Search billions of records on

The Waimataitai Estate (1856 -1883) and Mr Herbert BELFIELD (1834 -1917) 

Herbert Belfield lived in a brick house on what is now Waimataitai Street. Judge C. Dudley R. Ward was a neighbour of his and he lived in a stone house, over the bridge in the late 1870s. We have proved that the lovely bluestone cottage was Judge Ward's residence. The home of Judge Ward, named "Eversley", was on the seaward side of the railway. The street, named after his house, ran below his house. Eversley was named after Herbert Belfield's mother's maiden name. The street had a name change and is now Pacific St., the waves pound the rocks below. Map - opens up in another window, B is Belfield House and is the bluestone cottage. The other side of the railway retained the name Eversley St.. Waimataitai Street is along a ridge, where you can see south over Ashbury Park and the harbour, and looking north you see the old A. & P. Showgrounds and the 90-mile beach. At the east end of Waimataitai street is a bridge that straddles the railway cutting. The railway was put through in the mid-1870s. In the 1882 List of Freeholders of N.Z., Herbert Belfield, journalist of Timaru, owned 88 acres in the Geraldine County valued at £7875, remember that Geraldine County came right into Wai-iti Road in those days.

Ashbury Park 31 July 2011 by MT.
Ashbury Park - see the hollow, that is probably where the Waimataitai Creek ran. Photo taken 31st July 2011 by M.T.

Know a town's street-names, and you know half its history. 

The Waimataitai Estate ran from the Waimataitai Creek, which runs through the Highfield Golf Course, under a culvert in Selwyn Street, under the Pack & Save Supermarket, and crosses Evans St. where the Fish & Chip shop is on the corner of Ranui Ave and the main road but sixty years it ran right across the middle of Ashbury Park and entered the sea at the Waimataitai Beach. In recent years this creek has been contained in a huge concert culvert and is no longer visible from Selwyn Street to the sea. There used to be a line of trees across Ashbury Park, since removed and this marked where the creek was to the public. The eastern boundary was the sea. The western boundary was Evans Street. And the northern boundary was Taitarakihi Creek sometimes spelt Te Aitarakihi. This creek was located near the bottom of the southern side of the Showgrounds Hill. It had its beginnings up in the Elloughton Grange property and ran through Old North Road along the back of Grantlea School and down to Evans Street. It formed the southern boundary of the Showgrounds and went through the railway embankment and through the Council's Pound Paddocks and entered the sea at that little cove between Smithfield Freezing Works and the Abattoir. So the streets included in Belfield's estate included Pringle St., Belfield St., Waimataitai St, Eversley St., Norwood St., Richmond St., Pacific St., Westcott St., Climie Terrace and Moore St.. Creek Road was later renamed Norwood St. Eversley St. after Herbert Belfield's mother's maiden name.  Thomas Pringle lived in the Waimataitai Valley.

The bridge at the end of Waimataitai St., over the railway cutting. James Murray, a surveyor made a subdivision over the bridge before 1920 and named the streets after members of his family. Climie was his wife's maiden name. Moore and Richmond were his son's middle names and Wescott his daughter's middle name.

Timaru Herald, 8 June 1895, Page 2
Mr and Mrs Thomas Pringle, of Waimataitai, celebrated their silver wedding day, and the birthday of their eldest daughter, on Thursday. A goodly number of relations and personal friends were present, and a most homely evening was passed by all. Mr Emil Hall made a very happy speech in proposing the health of Mr and Mrs Pringle and family, referring to their kindness and generosity on that and many other occasions, and of the pleasant evenings spent at their home. He hoped that they would live to see their golden and diamond wedding days, and that the next 25 years would be as prosperous and happy as the last. The toast having been very cordially honoured the evening was spent in music, singing and card-playing, a most enjoyable few hours being brought to a close by the singing of " Auld Lang Syne."  [Mr Pringle was a Timaru Builder and Contractor] 

Timaru Herald, 2 July 1895, Page 2
The late storm threw back the Waimataitai beach a good way, the surf ran up to the railway embankment with force enough to scour the grass off some square yards of it. A few hundred pieces of heavy rubble were earned from the mound protecting the cliff and spread upon the beach. It is about time the authorities were setting about throwing down more rubble at the corner. The beach was pushed back more at the south than at the north end. At the latter there is a curious nest of round pebbles and boulders, the last sweep up of the old beach line perhaps, as round stones seem to find their way to the bottom. The waves do not appear to have power to shift the heavy blocks of rock that have fallen from the reef on that side. What is to be seen on the north side shows that a smaller quantity of stone in larger pieces would protect the south bank.

Waimataitai beach with a concrete groyne, 13 Nov. 2009.  photo

The Waimataitai Lagoon was on the seaside of Ashbury Park and it stretched out to a sandbank running from the tip of Dashing Rocks back towards Benvenue Cliffs and it was fed by the Waimataitai Creek. When the railway was first built it crossed the Waimataitai Lagoon on a railway trestle. That part of the lagoon west of the railway line became Ashbury Park. It was also known as Woollcombe's Lagoon seeing it was on Belfield Woollcombe's land. That lagoon was roughly about 50 acres in size. The creation the Port of Timaru led to a significant change in the longshore drift along the coastline. Instead of longshore drift transporting sediment north up the coast towards the Waimataitai lagoon, the creation of the port blocked the drift of these coarse sediments and caused them to accumulate to the south of the port at South Beach which meant a lack of sediment being deposited on the coast near the Waimataitai lagoon which led to the loss of the barrier enclosing the lagoon in the 1930s and then shortly after, the loss of the lagoon itself in 1933. The Washdyke Lagoon is undergoing erosion and may eventually breach causing loss of another lagoon environment.  

The house is on Waimataitai Street, the street which is opposite Hilltop Dairy. This is the back of BELFIELD HOUSE at 6 Waimataitai Street, LOT 5 DP 22024, still called that today, July 31st 2011. North view and  another view  (opens in another window) from the Showgrounds Hill, the house is in the distance with the Hill Top Dairy  (opens in another window), the pink and white striped roof, to the right.

Timaru Herald 1 April 1878

Who was the contractor? One of them was a plasterer. 

Where did Herbert live while the house was being built? Maybe in the stone cottage or with his cousin or in a hotel?

Timaru Herald, 13 November 1894, Page 3 Fire at Belfield.
Shortly before noon yesterday a fire broke out in an upper room in the large brick house known as Belfield, on the further side of Waimataitia, the property of Mr Herbert Belfield, and occupied by Mr Raymond, solicitor. The fire was observed from the freezing works opposite, and a number of men rushed across and with several other neighbours by means of buckets and ropes they succeeded in extinguishing it. Not much damage was done by the fire. Two of the bedrooms and their contents were considerably burned, and a lath and plaster partition was burned through. A good deal of damage was done by water flowing down walls and along ceilings, fetching down the plaster. The Timaru Fire Brigade drove out with a manual engine and hose reel, but the fire had fortunately been got under by the time they reached the scene. The fire has been traced to a defective chimney. It was very fortunate that the hands from the freezing works were so near and went across so promptly, or with a stiff nor'wester blowing the house must have been destroyed, or its destruction ensured before the fire brigade could have got to work at it. There was some delay at their starting, owing to delay in obtaining a guarantee that expenses out of pocket would be paid by someone. The house, of eleven rooms, and one of the best in or near Timaru, is insured for £1500 in the London and Lancashire office. The furniture is insured in the Imperial office for £350.

The view from Belfield House - Aug. 2011 M.T.
The view from the Belfield House large front lawn facing east gives a great view of the sea and freezing works. Aug. 2011, M.T. The photo from it is easy to see why the freezing workers saw the fire and came running. The street you can see is Pacific with Wescott at bottom.

