The first house at Beverley, a small cottage, was built by H.L. Le Cren in 1857. Beverley was built by Henry Le Cren in the 1860s and purchased by Mr and Mrs Arthur Perry in 1873. Perry was a solicitor practising in Timaru who was keenly interested in gardening. Soon after Arthur Perry died in 1898 the Beverley homestead was sold to the Turnbull Bros. and the land subdivided. Arthur had married Elizabeth nee Wood, 12 February 1867, the widow of George Rhodes, a member of the pioneer Rhodes family of South Canterbury. Elizabeth (Rhodes) was the 1st white women to come across the Canterbury plains on horse back and the 2nd white women in the district. George and Elizabeth's first house was near where our harbour is today.
10 April 2007 Timaru Herald
Beverley was for many years considered the showplace of Timaru. Built in the 1860s, the 30-room house was set in 12 acres of grounds. By the1950s, when it became a war veterans' home, much of the grounds had gone and in the 1970s the two-storey home was demolished to make way for the RSA's new Wai-iti Road premises. This article was written for the Timaru Herald by local historian William Vance and published on May 5, 1945.
The change in the name of the legal firm of Perry, Finch and Hudson brings back memories of that showplace of Timaru -- Beverley, home of the Perry family. George Rhodes died in 1864. Three years later his widow was married to Arthur Perry, who came from Tasmania. In 1873 they bought Beverley from Henry Le Cren, who built it in the early sixties. He had chartered a ship especially to bring from Tasmania the timber for this house. Constructed of Australian hard timber, baltic pine, totara and kauri, this old home, with cob-filled 18-inch thick walls and now nearing its century is still in sound condition. The boundaries of Beverley, ringed by pines, ran from the Great North Road [SH1] up Wai-iti road to Grant's property, opposite Le Cren Street; across the gully to Hart Street; then down the brow of the hill at the back of Trafalgar Street to meet the Great North Road boundary there.
About this time
George Knowles, descended from a long line of Devonshire
gardeners and himself a gardener, came to Timaru. He soon became head gardener
at Beverley, which position he held until 1898 when Beverley was sold after the
death of Mr Perry. Mr and Mrs Knowles, known to the five Perry children as Mr
and Mrs Poddles, lived in a cob cottage on the property at the back of the home
of Mr Arthur Jones, Beverley Road. In this cottage the seven Knowles children
With enthusiastic aid from Mr and Mrs Perry, George Knowles set out to build up
one of the best gardens in New Zealand. From all parts of the world plants were
imported, and before many years, the gardens and the head gardener of Beverley
were known throughout the Dominion. Mr Knowles was proud of his knowledge of the
history of his foreign importations; when asked the name of any of them, some
unpronounceable Latin name would roll off his tongue. A feature of the gardens
was a long driveway arched over by magnificent macrocarpa. In the grounds were
also four glasshouses in which grew orchids, begonia, pineapples, bananas,
lemons and oranges.
Down the valley, on the bed of which was built Beverley Road, ran Beverley Creek. It had its source at the top of Selwyn Street and flowed into a pond of about an acre in extent, at the foot of Beverley Road. Weeping willows, backed by stately English trees, dipped their green fronds into the still waters. On the edge of the pond were iris and clumps of marsh flowers. Bright-plumaged ducks, swimming peacefully in this sanctuary, added colour to the brilliant flowers that grew on the grassy banks. The music of the splashing and laughing children seeking out the tiny fish that teemed in the pond can still be heard in memory by those Timaruvians who recall outings to Perry's pond.
Just across the road was Perry's viaduct, an open trestle bridge at the foot of which had been dumped large rocks to stop the sea from encroaching on the Great North Road. During rough seas, people passing there were liable to be drenched with spray from waves dashing on to those rocks. Even after the property was sold and Beverley Road built through, part of the pond was still there. A diptheria outbreak caused it to be looked upon with suspicion and it was drained by order of the Borough Council. From early childhood the creek and the pond were an especial attraction to Nellie, the Perrys' only daughter. There she learned to become a skilful rower and she taught her two cousins, Heaton and George Rhodes, of Christchurch, when they came to stay at Beverley, how to row. As the years rolled on, George increased his visits to Beverley and increased his desire to be taught rowing by his vivacious cousin.
In a big way, Beverley gave parties, the likes of which Timaru will probably never again see. They were real parties, often starting in the afternoon with tennis, hunting or shooting. The guests would return to the Perry home for an eight-course dinner, followed by dancing, cards and games. Dawn would be breaking before the last guest went home. While their masters were feasting in the big house, the coachmen would hold their own party round a barrel of beer in the men's quarters. Sometimes there would be a breakdown in the arrangements, such as, for example, when the cook was found hilariously helpless beside the whisky cask in the wine store. Beverley also had other accidents. One day a whirlwind caught up the washing on the line and whisked it out to sea. Remnants of it were later picked up at Dashing Rocks.
