Search billions of records on

Dunlop Road Races - Timaru to Christchurch pre WW1- a New Zealand Classic

It was a one day handicapped event, 112 miles, with the fastest rider (the scratch rider) starting last. First held in 1899.

Star 4 July 1903, Page 6

For the information of competitors in the Timaru-Christchurch Road Race, the Dunlop Company advise that the same course as last year will be adopted, namely, the Main South Road, that is, via Temuka, Geraldine, Rangitata Traffic Bridge, Maronan Road, Tinwald, Ashburton (refreshments will be provided here) and Dunsandel.

Ernie Slow participated in the Timaru to Christchurch Dunlop Road races from c. 1906. In 1911 he came in second, winning time that year was 5hrs. 37min 31sec.

Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, 28 August 1928, Page 2
The greatest Cycling Test of the Year -the annual Timaru to Christchurch Road Race. The race has been held on nineteen occasions, the first one taking place 1899, when J. Metcalf of Temuka won in 7 hours, 40 minutes, 46 seconds. The fastest time for the race was recorded by Phil O'Shea, of Christchurch, who, in 1913 rode the 112 miles in the record time of 5 hours, 14 minutes, 58 seconds. On six occasions O'Shea secured fastest time for the event. The race carries with it the the of "New Zealand Road Champion"

The Dominion's foremost cycling fixture, the Timaru to Christchurch road race, is to be held on October 5th, over the usual course of 112 miles. It is being promoted by the North Canterbury Centre of the New Zealand Athletic and Cycling Union. In the past, the race has proved the most popular fixture, and every year attracts entries from all over the Dominion. The event decides the New Zealand road championship and is endowed with the richest prize of any race in Australia or New Zealand. Ever since 1899, when the first Timaru to Christchurch race was held, champions have been unearthed through the race. These champions in include Jack Arnst and R. Arnst, the latter being the ex-world's champion sculler; the redoubtable Phil O'Shea, the greatest cyclist the Dominion has produced, who won the race in 1909 and 1913, also securing the fastest time honours on no fewer than six occasions, and who holds the unique distinction of the Australasian road championship on three successive occasions; H. G. Watson, who was sent to France in 1927 to compete in the Tour de France race of 3,300 miles; and a number of other prominent riders, including A. Ralston of Dunedin; H. Henderson, Palmerston North; and A. Birch, Christchurch. Nominations for the race close with the organising secretary, Mr P. C. Lucas, Christchurch, on September 21.

The Arnst sporting family
Hermann and Catharina Arnst had 13 children. The family lived at Tai Tapu near Christchurch (NZ).

Jack Arnst
Jack was a champion on both road and track between 1903 and 1910. He gained fastest time in the 1903 Timaru to Christchurch and the Warnnambool to Melbourne. He also gained fastest time in the 1909 Timaru to Christchurch, but was later disqualified for accepting pace from his brother, Dick Arnst, who had earlier pulled out of the race. Many racers were disqualified for minor infringements of the rules that year. He went on to set long distance cycling records, including the Christchurch to Dunedin in 12 hours and 21 minutes. He, and several of his brothers, became champion cyclists both on the road and on the track. John "Jack" Arnst  was born at Tai Tapu, Canterbury 3rd Feb. 1882. He was single when he signed up on 7 January 1917. Married Agnes Archibald at Registrar's office, Napier 23 Jan. 1917. He resided at 58 Marine Parade, Napier and was a farm manager. His parents were Katherine and Herman Arnst, both born in Hanover, Germany. They were naturalised about 1886 in Christchurch. Parents came over about 45 years ago. Embarked from Wellington 21 Nov. 1917. Arrived Liverpool 8 Jan. 1918. Marched to Camp Sling and promoted to 2nd Corpl. 20th March left for France. 24th March Marched into Camp at Etaples. 4 May posted to 12 Coy in Field. Reverts to Ranks at own request. 51967 Private John Arnst  was killed in action 25 Aug. 1918, Co. C, 32nd Rfts, Canterbury Regt. by shell while scouting German positions in field in France. No will to date. Buried Grevillers Brit. Cem. France. 

Referee Wednesday 25 September 1918 page 10
Jack Arnst was a great rider. On the road, the world has never seen a better and what a fair opponent he was, always playing the game, doing his bit with those around him, whether on road or track, and the best man to win at the finish. As a rule it was the good-tempered, genial Jack, who prevailed, but his opponents did not begrudge him his successes. They would always acknowledge that Jack Arnst did more than his share of the pace to overhaul the men in front.

 Supplement to the Auckland Weekly News 29 April 1909 p006 Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19090429-6-4 The party which accompanied Mr Jack Arnst on his successful attack on the Christchurch-Dunedin road cycling record 12 hours and 21 minutes 14 April 1909. At the wheel of the Enfield 15-20hp car is Mr L. B. Young and next to him the organiser of the ride, Mr J. Bell, of Christchurch. At the rear are Mr S. D. Minn (Otago Witness) and Mr P. Braggon. In front are Mr W. Hendry, motorcycle pacer, Jack Arnst with a Bell racing bike and his brother Dick, the world's sculling champion, who also acted as a 4 cylinder F.N. motorcycle pacer.

Richard Arnst or Dick Arnst (28 Nov. 1883–1953)
Born Jacob Diedrich Arnst, was a New Zealand rower, six times Single Sculls World Champion. He culminated his cycling career by winning the Sydney Thousand in March 1906. The Sydney Thousand was a track race which carried a total prize purse of £1000 and thus was the richest track race in the world at that time. Only the very top cyclists were in the final held in Sydney. In 1934 Arnst bought a farm near Pleasant Point running sheep and cattle, and growing crops, in partnership with a brother. Two years later a Christchurch street, Arnst Place, was named after him. The Arnst River in the Nelson Lakes National Park is also named after him. In 1995 Arnst was inducted into the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame. He is buried in the Timaru Cemetery with his wife Amy. Died aged 70.