Timaru Herald, 4 January 1879, Page 3
Inquest on the fire at Judge Ward's Residence
An enquiry into the cause of the recent fire at Judge Ward's residence, was held yesterday, at the Melville Hotel, before B. Beetham, Esq., Coroner, and the following jury :— Messrs W. Bush (foreman), T. G. Cork, C. Green, C. Bowker, G Loader. F. A. Sims, J. Cramond, P. W. Hutton, T. Machin, G. Purdie, W. Healey, W. O'Brien, T. B. Jones, and J. Phelps. The inquiry was conducted by Inspector Pender, and Mr J. W. White, as Crown Solicitor, watched the case on behalf of the railway authorities.... Charles Miller: I am a gardener in the employment of Mr Belfield. I was about three chains away from the line when the fire occurred. I saw the engine throwing out fire about, seven or eight chains away, and I saw another fire along the line. There was no fire in the place before the engine passed. I saw the fire light up in the place pointed out to the jury. I went away then taking no notice of it, as it was a matter of daily occurrence to see fire escape from engines. I returned in about 10 minutes, and saw the fire in the plantation. There were a number of people collected, and we put it out. To Mr White: I saw the sparks fall, and causing smoke to rise. William Ward: I am groom m the employment of Mr Belfield. On the 28th of December, I saw a train with a small engine coming into the cutting, and in about five minutes after I saw a fire in Judge Ward's plantation. I saw the last witness there. I think he smokes. Thomas Tarrant : I am a gardener, and was present at the fire that occurred at Judge Ward's place. It was just catching the orchard when I got there I have traced the fire from the gate to the orchard. After about quarter of an hour's deliberation they returned the following verdict — "That the fire in question originated from sparks from engine A 68, while passing from Albury to Timaru," and added the following rider : — "That the jury consider it advisable that all the railway engines should be provided with spark-catchers on the most improved principle."

Timaru Herald, 12 October 1882, Page 3
Section No. 21, Marchwiel, containing one Acre, or thereabouts, planted with a double belt of well-grown forest trees. This section is the best site in the neighborhood for a residence, being situate on the level land opposite the entrance to Judge Ward's residence, and commanding a fine view of the Waimataitai Valley and the Harbor, and being within easy distance of the Town.

Timaru Herald, 4 March 1899, Page 1
House to let — 9 rooms, every convenience, Pareora water laid on, with 1 acre of garden and 1 acre paddock adjoining; nicely situated at Waimataitai. At present occupied by A. P. O'Callaghan, Esq. ; immediate possession.

Timaru Herald, 2 August 1897, Page 4
The following is the form of the petition which is being carried round the suburbs for signature: — " To His Excellency, the Right Honourable the Earl of Ranfurly, Governor of New Zealand— We, the undersigned resident householders' of the Levels County, being a majority of not less than three fifths of the resident householders within that portion of the Levels County, the boundaries whereof, are hereunder defined, which area or district is adjacent to the Borough of Timaru, and which district together with the Borough of Timaru does not contain nine square miles, nor has within it any two points six miles distant from one another, hereby humbly petition Your Excellency that Your Excellency will by Proclamation incorporate into the said Borough of Timaru all that area in the Canterbury Land District, situated in District of Timaru, as defined in the accompanying schedule."The schedule is as follows:— " The area bounded by a line commencing at a point where the south-eastern extremity of the Borough of Timaru meets the high-water mark, thence running southerly along the highwater mark to a point opposite the south-eastern extremity of the Otipua lagoon, thence to that extremity; thence running along the southern boundary of the Otipua lagoon and along the Otipua creek to a point where it meets St. George's Road; thence along the middle of St. George's Road to the Otipua Road ; thence north westerly along the middle of the Otipua Road to its junction with the Wai-iti Road; thence easterly along the middle of the Wai-iti Road to a point where the eastern boundary of Rural Section 2345 meets the said road; thence northerly along the boundary of Rural Section 2345 to its junction with Rural Section 1529; thence round the western boundary of Rural Section: 1529 to its junction with the Waimataitai Creek; thence along the western boundary of Rural Section 1846; thence along the northern boundary of the said section to the Old North Road ; thence Northerly along the middle of the Old North Road to its junction with Luxmoore Road; thence along the middle of Luxmoore Road to the Main North Road; thence northerly along the middle of the Main North Road to its junction with Eversley Road*; thence along the middle of Eversley Road to the sea ; thence southerly along high-water mark to the north-eastern extremity of the Borough of Timaru; thence along the northern, western and southern boundaries of the said Borough of Timaru to the commencing point." *Eversley Road is that crossing the railway by overhead bridge by the property known as Judge Ward's.

H. Belfield owned rural section 888, near Timaru in 1865. He had a farmlet. In October 1864 he sold some dairy cows, yearling steers and heifers, a yearling bull, a two year old bull, a stock horse, a grey mare and dairy utensils. Sounds like he was going out of the farming business.

Cancelled Crown Grants R.S. 8137  - H Belfield - 4 Nov 1871, which he probably bought off Woollcombe. Bargefrede also owned a part of this R/Section.
Belfield also owned R/S 1529 of 20 acres in Timaru, and he owned Town Section 47 in Timaru.

From Climie Tce to Moore Street 31 July 2011 by MT.   From Climie Tce to Moore Street 31 July 2011 by MT.
From Climie Tce to Moore Street, a wonderful view. Ashbury Park is in the background and Waimataitai beach to left of picture.
Dashing Rocks walkway- map. The footbridge connects Moore Street to Climie Tce. The bridge hugs the cliff and has been strengthened and repaired over the years. Photos taken by M.T. 31st July 2011, 1 p.m.

An ocean view - wrecks were frequent

Otago Witness 15 February 1868, Page 4
The steamer William Miskin, 115 tons. The beach from Whale's Creek to the rocky promontory presented a melancholy scene on the day after the wreck, the entire lenght being strewn with fragments of the broken up vessel - iron plates, cabin furniture, parts of doors, planks, tea, chests, bits of passengers' luggage, tins of kerosene, &c. &c. all in inexticable confusion. Of the Miskin itself nothing remains but the boilers standing upright in the sand, with a small portion of the vessels' bow; everything has been clean washed out of her. Not a vestiage of a deck, or an atom of wood is there - all is completely destroyed. The inquiry was held before the Resident Magistrate and Sub-Collector of Customs, Capt. Scott acting as nautical assessor. Capt. Bain and his crew desire publicly to return their sincere thanks to Mr Belfield for the hospitality shown to them.

Otago Daily Times 26 June 1868, Page 4
An official enquiry into the wreck of the Despatch was held on Thursday last, before B. Woollcombe, Esq., R.M., and Captain R. Scott, Nautical Assessor. Mr Hart, of the Customs, also watched the enquiry. The following evidence was taken :— Alexander Taylor sworn, deposed: I am a master mariner, late master of the Despatch. The Captain is dead. I believe the vessel was twenty five years old. Ship's papers were all in the wreck. She is a total wreck. John Sullivan: I am a seaman, late acting second mate of the Despatch.. We all made our way to the house of Mr Belfield, who was very kind to us.

Timaru Herald, 29 June 1870, Page 5 STRANDING OF THE SCHOONER AURORA
The Aurora, a schooner of 42 tons, Osborne, master, anchored in the roadstead on Thursday, June 15th. On Friday and Saturday she discharged a good portion of her cargo of coals, and was to have sailed for Wellington either on the 20th or 21s with a cargo of grain. On Sunday night, or rather early on Monday morning, a little after two o'clock, the Harbour Master, Captain Mills, observed the schooner had drifted in shore to within a short distance of the breakwater. He immediately summoned Mr Green of the Landing Service, who quickly called his hands together. A whaleboat was then manned, and in charge of the Harbour Master put off to the schooner. On boarding the vessel she was found to be at anchor, and the men on board (Captain Osborne was on shore at the time, but went off in the whaleboat) told Captain Mills that the cable had parted at the schooner's previous berth. There was but little sea on at the time, and why the second anchor was not immediately dropped at the parting, of the first cable is a mystery. The whale boat crew then proceeded to kedge the vessel out to the usual anchorage ground, and after some hours labor she was again safely berthed, riding with a coir hawser and also a small kedge anchor. On Monday the weather was thick, and a nasty sea came tumbling in. At about one o'clock, the signal of distress — the union jack down — was hoisted from the schooner, and the Harbour Master took out the lifeboat to see what was the matter. On arriving within hailing distance he found that the crew desired to abandon the vessel, and preparations were then made to take off the men. Owing to the heavy sea running some difficulty was experienced in getting alongside the schooner, and it was fully twenty minutes before Captain Osborne and his three men were on board the lifeboat, which immediately put off for shore, and arrived safely. Towards evening the sea moderated, and just at dusk a crew consisting of A. White (steersman), John Clarkson, Edward Newton, Isaac Wetherton, William Oxby, Llewellin Jones, and Benjamin Clarkson, put off in a whaleboat from the lee side of the breakwater with the hopes, if possible, of saving the vessel and claiming salvage. It was so dark that it was impossible to see from the beach if the men succeeded in getting fairly alongside the schooner, and it was not till the boat was again approaching the shore that it was seen that two men, John Clarkson and Wetherton, had been left on board. From the boat leaving the share till its return only occupied a few minutes, and the men must have been uncommonly smart in boarding the vessel, pitching as she was in a pretty heavy sea. Some anxiety was naturally felt on shore on account of the two men on board, as it was known that the hawser the schooner was riding at could not be depended on in the event of any very heavy strain being put on it; consequently, men were watching on shore all night, as well as the Harbor Master, who also had been up all the previous night, as he was anxious about the vessel, as it was generally known that the Aurora was not very well found m ground tackle. At ten minutes to three o'clock yesterday morning the hawser parted, and the vessel began to drift in steadily towards shore. On approaching the beach, sail was put on to keep her bow on to the land, and about four o'clock she was stranded on the beach bordering the Waimataitai lagoon, and not far distant from Mr Belfield's house. A very heavy sea was running just then, and the vessel was thrown up high and dry on a sandy beach. The Harbour Master and others were speedily on the spot, but little or no assistance was needed by the men on board the schooner, as they could jump from her on shore without hardly wetting their feet. The Aurora was built in Dunedin about five years ago, as a lighter for Port Chalmers harbour, and was owned by Messrs Guthrie and Asher of Dunedin. She was insured in the New Zealand Insurance Company, but for what amount is not known. A survey was held on the vessel yesterday afternoon by Captains Scott and Crawford, the result of which was that the sale of schooner was recommended. It is probable that the New Zealand Insurance Company will not allow a sale, but take the vessel into their own hands and get her afloat again — which seems quite possible to do at a comparatively trifling expense.

Timaru Herald, 30 June 1879, Page 2 
Sunday seems to be anything but a red letter day as far as Timaru is concerned, no less than four different series of shipping disasters having occurred on that day. The sea rose rapidly, and in half an hour nothing but a sheet of foam was to be seen through the night-glasses. At 1.30 a.m. Captain Mills, who had been watching the lights of the vessels carefully, observed that one was drifting towards the Waimataitai Lagoon. He at once prepared to fire the gun in order to call the Socket Brigade together but he found its muzzle was crammed full of stones and dirt, and it took another half hour to clean it out. The vessel, the Akbar, drifted down until she struck the beach, shortly before five' o'clock, about a mile and a half beyond Dashing Bocks. Directly she touched the beach she began to break up, and in a very few minutes was split open from stem to stern. A lifebuoy was given to Mrs Watts, who stuck to the vessel for some time in company with the boatswain, and when last stern she still had hold of it. The cook, the boatswain, and the boy soon disappeared, while the mate (J. Bynham), the passenger (John Wright), and D. Bardley, R. Humphreys, Charles Dahlim and a Frenchman named James Waglett (able seamen), after being washed up and down the beach for some time, got on dry land. Bradley and Waglett were terribly bruised by floating timbers. The six men who had succeeded in getting ashore, crouched on the shingle, and braved the wild and bitterly cold elements as best they could until day broke, when they made for Mr Belfield's house. There they were most hospitably received, well fed, and supplied with dry clothes, two of them being without a rag or garment on them when they landed. During the whole of the forenoon they were most hospitably entertained by Mr and Mrs Belfield, who spared no pains to make the unfortunate castaways as comfortable as possible.

Belfield Woollcombe and Herbert Belfield were cousins - they worked together on many committees and both were very involved in the public affairs.

Inwards Correspondence to the Provincial Secretary
Union Bank of Australia (Christchurch) to Provincial Secretary - Mr H. Belfield acting Sub-Treasurer, Timaru - 26/08/1861
B. Woollcombe (Timaru) to Provincial Secretary - recommends H. Belfield as acting Sub-Treasurer at Timaru - 26/08/1861
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - requests his run placed under cattle trespass ordinance at Timaru - 4/03/1863 [In 1864 H. Belfield was an inspector under the Diseased Cattle Act, 1861]
H. Belfield to Provincial Secretary - on behalf of the Timaru School Committee requests a new school site reserve - 14/12/1863
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - accepts seat on local committee of New Zealand Exhibition - 16/02/1864
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - requesting authority to erect the school at Timaru - 16/03/1864
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - declines as Coroner at Timaru - 15/04/1864
Woollcombe, Belfield, MacDonald, G.H. Hall (Magistrates, Timaru) to Provincial Secretary - request Timaru be a town district - 27/06/1864
Belfield (Timaru) to Provincial Secretary - account of Doctor McLean for assisting Doctor Butler at Timaru Hospital - 24/12/1864
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - Doctor Mclean as medico at Timaru - 8/02/1865
H. Belfield to Provincial Secretary - voucher for Doctor McLean late of Timaru Hospital - 19/05/1865
H. Belfield to Provincial Secretary - Full report on Timaru Hospital. 22/05/1865
H. Belfield to Provincial Secretary - Illicit Crossing of Cattle Otago to Canterbury. 14/08/1865
Belfield, Timaru Herald to Provincial Secretary - request copies of Ordinances, Proceedings and Blue Book. 1866
H. Belfield, Timaru Herald to Provincial Secretary - copy of Timaru Herald for Paris Exhibition. 1866
H. Belfield to Secretary Public Works Department - resigns commission Roads Ordinance, ratepayers roll Timaru revised - 26/02/1866
Belfield (Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association) to Provincial Secretary - request grant - 15/02/1867
B. Woollcombe (Resident Magistrate Timaru) - H. Belfield elected for Timaru. 22/05/1867
Belfield and Luxmoore, Hall Road Board Commissioners to Provincial Secretary - resignations, 1867

Belfield to Provincial Secretary - distress case Mrs. Robson of Timaru - 26/05/1868
H. Belfield to Provincial Secretary - resignation of Timaru seat Provincial Council. - 12/09/1868
H. Belfield to Superintendent - resigns Timaru seat in Provincial Council - 22/09/1868
Belfield and others to Superintendent - appointment of acclimatisation societies rangers. 11/12/1868
H. Belfield, Timaru Herald to Provincial Secretary - all back numbers of
Herald lost by fire - 16/01/1869
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - voucher £3 to Reilly of Timaru - 8/06/1869
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - forms required for Timaru Hospital - 30/06/1870
Belfield, Timaru Herald to Provincial Secretary - advertisement of town land sales. 27/03/1871
Belfield Timaru District School to Provincial Secretary - requests grant for borough schools. 3/8/71
Belfield, Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association to Provincial Secretary - request voucher passes - 16/10/1871
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - estimates Timaru Hospital - 11/12/1871
Belfield to Provincial Secretary - forwards copies "Timaru Herald." 1872
Belfield, Timaru School Committee to Provincial Secretary - election of committee. 1872
Belfield, Timaru Herald to Provincial Secretary - advertising account - 27/08/1873
H. Belfield, Timaru Hospital Commission to Provincial Secretary - resolutions etc. 1876

Timaru Herald, 10 May 1871, Page 7 His Excellency the Governor's visit to Timaru.
His Excellency Sir George Bowen the Governor, visit to Timaru.  Inspection of Public Buildings. At about one o'clock His Excellency, accompanied by His- Honor Judge Ward, His Worship the Mayor, and Captain Pitt, drove up to the Hospital, where they were received by Dr Fisher, Provincial Surgeon, and Mr Belfield, one of the commissioners. His Excellency inspected the various wards, kitchen, &.c, and expressed himself highly pleased with the good order evidently prevailing, and the scrupulous cleanliness visible in every part of the building. We may mention that the Governor's visit was entirely unexpected, being only known a few minutes before his carriage, drove up. His Excellency then drove to the Mechanics' Institute, and inspected the several departments in that building, after which he returned to the Royal Hotel. THE LUNCHEON. A cold collation had been prepared in the Royal Hotel Assembly Room, which was most tastefully decorated with evergreens and flags, and a little after two o'clock the guests sat down. The tables were placed in three rows, lengthwise of the room, another being placed on a dais at the upper end. This table was occupied by His Worship the Mayor, who on his right hand had His Excellency the Governor, and Mr Belfield Woollcombe, R.M. on his left, His Honor Judge Ward, Captain Green and Captain Pitt.

Timaru Herald, 1 January 1872, Page 2 Magistrate's Court, Timaru
On Saturday, before H. Belfield, Esq., J.P., John Hewood was brought up charged with the larceny of-£5 12s 6d, the property of William Hoar, at Temuka. For the production of witnesses, the case was remanded eight days.

