Timaru Herald, 6 July 1897, Page 4 THE TEMUKA
A meeting of the Temuka Pioneers was held on Saturday evening in the Town Board Office, Temuka. Present— Messrs James Blyth (chairman), P. Coira, E H Brewer, D. Bradford, G. Levens, F. Oliver, H. Goodeve, T. Palmer, R. Edgar, J. Marshall, J. Whitehead, J. Findlay, A. Clyne, E. Pilbrow and A, Gaze (hon. sec). The chairman said that the memorial project had been taken up most enthusiastically and it was evident that interest was widespread. Several questions had cropped up as to qualification, amount of subscription, etc., and he hoped that those present would fully discuss the position before arrangements were handed over to the committee, The report of last meeting was read, also letters from Miss Hornbrook asking for information as to qualification ; from Mr Flatman jun., apologising for his father not having replied to a previous letter. His father was absent in the North Island, but he could vouch that he would sympathise with the movement. Messrs Duncan and Cotterill wrote on behalf of the Hewlings Trust. Mr A. Edgar, Rangitata, claimed, the qualification as a settler from 1866 and promised his support. Mr B. Martin (Glenavy) thanked the committee for calling his attention to the project, and promised it his support. Several verbal promises had been received by the secretary and members. In reply to questions, the chairman stated that the original proposal had expanded considerably, and it was evident the old hands desired to carry on the idea in a handsome way. After some conversational discussion it was resolved on the motion of Mr Edgar, seconded by Mr Goodeve - "That the lowest subscription to entitle a pioneer to have his name recorded on the memorial be £11s." It was agreed that widows of pioneers be allowed to represent them, but not to record the name of colonial born children as pioneers. The Temuka district was defined as the road Board district in 1863. Mr William Beattie was appointed to arrange with the old settlers in his district, and his name was added to the committee. Several minor matters were dealt with, and the meeting adjourned until Saturday next.
Pioneer Obelisk, Domain, Temuka
Foundation stone laid by Mrs Hornbrook, November, 1897, obelisk unveiled, 16th Dec. 1897.
Erected by the pioneers interested in the Temuka
District, in commemoration of the 60th year of the reign of her
most gracious majesty Queen Victoria June 22nd 1897.
Timaru Herald, 6 November 1897, Page 3
TEMUKA PIONEERS' MEMORIAL.
The foundation stone of the Temuka pioneers' memorial obelisk was laid in the Victoria Park, Temuka, on Thursday afternoon by Mrs Hornbrook, of Seadown, the widow of the late W. Hornbrook, one of the earliest of the Temuka settlers. The arrangements made by the committee were very complete, and those of Mr Cain, the contractor for the obelisk, were satisfactory in every respect. The site is near the entrance to the recreation ground and in full view of High street. At the hour appointed between three and four hundred persons were present, exclusive of the cricketers, cyclists, and other friends who were using the grounds. Among the visitors were to be seen settlers of many years standing, and also their representatives, some of whom had come considerable distances. The subscribers to the memorial and visitors were grouped as conveniently as could be arranged around the base of the obelisk, already in position, and photographed by Mr J. T. M. Hayhurst and Mr E. Cutten, who very kindly undertook the task. Mr James Blyth, chairman of the committee, then gave a brief account of the origin of the movement, and a very graphic description of the progress of Temuka from the days when he first knew it, many years before the flood of '65. His description of pioneer life was endorsed by many earnest comments from several of the settlers present. Mr Blyth, at the conclusion of his address, expressed his pleasure at having to invite Mrs Hornbrook to lay the foundation stone that day. The interest her late husband had taken in Temuka and their conjoined hospitality and kindness to everyone, was well known to all of the early residents. He formally asked her to see the foundation stone of the obelisk truly laid, and begged her acceptance of a silver trowel as a memento not only of the occasion but as