Four Peaks - especially magnificent in winter
Runs 240 and 255 - Mount Four Peaks
Run No. 546 - Mount Four Peaks leasehold, Edward Louis Clogstoun
The 30,000 acres (12140 ha.) Fourpeaks run, Geraldine, South Canterbury, N.Z., was first occupied by the Aikman Bros. in 1857. In October 1860 they sold it to James Dupre Lance. Lance soon sold (1861) Four Peaks to Sherbrooke and Lancelot Walker, brothers, from who J.D. Lance had purchased Horsley Down, in North Canterbury. The Walkers and Lance did a swap. The Walkers had been in partnership with Mr. J.W. Mallock of Horsley Down so Lance probably took over their share and became a part owner in Horsley Down with Mallock. John Mallock never called himself a doctor as he didn't finish his medical training which I believe in those days involved several years at a big London hospital such as Guy's before being registered.
Clayton Station (Runs 331 and 370) is (over the range) behind Four Peaks, to the west and is surrounded by Mesopotamia, Mt Peel, Orari Gorge, Four Peaks and Sherwood Downs. Clayton Station (Run 370) (3440ha) was taken up by Aikman and Le Cren in 1860 and Run 331 was allotted to Kennaway, Lee and Acland in 1861 and the license was transferred to the Kennaway Bros. After the lost of sheep in the 1862 snow the Kennaway's sold Clayton to the Walker's and Captain Louis Clogstoun, owners of Four Peaks. They worked Clayton separately from Four Peaks as a 5000' range divided the stations homesteads. Even today up the Te Moana Gorge there is a track that goes all the way to the top of the range and down the other side to the Clayton-Sherwood farming districts on the far side.
Before purchasing Clayton, the Walkers first home was a thatched roof hut located at the back of their Fourpeaks run and the front of Clayton, about three miles from the Clayton homestead. As was common in those days, the hut was destroyed by fire. On spotting the smoke, people from Clayton rushed to the rescue only to find Lancelot calmly cooking his breakfast in the ashes as wrote Kennaway in Crusts page 216. 'Throwing ourselves from our horses, we dashed up to him, calling out" "Good heavens! Walker, what on earth can be done?" to which his whole and sole reply was : "My dear fellow, allow me to offer you a chop!"'
That is Lancelot Walker sitting on the bench. He was cooking three mutton chops inside his "house" and the fat in the frying pan caught fire and as he was carrying the frying pan outside he was blinded by the smoke and the flames licked the inner low thatch roof. He rushed back in and threw everything he came to out the window - pots and pans, bedding, plates (all tin), his gun, powder, a table, sugar, flour and tea and escaped smoked and singed.
Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 13 December
1862, Page 3
Fire at Four Peaks - We heard that Walker's station, at Four Peaks, Timaru district, was destroyed by fire on Saturday last. The particulars have not yet reached us. — Id.
Sherbourne Walker died in 1873 and Captain Clogstoun in January 1882. Lancelot Walker sold Clayton to Hugh Hamilton and sons in 1881 and the mountain range known as Mount Four Peaks to Charles George Tripp of Orari Gorge Station. Lancelot retained Four Peaks Station and earned himself the reputation of having more managers than anyone else in Canterbury but his shepherd remained at Four Peaks for over forty years. His managers left for many reasons including a dislike of steep hills and the winter. Often mustering was done on foot with dogs as it was dangerous to have horses on the hills. In 1917 some of Clayton leasehold was taken for closer settlement, a returned soldiers settlement.
Grey River Argus, 15 March 1917, Page 3
TIMARU LAND BALLOT. SUCCESSFUL SOLDIERS.
Timaru March 14,
The Land Board to-day by ballot disposed of five grazing runs and a sub-division, part of the Clayton run near Fairlie and one at Burkes Pass went to discharged soldiers. There were nine applicants for the six runs. The successful men were — Caskey, Jones, Trotter and McConnel of Fairlie, Galing [Galwey], Christchurch and Guinness, Timaru. For eight farms at the Cricklewood soldier settlement there were only two applicants and these were given a farm each at the upset rental. They were: Horgan and Waddell, both of Christchurch.
The yellow box marks the Clayton Pack Track.
