Timaru Herald Monday 23rd January 1899
Death - On Sunday, 22nd, January, at Holme Station, Pareora, Edward Elworthy, in his 63rd year. The deceased gentleman, who, we understand, had suffered for some time from heart trouble, became suddenly ill at a late hour on Saturday night, and breathed his last shortly after 2 o'clock yesterday morning, ere his medical adviser, who had been urgently sent for to Timaru, had arrived. Mr Elworthy was in town on Saturday, apparently in pretty good health, and started to drive to his station at about 5 o'clock in the afternoon. The funeral of the deceased gentleman will take place Tuesday 24 January 1899, leaving Pareora Cottage, Timaru at 3 o'clock for the Timaru Cemetery.
Timaru Herald Tuesday 24 January 1899
page 3 column 3 & 4
The late Mr Edward Elworthy, who was a native of Wellington, Somersetshire, England, [left England in 1862] came over from Queensland to New Zealand in 1864. He left England for Queensland with a view of taking up sheep-farming, but after staying there a short time hearing of New Zealand and that it was a probably better colony for him to make a home in, he came over and liked the place so well that he stayed. He came to South Canterbury and bought Mr Harris's share in Pareora Estate, previously held by Messrs Harris and Innes. Pareora Estate was, in those days, comparatively speaking, only a small amount of freehold, the rest of the land being run. Eventually bought out Mr Innes' share and became the sole owner. He added very largely to it by purchase, and in 1891 he purchased Craigmore, the adjoining station, from Mr Burt, of Dunedin. Mr Elworthy went thoroughly into the pursuit of sheep-farming, and so improved Pareora year by year, in putting substantial buildings on it, bringing the land under cultivation, tree-planting and fencing, that it is today one of the finest and most easily worked stations in the colony. He did not, however, confine his energies to his own land. He took a deep interest in all matters pertaining to local government and was at the time of his death chairman of the Waimate County Council, a local body that ranks among the first in importance in South Canterbury. He was also an enthusiastic worker on the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, his wide and practical experience among sheep being of greatest assistance to its members. He was also, if we remember rightly chairman of one of the annual agricultural conferences, and a liberal support of all matters relating to pastoral and agricultural purists. He was one of the first to move in establishing the frozen meat trade here, being a chief shareholder and chairman of the South Canterbury Refrigerating Company. On one of his trips Home he made it a special duty to enquire fully into the trade, and on his return imparted valuable information which went in the direction of putting the industry on a firmer and more satisfactory basis than it had previously laid. In harbour matters, too, he took deep interest, being at one time a member of the Harbour Board; and as founder, member and committeeman of the South Canterbury Acclimatisation Society did invaluable work in the introduction of fish and game. In pure sport he was an enthusiastic supporter and well-wisher, and it was mainly due to his enthusiasm that his eldest son, Mr Arthur Elworthy, became Master of the South Canterbury Hunt Club. The many who have visited the Club Steeplechase Meetings in Pareora will remember how delighted he was when they were a success. Mr Elworthy leaves a widow and three sons and four daughter (his eldest being Mrs Melville Jameson, of Ceylon) to mourn his loss; and we are sure that the deepest sympathy of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances will go out to them in their sad bereavement. As marks of sympathy flags were at half-mast on the harbour staff, and other places yesterday, and the Dead March was played on the organ at St Mary's Church at the evening service on Sunday. The funeral of the deceased gentleman will take place this afternoon, leaving Pareora Cottage, Timaru, at 3 o'clock for the Timaru Cemetery.
Gisborne Herald Tuesday, January 13, 2004
ELWORTHY, Peter Herbert age 68
Knight Batchelor (1988) of Craigmore, South Canterbury. On Sunday, January 11, 2004, suddenly at Wanaka. Beloved husband of Fiona Elworthy; son of the late Harold and June Elworthy; children Charles, Forbes (b. 1962), Josephine and Eve, and five grandchildren. The funeral service will be held at St Mary's Church, Timaru, on Friday, January 16, at 1 p.m., followed by the burial at the Timaru Cemetery, Domain Avenue, and afterwards at Craigmore. All welcome. The family encourages donations in memory of Sir Peter to the St Mary's Church Restoration Trust, 24 Church Street, Timaru, rather than flowers.
Sir Peter was born to lead. He came from a family of early South Canterbury runholders who had produced generations of public-spirited citizen. He was someone who had vision, and was incredibly capable of wielding and working in a team environment for the benefit of the particular project that he was doing, a strong supporter of sensible, common-sense market policies and a passionate New Zealander.
Sir Peter held a number of directorships in the farming industry and received his knighthood for services to agriculture. He was the chairman of the Sustainability Council lobbying for the Government to maintain the GM moratorium (the anti-GE campaign) and chairman of the Opuha Dam (near Fairlie) partnership. Educated at Christ's College and Lincoln University, Sir Peter Elworthy held a number of substantial directorships in the last 25 years primarily in the farming and agriculture industry. He was chairman of the independent directors of the Reserve Bank until 1999, founding chairman of Ravensdown Fertiliser, and president of Federated Farmers in the mid 1980s. He pioneered the New Zealand Deer Farmers' Association in the early 1970s and served on many boards including Enerco, Huttons, Skellerup and Sky City.
In November 2007 Opuha chairman Mr Tom Lambie paid tribute to the late Sir Peter Elworthy who was chairman of the dam company. "I always remember in particular the work he did after the dam collapse with the farmers down the river. I've often thought that was Sir Peter's finest hour."
Sir Peter's brother Jonathon Elworthy was the Minister of Lands in the last three years of the Muldoon government .
Timaru Herald 22 May 2006
A new Elworthy running Craigmore
A 140-year connection between the Elworthy family and Craigmore Station continues with Forbes Elworthy's return to the farm. Mr Elworthy, his wife Bridget and three children returned late last year. He has spent two decades overseas as an Oxford and Harvard student, financial trader and software entrepreneur. For many Craigmore is more than a farm. It is synonymous with the community input of Sir Peter and Lady Fiona Elworthy, evocative limestone and cabbage tree landscapes, Maori archaeology, covenant areas including Moa Valley and the south branch of the Pareora River. Forbes Elworthy left Christ's College always intending to farm. He had a cadetship on Dunrobin Station in Southland and then gained a Lincoln University degree. He was a under-21 representative rugby player helped which him gain a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford in 1986. He completed a Masters of Business Administration at Harvard. The next seven years meant longer hours, and hard work as he lived in inner London and traded billions in bonds and derivatives. Mr Elworthy's trading background helped form Credit Market Analysis in 2001, the business now had its own momentum. It provides software to help traders buy and sell. After several years of stress and uncertainty the business has London and New York offices and 40 staff and "a life of its own". Since his return in December Craigmore had changed from deer to more sheep and Aberdeen. Stocking numbers were up and a 10km fencing programme to create another 40 paddocks has started. Mr Elworthy said coming home was primarily for family reasons and to give his children the childhood he had enjoyed. The 1800ha operation includes land leased from the Redwood family and his brother Charles's adjacent Cleveland property. With natural springs, a good mix of sunny and shaded aspect it is "sweet country" running 15,000 stock units. Craigmore retains a hint of an earlier era. Six staff including four families live on the farm and a stream of travellers work for lodging. Craigmore homestead remains a focal point of the farm and a family home.
Edward and Sara's descendants still farm parts of his holding in Gordon's Valley known as "Caigmore."
June 2011 Craigmore the 4000ha sheep, cattle and deer farm runs 6000 romney sheep. It breeds its own replacements and produces meat and wool. It also runs breeding cows and rears the replacements and breeding hinds for venison production. Craigmore also receives 10 per cent of its income through pheasant shooting. The staff release about 2500 pheasants. About 60 per cent of them fall to the gun each year. Craigmore's fodder beet, kale and italian ryegrass crops are fed to their livestock over winter to meet production targets. The weaners are currently getting baleage fed out and will be fed silage and barley over winter. Deer were a good match for fodder beet because they were self-regulated eaters. Unlike cattle, they did not gorge themselves.
The large Craigmore two storey homestead constructed of heart rimu in 1906 with stables nearby was designed by the architect Hurst Seagar for Herbert and Gladys Elworthy. The planning of the garden and the trees was the work of Alfred Buxton. Social changes caused by the war led Harold and June Elworthy to alter the homestead in 1947. The wing housing the servants' quarters was removed and a garden was created on the sheltered west side. Also a sunny terrace was developed where the smoking room stood. Craigmore is Gaelic for the large limestone cliffs. Later the home of the family of Peter and Fiona Elworthy.
Edward ELWORTHY b. in 1836, educated at Wellington College, married Sara Maria Sharrock in England. They had 11 children, four of whom died in infancy. Sara Elworthy died in 1933 at Timaru.
1. Arthur Stanley Elworthy b. 1874 m. at the Christchurch Cathedral on the 13th April 1900, Ella Caroline Julius, third daughter of the Right Rev. Dr. Julius, Bishop of Christchurch. Ella was b. 1880 in Islington, Middlesex, UK. Sister to Bertha. Children:
a. Elizabeth Elworthy
b. John Churchill Elworthy
2. Herbert Elworthy m. Gladys Cleveland, built the present Craigmore homestead in 1906.
3. Edith Rachel b. 13 August 1869 at Pareora. A spinster. Died in 1951.
4. Edward James Elworthy b. 4 June1871 at Pareora
5. Ethel Mary Elworthy b.10 October 1876 at Pareora
6. Emily Constance Elworthy b.15 Nov. 1879 at Pareora, m. William Nathaniel Caroln Bond in 1900
7. Percy Ashton Elworthy b.1881 Timaru m. Bertha Victoria Julius (b.1886) 1908. Her parents were Churchill Julius b. in Richmond, Surrey, UK and Alice Frances Rowlandson b. c1845 in Madras, India. Churchill Julius was the second Bishop of Christchurch, NZ 1 May 1890-1925, Primate & First Archbishop of New Zealand 1902-1925. His biography A Power in the Land: Churchill Julius, 1847-1938, published 1971 was written by Anthony & Gertrude Elworthy. Percy died in 1961. Children:
a. Janet Mildred Elworthy
b. Anthony (Tony) Churchill Elworthy
c. Antoinette Elworthy
d. Alice "Diana" (Di) Elworthy married Mr J. G. Wilson s/o Mr & Mrs H. Wilson, Burleigh Station, Bulls Feb. 1940
e. Samuel (Sam) Charles Elworthy b. 1911, m. Audrey Hutchinson in 1936
8. Olive Muriel Elworthy b. 11 Feb. 1883 PareoraVessel REMUERA Departed: Plymouth Arrived: Lyttelton 06 May 1919 ELWORTHY, P: Male Capt. Age: 38 Occupation: British Army PoB: British Possession ELWORTHY, B V: Female Mrs Age: 32 Occupation: Housewife PoB: British Possession ELWORTHY, S: Male Master Age: 8 PoB: British Possession ELWORTHY, A Male Master Age: 6 PoB: British Possession ELWORTHY, A: Miss Age: 5 PoB: British Possession Source Archives NZ reference: BBAO 5552/6a page: 147
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Birth: abt 1881 - New Zealand
Arrival: 8 May 1923 - New York, New York
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Percy Ashton Elworthy
Birth: abt 1882 - New Zealand
Departure: Southampton, England
Arrival: 8 Feb 1927 - New York, New York
Timaru Herald Friday 27 Dec. 1872 page 3
Birth. Oct. 14, at Pilstone House, Llandogo, Monmouthshire, the wife of E. Elworthy, Esq., of a son.
