Timaru Herald, 3 February 1879, Page 3
PRELIMINARY NOTICE. GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP, Near Timaru. JONAS, HART & WILDIE have been instructed by Mr. George Green to Sell by Public Auction, at their Sale-rooms, Timaru, on an early date THE TOWNSHIP OF GREENFIELD, comprised in 20 Half-Acre Sections, and situated near Timaru. Full particulars, with date of sale, will be given in future advertisement. JONAS, HART & WILDIE. Auctioneer.
Timaru Herald, 15 July 1882, Page 2
Yesterday a large and most successful sale of town and rural properties was held in the rooms of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company. This was the first sale held in the Company's new premises and they may be congratulated on having so important a transaction to open their auction business with. The properties were brought under the hammer by Mr Charles Green, the administrator of the estate of his late brother, Mr Richard Green, the management of the transaction being placed by him in the hands of Mr Ziesler, who must come in for a share of the congratulations bestowed upon the vendors. There was a large attendance at the sale, and though it will be seen from the list below that the buyers were not numerous, the greatest interest was manifested m the disposal of each lot. Mr E. S. Harley, the Company's auctioneer, wielded the hammer. Before commencing operations he invited those present to drink in champagne good luck to the new saleroom. He made a short speech referring to the opening of the new premises for auction sales. He felt some diffidence in opening this sale, not because he had any fears as to the result, but because he had been requested to explain why the Company had resolved to add to their former business in Timaru, the new branch of conducting auction sales. The fact was that the support which had been accorded them in the district made it a necessity, for the convenience of the Company itself and of their clients, just as the erection of new and larger premises had been found necessary for the same reason. He hoped and expected therefore to frequently have the pleasure of meeting them for similar purposes in the same place. He could assure them that whatever class of property might at any time be submitted m this room, they might depend implicitly that the statements made regarding it would be bond fide. It would not serve the interests of such a Company to undertake any commissions having the slightest trace of shadiness about them. The best of everything could not be expected to be found in every case in any auction room, but whatever was put up here would be put up on its merits whatever they might be. Mr Harley then proposed the health of the vendors, and this having been duly honored the business of the day was proceeded with.
The first lot offered was the leasehold of sections 137 and 138, quarter-acre each, with two cottages, situated in North street, next the Police Station, the ground rent being £10 a year, and the lease having seven years to run. The cottages are at present let at a rental of £44 4s per annum. Mr T. Collins, stationer, purchased this lot at £55.
Lot 2, section 392, a quarter-acre fronting on Elizabeth street, the second section east from Grey street, without any buildings, fell to Mr A. J. H. Bower at £230.
Lot 3, a quarter-acre section, No. 185, in Brown street, near the Market Place, with substantial seven-roomed brick house, was bought by Mr John W. White at £535.
Lot 4, the vacant section of 26 perches at the corner of Sophia and Church streets, opposite the English Church and Witts' corner, was scoured by Messrs Peacock and Geaney at £615. This is a good business stand, and the purchasers intend to erect shops upon it at once.
Lot 5 was Greenfield, a plot of about 4 acres at the south-east angle of Elizabeth and LeCren streets. This was divided into 21 allotments, two of 35 perches, four of 36, and the rest of 20 perches each. Some of the lots were put up singly, and others in series, the purchaser having the option of taking one or more. The price of each lot is given m the list below. The highest price was paid for one of the larger lots at the corner of the two streets, Mr W. Moody giving £175 for this. All the six lots fronting on Elizabeth street, fetched over £100, and the whole of the little paddock produced £1591.
The next lot was the Ship Hotel block, comprising the land on the east side of the Main North Road, between Strathallan street and Beswick street, and running back some distance, 3-8th acre in all, an which stands this well-known Ship Hotel, with Messrs Ford and Co.'s offices on the one side, and a number of shops round to and including Salek's on the other, the several premises being let for an aggregate rental of £1122 per annum. Mr D. McGuinness handed in a protest against the sale of this lot, as he had memorandum of agreement to extend his present lease of the Ship Hotel. This protest was held to be of no moment, and the sale proceeded. The first bid came from Dr. Fisher, £10,000 and by degrees £13,500 was reached, at which price it was knocked down to Mr W. Moody, as agent for Mr Charles Green and others. There was a good deal of cheering when the names of the real purchasers were announced.
The next lot was R.S. 25579, 80 acres, on the plain between the Orari and Rangitata, fenced and laid down to grass. This was bought by Mr T. Hall at 30s per acre, and appears to be the cheapest lot sold.
R.S. 12340, a 20-acre section, fenced and improved, with frontage to the south bank of the Otaio, and the second section west from the main road, brought £6 10s per acre, the purchaser being Mr W. Grant.
The next lot was 20 acres part of R.S. 3978, on the north side of the Wai-iti road, adjoining the Apsley property, on the Timaru side, fenced and under crop, which was bought at £41 per acre by Mr D. McGuiness. The last lot was quarter acre section adjoining the site of the Star Hotel, Temuka, and this was bought by Mr G. C. Miles at £36.
This concluded the sale, and Mr Harley thanked his audience for their attendance, and expressed his pleasure at the result of the sale. Mr C. Green was then called for, and he mounted the rostrum and returned thanks for the spirited bidding which had characterised the sale, concluding by asking everyone to drink the health of his mother, who had a large interest in the estate. Mr Green was loudly cheered. His brother, who has come over from Canada, to see the affairs of the estate settled, also returned thanks, and expressed much satisfaction at the remit of the day's transactions. The following is a list of the lots as sold, the prices and names of the purchasers
Lot. I— Sections 137-8, North street (leasehold) ½acre T. Collins 55 0
2— Section 392, Elizabeth street, ¼ acre, A. J. H. Bower 230 0
3— Section 185, Brown street, acre, J. W. White 535 0
4— Section 331, Church street, 26p, Peacock and Geaney 615 0
No. 1— 35p, T. Hall 115 0
No. 2— 35p, A.St.G. Hamersley 120 0
No. 3— 36p, R. G. Watson 120 0
No. 4— 36p, W. Collins 110 0
No. 5— 3.55, A. Perry 115 0
No. 6— 36p, W. Moody 175 0
No. 7— 20p, A. St. G. Hamersley 65 0
No.8— 20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 9— 20p, R. Stewart 50 0
No. 10— 20p, W. Moody 47 10
No. 11— 20p, C. S. Fraser 47 10
No. 12—20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 13— 20p, T. Hall 45 0
No. 14— 20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 15—20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 16— 20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 17— 20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 18— 20p, W. Moody 45 0
No. 19— 20p, A. Perry 50 0
No. 20— 20p, A. St. G. Hamersley 50 0
No. 21— 20p, R. Proctor 50 0
No. 22— 20p, R. Proctor 50 0
No. 23— 20p, J. Sibly 55 0
No. 24— 2op, W. Smith 60 0
6— The Ship Hotel Block, C. Green and others 13,500 0
7— E.S. 25579, Rangitata, 80 acres, T. Hall 120 0
8— E.S. 12340, Otaio, 20 acres, W. Grant 130 0
9— Part of R.S. 3978, Wai iti road, 20 acres, D. McGuinness 820 0
10— Section 53, Temuka, ¼acre, G. C. Miles 36 0
Total £17,681 0
Timaru Herald, 12 October 1882, Page 3
GERALDINE ROAD BOARD. The usual monthly meeting of the Board was held on Tuesday, the 10th day of October, 1882, in the Board Board office, Geraldine. Members present. Mr W. Postlethwaite (Chairman), and Messrs Wm Upton Slack, Frederick R. Flatman, and W. B. De Renzy.
From Mr E. Speechly, dated 9th October, informing the Board that he had sold R.S. 10861 to Edward Howden.
Star, 4 June 1884, Page 2
BILLS OF SALE AND OTHER INSTRUMENTS FILED UNDER THE CHATTELS SECURITIES ACT.
1659.� Walker, William, of Waitohi Flat, farmer, bill of sale and mortgage of stock over agricultural implements, buggy and harness, Clayton and Shuttleworth engine combine and elevators, 2 drays, 1 waggon, 2 reapers and binders, 1 tilter, 1400 sheep, 14 horses, and 3 head of cattle, to Frederick Le Cren and Arthur Ormsby, of Timaru, and Isaac Lewis Morris, of Pleasant Point, Esquires, for �1753 14s 6d. Dated May 23, 1884, filed June 2, 1884.
