Published by Glimpses of New Zealand Publishing Co. Ltd. in 1896. Mr A. Fischer acknowledged for views of Timaru. Through the generosity of Peter Armstrong we view these images of South Canterbury. He found the book at a market stall in Sherborne, Dorset, UK and scanned in the images. Index to plates in book. The Christchurch City Central Library has "Glimpses of New Zealand" in the glass enclosure in the NZ Room. Posted April 17, 2001
71. Mount Cook
A well built and prettily situated sea-port town in South Canterbury, having a population, including suburbs, of over 6,000. Timaru has some extensive industries, the most important being large flour mills, woollen factory, meat freezing works, and wool-scouring and tannery works. The harbour, fifty acres in extent, was commenced in 1878, the entire harbour works costing nearly �300,000. On the S.E. side is a concrete breakwater 30 feet wide at the top, and having a total length of 2,428 feet. On the N.W. the harbour is enclosed by a rubble wall formed of large fragments of volcanic rock. The hospital, also shown below, is a suite of attractive and substantial buildings with beautifully kept grounds. Photographs taken by Mr. A. Fischer of Timaru.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb