Search billions of records on

Temuka's Old Identities Memorial

August 2009

In March /April 2015 the Pioneer Memorial is in ‘storage’ until the Council gets around to relocating it by April 2016. No time capsule was found on removal. Only a limestone block with names on it. There is a ten year plan for the Temuka Domain, a $1.5 million upgrade and in 2015 the Council were three years into it. The memorial will be located somewhere near where the old park caretaker's cottage and over the next seven years the area developed into a formal garden area and an area for picnics with a formal centrepiece to record the history of the Domain and Temuka. The Temuka Domain covers 75 hectares and has many trees scattered throughout and a small area of native bush, known as Gunnion's Bush, because it was planted in 1910 by Mr T Gunnion.

Timaru Herald, 6 July 1897, Page 4 THE TEMUKA PIONEERS.
A meeting of the Temuka Pioneers was held on Saturday evening in the Town Board Office, Temuka. Present— Messrs James Blyth (chairman), P. Coira, E H Brewer, D. Bradford, G. Levens, F. Oliver, H. Goodeve, T. Palmer, R. Edgar, J. Marshall, J. Whitehead, J. Findlay, A. Clyne, E. Pilbrow and A. Gaze (hon. sec). The chairman said that the memorial project had been taken up most enthusiastically and it was evident that interest was widespread. Several questions had cropped up as to qualification, amount of subscription, etc., and he hoped that those present would fully discuss the position before arrangements were handed over to the committee, The report of last meeting was read, also letters from Miss Hornbrook asking for information as to qualification ; from Mr Flatman jun., apologising for his father not having replied to a previous letter. His father was absent in the North Island, but he could vouch that he would sympathise with the movement. Messrs Duncan and Cotterill wrote on behalf of the Hewlings Trust. Mr A. Edgar, Rangitata, claimed, the qualification as a settler from 1866 and promised his support. Mr B. Martin (Glenavy) thanked the committee for calling his attention to the project, and promised it his support. Several verbal promises had been received by the secretary and members. In reply to questions, the chairman stated that the original proposal had expanded considerably, and it was evident the old hands desired to carry on the idea in a handsome way. After some conversational discussion it was resolved on the motion of Mr Edgar, seconded by Mr Goodeve - "That the lowest subscription to entitle a pioneer to have his name recorded on the memorial be £11s." It was agreed that widows of pioneers be allowed to represent them, but not to record the name of colonial born children as pioneers. The Temuka district was defined as the road Board district in 1863. Mr William Beattie was appointed to arrange with the old settlers in his district, and his name was added to the committee. Several minor matters were dealt with, and the meeting adjourned until Saturday next.

Pioneer Obelisk, Domain, Temuka
Foundation stone laid by Mrs Hornbrook, November, 1897, obelisk unveiled, 16th Dec. 1897.

Erected by the pioneers interested in the Temuka District, in commemoration of the 60th year of the reign of her most gracious majesty Queen Victoria June 22nd 1897.

Timaru Herald, 6 November 1897, Page 3
The foundation stone of the Temuka pioneers' memorial obelisk was laid in the Victoria Park, Temuka, on Thursday afternoon by Mrs Hornbrook, of Seadown, the widow of the late W. Hornbrook, one of the earliest of the Temuka settlers. The arrangements made by the committee were very complete, and those of Mr Cain, the contractor for the obelisk, were satisfactory in every respect. The site is near the entrance to the recreation ground and in full view of High street. At the hour appointed between three and four hundred persons were present, exclusive of the cricketers, cyclists, and other friends who were using the grounds. Among the visitors were to be seen settlers of many years standing, and also their representatives, some of whom had come considerable distances. The subscribers to the memorial and visitors were grouped as conveniently as could be arranged around the base of the obelisk, already in position, and photographed by Mr J. T. M. Hayhurst and Mr E. Cutten, who very kindly undertook the task. Mr James Blyth, chairman of the committee, then gave a brief account of the origin of the movement, and a very graphic description of the progress of Temuka from the days when he first knew it, many years before the flood of '65. His description of pioneer life was endorsed by many earnest comments from several of the settlers present. Mr Blyth, at the conclusion of his address, expressed his pleasure at having to invite Mrs Hornbrook to lay the foundation stone that day. The interest her late husband had taken in Temuka and their conjoined hospitality and kindness to everyone, was well known to all of the early residents. He formally asked her to see the foundation stone of the obelisk truly laid, and begged her acceptance of a silver trowel as a memento not only of the occasion but as a mark of the kindly feeling entertained towards herself by the pioneers. Mrs Hornbrook, after, the stone had been laid in position said " I now declare this stone well and truly laid," amidst a really old fashioned round of applause. Beneath the stone was placed a bottle containing coins, copies of the Timaru Herald of the 22nd June and current date, and of the Temuka Leader, and also a document notifying the date of the laying of the stone and containing the names of the committee, etc. The Rev. George Barclay, who had accepted the committee's invitation to be present, was received very cordially when he rose to speak. In a particularly happy manner he contrasted the old with the new, and gave many graphic instances of the progress of agriculture, education, trade and religion since he first knew Temuka. Many of his illustrations provoked laughter, and several, where reference was made to settlers now dead, were most sympathetically received. He sketched the history of colonisation which was really the history of civilization, and compared the characteristics of the pioneers of this colony as far as integrity, perseverance, and the desire to found a home for their descendants are concerned, very favourably with the characteristics of those of earlier days. Many thought that the country might be better, many desired new laws, but all should endeavour to make the colony greater than it already is. His remarks were received with very hearty applause. Upon Mr Arthur Rhodes devolved the task, a pleasing one, he said, of moving a vote of thanks to Mrs Hornbrook and the Rev. G. Barclay. In this he desired to include the chairman. As the representative of a colonist, and not himself as a pioneer, and also from personal experience, he referred to the hospitable manner in which the late Mr W. Hornbrook and his wife, whom all were be pleased to see present, had treated early residents, and he had great pleasure m endorsing the remarks made by the chairman as to the worth of the Rev. G. Barclay's labours in the early days. His (the speaker's) family was perhaps the first to buy land in South Canterbury, and he was proud to be there to take part in the gathering that day. Mr Rhodes then called for cheers for Mrs Hornbrook, the Rev. G. Barclay, and the chairman. These were heartily given and suitably acknowledged. A sketch of the obelisk, prepared in the office of Mr Turnbull, of Timaru, who is kindly superintending its erection, was displayed m proximity to the foundation stone, and it was agreed that it will prove a suitable memorial of the pioneers' appreciation of the progress of the colony up to the Jubilee year.

On one of the basal stones is an inscription : — "

Erected by the Pioneers interested in
the Temuka District Prior to the
flood of 1868, in commemoration of
the 60th year of reign of her
most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria,
June 22nd 1897.