Of all the grand days of Beverley, the grandest of them all was when Nellie Perry became Mrs George Rhodes. To this alliance of two of Canterbury's leading families came the fashion and quality of Canterbury. Rich wines, choice food and lavish entertainment were there in plenty for the hundreds of guests. At that party champagne was as common as beer. This was the last of the big Perry banquets. When Nellie Perry left the family home, she took with her something that was never replaced, for round this vivacious young woman the gaiety and sparkle of Beverley revolved. From then on this house of many parties took on a more subdued tone. If Beverley could not forget her, Nellie Perry never forgot Beverley -- the creek -- and the pond. Every home she subsequently lived in must have a creek and a pond; and the last of her luxurious Christchurch homes was named by her "Beverley". And she never forgot the people of Beverley. In Mr Knowles' last illness Mrs Rhodes came from Christchurch for the especial purpose of seeing him and stayed in Timaru till he died a fortnight later. But to "Mr Poddles", she was not Mrs George Rhodes, leader of the social life of Christchurch, but Nellie Perry, that harum- scarum girl who used to steal those hot-house bananas he had tended for months; break down his choice shrubs and forever to keep him busy fishing her out of the creek or pond. His illness was forgotten when he was recalling carefree days when Beverley was young.
Right in the centre of Beverley Road, near the property of Mr Tait, was an old
well and pump from which water was obtained before the municipal supply was laid
on to the house. An old cart on which were fitted two tanks, was drawn by a
horse up the hill to the house. For years afterwards this derelict cart lay in
"Jack's paddock". The great delight of the Knowles children was to drag this
cart to the top of Beverley Road, clamber aboard, and let it go. One day as the
cart was hurtling downhill Percy Knowles tumbled off and split open his head,
The deep scar from this accident can still be plainly seen.
In the sunny paddock beyond Beverley Hill grazed Jack, the black horse with the
white face that brought to Timaru Mrs Perry, the first white woman to cross the
Canterbury Plains. Then the 19-year-old bride of George Rhodes, she came to The
Levels, first sheep station in South Canterbury, the boundaries of which
stretched from the Opihi to the Pareora and from the sea to the snowy ranges.
When Jack died at a great age he was buried in his paddock at the corner of
Wai-iti Road and Beverley Hill, where Mr Allan Marshall's house now stands. Mrs
Perry had the hooves of the horse made into ink stands. Jack's paddock was
popular with picnic parties, and the CTC used to camp there.
The Beverley paddocks were the practice grounds for huntsmen. On many a morning
local huntsmen like Tommy Thomson, Melville Gray, Kernahan and Adams put their
horses over the hurdles and water jumps there.
To the north of the house where Mr JS Turnbull's home now is, were the stables, a model of what good stables should be. All types of carriages were there and everything was kept spic and span. A frequent sight in Stafford Street was the Perry carriage drawn by two magnificent black horses. While the carriage was waiting for Mrs Perry one afternoon, the horses bolted down the drive and were not caught until they reached the top of Melville Hill.
Timaru Herald, 8 December 1882, Page 2
A Runaways Yesterday afternoon the well-know pair of greys belonging to Mr Arthur Perry, while standing at the door of his residence, Beverley, attached to the brougham, took fright at something and bolted. The coachman, before the horses had proceeded far, jumped off the box and landed safely on the ground. The horses then went through the entrance gates and headed for the town, going along the Main Road at a terrific pace, and were finally stopped near the Hospital by Mr J. Lukey who had ridden after them on horseback. In proceeding along the Main Road the carriage collided with Mr Dawson's dogcart, breaking a step off it. A pony carriage, in which were four ladies, had a narrow escape from collision near Shepherd's corner, the runaways just clearing it. One of the pole chains parted soon after the horses started from Beverley, and during the course of their gallop one of the springs of the brougham was broken. It is a wonder the whole carnage was not smashed to atoms. The occurrence created considerable excitement in town.
On Mr A Morrie Taylor's property in Wai-iti Road were the four tennis courts where tennis parties were held every Wednesday afternoon. This was one of the events of the town and Miss Hassell has told me she remembered her mother working all hours of the night so as to have Wednesday afternoon at Beverley. This was the only diversion she had from the care of her six children.
tree has got a little bit taller in time for Christmas.
