At the inquest on the body of the late Ebenezer S. Hay, solicitor, who committed suicide while in a deranged state of mind through drink, a verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.
John Hay - pre-adamite settler
Timaru Herald, 4 October 1878, Page 3 THE FLOODS IN THE MACKENZIE COUNTRY.
The Tekapo Lake was so high on Monday last that Mr Richmond's station house, on the east side, was all under water but the ridge pale. Mr Cowan's house on the Peninsula, at the lower end of the lake, suffered very serious damage, and had to be entirely abandoned. At the Ferry, there was a stream of water three or four feet deep, running through the woolshed. The ferryman's boat was carried away, and the twin ferry-boats have been useless ever since. Up to yesterday morning there was no perceptible decrease m the water of the lake, which was up to within a foot or two of Mr McLeod's house. The water was at least twelve feet higher than has ever been known before.
Mr. & Mrs. Hay - Lake Tekapo
At the head of one of the lakes I have spoken of, Tekapo by name, - a Scotman had taken up some high country for sheep, and, - used to rough work in the Highlands; was quite content with the short fine summers, and bracing, but hard winters and wild winters of the place. He had nothing but untrodden ranges behind him, and his house looked low and pressed down by the silent solitude about it. His garden was bounded by the lake, for days the blue furrows of water would ripple quietly against the pebbles, but at times, lashed into a storm by westerly gales, waves, which would have been great by the sea-shore, broke and foamed upon the banks. Not a stone's throw from the water's edge, he and his wife and one shepherd lived, quite alone, -their house a perfect picture of cleanliness and thrift. - Laurence James Kennaway. CRUSTS a Settler's Fare due South. NZ 1863
Mr John Hay, sometime of Temuka, was the son of Mr James Hay of Symington, Scotland, and was born on the 26th of May, 1822, at Symington. He came out to New Zealand in the ship "Mandarin," [don't see Mr Hay on the passenger list] owned by his uncle, Mr James Raeburn, of Glasgow. At first he settled at the Hutt, near where that suburb of Wellington subsequently grew up, and where he joined his uncle, Mr Ebenezer Hay, who came out to New Zealand in February, 1840 [in the Bengal Merchant to Wellington.] [1842 still in Wellington]
In the end of 1842, Captain Sinclair and the Hay's set out in a vessel of their own [22 ton Richmond was built at Hutt River in 1842] to explore the South Island. [Capt. Francis Sinclair and wife Eliza McHutchison and their six children arrived in NZ in 1840 on the Blenheim.] They sailed as far south as Dunedin, and finally decided to settle at Pigeon Bay, Bank's Peninsula, [April 1843] which was then inhabited only by Maoris. The land in those days was covered with dense bush abounding in pigeons, hence the name given to the place; but the settlers at once set about clearing the bush and erecting buildings. [Sinclair d.1846 when taking a new schooner to Wellington] They also chartered a vessel [in 1855, the Gratitude] for intercolonial trading, exporting potatoes and dairy produce to Melbourne, and bringing back livestock and goods in exchange.
When the Canterbury pilgrims arrived in the "first four ships" in 1851, these early pioneers saw them sail past the mouth of the bay bound for Lyttelton. At this time, which is generally looked upon the dawn of Canterbury history, the Hays were already old settlers and has surrounded themselves with many of the comforts of civilization in the beautiful spot which they had made their home. [1856 on electoral roll]
Pew inside Church of the Good Shepherd, Tekapo. IN MEMORY OF John McHutchison and his wife Mary the first white woman to live in the Mackenzie and to cross the Tekapo River in 1856, to settle at The Wolds given by Misses F. and D. McHutchison, Mrs D.J. Canning and Mr N.J. Walton. John McHutchison was the brother of Mrs Sinclair.
Press, 28 January 1899, Page 9
Wellington, January 27. Mr John Mack Hutcheson, aged 82 years, a very old colonist and one of the best known and esteemed settlers in Marlborough, died at noon to-day. (The late Mr Hutcheson was well known in Canterbury. Having come out to New Zealand from Glasgow in 1840, he settled on the Hutt river, Wellington, and though he removed to Wanganui, he soon returned to the Hutt. In 1843, however, he settled at Pigeon Bay, Akaroa. He went to England in 1848, and while there was interested, with Captain Cargill, in securing the despatch of the first immigrants to Otago, in the ships John Wickliffe and Philip Laing. On his return to the colony he settled in Canterbury, and remained in this district till 1864, when he left for Nelson, where he and Mr McDonald re-opened a branch of the Union Bank. Later on he took up a cattle run in the Mackenzie Country, and it is stated that he was the first man, after Mackenzie, to wander over those plains. His nearest neighbour at this time was sixty miles away, and the loneliness of the life did not offer many attractions to Mr Hutcheson, who sold his property, the buyer, it is said, being a Mr Gladstone, a nephew of the late Prime Minister of England. Mr Hutcheson went into business in Blenheim in 1859, and resided in Marlborough ever since.)
Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 5 July 1856, Page 2 MARRIAGE.
At Bridge-street, Nelson, on the 4th instant, by the Rev. T. D. Nicholson, Mr. John Mack Hutcheson, youngest surviving son of the late James M. Hutcheson, Esq., of Kingston, Glasgow, to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. James Gorrie, Nelson.
1857 Hutcheson NR
1859 Hutcheson NR
1863 Hutcheson Francis Sinclair
1867 Hutcheson George Henderson
1873 Hutcheson Helen Eadie
1877 Hutcheson Jeannette Robertson
1881 Hutcheson Ronald Oliphant
1881 Hutcheson Robert Turnbull
1882 Hutcheson William
1885 Hutcheson Agnes Turnbull
Marlborough Express, 30 August 1906, Page 3 MRS J. M. HUTCHESON [Mary Gorrie married John Mack Hutcheson in 1856]
There passed away at her residence, Alfred Street, last evening, after a prolonged illness, a pioneer settler in the person of Mrs Hutcheson, relict of the late John Mack Hutcheson, whose demise occurred about seven years ago. The deceased lady, who had attained the age of 72 years, was born in Perth, Scotland, and came out to Nelson in the year 1847 in the ship "Phoebe Dunbar." In 1856 she was married at Nelson; and, along with her husband, left almost immediately for Canterbury, where the late Mr Hutcheson had bought some land in the Mackenzie Country. Landing at Pigeon Bay, near Lyttelton, where relatives had previously settled, they made preparations for what must have been a most eventful journey, in which they were accompanied by a nephew of Mr Hutcheson's. They had to "pack" along the beach southwards past Timaru (which consisted at that time of two or three houses), carrying a canoe with them, in which to cross the rivers which obstructed their way. Striking inland, they ascended the high country, and eventually reached the vicinity of Lake Tekapo, where they pitched camp. The late Mrs Hutcheson underwent experiences the relation of which was wont to entrance her auditors, and which eventually proved too trying for the party, who sold out and returned to Nelson. The deceased, after whom two geographical points in the lake region are named, the Mary range and Mary stream respectively, was the first white woman to go through Mackenize Pass and set foot in the lake region. The late Mr Hutcheson, on returning to Nelson, spent some months on the Collingwood diggings, and eventually arrived in the Wairau in 1859, settling at the Big Bush, on the southern bank of the Wairau River, about a mile below the present traffic bridge. The store erected there was the first building, with the exception of a small accommodation-house, in that district. Early in the year 1863 the late Mr Hutcheson removed to Blenheim, erecting the older part of the house in which the deceased lady expired, and in which the family have resided for 43 years. A brother of the late Mrs Hutcheson, Mr Gorrie, resides in Gore, Southland, and a sister is in Nelson. Four sons and one daughter�James and John of Blenheim, David, of Bulls, and Ronald, of Wellington, and Nellie, of Blenheim�are left to mourn the temporal loss of a good mother; and four sons and one daughter have predeceased her. The late Mrs Hutcheson was of a cheerful, kindly disposition, possessing a fund of ready wit, tempered with rare judgment, which made her acquaintance a thing to be sought, and her reminiscent stories extremely engaging. She has earned a happy release.
With the spirit of enterprise which characterized the early settlers, they had taken up a
pastoral run in the Mackenzie country, in April 1857, where Mr Hay had
taken up the Lake Tekapo
run 172, totalling 15,000 acres. Run 173 was taken up be Ebenzer Hay, an
uncle. The Mackenzie country was then a terra incognita, and Mrs [Barbara] Hay was the first lady to
penetrate beyond Burke's Pass, Mr and Mrs John Hay remained at Lake Tekapo until 1866, their
[cob] station-house, built on a small peninsula running out into the lake, being a well known halting place in the early days.
Within a year runs, 229 on the east side of the lake and run 244 on the west
side of the lake, was occupied by the Hay's.