Messrs Jas. Blyth, Chairman
J. Ackroyd, J. Austin, E.H. Brewer, A.L. Barker
S. Cain, A. Clyne, P. Coira, C. Mc S. Gentlemun
H. Goodeve, E. Lee, G. Levens, J. Maze
N.C. Nicholas, F. Oliver, T. Palmer, J.A. Young,

E. Benbow, Hon. Treasurer. A.W. Gaze Hon. Sec.

Timaru Herald, 2 November 1897, Page 2
Mr Partridge has shown us a handsome silver trowel made by him for the Temuka Pioneers' Memorial Committee, to be used on Thursday at the laying of the Memorial Stone in Victoria Park, by Mrs W. Hornbrook, the oldest of the Temuka pioneers. The blade of the trowel is of solid silver, with a handle of prettily mottled totara and silver cap. The blade is nicely engraved and ornamented, and altogether the trowel is a good piece of workmanship, completed on very short notice by Mr O.E. Partridge. It will be on view m his window to-day.

Timaru Herald, 2 November 1897, Page 2
Mr Partridge has shown us a handsome silver trowel made by him for the Temuka Pioneers' Memorial Committee, to be used on Thursday at the laying of the Memorial Stone in Victoria Park, by Mrs W, Hornbrook, the oldest of the Temuka pioneers. The blade of the trowel is of solid silver, with a handle of prettily mottled totara and silver cap. The blade is nicely engraved and ornamented, and altogether the trowel is a good piece of workmanship, completed on very short notice by Mr Partridge. It will be on view m his window to-day.

[Timaru Herald, 20 December 1897, Page 4]
The memorial obelisk erected in Victoria Park, Temuka, by the "old identities" of the district to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the early settlers, was unveiled on Thursday afternoon by Mrs James Blyth, the second oldest lady resident, Mrs Hornbrook, her one predecessor as a pioneer, having laid the foundation stone. There was not a large attendance at the ceremony. In the absence of Mr James Blyth, who was too ill to be present [James Blyth died at age 78, Oct. 30 1928, buried at Temuka], Mr P. Coira presided, and apologised for the absence of many pioneers who were away from the district. The Rev. George Barclay was the orator for the day, gave an interesting address. Mrs Blyth unveiled the memorial, and Mr F. W. Stubbs, the oldest identity present, then gave some reminiscences of the early days of South Canterbury, and was followed by Messrs Levens and E. Pilbrow, and others moved various votes of thanks. The obelisk is of Timaru bluestone on three steps of the same material. It is 18½ feet high, and was designed by Mr James Turnbull, architect, and worked and erected by Mr W. H. Cain.

Names and the Year of Arrival of the Pioneers in the Temuka District.
Rhodes W.B
Rhodes G.H
Rhodes R.H.

Hornbrook W.

Dunn T.
Oliver F.

Batterbee J.

Cox A.
Rayner T.O. M.D.
Wederell C.

Caffaney M.
Hayhurst J.
Hopkinson W.
Neal W.
Palmer T.
Tripp C.G.

Blyth J.
Chapman W.
Downes J.
Levens G.J.
Martin J.M.
Patterson J.
White T.
Young J.A.

Ackroyd J.E.
Hayhurst J.T.M.
Lewis J.
Meyers J. [Meyer]
Pilbrow E.
Pilbrow J.

Cliff G.
Hawke T.
Rippencale C. [Rippingale]
Taylor D.

Ackroyd W.
Findlay D.
Findlay J.

Flatman F.R.
Gladstone H.J. [H.G.]
Goodeve H.R.

McBratney J.
McLeod D.
McLeod J.
Mendelson J.
Paterson A.
Wallace J.

Benbow J.
Benbow W.
Bill J.
Buttler G.
Edwards T.
Ensor A.W.
Grant A.
Hobson T.
Maze J.
Morris I.L.
Sutherland A.
Thew R.
Turnbull R.

Brown J.
Cain S.
Cain J.
Clyne A.
Coira P.
Connelly T.
Cunningham D.
Edgar A.
Elkers H. [Elkis]
Fitzgerald J.
Fitzgerald W.
Hawke W.
Kelman A.
Kennedy W.
Langdridge J. [Langridge]
Martin B.
McQueen R.
Medlicott S.
Parke T.

Pye C.

Woodhead G. Jr.

Brosnahan J. Sr.
Mathews H.

 (Just the one panel)

West side. Photo taken by Margaret Todd, Aug. 2009

Wareing J D
Wells R P


Barclay Revd G
Barker R A
Barker A L
Brown E
Edgar R
Gentlemun G McS [ 1867]
Gibson A 1862
Lowe J
Robertson J

Binley J B
Bissett C
Brewer E H
Galbraith S
Galbraith A
Glasson J V
Hay J
Lee E

next column on tablet

Marshall J
McClintock J
Norton S
Seaton D
Shepherd C
Rayner C J
Waddell E
Whitehead J
Woodhead C
Woodhead J

Austin J
Kelland J
Irving R
Mathews O O
Nicholas N C
Trezise T H A
Walker W
Wood R

Stubbs E W [F.W.]

South side. Photo taken by Margaret Todd, Aug. 2009

East side. Photo taken by Margaret Todd, Aug. 2009


Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 918 Published 1903
AUSTIN, James, Farmer, Ohape, near Temuka. Mr Austin was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1837, and was brought up as a farmer by his father. He came to Lyttelton in 1864 by the ship "Zealandia," and after farming for three years at Selwyn, removed to Temuka in 1867 - just before the heavy flood in that district. Mr Austin has a number of farms, and in addition to cereal growing, is a breeder of sheep and cattle at one time he owned a stud of Clydesdale horses. He was married in the Old County and has eleven children.


Timaru Herald, 21 August 1900, Page 2
Mr Jonathan Batterbee, one of the earliest of South Canterbury settlers, and a well known resident at Temuka, was found dead in his bed on Sunday morning. Deceased had been ailing for some time, and latterly had been residing with his son-in-law, Mr James Findlay. Mr Batterbee will be remembered by earlier settlers as having at one time kept an accommodation house at the Hook, and as the proprietor of bullock teams engaged then on the track between Waimate and Timaru. He subsequently removed to the Temuka district, and engaged in ordinary colonial occupations. In his declining years he was a much respected employee of the Temuka Town Board, but latterly he has resided with his nearest relatives among whom he quietly passed away.

Jonathan (28) and Eliza Batterbee (29) arrived at Lyttelton in the Midlothian on 8 October 1851, sponsored by a Mr Black. He was a lamp lighter in later years and earlier owned a hotel at Hook Bush. He is buried in Temuka and listed under BATTERLY on the online database, plot 76 section B. Interred 21 Aug. 1900. His his wife had an Anglican burial service. No headstones. Many burials are missing from the records.