4660.� Walker, William, of Waitohi Flat, farmer, agricultural lien over 340 acres of wheat on land at Waitohi Flat, in the occupation of the lienor, to Frederick Le Cren and Arthur Ormsby, of Timaru, and Isaac Lewis Morris, of Pleasant Point, Esquires, for �650. Dated May 23, 1884 ; filed June 2, 1884.
Star 9 September 1887, Page 3
The following leased sections were granted under the deferred payment system in the Arowhenua Settlements each a quarter of an acre section
Section 698, to William Hooper
section 639, to Floretta Spooner
section 700, to Deley Ann Hooper
section 708, to James Hooper
section 752, to John King
section 799, to James Farr
section 795, to Edward Carr
section 797 to Owen Carr
One section under the same conditions in Reserve 144, area la 19p was granted to Catherine Elizabeth Henderson.
Timaru Herald, 4 September 1893, Page 2
There was a large attendence at Messrs Guinness and LeCren's land salerooms on Saturday afternoon, when two well-known farm properties were brought under the hammer. The first lot offered was Mr Thomas Hamlyn's Kiagsborough farm, 1141 acres, as a whole. After Mr Guinness had read the conditions of sale, he said that the property was handy to Timaru by good roads, was well subdivided, fenced and watered, and was considered one of the best properties in the district. It had been carefully cropped, not abused in any way nicely planted, and a school was situated on it. He would take biddings at per acre. There was no response, and the farm was then put up in lots. For Nos. 1 and 2 there were no offers. Lot 3, 58 acres, was started at £7 and by 10s bids run up to £10, when it was passed in. The Coonoor estate was next put up, but did not elicit a single bid, either as a whole or in two lots - Mr Guinness said that he was prepared to treat privately for the properties, and expressed his regret at the want of speculation.
Timaru Herald, 9 May 1895, Page 3
The usual monthly meeting of the Temuka Road Board was held on Tuesday last. Present— Mr J. Talbot (chairman), Messrs Fraser, Peter Coira, and William Snell. From the Colonial Investment and Agency Company, giving notice that having sold R.S. 10329 and 10338, Waitohi Flat, to Mr Lewis Price, the latter will be liable to all rates and from Mr Timothy Lyons, giving notice of having sold property to Mr Ambrose Brown, for change of name on the roll.
Timaru Herald, 7 October 1895, Page 2
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, instructed by the liquidators of the South Canterbury Building and Investment Company, offered properties, land and dwelling houses, for sale at their rooms at 1.30 p.m., on Saturday. Mr Guinness was the auctioneer, and there was a good crowd of people, present. The conditions of sale having been read, Mr Guinness asked for bids. The sale on the whole was not a good one.
Lot 1, 20 acres, Glen-iti, was bought by Mr Lithgow for £345
Lot 6 (sold privately) Gibson and Kennedy. £240
Lot 7, 3 roods, Pleasant Point, W. Lund, £20
Lot 9, 186 acre farm, Hilton, S. Garforth, £790 16s
Lot 10, 23 perches, with grain store, St. Andrews. J. Harper and Co., £60
Lot 16, quarter acre, with two-roomed house, High street, Timaru, E. O'Neil, £30
Lot 18, 12 perches with four-roomed house, William street, Timaru, C. N.Macintosh, £110
Lot 24, 20 perches, with three-roomed cottage, Attenborough, J. Keen, £90
Lot 14, quarter acre with six-roomed house, Dee street, was bought privately by Mr W. Coe, for £220
The other lots were passed, and will be treated for privately.
Timaru Herald, 2 April 1897, Page 4
The Fairlie Public Hall was well filled on Monday evening, the occasion being a smoke concert and presentation to Mr James Milne, who recently disposed of his interest in the Strathallan Estate to his partner, Mr F. LeCren. The chair was occupied by Mr George Hamilton, of Clayton, and Mr Malcolm, McLeod, of Burkes Pass, did duty as vice chairman. Apologies for non attendance were read from Messrs E. Richardson, Temuka, F. LeCren and D. McLean, Timaru, and Rutherford and Tondro, Fairlie. As a prominent settler Mr Milne stood head and shoulders above the others. He had nursed all their social and educational undertakings through their difficulties and it would be almost impossible to fill his place. He (Mr McLeod), had known Mr Milne for about 13 years and during that time on many occasions Mr Milne had neglected his own affairs to attend to public duties m the district. He would conclude by wishing Mr Milne every success and trusted he would see his way to settle on the Albury Estate or in some other part of the Mackenzie County. Mr Milne, in replying, said that he had assisted at a good many affairs of this description m Fairlie during the last eighteen years, but he had never been present at one of this dimensions nor m the same capacity. He did not really know if he could find sufficient words to express them how sincerely he wished to thank them for their splendid present. His only regret was that he was not more deserving of all the kindly remarks made by their worthy chairman. It was sometimes said that Scotchmen as a rule are clannish if this be 80 the gathering that night must be the exception and not the rule, for his friends m that portion of South Canterbury did not consist of one nationality, but of many. He saw around him gentlemen who came originally from all parts of the United Kingdom, from the Continent of Europe and the Australian colonies, and he wondered what he had ever done to deserve such a splendid ovation as this.
Timaru Herald, 17 June 1898, Page 2
Guinness and LeCren report the sale of one of the properties offered by them last Saturday, on account of the Assets Realisation Board, viz., 170 acres of land known as Glengummel, to Mr W. C. Houstoun.
Timaru Herald, 26 September 1898, Page 2
There was a large attendance at Messrs Guinness and LeCren's land sale-rooms on Saturday, when by order of the trustees o f the late MrT. H. Wigley, the Opuha estate, 4009 acres with sheep, cattle etc., thereon, was submitted to public auction. Mr Guinness having read the conditions of sale, and particulars of the property, said that a great proportion of it was lime-stone property, and the grass on it was all that could be wished. The estate was in fine order and all round it was a very desirable property. He would offer the estate as a whole and would take a lump sum for it. The opening bid was £20,000, and the price rapidly rose by £250 advances to £21,500, when £100 advances were taken, and at £21,700 the property fell to Mr J. Lysaght, Hawera, North Island, father of Mrs T. H. Wigley. Mr Guinness expressed his pleasure at the sale and thanked the many present for their attendance.
Timaru Herald, 7 November 1900, Page 2
At last week's meeting of the Land Board, Leonard Maurice's application for a lease in perpetuity of 50 acres, Section 5, Block 13, Waitaki district, was granted. A mortgage of a lease in perpetuity, Lot 5, Rosebrook Settlement, from L. L. Kerr to Daniel Mahoney, was approved. It was resolved to recommend the Land Purchase Board to favourably consider the proposed exchange of Crown and other freehold lands Mount Peel station on a valuation basis, on condition that not less than 1877 acres of freehold should be given up in exchange for the 1633 acres of Crown land. An application by Mrs M. A. Keefe, for a tenancy of part of the Temuka river-bed, was granted for 20 years, at a rental of £2 10s per annum.
Otago Witness, 12 June 1901, Page 17
PROPERTY SALES IN SOUTH CANTERBURY.
Within the past few weeks a large number of properties in South Canterbury have changed hands. Two reasons are assigned for the activity in the property market. The first is the decision of the Harbour Board to extend the harbour works so as to provide accommodation for vessels to take away direct the produce of the district, and thus avoiding the cost of railing to other ports. The other reason advanced is the demand for closer settlement. Messrs Guinness and LeCren, land brokers, Timaru and Waimate, report the sale of the following properties in the South Canterbury district since April 1, 1901:
On account of Mr William Newlands to Messrs A. and J. Kitchener: Farm at Hook, containing 330 acres.
On account of Mr W. C. F. Carncross, M.H.R., to Mr S. Binney: Section in Shearman street, Waimate, containing 1 rood 12 perches.
On account of Mr J. O'Donoghue to Mr S. Collettt Section in Harris street, Waimate, containing half an acre.
On account of Mr J. J. Sinclair to Mr J. O'Leary : The homestead block of the Bankfield estate, containing 640 acres.
On account of Messrs E. C. Studholme and Co. to Messrs Washbourne and Gardiner, of North Canterbury: The properties known as the "Middle Block" and "Stoney Creek Block" of the Waimate estate, containing respectively 2780 acres and 630 acres, together with the flock of 2500 halfbred breeding ewes grazing thereon.