In 1866, Mr Hay sold his run, Tekapo Station, to the MacPhersons, brothers in law to Alfred Cox, and took up his residence at Kakahu, near Temuka, having purchased a freehold property there a few years previously. There he resided until his death on the 20th October, 1891. His wife did not long survive him, dying on the 21st of February, 1894. Their family consists of one son, who resides at Kakahu and four daughters.
Years were tough due to snow storms. Alfred Cox took over the run until 1876. Andrew Cowan ran the station between 1876 and 1900. In 1900 Tekapo Station was purchased by Emil Schlaepfer who also owned Tasman Downs. In 1911 the station was divided. Emil Schlaepfer taking the homestead and 10,000 aces and Francis Lake McGregor being balloted the remaining 17,000 acres. Tekapo Station was sold to Vyvian LeCren in 1913 and then to Lucy Wills in 1929. She surrendered the station in 1948 and the homestead site was submerged in 1951 but the homestead was moved to Rollesby.
John Hay married Barbara McCreath, July 1858, at Pigeon Bay, and their honeymoon, was a month long, 170 mile journey to Tekapo in a six-team bullock dray, under which they slept. They had three horses and a mob of cattle. The horses were used to run down wild pig which Mrs Hay cured along the way. On the first census of the Mackenzie there were thirteen people living in the Mackenzie - four Fraser's at Ben Ohau station, three Gladstone's at Pukaki, five Hay's including a baby at Tekapo station, and a brother of John Hayhurst at Simons Pass. By 1860 the Tekapo run was stocked with 1500 sheep. Reference: High Endeavour by William Vance.
"Star" Christchurch Monday 4 January 1886
Birth - HAY - 28 Dec. at Mrs Grantham's, Cashel Street, Linwood. Wife of James Hay, Annandale, Pigeon Bay, a son.
Timaru Herald Thursday 22 October 1891 Death -
HAY - On 20th Oct., 1891 at his residence, Kakahu, John Hay, in his 70th year.
Obituary Timaru Herald Oct. 22 1891 pg 3. col. b
Timaru Herald Thursday 27 April 1887
Dunedin, April 20. Mr Ebenezer Hay, the solicitor, committed suicide this afternoon by cutting his throat. He was living with his sister. He was a single man and had been indulging rather freely.Otago Witness, 29 April 1887, Page 22
At the inquest on the body of the late Ebenezer S. Hay, solicitor, who committed suicide while in a deranged state of mind through drink, a verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.
Christchurch "Star" Thursday 4 March 1880 page 2 Death -
HAY - On 3 March at her residence, Annandale, Pigeon Bay, Agnes, widow of the late Ebenezer Hay, in her 60th year.
Funeral Notice - HAY: The friends of the late Mrs E. Hay of Pigeon Bay are informed that her funeral will leave St Andrews Church, on Friday afternoon 5 March at 4pm for the Scottish Cemetery.
Otago Witness, 1 March 1894, Page 27
Hay. On the 21st February (suddenly), at Burwood Parsonage, the residence of Rev. F. Inwood, New Brighton, Christchurch, Barbara Hay, widow of the late John Hay, of Kakahu, Temuka ; aged 66 years.
[Ebenzer Hay died 26 November 1863, while to while walking back to Lyttelton after visiting his lawyer. Ebenezer HAY, 51, fell over a steep bluff near the top of the Bridle Path, broke his neck]
Taranaki Herald, 10 July 1909, Page 2
Christchurch Press Association telegram states that Mr. Thomas Orr Hay, the news of whose death at Gothenburg (Sweden) on June 28 has been received here, was born at Hutt, Wellington, in 1842, and brought to Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula in 1843, by his father, the late Mr. Ebenezer Hay. He lived there till 1908, when he went on an extended European tour. He went to visit some Finns in Finland, who had worked for him, and was on his return when he contracted pneumonia. His father had established himself as a settler at Pigeon Bay prior to the arrival of the first four ships. Deceased married the only daughter of the Rev. Dr. John Guthrie, of Edinburgh.