John Brosnahan (1941-1926) born in Co. Kerry, Ireland and arrived in the Echunga in 22 Dec. 1862.  On his arrival he followed various pursuits, and was well known as a carrier in the Mackenzie Country. In 1862 he started work in the Mackenzie County as a driver of a 6 horse wagon. In 1865 he married Miss Honora O'Driscoll, the two having been schoolmates in Ireland, and she had came to New Zealand in 1863 and owing to the meagre travelling, facilities in those days, the lady had to wait in Christchurch about eleven months before Mr Brosnahan could join her. In 1865 he bought 530 acres at The Levels. He farmed in The Levels until 1906 then retired to Temuka and lived at Wilken St. He was a director of the Timaru Milling Company Limited for 20 years and held 21 shares in the company. In his early days the deceased was a noted sportsman, and followed the hounds for years. The late Mr Brosnahan took a prominent hand in the carting of the stone from Kakahu used for the building of the Temuka Catholic Church, and has always been keenly interested in the welfare of the Church, both he and Mrs Brosnahan giving two of the windows which add to the beauty of the building. Had a family of 12. John died in Temuka 24 August 1926 aged 85. He was survived by his widow, five sons, five daughters, and two sisters. Buried in Temuka. Died aged 85.  Deceased is survived by ten children of the marriage — Messrs Patrick Brosnahan (Levels), James Brosnahan (Oamaru), Matthew Brosnahan (Levels), Michael Brosnahan (Christchurch), Thomas Brosnahan (Levels), and Mrs P. Hoare (Waimate), Mrs J. Moore (Ashburton), Mrs R. Connell (Ashburton), and Mrs Thompson (Temuka), and also two sisters, Mrs M. Gaffaney (Arowhenua) and Miss A. Brosnahan (Timaru). References: Macdonald Dictionary.  Obituary Otago Daily Times 27 August 1926 Page 10 and Temuka Leader 26 August 1926 Page 2.

His father was James Brosnahan and his sisters were Ann Brosnahan and Mrs M. Gaffaney (Arowhenua). His wife was Honora Brosnahan.  Mr and Mrs Brosnahan on their wedding day April 1862 walked over the Port Hills to catch a boat for Timaru. Thomas William Brosnahan born at Levels Plains got the farm at Levels Plain. John and Honora sons were Thomas William Brosnahan of  Levels Plains, farmer and Matthew Brosnahan of Seadown, farmer, born at Levels Plains, and John Joseph Brosnahan, and Patrick and Michael. Their daughters were Bridget Thomson, Nellie Moore, Mary Hoare (married Patrick Hoare of Railway Hotel, Amberley, at Temuka April 28th1896), Margaret Adams, Catherine O'Connell. Thomas John Brosnahan was a son of Thomas William Brosnahan and grandson to John Brosnahan. 

Star 15 November 1915 Page 7
A very pretty double wedding was celebrated in St Joseph's Church Temuka recently, when Miss Lily O'Neill, daughter of Mr E. F. O'Neill Kakahu Road, was married to Mr W M. Buckley, of Hilton, and her sister Miss Catherine O'Neill, was married to Mr T.W. Brosnahan, of the Levels and son of Mr John Brosnahan, of Temuka.

Children and Catherine Rebecca and Thomas William Brosnahan, late of Arowhenua, retired farmer in 1959:
Terence Dominic Brosnahan
Leo Patrick Brosnahan
Doreen Mary Brosnahan
Eileen Anne Barnes
Harold Francis Brosnahan (received the house at Wilkin St., Temuka)

John Brosnahan came out with his sister Margaret from Co. Kerry as full fare paying passengers on the Echunga. The Patrick Brosnahan on board also from Kerry Co. was not related. All three settled in the Levels Plains district. John had a nickname "Peg leg." John named his farm "Aghadoe" after is father's birthplace in Ireland in Co. Kerry. The rest of John's family came on out the barque "Rachel" arriving in March 1865. Also onboard was Tim and Mary Brosnahan and three children, not related but related to Patrick who was on the Echunga.

Temuka Cemetery
JAMES BROSNAN who died 23rd Sept 1890 Aged 76 Years
also ANN wife of the above died May 15th 1902 Aged 85 Years
also their daughter ANNIE died Dec 28 1944 Aged 89

John Joseph Brosnahan died March 2nd 1900 aged 15 Years
Also John Beloved Husband of Hanorah Brosnahan died Aug 24th 1926 Aged 85 Years
Also His Beloved Wife Hanorah died Nov 22nd 1928 Aged 86 Years
Also Leo Brosnahan Beloved Son of Patrick & Nora Brosnahan died June 16th 1917 Aged 17
Annie Kleim died in 1925 aged 56.

Timaru Herald 5 March 1900: Death on March 2nd 1900 at Railway Hotel, Amberley, John Joseph, youngest son of John Brosnahan, of Levels road, Arowhenua, aged 15 years. R.I.P.

Temuka Leader 24 June 1905 Page 4
At St. Joseph's Church, Temuka, on Wednesday, June 22nd, an exceedingly pretty wedding was witnessed by a gathering of relatives and friends of the contracting parties — Miss Brosnahan and Mr Moore. The bride, Miss Nellie Brosnahan, third daughter of Mr John Brosnahan, Arowhenua. The bridesmaids Misses Katie Brosnahan and Katie Moore. Mr J James Moore, third son of Mr Moore of Waitohi, was attended by his brother, Mr Jack Moore, and Mr Tom Brosnahan. As the bridal party left the church, the Wedding March was played by Miss Eileen Twomey. They than drove in a carriage, drawn by four white horses, to the residence of the bride's parents at Arowhenua, where a sumptuous breakfast was much enjoyed by about 200 guests.

Timaru Herald 15 April 1918 Page 2
Brosnahan, Daniel Joseph, Lance Corporal (J. Brosnahan, Levels, father).
Mr John Brosnahan, Levels, has received word that his son, Lance Corporal D. J. Brosnahan, has been wounded in Palestine.

Temuka Leader 24 November 1928 Page 3 Obituary MRS JOHN BROSNAHAN
Temuka Leader 27 November 1928 Page 3 Funeral
It is with, much regret that we record the death of Mrs John Brosnahan, which occurred at her late residence, Wilkin street, Temuka, on Wednesday. The late Mrs Brosnahan, who was 86 years of age, was born in County Kerry, Ireland. Prior to her marriage her maiden name was Miss H. O’Driscoll. She came to the Dominion in 1864, and approximately two years afterwards was married to the late Mr John Brosnahan. About this time the late Mr Brosnahan acquired a farm on the Levels Plains, which they continued to carry on with conspicuous success until 1906, when they retired to Temuka, where they took up permanent residence, and have remained ever since. The farm is still being carried on by two sons of the family — Messrs Thomas and Matthew Brosnahan. The deceased was an ardent church worker, and interested herself specially in the interests of St. Joseph’s Convent, Temuka. Deceased was of an hospitable nature, and kept open house for all travellers, no matter what their circumstances were. The deceased’s husband died two years ago, and there are ten surviving children, and five great-grand-children. The pallbearers were deceased’s four sons, Messrs Patrick, Matthew, Michael, and Thomas Brosnahan.