On account of Mr William Evans to Messrs Studholme Bros.: His property at Upper Waihao, containing 463 acres.
On account of the trustees in the estate of the late L. A. Wood to Mr G. Simmers : The suburban residence situate off Wai-iti road, Timaru, of half an acre land and nine-roomed house.
On account of the Waimate Library Committee to Messrs William Miller (Waimate), John Moore (Oamaru), and Jas. Symon (Waimate): Three sections, each having a frontage of 22ft to Queen street; one section having a frontage of 38ft to Victoria terrace; and one section having frontages of 24ft to Queen street and 80ft to Victoria terrace.
On account of Mr W. J. Dailey to Messrs Cameron Bros. (Waimate) : Suburban property in Waimate, having frontage to Timaru road, and containing 65 acres.
On account of Messrs Murray, Roberts, and Co. to Mr J. Kelland (Kakahu) : Dinder Farm, about seven miles from Temuka, containing 832 acres.
On account of the Bankfield Estate Syndicate to Mr O'Donoghue : Lot 6 of the Bankfield estate, containing 129 acres.
On account of Messrs Kennaway and Lee to Messrs M. Moore (Waitohi) and William Cunningham (Pleasant Point) : 674 acres near Pleasant Point (sold in three blocks).
On account of the trustees of the late Robert Stevenson to Mr George Court: Waimate suburban property, containing 25 acres, about two miles from Waimate. The above sales represent a total of �39,118.
Ashburton Guardian, 21 March 1902, Page 2
Property Sale—Messrs Maling and Shallcrass, Geraldine, report the sale of Mr M. Harper's property, Beautiful Valley, consisting of 1015 acres of good grazing and agricultural land, together with 1300 sheep and all live and dead stock as a going concern to Mr W B North.
Ashburton Guardian, 1 December
1902, Page 2
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru and Waimate, report having sold by public auction at Waimate on Saturday Mr .John Hopkins' farm at Willowbridge, containing 224 acres 2 roods 25 perches, to Messrs Fletcher Bros., at £30 per acre. The Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, Timaru, (per Mr J. Mundell, auctioneer,) report having sold 200 acres of rich swamp land close to Geraldine on account of Mr John Macdonald, Geraldine, to Mr A. C. Carter, of Hilton; also 275 acres situated close to Pakahea Homestead, on account of Mr Philip Wareing, to Mr A. Bisset. The above properties changed hands at satisfactory prices.
Ashburton Guardian, 30 May 1903, Page 2
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Waimate, report the following land sales for the week: Account Waihaorunga Estate, Sections 9/21,22, 24, 25 and 26, containing 3000 acres, to Mr McDowell, of Fernside, and also Mr Mostyn Jones' property, Akatere, 1042 acres, to Mr D. P. McLean. This firm has now sold during the past four weeks no less than 21 properties, the area of which amounts to 6810 acres at a cost of over £54,000, which proves how popular the Waimate district is becoming throughout the Colony, as the buyers come from all parts.
Otago Witness, 12 August 1903, Page 45
ALBURY (South Canterbury).
August 10. � Last week a presentation was made to Mr Richard Mahoney, who lately sold his farm, Ascot Vale, to Mr S. Andrew, of Fairlie. The presentation took the form of a purse of sovereigns. In the absence of Mr J. S. Rutherford, of Opawa station, the chair was taken by Mr F. I. P. West, who in a neat speech referred to the many excellent qualities displayed by Mr Mahoney as a neighbour and a citizen. A large gathering of representative farmers and others testified in like manner, and it must have been flattering indeed to the recipient to find that he was held in such high and general esteem. The evening's entertainment consisted of speech, song, and story, and the warmth and cordiality of the social spirit displayed in the midst of such depressing circumstances broke up at midnight with the singing of "Auld lang syne."
Otago Witness, 30 September 1903, Page 22
The National Mortgage and Agency Company of New Zealand (Limited) report having sold on account of Mr John Ross, of Fairlie, his farm, consisting of 205 acres of good agricultural land, about two miles from Fairlie, to Mr W. J Giddings, late of Middlemarch, at a satisfactory price. The same company also report having sold on account of Mr W. J. Giddings, Middlemarch, his leasehold farm of about 200 acres, situated in Strath-Taieri, to Mr James T. Tisdall, jun.
Ashburton Guardian, 5 April 1904, Page 2
Mr R. Y. Ferguson, land and estate agent, reports the sale of the following properties
On account of Mr P. Hansen, Lowcliffe, 458 acres, to Mr J. Aicken
on account of Mr I. Shaw, Geraldine, 9 acres, to Mr W. Russell
on account of Mr I. Hunt, Hilton, 220 acres, to Mr G. Rumsey
Ashburton Guardian, 29 April 1904, Page 2
Mr R. Y. Ferguson, Land and Estate Agent, reports having sold by private treaty, on account of H. N. Nalder, Esq., parts of Woodside Estate, Geraldine, as follows:— Lot 3, 58 acres 1 rood, Lot 5, 91 acres, Lot 11, 227 acres 3 roods, to Mr R Forsyth, Ashburton; Lot 10, 137 acres 2 roods, to Mr John Love, Gapes' Valley; all at satisfactory prices.
Ashburton Guardian, 31 August 1904, Page 2
Messrs Friedlander Bros., Ltd, report having sold on account of Mr P. Ryan, lot 2 of the Otipua estate, containing 165 acres, at £18 19s, and lot 4, containing 136 acres, at £16 103, to Mr .T. Smith, Beaconsfield on account of Mr H. Anderson, his farm at Wheatstone, containing 262 acres, to Mr Wm. Begg, on account of Mr Wm. Begg, his farm at Ashton, to Mr Walter Timms; on account of Miss Gosling, Timaru, her property in Temuka, to Mr C. Storey, and her property in Timaru to an undisclosed buyer.
Otago Witness, 1 February 1905, Page 26
WAIHAO DOWNS CLEARING SALE.
Messrs Guinness and LeCren (Limited) report holding the above clearing sale, in conjunction with the National Mortgage and Agency Company and Dalgety and Co., on Thursday last at Waihao Downs, on account of Mr J. F. Douglas, who has recently sold his property to Mr E. Richards, whose present property adjoins the Waihao Downs Estate. Over 900 lots were put through, and the sale was not concluded until late in the evening. Mr J. F. Douglas and his manager (Mr Fairlie) had made excellent arrangements in anticipation of the sale, and the very large attendance of buyers.
Ashburton Guardian, 17 February 1905, Page 2
Mr R. Y. Ferguson, Land and Estate Agent, reports sales for the past week of the following properties :—
On account of Mr H. Hibbard, 50 acres at Arundel, to Mr J. Ashby, Lowcliffe;
on account of Mr C. Boucher, Fairlie, his 200 acre farm known as Lorriemoor," to Mr E. Smithies, of Eiffelton;
on account of Mr F. S. Shearer, Upper Waitohi, Temuka, his 172-acre farm to Mr E. B. H. Maxwell, of Willowby
Otago Witness, 22 March 1905, Page 35
Land Sales —Mr J. O'Connel has sold his farm to Mr O'Neil and Mr Killehir. Mr W. Howell has bought 2000 acres from Mr Elworthy, on the Motakike block.
Ashburton Guardian 27 May 1905, Page 2
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Geraldine, report the sale of Mr Jas. Jones's farm of 512 acres and Ruapuna, and of Mr H. C. Barton's leasehold of 400 acres adjoining at satisfactory prices. Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd, report having sold on account of Mr P. L. Perry, 2080 acres of agricultural and grazing land, situated near Waihao Forks, being the property known as Glenlogan to Mr E. C. Studholme, at a satisfactory price.
