Every weekend there are many things on in South Canterbury that have become
annual events and
are free. In mid November, the three day
Geraldine Arts and Plants Festival with many arts and plant stalls in the
Domain, a bookarama, quilt show with a raffle quilt, a theme quilt challenge,
quilts for sale, a garden trail, a bush walk, BBQ and teas.
shops like Barker's
Berry Barn are open and competitions included the best hat display, the best
street appeal garden and the best business window display, the theme for 2009 was "black
and white with a touch of silver". The 21st market day was in 2009 with 209
stalls and approximately 10,000 people browsing the stalls and stocking up on
plants, arts, books, toys, clothes, jewellery and food.
The Rose Festival in Timaru is at the end of November with a poetry competition. The Pleasant Point Gymkhana is also held in November. The Fairlie A& P Show is always on Easter Monday and the Caroline Bay Carnival is on for two weeks over New Year. In October there are also garden rambles. The Easter Art Exhibition Extravaganza a fund raiser is held for the Geraldine Primary School is held at the Geraldine Primary School Hall. Reunions often planned for long weekends. The Southern Canterbury A & P Show at Waimate is the 4th weekend in November. Waimate has the annual Strawberry Fare in mid December. November is a good time to visit the area as the gardens are at their peak and the weather is beautiful, school is still in and the days are longer.
Timaru Herald, 29 November 1871, Page 4
A Bazaar is a favourite plan for raising money for religious purposes; and if the end justifies the means, there is not a word to be said against bazaars. But, if the end does not justify the means, then bazaars are indefensible. Young ladies over dressed, and fading ladies very much done up, compete for the privilege of furnishing and serving at the stalls. The competition is very keen, and the comparison of stall against stall, provokes sentiments of envy, hatred, malice, and all unchartiableness. A bazaar is a licensed flirting ground. Girls may seize men by the arm, the button-hole, or the hand; and, if the men are going to buy, they may compliment the fair seller in a style that would be resented by a decent barmaid. Besides the flirting, there is the petty cheating. An article worth sixpence is charged five shillings, and an effort is made to chisel the buyer out of his change. The fair seller looks fondly at the buyer, puts her delicate hand in his, returns the ardent squeeze, and says; with a sweet simper. "Of course, you won't think of asking me for change?" Few persons leave a bazaar without the uncomfortable conviction that they have been fooled and defrauded. Yet the proceedings at a bazaar are at least as "spooning" as at a ball. But the dicta of what is called the religious world are peculiar. Tea and scandal is pious; whilst tea and quadrilles is an abomination. Bagatelle, croquet and dominos are righteous; whilst billiards and games of cards are diabolical. Would Mr Spurgeon tolerate a polka or vingt-et-un for a good cause? He ought to so, as he tolerates bazaars.
Timaru Herald, 10 May 1871, Page 5 VOLUNTEER BAZAAR.
This bazaar, for which preparations have been made for some time past, was opened on the 13th April at the Masonic Hall. What most particularly struck the visitor on entering the building was the large space taken up by the handsomely decorated stalls, which ran round the back and side walls of the hall, leaving but little room for visitors, but this inconvenience certainly did not seem to be any hindrance to an exceedingly brisk bazaar trade being carried on. To the left of the entrance door was refreshment stall, kept by Mrs Hobbs, and the Misses Simpson and Melton. The first stall to the right of the door into the hall was presided over by Mrs T. B. Jones and Miss Blundell. The next by Mrs Beldy, and the Misses Rogers and Gapes. The next adjoining, by the Misses Green, Cain, and Flaxman; then came the stall (facing the entrance hall) kept by Mrs Stone. Mrs L. Jones and Mrs Cotton kept the next table, adjoining which was a stall presided over by the Misses Cuff and Beswick; and last of all, though not the least pretty, was a flower stall kept by Miss Asken. All the stalls were very prettily decorated, and were exceedingly well filled with those things peculiar to such undertakings, by which the pockets of a too confiding public are mulcted. Of course a visitor had to be content with all sorts of articles for the cash expended. A doll, a thing for holding hair brushes, a baby's frock, &c, each at the low price of 2s 6d, were some among the hundred articles that were offered generally to male guests. We must admit, though, that on many of the stalls were really not only handsome, but valuable articles. A collection of Now Zealand ferns by Mr Cato (exhibited at Mrs Stone's stall) calls for special remark. Other devices for securing odd shillings and half-crowns were by means of a post-office (kept -by Miss Cain), and by lottery bags, and by both the visitor was victimised. One rather novel feature in the bazaar was a cage of love-birds — some 30 pairs in number — exhibited at the stall kept by the Misses Green, Cain, and Flaxman. These were offered at a half-a-guinea a pair, but we expect, found few purchasers — as being unprovided with cages, the visitor would have a job to carry away a pair of lively young birds in his pocket. The bazaar was opened the following day, and the total net receipts amounted to £120.
