Timaru's Manhole Covers

Have you ever looked down and noticed the manhole covers down Stafford, Strathallan or Station St.'s Timaru? They are badly worn and there are not many of them left. The D stands for drain (storm drain) and the S stand for sewer. The hex manhole covers are about twenty years old and manufactured by a local company, the Austin Foundry, King St. Timaru. They had two or three patterns which represented early Timaru with the sailing ship and lighthouse and these identifies whether it is storm water or sewer underneath. The lid weighs 75kgs or 158lbs.

On Station St, Timaru. Photo taken by Margaret Todd 2010.
On Station St, Timaru.


Station St. near Strathallan St. Timaru. Photo taken at 8.30 on a foggy morning in May 2010.

On Station St, Timaru. Photo taken by Margaret Todd.
Canterbury Centenary 1850 - 1950
Site of the Le Cren's Landing Service where goods were landed from surf-boats until the harbour was built. Another plaque is within 3 minutes walking distance.

A lighthouse down Stafford St. Timaru.

Stafford St. near The Farmers. Sept. 2010 M.T.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project