Timaru Herald, 5 March 1873, Page 2
TO DRAYMEN. TENDERS WANTED for DRAYING - 100 loads SEA SAND to the South Cemetery. Tenders to be sent to the undersigned on or before Saturday next, at 12 o'clock. The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted. H. BELFIELD, Chairman

Timaru Herald, 13 January 1876, Page 3 Levels Road Board
The first meeting of new Board was held at the Road Board office yesterday. Present— Messrs. Acton, Belfield, Macintosh, Clelland, and Kelland. Mr Mr Acton proposed and Mr. Macintosh seconded "That Mr Belfield be chairman o£ the Board-" Mr Belfield said he thought that one of the old members of the Board should take that office." Mr Acton, for instance, having been, some time on the Board and fully acquainted with all the details of the business transacted, should have been asked before one only just elected a member.  Mr Acton said he hoped that Mr Belfield would not refuse the chairmanship as chairman he would be of considerable use to the Board. Mr Belfield then took his seat.

Timaru Herald, 23 September 1876, Page 6 Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
A Committee meeting of the above association was held at the Criterion Hotel at noon on Saturday, 16th September. Present: — Messrs Luxmoore (chairman), Acton, Barker, Belfield, Ensor, Ford, Hall, Macintosh, McLean, McKerrow, Lindsborough, Russell, A. Turnbull, and Woollcombe.

Timaru Herald, 1 November 1876, Page 3
The town yesterday presented an unusually busy appearance in consequence of the number of visitors who had arrived and were arriving, and owing to the carrying out of the arrangements of the Show. The arrangements appear to be of a very complete character, and if the weather be fine, it will be odd if the show is not the most successful that has been held here. No persons, except those in charge of stock, will be admitted into the show ground before noon. The admission from that time till 1 o'clock will be half-a-crown; after that, hour, one shilling. The entrance gate for the public is m Elizabeth-street. The show dinner will be held at Lynwood Hotel in the evening, commencing at 7 o'clock. The cups and plate will be presented at the dinner. The following are the judges and class stewards: Judges — Merino — H. J. Mathias, R. L, Higgins, W. Gardner. Leicester — John McBeath, F. D. Rich, James Hay. Lincoln, Cotswold, Romney Marsh, and other long wool— H. F. Gray, A. P. O'Callaghan, John Sutton. Cattle — John Fergusson, James Hay, W. J. G. Bluett. Draught Horses — James Stack, W. Boag, John Maclean. Other Horses — Robert Wilkin, A. W. Money, J. L. Brown. Pigs— J. McLeish, E. J. Gould. Poultry — A. Perry, B. Woollcombe, J. A. Gamack.— Implements — A. F. Anderson, W. J. Hardie, J. H. Taylor. Dairy Produce — Charles Green, B. Woollcombe, H. Belfield. Agricultural Produce — W. Evans, H. Green, A. A. McKellar. Extra Exhibits— D. McLean, E. Elworthy. Class Stewards: Merino — G. J. Dennistoun, Melville, J. Gray. Leicester — S. A. Bristol. Lincoln — G. F. Lovegrove Romney Marsh — J. Landsborough. Cattle — T. C McKerrow, E. G. Stericker. Draught Horses — L. McPherson, R. Orton. Other Horses— L. Maclean, W. S. Raine. Pigs and Poultry — M. B. Howell. Implements — J. Kelland. Dairy and Agricultural Produce — J. Macintosh.

Timaru Herald, 18 October 1876, Page 6
St. Mary's Church. — A meeting of the Vestry of the above church was held on the 4th October. Present— The Ven. Archdeacon Harper ((Chairman), Messrs Belfield and Tate (Churchwardens), and Messrs C. Perry, Grierson, White, Rawson, and Lough. The question of building a parsonage house was brought up. Resolved—" That the Bishop be requested to vest the parsonage site in the bands of the trustees of the glebe land." Resolved — " That a Committee, consisting of Messrs Belfield, Tate and Woollcombe be appointed to consider the advisability of taking immediate steps to build a parsonage, and to report at the next vestry meeting." [Mr Belfield was still a church warden in 1881] [Capt. Belfield Woollcombe R.N. and Herbert Belfield where churchwardens of St Mary's as early as 1861] [In 1905 Herbert Belfield donated the beautiful stained glass window, "He is not here", to St. Mary's, the right lower panel is inscribed The gift of H. Belfield. The window was made on 31st July 1905 by Burlison & Grylls, London.]

Timaru Herald, 26 December 1879, Page 2
Magistrate's Court, Timaru — At the above Court last Wednesday, before B. Woollcombe and H Belfield, Esq., J.P.s, Peter Carlson was sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment with hard labor for ship desertion.

Timaru Herald, 2 February 1880, Page 2 WAIMATAITAI DAIRY.
NOTICE. I have to request all persons owing money to the above up to 31st December last, to pay the same to my Collector, Mr WILLWAY. HERBERT BELFIELD.

Timaru Herald, 18 May 1882, Page 5
The annual meeting of the parishioners of St. Mary's Church, Timaru. The Venerable Archdeacon Harper presided and opened the meeting with prayer. Chairman apologised for the absence of Mr Belfield, Minister's Churchwarden, on the ground of indisposition. There have been 16 marriages and 43 burials. Meetings for the study of the Bible and prayer have also been held regularly on Thursday evenings at the Parsonage, and on alternate Friday afternoons at Mr Woollcombe's house, in Waimataitai Valley. " There are three Sunday schools in the pariah, of which I may safely say that the results are satisfactory. The discipline and order are good, and much care and zeal his been shown by the teachers in their work. The total number of scholars on the roll amounts to 446, viz , 178 in the upper school, held in the School Church, being 70 boys and 99 girls ; 227 in the lower school, held in the Old Church, being 87 boys and 140 girls, and 41 in the school held by the Misses Woollcombe, in Waimataitai Valley, being 21 boys and 20 girls. There are in all 36 teachers. Total average attendance at 3 p.m., 329.

Timaru Herald, 29 November 1882, Page 1
Trespass Notices TO TRESPASSERS. If, after the publication of this notice, Person, are found TRESPASSING on the grounds of the Undersigned, especially on SUNDAYS for TRAINING purposes, the law will be put into force against them. BELFIELD WOOLLCOMBE, by his Attorney, HERBERT BELFIELD. Ashbury, near Timaru, November 25th, 1882. 

Herbert Belfield represented Timaru on the Canterbury Provincial Council 1867-1874. 

The Railway Line and roads

Timaru Herald, April 9 1873
With the exception of the removal of a few hundred yards of earth the section of railway line lying between the town and Whale's creek may be said (formation only) to be completed, and also, the second section between that creek and the Waimataitai Lagoon. The cutting on Mr Belfield's property — the heaviest in the line — is being taken down as rapidly as possible.

Timaru Herald, 16 August 1880, Page 2

The Timaru Herald Mr Edward Wakefield was the editor.

Timaru Herald, 11 January 1893, Page 3 Levels Road Board
The overseer reported that the contracts for forming footpath at Waimataitai and shingling part of Adair and Otipua road were now finished. In the latter 50 cubic yards extra were being taken out to do necessary repairs. Among works necessary he proposed to repair the Main North Road to Belfield's hill with screened shingle, and as the necessity arose.

Timaru Herald, 1 December 1897, Page 3
To the Editor of the Timaru Herald. Sir,— I saw by the papers the other day that the Levels County Council held their annual meeting with plenty of backscratching. The chairman scratched the staff, and the members scratched the chairman. Now does the chairman do his duty to the riding. Decidedly not. The Levels estate is not the only property m the Waimataitai riding arid if the chairman does not want money spent on roads through the Levels, surely he ought to see that roads are properly formed and maintained where required in other parts of the riding he I represents. The road from Bargefrede's store to the foot of the freezing works hill is a simple disgrace to any Council, and the road running from the old Washdyke near Mr Grant's property to Belfield's Hill, although very considerably used, has never been even formed. The ratepayers should see that they are represented in the Council, and not over large estates. I am, etc., Waimataitai. [William Grant lived at Elloughton Grange in Pages Road, and his land extended down to the Washdyke Flat]

Timaru Herald, 25 January 1895, Page 2
By a fire at the Waimataitai Valley, about 5 a.m. yesterday morning, the workshop, small store and washhouses, the property of Mr Bargefrede, storekeeper were destroyed. The fire was first noticed by Mr W. Hobbs, a neighbour, who woke up Mr Bargefrede, and with the assistance of one or two other neighbours, they prevented the fire spreading to the dwelling-house nearby. In addition to the outbuildings, the fire destroyed a lot of valuable tools, spare stores, etc., so that the loss is on the whole a very serious one for Mr Bargefrede. There was no insurance, and it. is not known how the fire started.

Hobbs Street is just past Newman's Hill on the flat.