Timaru Herald, 31 October 1877, Page 3
Bazaar. The Primitive Methodist Fancy Bazaar was opened yesterday in Mr Moss Jonas's auction mart. The place was very well fitted up, and the different stalls of fancy goods presented a very pleasing appearance. The first stall, presided over by Mrs Ward and Miss Kippenberger, displayed a large quantity of fancy goods, which for the most part were of local manufacture. The choicest and most noticeable article was a dog worked in wool, which was really excellent, and many of the other articles were not much inferior. The second stall, of which Misses Younghusband and Allen had charge, contained a great variety of flowers, the principal attraction in it being a splendid flower vase of Coal Creek quarry stone, which was manufactured at Mr Cliffs mill. Mrs Hawley and Miss Reid had the next stall, the leading feature of which was a well-executed flower basket, made of wax, by a Timaru lady. The refreshment stall, which came next in order, and in which Mesdames Osbourne and Elliot did the honors, exhibited contents of an excellent character. A speaking doll, which now and then called Mama, was the most noticeable feature of the fourth stall, which was in possession of Misses Cockroft and Beatterworth. The fifth and sixth stalls, which were presided over by Mrs Cotton, Miss Wallis, and Mrs Cockroft and Miss Carpenter, contained an enormous, display of toys of delicate mechanism, of which a miniature ship in full sail, built by a Timaru ship builder, was the most remarkable. Added to the numerous articles above mentioned, was what was called a telephone, which is a contrivance made of prepared cord, by the means of which one person standing at one end of a store can speak to a person at the other end. The bazaar was fairly patronised all day yesterday.
Timaru Herald, 5 November 1879, Page 7
The Bazaar in aid of the Jewish Synagogue in Timaru was formally opened shortly after two o'clock on Tuesday, October 28th, by Mr Fulbert Archer, who was supported. by a large number of leading citizens and residents in the country. The first stall we came to was that precided over by Mrs Moss Jonas and Mrs Moses. The variety in this stall is perfectly bewildering. Beautiful banner screens, elaborately worked cushions —almost all the handiwork of the ladies of the stall — tea cosies (satin worked in velvet), artificial plants and flowers in pots under glass shades, antimacassars in crewel, crochet wool, satin and lace, bath slippers in wool and satin, in great numbers and variety of design ; beautiful cushions; screens of pea cock features; handsome bed pockets made in crewel work; silver mounted brackets; handsome mats, some three dozen all beautifully worked, and which it must have taken months to make; ladies ties, beautifully worked; a handsome pair of footstools worked by hoed and crewelwork on black velvet; and a host of articles which it would baffle even a lady to describe. The second stall was presided over by Mrs Fruhauf, Miss Metz and Mrs Hawley. Most prominent oh this stall are some beautifully worked wax baskets filled with artificial flowers, all hand made and some handsome cushions. This stall, however, largely partakes of the useful in its' display containing a great variety of children's dresses in white llama and satin, decorated with flowers; children's dresses not so much ornamented, but nevertheless useful; underclothing in variety, and an extensive display of dolls and various knick-knacks. Passing on we come to the stall under the management of Mrs Jonas, Mrs and Miss Wilson, In this stall is a splendid hearth rug, made by the ladies of the Committee, and while can be mounted to suit furniture of any shape; mantelpiece brackets, handsome black cloth brackets, worked in silk, pocket-handkerchief cases in silk, velvet, and satin, a sewing machine, specially handsome bracket done on network with crape and silk, brackets for hanging, made of crewel work on satin ; handsome fire screens, bed pockets, got up in a most elaborate style, bedsteads with dressing table and washstand to match, scents, toys, and beads. The fourth stall is presided over by Mrs Levy, Miss Melz, and Mrs Nathan ; consisting, as it chiefly does, of glass ware and Chinaware. The four stalls on the right hand side of the room are presided over by Mrs Salek, Miss Salek, Miss Fred. Osborne, Miss Ada Clark, Miss Selina Clark, Mrs Shields, and Miss F. Crammond. Conspicuous in stall number five, are three elegant cushions. This stall contains a large assortment of children's' clothing of every kind, toys of kinds too numerous to particularise, dolls, fancy wool work, and last, though not least, some fine antimacassars. The first object which catches our attention in the sixth stall is a rustic basket of wood, the natural outlines of which have been preserved with artistic effect. This basket has now geraniums growing in it, but it would be much more suitable for ferns. This was made by Mr Dupree, by whom it was presented to Mrs Salek. On the seven stall are smoking caps in great variety, a large assortment of crewel work, footstools, slippers in morocco, valuable China baskets, cushions, dolls, and doll's bedsteads. The seventh stall contains a bride who is a charming contrast to the three disconsolate widows, who look at her from what may be called across the street. She is the only bride in the Bazaar. There is a splendid fancy worked pin-cushion, vases m numerous shapes china ornaments, mats and brackets m crewel work, children's clothing in large quantity, and numerous other articles. Stall number eight displays handsome cushions, particularly one with the figure worked upon it of a dog; footstools, banners, smoking caps in velvet, bookmarks, children's dresses, and some very nice fire screens. The flower stall is attended to by Miss Levien. The refreshment stall is presided over by Mrs Levien, Mrs Edwards, Mrs Mitchell, and Miss Wallace. We must not omit to mention that Mrs and the Misses Shappere, although not present at the Bazaar, contributed very largely to its success in the way of presents and obtaining donations, many of the goods sent by them being recherché in the extreme. The floral decorations could not be surpassed, and Mr Harney deserves great credit for supervising them. A more fresh appearance than they convey could not be desired. The music, which was excellent and most enlivening, was provided by Messrs Juncker, Statham, and Merry.