a mark of the kindly feeling entertained towards herself by the pioneers. Mrs Hornbrook, after, the stone had been laid in position said " I now declare this stone well and truly laid," amidst a really old fashioned round of applause. Beneath the stone was placed a bottle containing coins, copies of the Timaru Herald of the 22nd June and current date, and of the Temuka Leader, and also a document notifying the date of the laying of the stone and containing the names of the committee, etc. The Rev. George Barclay, who had accepted the committee's invitation to be present, was received very cordially when he rose to speak. In a particularly happy manner he contrasted the old with the new, and gave many graphic instances of the progress of agriculture, education, trade and religion since he first knew Temuka. Many of his illustrations provoked laughter, and several, where reference was made to settlers now dead, were most sympathetically received. He sketched the history of colonisation which was really the history of civilization, and compared the characteristics of the pioneers of this colony as far as integrity, perseverance, and the desire to found a home for their descendants are concerned, very favourably with the characteristics of those of earlier days. Many thought that the country might be better, many desired new laws, but all should endeavour to make the colony greater than it already is. His remarks were received with very hearty applause. Upon Mr Arthur Rhodes devolved the task, a pleasing one, he said, of moving a vote of thanks to Mrs Hornbrook and the Rev. G. Barclay. In this he desired to include the chairman. As the representative of a colonist, and not himself as a pioneer, and also from personal experience, he referred to the hospitable manner in which the late Mr W. Hornbrook and his wife, whom all were be pleased to see present, had treated early residents, and he had great pleasure m endorsing the remarks made by the chairman as to the worth of the Rev. G. Barclay's labours in the early days. His (the speaker's) family was perhaps the first to buy land in South Canterbury, and he was proud to be there to take part in the gathering that day. Mr Rhodes then called for cheers for Mrs Hornbrook, the Rev. G. Barclay, and the chairman. These were heartily given and suitably acknowledged. A sketch of the obelisk, prepared in the office of Mr Turnbull, of Timaru, who is kindly superintending its erection, was displayed m proximity to the foundation stone, and it was agreed that it will prove a suitable memorial of the pioneers' appreciation of the progress of the colony up to the Jubilee year.
On one of the basal stones is an inscription : — "
Erected by the Pioneers interested in
the Temuka District Prior to the
flood of 1868, in commemoration of
the 60th year of reign of her
most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria,
June 22nd 1897.
Messrs Jas. Blyth, Chairman
J. Ackroyd, J. Austin, E.H. Brewer, A.L. Barker
S. Cain, A. Clyne, P. Coira, C. Mc S. Gentlemus
H. Goodeve, E. Lee, C. Levens, J. Maze
N.C. Nicholas, F. Oliver, T. Palmer, J.A. Young,
E. Benbow, Hon. Treasurer. A.W. Gaze Hon. Sec.
Timaru Herald, 2 November 1897, Page 2
Mr Partridge has shown us a handsome silver trowel made by him for the Temuka Pioneers' Memorial Committee, to be used on Thursday at the laying of the Memorial Stone in Victoria Park, by Mrs W. Hornbrook, the oldest of the Temuka pioneers. The blade of the trowel is of solid silver, with a handle of prettily mottled totara and silver cap. The blade is nicely engraved and ornamented, and altogether the trowel is a good piece of workmanship, completed on very short notice by Mr O.E. Partridge. It will be on view m his window to-day.
Timaru Herald, 2 November 1897, Page 2
Mr Partridge has shown us a handsome silver trowel made by him for the Temuka Pioneers' Memorial Committee, to be used on Thursday at the laying of the Memorial Stone m Victoria Park, by Mrs W, Hornbrook, the oldest of the Temuka pioneers. The blade of the trowel is of solid silver, with a handle of prettily mottled totara and silver cap. The blade is nicely engraved and ornamented, and altogether the trowel is a good piece of workmanship, completed on very short notice by Mr Partridge. It will be on view m his window to-day.