Timaru Herald, 16 January 1874, Page 2
Arrived - January 3 - Claud Hamilton, s.s., 662 tons, Bowden, from Melbourne, via Bluff. passengers - Mr and Mrs Elworthy, 3 children and 2 servants.
The Standard (London, England), Wednesday, April 29, 1874; pg. 6 Death
Elworthy - Feb. 12, at Timaru. Frederick Charles, second son of Edward Elworthy, Esq., aged 16 months.
Timaru Herald 27 July 1874
Birth. Elworthy - On July 26th, the wife of Edward Elworthy, of Pareora, of a son.
Evening Post, 3 June 1911, Page 4
The first shipment of frozen meat from Canterbury was taken Home on 8th April, 1883, by the steamer British King. The consignment totalled 6198 carcasses of sheep and lambs, and the following gentlemen were the pioneer consignors: �
Messrs John Grigg (3541 carcasses)
Jos. Haydon (99)
Hay Bros. (94)
R. H. Rhodes of South Canterbury (135)
J. C. Wason, (130)
R. Chapman (70)
M. Studholme (186)
Dudley and Northey (173)
J. T. Matson (125)
H. Overton (88)
John Hurst (101)
J. Gough (l9)
W. Postlethwaite (67)
J. Deans (239)
T. B. Howson (47)
New Zealand and Australian Land Company (480)
J. Ruddenklau (70)
E. Elworthy (47)
New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company (150).
Otago Witness, 25 January 1894, Page 14 THE SOUNDS EXCURSION.
The following passengers were booked for the first excursion this season to the West Coast Sounds, the s.s. Tarawera which left Port Chalmers on Wednesday :� Mr E. Elworthy , Mrs Elworthy, Mr A. Elworthy , Miss Elworthy, Mr J.T. Teschmaker, (Timaru, New Zealand)....
Evening Post, 26 July 1895, Page 2
Albany, This Day. Arrived � R.M.S. Oceana, from London. Passengers for New Zealand� Messrs. Viltiers and Barber, Miss Elworthy.
Otago Witness, 18 June 1886, Page 8
WRECK OF THE SHIP LYTTELTON AT TIMARU
The ship Lyttelton was built at Port Glasgow in 1878 by Messrs R. Duncan and Co., and launched in March of that year. The Lyttelton is lying with her rails under water, the sea breaking over the poop ; nothing can be done. The Lyttelton arrived at Port Chalmers on May 2nd from London, and after transhipping some 30 tons of gunpowder, was towed to Dunedin on May 5, where she discharged cargo. She then took in 966 bag of oats, 647 bales of wool, 840 bags of flour, 40 bales rabbitskins, 9 bales sheep- skins, 23 casks tallow, 88 casks oil, 34 tins boiler composition, 21 quarter-casks and 19 cases of whisky ; and was towed to sea on May 25, proceeding to Timaru where she took in some 9000 frozen sheep and some wool. All the sheep except those sent by Mr E. Elworthy (a thousand) from this port are insured.
JOTTINGS FROM THE COUNTRY.
Otago Witness, 17 October 1889, Page 10
A cross road leads to Claremont, a nice district behind Timaru, and over a spur to the Pareora river. Just across the river lies the extensive estate of Mr E. Elworthy. This estate, comprising about 40,000 acres of freehold and 14,000 leasehold, lies chiefly on a limestone belt. The estate is known as Holme Station. It is one of the very largest estates in South Canterbury, and one of the best for uniformity good soil. About 50,000 sheep are grazed on the estate, both merinos and crossbreds. A big trade is done in the freezing business, the result of last season's fattening being 7000 carcasses sent to the London market. The station produced 900 bales of wool last season, and the sheep are looking well this year, giving promise of a good clip of wool. A stud flock of merinos is kept on the estate. The homestead stands in the midst of an extensive plantation near the banks of the Pareora river, and for miles on either hand stretch low downs and undulating ridges, all swathed in the beautiful verdure of spring grass. With Holme Station we bid good-bye to the limestone formation till Waimate is passed on the southward route. The Pareora district on the north side of the river contains some splendid farms, the land gently sloping towards the sea, and being exceptionally good all the way down. Along the river valley there is also some good flat land, but here and there the shingle comes too near the surface. Occasional homesteads, like oases in the desert, appear, but in the main the country around is all held in large blocks.
Timaru Herald Monday 24th August 1891
Marriage: BABER-ELWORTHY - On the 17th August, at Napier, H.B., by the Dean of Waiapu, Francis Villiers, youngest son of John Baber, Esq., M.D., Meopham, Kent, England, to Alice Maude, oldest daughter of Edward Elworthy, Esq, Pareora, Timaru.
Otago Witness, 6 May 1897, Page 29
Jameson - Baber On the 31st March, at Hatton, Deckoya, Ceylon, A. Melville Jameson, of Wewesse, Badulla, Ceylon, to Alice Maude Baber, daughter of Edward Elworthy, Pareora.
Otago Witness, 15 June 1899, Page 51
The engagement has just been announced of Miss Ethel Elworthy, "Pareora," Timaru, to Mr Bond,' of Nelson province.
Otago Witness, 17 August 1899, Page 37
The South Canterbury Hunt Club's annual Steeplechase meeting, to conclude the season, was held at Mr Elworthy's Holme station, Pareora, on Thursday, and passed off very pleasantly. The weather was fine, the attendance fair, and the sport good. There were a good many falls, but no one was hurt. The principal event was won by Mr M. Orton's Dugald, Mr Elworthy's Sam second, Mr Austin's Tommy third. Four others started. Mr Orton is the club's huntsman, and his win was a popular one.
Otago Witness, 7 September 1899, Page 51
The engagement is announced of Miss Ella Julius, daughter of Bishop Julius, Christchurch, to Mr Arthur Elworthy, "Pareora," Timaru.
Timaru Herald Saturday 4 November 1899 pg2
Mr Arthur Stanley Elworthy, having been duly nominated and being the only candidate, is elected as representative of the Upper Pareora riding of the Waimate County Council.
Star 9 April 1898, Page 4
WEDDING AT THE CATHEDRAL.
ELWORTHY� JULIUS. The marriage of Miss Ella Caroline Julius, third daughter of the Right Reverend Dr Julius, Bishop of Christchurch, to Mr Arthur Stanley Elworthy, of Timaru was celebrated at the Cathedral yesterday afternoon. The bride, who was escorted by her father. The bride's train was borne by Miss Bertha Julius, the four other bridesmaids being Misses Julius and Elworthy, and Misses Muriel Elworthy and Ada Julius, all of whom wore dresses of soft white Liberty satin, gracefully draped with scarves of pale rose-pink chiffon. Their large hats of black velvet were trimmed with black chiffon, ostrich feathers, and touches of rose-pink chiffon. The bridegroom was attended by four groomsmen � Messrs Teschemaker, Bernard Tripp, M. Harper and P. Elworthy. The marriage ceremony was performed by Bishop Wallis, assisted by Canon Harper, the bride being given away by her father. During the afternoon the Bishop and Mrs Julius entertained a very large number of guests at Bishopscourt. (they received seven silver butter dishes as wedding presents plus a lot of other silver)
Otago Witness, 31 December 1902, Page 46
The colonial stand in Whitehall, erected for viewing the Coronation procession and also the procession which was to have taken place on the day following, was well filled on Saturday last, when the postponed profession did take place. Visitors from all the colonies were there; and so far as I could see there was not a vacant seat. Among New Zealanders present I saw: Mr Acton Adams, Mr A. S. Elworthy, the Misses Kennaway...
Otago Witness, 21 October 1903, Page 47
There were about 20 members present at the special general meeting of the Canterbury Jockey Club, held on Thursday, the chair being occupied by the president (Mr G. G. Stead). The following new members were elected: � Messrs W. Barrett, L. Clark, W. B. Clarkson, jun., John Coop, W. B. Cowlishaw, John Deans, H. Elworthy, P. A. Elworthy, E. D. Giles, C. Hill, A. M. Jameson, D. F. Knight, R. Latter, J. D. Millton, M. O'Brien, F. J. Savill, C. F. Todhunter, and L. Wilson.
Otago Witness, 30 March 1904, Page 49
Land Sales � Mr John Ford, of Mount Neessing, has bought 4000 acres of land from Mr Elworthy. It is in the Upper Pareora valley, lying near the Otioa River, at Millar's yards. Mr John Elder has bought 500 acres from the same gentleman at the top of the valley on the main back road, and Mr Tasman Smith, of Monavale, has bought 400 acres from Mr Dougal Blue, so land is being transferred from one owner to another all over South Canterbury. Some of the new settlers on the Roswell are letting their fencing to be put up, and also letting their ploughing, to get their wheat in before the winter sets in, so they are losing no time in getting to work. The new settlers are making inquiries about their section � as to what the section is best suited for, etc.
Poverty Bay Herald, 20 April 1904, Page 2 WEDDING BELLS.