Evening Post, 11 August 1909, Page 3
LONDON, 2nd July. Canterbury and Wellington residents will hear with the deepest regret of the death of Mr. Thomas Orr Hay, one of the pioneers of Banks Peninsula, which took place on Monday. Mr. Hay, with his wife and daughter, had been in the Old Country for more than a year, staying most of the time with relatives m Scotland, where he enjoyed a good deal of fishing. Quite recently he went across with his brother-in-law, Dr. Thomas Orr Guthrie, to Sweden, where they were touring in a- motor-car. At Gothenburg, Mr. Hay became ill with pneumonia, which caused his death. The greatest sympathy will be felt for , his, wife and family. Mr. Hay was closely associated with the rather romantic settlement of Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula. His father, Ebenezer Hay, was one of the original Scots settlers who arrived in the Bengal Merchant in 1840, under the aegis of Dr. Logan, the father of Mr. W. F. Logan, of Wellington. After endeavouring vainly to select land in the Wellington district for the ticket which he had purchased in England, Mr. Hay embarked with Captain Sinclair in the schooner Richmond, which was built in the Hutt River, for a voyage of exploration in the South Island, and as a result they decided to settle at Pigeon Bay, where they went through all the perils of a pioneer settlement. The deceased gentleman was born at Wellington while the party were delayed there by the search for a home. He was brought up at Pigeon Bay, and lived there all his life, inheriting the general esteem which his father had enjoyed in a settlement of which he was the patriarch.
Timaru Herald, 8 August 1910, Page 7 OBITUARY.
Mr. WILLIAM HAY. News of the death of Mr William Hay, which. was announced on Saturday morning, would come as a painful surprise to his numerous friends throughout the South Island over practically the whole of which, the deceased was well known, more especially among those who had to do with agricultural and pastoral pursuits. Mr. Hay had been ill for only a short time, the cause of death being a growth in the throat. He was born at Pigeon Bay, in 1845, so that the was a boy running about when the "first four ships" arrived at Lyttelton. His father was engaged in agricultural and pastoral pursuits and the son was brought up to the same calling, in which he took a deep interest and achieved conspicuous success. On leaving his home he went to Southland where he managed one of the estates of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company. Later on, when he left the employ of the company, he came to South Canterbury and bought a farm at Totara Valley. After farming this successfully for some years, he sold out and went in for a larger venture, buying the "Kinnoull" estate of some 3000 acres extending from the Pareora, near Mt. Horrible, across to Tycho Flat. This he farmed as a sheep run until a few years ago when, owing to defective eyesight he found it desirable 1o sell out and retire from farm life. He bought a property off Wai-iti road adjoining that of Mr C. T. H. Berry, and has resided there since. Possessed of an active mind, and retaining a keen interest in stock, he found it not an easy task to live retired, so he bought a small stud farm in Washdyke Valley, and stocked and looked after it, able to oversee at without living on it. The breeding of different types of sheep, and of shorthorn cattle was to him, of interest, and he took a special pride in the Ryeland sheep which he imported and introduced to Canterbury farmers. At sheep fairs and agricultural shows, Mr. Hay was always prominent, and his name connected with stock, was always a guarantee of something worth looking at. He was for many years a valued member of the Timaru A. and P. Association of which body he served for a term as president, and and played a prominent part in the forward taken by the association in recent years. But country interests did not absorb the whole of Mr Hay's attention. During the past five or six years he showed considerable enterprise in the town of Timaru where he spent some thousands of pounds, and the handsome three-storied structure at the junction of Stafford and Strathallan streets, known as Hay's buildings, will long stand as a monument to his business enterprise. In the field of sport, Mr Hay was as enthusiastic as in his business activities, deer stalking and golfing being the two forms of recreation which found most favour with him, and in sport as in business, he was liked for his unassuming manner. He did a lot of work for the Timaru Golf Club and was one of its most valued members. Since he settled in Timaru Mr Hay was a member of and a regular attendant at Trinity Presbyterian Church, and was always ready to do his share in helping on the work of the church. He leaves a wife, son, and four daughters, all grown up. The funeral takes place at 1 o'clock to-day.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 6 September 1886, Page 2
THE LAND-SLIP IN CANTERBURY.
