Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 950-951 Published 1903
CRICKLEWOOD is situated in the Albury riding of the Mackenzie county, and is thirty-three miles from Timaru, by the Timaru-Fairlie branch line of railway. The local flag station stands at an elevation of 899 feet above sea level. There is a small school, but no hotel, or store or church. Cricklewood is a small sheepfarming district, with a small, scattered population.
BRAY, John, Farmer, Langdown Farm, Cricklewood. Mr Bray was born in Cornwall, England, in 1862, and came to Lyttelton, with his parents, in the ship "Lady Jocelyn." He received his education at Ferry Road and at Leeston, where his father was farming. Mr Bray learned the trade of a blacksmith at Doyleston, and worked there for six years, when he removed to the Ashburton district. He followed his trade in various places, and in 1887 started for himself at Westerfield. After seven years he sold out and bought 226 acres, which he farmed successfully for three years, when he took up his present property of 1066 acres. Mr. Bray works his land as a a sheep and agricultural farm, usually cropping half of it, and running 1000 crossbred sheep. He is president of the Mackenzie County Agricultural Society, a member of the Fairlie branch of the Farmers' Union, and a member of the Cricklewood school committee. Mr Bray was married in 1885, to a daughter of Mr Richard Boulton, of Alford Forest, Ashburton, and has three sons and three daughters.
CORBETT, James, Farmer, Cricklewood. Mr Corbett was born in 1856, in County Down, Ireland. He was educated in his birthplace, and brought up on his father's farm, which he managed until coming to Lyttelton in 1880. For sometime he was farming at Geraldine and Rangitata, and for fifteen years he had a small farm of sixty acres, at Ashburton Forks. In 1897 Mr Corbett sold out and acquired his present farm of 289 acres leasehold, and has improved his holding by fencing it and building a cottage. He runs about 450 sheep, and also does a little cropping. Mr Corbett has served on several school committees, and is now a member of the Cricklewood school committee. He was married, in Ireland, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr Hugh Corbett, of County Down. Mrs Corbett died in 1890, leaving four sons and one daughter. ?brother
SARGENT, Isaac, Farmer, Cricklewood. Mr Sargent was born in Cornwall, England, in the parish of Morval, on the 5th of June, 1838. He was brought up to farming on the property of his father, who was a farmer, and came to New Zealand in 1862, by the ship "Kensington," which arrived at Lyttelton in July that year. Mr Sargent worked in North Canterbury, and was for some time on the West Coast diggings. His first attempt at farming in the Colony was at Dunsandel. After being three years there he moved to Ashburton, where he took up a farm of 700 acres, on which he resided till the end of March, 1900, when he left to settle on "Rockwood," a property of 4,200 acres which he bought at Cricklewood, within six miles of Fairlie. Mr. Sargent was a member of the Ashburton Road Board for twenty years, was was instrumental in obtaining the school at Greenstreet. He married a daughter of the late Mr. John Crump, an old settler of Springston, and has had sixteen children, fourteen of whom are now living and well. "Rockwood" consists of first-class sheep country and is within a mile of the Cricklewood post office.