CHRISTCHURCH, this day. The Merivale Church was beautifully decorated and crowded to the doors yesterday, when Mr Sydney Williamson, of Gisborne, son of the late Mr J. B. Williamson, of Auckland, was married to Miss, Olive Muriel Elworthy, daughter of the late Mr E. Elworthy, of Pareroa, South Canterbury. The ceremony was performed by Bishop Julius', assisted by Archdeacon Harper, of Timaru, and the Rev. C. H Gossett (Vicar of Merivale). The bridesmaids were : Misses Orbell, Ada Julius, Bertha Julius, E. Hill. The bride was given away by her brother, Mr Arthur Elworthy. Mr T. Williamson, brother of the bridegroom, was best man. The happy couple left last night for England via Vancouver.
Otago Witness, 2 November 1904, Page 36
Land Sales � After lengthy haggling the Government decided not to take Mr Elworthy's block of land. Mr Elworthy has, however, sold it to Messrs Scott and McKenzie, with all the stock and plant on it, and the new owners take delivery on the 1st of January, 1905. brought a little better price than the Government offered. There is about 8000 acres in the block, and if the Government had taken it and cut it up into small holdings it would have added to the population of the district. However, the powers that be decided otherwise, and it can't be helped now. There is one fine little station left yet-viz., Cannington � in which there is over 7000 acres. It would make nine or ten good farms, and if the Government would buy it and cut it up it would help the district, very materially.
Otago Witness, 16 November 1904, Page 53
Land Sales. � Mr Elworthy has sold a block of land at Cabbage Tree Point, comprising 300-3 acres. Thus in the short space of nine months he has sold close on 20,000 acres, and people cannot say that this is not a good record for the time.
Otago Witness, 7 June 1905, Page 63
Mr Herbert Elworthy has returned from a visit to Australia.
Otago Witness, 21 June 1905, Page 72
The marriage of Miss Cleveland and Mr H. Elworthy has been fixed for some time in September, and will take place in Melbourne, where Miss Cleveland's home is.
Evening Post, 1 August 1905, Page 4
The only live stock brought from London by the steamer Tongariro was two thoroughbred harriers (hounds)� one imported for Mr. D. Riddiford, and the other for Mr. Elworthy, of Timaru.
Otago Witness, 30 August 1905, Page 64
CHRISTCHURCH, August 26. The beautifully fine weather that favoured, the early part of Grand National week broke on Friday, and Saturday was most unpleasantly cold and raw. Of course most people stayed at home; many who had come long distances departed by boat and train so to be back at home for Sunday; and the residue a mere handful � braved the winterers to visit the racecourse once more. Among these Lord and Lady Plunket, who were accompained by Mr and Mrs Arthur Rhodes, and seemed to enjoy the day's doings with their usual good spirits. Lady Plunkett was all in black, and was well wrapped up in furs. The Hon. Kathleen Plunket had a gown of white serge, and a pale blue coat and hat; Mrs Arthur Rhodes wore dark blue cloth and cosy furs. Mrs George Gould had a black cloth costume and toque of black relieved with white; Mrs Elworthy was in black also, with sealskin coat ; Mrs Stead wore dark blue, with fur coat and cream toque; Mrs Wilfred Stead looked well in dark gray with white furs ; Miss Stead had a snuff-brown tweed coat and skirt : Mrs Beswick looked pretty in blue cloth and cosy dark furs; Miss Fenwick, of Oamaru, was in grey, with hat of violets; Mrs Arthur Elworthy was in black, with pretty mauve and white toque; Mrs Denniston wore grey cloth ; Miss Denniston was in dark navy cloth, with white hat; Mrs Boyle looked well in grey face cloth, toque to match ; Mrs Jack Hall wore grey, also, and a pretty hat with touches of heliotrope; Mrs Kettle was in a black coat and skirt, grey hat; Mrs Henry Wood was in crimson cloth and a black toque. The happenings of this week have been most meager. True, we had the- military circus which has been attracting enormous audiences until Thursday evening, when a most successful season came to an end, to the no small relief of the performers, who were feeling the strain after so many nights. Among those present at the last performance I saw Mrs and C. J. Stevens, Mrs Arthur Rhodes, Mr and Mrs Stead, Mrs and the Misses Burns, the Misses Denniston, Mr and Mrs P. Campbell, Lady Clifford, Mrs J. C. Palmer, the Misses Tabart and Sanders. Mr and Mrs P. Acton-Adams have gone to Australia for a trip. Mrs Murray-Aynsley and Miss Gerard have returned from a visit to Auckland. Mr Herbert Elworthy has left for Melbourne, where his marriage with Miss Cleveland is to take place during first week of September.
Otago Witness, 27 September 1905, Page 64
Mr and Mrs Melville Jameson passed through Christchurch this week on their way to Timaru from Melbourne, where they went to be present at the wedding of Mr Elworthy and Miss Cleveland.
Otago Witness, 1 November 1905, Page 64
Mr and Mrs Herbert Elworthy are staying with Mrs Macdonald, "Hambledon," for Carnival week. "The Gondoliers," staged by the Christchurch Operatic Company, opened a six nights' season on Thursday, and in spite of the rain was greeted by a well-filled and enthusiastic house. Among the audience were Mrs and the Misses Burns, Mrs and Miss Elworthy.
Otago Witness, 15 November 1905, Page 30
Auckland, November 10. The Presbyterian General Assembly met this morning, the Moderator (the Rev. D. Borrie) presiding. The trustees have much pleasure in reporting the following gifts to the Church during the year:
From Messrs Arthur Herbert and Percy Elworthy, 1 acre 2 roods, for a church site at Southburn, Pareora. South Canterbury.
From Mr John Fleming Douglas, of Waiho Downs, near Waimate, South Canterbury, an area of 3 roods 33 perches, with a church building thereon, in which services are held periodically by the minister of Waimate.
Otago Witness, 24 January 1906, Page 72 Christchurch
Mrs Elworthy gave one of her charming "At homes" on Friday for Mrs Herbert Elworthy, who is staying at Inglewood at present. The garden and lawns were in perfect condition, and croquet was played with zest in spite of the heat, which was unusually great. The drawing rooms were prettily arranged with flowers, and a delicious afternoon tea was served. Mrs Elworthy looked well in a handsome gown of black crepe de chine, with beautiful lace; Mrs Herbert Elworthy was in a flowered muslin of delicate mauve and white; Miss Elworthy wore a very pale grey voile gown, with pretty trimmings of white lace ; Mrs Stead, black taffeta skirt, white silk blouse, and cream toque ; Mrs Palmer, black silk, black bonnet, with touch of mauve ; Mrs Ogle, Mrs and Miss Nancarrow, Mrs and Miss Tabart, Mrs Arthur Rhodes, Mrs T. Cowlishaw, Mrs Moore, Mrs and Miss Kettle, Mrs and Miss Hill, Mrs and Miss Julius, Mrs and Miss Wells, Mr A. C. Murray-Aynsley, and Miss Murray-Aynsley.
Otago Witness, 25 April 1906, Page 68
Christchurch, April 21. The most perfect summer weather we have enjoyed for years at this season gladdened the hearts of holiday-makers during Easter week, when the whole population, with one accord, made the most of their opportunities. Everybody one met was on the move, and the number of people travelling by trams and trains broke previous records by a large margin. Easter Monday was a perfect day. The great attraction for those who had not been tempted to journey far afield was of course, the Canterbury Jockey Club's Easter meeting at Riccarton. Mrs Elworthy wore black taffetas; Miss Arthur Elworthy (Pareora), purple cloth, and pale blue velvet toque; Mrs Herbert Elworthy was in pale blue. Tuesday's races were in cooler weather. Among others on the lawn were Mrs Louisson, Mrs Cohn, Miss Samson, Mr and Miss Elworthy, Mrs. A. Elworthy, Mrs Bethel, Mrs Cadell, etc. Mr and Mrs Arthur Elworthy, who were staying at Bishopscourt during the holidays, went south on Wednesday.
Otago Witness, 23 May 1906, Page 55
Mr and Mrs Elworthy, of Timaru, were in town last week with their 12-16 horse-power Clement-Talbot car, and left for the return trip home on Saturday morning. They expected to do the journey in some six hours. The silence and sweet running of the engine of this car is a feature even, noticed by those who have little knowledge of the mechanical working of a motor car.
Otago Witness, 25 July 1906, Page 50
The well-known and popular South Canterbury sportsmen, the Messrs Elworthy Bros., have been playing a strong and successful hand in the point-to-point steeplechases held at South Canterbury and Christchurch Hunt Cub gatherings, and their colours will be sure of a large following at the Riccarton National gathering.
Otago Witness, 19 September 1906, Page 5
Mr Justice Chapman had a long day sitting on a case commenced at Timaru on Thursday night, in which a Christchurch syndicate T. W. Belcher and others � sought to receive �3360 as a reduction in the price of a block of 7780 acres of land bought by them in March last from Scott and Mackenzie, the Motukaike block of the Elworthy Estate, which they purchased a few months before. The land is of two qualities � ploughable and unploughable, and they were told the area of the latter was 1200 acres. They assessed the respective values at about �7 and �3 per acre, and accordingly gave �50,000 for the whole. After the agreement was made it was found by survey that the unploughable tussock land was 840 acres in excess of 1200 acres, and they claimed �4- per acre refund on this. The vendors asserted that the syndicate bought the block as a whole, and denied its legal light to the allowance. Mr Skerrett (Wellington) for claimants, Messrs Raymond and Rolleston for the vendors. Judgment was reserved.
The committee of the Timaru A. and P. Association met on the 8th inst., Mr ,A. S. Elworthy (president) in the chair.
Otago Witness, 6 March 1907, Page 64 Christchurch
On Thursday, the first day of the test match, New Zealand against the English cricketers, Lancaster Park was crowded with visitors, among whom were Mr and Mrs Arthur Rhodes, Lady Agnes de Trafford, Mr and Mrs Crarcroft Wilson, Bishop and Mrs Wilson, Mrs and Miss Stead, Mr and Mrs Ronald Macdonald, Mrs Denniston, Mr and Miss Symes, Mr and Mrs Arthur Elworthy, Mrs and the Misses Burns, Miss Williams.
Miss Denniston, Peel Forest, is visiting Mrs J. Williams, Park terrace.