2008: History is repeating itself after a 127 years. Four Peaks Station now includes land on both sides of the range, the Sherwood Downs, Fairlie side and the Geraldine side. The Clayton Pack Track runs from Te Moana, following Leishmans Stream, through Four Peaks to Galwey's. In September 2008, a freeholded Clayton Settlement run, section 3, "Choubra" of 3, 580 acres (1,450 hectares) on the north-west side of Sherwood Downs was sold to Steve McAtamney, owner of Four Peaks, his father is from Woodbury. The property had been in the Galwey family for three generations since 1917 and the clearing sale 26th Sept. included antique horse gear and machinery and numerous sundries accumulated over the past 91 years. Stephen McAtamney now has the Four Peaks run, he had purchased it from Julian Truesdale, but not the homestead block. The Four Peaks homestead is now a lodge. Trip report up the Clayton Rd to from Dry Creek along the Phantom River, up to the trip station at 988 m, down to the headwaters of the Orari. 4WD
2001: This sardine musterers' hut on the Low Claytons was built in the 1880s by Mt Peel Station hands.
Mount Ida Chronicle, 2 July 1920, Page 3
The Shepherds' Huts of Yesterday.
They lie in lonely places,
Covered with thistles and grass—
A pile of Stone at Ross's Creek,
A clay mound at Lindis Pass;
Some caved-in walls at the Tarras,
And out on the Hawkdun's brow
A few charred sticks of a shepherd's hut—
Where are the old huts now?
Ask the winds that blow that way,
Question the melting snow,
But the shepherds' huts of yesterday
Are missing long ago.
The shepherds' huts of yesterday—
Miles from the busy town.
With youth astride on the saddle,
The pack bags brimming full;
Bluegrass up to the stirrup,
And tbe world seemed made of wool.
You threw the reins on the wither,
And followed the bridle track
Till you saw a smoke ladder rising
From a shepherd's hut out back.
You carried a message to Jock M'Kay,
A letter to Sandy and Mack
To the shepherds' huts of yesterday
By the lonely hills out back.
The tingling bell is long broken
And lost, and I see a few
White bleaching bones by the big lagoon—
A hoof and a rusty shoe.
Silent now are the kelpies,
The clink of the snaffle chain.
Dumb are the clicking axles
Of bullock drays crossing tbe plain,
With a rolling gait and a dreamy way,
Steadily side by side,
To the shepherds' huts of yesterday,
In days when the world was wide.
In fancy I bear the kelpies
Barking again at the moon;
The sound of hobble chains clinking
By the side of the small lagoon.
The morepork's call on the chimney;
The rustling mice in the thatch;
The moan of the wind on the gable;
The creak of the rusty latch.
I see an old swagman coming the way,
And lots of good stories he'd bring—
At the shepherds' huts of yesterday
He was as welcome as a king.
O'er the valley a motor scorches
Where you rode the old grey hack
A graded, broad road covers
The snake-like bridle track.
Where a shepherd ran the boundary
A wire fence stretches now,
And the silver tussock valleys
Are furrowed by the plough.
By the bleak hillside the children play
Near homesteads built so grand,
But the shepherds' huts of yesterday
Have vanished from the land.
My droving days are now over,
The dogs, the horse, saddle and whip
Lie on time's scrap heap rusting —
Dumb friends on life's gallant trip—
What? That damp spot on my glasses?
Rain —no! Well I declare—
A tear for the old huts now lying
In lonely graves out there.
I wish I was once more on the way
To spend a year or two
At the shepherds' huts of yesterday
With the old pals that I knew.
Musterers, young and fit, and the mature, with their own dogs would arrive at home before the break of dawn and we would soon be up high above the mist looking over the Sherwood Downs. The same men would come back year after year and tackle the same beat and the sheep would follow the same sheep tracks that sheep on previous years had followed off the sunny high tussock front faces and shaded back blocks down shingle scree and spurs and round sugar loafs and down the gullies passing snowgrass, Spaniards and chuckor, the Indian partridge chuka (nearly flightless when driven uphill) and old burned Totara logs, crystal clear streams, native bush to the woolshed shed paddocks were the sheep would be drafted and counted and the neighbours called to collect their stray sheep. A few weeks later we would do a scratch muster and pick up the stragglers and a few woollies. Often neighbours and relatives worked together year after year. High country sheep stations and runs were ran on an annual cycle of autumn mustering and pre lamb shearing with remote musterers’ huts and shearing sheds near the homestead.