On Tuesday evening n very pleasant gathering took place at Mr John Brosnahan’s, Arowhenua, the occasion being a "send of’’ and presentation to Mr and Mrs Brosnahan, who after nearly 50 years’ residence on a farm at Arowhenua, were about to retire and live in Temuka. There was a large attendance, friends from all parts of the district coming to do honor to the guests of the evening. A splendid spread was provided, and the chair was occupied by Mr. W. Barry, on his right being the guests of the evening, Mr and Mrs John Brosnahan, and on his left Mr Jeremiah Brosnahan. After the toast of “The King had been loyally honored, the chairman proposed the toast of “Our Guests, Mr and Mrs Brosnahan,” who were leaving the Arowhenua district, although they were not going far away, though they were not going far away. Mr Brosnahan had practically finished his life’s work-having provided a farm for each of his live sons, and each of which farms would be good work for an average man to acquire in a lifetime—and was going to live in quiet retirement in Temuka. The toast was drunk with musical honors, and Mr Kelly having sung “The Mansion of Aching Hearts,” Mr Brosnahan responded, thanking his friends for their presence that evening, and the chairman for his kindly remarks. Mr Jeremiah Brosnahan proposed the toast of “The Old Identities,” coupling it with the names of Messrs John Fitzgerald and Matthew Driscoll. Song, Mr James Brosnahan, “The Old Rag Shop.” Mr John Fitzgerald said when his ship arrived in Timaru one of those on board exclaimed what fine wheat — alluding to the tussocks. They had not been long there before the Magistrate, Mr Woollcombe, came aboard and advised them to come ashore at Timaru, as it was a much bester place than Christchurch. He believed Mr Woollcombe was right, but he unfortunately went on to Christchurch. In those days they did not have wood or brick houses, but sod, and the roof was thatch, not iron, and they sewed it with flax. In some places after heavy rain they would see the gable end of their house fall in, but they put it right and battled on (Applause). Mr Driscoll said he was glad to see so many present to wish Mr and Mrs Brosnahan happiness. It was 40 years since he came to Levels plains, and Mr Brosnahan was there shortly before him. There was no Temuka then, and a man had to go a long way to get work. Mr Brosnahan settled down here and did well. In those days the rivers were unbridged, and it took a man about four days to go to Christchurch. In these days a young man if he wanted to go to the Exhibition or to Temuka jumped on to his bicycle and took the train to Christchurch and was soon there and back. In the old days Mr Brosnahan had to walk to Temuka, but nothing daunted him and other old settlers, and they had succeeded, he wished Mr and Mrs Brosnahan every success. (Applause). Mr Frank Connell having given a recitation, "Here’s Luck,” Mr Peter Gaffaney responded to the toast in fitting terms, and wished Mr and Mrs Brosnahan every success. Mr William Fitzgerald proposed “Agricultural and Pastoral Interests,” and-in doing so spoke of the ups and downs of farming life as regards prices. He wished Mr and Mrs Brosnahan long life and happiness. (Applause). Song, Mr Peter Gaffaney. Mr Daniel Angland responded to the toast in some lengthy, remarks. The agricultural and pastoral interests were the mainstay of New Zealand, and it was because they were getting as much as possible out of the land, that made them looked up to by other States. Sheep were a good price, and this was well, but he was afraid the grain industry would be knocked on the head shortly owing to the labor laws. If things went on much further he thought they would have to call on the old identities again. (Laughter). It was hard work, industry, thrift, and honesty, that put Mr Brosnahan in the position he is in to-day. (Applause).
    Mr John Fitzgerald said he had much pleasure on behalf of many friends in presenting Mr and Mrs Brosnahan with the handsome and valuable sideboard that stood in the adjoining room. He knew them before they came to New Zealand, and was shipmates with them. They were at Arowhenua before him. They were always good neighbors and ever ready with good advice and assistance. Mr Brosnahan and his sister, Mrs Gaffaney, were the first of the settlers, and it was no doubt owing to their letters home that so many came here from the old land, and when they arrived they had his advice and help. He never shut the door on any man. He had much pleasure on behalf of their friends in making the presentation to Mr and Mrs Brosnahan, and wished them all future happiness.
    Mr Jere. Brosnahan said he had lived close to Mr and Mrs Brosnahan or about 35 or 40 years, and had revived much kindness from them. When he was ill they had been particularly find, and Mrs Brosnahan had gone and lived with his wife for a couple if months while he was in the hospital, and he would never forget it. Mr John Connell said he met Mr Brosnahan the day he landed, 41 years ago, in Timaru. He had been a friend of himself and his wife and children, and he could never forget it. Song, Mr B. Hoare, “It’s hard to say Farewell.” Mr Brosnahan thanked them very much for their present. On the sideboard, which is a very handsome piece of furniture, is a silver plate bearing the following inscription —“Presented to Mr and Mrs John Brosnahan, by many friends and neighbors and old identities.” Other toasts honored were "Local Bodies” (proposed by Mr Angland and responded to by the chairman) ; “The Single Ladies” (proposed by Mr Frank Connell and responded to by Mr Matt. Brosnahan) ; “The Married Ladies ’ (proposed by Mr Pat. Hoare and responded to by Mr P. Mitten) ; “ Mr and Mrs Tom Brosnahan, the next occupiers of the Farm” (proposed by Mr D. Angland, and responded to in the absence of Mr T. Brosnahan by Messrs Matthew and Michael Brosnahan) ; Mr Matthew Brosnahan” ; " The Press ” (proposed by Mr F. Connell and responded to by Mr Bambridge, Temuka Leader) ; “The Misses D. and K. Brosnahan” (proposed by Mr Jere. Brosnahan, and responded to by Mr Thomson) ; ‘‘The Chairman” (proposed by Mr Jere. Brosnahan, and responded to by the chairman). Songs were sung by Mr Dan. Angland (“Rolling Home to Dear Old Ireland”), Mr John Spillane ("Trying so hard to Forget”), Mr Pat. Hoare (“The Green Fields of New Zealand”), Mr Michael Brosnahan, Mr Sam Coughlan (“My Irish Molly”), and others. The speeches and songs were good, and a very pleasant time was spent until about 11.30, when “Auld Lang Syne” brought the proceedings to a close. A great deal of credit is due to Miami Mrs Jere. Brosnahan for the trouble they took in making the arrangements for the presentation and sendoff. 

John Brosnahan and Hannah Driscole [O’Driscoll], 31 March 1865, Catholic Church, Christchurch

Temuka Leader 18 April 1925 Page 2 DIAMOND WEDDING.
Last Tuesday, Mr and Mrs John Brosnahan (Wilkin Street, Temuka) celebrated their diamond wedding. At ten o’clock a Mass of thanksgiving was said at St. Joseph’s Church by Rev. Father Maloney, assisted by Rev. Father Fraer and Rev. Father Bartlay, when all the family of Mr and Mrs Brosnahan, as well as many old friends, were present. As the old couple entered the Church the Bridal March was played, and during the service, Miss Eileen Twomey rendered occasional music, and Miss Lilian McDonald sang “Ave Maria” with great devotion. The Wedding March was also played as Mr and Mrs Brosnahan left the Church. The wedding breakfast was held at the residence of Mr and Mrs J. Brosnahan, where their sons and daughters and grand children assembled to do honour to their parents and grandparents. Mr and Mrs Brosnahan, who on their wedding day sixty years ago, walked over the Port Hills to catch a boat for Timaru, are looking hale and hearty. They received many presents to commemorate the occasion, as well as a number of messages of congratulation.