Mr and Mr Arthur Elworthy are visiting Bishop and Mrs Julius at Bishopscourt.
Mr and Mr De Vere Teschemaker are the guests of Mrs C. Fenwick.
Mr and Lady Agnes de Trafford are the guests of Mrs Arthur Rhodes at "Te Koraha."
Mrs Herbert Elworthy and Miss Cleveland are the guests of Miss Murray-Aynsley.
Otago Witness, 26 June 1907, Page 73
Miss Cleveland, who has been visiting her sister, Mrs Herbert Elworthy in South Canterbury, has returned to Melbourne.
Otago Witness, 2 October 1907, Page 22
Messrs Wright, Stephenson, and Co., (Ltd.) report as follows : � We have sold, at very satisfactory prices, on account of Mr Peter Robertson (Huntly, Outram), the following two Clydesdale entire colts to Mr A. S. Elworthy (Holme Station, Pareora, Timaru): � Bay colt, foaled November, 1905 ; sire Marooni (imp.) ; grand-sire the world-renowned champion Hiawatha (10067). Colt's dam. Pride by Royalist, by Hard Times, by Extinguisher, grand-darn Jean, by Lord Salisbury (imp.). This colt, as a yearling, was first at the Taieri and third at Dunedin. He is a, fine, big, flash-legged colt, probably the best rising two year-old in the South Island. Bay colt, foaled November, 1906. Sire Pride of Newton (imp.), the champion Clydesdale sire in New Zealand. Dam. the well-known prize winning mare Pride's Glory, by Pride's Fancy. Ly Lion King ; grand-dam Pride, by Royalist, by Hard Times, great grand-dam Jean, by Lord Salisbury (imp).
Otago Witness, 15 January 1908, Page 27
Mr Carlisle Studholme returned to Waimate recently after a six weeks shooting trip in South Africa, in company with Mr P. A. Elworthy, of Pareora (says the Timaru Herald): - Mr Studholme reports having had excellent sport, the bag including lions, _gnus, hyenas, and almost all the larger varieties of birds, amongst the smaller animals being a few extremely rare kinds which were presented to the Pretoria Museum. The collection of skins and heads when set up will be a very fine one.
Otago Witness 5 February 1908, Page 53
Mr Donald Nicholason has sold his run, Scottshills, to Mr Wilford Howell, of Nimrod, and Mr H. Elworthy, of Craigmore, has thrown open 4009 acres of his estate for sale, so this valley is going to get filled with settlement soon
Otago Witness, 6 May 1908, Page 39
Land Sales � Mr J. T. Hamilton has sold his farm to a North Canterbury farmer. Mr Veritery has bought from Mr H. Elworthy, of Craigmore, 3000 acres in the Upper Pareora Valley, just through the lower gorge and along the bottom of the limestone hill. He gave somewhere between �10 and �11 per acre for this block. He sold out of his farm about six months ago in the Totara Valley, and he tells me he went all over the North Island and down through Southland but could see no place better than South Canterbury. I hope he will do well in his new venture.
Otago Witness, 17 June 1908, Page 4
A pig-hunting party on Mr Donkin's Sunnyside Station, comprising Messrs Elworthy and P. Studholme, from South Canterbury, Dr Snow (Invercargill), Messrs M'Gregor and Cox (Mount Linton), and Mr Glendining had good sport recently. These gentlemen, well equipped with modern firearms, accounted for 127 pigs.
Evening Post, 3 October 1908, Page 7
There was a crowded congregation (including some 500 or 600 invited guests) present at the Christchurch Cathedral on Thursday (reports the Press) to witness the nuptials of Mr. Percy Ashton Elworthy, of Timaru, and Miss Bertha Victoria Julius, daughter of his Lordship the Bishop. The bride (who was given away her father) was attended by Miss Julius, Miss O'Bryan Hodge (England), and the Misses Elworthy (Pareora) as bridesmaids. Mr. C. Studholme (Waimate) was best man, and Mr. P. Lindsay (Timaru) groomsman. The service, which was fully choral, was conducted by the Ven. Archdeacon Harper (Timaru) and the Rev. J. Julius (brother of the bride). The sanctuary and altar were artistically decorated with aurum lilies. Special hymns - and canticles were rendered by the choir, and the anthem, "O Perfect Lord" given while the parties were signing the register. Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" was played by Mr. Bradshaw at the conclusion of the service, and a merry peal was rung on the cathedral bells. A reception was subsequently held at Bishop's Court, and Mr. and Mrs Elworthy left by motor-car on their wedding tour.
Marlborough Express, 2 October 1908, Page 5
There was a crowded congregation (including some five hundred or six hundred invited guests) present at the Cathedral yesterday afternoon (telegraphs our Christchurch correspondent) to witness the nuptials of Mr Percy Ashton Elworthy, of Timaru, and Miss Bertha "Victoria Julius, daughter of his Lordship the Bishop of Christchurch, The bride (who was given away by her father) was attended by Miss Julius, Miss O'Bryan Hodge (England) and the Misses Elworthy (Paeroa) as bridesmaids. Mr C. Studholme (Waimate) was best man, and Mr P. Lindsay (Timaru) groomsman. The service, which was fully choral, was conducted by the Yen. Archdeacon Harper (Timaru) and the Rev. J. A. Julius, brother of the bride. The sanctuary and altar were artistically decorated with arum lilies. Special hymns and canticles were rendered by the choir, and the anthem "0 Perfect Lord" given while the parties were signing the register. Mendelssohn's Wedding March was played by Dr. Bradshaw at the conclusion of the service, and a merry peal was rung on the Cathedral bells. A reception was subsequently held at Bishopscourt, and Mr and Mrs Elworthy left by motorcar on their wedding tour.
Evening Post, 20 October 1908, Page 8
SPEED OF MOTOR CARS. DUNEDIN, This Day.
Information against Messrs. Aston Adams and Percy Elworthy, of driving motor cars at an excessive speed through Princes-street, were dismissed, Mr. Widdowson, S.M., saying he was not satisfied that it had been proved that the speed was dangerous to the public.
Otago Witness, 28 October 1908, Page 59
The charges of alleged infringement of the Motor Act against Reginald Acton Adams and Percy Ashton Elworthy were disposed of at the City Police Court on Wednesday before Mr H. Y. Widdowson, S.M. � R. Acton Adams had been charged with driving a motor car on a public highway at a speed dangerous to the public, and with furiously driving a motor car. Percy Ashton Elworthy had been charged with driving a motor car on a public highway at a speed dangerous to the public. � Mr A. C. Hanlon appeared for the defendants, and Sub-inspector Norwood conducted the case for the police. � Herbert Elworthy brother of one of the defendants, stated that the car was being driven at a rate up to 15 miles an hour � not a dangerous rate of speed. In an emergency it could be stopped in its own length. He (the driver) did not slow down at street corners, but could not have collided with a cart if that cart was keeping its own side of the road. Charles James Fox, financial agent, said that he was used to motor cars, and that, he had returned from England a month 1 ago. In London the speed regulation was 20 miles- an hour. There warn nearly as much traffic there as in George street. In the parks the speed of motor cars was limited to 8, 10, and 12 miles an hour. He would not consider that speed dangerous in George street, Dunedin, provided the car was in the hands, of a competent driver. He would seriously say that if there was no traffic to, stop him, a man could drive through Cheapside at 20 miles an hour.� The Sub-inspector expressed incredulity. He said he had been in London, and knew what the traffic was like. He would have said that such a speed would be impracticable and dangerous � The Magistrate said it was easy to comprehend that speed would be dangerous at one time and not at another. They circumstances surrounding the case at the time and not another be considered according to the law. In the case in point defendants were driving - along George street, which presented a straight run, with, no bends or corners, and the traffic at the time did nod appear to have been large. The motor cars had been driven at a speed which Mr Adams had described as being faster than usual. Mr Spencer had apparently no complaint to make as to the speed at which the cars travelled, but had objected to the horns, which frightened horses. Constable M'Culloch had stated positively that the care were travelling at 25 miles an hour, and he would appear to be a judge of speed. He himself was inclined to think that the cars were travelling rather faster than Mr Adams had admitted � possibility 19 miles an hour. As to the rest of the evidence brought by the police as to speed he could not think it altogether reliable. Dr Batchelor considered the speed safe north of the Octagon, and other witnessed ; had said there was no danger. His Worship said that he did not understand why those riding on motors should ride in the inflict a heavy fine. The defendant would be fined 20s and costs. This report makes still further interesting reading....
Otago Witness, 9 December 1908, Page 40
County Elections. � The county elections went off very quietly in this part. Mr Jas. Smith -was elected for the Cave Riding of the Mackenzie County, Mr James Smart for the Tengawai Riding of the Levels County, and Mr Herbert Elworthy for though Upper Pareora Riding of the Waimate County. The three members mentioned were unopposed.
Evening Post, 15 December 1908, Page 9
LONDON, 6th November. SHORROCK� GODBY. Readers throughout New Zealand will be interested to read particulars of a wedding which took place at Holy Trinity Church, Eastbourne, on Saturday last, 31st October, for the bride v was Miss Ethel Hinemoa Godby, second daughter of Mr. Michael John Godby, of Timaru, New Zealand the bridegroom was Mr. William Gordon Shorrock, youngest son of the late Mr. Christopher Shorrock, J.P., of Darwen, and nephew of Mrs. Elworthy, of Christchurch, New Zealand. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore an Empire gown of soft cream satin, embroidered by an aunt of the bridegroom ; she also wore the customary wreath of orange-blossom and tulle veil. There were four bridesmaids and one page. The elder young ladies were the Misses Godby and Joan Godby, who wore Empire dresses of white ninon, with white silk hats trimmed with gold coloured flowers ; their bouquets were of chrysanthemums in two shades of gold. The twp little girls, the Misses Nancy and Joan Shorrock (nieces of the bridegroom), wore frocks of white muslin and white silk hats. Master Robert Godby, brother of the bride, wore a white duck man-of-war costume. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. G. P. Bassett Kerry, vicar of the parish ; the best man was Mr. Joseph Shorrock, brother of the bridegroom. At the conclusion of the service, Mr. and Mrs. Godby entertained about fifty guests at a reception at the Grand Hotel, those present including the following :� Mr. and Mrs. George Rhodes, Mrs. Willes, Mrs. Walter Perry, Mr. Charles Dalmain, Mr. Timaru Rhodes, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Moorhouse and Miss Moorhouse, Dr. Harper, and Mrs. Hall. A large number of presents were received, including several cheques. The bride and bridegroom have gone to Devonshire for their honeymoon. Their future home is to be in Darwen, Lancashire.