Gone are almost all the trees and shrubs that once graced Beverley's 12 acres of garden and orchard. The Wellingtonia gigantica tree, grown by Mrs Perry from a seed given her by her first husband, George Rhodes, has escaped destruction. This is probably now the tallest tree in Timaru. Entrance to this 30-roomed home was from the Great North Road, the original Beverley gates, now the gates to Mr D.C. Turnbull's house [David Clarkson Turnbull 1868-1951], are still there.
Not a significant tree according to council site, but certainly an historical one and the tallest in Timaru (34 metres)112 feet.
Age: greater than 128 years. It is possible it may reach 40m (133 feet) in height and live over 150 years.
Locally it is called the 'Champagne Tree'. The Elizabeth Perry tree has unfortunately had the top blown out of it a few years ago. It has become more widely noticed since the council uses it for a Christmas light. Did you know it was known by the family as the champagne tree due to a bet by Major Wright (a Perry relative) that it wouldn't grow? A Rhodes descendent was asked if his Grandmother Airini Woodhouse ever told him the story of the tree. He said "Every time we went past." Apparently it was shifted there in a wheelbarrow in early 1880 when a widowed Mrs Rhodes married Mr Perry. The tree went from her house to his. A case of champagne was wagered as to whether the tree would survive the shift.
17 December 2003 Timaru Herald
Timaru's tallest tree has got a little bit taller in time for Christmas. An enthusiastic crowd of guests and members of the community gathered at the RSA last night to watch the unveiling of Timaru's newest decorated Christmas tree. The 34-metre icon, which stands on the Wai-iti Road property of Maurice and Sally Smith, has been illuminated by the Timaru District Council with four spotlights. A seven metre high `sputnik type' light decoration has also been fitted on the grand old Wellingtonian tree's highest tip. Timaru ward committee chairman Terry Kennedy said the idea of decorating the Timaru landmark had originated from Geraldine councillor Lee Burdon a few years ago. "As she came in and out of Timaru all the time she felt that it was an icon and it would be neat for it to be seen as a Christmas tree." Mayor Wynne Raymond said it had taken a few years for the idea to come in to fruition but he was absolutely delighted with the result. He said the landmark, which he believed was Timaru's tallest tree. "It was originally planted in the 1880s by a Mrs George Rhodes in Beswick Street where the council chambers now stand." After Mrs Rhodes' husband died she remarried an Arthur Perry, moved to Beverley Road and took the tree across town with her in a wheelbarrow to replant it. "Here it still stands and it is now known as the champagne tree." Mr Smith, whose property the tree now stands on, said the champagne tree was also used as a navigation point for ships during the Second World War. "It's absolutely great to see it decorated." Timaru District Council projects co-ordinator Mark Elworthy said the tree's top decorative light, which should withstand 150 km winds, took a couple of hours to be put in place by a crane on Friday. Mr Elworthy said the decorations would be on display until the end of January.
Council Ward Committee meeting 31 May 2007
Continue with the decorations to the existing Wellingtonian tree situated on private property at 13 Wai-iti Road. The decorations include flood lighting and an illuminated star at the top of the tree. The tree is in a high elevation position and can be readily seen by a large number of people including travellers on State Highway 1. There were some operation issues last year that resulted in power loss and no lighting for a long period by these issues can be solved with some additional maintenance work.
After the death of Mrs Perry, her husband, himself ill, sought increasing solace in the quiet of his garden. Every morning he would wander down the rose walk to have at talk with Mr Knowles. He loved to show people round the garden and he would go out on to the road to invite people to come and have a look round. Save for the half-dozen rooms occupied by himself and a housekeeper, the rest of the house, filled with massive mahogany and walnut furniture, rich carpets and elegant silver was shut up. Still the keen fisherman, but without the energy to go to the rivers, he would on moonlight nights hire a launch and go fishing just outside the harbour. There in quietness he would dream of the golden days of Beverley -- when 100 guests sat down to dinner; when half a mile of carriages stood at the gates; when the house was filled with life and laughter. Across the silvered waters he would look up at his many-gabled home. But Beverley was in darkness.
In 1981 the $10,500 geodesic dome
was purchased from Ferrymead, CHCH by the Bay Association to form part of a
$60,000 sunken aviary and was part of the plan to beautify the viaduct entrance
to the Bay. The aviary replaced earlier aviaries that were sited adjacent.
Volunteer labour built it.
Photo of the intersection at Evans St. (SH 1) [The Great North Rd] and Wai-iti Rd, Timaru, Dec. 18 2008. A similar outlook would have been obtained from the Beverley estate overlooking Caroline Bay. The dome shaped structure, the bird aviary, is moving as the location is not ideal, being cold, draughty, and close to the main road and the council plans to redevelop site and the entranceway to the Bay through the viaduct.
