Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 896-897 Published 1903
KAKAHU lies about eighteen miles or twenty miles to the north-west of Timaru, in the county of Geraldine, and is within eight miles of Pleasant Point. There are two post offices in the district; one at Kakahu bush, and the other at Kakahu school, three miles apart. Timaru is the head office for both; the nearest telegraph is at Geraldine, distant ten or twelve miles. Agriculture and sheep farming are the leading industries. The district had a population of sixty-six at the census of March, 1901. photo Kakahu River by Butterfield. photo of Kakahu Gorge and photo of head of Kakahu River both by Miss Nina Meredith, Weeks Ltd
EARL, John, Farmer, Kakahu, near Geraldine. Mr Earl was born in County Wexford, Ireland, in 1833, and was brought up to farming in the Old Country. He came to Victoria in 1855 by the ship "Caroline," and was on Castlemaine and Bendigo and all the principal diggings of Victoria. After that he visited New Zealand and was prospecting for a time on the Hauraki Peninsula. He then returned to Australia, but in 1866 he came over again to New Zealand and was for three years on the West Coast of the South Island. Subsequently Mr. Earl removed to South Canterbury, and took up land at Kakahu, where he has been farming ever since. He resides on a farm of 350 acres and has several other farms in the district, and raises sheep, cattle and grain. Mr Earl was married in Melbourne, Victoria, to Miss Bahane, and has a family of eleven. Mrs Earl was the first married women on the Canterbury Plains.
HUTCHINSON, A.V.M., Sheepfarmer, Kakahu, Geraldine. Mr Hutchinson was born in India in 1869, and educated at the Military College, Oxford, England. He came to New Zealand in 1896 in the s.s. "Kaikoura," and served as a cadet on Mount Peel and Orari stations. In 1899 Mr Hutchinson bought his present property of 2100 acres from Mr W.P. Studholme. The land consists of rolling downs and soil is of rich limestone formation. It has been cultivated with excellent results, and grows grain, grass, rape and other root crops to perfection. The flock consists of English Leicester crosses, and a large number is annually fattened for the export trade. Mr Hutchinson has made many improvement and the commodious dwelling house is charmingly situated, and is surrounded by a plantation of quick growing pines. Mr Hutchinson was married in 1896, to Miss Buchanan, of Little River, a daughter of one Canterbury's earliest and most prominent settlers.
KAKAHU ESTATE. This property was first taken up as a run in 1856 by Mr Campion, and sold to Mr Cox in 1861. Mr Cox, in his turn, sold it to the late Major Hornbrook, from whom Messrs Studholme and Wigley purchased the station. Mr John Studholme, father of the present proprietor, subsequently bought out his partner. The property now consists of 10,000 acres of freehold and a leasehold of 2000 acres of a corporation reserve. A large area of the land is under artificial grass, and a considerable portion is cropped year by year. The flock consists chiefly of English Leicester and Merino crosses. "Kakahu" abounds in limestone, which yields ninety-eight per cent, of pure white lime, and there is also an abundance of coal clay and good building stone, but an extension of the railway is necessary to the development of these resources. The improvements on the property include a new dwellinghouse, outbuildings, plantations, gardens, lawns, and eight miles of wire fences.
STUDHOLME, William Paul, J.P., of Kakahu, Hilton, is the second son of the late Mr John Studholme, of Merivale. He was educated at Christ College, Christchurch, and at Magdalen College, Oxford. Mr Studholme is a barrister of the Inner Temple, and graduated in law honours at Oxford. He married Mabel, only daughter of Mr. Henry Francis Gray, of Waihora, Woodend.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project