Otago Witness, 13 January 1909, Page 53
Evening Post, 15 December 1908, Page 9
London, October 30.
Readers throughout New Zealand will be interested to read particulars of a wedding which took place at Holy Trinity Church, Eastbourne, on October 31, for the bride was Miss Ethel Hinemoa Godby, second daughter of Mr Michael John Godby, of Timaru, New Zealand. The bridegroom was Mr William Gordon Shorrock, youngest son of the late Mr Christopher Shorrock, J.P., of Darwen, and, nephew of Mrs Elworthy of Christchurch, New Zealand. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore an Empire gown of soft cream satin, embroidered by an aunt of the bridegroom. She also wore the customary wreath of orange blossom and tulle veil. There were four bridesmaids and one page. The elder young ladies were Misses Godby and Joan Godby. Master Robert Goby, brother of the bride, wore a white duck man-of-war costume. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. G. P. Bassett Kerry, vicar of the parish. The bestman was Mr Joseph Shorrock, brother of the bridegroom. At the conclusion of the service Mr and Mrs Godby entertained about 50 guests at a reception at the Grand Hotel, those present including the following � Mr and Mrs George Rhodes, Mrs Willes, Mrs Walter Perry, Mr Charles Delamain, Mr Timaru Rhodes, Mr and Mrs Edward Moorhouse and Miss Moorhouse, Dr Harper, and Mrs Hall. A large number of presents were received, including several cheques. The bride and groom have gone to Devonshire for their honeymoon. Their future home is to be in Darwen, Lancashire.
Otago Witness, 22 September 1909, Page 71
Bishop Julius, of Christchurch, has been in Timaru. He held a confirmation service on Sunday, September 19, and preached at both morning: and evening services in St Mary's. He was on a visit to his daughter, Mrs Percy Elworthy.
Evening Post, 26 October 1909, Page 8
COMING FROM ENGLAND. R.M.S. IONIC'S PASSENGERS. Very heavy bookings were recorded for the Shaw, Savill, and Albion Company R.M.S. Ionic, which sailed from Plymouth on the 19th September for Wellington via Teneriffe, Capetown, and Hobart. There are no fewer than 679 passengers travelling in all classes for New Zealand ports � - 36 in the first saloon, 100 in the second, and 543 in the third-class, following is the list : � First saloon : For Lyttelton� Mesdames S. M. Elworthy, Ross, A. Townend and maid, Misses E. R. Elworthy, M. Lee, G. M. Mills, Tahart (2), Messrs. J. Wolfram, E. Beaumont.
For Timaru � Mrs. Watkinson. Misses L. Watkinson, A. Watkinson, Messrs. F. Watkinson, D. Grant....
Evening Post, 19 February 1912, Page 9
Mr. A. S. Elworthy, Mrs. Elworthy, and family, of Holme Station, Pareora, leave shortly for England.
Evening Post, 20 March 1912, Page 6
29th April. LEAVING BY THE IONIC.
The Shaw, Savill and Albion - liner Ionic, which is fixed to leave Wellington, for London at 4 pm. to-morrow, is taking the following passengers from the Dominion: First saloon: From Christchurch - Misses Julius, Pratt (3), Mesdames Pratt, T. E. Ross, Messrs J. H Guthrie, A. T. Pratt, K. Pratt, C. W Purnell, W. V. Robinson, J. Wolfram.
From Timaru: Mr and Mrs A. Elworthy, Misses Elworthy (2), Masters Elworthy (2), Miss Ford, Mr and Mrs W. R. McLaren.
Evening Post, 20 July 1912, Page 2 . London 7th June.
Late callers at the London office of the New Zealand Government include :
Mr. and Mrs. A. Elworthy (Timaru)...
Evening Post, 11 February 1915, Page 6
GOING BY THE REMUERA
Sailing for London, via way ports, the R.M.S. Remuera has on board the following passengers: � Fist saloon - From Christchurch� Miss Buller, Sister E. Mellish, Mrs Burdon, Messrs R M. Burdon and J. P. Bourke.
From Timaru: Misses Jensen, A. Elworthy, J. Elworthy, and Masters S. and A. Elworthy.
Second saloon: From Timaru: Mr E. Moreton.
There are 71 third-class from all parts. The Remuera is due at London about the 24th March.
The Times Tuesday, Jan 20, 1920 Birth.
Elworthy - On the 28th Nov., at Gordon's Valley, Timaru, NZ, the wife of Percy Elworthy - a daughter.
The Times Thursday, Jun 21, 1928 col C
The engagement is announced between John Nelson Bendyshe, late the Worcestershire Regiment, of Barrington Hall, Cambridgeshire, only son of the late lieutenant-Colonel R.N. Bendyshe, R.M.L.I. and the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Herbert Elworthy, of Craigmore, Timaru, New Zealand
Evening Post, 24 December 1928, Page 13
wedding of considerable interest was solemnised at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, when Margaret, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, was married to John, only son of Mrs. Bendyshe, of Cambridgeshire, England. The Roy. J. Hay officiated, assisted by the Rev. H..W. Monaghan. The church was beautifully decorated. The bridal frock was of patterned French lace in thistle-down white, over cream ninon. The sleeves wore long, the long skirt I fell unevenly, and a train of lace full from the waist. A Russian coronet had diamante trimming and the tulle veil was caught with real orange blossoms. A lovely bouquet of Mount Cook lilies was carried. Miss Elizabeth Elworthy and Miss Josephine Elworthy (sisters of the bride) were in frocks of delphinium-blue spotted muslin over satin of the same shade. Big shady crinoline hats of the same soft blue', with bows of ring velvet drooping over the brims, were worn, and they carried bouquets of sweet peas of pastel shades. Miss Pamela Orbell and Miss Angela Rhodes were in crisp delphinium-blue spotted muslin, worn over slips of blue satin. The bodices were tight and sleeveless, and the skirts were entirely composed of frills. Bandeaux of green leaves, with a small forget-me-not posy on either side, encircled their heads, and they carried Victorian posys [sic] of pastel tinted flowers. Mr. Harold Fenn was the best man, and Mr. Paddy Boyle groomsman. The reception was held at "Craigmore," where marquees on the lawn housed the big assemblage of guests. New Zealand foliage was used for decorative purposes. ..
The Times, Saturday, Feb 01, 1930; pg. 17
A New Zealand A.D.C.
Lieutenant J.C. Elworthy, R.N., who has been appointed Naval Aide-de-Camp to Lord Bledisloe, Governor-General-designate of New Zealand, is the son of Mr Arthur Elworthy, of Holm Station, Timaru, NZ and has been in the Navy since 1921. A Dartmouth cadet, his last service was in H.M.S. Caylamen in the Persian Gulf.
Christchurch Press Saturday August 23rd 1930
Miss Rona ELWORTHY, photograph of bride and six bridesmaids. The wedding took place this afternoon of Rona Emmeline Elworthy of "Craigmore" to Alan Patrick White of "Omarunui" Hawkes Bay. All the invited guests are listed in the paper. It says both bride and groom come from very well known and respected families. The write up consists of two whole columns, parents were Mr & Mrs Herbert Elworthy.
Evening Post, 23 August 1930, Page 17
J. Harris (Timaru) Photo. Considerable interest, was shown in South Canterbury on Wednesday, when the wedding of Miss Rona Elworthy to Mr. Pat White took place at St. Mary's Anglican Church, Timaru. The photograph shows the crowd assembled as the bride and bridegroom left the church after the ceremony. photo
Evening Post, 23 August 1930, Page 18 ELWORTHY - WHITE
A wedding in Timaru caused much interest on Thursday, when Rona, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, of "Craigmore," was married to Alan Patrick, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Kinross White, of "Omaranui,'' Hawkes Bay. The members of both families being very well known caused a great gathering of friends from North and South Canterbury, Dunedin, and the North Island. The ceremony took place at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, which was beautifully decorated with sprays of lime-green foliage and masses of golden daffodils and jonquils, the altar being arranged with arum lilies. The vicar, the Rev. H. W. Monaghan, assisted by the Rev. J. Hay, performed the ceremony. The service was fully choral, the music being arranged by Mr. A. W. Vine, the organist. Mr. Evan Campbell, of Horonui, was best man, with Messrs. J. Elworthy, B. Blundell (Wellington), P. Borthwick (Christchurch), E. Bethell (Waikari), and H. Elworthy as groomsmen. The ushers were Messrs. P. Boyle, F. O'Rorke, and B. Thomas. The bride's beautiful, though very simply cut, gown was of ivory ring velvet, made in medieval style. Pearls outlined the square neck, and a girdle of meshed pearls was worn round the waist, knotted, and with ends falling to the hem of the full skirt. The shaped train was of ivory and gold faconne embossed in chenille and lined with gold tissue. The veil of ivory embroidered net (which had belonged to the bride's grandmother) fell from a Juliet cap of seed pearls. The only ornament worn was a diamond star pendant hung from a silver chain. A sheaf of freesias was carried. The six bridesmaids were in frocks of daffodil yellow. They were the Misses Cecil, Elizabeth, and Josephine Elworthy, Miss Nancy Bond, Miss Hilda Montgomery (Little River), and Miss Margery Gibson. Their medieval dresses were cut on, the same simple lines as the bride's and were made of chiffon velvet. The close-fitting bodices were made with long tight sleeves and square necks, which had attractive Medici collars of gold lace. The full skirts fell in graceful folds to the ground. Little Juliet caps of meshed yellow pearls looked most effective, and they carried Victorian posies of primroses and spring bulbs, and wore the bridegroom's gifts, which were gold bar brooches, set with an opal. After the ceremony a reception was held at "Craigmore," where the house and marquee were gay with flowers. In the hall where the bridal party stood, the colour scheme of yellow and white was carried pat with tall sheaves of arum lilies, large bowls of golden wattle, bowls of yellow leaves, arid, tall wands of bamboo. Sprays of pink japonica, and bowls of pink papyrus decorated the drawing-room, where Mr. and Mrs. Elworthy received their guests. In the large marquee daffodils, jonquils, freesias, and violets were effectively arranged on the tables, and on the bridal table were vases of white heather and white violets. Mrs. Elworthy wore a becoming frock of black lace, made with a black georgette yoke, and insertions ,of georgette in the long, full skirt. Over this was worn a black panne velvet coat with a deep edging, cuffs and collar of black seal. Black lace straw banded with panne velvet made an attractive hat. Mrs. W. Kinross White (mother of the bridegroom) wore a graceful frock of Lido blue lace with a three quarter-length coat of the same material. Shaded yellow flowers trimmed her blue bankok hat, and she carried a bouquet of yellow freesias. Mrs. Elworthy (grandmother of the bride), wore a gown of jet black satin, with fine creamy lace. The cape effect at the back ended in a long black silk fringe. Her hat was made of black bankok straw, with osprey trimming, and she carried a bouquet of sweet peas. Miss Elworthy (aunt of the bride), black georgette embossed in chenille. Over this was worn a small coatee of black silk lace. Her hat of black bankok was trimmed with sprays, and she carried a bouquet of anemones. Mrs. A. S. Elworthy (Holme Station) wore a frock of floral crepe de chine. Over this was worn a smart cloth coat of black, trimmed with caracal. Her black hat was small and close fitting. Mrs. Percy Elworthy wore a distinctive frock of black georgette, under black georgette coat, trimmed with winter ermine. Her black felt hat was plain and close-fitting. Mrs. W. N. Bond (Southland) (aunt of the bride), wore a charming frock of black satin, with collar and cuffs of deep beige satin. Her coat was of black marocain, with deep beige fur. Her hat of black felt was finished with panne Velvet, and she carried a bouquet off freesias. Later in the afternoon Mr. and Mrs. White left by car, Mrs. White wearing a very smart two-piece suit of bulrush brown wool tweed. Her three-quarter length coat was faced with yellow and brown, and she wore a becoming felt hat of the same shade of yellow.
