Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 945-946 Published 1903
CAVE derives its name from the interesting Maori caves in its neighbourhood. It is on the Tengawai river and about twenty-two miles by rail from Timaru, on the Timaru-Fairlie line. The station stands 507 feet above the sea. There is a post and telegraph office near the railway station, and a public school. The district is said to abound in trout and hares, and is a very pleasant place to spend a holiday. At the census of 1901 Cave had a population of eighty-eight. The district is devoted to agriculture and sheepfarming.
The Cave Post Office and Telephone Bureau conducted at the railway station. The postal department has been represented here since the land around was first opened up, and the telephone communication was established in August, 1901. Mails are received and dispatched daily.
The Public School at Cave dates from the early eighties. The building is of wood and iron, and contains one class room and a porch, with accommodation for forty pupils. There are twenty names on the roll, and the average attendance is eighteen. Five acres of land are connected with the school premises, and there is a comfortable five roomed residence.
Miss Amy Ellen JONES, Teacher in charge of Cave, was born in Pleasant Point, and served her pupil-teachership at the local school. For a time she had charge of the Kakahu school, before being appointed to Cave.
Cave Arms Hotel (G. Finch, proprietor) Cave, This hotel is situated at Cave, twenty-two miles inland from Timaru, on the main road and railway line to Fairlie. It stands within a chain of the railway station, and has well furnished bedrooms for eight guests. The well ventilated dining room has seats for twenty-five persons, and there are several sitting-rooms. The stabling, looseboxes, and the well grassed, well-watered paddocks are all that the traveller could wish for for his weary horse. The hotel is supported by the neighbouring farmers, men on the surrounding stations, contractors, and the travelling public.
Mr G. FINCH was born within one miles of London Bridge, and educated in Kent, where he was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade. He came to New Zealand in 1872 by the ship "Isle of the South," and worked at his trade on the railway and at Mr John Anderson's foundry, Christchurch. Mr Finch is a member of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers, and is a Freemason and an Oddfellow, and also a member of the local school committee. He was married, in 1867, to Miss Dixon.
"FAIRFIELD" is a run of 1600 acres near Cave, and is owned by Mr Albert Smith. It was originally part of the Levels sheep station, but was taken up on the perpetual lease system in 1890 by the present proprietor, who has effected extensive improvements on the place, and now carries a flock of half-bred English Leicester sheep.
Mr Albert SMITH was born in Gloucestershire, England, where he followed farming pursuits during his early years. He came to New Zealand in 18859 in the ship "Zealandia," and engaged in station work at Coldstream with Messrs Scott and Grey. In 1863 he went to work for Mr Mellish at Lake Heron. There were no roads or bridges in the district, and haulage was done by bullocks, Mr and Mrs Smith met with bad weather on their way to Lake Heron, and their journey thither occupied five weeks. Mr Smith commenced farming on his own account in 1866 at pleasant Point, where he passed ten years, and removed to Albury in 1876. There he carried on farming till 1888, when he sold out. He was married, in 1857, to Miss Major, and has two sons and six daughters.
McGRATH, B., Darling Downs, Cave. Mr McGrath was born in 1868 at Oxford, where where he passed his early years on the farm of his father, the late Mr Thomas McGrath, who came to New Zealand in 1862. He purchased Darling Downs from Mr Donald Matheson in 1898. It contains 637 acres, and is devoted to the production of wool and mutton for the export trade. The land grows rape and other root crops to perfection, and the farm is divided into conveniently sized paddocks. Mr McGrath's homestead is charmingly situated on the top of a round knoll, whence one obtains a splendid view of the river, plains and sea, and on a clear day, even of Banks' Peninsula. Whilst at Oxford Mr McGrath served as director of sheep dipping company at Viewhill, and was also a supporter of the Working Men's Club. He always took an active part in football and cricket.
McPHERSON, Alexander, Sheepfarmer, Mount Misery, Cave. Mr McPherson was born in 1843, in Caithness-shire, Scotland and was educated at Braemore school. In 1870 he came to New Zealand in the ship "James Nicol Fleming, and entered the service of Messrs Buckley and McLean Brothers, of Waikakahi, he he remained for twenty years. In 1890 he took up his present holding of about 2000 acres on the lease on perpetuity system, and has made substantial and permanent improvements. The homestead is built on a piece of tableland overlooking the Pareora River gorge. It commands a good view of the Southern Alps, and is sheltered by a ell grown plantation. The run is divided into conveniently size paddocks, and carries a robust flock of crossbred sheep. Mr McPherson is a member of the local school committee. He was married in 1863, to Miss Cunningham, and has eight sons and six daughters.