Farmers have had to find ways to diversify. Pack tracks crises-crossed the South Island and were built for many purposes including droving and now some of the tracks have been transformed for agritourism - into scenic walking trails. Since 2006 Jo & Steve near Sheep Dip Road, Four Peaks, Geraldine have opened up a side business, a walking track on their property and the track is very popular, November to April with the number of trampers is controlled to eight a day. This is private property so obtain permission from Steve before tramping to Devil's Peak and Fiery Peak or the Clayton Pack Track or any walk. It is possible to leave a car on the Leishmans Stream Rd, off the Te Moana Rd, at the junction with the Clayton Pack Track and follow the CPT over the first saddle, down into Frasers Stream then up the next saddle between Devil's Peak and Mt Walker. After a steep hike up onto the ridge walk along the ridgeline. Excellent views of both sides of the range.
The track was used in the early station days by musterers' with dogs and fencers - fencing supplies for snow line fencers were taken out by packhorses. Supplies to finish off the huts were also packed out on horses with pack saddles, a dangerous job on the hills, or on the backs of men and from the seventies by helicopter. During the stations early days' musterers huts were built of local stone with a corrugated roof, with hemp bunk beds white with bird, starling, droppings and never in sight of each other. The earlier boundary keeper huts were lower down and near a stream but musterers' huts were often up high on the back of a hill with great views or in sheltered isolated gully or on a small flat, others were on the longer tracks with some sheep yards or a grassed clearing for horses. A few huts have withstood the snow storms and can be found on both sides of the Four Peaks Range and the Two Thumb Range. One of the huts I was familiar with the Devil's Den Hut behind the Two Thumb Range, up the North Opuha Gorge and that was constructed from readily available material - local river boulders with a very steep corrugated iron roof and only one room but it was torn down by A.T. as the corrugated iron roof had caved in during a snow and it was thought to be a danger! Many of the huts were named and had ditties written on the walls and they were drafty and cold just like the top pub in Fairlie!
Musterers' and their dogs in front of a hut, Orari Gorge Station,1943. Mt Peel
Kaiwarua Station, Glenmore mustering, Mt Somers 1 Hut Four Peaks Musterers
There is a stiff 250 metre climb out of the stream to Crooked Spur Hut, a well-appointed Mesopotamia musterers hut.
'Snow on the foothills.' This photo was taken up the Te Moana Rd, Geraldine, 22 August 2006, shows the four peaks are as follows:
Devils Peak 1,587 m
Fiery Peak 1,525 m - rocks on top
Waihi Peak 1,478 m - the smallest of the four peaks
Tripps Peak 1,653 m at the back of Blue Mountain station
Two of the lesser hills are called Mt Edith and Mt Catherine after Tripp family members. Mt Walker, 5425 ft, a flat top knob, far left, was named after the Walker brothers owners of Four Peaks Station 1861 to 1912 which is when the station was sold to the Government for closer settlement. Nearby is Saddle Peak and Blue Mountain a large round top to the right stretching for three miles, is covered with rock, snow grass and with snow during the winter months. Clayton, Blue Mountain, Lochaber, Mickleburn and Mowbray stations, the Clayton Settlement and the Sherwood Downs district are on the other side of the Four peaks Range. To the north of the ridge Walkers Spur, Butler Saddle (1727m) at the head of the North Opuha River provides access into the upper Rangitata River from the Clayton side. Walker's Saddle was also named after the brothers.
Places with in 6kms of Fiery Peak Blue Mountain Pass
Clayton Pack Track
Four Peaks Range
Hae Hae Te Moana River North Branch
Know a districts roads, hills and streams, and you know half its history.
Today Four Peaks is a close knit farming district eight miles from Geraldine. The Four Peaks range, can be seen from the plains and main highways within South Canterbury, excluding west of Burkes Pass. Travel out of Geraldine west towards Fairlie, cross Speechly's Bridge, under which the little stream Hae Hae Te Moana flows to the sea (mona means the sea), the Te Moana Rd will be on the right and head towards the hills. The road turns into a shingle road just past the old Te Moana School and heads all the way to the Te Moana Gorge and beyond. The road to Four Peaks is the last turn to the right, Sheep Dip Road.