Timaru Herald, 3 May 1900, Page 4
This road is in bad order from Bargefrede's corner to the foot of Belfield hill. To stand the heavy traffic 20 yards of metal per chain is needed, total 700 yards. It was decided to call tenders for broken metal, delivered, for the main road over Belfield's hill to foot of next hill. [Mr Bargefrede referred to in those Timaru Herald snippets lived at the bottom of Newman Street hill in a cob house.] 

If heading out of town, Belfield Street is on the right about 50 metres north of the old All Saints Church backing onto Ashbury Park.

Devon, England - the Woollcombe - Belfield connection. Their common ancestor was Sir Thomas Louis and Lady Louis.

Samuel Belfield was Vicar of the Paignton Parish Church for 60 years (1732-92). Sam's daughter, Jacquetta Belfield, of Paignton, was married in this church in early 1784 to Admiral Sir Thomas Louis, and the couple had seven children. Admiral Sir Thomas Louis saved Nelson's life at the Battle of the Nile and was later the only Englishman to be Governor of Rome. Herbert must have been a grandson of Sir Thomas Louis. Henry Woollcombe b. 1784 [?b. 1781], 2nd s/o Rector of Ashbury, Highampton d. 16 Aug. 1861, married Jane Frances Louis 18 April 1812. She was the d/o Rear Admiral Sir Thomas Louis, Bart. Jane died 14 April 1819. Their son, Belfield Woollcombe, b. 1st January 1816 [?24 March], in Pellerton (North Tawton), on the borders of Devon and Cornwall, later Lieut. Belfield Woollcombe, RN, was raised by Lady Louis, his grandmother. Sir Thomas Louis, Admiral R.N. b 1758, Exeter, d. 1807, Alexandria, Egypt in H.M.S. Canopus, bd. Malta. Losing his father when Belfield Woollcombe, (1816-1891), was but two or three years old, the future naval officer and colonist was brought up by his grandmother Lady Louis, until he was thirteen, at which age he entered the Royal Navy, 26th Nov. 1829, as a midshipman on board the H.M.S. Thunderer and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant 8th June 1841. Jacquetta Louis, Jane's sister, married John Morth Woollcombe, brother of the Rev. Henry Woollcombe. Belfield Woollcombe died at age 75, in Timaru in 1891, but does not have a headstone.

From 1825 to 1849 the early elegant three storey Queen Anne style early 18th cent. Belfield House, Parsons Green, Fulham London
was the residence of Thomas D. Belfield, father of Herbert. The house still stands now part of a school.

In 1554 John Belfield removed from Lancashire to Paignton, Co. Devon and settled at Primley Hill. He had a son John b. 1669 m. Jacquette Finney. They had son Samuel b. 1708 who had issue. Thomas Daniel Belfield was born about 1796 at Churston Ferrers, Devon, England. In 1841 Thomas Daniel BELFIELD, 40, merchant was living in town, at Belfield House, Parsons Green, London. The house had been purchased by his Uncle Squire Daniel in 1820. Thomas Belfield with Thomas Daniel virtually controlled the entire sugar industry in Barbados.  In 1841 in town with him was Fanny Belfield, probably a sister age 58 plus a couple of visitors and a number of servants. His wife died in 1840, which fits with the boys being with the family in Paignton, Devon with their grandparents. Herbert was born in 1834 at Parson's Green, a hamlet in the parish of Fulham, county Middlesex, six miles S.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the bridge over the Thames, so now this is London. In 1841 Herbert, age seven, in Blagdon in the parish of Paignton, south Devonshire living with his Aunt and Uncle, Ellen Susan (age 25) and John Finney Belfield (age 25) and grandparents, Eleanor (age 80) and [Rev.] Finney Belfield (age 82), Anna Maria Belfield (age 45) and brother, Algernon, (age 2years 6 mths). The old Belfield family resided here at Primley House, built c. 1820, Totnes Road, Torquay. His brother Algernon Henry Belfield, age 12, was away at school in 1851, Pencarwick School and  Rugby and  Herbert at aged 17 was still in school at Parsons Green.

Herbert's father, Thomas Daniel Belfield, died 4 Aug 1867 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, came from Blagdon in the Parish of Paignton, Devon, executor was John Finney Belfield. Note: John Finney Belfield died 1896, Kensington and left 6507 pds to Arthur Belfield.

Herbert is the son of Thomas Daniel Belfield and Elizabeth Ann Eversley was born in Barbados on 12 June 1804. They were married in 1821 and had several children:
Elizabeth Ann born 1822 St Dunstan
Allan born 1829 Fulham
Herbert born 1834 Fulham
David Hanson born 1835 Fulham
Elizabeth born 1836 Fulham
Algernon Henry born 1838 Fulham emigrated to NSW married Emma Jane Husband

In 1852 Herbert Belfield was an Ensign in the "2nd (The Queens Royal) Regiment of Foot". In 1857 he was promoted to Lieutenant.
Reference: A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines By Great Britain. War Office, 1852  

Did he have a visitor?

Timaru Herald, 29 February 1868, Page 2
Sailed. Feb. 12 - Comerang, p.s., 152 tons, Mailler, for Dunedin, via Oamaru. Passengers- Messrs Luxton, Vulbum, Wallace, and T. Belfield.

Herbert died at Dawlish, Devon

The death occurred at Dawlish, Devon, on 10 July, 1917 of Mr Herbert BELFIELD, one of the pioneers and for many years a leading citizen of Timaru. In 1864 the Timaru Herald was founded by Messrs A G Horton and F Younghusband and two years after its commencement Mr Belfield became joint proprietor with Mr Alfred George Horton and the Herald became a bi-weekly. In 1871 Mr Belfield became sole proprietor. He was also editor until the arrival of Mr Edward Wakefield in 1874. In the 1870s the Timaru Herald developed into a significant newspaper with a national reputation. This was largely due to the editor Edward Wakefield. During the 1880s the Timaru Herald ran into financial difficulties. The Timaru Herald Company was formed to take over ownership with Herbert Belfield retained as the manager of the newspaper. Mr Belfield went Home to England in 1882 after the paper had been sold to a company and did not return again to NZ. In 1886 the paper was leased by its mortgagees to Joseph Ivess, an indefatigable founder and owner of newspapers in New Zealand in the 19th century. In 1887 the paper was sold to Edward George Kerr.

1887-8 - Belfield, Herbert, Tower House, Strand, Bideford, North Devon   

Evening Post, 12 September 1917, Page 8
Mr. Herbert. Belfield, at one time proprietor and editor of the Timaru Herald, died recently at Dawlish, Devon, at the age of 83.

The Times Thursday, Jul 12, 1917
Belfield - On the 10th July, at 17, Barton-crescent, Dawlish, Herbert Belfield, late of the "Queen's," formerly of Timaru New Zealand, aged 83. 

Photo taken 31 July 2011 by MT.
 Waimataitai Street, the street which is opposite Hilltop Dairy.

Why did Herbert Belfield suddenly sell out in Timaru in the later half of 1882?
Did he receive a letter from home?

We do not have any idea why Herbert Belfield went back to England in 1883 but during the 1880s the Timaru Herald ran into financial difficulties. The Timaru Herald Company was formed to take over ownership with Herbert Belfield retained as the manager of the newspaper. In 1886 the paper was leased by its mortgagees to Joseph Ivess, an indefatigable founder and owner of newspapers in New Zealand in the 19th century. Mr Belfield went Home to England in 1883 and did not return again to New Zealand. His Waimataitai Estate was still being advertised for sale for the next decade. Maybe the asking price was too high. In the 1891 census he was living in Dorking, Devon, the life of landed gentry as a Retired Army Officer living on own means. He died in 1917 at the age of 83. Also this was about the time that the Smithfield Freezing Works was being built. Maybe that had something to do with going back to Devon.  He probably stayed in touch with his cousin Belfield Woollcombe as he ended up marrying his daughter in 1904.

Timaru Herald 13 October 1881  Timaru Herald 29 March 1880

Timaru Herald
29 Nov. 1882
Timaru Herald 29 Nov. 1882 


Timaru Herald 17 Jan. 1885
Timaru Herald 17 Jan. 1885 

Timaru Herald 11 April 1890 

Timaru Herald, 22 October 1898, Page 1
TO LET — Belfield house. This commodious Two-Storied brick House, of Twelve Rooms, will be put into good repair for a suitable Tenant. Good Stables, and Five Acre Paddock and garden, go with the House. Apply, - SMITHSON & RAYMOND.

