Mackenzie Highland Pipe Band: A Century in the Making by Noel Guthrie, 20012. write-up
"Life is only the journey. Don't overlook the scenery while worrying about the destination; and in the march of life don't forget to listen to the band."
The Geraldine Drum Major Uniform - at the Geraldine Museum
Tartan - Macdonald of the Isle.
The hat is a wool felt Glengarry maybe tilted slightly to the right -a fore and aft cap.
The jacket is a Pipe Band doublet.
Drum Major's have stripes on the sleeves.
A plaid brooch is holding on the woollen pipers plaid made from the same fabric as the kilt and the frayed end of the plaid should be the same height as the top of the spats.
Philabeg - the kilt or pleated skirt worn by Scottish Highlanders. Woollen kilt should hang level all the way round and the centre of the pattern should run down the middle. The pipers wear the same plaid.
In full dress, the red sash is worn over the jacket, over the belt, and under the plaid and cross belt. The Pipe Major and Pipe Sergeant wear the red sash from left shoulder to right hip.
A white Drum Major cross belt.
Chromium badges and buttons.
The horse hair sporran is white chrome with two black tassels and has a pouch for bits and things.
Red garter flashes.
The lower leg and foot covers are white spats.
When on parade the band may be led by a drum major, who directs the band with a flourishing mace.
The Geraldine Highland Pipe Band officially put into recess in September 2013 due to a lack of members. The group formed in 1951, but went into recess in 1967 - again due to a lack of members. However, interest grew again and it was revived in 1972. The latest decision to put the band into recess was unanimous. You can't carry on if there's not enough players.
It is easy to judge the band that plays the loudest.
A TBHS brass band member.
George Taylor left Scotland in 1860 sailing to Victoria, Australia, where he mined for four years before sailing to New Zealand and the gold fields of Central Otago. In 1868 he travelled back home, married and then brought his bride back to Cromwell. Walter Taylor was born on January 1, 1870 in Dunedin. In 1908 he and his family moved to Timaru and within a year he had purchased the woolscouring business of Morgan Evans and Co Ltd at Saltwater Creek. The name was changed to Walter Taylor & Co Ltd with subsequent owners retaining the name. Walter carried on the business of scouring, fellmongery and rabbit skin buying until 1938 when he retired in favour of his son Doug. In the 1920s the foreman, who was brother-in-law Bob Aitken, canvassed the back country on a motor bike for commission scouring. Walter was a keen and accomplished cornetist, playing in the Gore and Invercargill bands before moving to Timaru and joining the Timaru Garrison Band. In 1912 he was the leading cornetist and played in many national contests with distinction. When the band entered the 1920 Australian championships at Ballarat he made the trip with his two sons Doug and Andy. He was made a life-member for his long and faithful service. In 1913 he founded the Timaru Boys High School brass band. Walter and Mary purchased a two-acre property in King Street Timaru in 1908 and it was eventually sold in 1946 after Mary's death. The house is now situated on Taylor Street, so named when the two acres were sub-divided. The house still stands today and is run as a bed and breakfast. In 1951 a memorial window was unveiled at Chalmers Church in memory of Mary. Mary had been an active member of the church and the family had decided to donate the window to the church as a mark of respect. Made in London, the window bears the inscription "Feed My Sheep".Evening Post, 8 February 1945, Page 8
Doug Taylor entered Timaru Boys High School as a first day pupil in February 1913, when the school opened at its present site on North Street. He was a foundation member of the school band in 1913 and was the band's first solo cornetist and was band master. He was also the foundation member of the Timaru Old Boys Rugby Club but had to retire from the sport after a face injury. After leaving school Doug joined the Timaru Municipal Band and in 1920 won the New Zealand flugel horn championship and ten years later the soprano cornet championship after twice being runner-up. He retained his interest in the band for many years. See
Mr. M. K. MARA
Westport, This Day. The death has occurred of Mr. Michael Kelly Mara, well known in band circles. For a number of years he conducted the Westport Municipal Band and later the Combined Regimental and Municipal Band of that town, gaining distinction at the Dunedin Exhibition contest. He was also formerly bandmaster of the South Canterbury Regimental Band, Timaru, when the band visited Australia in 1920. He was also well known in football circles in South Canterbury, playing for their representative team that toured the North Island about 45 years ago.
Manning - 4311655, LAC, RNZAF, WW2
Timaru Herald 8 Sept. 2011
Keith Archibald Manning, died, aged 87, on August 24 2011, at Talbot Park Hospital, where he had been a resident for the last two years. Born in Timaru (21 Jan. 1924), Mr Manning began his band career in the bugle band of the Main [primary] School, and played tenor drum in the Timaru Highland Pipe Band. But his real strength lay in the military side of bands and, after service with the Royal New Zealand Air Force ground staff in the Pacific during World War II, he rejoined the pipe band as drum-major. In 1951 he accepted an invitation from the then Timaru Municipal Band to train its members for the B-grade quickstep at Dunedin in the following February. He enjoyed the change, and made himself available for the Whanganui contest in 1953. It was a memorable event for Timaru Municipal. An A-grade band with some outstanding results before World War II, it emerged from the doldrums to take the B-grade title with three wins and a second. That was the beginning of an illustrious period for musical director Frank Smith and drum-major Manning. The next year, 1954, Timaru was again top of the B-grade at Christchurch, and, thus, it automatically advanced to A-grade ranking. By now, Mr Manning had relinquished his link with the pipe band, and put every ounce of his effort into Timaru Municipal's contest street marches and quicksteps. Auckland was too far for its finances in 1955, but in 1956 it competed in the A-grade for the first time, at Invercargill. Second-placing in the aggregate was a good result for its opening appearance in the top division. Mr Manning gave a finite performance as drum-major. The sight of him tossing his staff high into the air, catching it on the return, and twirling it with the immaculate style and timing of a highland master, drew prolonged applause from the large crowd and cemented him into a permanent place in the brass band marching display world. In the early 1960s, he won four successive quicksteps and a second the next year, and in 1969 and 1971, when Timaru was unable to compete at the national contest because of a player shortage, he gave his services to the champion Skellerup-Woolston Band of Christchurch, and won two more quickstep titles. He achieved a career highlight in 1962 when he was selected as drum-major of the National Band of New Zealand on a tour to Britain and the Netherlands. Against stiff competition, New Zealand emerged victorious in the world marching championship at Kerkrade, Holland, and a few weeks later repeated the success by winning the Scottish championship at Edinburgh – a degree of achievement never before envisaged for a NZ combination. In 1970, he made a second overseas tour with the National Band, this time leading marching displays in Japan, the Netherlands, and on a 30,000-kilometre tour of the United States and Canada. When Mr Manning retired from the Timaru band in 1978 he was honoured with life membership in recognition of his long service as a drum-major, committee member, and president (1961). Mr Manning was also active in lawn bowling for many years. Mr Manning's wife, Mary, died in Feb. 2000, 11 years ago. D.E DRAKE.
Mary Elizabeth Wallace married Keith Manning in 1947.
Press, 23 June 1928, Page 8
By the death of Mr J. McDonald, the Waimate Pipe Band has lost one of its foundation members. Mr. McDonald, who was 44 years of age, took a great interest in pipe music and Highland dancing, and in earlier years was an active member of the band, as well as being a competitor at most of the Caledonian Societies' gatherings.
South Canterbury, New ZealandGenWeb Project