Four Peaks news snippets
Walker Bros., & Clogstoun, Four Peaks Station
West Coast Times, 11 November 1872, Page 2
The Timaru Herald reports the initiation of a new industry in that district. "Over three hundred roughly cured pig-skins recently came to hand from the Mount Four Peaks station, and found a ready, buyer in our market. During the last, few months upwards of 1000 wild pig's have been slaughtered upon the Four Peaks and adjoining runs, the killers getting so much per tail for their labor — and the 300 skins are from the choicest, and, as to distance, the most convenient of the animals killed. These wild pigs are a curse to the station master, destroying not only large slices of country through grubbing up the soil in search of roots, but also the old boars are not over scrupulous, now and again about helping themselves to a bit of lamb. In the London market pig-skins command a high. price."
Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 20 November 1872, Page 3
The Timaru Herald announces the arrival in town from an up-country station (Mount Four Peaks) over 300 roughly-cured pig-skins. During the last three months upwards of 1,000 wild pigs had been killed on this station, and these skins were the choicest, and as to distance most convenient to the animals killed.
Grey River Argus, 5 May 1879, Page 2
Hares are increasing so rapidly at Mount Four Peaks, the Levels Station, and Peel Forest (South Canterbury), that poison has been laid to decrease the numbers.
Timaru Herald, 18 March 1882, Page 4
THE PARTNERSHIP between LANCELOT WALKER and EDWARD LOUIS CLOGSTOUN, Sheepfarmers, having been DISSOLVED by the death of the latter, the Business will in future be carried on under my name only. L. WALKER. Four Peaks, March 14th, 1882.
Taranaki Herald, 13 October 1884, Page 3 Turf Items.
The thoroughbreds burnt to death at Mr. L. Walker's, Four Peaks Station, were the brood mare Lady Ravensworth (dam of King Arthur) and her yearling by Trump Card.
Grey River Argus, 20 September 1884, Page 2 Granary and Stables Burned.
Timaru, September 18. The granary and stables at the Four Peaks Station property, Lancelot Walker, was totally destroyed by fire, and two valuable thoroughbreds perished. Insurance, £1250 in the Union. The loss is about £800 over this.
Timaru Herald January 27th 1894
The following are further particulars of the death of a shepherd referred to by us yesterday: Mr Alexander McIntosh, better known as “Black Sandy,” died at Four Peaks Station from exhaustion on the 23rd inst. He was mustering on Mr Tripp’s run, Orari Gorge, and was taken seriously ill at one of the back huts. He was taken to Four Peaks as being nearest, and died in 24 hours. He had been 30 years off and on with Mr Tripp, and was also for some time head shepherd at Mistake Station, Mackenzie Country. He was buried on January 25th at Woodbury, his funeral being largely attended.
Otago Witness, 4 September 1901, Page 50
The Temuka Leader states that a party of pig-hunters had some splendid sport on the ranges, about 10 or 12 miles to the back of Four Peaks Station, going out with several of the Orari Gorge station hands. The party met at Four Peaks station, where half a dozen mules were packed with swags and a start was made for Pleasant Gully hut. The party traversed the hills for a couple of days, and found any amount of interesting not to say exciting sport. Pigs were plentiful, and with gun and dog they succeeded in bringing to earth no fewer than 25 pigs in the two days. Heavy snow lay on the ground, which made climbing somewhat difficult, but in spite of all obstacles a thoroughly enjoyable time was spent.
Otago Witness, 3 December 1902, Page 45
The hills, from Mount Torlesse as far south as Four Peaks, have received a fresh coating of mow, but very few sheep have yet been shorn in that country, to that little harm can have been done.
Daily Southern Cross, 2 October 1860, Page 6
Auckland Post Office. Unclaimed Letters. - Walker, Sherbrooke
[This means Sherbrooke Walker was in New Zealand before September 1860]
Evening Post, 17 February 1873, Page 2
Mr. Sherbrooke Walker, of Mount Four Peaks, known to many Wellington people, died on the 10th instant in Christchurch.