Last name First name Age Sex Year of departure Departure port Destination country Destination port
ELWORTHY Rona 18 F 1928 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Anthony C 18 M 1931 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Mary A 18 F 1931 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY 44 F 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Bertha 49 F 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY D 10 F 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Diana 11 F 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY G 49 M 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY John C 23 M 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Percy A 51 M 1930 Southampton New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Bertha 47 F 1934 London New Zealand Lyttelton
ELWORTHY Percy 52 M 1934 London New Zealand Lyttelton
ELWORTHY Bertha 49 F 1936 London New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Elizabeth 23 F 1936 Newport New Zealand Auckland
ELWORTHY Percy 55 M 1936 London New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Bertha 52 F 1939 London New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Diana 19 F 1939 London New Zealand Wellington
ELWORTHY Percy A 58 M 1939 London New Zealand Wellington
The Times, Friday, Nov 17, 1933
ELWORTHY - On Nov. 11 1933, at Timaru, NZ, Sarah Maria, widow of Edward Elworthy, Pareora, NZ, in her 90th year.
Evening Post, 14 November 1933, Page 13 LATE MRS. ELWORTHY
Mrs. Sarah Maria Elworthy, of "Pareora Cottage," Le Cren's Terrace, Timaru, whose death occurred at her home on Sunday, was the widow of Mr. Edward Elworthy, formerly of Holme Station. Mrs. Elworthy was eighty-nine years old, but until a month ago she enjoyed robust health. She had, however, been confined to bed for the last three weeks, says, the Christchurch "Times." Mrs. Elworthy, nee Miss Shorrock, was born at Darwin, Lancashire, in 1844. She was married to Mr. Edward Elworthy in 1867, and came with him to New Zealand. They settled at Holme Station, Timaru, in 1867, and lived there until 1899, in which year she went to England. When she returned to New Zealand in 1902 she took up residence in Christchurch. She toured extensively with her daughter, Miss Edith Elworthy, and on their return to New, Zealand Mrs. Elworthy and her daughter lived at Timaru. Mrs. Elworthy is survived by three sons - Mr. A. S. Elworthy, of Holme Station; Mr. Herbert Elworthy, Craigmore, Pareora; and Mr. Percy Elworthy, Gordon's Valley and three daughters, Miss Edith Elworthy, Mrs. W. Bond, Timaru, and Mrs. Sidfley Williamson (Cornwall).
Evening Post, 26 April 1934, Page 15 WEDDING WILLIAMS - ELWORTHY
The wedding took place at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, recently of Miss Josephine Elworthy, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, ''Craigmore," South Canterbury, to Mr. David Epsom Williams, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Williams, Otane, Hawke's Bay. Archdeacon H. W. Monaghan officiated, and Mr. A. W. Vine presided at the organ. The beautiful church had boon decorated with hydrangeas and vivid oak foliage. The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a beautiful gown of ivory tinted matelasse, which fell .from the sides and back into a long train. Her mother's wedding veil of sheer silk net was arranged to fall to the edge of her train. She carried a sheaf of lilies of the valley. Miss Cecil Elworthy and Miss Elizabeth Elworthy (sisters of the bride), Miss Clemency Williams (sister of the bridegroom), Miss Diana Orbell, and Miss Phillippa Acland, were bridesmaids. They wore frocks of drawn thread cloque matelasse, in a water-lily green shade, made on plain, attractive lines. Mr. Steven Williams (the bridegroom's brother) was best man, and Messrs. Jack Acland, Michael Acland, (Mount Peel), Douglas McHardy (Hawke's Bay), and Charles Batchelor (Otago) were groomsmen. After the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy held a reception at their home, "Craigmore." Mrs. Elworthy wore a dress of black crepe-dechine, patterned with cream check design, and a coatee of black panne velvet, with a collar of black fox fur. Her hat of black velvet had a feather mount at the back. She carried a posy of pink sweet peas. Mrs. Gordon Williams (the bridegroom's mother), was in an ensemble of green crepe armure, with facings of grey satin, the coat having a squirrel collar. When Mr. and Mrs. David Williams left for a tour the bride wore a tailored suit of brown cloth with a yellow, plaid blouse finished at the neck, with a silk bow. She wore a brown hat to match. Mr: and Mrs. Williams will leave this week for England.
Evening Post 13 September 1935, Page 15
Timaru Pre-wedding Party. In honor of Miss Cecil Elworthy whose marriage to Mr. C. Batchelor (Dunedin) took place at St. Mary's Church, Otaio, yesterday, a most enjoyable party was given at Craigmore by the employees of the station, states "The Press." There were about 60 guests present, including Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Elworthy, Mrs. David Williams, Miss Cecil Elworthy, and a number of neighbours and friends. Mr. and Mrs. Sparks received the guests, who were Mr. and Mrs. Lyttelton, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. Currie, Mrs. Lunham, Misses Ivy Davison, Doris Peter, L. Pully. Messrs. Kay, Mills, Day, and Lunham. Mr. C. Kay, on behalf of the employees, presented Miss Elworthy with a handsome silver tea service. Mr. Herbert Elworthy responded on behalf of his daughter.
Evening Post 13 September 1935, Page 15 BATCHELOR � ELWORTHY.
The marriage of Charles, second son of Dr. and Mrs. Stanley Batchelor, of Dunedin, to Cecil, fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, Craigmore, was celebrated yesterday afternoon by the Rev. J. Hay at St. Mary's Church, Otaio, states the Christchurch "Star-Sun," Timaru was thronged with visitors from both North and South Islands for this important social occasion, the wedding being one that has aroused widespread interest, particularly in South Canterbury where the El worthy family is very well known. A large number of guests from Dunedin were also present. The church had been beautifully decorated with prunus blossoms by the bride's aunt, Mrs Percy Elworthy. Mr. A. W. V. Vine (Timaru) was the organist, and six of St. Mary's Church Choir were also present. Two elder maids, Misses Janet Orbell (Pentlow) and Diana Orbell (Levels) and little Sally Sinclair-Thomson attended the bride. Mr. J. Ritchie was best man and Mr. K. H. Hargreaves was groomsman. Mr. Elworthy gave away his daughter. Her bridal gown, a beautiful English model, was of ivory satin, the simplicity of the slightly-trained skirt being off-set by the bodice of net appliqued with satin, and. stitched with diamante in a conventional design. A square neckline, long-fitting sleeves, and a looped sash completed this lovely gown, which was worn with a tulle veil, belonging to the bride's mother, and held in place by a halo of stiffened net edged with diamante. She carried a sheaf of pale blue and white hyacinths. Frocks in pale hyacinth blue were worn by the three attendants, those of the two elder maids being of matalasse, simply made with square-cut bodices and long sleeves fitting down over the wrists. The sashes, which tied in three loops at the back waistline, fell to form long fishtail trains. Their wide shallow hats were of parchment baku straw, with a sweeping blue ostrich feather almost encircling the crown. The little maid's frock was made of the same material as the older bridesmaids' in Kate Greenaway style with a square neck and hemline edged with kilting, and a velvet sash tying in-a bow at the back. She wore a chaplet of hyacinths in her hair, and all three maids carried cream and blue hyacinths. The bride's home, Craigmore, made a beautiful setting for the reception. Bowls of daffodils and forsythia decorated the house, and the marquee was also beautifully decorated with prunus blossom and greenery by Mrs. Arthur Elworthy, aunt of the bride. Mrs. Herbert Elworthy wore a navy wool crepe georgette frock finished with a white cravat and a navy blue caped coat. Her hat of navy balli buntl stow was trimmed with blue and white flowers. She carried red and blue anemones. The bridegroom's mother wore a frock and cape of crepe marocain flowered on a grey ground, a black straw hat and silver fox furs. Dr. P. R. Woodhouse proposed the health of the bride and bridegroom. Among the guests was Miss Helen Todd, who is 91 years of age; and who for 27 years was "Nanny" to" all the bride's family. She wore-a black ensemble and a black hat, and carried pink sweet peas. A motor tour of the North Island has been planned by the bride and bridegroom. The bride's travelling frock of ciel blue wool was finished with a collar, and tiny bow of navy blue and white checked taffetas. The matching cape had long ends crossed in front and buckled at the back. Her chic little hat of ciel blue baku straw was brimless at the back and dipped over one eye. It was finished with a tiny stiff veil.