(Christchurch Press) The late continuous rain has been the cause of a disaster at Pigeon Bay, the result of which in a small way reminds one forcibly of the late eruptions in the North Island. Fortunately, however, no loss of life occurred, though bad the accident happened at night or earlier in the morning, it is probable we should have bad to chronicle a sad disaster. As it was the escape of Mr. Thomas Hay and his family from death may be regarded as almost miraculous. There are few of the older settlers who do not know the homestead of Annandale well. Here it was that some forty-three years ago Mr. Ebenezer Hay settled down, and it has since become one of the most noted of the estates of Canterbury. The house itself, which has been added to and modernised, as it were, since its first building, stood back from the road a little, the mountain spur rising at the back. It was not far from the shores of the bay, and when seen, as it was, by the writer not many months ago, was the beau ideal of a peaceful and happy rural retreat. Now all is desolation, not a vestige either of the house itself or the outhouses surrounding it being left. The destruction is complete, and so sudden was the calamity which overtook the family that it was with the utmost difficulty that they made their escape, merely with the clothes they were wearing at the time. The letter sent by the messenger from Mrs. Hay to her relatives here contained a most graphic account of the disaster. Between eight and nine on Wednesday morning the men who were working on the farm heard a roar, and looking towards the hills which rise up at the back of Annandale, saw the mountain, as it were, rending in two over their heads, and a gigantic landslip coming down. The alarm was at once given, with praiseworthy promptitude and coolness, each one seized a child and rushed down the path from the house to the road. As they fled along in terror a second slip came down, crushing the house to atoms, and the debris fell all round the flying fugitives, so close to them that the fall of earth was, as it were, upon them. Fortunately, they were enabled to gain the road in safety, and ultimately took refuge in the store. In the meanwhile, the house, which had been flattened to the earth by the fall of the slip, took fire. This was caused by fires in different parts of the house, which were log fires, the one in the kitchen being raised up above a large colonial oven. So soon as the debris crushed on to the house the fire was thrown out in contact with the boards, and the remains of Annandale were destroyed altogether in this way. The family passing, scantily clad, through torrents of rain, ultimately managed to reach the hotel, wet through and almost exhausted from the terrible scene through which they had passed. We were working in the creek, said Mr. James Hay, whom I met up to the knees in soft mud superintending the work of picking out the relics from the soil, "when I heard a most tremendous roar". We bad been on the look-out for slips, and therefore were to some extent prepared. Those in the house ran for their lives, and as I went at top speed towards the house to aid I looked up. There above me, coming down the mountain side at railroad speed was a wall of earth some forty or fifty feet high throwing up as it came high in the air a kind of spray. I thought at first it was an eruption. We all got out of the house and down to the bottom by the fence as the mass of earth came on it struck a very strong fence which we had put up above the house, breaking the 6 x 4 posts abort off like matches. This I think prevented it carrying away the house. I then rushed up to the house to see if all were out, and supposing they were so turned to leave, when just then I saw the little head of one of the children. The was a little boy about two years old who had been into the store room taking the sugar. I grabbed him and turned to ran. As I did so I heard a second slip coming, and had hardly got away when it came with a rush and a roar, right on to the house crushing it as one would an egg shell. So close was it behind me that I felt the spray of the earth striking me in the back as I ran. The house then took fire, and burned for quite two hours. The two eldest of the youngsters ran themselves, and we managed to get the rest out and away on to the bridge over the creek only just in time to see our home disappear as if it had never existed. The gardener had a narrow escape. He was in a small shanty in the garden and heard the roar. He started out and had hardly gone a chain before the shanty was buried under ten feet of earth. We lost nine dogs and about fifty sheep. Some of the carcasses of the latter we have found in the soil. By the bye a most singular occurrence took place with regard to one of the dogs. The first slip buried him completely, but after the second one I was surprised to see him join us on the bridge.- To give you an idea of the way in which the various things in the house were scattered, continues Mr. Hay, " We found my brother's purse containing �18 down by low water mark. This had been placed in a drawer in one of the rooms. The heavy safe was also carried down, to low water mark, and stranger than all we found the kitchen store and the kettle on it near the safe. The insurances amount in the whole to �2620, distributed as follows :� �1500on the dwelling house, �400 on the woolshed, �65 on the dairy and cheese house, �135 on the slaughter-houses, �20 on the men's house, and �500 on the furniture. All these insurances are in the South British Company.
Otago Witness, 7 September 1893, Page 6
It remains for Banks Peninsula alone to boast that the summits of many of her lofty hills are as fertile as the deepest of her valleys. Messrs Hay Bros , of Annandale, Pigeon Bay, ploughed this year a table land on the summit of a ledge some 1000 ft or 1200 ft above the sea level. They put some 40 acres in turnips, and five in oats for hay. The five acres of oats produced a stock of over 30 tons of as good oaten hay as we ever saw, and we are almost afraid to speak of the turnips for fear of being charged with exaggeration.
Press, 30 November 1911, Page 7 MR JAMES HAY.