On 12 March 2009 it took nearly six hours for a crane to lift the geodesic dome over the Caroline Bay Hall and a large tree to its new site on the Caroline Bay tennis courts, 100 metres away. Most of the birds 70-plus birds were being temporarily housed at the Timaru Botanic Gardens aviaries while others were at the Timaru Bird Club's aviaries. There is also an aviary at Temuka.
The geodesic aviary on the Bay was presented to the public of Timaru by W A Collins as president of the Caroline Bay Association Inc, on December 26, 1981. It is written on a sign attached to the rear wall of the ladies toilet where it would have been next to the aviary in its original position.
Timaru Herald August 1870
DEATH: July 11, At Secheron, Hobart Town, Tasmania, June, relict of the late Arthur Perry, Esq., solicitor, aged 49.
Birth: December 26, 1870 at Timaru, the wife of Arthur Perry, of a daughter.
Timaru Herald, 30 December 1874, Page 3
Married. Perry Ouimette On December 19th, at Trinity Church, Lyttelton, by the Rev. F. Pember, Cecil T. H. Perry, of Timaru, to Adelia, second daughter of the late Charles S. Ouimette, Esq., of Hawkesbury, Canada.
Timaru Herald, 11 August 1876, Page 3
Wright Perry. On the 9th August, at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, by the Ven. Archdeacon Harper, assisted by the Ven. George Foster, Augustus William Wright to Amy Jane Perry.
Timaru Herald, 14 October 1876, Page 3
On Thursday night a fancy dress calico ball came off at the Mechanics' Institute. Being the first of the kind, we believes m Canterbury, we will depart from the usual practice of newspapers as to reporting private entertainments, and with the kind permission of the host and hostess (Mr and Mrs Archer), give the names of those present and the characters represented. They were as follows Archer, Mr, as a Captain of the Royal Cornwall Rangers ; Perry, Mr A., as a Gamekeeper; Perry, Mrs A., as a Spanish Lady ; Perry, Mr Cameron, as a Swiss Peasant; Perry, Mr Cecil, as a Man of, War's Man; Perry, Mrs Cecil as a Portuguese Peasant; Ravenhill, Mr R., as a Jockey...
Timaru Herald Birth June 1877
WRIGHT - On June 24 at Beverly, near Timaru, the wife of A. W. Wright of a daughter.
Timaru Herald, 8 October 1878,
Wright. On September 26th, at Beverley, Timaru, the wife of A. W. Wright of a son.
Evening Post, 20 May 1879, Page 2
TIMARU. 19th May. At the Resident Magistrate's Court to-day, Mr. Arthur Perry was summoned for allowing a horse to wander on the railway. Mr. Perry argued that as the railway was not fenced on both sides from Amberley to the Bluff fines could not be inflicted on persons whose cattle wander on it. The Magistrate said to uphold Mr. Perry's argument would result in endless trouble, and inflicted a fine of £2.
Poverty Bay Herald, 24 January 1906, Page 3
A very pretty wedding (says the Timaru Herald) took place at St. Mary's Church last Wednesday afternoon, when Mr Frank Evans, of Dalgety and Co., was married to Miss Vida Wright, daughter of Captain A. W. Wright, of Craighead, Wai-iti road. The bride, who was given away by her father, was beautifully gowned in an ivory white satin; trimmed with Brussels lace. Her four bridesmaids, Miss Wright (sister. of the bride), Misses Tennant, Dolly Strechey and Nollene Wright, wore pretty white mousseline dresses, and carried bouquets of scarlet carnations and maiden hair fern. The groomsmen were Messrs V. Wright and McKellar.
Timaru Herald, 3 June 1882, Page 2
Winter Strawberries. We received yesterday a fine sample of ripe strawberries, Trollope's Queen, grown in the open air, without any special attention, in Mr Perry's garden at Beverley.
RHODES, A.E.G., Barrister-at-Law, Beverley, Timaru, 1883
Timaru Herald July 1890 Death.
PERRY. On the 10th instant, at Beverley, Timaru, Elizabeth, the beloved wife of Arthur Perry.
Evening Post, 10 July 1890, Page 3
Death of a well-known Old Settler. Timaru, This day. Died, this morning, Mrs Arthur Perry, mother by her first marriage of Mr. Rhodes, M.H R., and three brothers and a sister. Mrs. Geo. Rhodes came to Timaru in 1854 and was the second white woman in the district. She leaves also five children by her second marriage. The cause of death was heart complaint.
