Traction Engine owners in South Canterbury, N.Z. in 1904 

Appendix to the AJHR of House of Representatives 1905 Vol. IV. H - miscellaneous

Return showing the names of Owners of Boilers, &c. H-15A
South Canterbury pages 48 -51 



Threshing. Michael Crowley, engine driver, Otaio. Photo taken at John Bray's property, Langdon, Cricklewood, near Fairlie. 


Traction engines were employed for so many purposes on a farm, threshing, chaff-cutting, wood sawing, ploughing, and what not.


Thought to be Burrell's house (second on left up Rocky Gully Road, Albury) being taken to Timaru in 1948, photographed just outside Pleasant Point, photo may have been taken by Emily Neilson. Note the chap on top pushing the power lines over the roof, and the lack of 'escort vehicles' and flashing lights! A bit ironic having a Burrell house hauled by an Aveling engine. Note the brass mascot on the cylinder plate - a prancing horse. NZ Free Lance: Photographic prints ATL PAColl-5469-052. Aveling, a Kentish farmer, was dissatisfied with the portable steam engines then used to power farm machinery because the engines had to be hauled from site to site by teams of horses. He set out to make the engines self-moving, and in the process became known as the "Father of the traction engine". Aveling & Porter (later Aveling-Barford) continued to manufacture steam rollers until after the second world war.

20 boilers were imported to the Timaru district in 1904, 263 hp from overseas.



Timaru Herald, 11 October 1910, Page 6 Further hearing of the charge against William Morris Willetts, that he used a vehicle drawn by a traction engine and engaged in heavy traffic on the Main Mackenzie road, without having such vehicle duly licenced.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb


Kingston 2009. Wheels with cleats.