Timaru Herald
, 28 November 1898, Page 1
Tenders. TO PAINTERS. HTVENDERS will be received up till 4 o'clock WEDNESDAY, 30th, for Painting and Papering Belfield House. Specification at my office. JAS. S. TURNBULL, Architect.

Timaru Herald, 10 December 1898, Page 1
Tenders will be received for a Lease of the Belfield House Property (now undergoing repairs).

Timaru Herald
, 29 January 1883, Page 1
To let, or for sale — The HOUSE in Bank street, lately occupied by Mr Belfield. W. McGILL, Arthur street.

Timaru Herald, 27 January 1883, Page 2
Departure of Mr and Mrs Belfield
Mr Herbert Belfield, one of our oldest residents, yesterday left Timaru for England. Previous to his departure a number of his friends assembled m the Education Office, where so much of his time has been usefully spent of late years, to wish him farewell and God Speed. Mr Angus Macdonald, of Geraldine, occupied the chair. Mr R. A. Chisholm, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand, on behalf of Mr Belfield's many friends presented him with a silver claret jug as a token of their respect, and a memento of the intimate relations that had existed between them during many years. Mr Chisholm, in the course of his remarks, mentioned that he had known Mr Belfield twenty-two years, and during the whole of that time he had been learning to think more and more highly of him, both in his public capacities and as a private citizen. He also referred with some feeling to the "old times," when Mr Belfield was a new-comer and all the young men in the place met with a friendly welcome at his bachelor quarters. The Rev. G. Barclay spoke feelingly of Mr Belfield as a useful citizen, a patriotic colonist, and a courteous and honorable gentleman, and mentioned a number of useful institutions in the origination of which he had taken a prominent part. Among these were the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which Mr Belfield for many years was Secretary, and the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, now almost forgotten, but which in its day did much good work in opposing the rivalry of the northern half of the province. He had also most usefully filled positions on Boards and Committees of all kinds, on the Hospital Commission and in the Magisterial Bench. Last, but not least, he had from the first devoted much time and labor to furthering the cause of education in the town and neighborhood ; whilst as Chairman of the Board of Education during the last five years he had played a still more useful and important part in connection with that cause. He was certain that Mr Belfield, in leaving the colony, carried with him the best wishes and most cordial feelings of all who knew lim. The Ven. Archdeacon Harper also made a few feeling remarks, in which he enforced especially to the assistance he had  received from Mr Belfield in carrying on the work of the Church in Timaru. The health of Mr Belfield was then drunk, amid most cordial expressions of good feeling and wishes for his future welfare, and the meeting separated after hearty farewells on both sides. Mr and Mrs Belfield left by the Express for Christchurch, and go thence to Australia, where they intend to spend some time on their way to England. A large number of Mr and Mrs Belfield's friends assembled on the railway platform to wish them " God Speed."

Timaru Herald, 25 April 1888, Page 3
St. Mary's Parish Meeting. The annual meeting of parishioners was held m the schoolroom, Bank Street, last evening. There were 18 parishioners present. The Ven. Archdeacon Harper presided, and opened the meeting with prayer. ... I wish also to mention that our old friends Mr and Mrs Herbert Belfield, who during their residence in Timaru did much for the interest of the parish, have sent me a very handsome gift for the use of the church, consisting of an elaborately worked covering for the altar, for use on festal days, together with a similar hanging for the pulpit desk, some offertory bags, and altar linen, for special use, all of it being Mrs Belfield's own handiwork, and of first-rate excellence. As the gift arrived too late for Easter, it will come in for use at Whitsuntide. [In 1905 Herbert Belfield donated a beautiful stained glass window to St. Mary's]

Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver, the other gold.

Timaru Herald, December 1883, Page 4
MISS FORBES is now CONDUCTING her SCHOOL for YOUNG LADIES in the House lately occupied by H. Belfield, Esq. English in all its branches, with Literature — Miss Forbes. French — Miss A. Forbes, resident three years in France. Latin and Mathematics— Visiting Master. Class Singing — T. F. Gooch, Esq., Organist, St. Mary's. Piano — Miss A. Forbes and Masters. Drawing (Free-hand, Chalk, Water Colors) — Visiting Master and Miss FOEBES. Dancing and Deportment — Mrs Ostler. A Class for beginners is being formed. Day and Weekly Boarders. Young Ladies may attend for one or more special subjects. Prospectus and Testimonials on application.

Timaru Herald, 13 October 1881, Page 3
The WAIMATAITAI ESTATE - Magnificent building sites - 75 freehold allotments
 Moss Jonas has been favoured with instructions from Herbert Belfield, Esq., to sell by Public Auction on October 31st 1881 75 freehold building allotments about 1.5 miles north of Timaru on the Main North Road. ~ The property now offered consists of about 65 acres, having a long frontage to the Main North road, which forms the western boundary. The Taitarakihi Creek forms the northern and the Waimataitai Creek and lagoon the southern boundaries respectively. The terrace that forms part of the boundary of the sections sloping to the south is covered with a luxuriant growth of native plants, and is partly planted with forest trees. The sections, having an easterly aspect, border on that rooky cliff known as The Dashing Rocks. The northern sections have a frontage to the main road, and run back to the creek, and contain from half to three-quarters of an acre each. The section fronting on Eversley road and Eversley terrace, which run from the north side of Mr Belfield's garden across the railway at the level crossing in an easterly direction to the cliff contain from one and three-quarters to nearly four acres. each, and the sections run right back, to the creek. The section on which the farmhouse, dairy and orchard stand contains, a littlie over, three acres, and the section that has a frontage to The Dashing Rocks contains nearly four acres. The sections at the rear of his Honor Judge Ward's residence, and which front on Eversley terrace and run down to the lagoon, contain on an average about two and a-half acres each, and three of the sections are planted with forest trees. The southern sections, which lie to the west of the railway line contain on an average rather of one-quarter of an acre each, and, besides having frontages to the main road, they are traveled by Belfield road and Creek road. Belfield road runs- from the angle of the Main road, across the railway line at the level crossing, along the southern, and eastern boundaries of Judge Ward's shrubbery and plantation to Eversley road. Creek road runs from the private road which crosses the railway at the high level crossing to the the Waimataitai Creek.

Amongst the sections, offered will be the one on which stands the brick house, &c., lately occupied by Mr Belfield. This property comprises about six acres of land, and is tastefully laid out in garden and shrub berries. The house is of two stories, and thoroughly well fitted in every respect. There is also good stabling, hay loft, groom's room, rat-proof granary, gardener's room, &c. Plans to be seen at Ross, Sims and Co., Woolloombe and Clulee, J.T. Ford and Co., Timaru Herald office and at my office. Sale at 2 o'clock. Moss Jonas, Auctioneer. 

Timaru Herald, 20 February 1886, Page 1 SUBURBAN LAND FOR SALE.
The Whole of the WATMATATTAI ESTATE (the property of Herbert Belfield, Esq.) is offered for SALE Privately, in Lots varying from 1 Quarter-acre to 4 Acres. PRICES VERY LOW, AND TEEMS EXCEPTIONALLY EASY. Apply to MILES J. KNUBLEY, Solicitor, Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 18 October 1879, Page 2
Timaru Boating Club. The opening of the boating season will be commemorated by the Timaru Club today, at the Washdyke, by a series of single sculling matches. The course will be a half mile-one, and the same as last year, i.e., at the southern end of the Lagoon, and in the vicinity of the sea-beach. The scene of operations may be reached by spectators either on foot or in vehicles in turning off the main road below Mr Belfield's house, passing over the railway line, and crossing the flat in front of the Waimataitai Dairy. An express to convoy members of the Club out will leave the Bank of New Zealand corner at 2 p.m. sharp, and it is requested that as many of them as possible will be at the boat-shed by 2:30 pm. so that there may be no lack of crews to man the boats in the procession to the opposite side, of the Lagoon. About a dozen entries have already been received for to-day's races.

Timaru Herald, 5 June 1878, Page 4
As Mr and Mrs Belfield were being driven along the Main North road in a Hansom cab on Monday afternoon the horse fell while passing Whale's Creek. It got up, however, without any harm being done, but had not gone many paces before it came down again, breaking the shafts, throwing a lot of heavy luggage off the top of the cab clean over its head, and causing other damage. Mr Belfield immediately jumped out and sat on the horse's head, keeping the animal down until Mrs Belfield got clear of the cab, neither of them being any the worse for the accident. 