Timaru Herald December 1890
RHODES - PERRY. On November 26th at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, Bishop Harper, assisted by Ven. Archdeacon Harper, George Edward, second son of the late Robert Heaton Rhodes, of Elmwood, Christchurch, to Nellie only daughter of Arthur Perry, of Beverley, Timaru.
Timaru Herald, 27 November 1890, Page 2
There was a great crush at St. Mary's Church yesterday afternoon, of persons of all ranks, ladies of course forming the great majority, to witness the wedding of Mr G.E. Rhodes, of Christchurch, a son of the late Robert Heaton Rhodes, to Miss Perry, daughter of Mr Arthur Perry. So determined were many of those who attended to secure a place in the church, that they were assembling in numbers more than an hour before the time fixed for the ceremony. As the time approached the streets in the vicinity of the church were a most animated scene. Large numbers of settlers, friends of one or both contracting parties, came in from the country, and the carriage traffic was equally unusual in amount with that on the footpaths. By half-past two, the time fixed for the ceremony, the church was full to overflowing. The ceremony was performed by Bishop Harper, assisted by his son, the Ven, Archdeacon Harper. The bride was attended by a single bridesmaid, Miss C. Turnbull-Perry, and a couple of pages, Masters Wright and Pitman. The bridegroom was attended by Mr Grieg, jun., of Longbeach, as best man, and Miss Perry was given away by her father, Mr Arthur Perry. The wedding service was choral, the march being beautifully played by Mr Gooch, St Mary's organist. The altar and choir stalls were profusely decorated. The young couple left for Winchester in the afternoon, and spend their honeymoon in the North Island, and afterwards go for a trip to England and the Continent.
Star 27 November 1890, Page 2
Wedding at Timaru. The marriage of Mr E. G. Rhodes, second son of the late Mr Robert Heaton Rhodes, of Christchurch, to Miss Perry, daughter of Mr Arthur Perry, of Beverley, Timaru, took place yesterday afternoon, in St Mary's Church, Timaru. Bishop Harper, assisted by Archdeacon Harper, performed the ceremony. Owing to a recent bereavement in the family none but immediate friends were invited; yet a large number of people attended at the church. The bride was given away by her father, and had only one bridesmaid, Miss Turnbull, her cousin. Mr Rhodes had his elder brother, Mr R. H. Rhodes, as his best man. After the ceremony, the wedding guests had breakfast at Mr Perry's residence, and about four o'clock Mr and Mrs Rhodes took their departure for Winchester, en route for Christchurch, a prolonged tour through the North Island and then to the Continent of Europe.
Timaru Herald, 9 January 1892, Page 3
The visit of the Ringarooma. The officers of the vessel present at the luncheon were then invited by Mr Arthur Perry to Beverley for a game of tennis.
Timaru Herald, 27 January 1892, Page 2
We learn that the annual festival of St. Mary's Sunday School is to be held m Mr Arthur Perry's grounds, Beverley (kindly placed at disposal for the occasion), tomorrow afternoon. The children and teaches are to assemble at the schoolroom and march to the ground.
Timaru Herald, 9 July 1892, Page 2
We remind all interested in properties that d Messrs Guinness and LeCren will sell " "Moanavale" at their rooms at 2 o'clock this afternoon. The farm is highly improved, and if not sold as a whole will be offered in sections, the sizes of which are given it another column. The property is for absolute sale, as the term of partnership between Messrs Wright and Rhodes has expired. The land is in the best of order, and fences, gates and buildings are in thorough repair.
Timaru Herald, 3 August 1893, Page 2
St. .Mary's Church was crowded at 8 o'clock yesterday, chiefly by ladies, who assembled to witness he marriage of Mr G. B. Bullock and Miss Turnbull Perry, adopted daughter of Mr Arthur Perry. The wedding was a quiet one, the bridal party consisting only of immediate relations, Mr and Mrs E. T. Rhodes, Captain and Mrs Wright, Mr and Mrs Cecil Perry. Mr A. C. Perry was best-man, and the bride was given away by Mr Arthur Perry. The ceremony was performed by the Ven. Archdeacon Harper. The port was gay with bunting all day in honour of the marriage, Mr Bullock being local manager of the New Zealand Shipping Company. We understand the honeymoon will be spent a trip round Australia.
Star 9 December 1896, Page 3
Personal. Dr W. D. Perry has just returned from England, and intends to settle in New Zealand. Dr Perry, who is a son of Mr Arthur Perry, of Timaru, studied medicine at the Middlesex Hospital. After taking his M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P. degrees in 1895, he was appointed to the charge of the Gloucester Infirmary, where he remained until he relinquished the position to return to the colony.
Star 24 December 1904, Page 5
Dr and Mrs Perry arrived in town this morning from Wellington.