[Timaru Herald, 20 December 1897, Page 4]
The memorial obelisk erected in Victoria Park, Temuka, by the "old identities" of the district to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the early settlers, was unveiled on Thursday afternoon by Mrs James Blyth, the second oldest lady resident, Mrs Hornbrook, her one predecessor as a pioneer, having laid the foundation stone. There was not a large attendance at the ceremony. In the absence of Mr James Blyth, who was too ill to be present [(James Blyth died at age 78, Oct. 30 1928, buried at Temuka)], Mr P. Coira presided, and apologised for the absence of many pioneers who were away from the district. The Rev. George Barclay was the orator for the day, gave an interesting address. Mrs Blyth unveiled the memorial, and Mr F. W. Stubbs, the oldest identity present, then gave some reminiscences of the early days of South Canterbury, and was followed by Messrs Levens and E. Pilbrow, and others moved various votes of thanks. The obelisk is of Timaru bluestone on three steps of the same material. It is 18½ feet high, and was designed by Mr James Turnbull, architect, and worked and erected by Mr W. H. Cain.
Gladstone H.J. [H.G.]
(Just the one panel)
Wareing J D
Wells R P
Barclay Revd G
Barker R A
Barker A L
Gentlemun G McS [ 1867]
Gibson A 1862
|next column on tablet
Rayner C J
Mathews O O
Nicholas N C
Trezise T H A
Stubbs E W [F.W.]
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 918 Published 1903
AUSTIN, James, Farmer, Ohape, near Temuka. Mr Austin was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1837, and was brought up as a farmer by his father. He came to Lyttelton in 1864 by the ship "Zealandia," and after farming for three years at Selwyn, removed to Temuka in 1867 - just before the heavy flood in that district. Mr Austin has a number of farms, and in addition to cereal growing, is a breeder of sheep and cattle at one time he owned a stud of Clydesdale horses. He was married in the Old County and has eleven children.
Timaru Herald, 21 August 1900, Page 2
Mr Jonathan Batterbee, one of the earliest of South Canterbury settlers, and a well known resident at Temuka, was found dead in his bed on Sunday morning. Deceased had been ailing for some time, and latterly had been residing with his son-in-law, Mr James Findlay. Mr Batterbee will be remembered by earlier settlers as having at one time kept an accommodation house at the Hook, and as the proprietor of bullock teams engaged then on the track between Waimate and Timaru. He subsequently removed to the Temuka district, and engaged in ordinary colonial occupations. In his declining years he was a much respected employee of the Temuka Town Board, but latterly he has resided with his nearest relatives among whom he quietly passed away.
Jonathan (28) and Eliza Batterbee (29) arrived at Lyttelton in the Midlothian on 8 October 1851, sponsored by a Mr Black. He was a lamp lighter in later years and earlier owned a hotel at Hook Bush. He is buried in Temuka and listed under BATTERLY on the online database, plot 76 section B. Interred 21 Aug. 1900. His his wife had an Anglican burial service. No headstones. Many burials are missing from the records.
John DOWNES and wife, Sarah BATTERSBY (not to be confused with BATTERBEE above, no connection or spelling error) came to Lyttelton on Zealandia 1858 [passenger list page 4, col.b] [another list] from Worksop, Nottinghamshire. The family spent time in Temuka before shifting to Cave but I'm unable to establish what he did in Temuka but he worked on a farm at Cave before he died. He is buried at Pleasant Point cemetery. I know he lived in Arowhenua when arriving from Lyttelton with his family on a dray. He had a small son John 5 years (later buried at Pleasant Point with his father). Their daughter Mary died on the board ship. The John DOWNES buried in Temuka is John Sr's grandson. He was the eldest son, and brother Cornelius Francis DOWNES who was a saddler in Temuka until he retired. Folklore says John died from a sheep disease at 15 years old and presume this may have been hydatids. Sarah BATTERSBY, his grandmother, is buried with him as well as two babies. There is no headstone. Information courtesy of Margaret Todd, posted 19 Sept. 2009
Evening Post, 19 May 1914, Page 3
GENEROUS BEQUESTS TIMARU, 18th May.