The Tourists' Road Race
Timaru's Bicycle Club

Timaru Herald, 20 May 1898, Page 3
A considerable number of people congregated at the Melville corner yesterday afternoon to watch the start for the Tourists' Bicycle Club's road race. The official starters and timekeepers were Messrs A. Bourne, E. Hassall, C. Wood, and A. Wilson. The men were sent away punctually, the first moving off at 2.30, in the following order Walton, 13min (29 1b machine) Lough, 12min (31 1b) Rodgerson, (26 1b), Bailey (271 b), and Thomson(31 1b), all 10min, Finlay (28 1b) and Gilchrist (29 1b) all 9min South (28 lb)and Gibson (26 1b) all 8min Stocker (30 1b), 2min O'Callaghan (28 1b), l min Orr (26 1b) 30sec W. Lane and Aker (26 1b), scratch. The race resulted in a win for Findlay (net time 1hr 2min 8sec), W. O'Callaghan being second (l hr 3min 26sec), Gibson third (l hr 3lmin 35sec), and Lane fourth (l hr 4min 30sec). The fastest time, including handicap, was made by O'Callaghan, a new rider, and he is to be warmly congratulated on his achievement, and his time may be looked upon as a record. Lane ran him very close, taking only four seconds longer; and had it not been for a spill on the town side of the Washdyke, when Lane, O'Callaghan and James Orr were riding together, a splendid race must have resulted, and the finish would probably have been different. Finlay turned out to be much better than was expected, few venturing so far as to prophesy victory for him. Gibson filled the position he was expected to, and should with time and experience turn out a good rider. From what could be learned from the riders, the roads were not of the best, and several spills occurred during the race.

ChCh to Leeston and back

Timaru Herald, 27 May 1898, Page 2
John Grant (9min), A. Craigie and H Aker (16min), and A. Stocker (17min), who are, we learn, all South Canterbury cyclists, have entered for the great Dunlop road race, which takes place at Christchurch to-morrow afternoon.

Timaru Herald, 31 May 1898, Page 3 Despite the wintry weather which prevailed on Saturday afternoon, the promoters of the Dunlop Road Race decided to hold that event at the time fixed, 1.61 p.m. The distance was fifty miles, the course, being from the Riccarton Hotel to Leeston and back.

Rover Road Race - Timaru to Christchurch

Timaru Herald, 17 October 1899, Page 2
Mr James, of the Dunlop Tyre Company, and Mr O. E. Duff, of Mason, Struthers and Co., Christchurch, were in Timaru yesterday making arrangements for the Rover road race, Timaru to Christchurch, on the 26th inst., entries for which close on Thursday (19th). The entries were to have closed yesterday, but a misprint on the entry forms made it necessary to extend the time, Messrs James and Duff were to define the route to be ridden, so that all riders may have an equal chance m that regard. The Timaru Tourist Club has charge of the arrangements at this end, and Dr Reid will be starter and timekeeper. The scratch man (the last to start) will leave the Bank of New Zealand corner at 8 a.m. the starting time of the first man will depend upon the handicapping, which will be done by Mr F. Pannell, a well known wheelman. Mason, Struthers and Co. are making very complete arrangements for receiving news in Christchurch of the progress of the riders from point to point. We are informed that about twenty entries have been made so far. The prizes are valuable, and the wheelmen of Canterbury will take a great interest in the contest.

Star 26 October 1899, Page 3
The Rover road race from Timaru to Christchurch, organised by Messrs Maison, Struthers and Co., was commenced at eight minutes to seven this morning, the time at which the limit man was despatched from Timaru. The prizes for the race are:— First prize, Imperial Rover bicycle, presented by Messrs Mason, Struthers and Co., value £26 second prize, marble clock, value £5, presented by Messrs Mason, Struthers and Co. third prize, trophy value £3 3s, presented by Mr A. Wildey special prize for the rider putting up fastest time, value £5, presented by the Dunlop Tyre Company special prize for fastest unplaced rider, value £2 10s, presented by proprietors of the New Zealand Cyclist. The arrangements in connection with the race are of the most complete order. An important feature of these is the victualling department arranged for by the Dunlop Tyre Company, and competitors will be able to obtain suitable refreshments at Rangitata, Ashburton, and Dunsandel. The best road riders in the colony are included amongst the starters. The route taken by the competitors will be along the South Road to Winchester, thence via Geraldine, the Rangitata Bridge to Tinwald, where the South Road is again joined and kept to for the remainder of the journey. The distance approximately is 112 miles. The following officials are in charge of the race:— Referee, Mr J. J. Kinsey; judges, Dr Palmer, Messrs J. R. Triggs and Geo. Harris; timekeeper, Mr Gus Jones; starter and timekeeper at Timaru, Dr Reid stewards and checkers Timaru, Mr W. Lawson Temuka, Mr J. Whelan Geraldine, Mr P. Burke Ashburton, Mr J. Muller Rakaia, Mr T. E. Austin representative of New Zealand Cyclists' Alliance, Dr Jennings.
    A telegram from Timaru states that rain fell there last night, but the weather is fine this morning, and that the following riders started A. Calder scr, A. Ralston scr, N. Ralston 3min, J. Orr 10min, M. Bennett 15min, J. Davidson 18min, T. Kirkwood 18min, C. C. Derrett, H. Amos and A. C. Duff 20min, C. A. Hollamby 30min, E. Willis, D. V. Grant and G. Henwood 35min, T. A. Park and J. Sanson Hes 40min, F. W. Jackson 44min, H. Sargisson 45min, G. Metcalf 47min, R. G. Forbes and W. H. Trengrove 50min; H. H. Chaplin and J. W. Simes 53min, J. Connell 55min, H. B. Free 56min, G. Sheldon 60min, G. Sauer 65min, and H. Brain 70min.
    At Temuka the men passed through. After about twenty-five miles riding Geraldine was passed through. Sauer had an accident to his front wheel, but managed to procure a new one and proceeded. All going well, weather glorious, roads good. A later message from Geraldine states that Ralston (presumably A. Ralston, the scratch man), had a puncture about half a mile north of Geraldine. With the assistance of his brother he repaired it, after which the pair proceeded at break-neck speed to overtake Calder and Orr. Rangitata (thirty-four miles from Timaru) was passed. Calder and Orr took the wrong road near Arundel, passing in front of Arundel School. "All in capital form and going gamely." Strong head wind blowing, which will impede their progress on the Plains. Amos punctured at Maronan and returned to Geraldine. Sauer left Ashburton 10.51 a.m. At Rakaia the order was: Park, Metcalf and Sauer, who passed at 12.2 p.m. At Rakaia Sauer, Park and Metcalf were riding together, well in advance of the other competitors. From here the roads were in a terribly cut-up condition, and this, coupled with the strong head wind, caused the riders to make comparatively slow progress. Near Dunsandel Sauer touched Park's wheel, and fell. Remounting, he was unable to overtake the other pair, who continued together for the remainder of the journey, pacing each other in a systematic and unselfish manner. Along the Riccarton Road they were accompanied by a large contingent of town riders. Two hundred and fifty yards from the finish by the hospital corner Metcalf shot out with a fast sprint and at once secured a break of fully ten yards. Park responded gamely, and gradually reducing the lead drew up level thirty yards from the tape. At this point Metcalf crossed over to where the crowd lined the road, with the result that Park was bored for a considerable distance and prevented from getting past. Metcalfe won by a bare wheel, but it is understood that Park will protest. The winner arrived at Christchurch at four minutes to three. No other riders were then in sight.