The Times Saturday, Jan 15, 1898 Marriage
Perry - Castellan. On the 12th inst., at Wellington, NZ, Walter Dymocke, son of Arthur Perry, of Beverley, Timaru, NZ to Marie, daughter of Alfred Castellain, of 59, Pulteney-street, Bath. (By cable)
Timaru Herald, 22 April 1898, Page 2
DEATH. Perry. On April 21st, at Beverley, Timaru, Arthur Perry ; aged 58. Arthur Perry, solicitor, a very old resident of Timaru, died on Thursday. He served in the Provincial Council, and took a great interest in acclimatisation and horticulture.
Timaru Herald, 22 April 1898, Page 3 DEATH OF MR ARTHUR PERRY.
After suffering severely for about nine months from cancer in the mouth, and having the sympathy of everyone in the town and district in his painful affliction, Mr Arthur Perry was relieved by the kindly hand of death at 8 o'clock yesterday morning. The news spread rapidly, and the general feeling was that in this case the death was not one to be grieved over. Regrets for the loss of friend and fellow - citizen had been expended previously. Flags were flown at halfmast on the vessels in harbour and on the flagstaff. Mr Perry was an old but not one of the oldest identities of Timaru, having come to the town in 1864 or 1865. He at once commenced the practice of his profession, in partnership with Mr Cardale. He was appointed solicitor to the Municipal Council, which preceded the Borough Council, and on the incorporation of the Borough in 1868 he was appointed solicitor and held that office ever since. He served for some time in the Provincial Council, but otherwise did not take a prominent part in local govern meat matters. He was an enthusiastic devotee of the rod and gun, and was a foremost and most energetic member of the Acclimatisation Society from its inauguration. His influence was even greater in maintaining the Timaru Floral and Horticultural Society, who will find it difficult to fill the gap caused by the death of their Patron. Privately he was a very kind-hearted man, professionally he was careful and straightforward, and to the public at large he was one of the most highly respected men in South Canterbury. The funeral takes place on to-morrow afternoon.
Timaru Herald, 25 April 1898, Page 2
The funeral of the late Mr Arthur Perry , took place on Saturday, and the respect in which the deceased gentleman was held was shown by a large following, and by the number of people who assembled in the streets to see the funeral cortege, the footpath on the shop side of the main street being ; thronged from Woollcombe street to Strathallan street. The members of the Committee of the Timaru Floral Society walked beside the hearse and acted as coffin-bearers. Next came several carriages bearing wreaths, three or four carriages of mourners, about forty people on foot, and then a succession of about thirty-five vehicles, the majority of them from the country. The horses in one of the mourning coaches gave some trouble, playing up frequently as the procession passed along the street. The service at the grave was conducted by the Rev. Mr Whitehead, and the Rev. Mr Orbell, of St. Mary's Church.
Timaru Herald, 16 June 1898, Page 2
The Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association report the sale of Beverley and all the land attached, to Messrs Turnbull Bros., Timaru, at a satisfactory figure.
Timaru Herald, 30 June 1898, Page 2
Messrs J. Mundell and J. H. Glasson hold a clearing sale at Beverley to-day starting at 11 a.m. The various lots have been so arranged as to be easy of inspection, the furniture being laid out on the verandahs, and the household requisites, pictures, etc., on the lawns. The pot plants have been arranged on the small lawns near the conservatories, and the kitchen utensils, etc., in the yard. The public entrance is off Wai-iti Road.
Timaru Herald, 2 July 1898, Page 2
The clearing sale at Beverley during the past two days was largely attended, and on the whole a very satisfactory clearance was made. A lot of conservatory plants were purchased by Christchurch florists and gardeners.
Timaru Herald, 18 July 1898, Page 2
A special meeting of the Levels County Council was held on Saturday, in connection with a proposal to purchase a strip of land from the Beverley Estate to widen the Main North Road between that estate and the railway. The chairman explained that he had called the meeting because the terms on which a strip had been placed under offer were open to acceptance only a few days. Since calling the meeting, he had learned that this piece of road lies within the area which is to be annexed to the Borough, and therefore the question arose whether the Council should concern themselves any further about it. It was agreed that under the circumstances the Council should take no further steps in the matter.
Timaru Herald, 10 July 1900, Page 2
The framework of another residence is now being erected on Beverley, on the corner section. This will make a vast difference to the appearance of that part of the Main North road.
Timaru Herald, 14 September 1900, Page 2
The filling of the deep drain-pipe trench across the main road at Beverley Pond, showed signs of subsidence yesterday after the heavy rain, as if the filling had not been sufficiently rammed to insure safety.