John DOWNES and wife, Sarah BATTERSBY (not to be confused with BATTERBEE above, no connection or spelling error) came to Lyttelton on Zealandia 1858 [passenger list page 4, col.b] [another list] from Worksop, Nottinghamshire. The family spent time in Temuka before shifting to Cave but I'm unable to establish what he did in Temuka but he worked on a farm at Cave before he died. He is buried at Pleasant Point cemetery. I know he lived in Arowhenua when arriving from Lyttelton with his family on a dray. He had a small son John 5 years (later buried at Pleasant Point with his father). Their daughter Mary died on the board ship. The John DOWNES buried in Temuka is John Sr's grandson. He was the eldest son, and brother Cornelius Francis DOWNES who was a saddler in Temuka until he retired. Folklore says John died from a sheep disease at 15 years old and presume this may have been hydatids. Sarah BATTERSBY, his grandmother, is buried with him as well as two babies. There is no headstone. Information courtesy of Margaret Todd, posted 19 Sept. 2009


Press, 24 July 1922, Page 9 Mr A.W. ENSOR
One of the early settlers of South Canterbury, Mr Alfred William Ensor, died on Thursday last [20th July 1922, aged 78], at Temuka, after a brief illness. He was born in 1843, being the third son of the Rev. Edmund Ensor, Vicar of Rollesby, in Norfolk. His mother, nee Pointen-Thomspson, was a sister of Lady Canterbury, whose husband, Lord Canterbury, was some time Governor of Queensland. The late Mr Ensor, with two brothers, Edmund and Charles, were educated at Marlborough College. He came to New Zealand by the barque Mersey, landing at Lyttelton in September, 1861. After spending about a year as a cadet on a sheep station, he joined his brother Charles in South Canterbury and with him, took up a up a run, called Rollesby, near Burke's Pass. In 1866, the early days the West Coast diggings, Mr Ensor ran a big undertaking, supplying the West Coast diggers with fat cattle, being practically the sole buyer of fat cattle in South Canterbury. In this Mr Ensor experienced, the hardships and excitements of pioneering, fording flooded rivers and crossing fry mountain passes, as his contact, was to supply the West Coast market every Tuesday, wet or fine. For some time, until the inception of freezing works in Canterbury, Mr Ensor was in partnership with Mr Charles M. Smith in cattle and sheep business at Milford, near Temuka. In 1872 Mr Ensor married Miss Augusta Harte, who died in 1894 [2 Feb. aged 39]. During a residence at Orari and Winchester Mr Ensor did his full share of public service. For, many years he was a lay preacher and vestryman of St. John's church, Winchester, also chairman of school committees at Winchester and Orari, a member of the old Temuka Board, and for many years member of the local A. and P. association. He leaves three sons, Messrs Edmund Ensor (principal X-ray expert in Pretoria Hospital), Leonard Ensor of Pendle Hill, and Charles Ensor, North Island and three daughters Mrs C. Blathwayt (Winchester). Mrs S. Pemberton (Clandeboye) [Laura A.M. Pemberton died 3rd April 1960 aged 74], and Mrs William Eichbaum (Timaru). The funeral took place on Saturday last, the burial service at St. John's Church, Winchester, and the Temuka cemetery being read by the vicar of the parish.


Press, 30 July 1927, Page 6 James FINDLAY
The death occurred at Spreydon on Thursday or a pioneer of the Temuka district in the person of Mr Findlay. The late Mr Findlay was born in Scotland 77 years ago, and with his father, came to New Zealand by the ship Mermaid in 1862, landing at Lyttelton. They immediately came to Temuka and settled, When in his prime, the late Mr Findlay took an active part in the affairs of the town, and was a member of the Town before Temuka became a borough. He joined the Volunteers in 1869, and held the commission of lieutenant from 1874 until his retirement in 1896, when he was placed on the honorary unattached list. He was an enthusiastic Mason, being one of the very early, if not one of the foundation members of Lodge St. George, rising to the position of W.M. He married Miss Mary Batterby, a daughter of the late Mr John Batterby, of Temuka, in 1874. He is survived by a widow and two children - Mrs E. L. Scott Spreydon), and Mr Albert Findlay (Temuka). His oldest son, James, died about a few ago.


George McSheehy Gentlemun died May 12 1914 age 77 years
Maurice McSheehy Gentlemun is buried at Temuka age 90. Died July 26th 1929

Evening Post, 19 May 1914, Page 3
The late George M'Sheehy Gentlemun, of Temuka, left £3350 to charitable objects, £1000 of it for the Catholic school in Temuka, £700 for the Society of Mary, £300 each for the Mount Magdala and Nazareth Homes and the Catholic Cathedral, Christchurch, and the Catholic Church, Temuka, and smaller sums for other similar objects.

Poverty Bay Herald, 8 October 1914, Page 7
During September, 242 deceased persons' estates were finally certified for stamp duty. George Mc-Sheehy Gentlemun £7863


Otago Daily Times 21 June 1919, Page 10
On Saturday there passed away at Hilton, a South Canterbury pioneer in the person of Mr John Kelland. Mr Kelland was born in Devonshire in 1840. He came to New Zealand by the ship British Empire in 1864, landing at Lyttelton. He first went on to a station in the Ashburton district, now known as the Springfield estate, and remained there for two years. From Ashburton he went to Timaru, and spent some time on his late father's farm at Gleniti. Subsequently he bought a farm at Kakahu. He was there during the flood of 1868, and eventually sold out to his brother William. From Kakahu Mr Kelland went to Smithfield, where he remained for seven years, after which he acquired a sheep and grain-growing farm at Temuka known as Puke Mara, and remained there till failing health compelled him to go to Timaru and retire. He also owned the Woodside estate at Geraldine at one time. Mr Kelland was for 23- years a member of the Geraldine Road Board, and in 1893 was chairman of that body. He was at one time a director of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, a member of the Timaru Harbour Board of the Winchester and Hilton School Committee, and for many years was a vestryman of the Geraldine Anglican Church. He married Miss Poole, of Devonshire, who predeceased him four years ago. Ho leaves a grown up family of six daughters and two sons.