A Timaru Press Association message, received last night, stated that news had been received thereof the death in Sydney, after an operation, of Mr James Hay, M.A., LL.B., solicitor, of Timaru. He was expected back home next Saturday, from a trip to the Old Country. He had distinct literary gifts, and though the claims of his busy practice prevented his indulging in this line very much, his few writings are of distinct merit, and evince an eloquent and humorous style, which was also present in his after-dinner speeches and addresses at the Bar. He was, further, a typical farmer. His father owned an estate called "Barbara Field," a model New Zealand mixed farm, six miles outside Temuka, and ever since his father's death, some twenty years ago, Mr Hay resided there, in addition to being a successful lawyer becoming a most successful farmer. Mr Hay had many of the traits of the English squire. He belonged to an old New Zealand family, who were in Canterbury long before the "first four ships" came out. His birth was typical of the early pioneer days. There were no doctors in the Timaru district, so his father and mother came up from Timaru to Christchurch in the little schooner Corsair, encountering very rough weather en route. When the Corsair was off Akaroa Heads, Mr Hay was born. Mr Hay's mother was the first lady, to so beyond Burkes Pass. In 1897 Mr Hay married a daughter of the late Mr Henry J. Le Cren, of Timaru. There were no children of the marriage. Quite recently Mr Hay represented the New Zealand University at the quincentenary celebrations of St. Andrew's University, and was returning to New Zealand when ho took ill. An operation was performed in Sydney on Monday, in an effort to combat an internal complaint, but without avail, cable advice being received yesterday of Mr Hay's death.
Evening Post, 8 February 1940, Page 16 IN CHRISTCHURCH. Another wedding of wide interest also took place on Tuesday afternoon, when, at St. Mark's Church. Opawa, Christchurch, Rachel June, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. C. Wright, St. Martin's, formerly of Timaru, was married to Edward Rex, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Harper, "Grassy Hills," Kurow, Otago. Canon G. Nelham Watson performed the ceremony, the wedding music was played by Mrs. Barley, and Mr. Wright gave his daughter away. The church had been decorated with hydrangeas in tones of pink and blue. Much interest was taken in the marriage as the bride and bridegroom are descendants of pioneers, the bride being a great-granddaughter of the late Mr. Ebenezer Hay, of Pigeon Bay, and Mr. Harper, a great-grandson of the late Bishop Harper. The bride's gown was of white spotted net over white taffeta. She wore a coronet of lace flowers with her white tulle veil, and carried a sheaf of white gladioli. The Misses Joan Hay. Molly Maling, and Barbara Lawrence attended.
Press, 2 July 1934, Page 1
Press, 3 July 1934, Page 12
HAY - On June 30th, at Sherwood Downs, Fairlie, John Steele, dearly beloved brother of Agnes and Jean Hay, of Mid-Buiston, Ayrshire, Scotland, and brother of the late Robert Hay, Pigeon Bay, and kinsman of E. Hay, Pigeon Bay, New Zealand; aged 74 years. Born in Ayrshire in 1860 and came out to NZ about 1880. He lived with Mr and Mrs Ross of Glen Bervie, Sherwood Downs, Fairlie. He did not marry.
Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, 17 April 1924, Page 3
Mrs T. O. Hay, of Christchurch and formerly of Pigeon Bay, died in Bournemouth, England, on April 14th Mrs Hay, who is the mother of M Ebenezer Hay, the Akaroa Count chairman, is well known on Bank Peninsula, and very much esteemed in Pigeon Bay where she lived for many years. It is a curious coincidence that in 1908 when she went with her husband to the Old Country Mr Hay contracted a serious illness and died and she herself has passed away far from New Zealand. Mr Hay took the keenest interest in a local matters in Pigeon Bay. She was very much interested in the records of the early Peninsula days and edited privately a very interesting record of the experiences of the Hay family in early New Zealand. Mrs Hay was the only daughter of the late Rev. Dr. John Guthrie, Glasgow. She arrived in New Zealand by the Crusader in 1874, accompanied by her brother, Mr. John Guthrie. Another brother, Dr. T. Guthrie, followed a year or later. In 1875 she married the late Mr T. O. Hay, Annandale, her home, in Pigeon Bay for over 30 years. She leaves a son, Mr Ebenezer Hay, and two daughters—Mrs A. McKellar and Miss Agnes Hay.
Thomas Orr Hay married Hannah Longmuir Guthrie in 1875. Children:
1876 Hay Ebinezer
1877 Hay Ann Orr
1882 Hay Agnes Orr
1884 Hay Thomas Guthrie
Mt. John was named after John Hay
A Pre-Adamite Settler
Is someone who settled in Canterbury before the First Four Ships, that is, before 16th December 1850. The Pre-adamite file is held at the Canterbury Public Library, the Canterbury Museum, the Hocken Library, Dunedin and the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, contains some biographical information and then detail of where more information can be obtained.