Auckland Star, 31 July 1936, Page 11
Mr. S. C. Elworthy, son of Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Elworthy, of Timaru, and his bride, formerly Miss Audrey Hutchinson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Hutchinson, of Auckland, photographed after their marriage last month at St. Saviour's Church, London. photo
Evening Post, 9 February 1937, Page 14
St. John's Cathedral, Napier, was the scene of a very beautiful wedding today, when Hester Mary, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Herrick, Tautane, Hawke's Bay, was married to John Churchill, younger son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Elworthy, Holme station, Timaru. As both the bride and groom, are very popular members of the younger set, the wedding was a large one and friends came to Napier from all of New Zealand to be present. The ceremony was performed by the Bishop of Waiapu, Dean Brocklehurst assisting. Mr. Percy Tombs was at the organ and played Lohengrin's "Wedding March." The church was decorated with masses of hydrangeas in all art shades; the altar being done with roses.
The Times, Tuesday, Jun 01, 1937; pg. 19
The engagement is announced between William Jason Maxwell, elder son of the late Hon. William and Mrs Borthwick, of 14 Wilton Crescant, S.W.1, and Elizabeth Cleveland, daughter of Mr and Mrs Herbert Elworthy, of Craigmore, Timaru, NZ.
Evening Post, 17 August 1937, Page 14
Mr. and Mrs. W. J. M. Borthwick leaving St. Paul's, Knightsbridge, London, after their wedding on July 26. The bridegroom is the elder son of. the Hon. William and Mrs. Borthwick, Manor Farm, Norfolk, and the bride who was Miss Elizabeth Elworthy, is the fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Elworthy, Craigmore, South Canterbury. photo Following the ceremony came the reception at 23 Knightsbridge, where Mrs. Elworthy, and the Hon. W. Borthwick, with Mrs. Borthwick, received the guests. The house was decorated with exquisite-flowers, chiefly Madonna lilies, and sprays of white and yellow, gladioli, while touches of blue were introduced by the use of hydrangeas; The toast of the afternoon was proposed by Commander G.H. Dennistoun, who remarked that Canterbury lamb was not the only good thing that came from New Zealand, for Canterbury also produced belles. And no Canterbury belle was fairer than. the bride. Later the young couple left by motor-car for Devonshire and Cornwall, the bridegroom taking the wheel. Beside him was the bride, in a neat travelling tailored suit of grey, and a Breton sailor hat in navy and pale blue. Their future home will be in London. Among the numerous guests were Colonel and Mrs. R. B. Neill, Miss Neill,. Commander and Mrs. G. H. Dennistoun, Miss Dennistoun, Mrs. Basil Unwin, Miss N. Pinckney, Mrs. Alberta MacLean, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Riddiford, Mrs. Mowbray Tripp with her two sons, Commander and Mrs. Gladstone, Major and Lady Gwendolen Latham, Major and Mrs; J. Macdonald, Miss M. Orbell, Mr. Brian Ritchie, Miss C. Macdonald, Lady Young, Captain and Mrs. Hennessy, Miss. Mary Palmer, Mr. Heathcote Helmore, Lord and Lady Waleran, Mr. and, Mrs. James Mills, Mrs.. Adam Bell and the Misses Bell, Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Turrell, Lord Whitburgh, the Hon. James Borthwick and Mrs. Borthwick, the Hon. Algernon and Mrs. Borthwick, the Hon. Sybil Bortwick, Mrs. T. C. Williamson, Mrs. J. Bendyshe, and Mrs. T. Upton.
The Times, Thursday, Dec 14, 1939 pg11
The engagement is announced between Hamish Wilson, youngest son of Mr and Mrs G. Hamish Wilson, of Bulls, NZ and Alice Diana, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs P.A. Elworthy, of Gordon's Valley, Timaru, NZ.
Evening Post, 8 February 1940, Page 16
The marriage took place at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, on Tuesday afternoon, of Alice Diana, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Elworthy, "Gordon's Valley," and James Glenny, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Wilson, "Burleigh," Bulls. The service, which was fully choral, was performed by the Ven. Archdeacon H. W. Monaghan. Mr. A. W. Vine played the wedding music. The church had been decorated with hydrangeas and lemon coloured gladioli. The wedding created much, interest as the bride belongs to one of the earliest families of South Canterbury, her, grandfather being the late Mr. Edward Elworthy, of "Holme Station." Her maternal grandfather was Archbishop Julius, one of the leading figures in the history of New Zealand. The bridegroom, a grandson of the late Sir James Wilson, is a noted polo player and belongs to a well known North Island family. The bride wore a trained gown of old ivory satin. Her long tulle veil was arranged from a topknot of orange blossom and she carried a shower bouquet of ivory begonias, tuberoses, and water lilies. In attendance on the bride were Miss Decima Ormond (Hawke's Bay), Miss Cynthia Wilson (Bulls, sister of the bridegroom), and Miss Carlisle Studholme (Waimate). Mr. Denis Herrick, Hawke's Bay, was best man, and Messrs. John Riddiford and G. Rolleston were groomsmen. Messrs. G. Chapman, J. Rolleston, and G. Rolleston were ushers. The bridesmaids' frocks were of ivory chiffon over satin. They wore Juliet caps and carried bouquets of multi-coloured flowers. A reception was held at "Gordon's Valley," where the guests were received by Mr. and Mrs. Elworthy. Beautiful flowers decorated the reception rooms and the large marquee in the garden.
Reference: Who's Who in NZ in 1951
ELWORTHY Arthur Stanley, farmer Holme Station, Timaru. B Timaru 1874 son of Edward Elworthy, m '00 Ella Caroline d of Archbishop Julius 2s 2d. Ed French farm Akaroa and England; chm Cant JC; mem Waimate Cl.
ELWORTHY John Churchill. OBE 1946. B nr Timaru 1907, son of L S Elworthy. Ed RN College, Darmouth: served in Mediterranean Fleet '25-26. (midshipman) Atlantic Fleet '27-28; Persian Gulf '29 (sub lieut); lieut '30; ADC to Govr-general Lord Bledisloe '30-32 (retd); in World War 11 2 yrs exec officer Philomel and in Navy Office. retd '46.
Following Edward's death at Pareora on 22 January 1899 the trustees began selling the land off and divided the station among his three sons, Arthur, Herbert and Percy. In 1906 Herbert Elworthy, his second son, took over his share, Craigmore. By 1914 a substantial proportion of the original freehold land had been sold. The old Holme Station homestead burnt down in 1910. Arthur and Percy worked in partnership until 1910 then divided the property. Today Craigmore is 1534.545 hectares in size, i.e. 4,200 acres, with 50% being hill blocks and the rest flat to rolling paddocks.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 21 June 1910, Page 7
FIRE. 40-ROOMED HOUSE DESTROYED.
Timaru, June 21. The homestead at Holme station, Pareora, Mr A S. Elworthy's residence, was destroyed by fire at 2 o'clock this morning. The house contained about 40 rooms and very little of the furniture was saved. The fire originated in the kitchen and is supposed to have been caused by a defective chimney. The fire had a strong hold when discovered and spread so rapidly that the children had to be taken out in their night-clothes. The building was insured for �3700 and the contents for �2500 in the Alliance.
The home was rebuilt in the gabled and stucco style of the day in 1912. Has three storeys, over 10,000 ft of living space or 1140 sqm floor space. There are ten bedrooms, six bathrooms. An upstairs library and game room. The grounds cover 5.9780 hectares and are landscaped. Complete with the original Victorian rock garden, including many a blue gum and special trees and roses and the 5 acre daffodil paddock. Heating is by water radiators heated by a diesel boiler. Lot 1 DP42817 BLK III OTAIO SD. In 2012 it was for sale, listed at $NZ 3.5 million. Certificate of title No. CB21F/88.
Evening Post, Issue 54, 4 March 1912, Page 3
Holme Station Subdivision.
Timaru, 2nd March. The major portion of Mr. A. S. Elworthy's Holme Station estates of 3579 acres, divided into fourteen farms of 100 to 400 acres, was submitted to auction to-day. The saleroom was crowded, but no sale was effected, only one or two lots obtaining bids. The auctioneers stated that the farms must be sold, and will soon go privately.
Mr & Mrs P. A. Elworthy
Feb. 1940 photo
Charles ELWORTHY (1911-1993), created
KG GCB CBE DSO LVO DFC AFC
Sam was born 23 March, 1911, Gordon's Valley, near Timaru. He was educated at Marlborough College and Trinity College, Cambridge, and was called to the Bar in 1935 and was on operational flying during the war. He joined the RAF in 1933 to become a bomber pilot. He was Officer Commanding No. 82 squadron in 1940 and RAF Waddington in 1943. After the War he went on to command RAF Tangmere in 1951 and RAF Odiham in 1953. After a long and distinguished career in the Royal Air Force Lord Sam Elworthy retired to New Zealand and died 4 April, 1993 in Christchurch. He was the son of Percy A. Elworthy and a grandson of Edward Elworthy from Somerset, UK, who first settled in South Canterbury in 1864. He was educated at Marlborough College, England and attended Cambridge and graduated in law at Trinity (M.A., 1933). In 1935 was offered a commission in the R.A.F. Baron Elworthy was commander in chief in the Middle East (1960-63). Awarded the DSO in March 1941. He flew Blenheims on operations over north-west Europe in 1940-41, gaining the DSO. 'By his magnificent leadership and complete disregard of danger,' his citation read, 'he brought his squadron to the highest peak of war efficiency.' He was appointed Officer Commanding No. 82 Squadron in December 1940 and Group Captain responsible for Operations at HQ Bomber Command in May 1942 before being given command of RAF Waddington, Lincolnshirein April 1943, from which three squadrons of Lancasters operated and he became Senior Air Staff Officer at No. 5 Group in August 1944. Was a director of The British Petroleum Co.
Lord Elworthy of Timaru, a New Zealander who helped plan Britain's bombing campaign during World War II, died Monday, according to the New Zealand Press Association. He was 82. His son is Air Commodore the Hon Sir Timothy Elworthy KCVO. Director of Royal Travel for The Queen.