Star, 23 August 1909, Page 3 MR JOHN LANGRIDGE
Another old colonist has gone to rest in the person of John Langridge, late of Waitohi, Temuka. He died at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr W. J. Dennis, of Christchurch, on Sunday, August 22. Mr Langridge was born in 1834, at Sussex, England, where he served an apprenticeship to the building trade. He and his late wife came to New Zealand in 1858 by the ship Indiana. They landed at Lyttelton and he followed his trade in Christchurch for eight years. He then removed to Temuka, where he took up land, carrying on building and farming jointly for many years. He leaves a grown-up family of six sons and three daughters. [He is buried at Temuka with his wife Esther]


Timaru Courier Jul 18, 2013 By Guy WILLIAMS
Protection sought for blue gum that marks location of first settlers’ house in Temuka. Aussie giant part of history.
A TEMUKA woman is seeking Historic Places Trust protection for a blue gum tree in time for the 150th anniversary of its planting. Winsome Davey wants to raise awareness of the tree to enlist public support and to strengthen her application. The blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus) stands by a stopbank of the Temuka River on a private title near the corner of Lachlan and Grant sts. Now 35m tall and measuring 8.4m around its base, it was planted in 1859 by George Levens, the first man to build a permanent dwelling in Temuka. An assisted emigrant from England, Mr Levens had arrived in Lyttelton the previous year. The tree grew from a seedling he propagated from seeds he was given by a visitor, who had picked them up off the ground in Cooper’s Creek, about 640km from Sydney, and had carried them over in his vest pocket. Mr Levens died in 1935 at the age of 96. Mrs Davey said the tree was already listed on Timaru District Council’s Schedule of Significant Trees. However, she believed the tree’s age and historic status warranted a higher level of protection. She also planned to seek council funds to establish a signposted track from King St (State Highway 1) and an information board. She hoped these could be completed next year — the 150th anniversary of the tree’s planting. Mrs Davey said the tree used to be easily accessible by a track across a paddock at the corner of Lachlan and Grant Sts. She had mistakenly believed the track was a gazetted road until three years ago, when a house was built across it. The house’s owners had been surprised to learn that their house had blocked the path and supported having a new public path to the tree constructed across their property, Mrs Davey said. In 1956 a plaque was placed at the foot of the tree to commemorate its link with Temuka’s pioneers. It reads: ‘‘This marks the spot where the first settlers of Temuka built their house in 1860. The seed of this tree, the earliest known blue gum in South Canterbury, was planted in 1859 by George Levens.’’ The tree has even been the subject of a poem. Written by the late Ethel Pemberton, a long-time Temuka resident, it is entitled Mr Levens’ Big Tree and was published in a local paper 20 years ago.
Picture: 150-year-old giant: The 35m blue gum towers over the banks of the Temuka River.
Picture Living monument: Winsome Davey (right) with ancestors of George Levens (from left), granddaughter Daphne Pollard, her son Pierre Pollard and sister Miriam Cooper, in front of the blue gum he planted in Temuka in 1859.

NZ Truth 16 May 1929, Page 6 STILL GOING STRONG
GEORGE LEVENS, eighty eight years of age, "chained" the village with surveyor Hewlings, seventy years ago. Builder of the first house in Temuka, wagoner of wood to Timaru when there were only a few cottages there, breaker of horses and mules for Messrs. Tripp and Acland, drover over sundry passes to the West Coast with cattle and also to the Shotover. And he is still going strong.  [George Joseph Levens died in 1935, aged  95] 

Mr George Levens (arrived at Lyttelton in ship “Indiana” 1858) Levens, George Joseph 95 Years 22 Nov 1935 - Temuka Cemetery. Married Annie Walker in 1878.
Mrs Geo. Levens (arrived at Lyttelton in ship “St. Lawrence” 1873). Levens, Annie 79 Years 1 Aug 1938 - Temuka Cemetery

Press, 22 November 1935, Page 17
MR G. J. LEVENS, TEMUKA, November 21. The death occurred at the home of his son-in-law, Mr A. G. Stokes, Temuka, yesterday, of Mr George Joseph Levens, at the age of 96 years. Mr Levens was born at Hastings, England, in 1839, and in his early life was employed in a factory at Battersea, London, packing fuel, for use in the Crimean war. In 1858, he came to New Zealand in the sailing barque Indiana, which carried between 400 and 500 passengers. The immigrants were landed at Lyttelton, where they spent the first night in the old immigration barracks. The following day Mr Levens with several other young men and women walked over the Port Hills to Christchurch, where he accepted employment with Mr William Neale, who was farming at Riccarton. Some time after, Mr Neale resolved to remove south, and Mr Levens went with him, Mr Neale taking up 50 acres of land in the Temuka district. Survey pegs were difficult to find in those days, but with the assistance of Mr Hewlings, the Government surveyor, they were found, and Mr Levens, who had a knowledge of carpentering, built the first house in the Temuka district, a strange coincidence being that his death occurred within a short distance of the site on which the house was built. Under Mr Neale he rapidly improved his knowledge of farming and was a successful competitor at ploughing matches which were held on the site where the Temuka railway station now stands. After his employer removed to Waimate, Mr Levens acquired a property for himself, which he farmed for some years, selling out later to Mr William Lyon. In 1878 he married Miss Annie Walker, of Timaru, and settled down in Temuka in a veterinary practice until he retired more than 30 years ago. He was a lover of music and an accomplished musician. For many years he was a member of the Temuka School Committee, and was given the honour of planting the jubilee tree at the celebrations 18 months ago. In the early days of the settlement Mr Levens was a keen cricketer, but of late years he was one of the most familiar figures on the bowling green, being an active player up to the end of season. A few seasons ago he attended the South Island elderly bowlers' met at Dunedin, and at the South Canterbury veterans' annual tournament he was one of the successful competitors. Mr Levens is survived by his wife four sons, and three daughters. One son died at the war.


Press, 9 December 1922, Page 3
One of the old settler of South Canterbury Mr Bartholomew Martin, widely known as "Bartley," died recently at Temuka at the advanced age of 90 years. He came from County Galway, Ireland, to New Zealand more than 60 years ago, settling first at Ashburton. Just before the big flood of 1868 he removed to Temuka, acquiring a farm at Milford. Subsequently he bought farms near Winchester and at Morven. Ten years ago he retired and bought a home at Temuka. He used to take a keen interest in politics and was a well known character at election meetings in the "good old days." He was a keen supporter of football, and when in good health was rarely absent from a local match. The service at St. Joseph's Church and at the Temuka Cemetery was read by the Rev. Dr. Kenedy.

Timaru Herald, 11 May 1917, Page 2
A Strathallan Pioneer. Mr J. M. Martin, a South Canterbury pioneer, died at his residence on Wednesday, at the age of 80 years. The late Mr Martin was born in Scotland in 1863. The arrived in the Dominion at Timaru in the ship Strathallan in 1859. He went to work in the Arowhenua bush, near the present Maori Pa, and then went into partnership with Mr J. Ackroyd in a carrying business, with bullock teams and drays. After a time he married, and started in the storekeeping line at Arowhenua, out soon afterwards he moved to the Temuka, side of the river and opened a store there. Then the flood of 1868 occurred, bringing disaster to many of the early settlers. Among the sufferers were Mr Martin and family. Three members of the household were drowned — two of Mr and Mrs Martin's children and Mrs Martin's father, Mr Duff. Undaunted, the late Mr Martin built the well known stone store in Temuka where he carried on business successfully until his health failed. He then lived in Christchurch for some years, but returned to Temuka about fifteen years ago, where he has lived a quiet retired life. His wife died a few years ago. He had eight children, six sons and two daughters. Both daughters and three sons have predeceased him, and three sons John and Arthur (Christchurch, and Eustace (Auckland) survive him.

Margaret Duff married John McRitchie Martin in 1861
1866 Martin Peter
1868 Martin Robert Kennedy
1869 Martin Peter
1871 Martin Arthur Fitzroy
1873 Martin Eustace Lionel
1875 Martin Hilda Mabel


William Neal of Spring Farm, Temuka
The major source of water for Coopers Creek is a group of three springs located at Spring Farm about 1.5km northwest from the junction of Silverton Road and SH72. These springs sustain flow in the creek to just beyond Pit Road, about 2.5km downstream.