Otago Witness, 19 July 1905, Page
Messrs Wright, Stephenson, and Co. report having made the following sales of land on the Waimea Estate during the last week: �
Section 11, block I, Black Swamp Block, containing 349 acres 2 roods 36 poles, to Mr Wm McIlrick, of Makikihi, at �5 3s per acre;
sections 10 and 11, block IV, Black Swamp Block, containing 336 acres 1 rood 28 poles, to Mr D. M'Taggart, of Morven, at �6 15s per acre;
sections 12 and 18, block 3V, Black Swamp Block, containing 280 acres 1 2 roods 17 poles, to Mr Daniel Murphy, of Kerrytown, Timaru, at �6 15s per acre;
section 3, block IV, Black Swamp Block, containing 142 acres 0 roods 25 poles, to Mr Patrick Lyons, of Temuka, at �7 10s per acre;
section 7, block IV, Black Swamp Block, containing 319 acres 1 rood 29 poles, to Mr Patrick Lyons, of Temuka, at �5 per acre;
section 12, block VIII, Black Swamp Block, containing 123 acres 2 roods 10 poles, to Mr Daniel Murphy, of Timaru, at �4 15s per acre;
section 5, block VIII, Block Swamp Block, containing 446 -acres 2 roods 5 poles, to Mr J. T. Dynes, of Kingsdown Timaru, at �3 17s 6dl per acre;
section 6, block VIII, Black Swamp Block, containing 289 acres 3 roods 18 poles, to Mr Harry Cromie, of Kingsdown, Timaru, at �3 17s 6d per acre ;
sections 8 and 32, Sandstone Block, containing 395 acres, to Messrs Shallard Bros., of Winchester, at �3 2s 6d per, acre;
section 11, Sandstone Block, containing 220 acres, to Messrs R. A. and A. Gibson, of Timaru, at �4 5s per acre ;
section 14, Sandstone Block, containing 271 acres 2 roods 3 poles, at �3 10s per acre, to Messrs R. and A. Gibson, of Timaru;
section 29, Sandstone Block, containing 351 acres, to Mr Jas. Gibson, of Timaru, at �4 5s per acre.
The inquiries for particulars and plans of the property, instead of slackening off, are becoming keener every day. We have had more buyers after the property during the last week than at any time since it has been advertised, and it is quite evident that a complete clearance of the estate will be made, and those thinking of buying should inspect the property at once. Waimea is the last of the large freehold estates left in Southland, and buyers of land wanting to get in at first hands in Southland will not get a chance again if they lose this opportunity.
Ashburton Guardian, 31 August 1905, Page 2
Mr R. Y. Ferguson, land and estate agent, reports having sold during the past month—
175 acres, lease in perpetuity, Hilton, on account of Mr E. Griffiths, to Mr W. A Hewson, Ashburton
half acre and dwelling, Geraldine, on account of Mr T. Baxter
half acre and dwelling, Ashburton, on account of Mr Lubow; in conjunction with Messrs Dalgety and Co, of Wellington,
He also reports a successful clearing sale on account of Mr T. Baxter, Geraldine, of household furniture, carpenter's tools, etc, in conjunction with Messrs Mcllroy and Turner, auctioneers, Geraldine.
Witness, 7 March 1906, Page 24
The National Mortgage and Agency Company report the following sales of property in South Canterbury: —
On account of Alex. Copland — freehold farm of 246 acres, near St. Andrews, to H. R. Bell
W. Travis — goodwill and improvements of lease in perpetuity at Otaio, to A. Soper
S. Hansen — six acres freehold, with wool fellmongery and all appliances, on Pareora River, to A. S. Palmer
William Hay — freehold estate of 3633 acres at Tyko Flat, near Timaru, together with all stock, movables, and improvements, as a going concern, to Simon Mackenzie ; besides several parcels of freehold in the suburbs of Timaru — all at satisfactory prices which show a material advance on values current last year. There is an active demand in the district for all kinds of property.
Ashburton Guardian, 7 July 1906, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd, report the sale of the following properties during the past month Account Mr Jere Connolly, jun., his farm of 208 acres, on Geraldine-Orari road, better known as Wilkinson's farm, to Mrs Wordsworth, of Geraldine
account Messrs Morrison Bros., Geraldine, lease of their farm at Carew, of 534 acres to Messrs Jimson Bros., of Geraldine;
account Mr W. J. Warne, his farm known as Mount Gay, Hazelburn, containing 153 acres, to Mr Daniel Sergent;
account Mr T. Dugdale, his farm containing 354 acres, situate at Arno, to Mr F. Crowle
account Messrs R. Campbell and Sons, Ltd. their Buscot Estate, situate at Hakataramea, containing 5.500 acres, together with all live and dead farm stock, as a going concern, to Mr J. A. Sutton, of Waitangi. This property was sold in conjunction with Messrs Bruce, Christie and Co.
Otago Witness, 11 July 1906, Page 26
PROPERTY SALES. The National Mortgage and Agency Company of New Zealand (Limited), have to advise having sold the following properties: �
On account of John Barclay, goodwill, stock, and plant, Homestead Block, Waikakahi, 640 acres, to Robert Allen;
on account of S. Trevurza 360 acres Waitohi, to John Talbot;
on account of S. Trevurza, 305 acres Waitohi, to H. McCully;
on account of Bruce Gillies, 129 acres Glen-iti, to J. E. P. Cameron;
on account of Bruce Gillies, 1527 acres Raincliff, to Samuel Trevurza;
on account of L H.G. Stowell, goodwill, lot 3 Otaio Settlement, 35 acres, to David Young;
on account of executors of late C. Adams, 131 acres Raincliff to Mrs Gould;
on account of executors of late Bendix Hallenstein, "Gabites Corner" (a well-known business site), Timaru, to Turnbull Bros.
Timaru Herald, 13 August 1900, Page 2
Two farms have recently been disposed of by Mr J. Douglas, on the Waihao Downs estate by private sale, at figures satisfactory to the vendor. The purchasers are Mr Henry Sides, of Kaiapoi, 500 acres, at., Mr J. Milne, of Kaiapoi, 120 acres.
Otago Witness , 7 November 1906, Page 39
The National Mortgage and Agency Company of New Zealand (Ltd.) report the following sales during October- On account of Mr A. W. Morris (Fairlie, South Canterbury), his Cora Linn (sic: Cora Lynn) property, consisting of 1135 acres, to J. T J. M'Gregor (of Springburn)
on account of Mr J. O'Loughlin (St. Andrew's South Canterbury). 03 acres Pareora, to Mr M. Sullivan (Pareora) on account of Mr R. Baxter (Timaru),
lot 1, Archerton Extenston, 39 perches, to Mr J. H. G. Chappie (St. Andrews)
lot 2. 36 perches, to Mr Alexander Baird (Timaru)
lot 3, 36 perches, to Mr W. Mack (Fairview);
lot, 4, 1 rod. to Mr J. Murray (Timaru) lot 9, 1 rood 32 poles, to Mr J. E. Hardley (Timaru);
lots 10 and 11, 1 acre, to Mr J. H. G. Chappie (St. Andrews)
lot 12, 1 rood 18 poles, to Mr J. E. Hardley (Timaru);
on account of Mr S. Turnbull (St. Andrews) 584 acres, to Mr R. Catherwood on account of the New Zealand Trust and Loan Company, Traquair Estate, Outram, 16.000 acres freehold, and stock, as a going concern, to Mr R. G. Baxter (Timaru).
Ashburton Guardian, 17 November 1906, Page 2
The Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, report the sale of the following properties at satisfactory prices —
On account of Mr Alexander Mackenzie, 50 acres L.T.P., at Arno, to Mr J. Thomas
On account of Mr Neill McPherson, 50 acres freehold, at Waituna, to Mr F. W. Turner
On account Mr W. J. Robinson, his leasehold at Waimate, to Messrs Mackenzie Bros.
On account of Mr E, R. Kingsbury, 290 acres at Waimate, to Messrs Mackenzie Bros.
On account of Mr C. Boland, 276 acres, with Homestead, at Arowhenua, to Mr J. Scott
On account Mr T. Cadwallader, farm of 46 acres, at Rangitata, to Messrs W. and J. Kelland.
On account of Mr J. R. Ferguson, Woodbury, 50 acres to Mr F. Flatman, and 136 acres to Mr J. Webb
On account Mr P. Skinner, 276 acres at Makikihi, to Mr E. R. Kingsbury
On account Mr J. Booker, his farm of 67 acres at Waituna, to Mr W. Simpson, of Amberley.
