A Photographic Pub Crawl - Timaru

April 2007

The Hydro Grand, overlooking the bay, is it is the most prominent building in the central city.
It stamps its character on the town: tower, arches, balconies, seaside romance. In its heyday was the place to stay.


Timaru's grand hotel has a historical, architectural, aesthetic and social significance but what does the future hold for this landmark? All the years of neglect are taking its toll. It was the heart of Timaru. "Demolition of the Hydro Grand will be a broad and permanent significance to Timaru." TH


The Hydro Grand, Timaru. Wm Ferrier, postcard photo.

Timaru's most famous facade the Hydro "standing there like some grand old lady as the rising sun bathed her flaking face" is situated on corner of Port Loop Road and Bay Hill, Timaru, was built in 1912. The three-storey Edwardian Baroque-style hotel was designed by architect Herbert Hall in partnership with Frederick Marchant. Hall also designed the St David's Church behind Cave. The gables were blown off during a storm in 1975 and were never replaced. The iconic building has a Heritage NZ rating of category two meaning it has a regional significance and cannot be demolished or undergo major alterations without Timaru District Council consent. 


The Hydro - Real People - Real Prices


The D.B. Grosvenor Hotel, 26 Cains Tce, is situated on corner of Cain's Terrace and Beswick Street directly across the street from the Royal Hotel. The Grosvenor Hotel was sold to Christchurch-based Pollardio Holdings. The company took over the business on October 1 2007. "They are committed to maintaining the heritage and the glory of the Grosvenor Hotel for another 125 years."  The foundation stone was laid in 1875.


Nov. 2011. The paint has faded, and the fire escapes are missing and the blue awnings have been removed.

Timaru Herald, 6 September 1875, Page 3
New Hotel. —The plans have just been drawn of a hotel for Mr John Meikle, which will be one of the finest, if not the finest building in the town, both as regards size and appearance. Mr Meikle has resolved upon the enterprise in consequence of his conviction of the want of a first-class family hotel have, similar to those in the large cities of the colony. The plans have been drawn by Mr F. J. Wilson. The site of the building is a corner section fronting on Beswick-street and Cains-terrace —the opposite corner to that, on which The Royal Hotel is situated. The building will be two-storied, and the material of which it is to be composed is to be brick with cement dressings and cornices, the roof, to be of iron. The area the building will cover, is 80 feet by 62 feet, and the height of the walls will be25 feet. There will be two fronts—the main one facing Cain's-terrace being 80 foot long, and the other facing Beswick street being 60 feet there will be a verandah and balcony above it, situated in the recess between the two wings of the building. The balcony and verandah will be 35 feet m length. The main entrance will be under the verandah, and the other front entrances comprise a doorway at the angle of the streets, and two others in Beswick-street. Inside of the main entrance is a hall 30 feet by 9 feet, with a geometrical staircase in the western end. In the portion of the house to the south of the hall on the ground floor to be a commercial room 15ft by 13 feet, a show room 30 feet by 20 feet, a pantry 10 feet by 10 feet, a china and plate closet 10 feet by 6 feet, a kitchen 20 feet by 20 feet with five feet range and water supply apparatus, and two servants' bedrooms 10 feet by 8 feet each. On the north side of the hall there is to be a bar parlor 15 feet by 13 feet, a small parlor 13 feet by 10 feet; a bar 21 feet by 20 feet, and a billiard room 29 feet by 20 feet, to which there will be at entrance porch from Beswick-street. Between the two wings, at the back of the building, will be a verandah. On the upper floor of the building there will be a landing hall 24 feet by 7 feet leading to the balcony on the south side of this hall there will be a parlor 15 feet by 14 feet, a parlor 14 feet by 13 feet, a bedroom 12 feet by 12 feet, and eleven other bedrooms 9 feet 3 inches by 8 feet each, also a linen closet 8 feet by 6 feet. On the north side of the hall there will be a parlor 15 feet by, 14 feet, a private parlor 13 feet by 11 feet, a bedroom 12 feet by .0 feet, a bedroom 15 feet by 9 feet, seven bedrooms 9 feet 3 inches by 8 feet each, a bathroom 8 feet by 8 feet fitted up with water-apparatus, and a water closet 8 feet by 4 feet. To each of the parlors upstairs a double bedroom is attached, and from the front rooms five French casements open to the balcony. Altogether there will be 41 rooms m the building. Under the bar is a celler 21 feet by 20 feet. The building will be commenced shortly, and when finished will be an ornament to the town.