The Times [London, England] 6 April 1993: pg 21 Obit.
Marshal of the Royal Air Force Lord Elworthy, KG, GCB, CBE, DSO, LVO, DFC, AFC, Chief of Defence Staff, 1967-71, died on April 4 aged 82. He was born in Timaru, New Zealand, on March 23, 1911.
At the point at which he took over command of the RAF in 1963, the career of Charles Elworthy had been one of almost unalloyed brilliance. He was commanding a bomber squadron in 1940 within four years of being granted a permanent commission. In a single year of operations he won three medals, the DSO, DFC and AFC. In the early postwar period he established himself as one of the persuasive influences on the development of bomber tactics. As Commander-in-Chief in the Middle East for three years from 1960 he enabled Britain to be a stabilising force in a highly volatile region and in 1961 foiled an Iraqi attempt to seize Kuwait. A lawyer by education, he combined in abundant measure intellectual capacity with an ability to sway the minds of his fellow men and bend them to his opinion. Many thus felt it sad that, when he reached the top of his service, it was largely as the instrument of a government policy of swingeing defence cuts which hit the RAF particularly badly. When he became Chief of Defence Staff four years later it was, as he himself said, virtually to discharge the duties of an undertaker on all three forces. He felt these humiliations keenly. His senior colleagues found it ironic that the RAF should have to suffer so badly under one of its youngest and most able commanders. Some looked for his resignation as a point of honour as they did those of the other service chiefs. Elworthy felt he ought to stay in place, if only to try to minimise damage through repeated warnings of the consequences of defence cuts. It was not his fault that those warnings were totally ignored. Sam Elworthy, as he was known throughout his service career was born in New Zealand, the son of a wealthy farmer. He was sent to Britain to be educated at Marlborough and Trinity College, Cambridge. There he read law and was a keen oarsman, rowing for the First Trinity Boat Club and twice reaching the semi-final of the Ladies Plate at Henley Regatta. At Cambridge he learnt to fly and subsequently joined 600 (City of London) Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force, a bomber unit. He graduated in law in 1933 and was called to the Bar in 1935. But after less than a year at Lincoln's Inn, he joined the RAF and was given a permanent commission. After a year with No 15 Squadron he was appointed personal assistant to the AOC-in-C Bomber Command. For one so junior this was an acknowledgement of the powers of analysis and organisation that were later to take him to the top. Soon after the outbreak of war, he was sent to an operational training unit to prepare young bomber pilots and navigators for operational flying. Although important, this job did not recommend itself to a man who was itching to get to grips with the enemy. Elworthy restlessly agitated for a transfer to an operational unit and in December 1940 was given command of No 82 Squadron, equipped with Blenheims. To a man less totally dedicated this might have seemed something of a poisoned chalice. The Blenheim, wretchedly inadequate for its task, with a maximum bomb load of 1,000lb, was a poor cousin of the vastly superior Wellington. Indeed No 82 had been so savaged during the Battle of France that it had been deemed no longer to exist after one raid in which it had lost 11 out of 12 aircraft. Only the vigorous exertions of its then leader, Wing Commander the Earl of Bandon, had saved it from extinction as a fighting unit.
Now, based in Norfolk, it had the thankless task of trying to inflict damage on Axis shipping and on targets in occupied territories. Elworthy rose above the technical shortcomings of his equipment and through sheer force of personality and flying skills welded it into a remarkably effective force. By the end of the year he had not only managed to avoid getting killed a considerably more than 50-50 chance for a bomber squadron commander over 12 months of operations in those days but he had been awarded the AFC, DFC and DSO. Rested from operations, he next had staff appointments at No 2 Group and at Bomber Command headquarters where his experience and success as a squadron commander were useful in the planning of future bomber tactics. For a year from the spring of 1942 he commanded RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire, before being transferred back to Bomber Command HQ and then to No 5 Group where he ended the war as senior staff officer. His reputation as both operational commander and staff officer was, by then, a matter of discussion in the senior echelons of the RAF. From 1945 to 1947 he commanded the Central Bomber Establishment and led its first overseas liaison mission to the Far East, Australia and New Zealand. His appointment as CBE in 1946 recognised his contribution to the development of bomber tactics and the testing of new equipment. Among subsequent postings were secondments to the new Indian and Pakistani air forces and in 1953 he was selected to command the RAF station Odiham where the Queen's Coronation Review was held in June of that year. The success of this RAF occasion earned him appointment as MVO (fourth class) subsequently translated to LVO. From command of the RAF Staff College, Bracknell, he became Deputy Chief of the Air Staff in 1959. But in the following year this appointment was cut short when he was sent to Aden as Commander-in-Chief Middle East. It was a testing time. The region was politically unstable and trouble was never far below the surface. The increasing tempo of Arab nationalism was beginning to concentrate its attentions on the British presence in Aden. Among Britain's tasks were protection of her oil interests, defence of the nascent Federation of Sheikhdoms against Yemen and support for the Sultan of Muscat and Oman against rebellious elements. But the most pressing danger was the longstanding claim on Kuwait by President Kassim of Iraq. As soon as he arrived in Aden, Elworthy moved fast to complete a reorganisation of the Aden headquarters to enable the command to be reinforced by balanced forces in strength and at speed. Training was pressed forward relentlessly in temperatures which often reached 125F (46C). Within six months the new headquarters had become a symbol of Britain's will and capacity to intervene anywhere in the Middle East in defence of her own or her allies' interests. This contingency planning was not completed a moment too soon. On June 25, 1961, Kassim suddenly and vociferously renewed his claim that Kuwait was part of Iraq. Soon afterwards British intelligence reported that a large Iraqi armoured force was massing close to the Kuwaiti frontier. The British government immediately ordered Elworthy to reinforce Kuwait. Commandos from the aircraft carrier Bulwark, en route from the Far East, were ashore by July 1. In a few hours they had secured the airport, allowing a squadron of Hunter jet fighters to be flown in. More commandos were brought in from Aden while elements of the Coldstream Guards arrived from Bahrain. Two troops of Centurion tanks were disembarked from the landing ship Striker. Thus by nightfall small but effective infantry forces with armour and air support were in position to counter an Iraqi threat. Over the following days more armour and infantry with the most modern anti-tank missiles arrived to build the defenders up to a full-strength brigade. Faced with this armed resolve, the Iraqi tanks stayed where they were. It was a lesson in deterrence, which stands in marked contrast to the indecision which necessitated the dispatch of a huge and costly multinational expeditionary force to perform the same task in 1991. In September 1963 Elworthy returned to the United Kingdom to become Chief of the Air Staff. He brought to the Air Ministry a wealth of experience and a fund of good will. Outwardly the RAF appeared to be a happy and efficient service with a great future ahead of it. But the new Chief of Air Staff was destined to preside over some of the heaviest cuts ever administered to the services. After an unhappy four years the situation had not in any way changed when, in August 1967, he became Chief of Defence Staff. Many of his greatest admirers regretted that such a brilliant career in the RAF should have ended coincidentally with the introduction of a redundancy scheme for the services which became operative almost on the day he handed over as Chief of the Air Staff. Many officers and men left the service disappointed and disillusioned. Nevertheless, Sam Elworthy will be remembered for his many personal qualities. His unhappy time at the top of his profession does not detract from his qualities as a strategic thinker of the highest calibre and as a leader able to translate theory into concrete activity. From 1971 to 1978 he was Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle and from 1973 to 1978 Lord Lieutenant of Greater London. In 1972 he was made a life peer. He retired to live in New Zealand in 1978. He married, in 1936, Audrey Hutchinson, who died in 1986. They had three sons and one daughter. [Lord Elworthy�s son, Sir Timothy is the Queen�s Director of Travel.]
The Times, Tuesday, Apr 02, 1968; pg. 10
The engagement is announced between Christopher Ashton, youngest son of Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Charles Elworthy, G.C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O., M.V.O., D.F.C., A.F.C., M.A., and Lady Elworthy, of London and Catherine Ann, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs H.B.L. Johnstone, of Waimate, New Zealand. Service record.
Promoted to:Group Captain 1942 Air Vice Marshal 1957 Deputy Chief of Air Staff1960 Air Marshal 1960 Commander-in-Chief, British Forces, Arabian Peninsula 1960 Knighted 1961 Chief of Air Staff 1963 Marshal of the RAF Apr 1 1967 Chief of Defense Staff 1967-1971 of the Royal Air Force Constable & Governor of Windsor Castle 1971
The New York Times July 7, 1961
Samuel Charles Elworthy was born fifty years ago at Gordon's Valley, Timaru, New Zealand, where his father, an officer of the Life Guards Regiment...
Timaru Herald 19 January 2004 A Garter Knight banner.
Home-Coming: The banner of the late Samuel Charles Elworthy, Grand Knight Commander of the Bath, is now hanging in St Mary's Church, Timaru after being brought home from St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. The banner, which features the Elworthy coat of arms, was presented to the church at a special service on Saturday and is now hanging in the St Michael and All Angels Chapel. Archdeacon Philip Robinson lead the service.
11 Dec. 1998: Fairlie born and Timaru educated Air Vice-Marshal Carey Adamson appointed chief of New Zealand's defence forces.
Timaru Herald Monday 30 March 1891
Messrs Targuse and Pringle having last week completed building a granary for Mr Edward Elworthy at Holme Station, Pareora, the occasion was celebrated by Mr Elworthy giving a "social" for the men who had been engaged in building, and to his employees on the station. The gathering was a great success, the dance music being supplied by Messrs Woods' string band, and there being an abundance of excellent refreshments of every kind supplied. Mr, Mrs, and Miss Elworthy extended to everybody a hearty welcome.
The Silver Tussock (Pareora river basin/ Timaru) by Allister Evans. First published by The Timaru Herald Company Ltd., Timaru, 1975. A history of Holme Station, Craigmore, Maungati, Cannington, Craigmore Downs, Motukaika, Upper Pareora and Alpine from the 1860s onwards. Hb dj 235pp b&w photos and drawings and maps. Extract: H.L. Fenn
The Elworthy family had a family reunion at Holme Station in March 2009.
Edward's Legacy The Elworthys of South Canterbury by David Elworthy and Ros Henry Elworthy Ltd. Limited Edition of 600 copies. March 2011 Index
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project