Timaru Herald, 28 October 1899, Page 3
The places were filled as follows
G. Metcalf, Geraldine (47min) 1
T. A. Park. Glenavy (40min) 2
G. Sauer, Waimate (65min) 3
J. Davidson, Ashburton (18min) 4
A. Ralston, Dunedin (ser.) 5
T. Kirkwood, Wanganui (18min) 6
J. Orr, Temuka (10m ) 7
The Dunlop Tyre Company's prize goes to Ralston, and the Cyclist to Orr. Ralston averaged 15½ miles per hour.

Dunlop - Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. of Australasia
Dunlop tyres first reached Australasia in 1889

The Company first started in Melbourne in 1892 as a branch of the parent Company in England. As the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co., of Australasia it was registered in 1899 and purchased the Australasian rights from the English Company. In 1905 the name was changed to Dunlop Rubber Co., of Australasia Ltd. The first pneumatic bicycle tyres to reach Australia arrived in Melbourne in 1889, and within two years, the Dunlop Company was established in Europe & North America (the first pneumatic bicycle tyres to reach N. America arrived in New York on Christmas Day, 1890). Since the bicycle was the popular form of transport, and Cycle Racing the most popular sport, the introduction of the pneumatic tyre was an unqualified success. In spite of this, the Dunlop Company ran into financial difficulties and decided to sell its overseas holdings. 

Evening Post, 16 September 1901, Page 5
14th September. The test race organised by the New Zealand branch of the Dunlop Tire Company to select a representative for the colony in the Warrnambool-to-Melbourne road race was held to-day on a course of fifty miles from Christchurch to Leeston and back. Nine started in the race. The wind was blowing from all points of the compass. A. Ralston, late of the Taieri, but now living at Invercargill, was the winner, with T. Clarkson second, twenty yards away.

Star 28 July 1902, Page 3
The following road riders have entered for the Dunlop Test Race, from Timaru to Christchurch, which takes place on Saturday next:— A. Ralston, A. Calder, W. Schwiegershausen, R. Council, J. Cornell, G. Standring, J. Arnst, R. Arnst, W. Syme, H. Holland and R. Scrimshaw. It has now been definitely decided to send two New Zealand representatives to the Warrnambool -Melbourne Road.

The road race promoted by the Dunlop Tyre Company for the purpose of selecting two representatives to represent this colony in the Warrnambool-Melbourne Road Race, which takes place next month, started this morning over a course from Timaru to Christchurch. A large crowd assembled in Timaru to witness the start, which took place at nine o'clock. The weather was fine in South Canterbury, and although rain fell last night the roads there were in first-class condition. Of the competitors whose names have already been published, W. Schwiegershausen and the Connell Brothers were non-starters. Messrs Grandi, Cotterill and Collins were stewards at Timaru, Messrs Hutton, Hassall and Crawshaw were timekeepers, and Mr H. Amos starter. Temuka (twelve miles), was reached at 9.33 a.m., Holland at that time leading from Ralston and Standring, the others close together, except Syme and Scrimshaw, who were three minutes in the rear. At Geraldine (twenty-one miles), which was reached at 10.11 a.m., the order was— Ralston, Standring, Calder, Arnst Ritchie and Holland, all together, Scrimshaw being thirteen minutes behind. Ashburton, fifty-nine males from the point of starting, was reached at 12.35 p.m. J. Arnst, R. Arnst, Calder and Ralston passed through but the other competitors stopped for refreshment. From Ashburton on the four leaders kept together until the finish. Rakaia was passed at 1.43 p.m., and Dunsandel at 2.35 p.m. Some distance beyond Hornby the racers were met by Christchurch riders, who returned with them. At this stage the Arnst Brothers were leading, with Ralston and Calder following in the order named. The pace was moderate, the riders evidently being satisfied to continue together and fight out the finish in a sprint. Three hundred yards from the destination, the Riccarton Hotel, where several hundred spectators were congregated, R. Arnst, who was leading, smartened up the pace and in another fifty yards he sprinted, with Ralston on his heel, and Calder and J. Arnst following in that order. Once over the railway lines Ralston made his effort, and, drawing up alongside the leader, a battle royal appeared imminent. Unfortunately Arnst swerved, and he collided heavily with Ralston, who, though temporarily checked, was able to continue his sprint to the finish. R. Arnst almost fell and lost his chance, whilst Calder vas also put slightly out of his course. Ralston maintained the premier position, and although Calder came at him off the last thirty yards, the southern crack won by over a length, J. Arnst being a good third. The time was 7hr 15min, which is 7min slower than the time recorded by Ralston in the Rover road race a few season's back, when he won the fastest-time prize. Messrs J. E. Green and F. E. Asquith acted as judges and timekeepers. Andrew Ralston, the winner, is a native of the Taieri, and is twenty -five years of age. He commenced racing four years ago, and has met with considerable success on both track and road.
    The Arnst Brothers are both young riders, who had previously been almost unknown as racing cyclists until ten days ago they rode from Cheviot to Christchurch in 5hr 50min. This stamped them as sturdy riders, and in to-day's event they showed remarkable staying powers, and quite held their own with their formidable and experienced opponents.