The subtitle is: Persons of European descent living in Canterbury before the arrival of the first four ships in Lyttelton on 16 December 1850. Further, the preface (dated 18 April 1989) states: "In 1978 the names of over 900 persons who were living in Canterbury before the arrival of the first of the First Four Ships in Lyttelton on 16 December 1850, were extracted from a wide range of sources. This collection is known as the Pre Adamite Index and it contains the names of persons of non Maori parentage. Maori wives and halfcaste children are included, but ships' officers and personnel and casual visitors are excluded unless they carried out notable exploration or scientific work in the area."
The actual format of the hand-written index was originally as a series of cards (now photocopied and bound into 2 volumes). Typically an entry has at the top a person's name, followed by parental and birth/date information. Below that on the left is a key to sources and on the right. The actual information to be found in each source. The wide range of sources referred to in the preface numbers about 50 items, including the Cyclopedia of NZ, various original document collections held in the Museum and books of local histories of the Canterbury area. It was prepared by the Canterbury Group of the NZ Society of Genealogists Inc. from research undertaken by the Pre-Adamite Sub Committee of the Christchurch City Council Cultural Committee. It is an alphabetical index by surname and is housed with the other "family history" resources in the Documentary Research Centre on level 3 at the Canterbury Museum, Christchurch.
Wellington Independent, 16 July 1851, Page 4
CANTERBURY. (From our Correspondent.) Port Victoria, July 4, 1851.
The Eudora and Raven have arrived with a good stock of Shagaroons, who will soon infuse a spirit of stirring activity into the drooping Pilgrims. It's true the Shagaroons don't know what to think at the great change between the arid plains of Australia and the moist green sward of New Zealand, or will they be able to draw any comparison if they should stay until midsummer and behold the verdant plains, and taste the cool refreshing streams that flows in abundance o'er the Canterbury Plains.
The Star Monday December 17th 1894 page 2 column 6
Although the "Pilgrims," as the "first shippers" are generally called, can fairly claim to be the pioneers of the settlement, they found already here a number of people who had come from other parts of the colony and Australia. These earlier arrivals were known as "Shagroons." Among these earlier arrivals [29 listed below] were
Messrs Deans Bros., who had located themselves at Riccarton
Messrs Rhodes Bros., who afterwards owned the land upon which the town of Timaru now stands
Mr R. Caverhill
Mr G. Hunter-Brown
Dr. Donald (for many years medical officer and magistrate in Lyttelton
Mr H.J. Tancard (at one time speaker of the Provincial Council, and afterwards a member of the Legislative Council of New Zealand)
Mr Le Cren
Hay Bros., (of Pigeon Bay, after whom Hoon Hay was named.)
Mr E. Jollie
Mr J. Boys
Mr C.O. Torlesse
Mr S. Hewlings
Mr Gouland (collector of customs and magistrate)
Mr J. Ballard (customs officer)
Eli Salt (who built the first vessel in Lyttelton)
Messrs P. and J. Cameron (of Lyttelton)
and George Gould.
Of theses only Messrs Hewlings, Salt Cryer and Cameron Bros., now survivor. Mr J.R. Godley was resident agent for the Association, and Captain Thomas, having as his assistants Messrs B. Cass and Torlesse, was chief surveyor. The official returns for 1850 show that at the close of the year there was no land held by Europeans under cultivation, while there were 34 horses, 739 head of cattle, 10,900 sheep and 50 goats in the province.
Followed by a list of settlers who came to Canterbury by the "first four ships." ....
Timaru Herald, 29 December 1881, Page 5
ANNIVERSARY OF THE PROVINCE OF CANTERBURY.