Timaru Herald, 4 November 1880, Page 6
ST MARY'S. Fully a year ago when the building of a new St. Mary's was decided upon by the Vestry, and endorsed by the parishioners, it was thought advisable that prior to, or just after the proposed new structure was taken in hand, a bazaar should be held by which to raise a portion of the funds required. After some considerable discussion as to the best time for holding it, it was eventually settled that the "show " week of 1880 promised best, both on account of the length of time given for making or procuring articles for sale, and on account of the great influx of people drawn to Timaru by the attractions of the Agricultural Show. No. I— (Right of doorway) Mrs F.J. Wilsen, assisted by Mrs White and the Misses Wilson, Holiday, Allen, Clarke, and Cliff (a portion of this stall was placed on the opposite side of the room, presided over by Miss Cliff.)
No. 2 — Mesdames Perry and C. Perry, assisted by Mesdames Jameson, Bristol, and Acland, and the Misses Mein, L. Mein, and Foster.
No. 3 — Mesdames F. LeCren and Christophers, assisted by Mrs Newton and the Misses Lovegrove, Shrimpton, and LeCren (2).
Flower and Picture Stall— Mrs Hassell, assisted by the Misses Hassell (3).
Refreshment Stall — Mrs Belfield, assisted by the Misses McLaren, Archer, Delamain, and Woollcombe (2).
No. 4 — (Left band looking up the hall next to stage) Mesdames Goodall and Howley, assisted by Mrs Wright and the Misses White and Goldsbro.
No.5 — Mesdames Gibson and Meikle, assisted by the Misses Durand, Hobbs, Stone, Grater, Statham, Melton, and Taylor.
No. 6— Mesdames Tate, H. J. Sealy and R. Rutherford, assisted by Mesdames Cooper, Fowler, Grierson, Butter, and Webb, and the Misses Manders and Wilson. The bazaar closed at half-past ten o'clock last night, and if judged by the takings since noon, it may be said to be an unqualified success, almost upon four hundred pounds having been received.4 November 1880, Page 6
Timaru Herald, 4 May 1887, Page 3 THE STALLS.
The ladies, to whom our military friends have entrusted the getting up of the Bazaar in the Drillshed, certainly deserve the best thanks of the Garrison Corps, for in a few hours their busy skilful hands have transformed the bare, cold Drillshed into something like a fairyland. It can have been no ordinary labor that was brought to bear upon the stalls, for since yesterday morning they have blossomed forth as bowers of beauty. Entering by the main door and going round with the sun, we first encounter the Navals' stall (H.M.S. Jubilee, a model war brig, capitally got up by Mr. I.J. Bradley and other Navals), which is now freighted with all kinds of pretty trifles and more substantial articles of beauty and usefulness. The little craft, in spite of the threatening appearance of her hull, is laden with emblems of peace and joy. Strings of dolls are suspended to the stays, and the standing rigging is adorned with miniature wax figures, clad in man-o'-war dress (the products of Petty Officer Head's skill). The deck cargo is certainly of a varied character. The next stall is that of the Artillery, and is a pretty square, enclosed with tastefully arranged draperies and filled with an endless variety of articles. The refreshment stall is of considerable dimensions. The respective stalls are in" charge of the following ladies: —
Navals Stall.— (H.M.S. Jubilee)-- Mrs Meason, the Misses Lovegrove, Wood, and Woollcombe.
N.Z A. Stall. — Mrs Stubbs, the Misses Jones, King, and Stnblis.
Timaru Volunteer Rifles Stall — Mesdames "While, Jowsey, Howley, and McPherson, find assistants.
Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry Stall.-— Mesdames Wright, Godby, Lindsay, Lynch, and Thomas, and assistants.
Refreshment Stall — Mesdames Jonas and Dawson. In the middle of the shed is erected a square stage, which will be utilised for the band or for dancing during the continuance of the bazaar. At the rear of the Artillery stall is a masked battery in the form of a beautifully decorated stage and a canvass enclosure. This is the Victoria Theatre, where the British drama will be presented and tableaux exhibited. To the right of the C.Y.C. stall is a shooting gallery in the efficient charge of Mr G. C Miles, solo lessee. A South door opens on a gangway leading up to the "Jubilee Theatre" in which the "Jubilee Minstrels " are to render a number of melodies which they have been assiduously practising. The provisions for lighting the main Hall and the side shows are admirable, and when the shed fills, as it assuredly will, the scene will undoubtedly be a very brilliant one.
Timaru Herald, 11 September 1896, Page 3
LIBRARY BAZAAR AT PLEASANT POINT.
A Bazaar was held on Monday last m the Assembly Rooms, Pleasant Point, in aid of the funds of the Pleasant Point Library. Mr E. Acton formally opened the bazaar, and from 11 a.m. till 11 p.m. business went on briskly, with the result that the effort was a splendid success in every respect. The hall was nicely decorated with greenery and presented quite an attractive appearance. The refreshment stall, presided over by Mesdames Fraser and Tozer, assisted by Misses Raynor and Anderson, was placed across the front part of the hall, and contained an excellent assortment of delicacies of every description, provided for the moat part by the ladies, although the gentlemen also contributed. The attendants were kept going most of the day and did a good business. The fancy and useful stall was situated from end to end of the hall going in, and was crowded with things useful an ornamental, all of which were fair value for the prices demanded. The more expensive articles, such as a quilt worked by Miss Anderson, and valued at £5, numerous dolls, cushions, etc., were raffled, and brought in perhaps more than anything else, no less than 150 one shilling subscriptions (two extra prizes were added to this raffle) being collected for the quilt, which fell to Mrs L. Laurenson, of Pleasant Point. The stall was presided over by Mesdames Hinsen, Oliver, and Worthington, assisted by Misses Hudson (2), Clarkson (2), Morris (2), Griffiths, Rae, M. Orton, Lyle, Greig, Worthington and Stewart, and the labours of these ladies were incalculable; so great was the amount of stuff to be disposed of that it was 11 p.m. before the drawing in the final art union —all prizes and no blanks—took place. The fish pond, or dip, was under the direction of Mrs McAllister, assisted by Miss McAllister, and helped to swell the takings considerably, as also did the galvanic battery, manipulated by Mr A. Tozer and Dr Thomas, and the fairy fortune-tellers in the hands of Misses Lyle and Stewart. As it was sale day there was a goodly gathering from the surrounding district, and the services of Mr Maclean, auctioneer, assisted by Messrs J. Stewart and F. Dossett, were invaluable in the disposal of the farm produce given for sale. In the evening so great was the crush that it was almost impossible to move about, and this detracted somewhat from the pleasures of the dance, which commenced at half-past 11 o'clock, and continued till 3 a.m. on Tuesday. The music was supplied by two gentlemen from Temuka, and Mr E. Ley acted as M.C. Among private collectors those whose lists were of large dimensions, Dr Thomas, Mrs McAllister, and Mr J. Stewart might be mentioned. Besides the many articles given for auction sale by local donors, among which were a set of harrows (Messrs Kennedy and Gibson), and a wheel barrow (Mr J. Elder). The bazzar realised about 60.
Timaru Herald, 26 October 1900, Page 3
TEMUKA RIFLES' BAZAAR.
The grand bazaar is connection with the Temuka Rifles was formally opened yesterday afternoon by Mr F. R. Flatman, M.H.R. The bazaar is being held in the volunteer drillshed and hall, the former being utilised for general purposes, and the latter as a concert and entertainment room. The drillshed has been nicely decorated, and the stalls are adapted to the varied products, etc., to be offered. Some description has already been given of the Maori stall, at which Mrs Heatley presides. She has as assistants Stella Rehu, F. Fowler, Kaihu Kuikaru and A. Kaikaru, T. Rehu, and W. Gomez. The stall attracts a good deal of attention from its unique and rather ancient frontage, and there are displayed a splendid collection of Maori mats, etc. The fancy stall, with the motto Red, White and Blue, is under the charge of Mesdames McCullum, Beri, Bissett, T. Anderson, and Misses Williams, Griffiths, Linton, Leary, and L. Quinn. All these ladies appear in charming fancy costumes. Lady Blunden, with Misses Grant and Nantes as assistants, runs a sweetmeat stall, and does remarkably good business. A lost property office is under the charge of Masters Frank Coira, and Mrs Heap and Miss Heap indulge in the illicit business of fortune-telling. The commissariat stall is controlled by Commandant Mrs Coira, with a bevy of assistants all in uniform. Their titles are various, but in ordinary life .they are known as Mrs J. T. Parke, Mrs J. Anderson, Mrs Hobbs, Mrs J. Dailey, Mrs J. Swaney, Miss Roulston, and Miss Coira. This is a most attractive stall. It is simply laden with the choicest of provender, but its central attraction is a saddle of mutton, splendidly dressed by Mr Nines, of Messrs W. McCully and Co., Timaru. It is a veritable work of art. Another fancy stall, conducted by Mesdames Chapman, E. Whitehead, Misses Henry, Lee, McAuliffe, Robertson, Bertha Lee, Lily Henry, and H. Chapman, attracts attention by its varied display in useful and ornamental articles ; and the Swiss stall, at which Misses McCaskill, Jessep, McLeod, and McGimpsey preside, is another charming feature. Misses Hobbs run a bran pie, and Miss McCaskill a post office. The refreshment stall, which is most liberally patronised, is under the control of Mesdaines Richardson, jun., and Feilden, who have Mesdames Swaney, Rissel, Twomey, O'Donuhue, and Misses Chapman, Weldon, Guild, and Inwood as waitresses. There are several side-shows, and last night the farce " Painless Dentistry" was played by a number of local amateurs. The Temuka Brass Band lent valuable assistance parading the town and playing in the hall.
Timaru Herald, 27 October 1900, Page 3
OTAIO AND BLUECLIFFS PARISH BAZAAR.
The final meeting of a general committee of ladies who have had in hand the arranging of a bazaar in aid of the Otaio and Bluecliffs parish funds, was held at St. Andrews last Tuesday, and was well attended, the vicar, Rev. L. Carsley Brady, presiding. The bazaar will be held Mr Bruce's large grain shed on November 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. The ladies of the parish, and many friends outside whose aid has been enlisted, have been working industriously for the last twelve months, and a large quantity of splendid material has been accumulated for the bazaar. At Tuesday's meeting donations were received from Mrs; George Grey Russell and Mrs Philip Russell, also promises of books for the bookstall from Archdeacon Harper and Mrs Lindsay. The following are the names of the stallholders : —
Sale of work : Mesdames Alexander, D. Anderson, Bassett, Hawkes, G. Williams, Gellatly, Veal, Misses Stonyer, Moffatt, Campbell, Dynes, and Coe.
Refreshment stall: Mesdames R. H. Rhodes, McLaren, Bruce, and Cartwright.
Fruit, flowers, ferns, pot plants, and books: Mesdames Teschemaker and Elworthy.