Christchurch to Dunedin record

At five o'clock this morning Jack Arnst, ex-champion road cyclist of Australasia, left the Christchurch post office on an attempt to break the road cycling record from Christchurch to Dunedin of 14hrs limit lately put up by A. Humm. Arnst was accompanied by Mr J. Bell, of Bell Bros., and his brother, Dick Arnst, the world's champion sculler, in a motor-car. Arnst is being paced by Mr W. Hendry, of Reynolds and Co., on a motor-bicycle. The morning was cold with a strong easterly wind blowing, when a start was made it was quite dark, and Arnst carried an acetylene lamp. He started off at a great pace, and reached Timaru at 10.11, thus reducing Humm's time by 44min. The weather is fine, and the roads as far as Timaru are reported to be in good order. Arnst passed the following points on the road at the times mentioned: Arnst passed through Palmerston South at 2.58 p.m., being 1 hr -32mm ahead of Humm's time. From Palmerston to Dunedin the distance is forty two miles, and it is anticipated that Arnst will arrive at Dunedin about 4.30. Arnst is one of the meet experienced bicycle road riders in Australasia. In August, 1902, the first year of the Dunlop road race from Timaru to Christchurch, Arnst finished third, having covered the 112 miles in 7hr 15min, which was the fastest time recorded. In July, 1903, he was second and again put up the fastest time for the same race, 7hr 25min. In August, 1903, Artist was the New Zealand representative in the Warrnambool to Melbourne road race, and finished first. His time was 7hr 43min for the 165 miles, which constituted a world's record. Again, in the same year, Jack Arnst put up the fastest time in the Sydney to Goulbourn road race, finishing first, with his brother Dick as runner-up. [That record was established on January 271908 by A. Humm, who covered the total road distance of 247 miles in 14hrs 1min. This was beaten yesterday by no less than an hour and 40 minutes, as Arnst negotiated the journey in 12hrs 21min.]

Star 28 April 1909, Page 3 JACK ARNST OFF AGAIN.
TO TIMARU. A large crowd assembled at the Christchurch Post Office at noon to-day to witness J. Arnst start off on an attempt to break his own cycling record to Timaru of 5hrs 11min. Arnst got away at ten minutes past twelve, accompanied by Messrs Bell Brothers motor-car and two motor-cyclists as pacers. Arnst expects to do the journey in about four hours and three quarters. Arnst only arrived from Akaroa last evening and had a very bad trip. No one had the slightest idea that he was going to attempt the ride until he walked into Messrs Bell Brothers' shop this morning and told them that he thought the weather conditions were very favourable and that the was going to start as soon as possible. Preparations were rapidly made, and by noon Arnst was equipped with two pacers and the same bicycle with which he lowered the Christchurch- Dunedin record. ASHBURTON, April 28. J. Arnst, arrived at Ashburton. this afternoon at nineteen minutes past two, or twenty one minutes better than his previous time. He states that the roads between Rolleston and Selwyn are rough, but the wind so far has been favourable.

Southland Times 5 October 1903, Page 2
The Warrnambool to Melbourne Road Race a distance of 163 miles was won by J. Arnst of N.Z. in 7 Hours 43 minutes from scratch, beating the previous record by one hour. Arnst rode a Red Bird machine, thus proving it to be best machine for road riding.


Ashburton Guardian, 1 June 1904, Page 3. The Timaru-Christchurch Road Race.
Christchurch, May 31 The following prizes have been allotted by the Dunlop Tyre Coy. for the Timaru - Christchurch Road Race which takes place on July 16th, to select New Zealand's representative for the Warrnambool-Melbourne race. First price—Motor cycle, by Messrs Oates Lowry and Co. Second prize—Choice of Red Bird cycle or Bell cycle, donated respectively by The Canada Cycle and Motor Co., Ltd., and Messrs Bell Bros., Christchurch. Third prize—Bell cycle or Red Bird cycle not chosen by second competitor. Fourth prize— £6 6s, by the League of New Zealand Wheelmen and Mr F. Coverdale. Fifth; prize— £5 5s, marble clock by Messrs Grierson and Daves. Sixth prize- £4 4s, by the Christchurch Cycling and Motor Club, the Pioneer Cycling and Athletic Club, and the "New Zealand Wheelman and Motor News." Seventh prize— £3 3s, by Messrs Speight and Co., Dunedin. Special prize—cheque £18 18s, and road championship, gold medal, value £5 5s, by the Dunlop Tyre Co. To competitors establishing the fastest time, such riders to represent New Zealand in the Warrnambool-Melbourne Road Race in August, a special prize in a Rover cycle will be given by Messrs, Inglis Bros, Wellington. The fastest competitor, receiving a fifteen minute start or over, not taking 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 6th positions or fastest time, a special prize of a cheque for £5 5s by Mr J.R. Clarkson, Palmerston North and Christchurch, for the fastest time. In addition to the above special prizes, the whole of the entrance money will be given to the riders establishing the fastest times (excepting the fastest competitor) at the rate of £15 5s each, in order that the colony may be represented in the Dunlop Warrnambool -Melbourne road race by a team of the fastest riders. These prizes be awarded in order of merit and in the event of any competitor being unable to take the trip,  the next fastest rider will have the opportunity.