The late George M'Sheehy Gentlemun, of Temuka, left £3350 to charitable objects, £1000 of it for the Catholic school in Temuka, £700 for the Society of Mary, £300 each for the Mount Magdala and Nazareth Homes and the Catholic Cathedral, Christchurch, and the Catholic Church, Temuka, and smaller sums for other similar objects.
Poverty Bay Herald, 8 October 1914, Page 7
During September, 242 deceased persons' estates were finally certified for stamp duty. George Mc-Sheehy Gentlemun £7863
Otago Daily Times 21 June 1919, Page 10
On Saturday there passed away at Hilton, a South Canterbury pioneer in the person of Mr John Kelland. Mr Kelland was born in Devonshire in 1840. He came to New Zealand by the ship British Empire in 1864, landing at Lyttelton. He first went on to a station in the Ashburton district, now known as the Springfield estate, and remained there for two years. From Ashburton he went to Timaru, and spent some time on his late father's' farm at Gleniti. Subsequently he bought a farm at Kakahu. He was there during the flood of 1868, and eventually sold out to his brother "William. From Kakahu Mr Kelland went to Smithfield, where he remained for seven years, after which he acquired a sheep and grain-growing farm at Temuka known as Puke Mara, and remained there till failing health compelled him to go to Timaru and retire. He also owned the Woodside estate at Geraldine at one time. Mr Kelland was for 23- years a member of the Geraldine Road Board, and in 1893 was chairman of that body.' He was at one time a director of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, a member of the Timaru Harbour Board of the Winchester and Hilton School Committee, and for many years was a vestryman of the Geraldine Anglican Church. He married Miss Poole, of Devonshire, who predeceased him four years ago. Ho leaves a grown up family of six daughters and two sons.
Star, 23 August 1909, Page 3 OBITUARY.
MR JOHN LANGRIDGE
Another old colonist has gone to rest in the person of John Langridge, late of Waitohi, Temuka. He died at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr W. J. Dennis, of Christchurch, on Sunday, August 22. Mr Langridge was born in 1834, at Sussex, England, where he served an apprenticeship to the building trade. He and his late wife came to New Zealand in 1858 by the ship Indiana. They landed at Lyttelton and he followed his trade in Christchurch for eight years. He then removed to Temuka, where he took up land, carrying on building and farming jointly for many years. He leaves a grown-up family of six sons and three daughters. [He is buried at Temuka with his wife Esther]
Auckland Star, 11 August 1922, Page
An old colonist. Mr. Charles James Rayner, died yesterday at his residence in Victoria Avenue, Remuera, aged 85 years. Deceased was a native of Gloucester, England, and arrived in New Zealand in 1864, landing at Lyttelton. A little later he settled at Temuka, where he served on the school committee. He was also one of the hon., secretaries of the South Canterbury Protection League, which was instrumental in the formation of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works. Mr. Rayner also was a member and secretary to the Temuka Park Commissioners. In 1883 deceased removed to Stoke, where he was elected a member of the Diocesan Synod of Nelson. Fifteen years ago Mr. Rayner removed to Auckland. He is survived by three sons, Messrs. C. E. and L. T. Rayner. of Sydney, Mr. W. M. Rayner, Auckland, and one daughter, Mrs. A. R. Holloway, of Remuera.