Toy stall and Christmas tree: Misses Wederell and Mrs Hoskin.
The stall-holders have power to select their own assistants. A sub-committee, consisting of Mesdames D. Anderson, Hawkes, Bruce, Alexander, Gellatly, and Williams, and Misses Hall, Russell, and Stephenson, was appointed to attend to the decoration of the building. Distinctive rosettes were adopted for the attendants at each stall, and also for the vestrymen, who will render general assistance. Mr Teschemaker has presented three fat sheep, and will supervise a weight guessing competition. A sale of stock will be held, and the committee invites parishioners and other friends to make gifts of stock and produce for this sale. There will be a musical programme each evening, and a variety of amusements will be provided.
Timaru Herald, 26 October 1900, Page 3 THE MECHANICS' BAZAAR
WHAT THE LADIES' COMMITTEE HAVE DONE. As noted m our columns yesterday, the Ladies' Committee who have worked so actively and enthusiastically, held their last working meeting on "Tuesday last. Next week they confidently hope to see expectations realised, and to reap the just reward of services given ungrudgingly in aid of a cause that appeals to all who read books, magazines and newspapers. The bazaar will be held m the drillshed, which has often been proved to be the very thing for such gatherings— not too far out of the busy centres, and commodious for all purposes. In the bazaar proper there will be three general stalls, a, produce stall and a flowers and sweets stall. All these stalls will be situated on the ground floor. In the rooms will be a comic art gallery, and a shooting gallery, and the officers' larger apartments will be set apart as the refreshment room. Immediately opposite will be the curio room. In addition to these a large marquee it to be erected, in which first-rate entertainments will be held every evening. The stalls are called after the names of towns which have become famous m the history of the Boer war. " Pretoria" will be garrisoned by Mesdames Whelch and Lawson and Miss Whelch ; "Ladysmith" by Mesdames Hole, Goodman and Watts; " Mafeking " by Mesdames Grahame, White, Palliser and Penrose; "Kimberley" (produce stall) by Mrs Triggs and Miss Park ; " Bloemfontein " (flowers and sweets) by Misses Holdgate (2) and Cullmann (2); " Little Bobs " (refreshments) by Mesdames P. Cameron, Hipkins and Clough. The ladies named will be assisted by numerous scouting and skirmishing parties of young ladies. The curio room will be managed by Mesdames Le Cren and Cowan, the contents having been got together by Mrs Le Cren, and it will contain some very valuable exhibits. The comic art gallery will be under the official charge of Mr Leslie Douglas, and the shooting range of Mr James Slitter. The various stalls will be hung with white and draped m red and blue, so that the trinity — red, white and blue, will run throughout. The flower stall will be draped with green, as more appropriate and as making the best background. The ladies who are to manage the stalls are to wear knot of red, white and blue ribbon, and the bevy of attendants white dresses and red, white and blue ribbons, so that it can truly be said to be a "Red, white and blue bazaar." The first night's entertainment will be given by the ladies and gentlemen of the Wesleyan choir and their friends, Mrs Flockton being the moving spirit among them; on the second night a grand concert has been organised by Miss Whelch; on the third night there will be a series of tableaux taken from Academy pictures and organised by Mrs LeCren ; and on the fourth night the Battalion Band has been asked to play the Exhibition test pieces.
Timaru Herald, 2 November 1900, Page 4
THE INSTITUTE BAZAAR. A most interesting half-hour can be spent in the curio gallery at the Institute Bazaar, for the modest sum of sixpence. There is a collection of articles from South Africa, such as the Queen's chocolate box (contributed by Trooper Hedges) and Kruger coinage. There are numerous Maori relics, of undoubted value, and some Burmese curiosities an ancient Buddhist altar cloth, and priest's robe, massive brass candelebra, curious firearms. A valuable collection of Indian brass-work is contributed by Captain Sutter, displayed on tables which also bear some books of great antiquity, inlaid cabinets, tables, etc. On side tables, one finds a valuable collection of throwing spears, fire-sticks, boomerangs, assegais, and clubs, lately collected by Mr Douglas LeCren in the Islands and from the natives of Central Queensland. There are also interesting cases of shells, cornelians, and diamond quartz from Calcutta. On the walls above these are displayed Maori robes of State, enormous snake-skins, interesting models of Indian servants, South African portraits, Fijian dresses, and bows and arrows, ancient Japanese armour, sword and gun, collections of insects, Maori paddles and sceptres, battleaxes, and greenstone meres, hatchets, and chisels, and heitikis contributed by Captain Wray. Some very old British pottery and chinaware (a small black jug 100 years, Miss Smith's small brown one over 150 years old) are shown. Mr Sterndale's collection of weapons, scalps, from the Indian frontier, is noteworthy, especially so a silver shield and helmet. A valuable collection of royal autograph letters and photos, and Bonaparte's commission, with his signature and the seal of the Republic, is lent by Mr Hibbard. Three magnificent bear-skins are stretched on the south wall and a wonderful Danish chair, 200 years old, is lent by Mr LeCren. Of equal age is a needlework exhibit lent by Mrs Bourne. A small collection of asps and snakes in formaline will be seen and mocassins, fans rugs, etc. There are many smaller items too numerous to particularise, the whole making a collection well worth not merely a glance, but very carefully looking over. There was an excellent attendance at the Institute Bazaar last night, and very cheerful time was enjoyed by those present The special entertainment for the evening was a series of living pictures prepared by Mrs H. LeCren and assisted by Miss Rutherford. These were reproductions of Academy pictures or of photographs of recent "khaki" incidents, taken from Home illustrated papers.