THE COMPETITORS. 113 in number
J. Arnst (Christchurch)
R. Arnst (Tai Tapu)
A. Calder (Temuka)

20min J. Connell (Temuka)
25min W. J. O'Donnoll (Timaru)

S. Reynolds (Waimate)
C. Boulter (Temuka)
J. Spillane (Temuka)
W. Minns (Timaru)
W. T. Snowdon (Timaru)
Geo. Hawthorn (Cave)
J. W. Waldie (Timaru)
H. Williams (Waimate)
C. Cunningham (Waimate)
C.S. Gabites (Timaru)

P. M. O'Connor (Fairlie)
G. Carr (Makikihi)
J. McVey (Albury)

38 min
W. McIntosh (Temuka)
D. Tachan (Temuka)
Press, 18 July 1904, Page 3 113 competitors started.
The officially announced actual riding times:
C G. Smith 	6h 19min 2sec 
H. P. Arnst 	6 19  3
W. McKenzie 	6 29  3
W. Walsh 	6 31 57
H. Henderson 	6 36 30 

LAST YEAR'S RACE. The result of last year's race was: 
Riding 		Arrived. 	Time 		Place 
S. Barrow 	25min 3 29 30 	7 34 30 	1
J. Arnst 	15min 3 30 0 	7 25 0 		2* 
R. Arnst 	10min 3 37 0 	7 27 0 		3 
R. J. Arnst 	35min 4 12 45	8 27 45 	4
V. Ritchie 	20min 4 21 0 	8 34 0 		5 
H. P. Arnst 	31min 4 31 0 	8 45 0 		6 

*J. Arnst put up the fastest time. In 1899 G. Metcalfe (49min) covered the distance in 7hr 44lmin 45scc, and in 1902. A. Ralston (scr) made the journey in 7hr 34min 30sec. 


Wanganui Herald, 4 September 1905, Page 5
September 2. The Dunlop Road Race started from here this morning in wretched weather. Heavy rain, which set in yesterday morning, and is still continuing, made the roads in very bad condition. Notwithstanding the adverse conditions, 171 out of 276 started. Twenty-five competitors in the Timaru to Christchurch Dunlop road race finished, the first man, P.M. O'Connor (Cricklewood), arriving at 4.47, and the last at 6.30. The others straggled in at intervals afterwards. The roads in many places were soft and muddy, rain falling during the greater part of the distance. J. Arnst, the scratch man, arrived about 6.30. He was delayed on account of his small tyres sinking into the soft roads. The prize winners were: P. M. O'Connor (Cricklewood), 45 minutes, reducing the time to 6 hours 57 minutes, 1;
A. Humm ( Spredydon), 35min, 7 hours 12 minutes 9 seconds, 2;
F. H. Bell (Fairlie), 42min, 7hrs 22sec, 3;
G. Smith (Riccarton), 50min, 7hrs 40min 15sec, 4 ;
W. A. Bennett (Highbank), 45min, 7hrs 37min 25sec, 5;
G. N. Longford (Temuka), 42min, 7hrs 34min 43sec, special prize;
and H. Henderson (Palmerston North), 5min, 7hrs 7min 51sec, and these, with O'Connor, Henderson, Humm, and O. Neilson (Dannevirke), 23min, 7hrs 17min 8sec, Bell, and H. Lloyd (Wanganui), 23min, 7hrs 24min 25sec, who put, up the six fastest times will represent New Zealand in the Goulburn-Sydney and Warrnambool to Melbourne race in September. The competitors were entertained in the evening at a monster smoke concert in the Canterbury Hall, the Mayor of Christchurch presiding. Sir Joseph Ward and other distinguished visitors were present.

Star 1 September 1905, Page 3 A RECORD ENTRY 
Punctually at 9.45 to-morrow morning Mr Harry Amos, of Timaru, a well known sportsman and an ex-amateur champion, will start from the local post office the most notable cycling contest that has yet taken place in New Zealand. At the pistol flash twenty-eight riders, clad in racing costume and mounted on light racing wheels, will commence a self-imposed task they have been training for months. A few gigantic downward thrusts, and their wheels are at full speed, and at a gait approximating twenty miles an hour, they will "streak" for the goal at Christchurch, one hundred miles distant. Following at various intervals will come two hundred other competitors, the last of all being " Jack" Arnst, the incomparable of road riders, holder of New Zealand and Australasian and world's records, who, sitting patiently on his machine, will await the starter's signal until a full fifty minutes have elapsed since the leaders left. His seems a heart-breaking, hopeless task. In front will be two hundred and twenty-seven riders, representing the pick of New Zealand bone and muscle and "grit," some already nearly a score of miles ahead, and there are a hundred chances against the scratch man reaching Christchurch first. But Arnst has achieved the almost impossible before, and the more severe the road and climatic conditions, the more do his marvellous endurance and indomitable courage assert themselves. Two years ago, when the course was one of mud, slush and snow, and the competitors had to carry their machines for eight or nine miles, Arnst covered the hundred miles in less than seven and a half hours. A month later he accomplished an unparalleled achievement by winning the Warrnambool to Melbourne race (165 miles) in the world's record time of 7hr 43min. Arnst has undergone a special preparation this season and, win or lose, is certain to accomplish a great performance. Nearest to Arnst is C. G. Smith, the Hastings crack, who won the event last year in fine style. Other prominent entrants are those who have won the test races run in other parts of the colony to choose riders to represent their respective districts in to-morrow's race.
    Independent of these special entries there is no doubt that the 228 riders who have paid acceptance fees include the finest talent that has ever mounted wheel in a New Zealand cycle race. They are from all parts of New Zealand, and it can be taken for granted that the event will furnish a tremendous struggle from the time the riders leave the Timaru Post Office until the final circuit at the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club's track has been covered. The climatic conditions will not prevent a spirited contest from taking place. If the weather is fine the journey will of course, be traversed in much faster time than would otherwise be the case, but the stamp of Young New Zealander which enters for this class of contest will not be deterred from completing the course because the roads are muddy or because a biting wind or driving sleet may hinder and almost prevent progress. The Dunlop Company has, as usual, left no stone unturned in regard to the care of those who undertake this trying ordeal. Hot milk will be provided gratis at Rangitata arid Chertsey, also food bags, which the competitors can without dismounting clutch as they dash by the company's officials. The route will be from Timaru by way of Temuka, Winchester, Geraldine, Rangitata traffic bridge, Maronan Road, Tinwald, Ashburton, Chertsey, Rakaia, Dunsandel, Hornby, until reaching the railway crossing at Sockburn; competitors here turn to the right, keeping the railway on the left, going past the back of Sunnyside Asylum on to the Lincoln Road, turn down Lincoln Road toward Christchurch, and continue until the entrance of the Metropolitan Trotting Grounds is reached. Entering the grounds they will ride once round the track to finish the race.