Timaru Herald 1879
NEAL - At Temuka, on the 3rd February, William Neal, of bronchitis, aged 67 years. [Buried at the Temuka Cemetery, no headstone]

An inconspicuous ancestor 2012 Erber, Mhairi, b 1939
William Neal, aged 38, along with his wife Mary, aged 39, and their three children, Joseph, aged 1, Rosana aged 11, Emma aged 9, sailed from England to New Zealand on the ship the "Duke of Portland" in 1851. William became one of the first people to buy land in the Temuka area of South Canterbury. George Levens was engaged in general farm work with the Neal family for ten years before he went out on his own. Emma married David Pollard in 1858.


Timaru Herald, 18 September 1886, Page 3
Mr John Paterson died on Thursday morning at his residence, Springfield, near Temuka, at the ago of forty years. By his death South Canterbury has lost another representative of her oldest families. A native of the colony, though comparatively a young man, Mr Paterson had long unobtrusively used his influence for the welfare of the whole district. His father, the late Alexander Paterson, was one of the pioneer settlers of Nelson, he having landed there upwards of forty years ago. There several of his children, including him who has just died, were born. Twenty years ago Mr A. Paterson, with his family, removed to South Canterbury, and for a time occupied a house m Timaru, on whoso site the Old Bank Hotel now stands. Soon after coming south, Mr Paterson took up a station in the Mackenzie Country, and shortly afterwards acquired two farms in the Temuka district, one at Winchester, one nearer Temuka town. Mr Alex. Paterson was also the first sheep inspector for South Canterbury, and for some years fulfilled the onerous duties attendant on that office with earnestness and success. At his death, some fifteen years ago, his sons took charge of his estates. Mr James Paterson assuming the care of the Winchester farm, Mr John, that of the Springfield estate. Since arriving at years of manhood, the subject of this notice has always evinced a deep interest in thee welfare of the district m which his lot was cast. Chiefly to him Temuka is indebted for her splendid domain and park. Ho also worked hard and successfully on behalf of the local Pastoral and Agricultural Society, and was sparing neither of time nor money in aiding any enterprise likely to benefit the neighbourhood. Personally, Mr John Pater son was a man whom to know was to esteem. Naturally of a retiring disposition, his name did not often come prominently before the public, but in the circle of his intimate friends few were more highly appreciated or thoroughly loved than he. When any good was to be done, or any charity to be bestowed, none was more ready to answer the call than John Paterson. His genial presence and firm friendship will long be missed m and around Temuka. Mr Paterson's death was rather sudden. So late as Monday last ho was out, but he was then suffering from a severe cold caught some days previously. The disorder rapidly assumed laborious phase, and about nine o'clock yesterday morning he expired. The funeral will take place on Monday next.


Auckland Star, 11 August 1922, Page 6
An old colonist. Mr. Charles James Rayner, died yesterday at his residence in Victoria Avenue, Remuera, aged 85 years. Deceased was a native of Gloucester, England, and arrived in New Zealand in 1864, landing at Lyttelton. A little later he settled at Temuka, where he served on the school committee. He was also one of the hon., secretaries of the South Canterbury Protection League, which was instrumental in the formation of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works. Mr. Rayner also was a member and secretary to the Temuka Park Commissioners. In 1883 deceased removed to Stoke, where he was elected a member of the Diocesan Synod of Nelson. Fifteen years ago Mr. Rayner removed to Auckland. He is survived by three sons, Messrs. C. E. and L. T. Rayner. of Sydney, Mr. W. M. Rayner, Auckland, and one daughter, Mrs. A. R. Holloway, of Remuera.

New Zealand Herald, 11 August 1922, Page 8
DEATH OF OLD COLONISTS, Mr. C. J. RAYNER. The death occurred yesterday at residence 12, Victoria Avenue, Remuera of Charles James Rayner, a colonist of many years' standing, at the age of 86. Mr. Rayner was born in 1838 in Gloucester, England. His father for many years held the position of collector of inland revenue. In 1864, Mr Rayner came to New Zealand, landing at Lyttelton. Shortly afterwards he settled at Temuka, being one of the pioneers of that district. During 25 years' residence at Temuka Mr. Rayner served on the old school board, and was one of the honorary secretaries of the South Canterbury Protection League, which resulted in the formation of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, which was an important body in those times. He was also one of the first Temuka Park commissioners, and hon. secretary of that body. Mr. Rayner was always interested in church matters, and was a churchwarden for many years. In 1893 he moved to Stoke and was a member of the Diocesan Synod of Nelson, until he came to Auckland 15 years ago. Mr. Rayner is survived by three sons, Messrs. C. E. and LT. Rayner, of Sydney, and Mr, W. M. Rayner, of Auckland, and one daughter, Mrs. A. R. Holloway, of Remuera. The interment will take place at Purewa cemetery to-day


Timaru Herald, 11 October 1920, Page 2
One of the pioneers of South Canterbury (Mr Charles Rippingale, senr.) passed away at the residence, of his daughter (Mrs W. Howell, Temuka) on Tuesday last, at the age of 85 years, after a long and painful illness. He never took any part in public affairs, but as one of the early settlers lie did his share of the pioneer work of the country in reading and bringing ii under cultivation. He came out in 1864. when 21 years of age, in the Sir Edward Paget, landing at Lyttelton. He worked m Christchurch for a. time, and while there was married to Miss Mary Woodhead, daughter of the late George Woodhead, senr. of Milford. He then came to South Canterbury with Mr Hewlings's survey party. He was farming for a time at Lower Hook, near Waimate, but was burnt out, and lost everything. He removed to Waimate, and worked there until 21 years ago, when he went to live with his daughter (Mrs Holwell) in Temuka. His wife, died some years ago. He leaves five sons and one daughter.

Charles Rippingale married Mary Woodhead in 1863.
1863 Rippingale George Blanchard
1865 Rippingale John Blanchard
1871 Rippingale Harriet Maude
1874 Rippingale Joseph Woodhead
1880 Rippingale William Henry


Francis Worcester Stubbs is buried at Temuka. Died 21 April 1920
Poverty Bay Herald, 22 April 1920, Page 2
Timaru, last night. Mr. Frank Worcester Stubbs, the oldest inhabitant of South Canterbury; died at Geraldine to-day, at the age 85 years. He was born in Coventry, and came to Lyttelton in the Samarang in 1852.