Whales Creek (Maori name - Pohatukoko) was a stream that would have been through part of Kiwi Drive, through the gully in West End Park down Onslow Street and through the rest of the gully and ending up in Nelson Terrace and then onto the sea. So the accident would have happened at the bottom of the Bay Hill near Hewling Street. If you draw a line from Kiwi Drive to Nelson Terrace it would give you an idea of where the creek was located, remembering that there were streams coming down nearly every gully in Timaru. The Whales Creek storm water pipeline that lies between Sealy St and West End Park, part of the Waimataitai and Nile St. catchments was replaced recently. 

Timaru Herald 20 March 1901
For Sale as a going concern -The Boarding-house Business carried on by Mrs Dowling, Belfield House, Waimataitai, Timaru. For particulars apply to Smithson & Raymond, Solicitors, Timaru

Samuel George Raymond, b. Maryborough, Victoria, 1862. Educated at Grenville College, Ballarai, and came to Timaru in 1879; eldest son of eldest son of Francis Bateman Raymond, Esq., was admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1883, and two years later he became a partner in his firm, Smithson And Raymond. Mr. Raymond is a supporter of all local sports especially cricket. He was married, in 1896, to Frances Selina, second daughter of the Rev. J.K. Barklie, and has one daughter. He was appointed a K.C in 1913 and was Crown Prosecutor at Christchurch from 1914 to 1920. He retired in the latter year. He was one of New Zealand's representatives at the conference, on the operation of Dominion legislation and merchant shipping legislation in 1929. The Cyclopedia of New Zealand 1903, 4 January 1940 Cairns Post, QLD

Timaru Herald, 9 May 1888, Page 3
Levels Road Board - overseer's Report
I have had some systematic repairs done to Main North Road during the month, as far as broken metal was available. The 450 yards of stone now tendered for, when broken and spread on Belfield and Woollcombe's hills, will put that portion of the road from the borough boundary to the end of the downs in a state of good repair for some considerable time.  


Captain Belfield Woollcombe was appointed the Timaru settlement’s first official in 1857.

The Southern provinces almanac, directory, diary and year-book. 1865 Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
Timaru - B Woollcombe, R.M., Deputy, Herbert Belfield
Geraldine L.L. Browne.

Lyttelton Times, 6 July 1861, Page 9 Marriage
WOOLLCOMBE - FENDALL - Jan. 1, at the Heathcote Valley Church by the Rev. Croasdaile Bowen, Belfield Woollcombe, Lieut. R.N., and R.M., Timaru, to Francis Anne, second daughter of the Henry Fendall.

Lyttelton Times, 17 August 1861, Page 4
The following appointments having reference to Canterbury appear in the 'General Government Gazettes,' Nos. 35,36 & 37 :—
H. G. Gouland, Esq. to be principal Returning Officer
T. W. Hall Esq. Returning Officer for Timaru
Herbert Belfield Esq. to be Deputy Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, for the Timaru district.

Timaru Herald March 1866 Marriage
On the 21st instant, at St. Mary's, Geraldine, by the Rev. L.L. Brown, Herbert Belfield, Esq., of Timaru, to Margaret Louisa, second daughter of Captain Aeneas Macpherson, of Strathnoon, Orari, and late of H.M. 59th Regiment. 

There isn't any Belfield births listed on the NZ BDM site and Herbert was Deputy Registrar of BDMs for the Timaru district and served 7 yrs 3 months and held that office when his still born son was born.

Timaru Herald, 18 September 1867, Page 2 Birth
On Sunday, September 15, at Waimataitai, near Timaru, the wife of Herbert Belfield, Esq., of a son, still-born.

Timaru Herald, 22 October 1873, Page 3 Death
Belfield— On Saturday, 18th October, at Timaru, Margaret Louisa, wife of Herbert Belfield.

Timaru Herald Marriage
BELFIELD - MELLISH.- On the 8th of July, 1876 at St. Michael's Christchurch, by the Right Reverend the Lord Primate of New Zealand, Herbert Belfield, of Timaru, to Emma Leonora, daughter of the late William Mellish, of Guernsey. [Elizabeth College, Guernsey Register: William John Mellish - b. in Guernsey, June 2, 1829; s/o Wm Mellish and Elizabeth Walter Lilly; vide 735, 1017; left 1848. Queen's College, Cambridge; B.A. 1852; M.A. 1855; Holy orders, 1852; Rector of Winestead, Hull, 1873; died there 1889.]

Who was Mr Belfield's nephew? 

Timaru Herald, 26 October 1881, Page 2
Dr Hammond deposed that he was a duly qualified medical practitioner, residing in Timaru. He attended at Mr Belfield's home, about a mile from town, in May 1880, for the purpose of administering chloroform to Mr Belfield's nephew. He charged £2 2 for his professional service, and £1 is for mileage. Mr Belfield asked the witness if he knew what the charges of other medical men in Timaru were. Witness replied that he was not aware of the nature of other practitioners' charges.

Marriage - they had the same residential address in 1904

Herbert Belfield, age 70, widower, Retired Army officer, res: 51 Priory Road, Kilburn, Father Thomas Daniel Belfield (deceased), Merchant to
Effie Caroline Fendall Woollcombe, age 37, res: 51 Priory Road, Kilburn, Father Belfield Woollcombe (deceased), Royal Navy officer.

Herbert Belfield of Dorking, married Effie WOOLLCOMBE  b. 11 June 1867 4th daughter of  Belfield Woollcombe, on 23 August 1904 at St Mary's, Kilburn, in the Parish of Hampstead, London and she presented him with a daughter on 3 October 1905. Herbert was b. c. 1834 so he had a child when he was 71. Hope E. Belfield came out from Southampton to New Zealand in 1931 arriving in Auckland. She also came out from London in 1955, then Mrs Hope E. Nolan, to Wellington with her husband James P. Nolan b. 1928 [sic], Henry C. Nolan b. 1893 and Sylvia M. Nolan b. 1898, maybe her in-laws.
Hope Eversley Nolan 3 September 1905 died in New Zealand in 2000.

Evening Post, 16 February 1933, Page 15 London Personals
It is announced that the marriage arranged between James Gould, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Nolan, of Gisborne, and Hope Eversley, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Belfield, of Dawlish, Devon, will take place early in April in New Zealand.

Evening Post, 7 April 1933, Page 11 Wedding
NOLAN—BELFIELD. The marriage was celebrated this morning at St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral by the Rev. Canon Percival James of Hope Eversley Belfield, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Belfield, Devon, England, and James Gould Nolan, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Nolan, Gisborne. The church was decorated for the occasion with bronzed hydrangeas and autumn foliage. The bride, who was escorted by her cousin, Mr. Gerald Bradshaw, wore a beautifully cut frock of ivory lace with slim fitting fines, the long skirt widening at the back to form a train, and the plain bodice having long tight-fitting sleeves. Her plain tulle veil was caught with a circlet of pearl buds, and she carried a sheaf of cream roses and white begonias. Miss Pamela Price (Gisborne), niece of the bridegroom, was bridesmaid, and wore a frock of pale pink georgette made with a cape collar. In her hair she had a twist of blue velvet and pink georgette, and she carried a sheaf of blue delphiniums and pink roses, Mr. Lloyd Wilson was best man and Mr. J. Allison and Lieutenant E. C. Lewis, R.N., were ushers. A small reception, at which only relatives were present, was held at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Bradshaw, Karori. Mrs. Nolan wore a black marocain frock with a vestee of white, a skunk stole and a black hat. She carried a bouquet of flowers. Mrs. Bradshaw was in a long black frock patterned with green and amber leaves, the magyar bodice having a boat-shaped neck and gauntlet cuffs. Her wide, black hat was trimmed with a green velvet ribbon, and she carried a bouquet of flowers in matching tones. The bride travelled in a smart brown bouclet ensemble, the coat with a deep squirrel collar being worn over a matching frock. Her small brown hat was worn with an eye veil.

James (Pat) Gould NOLAN was born in 1899. He died in 1971. He was married to Hope Eversley "Belinda" BELFIELD in 1933 in Wellington, NZ. Hope Eversley "Belinda" BELFIELD was born in 1905 in Dorking, Surrey, UK. [James was a a solicitor in Gisborne, died 1970]. Issue:
i. David Belfield Nolan
ii. Jacquetta Bridget Nolan
iii. Caroline Margaret Nolan
iv. Kerry Gould Louis Nolan
David Belfield Nolan was born in 1934. He was married to Aline Janet Studholme in 1958 in Hinds, Canterbury, NZ.