December 18, being the thirty-first anniversary of the landing of the first of the Canterbury Pilgrims at Lyttelton, was according to time honored custom observed as a strict holiday throughout all parts of the .Provincial District, extending from the river Waitangi [sic] on the south to the Hurunui on the north. Even during the past year great changes have taken place in all parts of Canterbury, and marked progress has been made both m the towns and m the country. The population of the Provincial District is now about 106,000 which is the largest of any in the colony, with the exception of Otago � which was settled a considerable time before, and which has had rich goldfields to draw population within its boundaries. The people of Canterbury can say with truth that their prosperity from the very first has rested on a solid basis, namely in pastoral, agricultural and manufacturing pursuits, and that they have not entered into those pursuits in vain, is shown by the rapid strides both in population and wealth the district has made. Of the little band of original pilgrim fathers and mothers but few are now left, and here another decade has pasted over our heads it will in all probability be easy to count them on one's fingers. Their names, however, will not die, but will for ever be remembered with feelings of respect, of affection, and of admiration, not only by their immediate descendants, but by all who, through their pioneering work, have been enabled to acquire comfortable homes and an easy independence on our shores. People nowadays will hardly credit the fact that up to twenty years ago, aye, and even later than that, many of the pilgrim fathers, who are now sneered at as " bloated squatters" could be met day after day on the rough inland roads, or on their stations, "punching " their own bullocks, shearing their own sheep, and so forth. Or that their usual dress was a blue shirt and moleskin or corduroy breeches, their food tea without milk, damper and mutton. But such is the fact, and we are convinced not one of them would be ashamed to acknowledge the fact. Yet, how many are there now who would do the work they did, or who would consent to live as they did? If asked to do so, the reply in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred would be, "Am I a dog, etc. ?" We do not mention these facts without a purpose. Our object is to impress upon those who are so ready to sneer at what they call the present hard times, that they should remember others who came before them had to endure far greater hardships before they could gain a competence.
The weather on Friday in South Canterbury was fine but very hot and windy, a strong nor'-westerly gale prevailing nearly all day.
Evening Post, 18 December 1939, Page 11
The celebration took the form of a "Day of Memories." Covering the history of Banks Peninsula and Canterbury, Mr. Clibborn recalled how Captain Cook in February, 1770, sailed past Banks Peninsula in the bark Endeavour and took it for an island. He named it Banks Island, after the botanist Sir Joseph Banks, who was on board. The true nature of the "island" was discovered by Captain S. Chase, who visited it in H.M.S. Pegasus in 1809, and explored Lyttelton and Akaroa. Later Captain Wiseman traded to Canterbury on behalf of the firm of Cooper and Levy, Sydney, and named the east and west arms of Lyttelton Harbour Port Levy and Port Cooper respectively after his employers. The first Canterbury settlers, said Mr. Clibborn, were Joseph Price (1829), the whaler George Hempleman (1837), Captain William Barnard Rhodes (1835), the Dean brothers, of Riccarton, and Messrs. Ebenezer Hay and Captain Sinclair, of Pigeon Bay. The main body of the pioneers, organised by the Canterbury Association, arrived by six vessels between December, 1850, and February, 1851. The ships were the Sir George Seymour, 850 tons, Charlotte Jane, 730 tons. Randolph, 761 tons. Cressy, Castle Eden. 930 tons, and Isabella Hercus, 618 tons. The numbers of passengers aboard the ships were respectively 213, 151. 211, 216. 207, and 151. The first 'our-named got away from England first with a total of 791 passengers and were now referred to as the first four ships. The Charlotte Jane was the first to arrive, at 10 a.m. on December 16, 1850. John Robert Godley. agent of the Canterbury Association and the founder of Canterbury, arrived on April 12 by the Lady Nugent, and, with the Governor, Sir George Grey, and Lady Grey; welcomed the pilgrims. Altogether the Canterbury Association chartered 27 vessels to transport the pioneers.
- Lake Tekapo
Evening Post, 10 January 1898, Page 6
Christchurch. This Day. Death has been busy among the old settlers during the last two days, and twelve funeral notices appear in the morning papers. The list comprises Captain Clifford, 71 years, who arrived in Wellington in 1847, in the ship Rebecca, and subsequently arrived at Lyttelton before the first four ships of Canterbury settlers; Mrs. R. Irvine, an old settler in South Canterbury, aged 57 ; Mr. E. P. Chapman, of Methven, aged 70 ; and Mr. John Stinson, one of the early settlers at Lyttelton, aged 59.
Evening Post, 22 October 1891, Page 2
Timaru, 21st October.
A pioneer, Mr. John Hay, died at his residence, Kakahu, on Tuesday, aged 70 yean. He arrived at Port Nicholson in December, 1841, and has nearly completed half a century as a colonist. He joined his uncle, Mr. Ebenezer Hay, who arrived in 1839 at Petone, going thence to Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula, in 1844, years before the first four ships arrived. He subsequently selected, and held the Lake Tekapo Station, and 25 years ago left the station for his farm at Kakahu.
Otago Witness, 30 November 1878, Page 5
November 25th. Mrs Hayes, of Pigeon Bay, was thrown from her trap and broke her thigh bone. She is not expected to live.