Timaru Herald, 12 February 1873, Page 3
From a private source we learn that Mr Sherbrooke Walker, of Mount Four Peaks station, died at his temporary residence in Christchurch on Sunday evening. Mr Walker had been only seriously ill for a very short time, but he was not considered to be in serious danger. The cause of death was congestion of the lungs. His loss will be much felt in this district, where he was widely known as a kind and hospitable gentlemen. [He was buried in the Barbados Street Cemetery]
Star, 13 February 1873, Page 2
The funeral of the late Mr Sherbrooke Walker took place at three o'clock yesterday afternoon, and was largely attended. The cortege started from his late residence, Oxford Terrace, at 3 o'clock, and included at least one hundred persons. Messrs Lance, Mallock, E.W. Milett, L. Harper, Watts, Russell and G.B. Parker, acted as pall bearers, and on arrival at the cemetery, the burial service was read by the Rev. E.A. Lingard, incumbent of the parish in which deceased had resided.
Evening Post, 17 February 1873, Page 2
Mr. Sherbrooke Walker, of Mount Four Peaks, known to many Wellington people, died on the 10th instant in Christchurch.
Otago Witness, 11 September 1880, Page 19
From "Sinbad" I learn that Trump Card will be used by Mr Lancelot Walker during the coming season to serve the mares at his station. I don't know if Mr Walker has any thoroughbred mares of any account now, but if he has not it seems a thousand pities that a horse of Trump Card's breeding, shape, and temper should be relegated to the obscurity of station life.
Lancelot Walker, 1829-1907
Runholder, politician and race horse owner. Owned Four Peaks Station, Geraldine, South Canterbury. Member of Provincial Council for Geraldine 1870-1871, and Member of Parliament for Akaroa 1863-1866. He was one of the few remaining life members of the Legislative Council, a keen sportsman, and was a steward of the Canterbury Jockey Club almost from its inception.
Evening Post, 22 May 1907, Page 7
Another vacancy has been caused in the Legislature Council by the death of the Hon. Lancelot Walker, which occurred at his residence, Four Peak Station, near Geraldine, on Sunday. The Christchurch Press says that Mr. Walker had been in ill-health during the past year, and on that account was not in his place in Parliament last session. In his younger days he served in the Grenadier Guards in India. He came out from England to Canterbury about 1856, and sat, in the House of Representatives for Akaroa from 1863 to 1865. He was returned as member for Ashley in 1866. In May, 1885, he was called to the Legislative Council; The deceased gentleman was a prominent figure in the sporting world some years ago, owning several horses running at the meetings of the Canterbury Jockey Club. He was a very old member of the club, and had been in the list of stewards of the club for many years. Four Peaks Station, Te Moana, near Geraldine, which was owned by the late Mr. Walker, comprises about 3270 acres of freehold and 19,000 acres of leasehold land. From 11,000 to 12,000 sheep are run on the estate. A portion of it has also been cultivated with good results. Mr Walker was 78 years of age at the time of his death.
Taranaki Herald, 21 May 1907, Page 2
Temuka, May 21. The Hon. Lancelot Walker, M.L.C., died at his residence, Four Peaks Station, near Geraldine, on Sunday. Deceased had been ailing for the past year, and on that account was not in his place in Parliament last session. Deceased, who .was aged 78, arrived in Canterbury from England in 1856, and sat in the House of Representatives for Akaroa and Ashley, and in 1885 was called to the Council.
New Zealand Free Lance, 25 May 1907, Page 12
The Hon. Lancelot Walker, M.L.C., who died at his South Canterbury station, Four Peaks, on Sunday last, was about the last of the big Southern squatters who used to be so well represented in the Upper House. He was rather a picturesque figure their. Tall, stalwart, and of erect carriage, there was no mistaking his military bearing. He was in the Grenadier Guards in his youth, and to the last bore all the appearance of a retired colonel or general - the square shoulders, the iron grey moustache twisted to a point, the correct dress finishing up with spats over the boots, all proclaimed the old soldier. Mr. Walker always stayed at the Club on the Terrace during session time. In the Council he was an infrequent speaker, but when he did rise in debate always delivered, himself with vigour and point, but studied military brevity.