Ashburton Guardian, 22 December 1906, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd report the sale of the following properties :—
On account of Mr Richard Hoare, his farm situate at Temuka, containing 100 acres L.1.P,, to Mr Leslie Bourn
on account of Mr A. C. Johnson, his Burnside farm, situate on main road between Temuka and Winchester, containing 143 acres, to Mr John W. Shaw
on account of Mr Wm. Bennett, Jun., his farm containing 310 acres, situate at Woodbury, to Mr John Rice
on account of Mr C. W. Lee, his dwelling house and 20 acres of land, situate on the Pleasant Valley Bead, Geraldine, to Mr E. O'Malley
on account of Mr Felix O'Donnell, his farm, containing 206 acres, situate at Waihao Downs, to Mr Jas. Preece
on account of the executors of the late D. N. Inwood (in conjunction with the Farmers' Co-operative), their farm containing 203 acres, situate at Winchester, together with the Winchester Flour Mill and Buildings, to Mr Wm. Harrison.
Ashburton Guardian, 4 May 1907, Page 1
Guinness and LeCren, Ltd,, report the sale of Stony Creek Estate, together with all stock and plant, on account of Mr Wm. Grant, to Mr Alex. Allen. The property, which consists of 2195 acres of good agricultural land, is situated within a short distance of Waihao Forks railway station find saleyards. The following sales have also been made by this firm since the last report:—On account of Mr J. S. Watson, 141 acres at Hunter, to Mr Arch. Gibson
on account of Mr P. Perry, 2100 acres at Milton, to Mr G. Boyd
on account of Mr W. S. Williams, 128 acres 3 roods, at Glenavy, to Mr Henry Allen
on account of Mr Henry Allen, 11 acres 3 roods 27 perches, at Hunter, to Mr Geo. Hicks
on account of Mr J. P. Faulos, 40 acres 1 i.p. at Nukuroa, to Mr J. P. Watson
on account of Mr D. Brock's estate, aerated water factory, with plant, to Mr D. Foster; on recount
on Messrs Gudex and Aker, business premises, comprising butcher shop, grocery store, Post office, and coal yard, at Washdyke, lo Mr S. Lindsay.
The Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, report the sale of the following properties at satisfactory prices
On account Mr W. M. Hamilton, farm of 115 acres at Waimate, to Mr John Deans;
on account Mr K. S. Kain, 80 acre farm at Willowbridge, to Mr John Northcott;
on account Mr M. J. Corrigan, 1 i.p. farm of 372 acres at Wakakahi, to Mr James Stewart, Jr.
on account Mr John Taylor, 67 acre farm at Geraldine, to Mr T. Kelliher;
on account Mr Wm. Budd, goodwill of lease of 150 acres at Winchester to Mr John Knox
on account Mr W. K. Macdonald, 8 acres of Marchwiel, to Mr J. P. Newman
on account Mr D. O'Donohue, public hall and ground at Fairlie to Mrs Coombs;
on account Rev. Thomas Farley grain shed with one acre St. Andrews, to Mr Felix Hart
on account Mr J. W.H. Martin, his farm at Seadown, 256 acres to Mr John Kellman
on account Mr Andree Cleland 260 acres at Sutherland to Mr H. J Cowles
on account Mr George Woodhead, farm at Milford, 100 acres, to Mr McCorimick
on account Mr Alexander Urquhart, farm of100 acres, Gapes' Valley, to Mr W. Warne.
Otago Witness, 22 May 1907, Page 27
The New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company advises the following sales: —
On account of Mr S. Trevurza, Fairlie, his freehold property of 1527 acres, Raincliff, to Mr E. Macdonald of Athol, Southland
On account of Mr John Swaney, 191 acres at Kakahu to Messrs A. and D. Wilkinson, of Geraldine
On account of the executors of the late John Whittaker, 186 acres, Fairview, Timaru, to Mr J Elder, of Fairview
On account of Mr J. T. Whittaker, Fairview, the goodwill, with College Reserve, 325 acres, to Mr R. Kelland, Fairview
All the above changed hands at satisfactory prices.
Ashburton Guardian, 5 October 1907, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the sale of the following properties during the past fortnight:
On account of Mr C. L. Orbell, 154 acres, being part of the Rolling Ridges, situate at the Levels, to Mr A. G. Hart
on account of Mr W. H. Orbell, 317 acres, being part of the Rolling Ridges, situate at the Levels, to Mr J. Divan
on account of Mr Arthur Hope, his well-known Raincliff estate, Pleasant Point, containing 2154 acres of freehold and 1200 acres of leasehold, together with new stone and tiled mansion, containing 25 rooms, and farm and station buildings, to Mr Geo. Murray
on account of the Timaru High School Board, leases of their Reserve 938, at Clandeboye, as follows: lot 1, 190 acres, to Mrs Margaret Hanlon, of South Dunedin, at 23s per acre per annum; lot 2, 97 acres, to Mrs Hanlon, at 32s per acre per annum; lot 3, 97 acres, to Mrs Hanlon, at 34s 6d per acre per annum
on account of Mr J. Divan, his farm, containing 317 acres situate at the Levels, to Mr James Smith
on account of Mr Daniel Clark (in conjunction with Wright, Stephenson and Co.,) his farm at Waipahi. containing 1430 acres, together with sheep, horses, cattle, farm implements and furniture, to Mr A. J. Webb, late of Hazelburn.
Ashburton Guardian, 26 October 1907, Page
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the following sales of properties during the past fortnight-:
On account of Mr George H. Spriggs, 345 acres, 2 roods, 20 perches, freehold, at Waihao Downs, and 42½ acres leasehold, to Mr P. J. Wain
account Mr R. Cupples, 425 acres, 2 roods, 14 perches, freehold, at Otautau, with adjoining leasehold, to Mr George H. Spriggs
account Mr W. B. Hutchinson, 300 acres lease in perpetuity at Elderslie, to Mr Jas. McGimpsey
account Mr W. J. Pithie, his lease in perpetuity farm at Ealing, consisting of 344 acres, to Mr Jas. Jones
account of the exors. of the late Michael Gilmour, their 60 acre farm, situate on the Opihi road, Pleasant Point, to Mr Edward Cartwright. The firm report that the demand for all classes of properties is much keener than usual at this season, and prices continue to rise in sellers' favour, doubtless owing in a large measure to the excellent prospects for a successful season.
Otago Witness, 6 November 1907, Page 40
Land Sales. — Mr A. Duncan has sold his farm of 320 acres on the Rosewill Settlement to a Christchurch farmer. Mrs Kilpatrick, of the Cave store, has sold her business to Mr Johnstone of Timaru.
Taranaki Herald, 9 November 1907, Page 2
Oamaru, November 8. Yesterday the National Mortgage and Agency Company sold, on be half of Mr. A. D. Bell, 46,500 acres of his Shag Valley, station. The buyer is Charles Booker, of Timaru.
Ashburton Guardian, 9 November 1907, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the sale of the following properties during the past week. On account of Mr John Wall, his Redcliff property, containing 88 acres 2 roods 27 perches, to Mr F. W. Meyer on account of Mr John Foley, 109 acres situate near Studholme Junction, to Mr Wm. Dempsey on account of Mr Wm, I. Milne, his lease-in-perpetuity farm, known as "Kai Ora," containing 240 acres 1 rood 8 perches, situate at Albury, to Mr J. T. Anderson on account of Mrs Hilda Wright, her property, known as "Eversley," Fairlie, containing 3 acres 0 roods 25 perches to Mr John Riddle.
Ashburton Guardian, 30 November 1907, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the following sales during the past week. On account of Mr John Meikle and Cramond's Trustees, their grazing property known as Meikleburn Estate, situate at Fairlie, containing 2500 acres of freehold land, to Mr J. McDonald; on account of Mr L. Pierce, his market garden property of 20 acres near Orari, to Mr George Hamilton.
Ashburton Guardian, 14 December 1907, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the following sales during the past week
On account of Mrs Grierson, her lease-in-perpetuity farm, containing 124 acres, being the homestead block on Mills Settlement at The Hook, Waimate, to Mr E. C. Walton and on account of Mr E. M. Vigers, his freehold property at the Hook, containing 78 acres, to Mr W. Nicholas.