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19050914-4-3  J.M Cormick Veterinary

WHAT THEY RIDE FOR. First Prize — Bohm Piano, model 4, valued 55gs, presented by the Dresden Piano Company.
Second Prize — Bell Cycle, presented by Messrs Bell Bros., and £8 3s by Mr A. Wildey.
Third Prize— Silent Flyer, patent short wheel-base cycle, presented by Messrs Truscott and Townshend and £1 1s by Mr F. W. Waller.
Fourth Prize— Centaur cycle presented by Mr J. B. Clarkson.
Fifth Prize — £5 5s presented by the Christchurch Cycle and Motor Club.
Sixth Prize— Breech-loading gun, presented by Messrs Barker, Spratt and Clark, Limited.
Seventh Prize—£3 3s presented by the Council of the League of New Zealand Wheelmen.
SPECIAL PRIZES. Cheque £20 and £5 5s road championship gold medal of New Zealand, presented by the Dunlop Tyre Company, of Australasia, Limited, and blue riband by Mr F. M'Clurg, for competitor establishing fastest time, such rider to represent New Zealand in the Goulburn-Sydney Road Race, September 16, and the Warrnambool-Melbourne Race, September 30, 1905.
    Royal Swift cycle, presented by the Adams Star Cycle Company, for the fastest competitor receiving half the limit handicap or over, and who does not win any other cycle.
    Massey, Harris cycle, presented by Messrs Magnus, Sanderson and Co., to the fastest unplaced competitor who does not win either first, second, third or fourth of any special prize.
    Fifteen guineas for second fastest time, £15 15s for third fastest time, £15 15s for fourth fastest time, £15 15s for fifth fastest time, £15 15s for sixth fastest time. Winners of these prizes also to represent New Zealand in Goulburn-Sydney race, September 16, 1905, and Warrnambool- Melbourne race, September 30, 1905. The whole of the entrance and acceptance fees, amounting to between £80 and £90, will be utilised in paying the expenses of riders to represent New Zealand in the Warrnambool to Melbourne road race. Five or six will, therefore, be sent.

THE WINNING POST. In order to prevent the blockade that has occurred in the road in past years the Dunlop Company has decided that the race shall finish in the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Grounds, and, while ladies will be admitted free, to make a small charge for male spectators. To fill in the time, while, the crowd is waiting for the riders to finish, a programme of  motor-car events has been arranged, including motor-car driving exhibitions. Two bands will be in attendance. The race will probably finish between 3.80 and four o'clock. 

THE MONSTER RUN. Taking advantage of the exceptional interest aroused in cycling matters on the day of the Timaru to Christchurch Road Race, local cycling clubs have organised a monster cycle and motor run, as a demonstration to emphasise their demands for good roads. The affair has been organised on such a scale as has never been previously attempted in New Zealand, and, if the weather is favourable, a gigantic procession of cycles and motor vehicles will be seen. Every participant in the procession will wear the motto "We want good roads," and will receive a numbered tickets entitling him to a chance in the following free distribution of prizes: — First prize, value £8 8s, presented by Messrs S. Manning and Co.
Second prize, value £5 5s, presented by Mr F. T. Pannell.
Third prize, value £3 3s, presented by Messrs J. Ballantyne and Co.
Fourth prize, value £2 2sjpresented by Messrs J. Bates and Co.
Fifth prize, presented by Messrs Jones and Sons. There is also a prize of £2 2s for the most suitably inscribed banner carried in the parade. The procession will assemble in Victoria Square, and proceed by way of Armagh Street, Montreal Street and Lincoln Road to the Metropolitan Trotting Grounds, leaving at 2.15 p.m.

A large contingent of the competitors left for Timaru by the second express train to-day.
Timaru, September 1. Rain set in here this morning, and the prospects for the Dunlop Road Race to-morrow are very unfavourable.

