Churches give a town character and Timaru's churches are no exception. In the course of years the original church buildings all became too small, and were superseded by the present substantial churches. The Wesleyan Church, now Bank Street Methodist Church, of dark grey stone, was opened on 21 March 1875, replacing a wooden church opened ten years earlier. The steeple added in 1930 does not command a prominence in skyline views like Timaru's other fine old churches - St Mary's, Chalmers and Sacred Heart but all add a different architectural style and interest and worth a visit. The church is just south of Church Street - the walk from St. Mary's to Bank Street Methodist is a couple of hundred yards is now a funeral home. In 1992 South Canterbury Funeral Serves opened. map
In Gillespie's book 'South Canterbury A Record of Settlement' on page 385 there is a similar photo with the old wooden church in background. The original photo is at the South Canterbury Museum. In the 'Historic Places' Trust magazine June 1999 there are two photos of the Wesleyan Church - before and after the addition of the tower and steeple in 1930.
Bank Street Methodist Church Historical Data
Blackmore, E Nurse
*Their bodies are buried in peace but their name liveth for ever more.
The impressive glasses are in the centre window bays, the rest being more-or-less uniform in the simpler style. Stain glass windows contribute to a church's decoration, style and character and are the most important source of light. From sunrise to noon to midnight the hues change and gain and loose prominence like the instruments in an orchestra. The blue gains prominence when the light wanes. To judge a window look at the size of the glass pieces, the smaller the better, and the effect of the lines of the leads, and whether the whole window gives a brilliant jewelled effect or whether it is only a picture painted on glass with landscape in perspective.
To the Glory of God and as a Bowker Memorial these windows of uniform design are affectionately dedicated. 1st Nov. 1930. Unveiled 9th Aug. 1931.
Photos taken December 3rd 2002. Courtesy of Stumpy Marsh, Timaru.
Greenwood, W. Woodlands Street, 92pp. 1964. Story of a Timaru Methodist Church, founded 1873 by Primitive Methodists. Card D/j. Pages of portrait/group photos going back to the 1800s. Biographical index of names mentioned - over 700.
Morley, William. The History of
Methodism in New Zealand - Page 456
Methodist Church in New Zealand - 1900 - 510 pages. South Canterbury section pages 447 - 457 online
The first Wesleyan service in Timaru was held in the house of
Mr Clough, Sandie Town. At Waimate Messrs J. and G. Manchester held services. At
Temuka, Mr Job Brown conducted a service in his own house in 1865 at which were
present Messrs J. White, P. Dale, J. Anderson and others. Job Brown also
preached at Mrs Maslin's, Geraldine. Rev. J. B. Richardson went down to Timaru
by boat on April 23rd 1865 to meet with Mr Buller to form a Circuit. Richardson
was welcomed by Mr H. Gilbert and stayed three years. He was succeeded by the
Rev. H. Bull for one year, then Revs. Lee and Bavin for three years each, and
the Rev. W. C. Oliver. From 1871 5 junior preachers were appointed but one one
remained more than 12 months. Mr. P. Foster, a devoted local preacher and Mr
George Butler were among the first members. Mr Richardson's first service was
held by permission of the Presbyterians, in the Mechanics Hall, which they
rented. Then the day school was hired. The first names on the minister's class
book were Messrs J. Wallace, J. Maberley, W. Clough, J. Shields, G. Butler, J.
Wallace, J. Brown, W. Wilcox, W.H. Dickers, Clark and H. Manchester. This met at
the house of Mr Taylor, where the minister lodge. Mrs Maberley had charge of a
female class, the members were Mesdames Clough, Scavar, Butler, Fonseca,
Wallace, Sim, Brown, Blackmore, Chivers, Shileds, Mason and Walford. Presently
the classes are divided, Messrs Dickers, P. Foster and Bird forming a second,
with Mr Clough as leader. A site was given by Messrs Rhodes in Bank Street, and
Mr Mabarley drew up the plans and was contractors for the church building, 32ft
by 25ft. The building was completed, lined, a belfry added and a porch. The
opening sermons were preached in October 1863 by the Rev. W. Cannell. A two
storied extravagant villa on Butler Street was built for a married preacher.
The substantial stone church was erected in 1874 and 1875. The foundation stone was laid on October 28th by the Rev. J. Buller. It cost 1270. The church was to seat 400 persons. The Ladies Guild has been in effective operation raising money by bazaars. Mrs J. Jackson, the late Mrs Holdgate, Mesdames Guilbert, Bowker, F. Smith and others are entitled to great credit in this connection. Eventually the church was lengthened by 21ft and a chancel of wood added for choir and vestries. 140 additional sitting thus provided at a cost of �600 in 1890.