Ashburton Guardian, 18 January 1908, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the following recent sales of writes:
On account of Mr Chas. Leslie Orbell, 337 acres, being the balance of his Rolling Ridges estate, situate at Levels, to Mr T. Dougles;
on account of Mr John Meikle, the whole of the stock on the Meikleburn estate at Fairlie, consisting of 2660 half-bred sheep, cattle, horses, farm implements, etc., as a going concern, to Mr John McDonald of Napier;
on account of Mr Thos. Teschemaker, 2300 acres of freehold, and 7636 acres of leasehold, being part of his Otaio estate, to Mr E. J. Parrott
on account of Mr Geo. Sides, his lease in perpetuity farm, containing 143 acres near Morven, to Mr S. J. Bailey
on account of Mr E. O'Neill, 50½ acres of freehold, situate near Studholme, to Mr E. H. Chainey
on account of Mr J. H. Mitchell, the well known Kenwyn estate of 726 acres on a lease for a term of years by tender, to Mr Jas. Borrie, of Totara Valley
on account of Mrs Burns, her lease in perpetuity of 18 acres, near Morven, to Mr R. W. Meynell
on account of Mr H. F. Brown, his farm situate at Te Moana Gorge, consisting of 249 acres, to Mr Joseph Robinson
on account of Four Peaks estate, 30 acres bush country at Te Moana Gorge, to Mrs Jane Dawe
on account of Mr W. Gabe, his lease in perpetuity farm of 100 acres at Arundel, to Mr W. Angove of Hinds
on account of Mr W. Mason, 6 acres of good agricultural land at Orari, to Mr J G. Hamilton
on account of Messrs Miller Bros, (in conjunction with Dalgety and Co., Dunedin.) their agricultural and sheep grazing farm at Milton, containing 750 acres, to Mr Henry F. Brown.
Otago Witness, 5 February 1908, Page 53
Cave Land Sales — Mr Donald Nicholason has cold his run, Scottshills, to Mt Wilford Howell, of Nimrod, and Mr H. Elworthy, of Craigmore, has thrown open 4009 acres of his estate for sale, so this valley is going to get filled with settlement soon.
Otago Witness, 12 February 1908, Page 23
OAMARU, February 7. The ballot for the 43 sections available for allotment on Otekaike Settlement took place this afternoon in the Courthouse.
Ashburton Guardian, 29 February
1908, Page 4 LAND SALES.
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the sale of the following properties
On account of Mr John Jobberns, his farm of 202 acres, situated at To Moana, to Mr George Gale, Pleasant Valley
on account of Capt. E. F. Temple, his sheep-grazing farm, situated at Te Moana, comprising 40 acres freehold and 132 acres lease-in perpetuity, to Mr Alex. Urquhart, of Gapes Valley
on account of the executors of the late John Hay, their grazing farm, situated at Opuha bridge, known as Ray's Top," consisting of 252 acres, to Mr R. A. Dixon, of Fairlie
on account of Mr C. Borrell, ¼-acre section with house, in Geraldine borough, to Mr H. Kelly, of Arundel
on account of Mr Geo. Sides, 143 acres lease-in-perpetuity, Waikakahi, to Mr S. J. Bailey on account of Mr E. J. Parrott, 15,372 acres leasehold grazing country near Otaio, to Mr Carlisle Studholme
on account of owners, 190 acres at Kapua, to Mr R. E. Judson on account of Mr Arthur Dale, 421 acres freehold farm at Hunter, Makikihi, to Mr Robert Gill
on account of Mr David McLeod, 262 acres freehold farm at Hook, to Mr G. W. Rogers
Otago Witness, 13 May 1908, Page 26
Land Sales: Wright, Stephenson, and Co. (Ltd.) report having recently effected the following sales of farm and station properties in Otago and Southland : —
On account of Mr Robert McCaw, Waitahuna: His freehold farm of 502 acres, near Waitahuna, being sections 16, 17, 21, 49, 12, 24, 28, 55, 74, and 90, block V, Tuapeka East survey district, to Mr F. A. Haskins, of Timaru
On account of Mr C. R. James, Greenfield. His freehold farm of 541 acres, being section la, Greenfield Settlement, to Mr R. W. Selbie, of Timaru
Ashburton Guardian, 20 June 1908, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the sale of the following properties during the past month:
for Mr George Murray, his "Raincliff" estate, situated at Pleasant Point, containing 2133 acres of freehold and 1197 acres of leasehold, also sheep, horses, cattle and farming plant, to Mr W. H. Orbell; for Mr Edward Bingham, his Brinklands farm, situated at Winscombe, containing 990 acres of rich agricultural and grazing land, to Mr J. Connolly;
for Mr John Mee, his Woodbury farm, containing 380 acres, situated at Four Peaks, to Mr L. R. Corsbie
for Mr R. Kelland (in conjunction with the C.F.C.A. and N.M. and A Co.), his Fairview farm, containing 462 acres, to Mr Samuel Wright; Tycho Flat property, 265 acres, with homestead, to Mr Pat O'Boyle; 286 acres, No. 2 block, to Mr Wm. Morrison; Limeston block, of 275 acres, to Mr Neil O'Boyle; Canterbury College Reserve at Fairview, containing 325 acres, to Mr George Grant.
Guardian, 24 July 1908, Page 2
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., report the following land sales in the Waimate district:
On account of Mr Randal McAlister, 258 acres freehold at Hunter, to Mr Frederick Magon
on account of Mr George Robbins; 241 acres lease-in-perpetuity at Waikakahi, to Mr Robert Wellwood
on account of Mr John Wright, 128 acres freehold at Waihao Downs, to Mr Joseph Ford
on account of Mr W. F. Cheverton, 80 acres freehold at Willowbridge, to Mr Samuel Cunningham
on account of Mr John H. Luck, 65 acres freehold at Willowbridge, to Mr John Foley
on account of Mr James Hassan, 50 acres lease-in-perpetuity at Hook, to Mr W. A. Peck.
Otago Witness, 23 December 1908, Page 21
Guinness and LeCren (Limited), Timaru, report the following sales during the past fortnight:—
On account of Mr F. S. Shearer, his sheep farm, known as "Strathmore," containing 1401 acres 1 rood 2 perches situate at Hinds, to a client. On account of Mr Arthur Morris, his well-known Acacia. Farm, containing 547 acres, to Mr A. Cockburn
On account of owner leasehold farm, containing 80 acres, at Rangitata, to Mr Shaw
On account of Mr H. W. Lovegrove, his dwelling-house and section in Timaru, to a client
On account of Mr Robert J. McKeown, the Homestead Block of his Well Park Estate, containing 457 acres, together with homestead and farm buildings, to Mr W. S. Burton, of Fendalton, Christchurch
Evening Post, 29 March 1909, Page 3
The Commissioner for Crown Lands (Mr. Jas. Mackenzie) conducted the ballot of the Carrington Estate, near Carterton, on Saturday. following were the results of the ballot :— ... Sec. 9, 634a— Fanny Parker, Waimataitai, Timaru : rentals, £57 7s 6d and £4 6s 6d.
Guardian, 13 May 1909, Page 3
The first sale for many years in this district of a privately subdivided estate was held at Geraldine to-day, when the original homestead at Raukapuka, close to the borough, was submitted.
Lot 1, Mr M. Burridge (employee on estate)
Lot 2, Mr D Livingstone (manager of Mount Peel station)
Lot 7, Mr W. Hewson, of Orari bridge
Lot 17 Mr A. Jones, of Geraldine, £24 10s per acre. Lot 18 passed at £19 per acre, and lot 19 at £14 per acre.
Lot 20 Mr N. Sherratt of Geraldine
Lot 21 Mr W. Fyfe, of Geraldine
Lot 24 Mr T. H. Taylor, Belfield,
Lot 30, 1 acre, Mr H. R. Pratt, of Geraldine,
The homestead block of 7943 acres started at £15, and at £20 10s was passed to the bid of Mr J. Connolly. After selling one or two of the acre sections and finding that the bidding for others did not come up to the reserves, the auctioneer announced that the balance of the sections would be sold privately. The reserve on those facing Campbell street was understood to be £60 per acre, and on those facing Tancred street, £40 per acre.
Guardian, 31 July 1909, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following additional land sales: For ;Mr John Brown, his farm containing 630 acres of agricultural and sheep and adjoining the Mayfield Saleyards, to Mr H. A. Scown, of Timaru; for Mr Robert J. McKeown, ,the middle block of his "Well Park" estate, situate at Pleasant Point, containing 272 acres of agricultural and pastoral land to Mr D. M.. Skinner of Port Chalmers for the executors of the late James Balfour, their farm at Totara Valley, Pleasant Point, containing 212 acres of wheat growing land, to Mr John Divan, junior, of Seadown.