Mercury (Hobart, Tas.) Saturday 18 August 1917
In referring to the death of Mr. Cecil Thomas Henry Perry, who. next to Mr. J. W. White, Crown Prosecutor, was the oldest legal resident of Timaru, he having been in practice there since
1873, the Timaru Herald " says - The son of an English solicitor, he was born at Hobart, Tasmania, in 1846, was educated at the Hobart High School, and was admitted to the Bar at Hobart in 1870. His elder brother, Mr. Arthur Perry, established himself as a solicitor in Timaru in 1865 or 1866 and Mr. Cecil Perry joined him in 1873. The name of the firm, "Messrs. Perry and Perry, was a household word for many years in the district. Mr. Arthur Perry died a good many years ago. Prior to his death Mr. W. E. Kinnerney became a partner, and his name was added to the firm's title. During the late Mr Perry's membership many big cases were conducted by the firm, of which Mr Kinnerney is now the sole surviving partner. The late Mr. Perry as a capable solicitor in his own fields. He was not brilliant as a pleader, but most painstaking, and an exemplar of urbanity in his conduct of cases in court. In private life he was an unassuming, cultured gentleman-"one of nature's gentlemen" has often been said of him. He was highly esteemed and extremely well liked, never said an ill word of anyone, probably never made an enemy in his life, and earliest had the greatest confidence in his uprightness and sense of fair play. As a youth and for a great number of years he was an enthusiastic cricketer-he represented Tasmania when only 16, and was still a proficient batsman in middle life-and when Timaru took to golf he was one of the earliest players and became one of the most enthusiastic and skilful votaries of the game. His last appearance on the golf links, at the opening of the present season, was his last day out of doors. He had been in failing health for some time before that day, and perhaps over-exerted himself in following the players. In late Mr. Perry married a Canadian lady, Miss Ouimette, in 1874. They had no children. Mr. Perry's death will be deeply regretted, not only by his large circle of personal friends, but also by the people of South Canterbury generally, who recognised in him one whose death will be a loss to the whole community.
Airini Bird Date: 2007-03-28
I would like to find out more about my Great Grandfather. His name was Frank Churchill Perry and he was born on the 15th February 1871 at Beverley, Timaru. His father was Arthur Perry and his mother Elizabeth Rhodes Wood. He had three brothers and one sister. Percy Lyttelton Perry, Walter Dymock Perry, Arthur Cecil Perry and Ellen Laura Amy Perry (may have been known as Nellie).
Mr. Arthur Perry, of Timaru, a very successful angler of
many years' experience.
Both Arthur and his brother Cecil T. H. Perry, also a solicitor, played cricket for Canterbury.
Timaru Herald, 15 January 1894, Page 3
FUNERAL OF E. T. RHODES.
Seldom in the history of Timaru has widespread interest been shown in the last rites of a deceased person, as was shown on Saturday m the funeral of the late E. T. Rhodes. He was so well known, was so generally popular, and was connected with so many public bodies and dubs, each of which prepared to be formally represented in the funeral cortege, that this promised to be the most imposing I ever witnessed here. Beautiful weather favoured the ceremony, and the anticipations formed of the cortege were fully realised. We can recall a few funeral processions in which more people took part, but as the distance from Hadlow is too far to walk, and the majority of those who followed were in vehicles, the length of the procession we believe, surpassed any other. A count of the vehicles as they passed the Back of New Zealand corner gave 92, with an average of about four occupants. It was three-quarters of a mile long, and took 15 minutes to pass a given point. The vehicles were followed by 20 horsemen, and were interrupted about 25 from the head, by about 100 persons on foot, bearing the colours of the three athletic clubs with which the deceased was connected - the S.C.A.A.C., the Bowing Club, and the Tourists' Cycling Club. Other public bodies represented were the Harbour Board, Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Levels Board Board, S.C.J.C., and Caledonian Society, of each of which the deceased had been an officer or member. All classes of the community were represented, and we observed several parties from distant legalities, Fairlie, Mackenzie Country, St Andrews, Temuka, etc. The main street was lined with people, and a little crowd was congregated at every street crowing. The hearse was hung with wreaths, and the glazed sides permitted glimpses to be had of the polished oak coffin. A carriage full of wreaths found a place m the procession. The first carriages contained as chief mourners Mr R. H. Rhodes of Bluecliffs deceased's brother, Mr G. Rhodes, and Mr H. Rhodes, Christchurch, Mr Cecil Perry, Mr Frank Perry, Mr Vernon Hackwortli, Mr Parke, manager of Hadlow, and Dr Thomas. These gentlemen bore the coffin to the grave. The Ven. Archdeacon Harper conducted the solemn services in the mortuary chapel and at the grave, which is immediately behind the chapel and beside that of the late Mrs A. Perry, the deceased's mother. There was an enormous crowd waiting at the cemetery, and the pressure around the grave was very great. On the grave being filled in Mr Radcliffe, the undertaker, had the wreaths and crosses, of which there were over forty, laid on the grave. Wreaths were sent by the following :- Miss LeCren, Miss O'Brien, the Bowing Club, The Jockey Club, Mrs Lindsay, Mrs and Miss C_ _mond, Mrs Wray, the Rev. Mother and community of the Convent, Mrs Wright, Mrs J Ford, Mrs H Ford, Mrs Luxmoore, Mrs Smithson, Dr Thomas, Dr Drew, Mr G. Sealey, Mrs G E Rhodes, Mrs Bullock, Mrs A Rhodes, Mrs B Heaton Rhodes, Mrs Cecil Perry, Mrs H LeCren, Miss Webster, Mrs O'Rourke, Mrs Hunter Blair, Mrs Alister Clark, Beverley, the Hadlow men.