You enter the property through a plantation of Linden trees and out to the front an extensive lawn surrounded by a mature garden of rhododendrons, magnolias, rose garden with box hedging and a large patio. At the bottom of the formal garden there is a private bush walk displaying kauri trees, silver ferns and Mount Peel lilies.
1912: Crown Land in the Canterbury Land District offered for sale or lease - Four Peaks Settlement 16 Sections. Renewable Lease.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 25 February 1903, Page 3 Sale of Crown Lands.
Timaru, February 24. Sixteen pastoral runs, situate in the Mackenzie, Geraldine, and Waimate counties, and owned by the Crown, were submitted to auction today by Commissioner Humphries. Mount Nessing, Otaia, Waitungi, Four Peaks, Sherwood Downs, and Ashwick were the only runs disposed of. All were secured by the present occupiers at upset rentals. The sale was well attended, but lacked animation.
Upon Lancelot’s death in 1907, his executors managed Four Peaks until it was sold in 1911 to the Government for settlement. The homestead block was eventually sold in the early 1920s to John S. Barker and his wife Evelyn who had the current homestead built in 1924-25.
Evening Post, 26 December 1911, Page 7
The Four Peaks Station, near Geraldine, in Canterbury, consisting of 2,797 acres, together with 10,600 acres of Crown land adjoining, held under pastoral lease, has been acquired by the Government for closer settlement.
Grey River Argus, 27 April 1912, Page 5
For seven small grazing runs of 700 to 3,000 acres in the sub-division of the Four Peaks run, there are 398 applicants. The ballot lakes place to-morrow.
Evening Post, 29 April 1912, Page 3
BALLOT FOR LAND. Timaru, This Day.
The following is the result of the Four Peaks ballot :—
Block 1. — 730 acres, half-yearly rental £67 10s, Cecilia Shaw (Woodbury)
Block 2. — 1316 acres, half-yearly rental £114 15s, John M'Gregan (Linwood)
Block 3. — 994 acres, rental £85 l0s, Andrew Cowan (Highfield)
Block 4. — 2732 acres, yearly rental £144. Reginald T. Richards (Geraldine)
Block 5. — 889 acres, rental £61 17s 6d, Mary Dow (Cave)
Block 6. — 1214 acres, rental £76 15s, Margaret Munroe (Amberley)
Block 7. — 3283 acres, rental £112 10s, Robert Fairbairn (Christchurch)
Block 8. — 1532½ acres, rental £101 5s, Allan (Waikouaiti)
Evening Post, 29 May 1912, Page 9
The engagement is announced in the Canterbury Times, of Miss Eva Izard, youngest daughter of Mr. William Izard, to Mr. R. Richards, of Four Peaks.
Ashburton Guardian, 8 December 1916, Page 7
IN CANTERBURY DISTRICT.
WELLINGTON, December 7. In an interview concerning the operations of the Government under the Discharged Soldiers' Settlement Act, the Minister of Defence, dealing with the Canterbury district, said:— "The number of returned soldiers settled in this district is three. The area held by them is 755 acres, being all agricultural land. The selectors have been such a short time on the land that one can scarcely say how they are likely to progress, but so far their progress is satisfactory. The area set apart still. A available for selection is 559 acres, of which 516 acres represents dairying land. The total area being prepared for settlement for soldier settlers is 59,033 acres, made up as follows:— Acres.
Cheviot Estate ... ... 3,453
Rollesby Run ... ... 12,570
Clayton Run ... ... 12,800
Lees Valley-Run ... 26,202
"Paddy's Market" ... 2,207
Bray's and Willis's Farms (near Fairlie) ... .... 1,750
The whole of this land is suitable for sheep, except the latter, which is agricultural land.
Timaru Herald 3 January 1882
On the 2nd January 1882, at Four Peaks Station. Edward Louis Clogstoun, aged 49 years. Captain Clogstoun, as a young man, saw service in India, going to that country in 1848, bearing a commission in the Punjaub Irregular Cavalry. He served through the terrible munity years, and retired from the army about the year 1860. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, and with the exception of a brief visit to England in 1865, he lived in the land of his adoption ever since, either at Mount Four Peaks on the run which he held conjointly with Messrs Walker Bros., or in Christchurch. On Sunday night the deceased gentleman retired to rest in apparently the most robust health, but at an early hour yesterday morning he was found dead in his bed. Disease of the heart was the cause of death, a disease which the lamented gentlemen was known to suffer from, but there was not the slightest indication that a fatal termination of the disorder was so imminent. The funeral is to take place at Riccarton probably to-morrow afternoon.