Ashburton Guardian, 25 September 1909, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following land sales during the past fortnight.: For Mr W. A. Taylor, his farm' of 471 acres, situate at Clandeboye, to Mr J. Campbell for Messrs' O'Boyle and Ritchie, their suburban farm containing 133 acres of land, situate on the Fairview road, Timaru, to Mr Lewis Mathias; and for Mr A. Moore, his farm containing 200 acres, situate at Gapes Valley, to Mr H. Alley. (This farm was sold m conjunction with Messrs Bruce and Coy.)
Ashburton Guardian, 21 August 1909, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following land sales, during the past week: For Mr Robert J. McKeown, 80 acres, situate at Totara Valley, Pleasant Point, to Mr John Cook, for the Governors of Canterbury College, leases for 20 years and 9 months of their reserve at Milford, containing 61 acres 2 roods 23 perches, to Mr Michael J. Quinn, of Temuka for the Registrar of the Supreme Court 584 acres at Gapes Valley, to the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile, Agency Coy. Ltd. (In this sale they were associated with the National Mortgage and Agency Coy, Ltd.), Messrs Guinness and LeCren and that these, farms were sold at highly satisfactory prices and that they have further to report an improvement in the money market, the tightness of the past twelve months having eased off, and money being available for investment.
Ashburton Guardian, 28 August 1909, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report having sold, on account of Mr Robert J. McKeown, the balance of his Well Park estate, Totara Valley, to Mrs E. H. Cook, of Pleasant Point. The Well Park estate originally comprised 1037 acres of agricultural and pastoral land, and Mr McKeown decision to subdivide the estate has been the means of five farmers settling on the property. The sales are as follows: Lot 1, containing 445 acres, homestead block, to Mr W. S. Buxton, of Fendalton; lot 2, containing 270 acres, middle block, to Mr D. M. Skinner, of Port Chalmers; lot 3, containing 160 acres, at Totara Valley, to Mr Arthur Bishop, of Pleasant Point; lot 4, 80 acres, at Totara Valley, to Mr John Cook, of Pleasant Point; lot 5, balance at Totara Valley, to Mrs E. H. Cook, of Pleasant Point.
Ashburton Guardian, 23 October 1909, Page 1
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following sales of properties during the past fortnight: For Messrs Harper and Ensor, their Springvale estate, situated at Fairlie, containing 1575 acres, together with 2790 ewes and lambs, 530 ewe hoggets, 22 Border Leicester rams, 12 draught horses, 3 light horses, 23 head of cattle, pigs, implements, farming plant and furniture, as a going concern; for the New Zealand Railways, 10 years' leases of wool and grain stores situated in Timaru railway station yard, to Messrs John Mill and Co., Ltd, of Port Chalmers.
Ashburton Guardian, 5 February 1910, Page 4 LAND SALES.
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following sales of properties during the past fortnight: On account of the executors of the late H. J. LeCren, 37 acres 2 roods 81 perches, together with residence, to Mr Mark Higgins ; for Mr Bartholomew Horgan, his dairy farm situate at Quinn's Island, Temuka, containing 11 acres, to Mr Frank Lewis ; for Messrs Ritchie and O'Boyle, 100 acres of wheat and oats at Fairview to Mr Alfred Ivey.
Press, 25 April 1910, Page 3
Mr Arthur Jones, of Waimate, has purchased the new residence and farm rear Hook railway station from the executors of the late Mr W. J. Hendie. The land area is about 32½ acres.
The Canterbury Farmers' Co-op. Association has opened a new store at Studholme Junction.
Ashburton Guardian, 7 January 1911, Page 4
A Land Sale. Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report having sold, on account of Mr H. A. Innes Jones, his well known "Kingsbury" farm, containing 850 acres of land, together with homestead, adjoining Cricklewood railway station, to Mr James Corbett.
Ashburton Guardian, 29 April 1911, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following sales of properties during the past month:— For Mr J. L. Hamilton, his "Dunoon" farm at St. Andrews, containing 316 acres, with homestead and buildings, to Mr R. O. Stonyer; for Mr James Benbow, his "Ladymoor" farm at Temuka, containing 418 acres 3 roods and 33 perches, with fine homestead and buildings, to Mr David J. Young.
Ashburton Guardian, 12 June 1911, Page 4
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Ltd., Timaru, report the following sales of properties during the past fortnight:
For Mr William Dixon, his "Pusey" estate situate in Cattle Valley, Fairlie, containing 1240 acres, to Mr F. Buckley
for Mr James Corbett, his farm of, 289 acres, at Cricklewood, to Mr Milson J. Lee
the Clarendon farm, near Milton, containing 3000 acres, with homestead and buildings, to Mr W. J, Johnston
for Mr L. Inwood, his "Fernside" farm, at Pleasant Point, containing 105 acres, limestone land, to Mr George MacKie.
Ashburton Guardian, 22 June 1912, Page 8
Messrs Guinness and LeCren, Limited, Geraldine, report the following additional land sales to date:—
On account of Mr J. Connolly, to Mr L. Rooke, 768 acres, being all the agricultural land on the Woodside Estate
on account of Mr L. Rooke, 254 acres near Geraldine, to Mr J. Connolly
on account of Mr H. B. Williams, his leasehold property (comprising 394 acres), at Carew, to Messrs Barton Bros.
on account of Mr A. H. Bates, his freehold farm of 393 acres at Hazelburn, to Mr J. F. Burrows
on account of Mrs Cormack, 110 acres of her property (at Woodbury), to Mr Joseph Webb.
Evening Post, 29 August 1912, Page 8 LAND BALLOTS
BOURNEDALE AND WATMATE SETTLEMENTS. WAIMATE, This Day. Ballots for sections in the Bournedale and Waimate settlements, situated near Makikihi and Waimate respectively, took place this morning, Mr. C. R. Pollen (Commissioner of Crown Lands) and members of the Land Board being present. The results were as follow: BOURNEDALE
Section 1 300 acres, half-yearly rent £80— Mary Lucy Heffernan, Waitata, Timaru
Section 2 233 acres, rent £74 10s— Kaye W. Mercer, Makikihi
Section 3 193 acres, rent £79 4s— Edith Grace Bate, Kaiapoi
Section 4 No applicants
Section 5 202 acres, rent £91 Roland Taylor, St. Andrews
Section 6 192 acres, rent £65 Robert Mackenzie, Christchurch
Section 7 211 acres, rent £63 William H. King, Rosewill, Timaru
Section 1, 337 acres, half-yearly rent £64 11s — William O'Donnell, Masterton
Section 2, 384 acres, rent £60 15s— No applicants
Section 3, 366 acres, rent £89— Cecil Taaffe, Waimate (fifteen applicants)
Section 4, 31 acres, rent £21 3s - Daniel Divan, Amberley
Section 5, 17 acres, rent £13 1s William Reed, Waimate
Section 6, 20 acres, rent £13 19s— James J. Fogarty, Waimate
Sections 7, 8, and 9 No applicants
Section 10, 15 acres, rent £13 10s— Charles Lawry, Waimate
Section 11, 12 acres, rent £11 9s— Michael Thyne, Waimate
Sections 13, 13a and 14 No applicants
Section 14a, Robert Sharp, Waimate
Section 15, 9 acres, rent £10 7s— Fred W. Saver, Waimate
Section 16, No applicants left in
Section 17— Mary Denniston, Timaru
Section 18, Louis Hurn, Waimate
Section 19 No applications
Section 20, 19 acres, rent £15 13s— James Sullivan, Waimate
Sections 21 and 22 No applications
Section 23, 20 acres, rent £18 Martha Wooffinden, Waimate
Section 24, 20 acres, rent £18 Mary Cornelius, Waimate
Section 25 No applicants left in
Section 26, 12 acres, rent £1011s— William H. Norton, Waimate
Sections 27, 28, 30, 31, and 31a— None left in
Section 29, 36 acres, rent £31 1s John Corry, Morven
Section 30a, 18 acres,, rent £16 4s— Alfred B. Dunstan, Pleasant Point
Timothy Kennedy. Waimate, afterwards made application for, section 21, 16 acres
Ashburton Guardian, 29 December 1915, Page 4
Mr H. T. Rosendale, who has been farming at Claremont about three or four miles out of Timaru for a good many years, left for Christchurch, where he intends to take up-his residence. He has sold his Claremont House property to Mr H. F. Niccoll, of Ashburton.