Timaru Herald, 6 September 1875, Page 3
Town Improvements — At the present time there are some very substantial building improvements in hand and contemplated in the business portion of the town. In addition to the large large Hotel for Mr Meikle, described in our present issue, Mr D. McLennan of the Club hotel has commenced an addition to his building to comprise sixteen rooms. The addition is to be in brick and in the same style as the present building. Mr Thompson, of Melville House House, also intends to carry out improvements on his promises, preparations having been commenced for a considerable addition to his hotel in brick; A fine brick store for Messrs Russell, Ritchie, and in George-street takes the place of a coal yard and some old shanties near the landing services services, and constitutes great improvement in the locality. The building, which is about 100 ft. by 40ft.is now roofed and fast approaching completion. A handsome, two storied stone, building is now nearly finished for Mr R. Turnbull on the Great South road, and it ia rumored that other substantial buildings are shortly to be erected in the same street — some on the site of the late fire and one opposite the Criterion Hotel for the Union Bank of Australia.

The Royal Hotel


The Royal Hotel, 29 - 30 Cain's Terrace, was built in 1920s and upgraded in the 90s is situated on corner of Cain's Terrace and Beswick Street in 2007.

Nov. 2011
Nov. 2011- The Royal with a new trim colour and balconies removed.


The D.B. Dominion Hotel, 334-336 Stafford St. situated at the top of Stafford Street and the corner of Sefton Street, just South of Port Loop Road (50 metres from Hydro Grand.) The hotel was designed by Lusk and Moriarty in 1912. The 1500 square metre building has an Oamaru stone exterior has an Historic Places Trust historic category rating. See pink decoration at top. 1930s. The first proprietor of the Dominion was J. REILLY. In recent years it has been used as backpacker accommodation and has also housed an art gallery. The building has a commercial kitchen and dining room. "It has a lot of potential, there are views from every floor."

Timaru Herald, Feb 27, 2010
The original Dominion Hotel, at the top of Stafford St and close to the Hydro Grand, dates back to the 1870s and has had a colourful history. Many Timaru residents will recall the establishment with affection, and some may remember the knock three times on the rear door policy to gain admission after hours back in the era of six o'clock closing. Threatened with demolition a decade ago, the Dominion has had a new lease of life, being used as an art gallery, backpacker lodge and a youth entertainment centre. While parts of the elegant old building are somewhat rundown, current owner and agent Peter Wilson sees a wealth of opportunity for a visionary entrepreneur. Mr Wilson and his family lived in the well appointed third storey suite until recently. The view over Caroline Bay to the mountains beyond must rank as one of South Canterbury's finest, particularly from the superb balcony flanked by substantial columns which Mr Wilson, somewhat tongue in cheek, says was built for the Queen's visit if she had ever chosen to favour the establishment with her presence. The vista from even higher, on the roof, is simply breathtaking and provides much food for thought. There have been recent discussions in regard to exterior painting options or whether the facade could be restored to its original Oamaru stone grandeur.
Many internal features will appeal to potential developers ranging from the fully fitted commercial kitchen, beautiful, original, heart rimu floors, stylish and ornate Edwardian ceilings and substantial staircases. The opportunity still exists for some form of commercial premises on the 1163 square metre freehold site, especially with the parcel of bare land in the rear and an easement to Sophia St. Demolition may still be an option. A rating valuation of $750,000.


The Queen's Hotel, built in 1878, is on corner of North and Barnard Street opposite Police Station.