Timaru, 21st April There died at Geraldine this morning, aged 85, Francis Worcester Stubbs, the oldest white inhabitant of South Canterbury. He was a native of Coventry. He came to Lyttelton in the Samarang in 1852, and assisted in bringing the first cattle to South Canterbury (The Levels) for Rhodes Bros, in the same year. At that time the track followed adhered to the coast, and wild dogs were met with near Ashburton. He saw the first small house erected in Timaru, and a few earlier comers (the sheepmen) lodging in old Maori huts of grass. Mr. Stubbs remained in the employ of Rhodes Bros, between four and five years, and then managed the Pareora station for Harris and Innes for six years. Subsequently he started the first auctioneering-business in Timaru. In 1880 on the formation of the Geraldine County he was appointed clerk, and held that position till he retired six or eight years ago. He was secretary of the South Canterbury A. and P. Association, and was for many years a member of the Timaru Road Board. He held the rank of lieutenant, in the Artillery Volunteers, and was a member of the Masonic body. He was an excellent officer of the county, and highly esteemed by all. He married a Victorian lady (Miss Crawley), and had a family of six sons and three daughters. Mr. Stubbs had a wealth of memories of the early days, and enjoyed relating his experiences.

Timaru Herald, 30 December 1918, Page 4 Alfred Crawley Stubbs
The sudden and unexpected death occurred late on Thursday afternoon at his residence, Tyne Street, Oamaru, of Mr A. C. Stubbs, manager of the Union Bank of Australia. The deceased gentleman had been laid aside for some live weeks past with pneumonia. The late, Mr Stubbs, who was a son of Mr F W. Stubbs, of Geraldine, was born at Timaru fifty years ago and received his education at the Timaru Boys' High School. On completing his school term he entered the service of the Union Bank, and had been a faithful servant there for a period of 33 years. During those years the deceased had been stationed all Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, and Timaru, and for the last eight years had been manager of the Oamaru branch. Mr Stubbs had a wide circle of friends, and much sympathy will be felt with Mrs Stubbs in the sudden loss of her life partner.

Timaru Herald, 15 May 1915, Page 3 GOLDEN WEDDING.
On Tuesday last, Mr and Mrs F. W. Stubbs, Geraldine, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding, which took place in Timaru in 1865. Besides five sons, two daughters, and a couple of grand children, they entertained about two hundred guests in the Geraldine parish hall. With one exception, Mr Stubbs is the oldest living representative of the early band of settlers who first came to South Canterbury, Mr John .Deans, the one exception, was unfortunately unable to be present. Speeches were made by Mr Knubley, Dr. Hishop, the Rev. Canon Hamilton, Mr F. Stubbs, and ethers, and many congratulatory telegrams received from far and near.

Timaru Herald, 11 June 1914, Page 5
When the "Herald"' first appeared, Timaru was a sturdy hamlet. It was not yet even officially a town. In 1852 Mr. F. ,W. Stubbs, still resident at Geraldine, assisted to bring twenty-eight head of cattle from Banks Peninsula for the Rhodes Bros: Later £300 was paid by Messrs Rhodes for the purchase of 600 acres at Timaru, and when new land laws were made, in 1855 they acquired leases of 150,000 acres between the Opihi and Pareora, the sea and Albury, divided into three runs. At the same time Mr James King; a relative of the Rhodes family established himself on a fourth run, known as the Level's. Others followed their example, and there was soon a great rush for runs, South Canterbury, right up to the Mackenzie Country, being divided in huge leasehold blocks in this manner.


Timaru Herald, 21 September 1918, Page 2
MR PHILIP WAREING. Quite a gloom was cast over Temuka yesterday when it became known that Mr Philip Wareing, of "Fair View" farm, Milford, had passed away in his sleep on Thursday night, or in an early hours of yesterday morning. The deceased had not enjoyed good health for some few years past, suffering from an affection of the heart. A man of jovial disposition and of vigorous personality, he had a host of friends in both North and South Canterbury. When he first settled at Temuka it was as a draper, but after carrying on this business successfully for some few years, he leased about 500 acres of land and subsequently bought the same area in the Milford district. He was a very successful farmer, taking a special interest in stock. He took a great pride in his light horses and always kept one or two good ones even after he took to driving a motor car. With his horses he took many prizes in the show ring. He was an enthusiastic member of the Temuka A. auld P. Association of which he was president for a term and also of the Timaru A. and P. Association. A few years ago he sub-divided his farm and sold it retaining the homestead and a small area where he has since resided in retirement. The deceased is survived by a widow and a large family of grownup sons and daughters, some of the sons being settled on farms of their own in various parts of the district, while others are at the front.

Press, 17 March 1911, Page 9
There were other early settlers whose names are not in the list, probably through the difficulty of obtaining the date of their arrival Messrs Archie McKinley, T. Hammond. M. Riley, D. Fergusson, sen., B. Gibson, the Popplewells, Wyatt, Peryman Massey, W. Begis, W. Bennett, and Martin Connolly were among the men who were first working in the Arowhenua bush, or connected with the first settlement. The first store at the Arowhenua bush, or Georgetown, was carried on by Mr A. McKinley, then by Messrs Dyson and Wood. The latter went Home, and on his return voyage was drowned in the wreck of the London. Mr J. A. Young was also associated with the business. Mr J.M. Martin also had a store in the bush. Mr Fergusson was the first schoolmaster.

Timaru Herald, 11 October 1920, Page 2
Another of the fast-diminishing band of pioneers— Mr Martin Connolly, of Georgetown, Temuka died at his residence on Thursday last, after a very short illness, in his eighty-fifth year. The late Mr Connolly was born in County Sligo, Ireland. He went to sea when a boy of 12, and arrived in New Zealand 64 years ago, when a young man of 21. He became an expert bullock driver, and was one of the first to take a bullock dray into the Mackenzie Country with station stores, returning to Timaru with wool - no small feat, for in those days there were no roads or bridges. After driving on the roads for some years be started farming at Georgetown, where he resided until his death. He was a vigorous, healthy man, liked and respected by all who knew him. He was only taken ill a fortnight ago, and he passed away peacefully. He leaves a widow and family of four sons and five daughters. Three of the latter have entered convents.

Timaru Herald, 30 January 1869, Page 2
My attention is directed to and interesting account in yesterdays "Herald" of a pig, which was very successfully trained to act as a pointer. But this was an English pig, and I am sorry to say that the pigs of this town have not had much pains bestowed on their education, as, when they are turned loose, which is there usual condition, the height of their ambition seems to be to get into the gardens and do what damage they can there.

The Royal Hotel here has changed hands, the purchaser being Mr George Dyson, formerly of the Crown Hotel, who intends to carry on the business himself. In what line Mr Young intends to invest the fortune he has doubtless acquired in the house, or whether he proposes to enjoy his oliun cum dignitate, free from the cares and risks of business, I am not informed. Judging from appearances, it would seem that there is something either very pleasant or very lucrative in the hotel business, as it is almost universally the case that those who have once been engaged in it never seem to take so well to any other calling. Let us wish Mr Dyson all success in his new undertaking, of which there is little doubt, as he is held in universal esteem.

The Park, Temuka  Muir & Moodie

In June 2017 the Early Settlers Memorial was relocated from storage, previously it was at the northern end of the oval, to the site of the former Temuka Domain caretaker's cottage which was demolished in 2011 after it sustained earthquake damage. The small memorial to Queen Victoria which had always been at the house site was moved to a more prominent site at the house site. Development of the house site as a formal garden centred around the two relocated memorials was budgeted at $250,000.

South Canterbury, New ZealandGenWeb Project