The Star 3 January 1882 page 3
This time we have to announce the death of Captain Clogstoun, a gentleman whose name has for many years been connected with sporting matters in Canterbury. he came to New Zealand in 1862, and was formerly in the Punjaub Irregular Cavalry. Captain Clogstoun was only 49 years of age at the time of his death, the news of which will be heard with regret by all who were acquainted with him.
The Star 4 January 1882
Captain Clogstoun, an old settler and prominent member of the Jockey Club, died suddenly from apoplexy on 2nd January. The funeral of the late Captain E.L. Clogstoun took place yesterday afternoon at the Riccarton cemetery. the service was performed by the Rev. C. Bowen, and upwards of 60 mourning friends followed the deceased gentleman to the grave.
Captain Clogstoun in 1865 was acting secretary for the Monster Calcutta Sweepstakes horse race in Christchurch and a steward on 24 April 1874 at the Inter provincial Steeplechases at Waimate.
Tuapeka Times, 3 June 1891, Page 6
A smart Anglo-Colonial wedding took place last week at St. Mary Abott's, Kensington, when Miss Lizzie Clogstoun, youngest daughter of the late Captain E. L. Clogstoun, of Mount Four Peaks, New Zealand, was united to Robert, eldest son of Major general Sir William Crossman, K.C.M.G., M.P. The Rev. Dr Linklater and Rev. Mr Peebles, respectively brother-in-law and uncle to the bridegroom, officiated at the ceremony. Sir William Crossman visited New Zealand in 1881 whilst inspecting and reporting upon the defences of the principal colonies.
Edward Louis CLOGSTOUN
Birth Date: 06 Feb 1832 St Peter Port, Guernsey
Parents: Samuel Matthew; Caroline Walcot
Notes: Bengal Cadet 1847/8
Event type: Baptism Date: 01 Jun 1832
Location: St Peter Port, Guernsey
Parents: Samuel Matthew; Caroline Walcot
Notes: Bengal Cadet 1847/8
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
James DuPre Lance 1829 - 1897
James Dupre LANCE
Baptism: 02 Apr 1829, British Protestant Chapel, Boulogne
Parents: James Edwin, Rev; Madelina Louisa
Notes: Addiscombe Cadet 1846
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Reference: L/MIL/9/212 f.437
Henry Porcher Lance 1832 - 1986
Otago Witness, 28 May 1886, Page 20 Racing News
The death of one of our oldest racing men in Mr H. P. Lance is announced. "Senex " writes as follows : — The announcement of the death of Mr Henry Porcher Lance, which took place at his residence, Okeover, on Wednesday evening, will be received with feelings of deep regret by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr Lance had been suffering for some weeks past from disease of the heart, but his illness being unknown beyond his family circle, the blow has fallen upon us with sudden force. Although not one of the original Canterbury pilgrims, Mr Lance arrived amongst us quite in the early days of the province, and in company with his brother, Mr J. D. Lance, M.H.R., the Hon. Lancelot Walker, and the late Mr J.W. Mallock, purchased (about 1859) the Heathstock and Horsleydown runs in North Canterbury, and he continued to hold a share in these properties till his death. Mr Lance was a member of the first Provincial Council in Canterbury, but beyond that he took no active part in politics; he was, however up to the date of his death intimately associated with all institutions connected with art and literature, and was endowed with a refined and cultivated taste in such matters. But it was in connection with racing that Mr Lance became so widely known, and the Canterbury turf owes to him much of that prestige she enjoyed in days gone by. One of the oldest and most energetic members of the Canterbury Jockey Club, it was owing to his and Mr Creyke's exertions that the first grandstand was erected at Riccarton the old stone stand which gave place some six years ago to the present edifice, which was also built under his superintendence. Mr Lance commenced his turf career very early in life for when an undergraduate at Oxford he was known as a very skilful steeplechase rider, and afterwards under the name of "Mr Dart" was acknowledged as one of the boldest and most accomplished gentlemen riders in England. Mr Lance was early connected with racing in Canterbury, his name being associated with such old identities as Market Gardener, Emmeline, The Count, and Golden Cloud; but it was not until he purchased Mr Redwood's stud in 1864 that he came prominently before us as a horse owner, and then we find him with Ladybird and Miss Lee running first and second for the Champagne Stakes and with many other high, class performers. Mr Lance returned to England in 1868, and returning here some ten years later was elected a life member of the Jockey Club as some slight acknowledgment of the great benefits he had conferred on that institution. Although not taking an active part in the management of the club for the last few years, he has always been intimately connected with racing in New Zealand, and the vacancy caused by his death will be keenly felt.