Timaru's oldest pub closes its doors
Timaru Herald
27/08/2014
Timaru's oldest pub, the Queen's Hotel, is closing its doors after 139 years. Corrina and Gordie Worthington have been trying to sell the lease for more than two years, but had no luck, so instead in a "heartbreaking" decision they have decided to close and get on with their lives. The last day is Saturday, September 20. She thinks she could write a book about her eight years there. The Queen's was the oldest pub in Timaru, she said. "It opened circa 1875 and is the oldest pub to still be on its original site." The customers and staff has been like an extended family, with a busy night seeing up to 50 people in the bar. It has become a regular haunt of the South Canterbury Rugby Referees Association and the Timaru Cricket Club. "If it wasn't for the customers you wouldn't do it, it will be so sad to see them go. I actually cried when I told the boarders we were closing last week," Worthington said. "Our oldest customer is 84, we have lost a few [customers] over the last few years as they have passed away." The hotel had a memorial wall of all the regulars who had died. Liquor laws had made a publican's life harder, she said. "The lower driving limit coming in December will make a difference. People wanting to have a jug and drive home will be over the limit. The council costs keep getting more expensive." Being so close to the Timaru courthouse, it had attracted counsel and defendants alike. What will they do now after living onsite in what she describes as a 24-hour operation? "Have a life, go boating, fishing and camping and spend time with our grandson. I look forward to having a house again."

Timaru Herald, 13 June 1878, Page 4
New Hotel in North and Barnard Streets. A new and most commodious hotel situated at the corner of North and Barnard streets, is about to be erected, and through the courtesy of Mr Thomas Machin, the architect, we are enabled to give particulars of the same. The section is an acute angle, the building being exactly in the line of the two streets. The corner is gracefully rounded instead of cutting, as is usual, a straight slice off. In this corner is the bar entrance. The front is relieved by six bold pilasters, which run up to the top of the parapet, up to the first floor window-sills, the front is stuccoed to imitate ashler, and from the top of the sills up to the fascia of main cornice, the brickwork is to be neatly tuck-pointed. There are 10 windows in the fronts, arched with ornamental brick arches which spring from bosses or corbels, and will be turned with alternate red and black bricks. The main cornice will also be stuccoed, and in the fascia of cornice will be inserted red and black tiles, running the length from pilaster to pilaster, forming a panel. The corner will be surmounted with a bold ornament, which will answer three purposes — viz., the foot of a flag-staff, for the name of the hotel, and for a clock. As the hotel immediately faces the Main road and the Courthouse, a clock will be found very useful to those who have business in the Court. The height of the parapet from the footpath will, be 31ft and the corner, including relief, 36ft. Under the bar there, is a cellar 19ft. x 28ft., and 7ft. high, floored with concrete. The ground floor contains bar 16ft. x 10ft., bar parlor, 12ft. 6in.; x10ft commercial room, 21ft. 3in. x 13ft. 9in.; snuggery, 16ft. 6in. x 13ft. ; dining room, 20ft. 6in. x 16ft. 6in. ; kitchen , 16ft. 14in. ; pantry, 9ft. 6in. x 6ft 9in ; scullery, 9ft 6in x 7ft. There is a spacious passage opening on Barnard street 8ft. in the clear, and one on North-street 5 ft. 6in. in the clear. Each passage gives easy access to the staircase. The principal rooms and passages will be ornamented by rich cornices and centre flowers, and the kitchen will be provided with a large double oven range with high pressure boiler, and alongside of the range will be a large hot plate nearly 6ft, long. Hot and cold water pipes will be laid on to the washing up sink. Ascending the stairs we come to a spacious lauding, 12ft. x 13ft., and immediately fronting it, are two sitting rooms, 14ft. x 11ft 6in. Each sitting room opens into a bedroom 12ft. x 11ft. To the right and left run passages, giving acceptance to nine other bedrooms, the largest being 10ft x 13ft, and the smallest 9ft x Oft ; there is also a linen closet 10ft x 7it, and luggage store 10ft x 7ft. The landing will have plaster cornice and centre flower, from which a chandelier will hang, which is so placed that the whole of the passages will be well lighted. By day the landing and stairs will be lighted by a pavilion light, which will answer the double purpose of light and ventilator, us by a simple contrivance that can be easily managed by a small boy or the inevitably "Boots," and the whole of the light gradually and easily moves completely off, so that the bad smell which so often pervades many hotels, and is very disagreeable, in hot weather especially, can be entirely guarded against. The rooms are lofty and spacious, and each bedroom will be ventilated by a perforated flower. The ground floor is 12ft from floor to ceiling, and the first, or chamber floor, lift. The tenders for the work were very close, and run as follows : — J. Simpson, £2235 ; G. Cliff, £2245; G. Filmer, £2286; Tub and Targus, £2329 ; Breadly and Berry, £2389 6s ; J. Derby, £2497 10s. The Architect's estimate was £2168. The above tendering shows that that the plans and specifications must have been drawn up with very great care. Mr. J. Simpson's tender was accepted for the work.