Press, 4 September 1905, Page 8 At the various turns and corners along the track from Hornby to the trotting ground, knots of people had assembled, all anxious to witness the arrival of the first man. An official had been placed at the Sockburn corner, where the riders left the main road and it was at that spot that the largest number had gathered, and a representative of "The Press" waited there to see the men pass. It was not until twenty minutes past, four that the leading competitor, P. M. O'Connor, came in sight, a muddy object on a muddy bicycle, but riding strongly, and to all appearance as fresh as when he had started. After a further wait of twenty minutes, A. Humm, of Spreydon, appeared, evidently somewhat distressed, for his pedalling was weak and Languid. He was followed three minutes afterwards by F. H. Bell, of Fairlie, whose face, body, and machine were smothered in mud, the number on his back being quite obscured. G. Smith, of Riccarton, riding somewhat weakly, arrived at the Sockburn corner at 4.48, and there was no further competitor until five minutes past five, when W. A. Bennett, of Highbank and G. N. Langford, of Temuka, each riding well, arrived within a short distance of each other.


Otago Witness, 29 August 1906, Page 56
The following handicaps have been declared for the Christchurch -Timaru Dunlop Road Race —

J. Arnst (Geraldine) scr, [6h 17m 41 sec]
P.M. O'Connor (Cricklewood) 5min [6 20 42]
H. P. Arnst (Ashburton; 5min [6 23 0]
John Conaell (Temuka) 20min
C. Boulter (Temuka) 20min
W. Cameron (Temuka) 20mim
F.H. Arnst (Ladbrooks) 23min
E. O'Connor (Cave) 28min
A. Irving (Albury) 28min
S. Irving (Albury) 28min
J. Irving (Albury) 28min
R. Rogers (Timaru) 30min
C. Hansen (Geraldine) 30min
George McKay (Cricklewood) 30min
W T. Staples (Temuka) 31min
G. Cowan (Timaru) 31min
W. Cole (Timaru) 31min
H. O'Neill (Geraldine) 31min
J. C. Trumper (Temuka) 31min
A. McKay (Cricklewood) 31mim
J. A. Munro (Timaru) 31min
W. J. Grant (Timaru) 31min
H. H. Lethwick (Timaru)
T. Grelish (Temuka) 32min
George Miller (Rangitata Island) 32min
J. Courtney (Timaru) 32mim
F. P. J. Kelly (Timaru) 32min
H. Riki (Temuka) 32min
L. Young (Winchester) 32min
W. Wilson (Makikihi) 32min
A. W. Smith (Temuka) 32mm
G. E. Burrell (Timaru) 32min
W. Taylor (Temuka) 32min
J. W. Waldie (Timaru) 34min
P. O'Connor (South Canterbury) 34min
W. Davies (Geraldine) 34min
G. E. Bray (Cricklewood 34min
J. R. Burness (Timaru) 34min
E. P. Williams (Temuka) 34min
P. Naughton (Albury) 34min
S. Laurenson (Pleasant Point) 34min
H. Pelvin (Studholme) 34min
A. C. Burgess (Cricklewood) 34min
W. Taverner (Orari) 34min
C. M'Donald (Geraldine) 34min
W. Hansen (Geraldine) 35min
A. Templar (Geraldine) 35min
E. Frew (Geraldine) 35min
J. Corbett, jun. (Cricklewood) 35min
J. Ramnssen (Geraldine) 35min
W. Traves (St. Andrews) 35min
B. Pointon (Temuka) 35min
E. Slow (Fairlie) 36min
J. Tozer (Timaru) 38min  [6hr 42 49]
R. R. Travers (Timaru) 38min
M. Melccalfe (Rangitata) 38min.

1 Nov. 1908 Otago Witnes


Star 28 January 1909, Page 1
The Christchurch-Dunedin cycling record has for years been one of the classic road records of the dominion, the length of the route being great and including a large amount of hill climbing work. To complete the journey from Christchurch. to Dunedin in one day, leaving record-breaking out of the question, calls for powers of endurance and fortitude which are not possessed by the average cyclist. The record made by Andrew Calder of 18hr 20min for the 247 miles of road was therefore allowed to stand for some ten years without tempting further aspirants to cycling fame. Yesterday, however, a successful attempt was made upon the record by A. Humm, a twenty-six-year-old cyclist, resident in Christchurch, and although some proportion of his success was undoubtedly due to the excellent organisation of his pacing and his food supplies, the time in which the distance was covered was such a vast improvement upon the previous record as to stamp Humm as one of the finest road riders the dominion possesses. The feeding and pacing arrangements were organised by the Dunlop Rubber Company, and Mr Barron. Humm rode a bicycle weighing 221b, fitted with road-racing tyres. The first puncture occurred at Fairfield, and between Otaio and Oamaru three punctures were sustained by the cyclist, each taking about ten minutes to repair. His performance yesterday of 14hrs l min for 247 miles works out at an average of about eighteen miles an hour, and this includes forty minutes of stoppages caused by punctures.

Star 30 January 1909, Page 4
From Rangitata to Timaru the way lay through the beautiful wooded country of Geraldine, where the Road Board has a conscience, and the roads are as level as a billiard table. This portion of the journey was taken at an average pace of over twenty-one miles an hour, and the last section, the thirteen miles between Temuka and Timaru, was covered in thirty minutes, or at the almost sprinting pace of twenty-six miles per hour. The stiff .hills just to the north of Timaru were treated by Humm as if they were flat, his pace scarcely slackening for a moment. The journey from Christchurch to Timaru was made in shr 55min, twenty-two minutes faster than the competition record for the course.
    At Timaru the car stopped for about ten minutes to take in petrol, but Humm and one of his pacers stopped only a moment or two. A curious incident occurred while passing Geraldine (to revert for a moment). Andrew Calder, the holder of the record Humm was beating, came cycling slowly along, on a comfortable roadster, and shouted to Humm, "I wish you good luck." It was a sportsmanlike sentiment, and it does Calder credit.
    The journey from Timaru, over the hills and downs of Kingsdown, as far as Otaio, was uneventful. On the way we saw the Dunedin-bound express rush scornfully past, but we did not mind. We were not out to beat the express. After Otaio came troubles thick and fast. The road was strewn with road metal, and before Oamaru was reached thirty minutes had been wasted in repairing punctures, putting Humm seventeen minutes behind the schedule mapped out for an eighteen miles-an-hour run, which had hitherto been more than kept to.