New Zealand Herald, 11 August 1922, Page 8
DEATH OF OLD COLONISTS, Mr. C. J. RAYNER. The death occurred yesterday at residence 12, Victoria Avenue, Remuera of Charles James Rayner, a colonist of many years' standing, at the age of 86. Mr. Rayner was born in 1838 in Gloucester, England. His father for many years held the position of collector of inland revenue. In 1864, Mr Rayner cams to New Zealand, landing at Lyttelton. Shortly afterwards he settled at Temuka, being one of the pioneers of that district. During 25 years' residence at Temuka Mr. Rayner served on the old school board, and was one of the honorary secretaries of the South Canterbury Protection League, which resulted in the formation of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, which was an important body in those times. He was also one of the first Temuka Park commissioners, and hon. secretary of that body. Mr. Rayner was always interested in church matters, and was a churchwarden for many years. In 1893 he moved to Stoke and was a member of the Diocesan Synod of Nelson, until he came to Auckland 15 years ago. Mr. Rayner is survived by three sons, Messrs. C. E. and LT. Rayner, of Sydney, and Mr, W. M. Rayner, y of Auckland, and one daughter, Mrs. A. R. Holloway, of Remuera. The interment will take place at Purewa cemetery to-day
Francis Worcester Stubbs is buried at Temuka. Died 21 April 1920
Poverty Bay Herald, 22 April 1920, Page 2
Timaru, last night. Mr. Frank Worcester Stubbs, the oldest inhabitant of South Canterbury; died at Geraldine to-day, at the age 85 years. He was born in Coventry, and came to Lyttelton in the Samarang in 1852.
Evening Post, 22 April 1920, Page 7
AN EARLY PIONEER DEATH OF SOUTH CANTERBURY VETERAN.
TIMARU, 21st April There died at Geraldine this morning, aged 85, Francis Worcester Stubbs, the oldest white inhabitant of South Canterbury. He was a native of Coventry. He came to Lyttelton in the Samarang in 1852, and assisted in bringing the first cattle to South Canterbury (The Levels) for Rhodes Bros, in the same year. At that time the track followed adhered to the coast, and wild dogs were met with near Ashburton. He saw the first small house erected in Timaru, and a few earlier comers (the sheepmen) lodging in old Maori huts of grass. Mr. Stubbs remained in the employ of Rhodes Bros, between four and five years, and then managed the Pareora station for Harris and Innes for six years. Subsequently he started the first auctioneering-business in Timaru. In 1880 on the formation of the Geraldine County he was appointed clerk, and held that position till he retired six or eight years ago. He was secretary of the South Canterbury A. and P. Association, and was for many years a member of the Timaru Road Board. He held the rank of lieutenant, in the Artillery Volunteers, and was a member of the Masonic body. He was an excellent officer of the county, and highly esteemed by all. He married a Victorian lady (Miss Crawley), and had a family of six sons and three daughters. Mr. Stubbs had a wealth of memories of the early days, and enjoyed relating his experiences.
Press, 17 March 1911, Page 9
There were other early settlers whose names are not in the list, probably through the difficulty of obtaining the date of their arrival Messrs Archie McKinley, T. Hammond. M. Riley, D. Fergusson, sen., B. Gibson, the Popplewells, Wyatt, Peryman Massey, W. Begis, W. Bennett, and Martin Connolly were among the men who were first working in the Arowhenua bush, or connected with the first settlement. The first store at the Arowhenua bush, or Georgetown, was carried on by Mr A. McKinley, then by Messrs Dyson and Wood. The latter went Home, and on his return voyage was drowned in the wreck of the London. Mr J. A. Young was also associated with the business. Mr J.M. Martin also had a store in the bush. Mr Fergusson was the first schoolmaster.
Timaru Herald, 30 January 1869, Page 2
My attention is directed to and interesting account in yesterdays "Herald" of a pig, which was very successfully trained to act as a pointer. But this was an English pig, and I am sorry to say that the pigs of this town have not had much pains bestowed on their education, as, when they are turned loose, which is there usual condition, the height of their ambition seems to be to get into the gardens and do what damage they can there.
The Royal Hotel here has changed hands, the purchaser being Mr George Dyson, formerly of the Crown Hotel, who intends to carry on the business himself. In what line Mr Young intends to invest the fortune he has doubtless acquired in the house, or whether he proposes to enjoy his oliun cum dignitate, free from the cares and risks of business, I am not informed. Judging from appearances, it would seem that there is something either very pleasant or very lucrative in the hotel business, as it is almost universally the case that those who have once been engaged in it never seem to take so well to any other calling. Let us wish Mr Dyson all success in his new undertaking, of which there is little doubt, as he is held in universal esteem.