Timaru Herald, 29 January 1889, Page 4
BALL AT HADLOW.
(Notes by " Cordelia.") According to promise I now send you some particulars of the ball given by Mrs E. T. Rhodes last Thursday evening. It was an immense success, everything being on a very grand scale. Arriving at the gates we found the drive lit on each side by innumerable lanterns, which had a very pretty effect, the night being very dark. After being divested of cloaks, etc., in the dressing room, and the finishing touches seen to, we were shown to the drawing room, which had been constructed specially at the back entrance to the hall. It was beautifully ornamented, and lit with a number of prettily coloured fairy lamps, their soft tinted light being quite a contrast to the brilliantly lit ball room, which we entered by passing through an arch. The ball room was very tastefully decorated with bunting and Chinese lanterns, and it looked very nice indeed, the usual green branches and flowers being dispensed with, and I must confess that the room looked far better without them. The floor was a splendid one, being specially laid, on the rink principle, and covered over with a huge marquee, 63 x 40, giving ample room for dancing. I should think there would be over 200 guests. And now for the dresses ; I give you particulars of those that I remember :
Mrs E. T. Rhodes, very handsome butttercup-coloured merveilleux satin, with wreath of poppies of same colour and train.
Mrs Arthur Perry, black satin.
Mrs Cecil Perry, pink satin.
Mrs Laing-Meason, pale yellow dress, trimmed with gold.
Mrs Marchant, handsome claret coloured satin.
Mrs Thomas, white broche.
Mrs Lindsay, black satin.
Mrs J. W. White, black satin.
Mrs Hassell, black satin.
Mrs Dawaon, brown satin with fawn panels.
Mrs Cargill, white satin trimmed with white lace.
Mrs Hamlyn, white broche.
Mrs Chisholm, black satin.
Mrs Steadman, white net.
Mrs Mathias, pale yellow with lilies of the valley.
Mrs Robert Rutherford, pale pink Surah silk.
Mrs John Rutherford, blue silk.
Mrs Howley, black lace, with panels of pink silk.
Miss Moorhouse, black lace.
Miss Mabel Studholme, white tulle.
Miss Perry, white tulle, trimmed with marguerites.
Miss Ford, pretty dress of blue Surah silk.
Miss Archer, yellow net skirt, striped satin yellow body.
Miss N. Archer, palest pink Sarah silk.
Miss Cramond, a lovely dress of deep shade of pink watered silk, trimmed with pink crape and long ostrich feathers.
Miss Rattray (Dunedin); black net dress with demi-train.
Miss Cork (Christchurch), black, trimmed with silver.
Miss Hassell, black net, with silver thread running through net.
Miss Cargill, black dress.
Miss Laura O'Brian, white dress, trimmed with ribbons and lace.
Miss Ethel Lovegrove, white silk, embroidered with gold.
Miss G. Lovegrove, pale blue net skirt, blue satin bodice.
Miss Effie White, pale yellow net skirt, satin body of same color.
Miss White, pale blue Surah silk.
Miss Lissaman, heliotrope silk with train.
Miss L. Woollcombe, pale yellow dress of silk material.
Miss S. LeCren, net skirt of deep shade of blue, satin bodice.
Miss Mabel LeCren, black dress with steel trimming.
Miss Emily LeCren, skirt of pale pink spotted net, bodice Surah silk.
Miss Foley, black lace
Miss B. Cooper, black dress with crimson ribbons.
The supper was laid in the billiard room and the tables looked lovely. I am afraid to say what time I got home, everyone seemed bent on enjoying themselves and not at all anxious to leave.