Evening Post, 26 October 1945, Page 8
Insignia, medals, and decorations earned abroad and in the, Dominion by members of the New Zealand Forces were presented by the Governor- General (Sir Cyril Newall) at a public investiture held in the Town Hall last evening.
Distinguished Flying Medal - Flying Officer James Dudley Cayford Cumming, Timaru;
Efficiency Decoration :Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel James Gould Nolan, Gisborne;

Timaru Cemetery

BELFIELD, Margaret Louisa
Address: situated below section B
Age at Death 34 Years
Date of Interment Tuesday, 21 October 1873
Section General Block B2 Plot 6
Clergy Name: Foster  

The father of the press in Timaru

In July 1866 Herbert Belfield joined A.G. Horton as proprietor of the Timaru Herald.

Timaru Herald, 9 December 1881, Page 2
Mr Herbert Belfield, whom he characterized as the father of the press in Timaru. The toast was drunk with royal honors. Mr Belfield said he had to return his best thanks on behalf of the Press for the manner in which the toast had been responded to, the more so because it was the duty of the local newspapers to record the fact that a vessel like the Ganymede had been brought inside the Breakwater. It had been their dream for years that such an event should take place. The Press would have a pleasing duty in bearing testimony to the local man who, by his own energy, had been able to buy such a vessel as the Ganymede. He (Mr Belfield) had known Timaru for over twenty-two years, and he had never lost faith in it.

Poverty Bay Herald, 8 March 1882, Page 2
On dit that Mr. Herbert Belfield has disposed of his interest in the Timaru Herald to a company, but still retains a large share in the venture. Mr. Wakefield, who will also be a large shareholder in the company, is to occupy the editorial chair, and Mr. J. Hardcastle, late editor of the South Canterbury Times, goes back to his old love, the Herald vice Mr. George Collins, who has left the latter journal. — Ashburton Guardian

Hawke's Bay Herald
, 6 April 1882, Page 3
Wednesday. Mr Herbert Belfield was to-day reelected Chairman of the South Canterbury Board of Education.  

Timaru Herald, 20 April 1882, Page 7
Farewell presentation from the Timaru Herald 

 On Saturday afternoon the employés of the Timaru Herald presented Mr Herbert Belfield, for many years sole proprietor of this journal with an address and piece of plate, as a souvenir of their connection with him. The address, which tells its own story, runs as follows : — "Timaru Herald Office. Herbert Belfield, Esq. — Understanding that the proprietorship of the Timaru Herald has been transferred from yourself to a Company, and that the new arrangement comes into force today, we, the undersigned, members of the various departments of the establishment, deem this opportunity an appropriate one for conveying to you some slight expression o£ our appreciation of your invariably kind and courteous treatment of those in your employ, and of the very cordial relations which have existed between yourself and a the branches of the establishment during the many years over which your proprietorship of the Timaru Herald has extended, and of which the fact that the majority of us have been in your employ for the greater part, and some indeed for the whole of that time, is ample testimony. While we cannot but regret that our individual connection with yourself must necessarily cease from this time, the knowledge that you are to retain an extensive interest in the business, will animate us to increased exertion for the furtherance of the success of the Timaru Herald. As a small token of our good-will towards you, and ns an expression of our heartfelt desire for the future prosperity of Mrs Belfield and yourself, we ask your acceptance of this address, the timepiece and the photograph of ourselves accompanying it." The address was signed by all the employees of the Timaru Herald and the presentation was made by Mr G. W. Gardner, business manager, on behalf of the employees. Mr Belfield, in accepting it, expressed in warm terms his extreme pleasure and surprise at receiving such a proof of the good feeling entertained towards him throughout the office, a feeling which he had no idea ho had done anything to evoke to the extent shown by this presentation. It afforded him the greatest gratification to have such evidence that his relations with his employees had been of a pleasant and satisfactory nature, and lie would value very highly the tokens they now gave him of their good-will. Mr H. J. Turner, foreman of the news-room, proposed the health of " Mr and Mrs Belfield," which was drunk with enthusiasm, and in returning thanks Mr Belfield proposed the health of the " New Timaru Herald Company." Being a large shareholder in this Company he naturally wished to see the paper prosper, and, giving a brief sketch of its puny beginning — when all the work connected with the editorial, printing and publishing departments was carried on in a room about fourteen feet square — expressed the hope that its future would be as progressive a the past, and he also earnestly hoped that the good feeling between employer and employed, which the presentation he had received proved to have existed up to the present, would continue in years to come. Mr D. Haggit, foreman of the jobbing department, responded on behalf of the Company, and in doing so dwelt upon the high esteem in which Mr Belfield was held by his employees, an esteem which increased with length of service. The presentation consisted of an elegant silver clock, aneroid barometer and thermometer, combined on one stand and a photograph. The address was a capital specimen of printing, executed in the office and beautifully illuminated by Mr B. J. Lane, a member of the reporting staff.

Ashbury Park with the athletic - soccer clubhouse to the left  - this was the Waimataitai Lagoon aka Woollcombe's Lagoon seeing it was on Capt. Belfield Woollcombe's land.
His home overlooked the Waimataitai estuary and lagoon and he planted English trees on the southern end of the park.

Timaru Herald, 13 April 1870, Page 2
The last rainfall, which commenced on Friday morning at 3 a.m., wind S.E., and continued until Sunday morning 4 a.m. — 49 hours —has been the heaviest down-pour we have witnessed in Timaru, being much more than at the great flood, as far as Timaru is concerned. The pace of rain was not heavy at any one time, but a continual steady downpour. The quantity which fell during the 40 hours was 2¼ inches and a trifle over, being equal to 277 tons 15 cwt. to the acre. The sea was not running heavy during the time. Woollcombe Gully - here the Waimataitai Creek supplied a large body of water to the small lagoon at its mouth. About midday on Sunday the flow in the creek becoming sluggish showed that the lagoon was filled to the level of the creek. The water then backed up from the lagoon and overflowed the adjacent low lands, but no damage was done.

Timaru Herald, 5 February 1868, Page 2
Woollcombe's Gully. The water here stood fully as high as the last flood in the spring, and of course where it has submerged crops, considerable damage and loss must result. The only damage that has come to our knowledge is the washing away of the culvert on the old line of road, near to Mr F. LeCren's house.

Timaru Herald, 17 June 1868, Page 2
The water at Woollcombe's Gully on Saturday and Sunday was higher than has been known for eleven years, being some feet higher than in the last heavy flood. The lagoon at the mouth of the Waimataitai creek was so surcharged with water running out from the creek that it extended its limits up beyond the main road north of the bridge. It was about two feet deep on the road at that point, and from the road to the debouchment of the creek into the lagoon, the water covered a large area of ground ; to the south inundating a very considerable portion of Mr Woollcombe's paddocks, and to the north, covering the ground very nearly up to the cottages built along the main north road, thereby converting the whole of the low land into a large lake. Fortunately but little damage was done as the ground at this time of the year is lying fallow, otherwise if cropped very serious loss to property would have ensued. On Sunday, a gang of men set to work to dig a trench through the shingle bank to allow a passage for the water into the sea. About nine o'clock on Sunday night the lagoon made a way for itself through the opening, for by daylight the valley was entirely clear of water and the lagoon itself nearly dry.


Press, 3 September 1917, Page 11
Word has been received of the death at Dawlish Devon, on July 10th, of Mr Herbert Belfield, one of the pioneers, and for many years a leading citizen of Timaru, who was also one of the first proprietors and editors of the "Timaru Herald." Born 83 years ago, Mr Belfield was a second cousin of the late Captain Woollcombe, who settled at Timaru in 1857. Until Captain Woollcombe's marriage in 1861, Mr Befield lived with him in the house which he built at Waimataitai, afterwards building for himself the residence which now forms part of Grasmere. Later he built and lived in the stone cottage near the Abattoirs, which Judge Ward afterwards occupied. Later still he built the two storey brick house which overlooks the Show Grounds. In 1864 the "Timaru Herald" was founded by Messrs A. G. Horton and F. Younghusband, and two years after its commencement, after other changes had taken place in its control, Mr Belfield became joint proprietor with Mr Horton. In 1871 be became sole proprietor, and was also editor until the arrival of Mr Edward Wakefield in 1874. Mr Belfield went Home to England in 1882, after the paper had been sold to a company, and did not return again to New Zealand. Mr Belfield married the fourth daughter of the late Captain Woollcombe, who survives him in England, with one daughter. His name is commemorated by Belfield Hill.

Taken near the Belfield house, Nov. 2012. Looking down Richmond St, Ashbury Park in the background.

Marchwiel is the suburb to the north.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project