Timaru Herald, 4 November 1880, Page 7
The building which on the occasion fell a prey to the " good servant, bad mailer," was the well known Mechanics Institute, which for the last fifteen or sixteen years has formed the local habitation of the small public library, and in the hall of which, of more recent date, the amusement-loving public have often been regaled. At about five minutes to ten o'clock last Oct. 29 an alarm was given at the Fire Brigade Station that a fire bad broken out in the Institute, and very shortly afterwards both engines were taken to the scene. The building on their arrival was one mass of flames, excepting the front portion, and numbers of willing hands were engaged removing the books from the Library. Two-lengths of hose were quickly run out, one of the engines working at the well at the back of the Supreme Court, the other at the well at the old Land Office in Heaton street. By the time the hose were got into play, the whole building was enveloped, and the flames were bursting through the woodwork of the main entrance. Attention was therefore directed to the cottage adjoining the Institute on the east side, occupied by Mr Plante, which had by this time been cleared of all the furniture. The fence dividing the two sections had caught, and it looked as though the cottage was also doomed, but by the exertions of a body of volunteers, it was with considerable difficulty saved, wet blankets being placed on the roof and side nearest the burning building, and a jet of water kept continually poured upon these parts from a small garden engine. On the west side though, the management of those in charge of the hose was somewhat different, for after throwing some water on to the roof and walls of the Courthouse, the eastern side of which was scorched and the glass in the windows cracked with the intense heat, the hose was directed on to the burning mass. Though the engine was heavily manned by members of the Brigade and a number of willing volunteers, it threw a ridiculously small jet, which of course was absolutely useless. Even had it been thrice as powerful, it seemed a great waste of energy to attempt to beat down the flames in this direction, as the fire had too great a mastery to be subdued by anything short of the most powerful steam engine. The uselessness of the proceeding soon, however, was apparent, and it would appear that an order was given to take the engine to the back of the burning building, for a fireman sprang forward with an axe and commenced hacking at the cap rail of the high iron fence which runs at the back of the Courthouse. At to the origin of the fire, nothing whatever is known at present. A rumor had gained ground that it arose through a lamp being upset by some persons connected with the late Bazaar, who were in the hall that evening, but this is utterly groundless. The last one to leave the hall was Mr Smith, who had been engaged by the Bazaar Committee to assist m packing up the unsold goods, and to re-arrange the hall. He was visited by the Ven. Archdeacon Harper at a quarter past six, and at half-past six Smith left the building, handing the key of the inner door of the chess room to the Librarian, at which time everything was right. The Librarian looked up at five minutes to ten o'clock, and a quarter of an hour afterwards the fire was observed. Detective Kirby was the first to reach the building, and he immediately broke open one of the side doors and rushed into the hall, when he observed the whole of the stage on fire and the flames curling upwards lo the roof. His Worship the Mayor, who arrived a few minutes afterwards, finding the gas had not been turned off at the meter, gave instructions for it to be turned off at the Gas Works, and consequently the interiors of buildings were soon m darkness. Dense clouds, however, overhung the town, and these refloated the bright glare of the fire, so that the streets were as light as day. Consumed with the building were between £20 and £30 worth of goods belonging to the Church of England Bazaar Committee (a large quantity having fortunately been removed early in the afternoon), a new piano belonging to Mr Stansell, which had been lent to the Bazaar Committee, and the piano belonging to the Institute. The bazaar goods were covered by Insurance, Mr Stanley's piano was fully insured, and the other instrument was insured for £100. Fortunately all the books in the library were saved, although some of them suffered severely by being carelessly thrown from the room on to the footpath, and had it not been for some more sensible person procuring a door on which to place the others, they too would have suffered. Too much praise cannot be accorded Inspector Pender, who, with the force at his command, maintained excellent order amongst the large crowd and kept a clear space for the operations of the firemen. Mr Thomas Turnbull, the late Captain of the Fire Brigade, was in the foremost rank of volunteers and worked, as he usually does in such cases, with untiring energy, to him mainly being due the saving of the cottage mentioned m the former part of this report. With but a small jet of water from a garden, engine, and exposed to the fury of the fire, he stood at his post until the safety of the cottage was beyond doubt. Members of the Rocket Brigade and Volunteer Artillery also did good service; in fact, there was no lack of volunteers.
Barker's Berry Barn, Geraldine was established in 1969 by Anthony and Gillian Barker as a cottage industry to make elderberry wine from wild elderberries. Barker's is now one of the country's leading producers of natural fruit products. The firm, which specialises in juices, chutneys, toppings, jams, sauces, condiments, conserves, kiwifruit and mulled wines, has become a stopping-off point for passersby. Spiced Plum Sauce is my favourite made with dark red plums from Central Otago. This family firm, Barkers Fruit Processing Ltd is the biggest employer in the area employing about 120 people in 2009. The fruit is processed on their Te Moana Rd property. The label was updated in 2009 by Michael Barker. Old label bottom left - new label reads "Barker's of Geraldine. Est. 1969." "For six generations the Barker family has lived in South Canterbury. Crafting delicious preserves from carefully selected produce has been a family tradition." In 2014 this Geraldine company, whose 150 workers produce a range of over 50 products, was named South Canterbury's supreme business at the South Canterbury Business Excellence Awards and also took the innovation and technology and manufacturing and primary produce awards.