Ashburton Guardian, 13 November 1919, Page 4
Three Crown pastoral runs — two in the Mackenzie/Country and one in the Ashburton; County—have been recently classified and subdivided. The runs so dealt with are Rhoboro-Downs and Ben Ohau (Mackenzie Country) and Clent Hills (Ashburton County). Each lessee has made his selection of one of the areas into, which these runs have been subdivided, and the balance will be made available for selection by discharged soldiers shortly.
Ashburton Guardian, 25 March 1920, Page 4
The ballot for the Clent Hills run, of 30,100 acres, in the Ashburton County, was held in the Provincial Council Chambers yesterday afternoon, the successful applicant being Harry Pursey Baker, of Cave, South Canterbury. He served in the Royal Air Force. There were 47 applicants, but through withdrawals and rejections by the Canterbury Land Board the number was reduced to 27. Most of the applicants who were rejected had not sufficient capital to work the property. The land is pastoral, though about 8000 acres are flat and undulating. The remainder is very steep and broken. The half-yearly rental is £282, and the term of the lease is 21 years.
Evening Post, 7 December 1916, Page 4
A comprehensive statement) relating to what has been done by the Government and what it is intended to do in regard to placing returned-soldiers on the land under the Discharged Soldiers Settlement Act, 1915, was made to a Post representative by the Hon. Jas. Allen (Acting-Prime Minister).
CANTERBURY. The number of returned soldiers settled in this district is three, and the area held by them is 755 acres, being all agricultural land. The selectors have been such a short time on the land that one can scarcely say how they are likely to progress, but so far progress is satisfactory. The area set apart and still available for selection in 559 acres, of which 516 acres is dairying land. The total area being prepared for settlement for soldier settlers is 59,033 acres, made up as follows: Cheviot Estate 3453, Rollesby Run 12,570, Clayton Run 12,800, Lees Valley Run 26,200, Paddy's Market" 2260, Bray's and Wills's farms (near Fairlie) 1750. The whole of the land is suitable for sheep except the latter, which is agricultural.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE, For the purpose of assisting soldier settlers financially, the Act authorised the Minister of Finance to raise a sum not exceeding £100,000. and to date advances amounting to £29,333 have been authorised, and the sum of £11,996 actually advanced. The advances authorised are chiefly for the erection of buildings and fencing and for the purchase of stock. All materials or articles are purchased on the cheapest markets, and the settlers are given practical assistance and advice when purchasing stock.
Colonist, 15 March 1917, Page 6
Timaru, 31 March 14. The Land Board to-day, by ballot, disposed of five grazing runs, a sub-division of part of Clayton run, near Fairlie, and one at Burke's Pass, to discharged soldiers. For eight farms in the Cricklewood soldier settlement, there were only two applicants, and these were given a farm each at the upset rental.
Grey River Argus 15 March 1917, Page 3
The Land Board to-day by ballot disposed of live grazing runs and a sub-division, part of the Clayton run near Fairlie and one at Burkes Pass went to discharged soldiers. There were nine applicants for the six runs. The successful men were—Caskey, Jones, Trotter and McConnel of Fairlie, Galway, Christchurch. and Guinness, Timaru. For eight farms at the Cricklewood soldier settlement there were only two applicants and these were given a farm each at the upset rental. They were: Horgan and Waddell, both of Christchurch.
Press, 5 May 1919, Page 4 LAND BOARD.
The monthly meeting of the Canterbury Land Board was presided over, in the absence of the Commissioner (Mr H. D. M. Haszard) by Mr R. Macaulay. The following transfers were approved:
P.R. 290, Run 4C, Peel Forest, Orari, 588 acres, William Henry to Frederick William Morgan (discharged soldier).
L.P. 1499, section 38 Rosewill Settlement, 269 acres, executors M. Scannell to W. F. Davidson.
L.P. 711, section 60, Albury Settlement, 755 acres, executors R. Riddle to V. Casey.
L.P. 686 section 31, Albury Settlement, 462 acres, E. E. Luscombe to W. Wright.
L.P. 1676. section 117, Rosewell Settlement, 324 acres 2 roods, A. McKenzie to Peter Porter.
L.P. 321, Reserve 2033, block II., Geraldine,81 acres 1 rood, A. G. Macdonald to F. W. Grayburn (discharged soldier)
E.R. 345. Lot 3, Res. 1204, Pareora, 116 acres 2 roods 6 poles, W. D. Campbell to J. C. Blackmore.
Ashburton Guardian, 13 April 1920, Page 4
The latest purchase by the Lands Department for soldier settlement in Canterbury is a block of 445 acres of first-class dairying and and agricultural land, four and a-half miles from Timaru. The block, which is expected to be available for ballot by the end of June; will be subdivided into four or five sections. The vendor is Mr Gladstone Robinson.
Applications for sections in the Waitohi Peaks settlement for discharged soldiers close on June 7, and the examination of applicants by the Land Board at. Christchurch will take place on June 9. For the Lambrook and Bankfield settlements, and for the Waitangi run, all in South Canterbury, applications by discharged soldiers close on May 29, and the examination of applicants by the Land Board, and ballots, will take place at Timaru on June 1.
Ashburton Guardian, 21 April 1920, Page 4
Mr H. D. M. Haszard, Commissioner of Crown Lands for Canterbury, informed a Timaru "Herald reporter yesterday that the Land Purchase Board will be in the Ashburton district in a few days inspecting several properties which have been placed under offer for soldier settlement. He mentioned also that three South Canterbury properties will be balloted shortly—"Bankfield," at-St. Andrews; Lambrook," at Fairlie; and the property lately owned by Mr Bowker at Hook. The next ballot for land in South Canterbury would be held in Timaru. The Government had just acquired 450 acres from Mr Gladstone Robinson in Washdyke Valley; and the work of surveying this would be started this week. Mr Haszard mentioned incidentally that the Canterbury Land Board had put through more soldier business than the other five South Island Land Boards combined.
Ashburton Guardian, 28 April 1920, Page 6
The Lands Department notify that the following blocks in Canterbury will be open for soldier settlement shortly:— Agricultural land The Bankfield Settlement, of 1435 acres, in eight sections, at St Andrews, and the Lambrook Settlement, of 900 acres, approximately, in four sections, at Winscombe. Applications will probably close on May 29. Pastoral. The Waitangi run, of 21,200 acres, in one block, situated near the Waitaki river; available on May 29.
Ashburton Guardian, 2 June 1920, Page 4
The Bankfield and Lambrook soldier settlement sections were balloted for at Timaru yesterday. Out of 22 applicants for section 5 of the Lambrook settlement Mr G. H Patterson, of Methven, was successful. Section 1 of Bankfield settlement was balloted for by 26 soldiers, Mr Alexander Cockburn, of Lauriston, proving the successful applicant.
Ashburton Guardian, 3 June 1920, Page 4
At the ballot at Timaru yesterday for sections in the Lambrook settlement considerable objection was taken when the Commissioner of Crown Lands announced that the homestead block; (section 2, of 383 acres) had been reserved for a son of the previous owner of the estate. The son is a returned soldier, but the applicants said that could be said of all of them, and that they should all be placed on the same level in the ballot. Immediately following the ballot, a number of applicants who had not drawn sections held a meeting of protest in the Municipal Chambers, when they, expressed themselves strongly concerning the disposal of the homestead block. Some of the applicants applied for this block only, including three who had come specially from Christchurch to go in for it and all contended that if it had been arranged to withhold the section from ballot all the applicants should have been informed of the fact, go that they might have been saved the time and cost of going in for it. As an outcome of the meeting, the following was drawn up and signed by 14 men who were present:—"We, the undersigned applicants, wish, to emphatically protest against the allotment of section 2 (homestead block). Lambrook settlement, to Mr A. H. Gillingham without going to the ballot. The majority of the applicants have lost time and money, in balloting for this section, and the matter will be put before the Returned Soldiers' Association and the Press." A copy of the above was handed to the Commissioner of Crown Lands by those who formulated it; for the Hon. D H. Guthrie, Minister for Lands.
Hugh's Loo, Woodbury, Nov. 2010