Mr P. Foster worked as a local preacher for 35 years and only recently passed to his heavenly rest. Mr Edwin Goldsmith was one of the original Trustees was called to his reward about three years ago. Mr Stephen Bird, one of the original congregation at Mr Elworthy's afterwards became caretaker of the Timaru Church. He died on a Sunday morning, when engaged in his work about the house of God. The late Mrs Holdgate was a member for over 30 years and by her gift of song rendered special service in the choir. Her unexpected death after a surgical operation, nearly three years since , was a heavy loss. Mrs Elizabeth Thomas, aged 81, joined the Society at St. Just in 1833.
The preaching stations are Fairview, five miles west of the town;
Claremont, eight miles north
Adair, six and a half south-west
Kingston and Springbrook, six and ten miles to the south.
Mr Beecroft stayed five years.
Messres Jackson and Holdgate filled the office of the Circuit Stewards for over 20 years.
Helpers - Mr F. Smith trained at St. Albans. Messrs Coe, Gilchrist, Vogeler and others.
We now have 12 local preachers,3 class leaders and 20 Church members. In the three Sunday Schools, 38 teachers, 345 scholars.
Attedants on public worship number 600.
The present minister is the Rev. J. Newsman Buttle, is a son of the Manse. Born on the Waipa Mission Station.
At the the NZ Conference, held in 1876, it was resolved that
Timaru Circuit by divided. The new circuit to be called Temuka and to include
Temuka, Geraldine and Waitohi. Rev. G. Bond, was appointed Superintendent. At
the first meeting April 12th, Messrs W. Storey and W. Maslin were appointed
Circuit Stewards. A site was given by Mr Hewlings. When just ready for opening,
in May 1869, this was burned down by a tramp who had spent the night there. A
small brick building, 30ft by 18ft - but cost �300
was opened by the Rev. R. Bavin, on Dec. 26th 1869. After 14 years Mr and Mrs
Job Brown offered another site. Mr Rev. R.S. Bann, an experienced church builder
pushed the work forward. The foundations were laid and the building completed in
1889 at an expense of �800.
At Geraldine a building 20ft by 16ft was opened 19 April 1868, service by the Mr Bull. Mrs Maslin and her family, Mr Huffey, a Primitive Methodist, and a Mr Meredith, were among the principal works. The services were discontinued in 1884 as members died and three years later the building sold.
At Waitohi a small sod church, with a timber roof did duty for nine years during Mr Bavin's ministry. The late Mr Young with Messrs Humphries and Chapman, were devoted helpers. The present building superseded it. The cost was �325.
At Rangitata Island Mr S. Buxton established a service there. At Orton - 2 Sundays a month. At Hilton, Milford and Pleasant Point services have been discontinued. At Arowhenua, the Maoris still acknowledge allegiance to the Wesleyan Church. Rev. Peter Willis was appointed to the Circuit in 1883. He was born in Staffordshire. He died on Dec. 19th 1884 not only his wife and child but the whole church to lament his loss. Rev. W. Tinsley, minister in charge, arrived inn NZ in 1873 and worked in Auckland and Christchurch. At the moment he is away in England. His placed supplied for the year by Rev. J.H. Haaslam, from the Wellington Circuit, three years at Prince Albert College, now entering his first pastorate.
West Coast Times 28 January 1887, Page 4
At the Primitive Methodist Conference, the final draft of stations was�
Timaru, Rev J. E Jones, H.L.P.
Geraldine, Rev W. J. Dean
Grey River Argus, 20 January 1892, Page 4
Christchurch January 19. At the Primitive Methodist Conference the final draft of stations was made as follows : Timaru, Woodward
Taranaki Herald, 16 January 1896, Page 2
Timaru, January 15. - At the Primitive Methodist Conference the following was the final draft of stations :
Evening Post, 20 January 1899, Page 2
Christchurch, 19th January. The Primitive Methodist Conference resumed its sittings to-day. The following is the final draft of stations :
Timaru, Rev. J.W. Hayward
Geraldine, Rev. H. Williams
Waimate and Oamaru, Rev. T. Nixon
Timaru Herald, 19 January 1900, Page 3 THE PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH.
Wellington, January 16. The following is the final draft of stations:
Timaru � Woodward
Ashburton � Raine
Waimate and Oamaru� Burnett
The Rev. Mr Woollass was elected the General Committee's delegate next year to the Conference to be held at Auckland for 1901. The Conference closes on Friday.
Feilding Star, 15 January 1904, Page 2
Wanganui, January 14. The following final draft of stations was read at the Primitive Methodist Conference this morning :
Timaru, G H Mann
Geraldine, G Clement
Waimate and Oamaru, J Sharp
Evening Post, 20 January 1910, Page 3
Timaru, 19th January. At the Primitive Methodist Conference the final draft of stations was drawn up as follows :�
Geraldine, Rev. George H. Mann
Timaru, Rev. John Olphert
Waimate and Oamaru, Rev. John Harris
Temuka, Rev. Thomas Coatsworth.
Evening Post, 13 January 1912, Page 9
Christchurch, 12th January. At the Primitive Methodist Conference the first draft of stations was read as follows; �
Geraldine, George H. Mann
Waimate and Oamaru, James Guy
Timaru, Jacob Featherston
Temuka, John Harris