2013 August. The Barker's-owned Anathoth brand was bought in 2007-08. Sales of Barker's fruit syrups were up by 30 per cent in the 12 months to July from the prior year. The new bottling line had to have the flexibility to cater for a wide range of preserves and juice products in a variety of different-sized glass or plastic jars and bottles, Barker said. The company still tried to source New Zealand grown fruit where possible, though imports were used in some cases, for example cranberries not grown in quantity in New Zealand were sourced from Canada. The products are manufactured on a corner of a downsized family farm, just 8km outside of the South Canterbury town with 140 full time and 50 part time staff making it the biggest employer in Geraldine.
2014 label. Our view from the family farm. Celebrating 45 years on the family farm. Fruiter than our old recipes. 350g net. Fruit Preserve. Geraldine.
Four Peaks. The flat peak on the far left is Mt. Walker not part of the four peaks.
Barker, Anthony Michael (ca. 1927-1999, Pleasant Valley)
Timaru Herald, 23 Jul 1999; p.2 33cm
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial
District] 1903 pg 887 & 888
Barker, W. E., [William Edward Barker b. 26 Aug. 1858.] Fruitgrower,
Waikonini Orchard, Peel Forest.
Mr Barker is a son of the late Dr. Alfred Barker, who came out to the colony in the ship “Charlotte Jane,” and settled in Christchurch. He was born in Christchurch in 1858, and received the first part of his education at Christ's College, Christchurch, and finished at Jesus College, Cambridge. On returning to the colony in 1880 Mr. Barker bought his present property of 150 acres, and immediately began to prepare a portion of the land for fruit trees. The first 700 trees were planted in 1883, and 3300 in 1893. The trees were carefully selected and systematically planted in diagonal page 888 rows, 15 feet by 12 feet apart. The orchard covers an area of nine acres and is now in full bearing and free from blight. In 1901 two additional acres were planted with about 300 trees, chiefly Japanese plums, peaches and cherries, which have been espaliered and wired in to protect them from small birds. A large quantity of fruit is annually gathered and finds a market all over the South Island, but the chief portion is sold in Dunedin. Mr. Barker entered into his business with confidence and is a thoroughly successful fruitgrower. He grows a large quantity of red clover in the orchard, where bees find food in summer and sheep and pigs in the winter. Mr. Barker has built a two-storey dwellinghouse, which overlooks the Canterbury Plains, and has planted ornamental and forest trees extensively. He runs sheep and cattle on the balance of the property. Mr. Barker has served on the licensing bench and is chairman of the Mount Peel Floral and Horticultural Association which he instituted, and is also chairman of the local school committee. He was married, in 1880, to Gertrude Ellen Pritchett, daughter of Mr. Pritchett, architect, Darlington, England. Mr. Barker's first wife died in 1884, and he afterwards married Lucy Mary Pritchett, his deceased wife's sister, and has a family of five sons and six daughters. Former home named Waikonini.
Press, 19 March 1935, Page 12 MR W. E. BARKER
Mr W. E. Barker, who died at Waikonini, Peel Forest, on March 12, was a member of a family associated with the development of Canterbury from the earliest days. Mr Barker was born in 1858, the son of the late Dr. A. C. Barker, who arrived in Canterbury on the Charlotte Jane in 1850. Mr Barker was educated first at Mrs Alabaster's school and at Christ's College, afterwards going to Jesus College, Cambridge. His intention had been to follow his father's profession, but he did not do so, returning to Canterbury and settling at Peel Forest, where he farmed his own land. In 1880 he married Gertrude Ellen Pritchett. of Darlington. Yorkshire.
Mr Barker was active in church work in the Peel Forest district, being a lay reader at St. Stephen's Church. For many years he took Bible classes in the Sunday school at the church. Later he became interested in the Salvation Army, and was connected with a Band of Hope and a Good Templars' Lodge. In 1884 his wife died, leaving him three small children; in succeeding years he was even more devoted to the church, in the work of sick visiting and teaching. In 1887 he married the sister of his former wife. The bishop's chair at St. Stephen's Church. Peel Forest, was the gift of Mr Barker, and the bell at the church is a memorial to his first wife. Apart from the church. Mr Barker took a general interest in the progress of the district, especially in horticulture; he founded the local horticultural shows in 1890. In his retirement he was still interested in horticulture, and at the time of his death he was president of the local society and a member of the Scenic Board for the preservation of the bush at Peel Forest.
At the time of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the province, Mr Barker took part in a tableau representing the early settlement at Lyttelton, in which he was dressed as his father. The tableau recalled the first home of Dr. Barker, showing him standing outside a tent made from a studding-sail of the Charlotte Jane, the front being built of packing-cases and bearing the brass elate—often mentioned in stories of the First Four Ships—with the inscription. "A. C. Barker, Surgeon." Mr Barker recently lent to "The Press" for publication his father's diary of the voyage of the Charlotte Jane, but he did not live to see it in print. He is survived by five sons and five daughters: Mrs C. E. Howden (Auckland), Misses V. G. Barker (Redcliff's), O. M. Barker (Peel Forest), R. G. Barker (Christchurch), and R. E. Barker (Peel Forest), Messrs P. D. Barker (Geraldine), O. H. Barker (Peel Forest), E. C. Barker (Christchurch), J. E. Barker (Kaikoura), and C. D. Barker (Toronto, Canada). His eldest brother, Mr A. L. Barker, is living at Winchester, South Canterbury.
