Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 918 Published 1903
OHAPE is seventeen miles to the north of Timaru in the county of Geraldine. It is within five miles of Temuka, and has a bi-weekly mail service with Timaru. The district is devoted to farming. has a public school and a blacksmith shop.
AUSTIN, James, Farmer, Ohape, near Temuka. Mr Austin was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1837, and was brought up as a farmer by his father. He came to Lyttelton in 1864 by the ship "Zealandia," and after farming for three years at Selwyn, removed to Temuka in 1867 - just before the heavy flood in that district. Mr Austin has a number of farms, and in addition to cereal growing, is a breeder of sheep and cattle at one time he owned a stud of Clydesdale horses. He was married in the Old County and has eleven children.
HIDE, William, Farmer. Clarendon Farm, Ohape, Winchester. Mr Hide was born at Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, in 1853, and came to Lyttelton., in 1871, in the ship "Merope." In 1876, he took up a farm of 110 acres at Hilton, and afterwards took up the Clarendon farm of 235 acres at Ohape, where he chiefly resides. Mr Hide has been a member of the Winchester school committee, and also of the Hilton school committee for many years. He was married, in 1876, to Miss Eliza Woodley, and they have a family of four sons and five daughters.
SCOTT, James Kinnear, Farmer, Ohape, Temuka. Mr Scott was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1845, and was trained to farming. He came out to New Zealand by the ship "Chariot of Fame," landing at Lyttelton in 1862, and settled in Temuka in 1877 when he took up a farm of 120 acres. Mr Scott afterwards purchased 124 acres at Winchester. He takes no part in public affairs but is a member of the Winchester Lodge of Freemasons. Mr Scott is married and has eight children.
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 919-920 Published 1903
MILFORD, in the county of Geraldine is between Temuka and the sea. There is a large lagoon in the district, and at one time it was thought that it might be practicable to convert it into a harbour, to serve all that part of South Canterbury. At the census of March, 1901, Milford had a population of 157 souls. The district is devoted to agriculture.
CARTWRIGHT, George, Blacksmith, Milford, near Temuka. Mr. Cartwright is a son of Mr John Cartwright is a son of Mr John Cartwright, an old settler, of Pleasant Point, and was born in Timaru in 1889. His father took up a farm at Pleasant Point in 1872, and the young Cartwright was brought up to farming, and was later on engaged with his father in contracting for road making. He served an apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade at Pleasant Point and then went to Waitohi, where for two years he was engaged in farming work. In 1891 he went to Milford, where he bought a small property and erected a blacksmith's shop, and there he has since followed his trade; he also cultivates a compact little leasehold farm, part of the green Hayes estate. In 1899 he married Miss Sarah Ann Shepherd, of Pleasant Point, and they have two sons and one daughter.
PRATTLEY, Eli, Farmer, Milford, near Temuka. Mr Prattley was born in Oxfordshire, England, in 1845, and was brought up to farming. In 1875 he came to New Zealand in the ship "Crusader," and landed at Lyttelton on New Years Day. He went to Temuka, where he had to build his own house, as there were very few people in the district at that time. For about eight years he followed agriculture, and then, in conjunction with his brother and Mr Ward, he leased a farm of 128 acres near Temuka. working his farm for three years he was burnt out of house and home by a destructive firs. The partnership was then dissolved, and Mr Prattley took up another farm near at hand, There he worked for about five years, and built another house on a section he bought on the Arowhenua settlement. He then leased another farm from Mr Andrew Grant, and occupied it for four years. In 1895, he leased his present farm at Milford, and now enjoys the results of his persistent effort. His wheat occasionally averages sixty-two bushels to the acre. Mr Prattley is a member of the Milford School committee. In 1874, he married Miss Jane Malins, of Worcestershire, England, and they have ten sons and one daughter. brother
WOODHEAD, George Junior, Farmer, Manor Farm, near Temuka. Mr. G. Woodhead was born in Nottingshire, England, in 1844, and accompanied his parents in the ship "Clontarf," in 1859, to New Zealand, He is a member of the St George's Lodge of Freemasons, Temuka and has been a member of the Alexandrovna Lodge of Oddfellows, American order. In 1892, he married Miss Longson, of Glossop, Derbyshire, England; they have no family. Mrs Woodhead was a passenger in the ship "Wanganui," which arrived in 1878.
WOODHEAD, George, Old Colonist, Milford, near Temuka, belongs to that rapidly diminishing band of sturdy pioneers, who came to this colony in the days when it was young. He was born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1811, and brought out his wife and family to New Zealand in the ship "Clontarf." For about four years he was engaged with Mr John Studholme, at the Rakaia Gorge and the Selwyn. Then he went to Cashmere, near Christchurch, and took up a farm, which he kept for three years. I 1866 he leased a farm near Temuka from the late Mr Hayhurst, and worked it with his son for twenty0one years. On the expiration of the lease they bought a place at Milford, near Temuka, and named it Manor Farm.