Papers Past Images online
Acland: Early Canterbury Runs online
Pinney, Robert Early South Canterbury Runs
Vance, Wm. High Endeavour: the Story of the Mackenzie Country
Mount Four Peaks Lodge Heritage page
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 872-879 Published 1903
FOUR PEAKS STATION, Te Moana, near Geraldine. This estate is owned by the Hon. Lancelot Walker, and comprises about 3270 acres of freehold and 19,000 acres of leasehold land. From 11,000 to 12,000 sheep, chiefly Merinos and half breds, are run on the estate. The homestead comprises the residence of the Hon. Mr. Walker, the manager's house and a large number of out buildings. A portion of the estate has been cultivated with good results, and the crops average from thirty-five to forty bushels per acre.
Mr. Lewis Reginald CORSBIE, Manager of the Four Peaks Estate, is a son of Mr. Lewis Edmond Corsbie, an old colonist [JP, Land valuer, living in St Albans, Christchurch in 1913.] He was born near Ashburton in 1872, and educated at the Normal school, Christchurch. Mr. Corsbie gained his experience in farming at Greenstreet farm, near Ashburton, under his father. Subsequently he served four years with the New Zealand Farmer's Co-operative Association in Christchurch, and later became part owner of the Rainbow run in Marlborough, where he remained for three years. On leaving "Rainbow," he was engaged in stock work for the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company and Mr. J.S. Josephs. In 1899 he was appointed to his present position at "Four Peaks." Mr. Corsbie has taken an active part in athletics, and was a prominent member of the Merivale Football senior team when it held the senior position.
Electoral - Gladstone District - 1876-77
Lachlan Andrew Macpherson, household, Mount Four Peaks, House at Mount Four Peaks station
Lancelot Walker, freehold, Mount Four Peaks, 20 acres, on run 240, section 7423
Sheep Owners Returns
No. of sheep on 31st May Walker and Clogstoun, Woodbury 1879 1880 1881 34,400 30,025 34,225
A typical station scene.
A six horse team bringing bales of wool from Clayton Station, to the Fairlie Railhead, circa 1894.
Looks like the photo was taken at the Clayton Rocks. The N. Opuha river crossing will be to the right out of the picture, with "Lilydale" property in the background. Climb the hills!
Clayton Rocks with Fox's Peak in the background. Weekly News (11 March 1915) Creator J. H. Townley Auckland
Timaru Herald 17 March 1877 pg1 Geoffry Potts George Hamilton - 1st Nov. 1886
Mount Four Peaks from Albury. [188-]. 1 watercolour. Lysaght, Mary Grace Caroline, 1850?-1936? : Shows a mountain range from across rolling countryside. In the right foreground is a trellis with a climber (possibly wisteria) growing on it.
Sketch of Four Peaks from near Woodbury, c. 1885 artist unknown.
Watercolour. Raworth, William Henry, 1821-1904 : Mt Four Peaks station, 1871
Otago Witness, 17 July 1890, Page 39
Dear Dot. We bad rain here last week, but now the weather has cleared up, and Four Peaks are covered with snow. They look very pretty. In wet weather they can't be seen, because the mist comes right down. — Yours truly,
F. H. E. [Every] Homewood [sic] [?Holmwood], Pleasant Valley, July 8
Cluster genealogy involves search beyond your direct line to include your ancestors brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors and friends. Even if your family appears to be lacking in genealogist, perhaps theirs are not. Neighbours may actually turn out to be relatives.
The Te Moana River just follow the Te Moana Rd road to the hills. Photo by T. Gunnion.
Coopers Creek, Geraldine
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project