Funeral at Mount Peel The funeral of Mr W. E. Barker took place last Thursday to the Mount Peel cemetery, and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. The services in the church and at the graveside were taken by the Rev. J. F. Coursey, vicar of Geraldine. Wreaths were sent by the following:— Freda, Chris, and family: Eric and Betty: Violet; Olive, Rhoda and Owen; Cedric, Dorothy, and Owen; Frank. Rita, and boys; Minione, Ernest, and family: Wink; Jean Robertson (Wainui); Rocky Ridges; Mr and Mrs Walter Johnstone; John Rae: Mr and Mrs G. R Wooding (Mount Peel); Mr and Mrs J. Rees. Commander and Mrs Dennistoun; Mrs S. J. Dennistoun: Mrs Pyne: Mr and Mrs Y. Robinson; Herbert. Hilda, and family; Geraldine parish: Peel Forest Horticultural Society; Mr and Mrs MacPhail: Mr and Mrs J. H. Tripp: Mr and Mrs J. G. Turton; Mrs G. R. M. Macdonald and family: Mrs Turton: Miss Tripp and Mrs Stopford: Mrs Empson; Mrs Spencer: and Mrs B. Williams. On Sunday evening a memorial service was held in St. Stephen's Church, Peel Forest.
Press, 1 July 1932, Page 15 MR F. H. BARKER.
Mr Francis Henry Barker, one of the early settlers in South Canterbury, died in Timaru yesterday at the age of 78. Mr Barker was a son of Mr. C. A. Barker [sic], who was one of the first arrivals, and for many years was a prominent surgeon in Christchurch. It is interesting to recall that his father's name appeared on the first electoral roll for the Timaru district in 1857. Mr Barker was born in Christchurch in 1853, and received his education at Christ's College. After leaving school he spent some time in a merchant's office, but clerical work did not appeal to him, and ho turned his attention to the land. At the age of 25 he married Miss Marion Cox, a daughter of Mr Alfred Cox, of Geraldine, who was at one time a member of the House of Representatives. Mr Barker acquired a property at Orari, where he carried on mixed fanning successfully for many years until he retired from this occupation about 25 years ago. He then purchased Mrs Luxmore's property in Timaru, residing there for a considerable period until he disposed of this and settled in his home in Nile street, where he lived until the time of his death. Mr Barker was keenly interested in the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, of which he was one of the foundation shareholders, when the concern was established in 1880. He subsequently became a director of the Association and hold a seat on the directorate for over 40 years, retiring in 1927. He was also a director of the Fanners' Co-operative Insurance Company. In his younger days Mr Barker was a fine sportsman. He played in Rugby football for some years in South Canterbury, and was one of the finest forwards who ever represented the district:. He was a member of the Temuka Football Club. He also took a keen interest in angling, and was regarded as one of the best exponents in the district. Mr Barker made several trips to England during his retirement. He was a staunch member of the Anglican Church in Timaru.
The Barker Story, 1969-1999 / researched and written by Patsy McKenzie.
Soft cover booklet; 64pp with card cover
McKenzie, Patsy, 1934-
[Geraldine, N.Z.]: Barker Fruit Processors, 
Barker Fruit Processors and Wine and winemaking -- Geraldine -- History
Barker's is no longer the same cottage industry; it has grown into a much larger enterprise.
Another orchard - Honeycrsip NZ Apples at Waipopo Orchard's 80 hectares, 17 Connolly Road, Seadown, New Zealand. Another 40ha of land is being planted. 650 tonnes (30,000 cartons) to the States in 2013. South Canterbury has golden weather. The Honeycrsip doesn't thrive in warmer climates like Nelson or Hawkes Bay but it loves cooler South Canterbury. "You've got something close to the Garden of Eden here. We have tried other places, but South Canterbury and Central Otago are just right for it. It almost didn't happen; we only looked into this region after another deal didn't work out." On Country Calendar. In 2012 it was decided to market this New Zealand HoneyCrisp as the HoneyCrunch apple to the USA. This is to set the New Zealand HoneyCrisp apart from other HoneyCrisp apples that may be available at this time. The baby blue fruit stand / barn just north of Timaru, up the main road, sells fresh produce from Waipopo Orchards and other local suppliers. Apples are one of the main crops including Cox's Orange, Gala and Braeburn apples as well as Honeycrsip. Apricots, peaches and nectarines are also popular. Apricots are in the shop from early January to May. Export markets demand no residue on its fruit, so the produce is free of chemical risks.
New Zealand Herald, 18 March 1886, Page 12
Fruit in the Orari, Temuka, and Geraldine districts this season is quite a "drug in the market," apples and peaches especially selling for little or nothing. Tons upon tons of the fruit have already been sent away, but still the supply is excessive. It is reported that a man in the Geraldine district is feeding his pigs on apples, as he cannot get anyone to pay him even a half-penny a pound for them.
The Timaru Herald states: The low price of sheep in the South Canterbury district is causing much uneasiness. At the recent monthly sale at Makikihi hardly any purchasers turned up, and large numbers of sheep could not be sold at any price. A private telegram from a run to the north of Waimate County says that a squatter there is prepared to give away four thousand head to anybody who will come and take them."
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project