Star 29 April 1909, Page 4. J. ARNST'S SUCCESS
Timaru. April 28. Since J. Arnst established new records between Christchurch and Dunedin some days ago he has been anxious to further reduce the time he established between Christchurch, and Timaru, and it was his intention to attempt a new record on Tuesday, but he was prevented from doing so as he was unable to return from Akaroa, where he has been for the last few days looking after the shipping of his brother's boat to Wanganui. He returned by the Cygnet on Tuesday night, after a very rough passage, and made up his mind at a minute's notice yesterday to try to beat his previous best time from Christchurch to Timaru, which, stood as the record. As the weather from the Christchurch end looked most favourable, after a harried consultation with supporters and pacers, arrangements were completed within, an hour and a half for the trial. Arnst left the Christchurch Post Office at 12.10 p.m. He had as pace makers Messrs W. Hendry and P. Braggin, whilst Messrs J. Bell and E. H. James accompanied the rider in Messrs Bell Bros. motor-car to look after the wants of the inner man. Needless to say, the car was amply provided with all the necessaries required for such an undertaking. A goodly crowd had gathered at the time of starting. The pacemakers were sent away half a minute ahead, to avoid traffic interference, and they picked up the rider at the Hospital. No sooner had he trailed his pacemakers than they made the pace a "cracker," as the time show, and the ride was completed in 4 hours 50 minutes. The story of the ride needs telling to make it sufficiently graphic for one to realise the performance at its true value. To sit in a car, touch a lever for fast or slow, as the occasion warranted, and watch a human form pedalling along; at express speed in front of one who was enjoying the full luxury of up-to-date travelling, beggars description. Mile after mile the record breaker raced, along, sometimes following his pacers as if glued to them, and where the road were not suitable for following pace he sped along "on his own" quite clear of pacemakers, as the risk of falls over the rutty, unformed road was too great. The time to Ashburton is phenomenal, as can be realised when it is known that an average pace of over 24 miles an hour was maintained, and this, in spite of having to cross some fifty odd water-races, where the pace had to be slackened and picked up again, a river-bed such as the Selwyn, and a railway bridge such as spans the Rakaia River. Such checks mean a great cutting down of the average. Arnst was timed over certain portions of the road, and was riding at the rate of over thirty miles an hour. The roads generally were in nothing like as good a condition as when he established his fine Dunedin ride, as the clay surface between Rolleston and Dunsandel was very much cut up with cart ruts, which had baked hard, and similar or worse conditions, were met with between the Hinds and Rangitata. Sheep had been travelling over this portion whilst the roads were in a soft condition. Fair winds were met with up to Hinds. Here one of the pacers punctured a tyre, and from Hinds on the wind was more against than with the record-breaker. A fair number of Timaru residents had gathered to welcome the rider, and he received a hearty cheer as he crossed the line 21 minutes ahead of his previous best ride, and 65 minutes ahead of the time established by any other rider. Arnst had no misfortunes on the road whatever. He dismounted at Rangitata for six minutes to look after his craving appetite and to prepare for his final burst over the last thirty-three miles. He rode a Bell cycle, fitted with road-racing Dunlop tyres which were untouched over the whole journey. Arnst's average for the whole course works out at 23 miles an hour, which his friends consider highly satisfactory. The following is a record of his times on the road:  

Star 16 October 1909, Page 5
J. Waldie, of South Canterbury, while training for the Timaru to Christchurch road race, was rather badly hurt through the front forks of his machine breaking. Waldie fell very heavily, and it will be a week before he will be able to work. J. Tozer, the South Canterbury rider, will not be a starter in the road race from Timaru to Christchurch, owing to his not having time to train.  


Feilding Star, 8 September 1911, Page 4
Timaru, September 6. The Dunlop road race from Christchurch, to Timaru (112 miles) was won by W. C. Prebble (Christchurch) 35min. handicap; E.A. Slow (Fairlie) 35min., 2; T. Coleman (Marshlands) 26min., 3. A. Wallace (Mataura) 25min., W. Garrett (Hornby) 28min., H. H. Gunderson (Christchurch) 29min, and 15. E. Nyland (Orari) 26min, were the other prize-winners. The next in order came H. Galletley (Ashburton), P. Gillespie (Foxton), P. Humm, G. C. Englefield, H. Henderson, H. O'Shead. The scratch men came as follows: O'Shea 14th, J. Coulter 16th, A. B. L. Smith 29th, J. Clark 53rd, P. O'Shea (Christchurch), made the fastest time, 5hrs. 37min 31sec, and J. Coulter (Woodville), scr., the second fastest time with 5hrs 37min 41sec. A very large crowd assembled to see the finish of the race. O'Shea had a bad fall at Temuka. Prebble was one of a small party of leaders at Ashburton, and kept his lead all the way. This is his third attempt in the Dunlop race. He is 22 years of age, slim, and weighs 9st 91b.  A moderate, cold head wind had to be faced in the first half. The roads were generally good, but some were soft in places. The dry weather and traffic had loosened the shingle. About 60 finished within an hour. The first, second and third men rode "Dunlops." The race was run under favourable weather conditions and attracted great interest throughout New Zealand. One hundred and seven riders started, seventy finishing, forty-eight of whom will receive time medallion.  


Marlborough Express, 26 September 1912, Page 4
One hundred, and four riders started in the road race from Timaru to Christchurch to-day. The weather was very fine and a 15-knot southerly breeze was blowing. The roads were in splendid order. Progress reports show that the riders are making fast time.

2011 road bikes. 

The Cycling Craze in Canterbury  

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

Mankind has to forge ahead. It's a hard road, and you can't do it in felt slippers. Hobnail boots are the thing - plenty of hobnails.