The City Hotel is on Stafford Street opposite Woollcombe Street.  The City was originally the Albion, est. 1866, then the Shamrock (1883) and in 1945 changed again, to the City. Sadly the Commercial, Carlton (originally the Timaru) and City Hotels were 'art decoed' in the 30s and 40s as a fashion move which was part of accommodation improvements. The Excelsior (was the Criterion) got the same treatment, but was striped of it's covering about 2004, a huge improvement. The Commercial was burnt down in 1986, the Carlton is still going, and the City is of course closed but still standing.

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District] 1903 page 1004
Shamrock Hotel (Henry Rothwell, proprietor), Stafford Street, Timaru. This hostelry, which is considered the handsomest building of its kind in Timaru, is situated within three minutes' walk of the railway station. On the ground floor are the bars, bar-parlour, commercial, dining, and billiard rooms, besides the kitchen and offices. Twenty-eight bedrooms and two bathrooms are on the first floor, and the entire premises are replete with all modern conveniences. The proprietor, Mr. Rothwell, who was born in County Carlow, Ireland, came to New Zealand in 1875. He was engaged in farming pursuits for a time, and afterwards spent some years in Melbourne. On returning to New Zealand, he became proprietor of the Melville Hotel, Timaru, subsequently of the Temuka Hotel at Temuka, and purchased the “Shamrock” in 1897. While resident in Temuka, Mr. Rothwell was president and vice-president of several clubs, and at one time interested himself in racing and horse-breeding, but disposed of his stud in 1896.
    Timaru Hotel, Timaru. This hotel is situated in Stafford Street South, about five minutes' walk from the Railway Station, or Post Office. The house is well built of stone and concrete, and contains twenty-three rooms, including a commercial room, dining-room, billiard-room, and bath-room. Hot and cold water is laid on throughout the house, which is also fitted throughout with electric bells.
    Mr. William Tobin, proprietor of the Timaru Hotel, was born in County Waterford, Ireland, on the 10th day of May, 1873. In 1889 he came to Dunedin, via Australia, and had some experience in country life. He was employed for five years at the Levels station, for a year by Mr. William Grant, and for a year by Mr. A. Humphrey, of Seadown. On removing to Ashburton, Mr. Tobin was employed for three years at the Fairfield freezing works. He became proprietor of the Timaru Hotel in July, 1901. Mr. Tobin is a member of the Hibernian Benefit Society, of the Ashburton Working-men's Club, and of the South Canterbury Jockey Club, and the Timaru Trotting Club. He was married, on the 27th of June, 1901, to a daughter of Mr. J. Dennis Murphy, of High Bank, Rakaia, and has one son.
    Captain John Morgan, formerly Proprietor of the Timaru Hotel, was born in Cardigan, Wales, in 1853. He went to sea at an early age on his father's ship, a China tea clipper. After serving a four years' apprenticeship with the Shire line of Liverpool, he was successively second mate of the ship “Rutlandshire” and chief mate of the barque “Annie Gambles,” and the barquentine “Swallow.” In seafaring circles Captain Morgan was better known as having been master of the barquentine “Annie Bow,” and the barque “Ganymede.” He traded between London and New Zealand for the last ten years of his seafaring life, and retired from the sea in 1887. Having made a large number of friends in Timaru, he took over the Royal Hotel there, and remained in it for about three years. Subsequently he had the Commercial Hotel, Timaru, the Makikihi Hotel, Makikihi, and the Royal Hotel, Christchurch. In February, 1899, Captain Morgan returned to Timaru, and took over the Timaru Hotel, from which he retired about the middle of 1900. He was a member of the Timaru Caledonian Lodge of Freemasons, and also a member of the Druids' Lodge. Captain Morgan, who married a daughter of the late Mr. Alex. White, of Timaru, and had one son, died in January, 1902.
 


The Carlton is on Stafford Street just north of North Street.
The bar was originally called the Whaler and hosted council meetings on a regular basis in its earlier days.

 

Excelsior Hotel, known as the X, now very rundown but still standing on Stafford Street south of George Street. Built from local bluestone in 1870 to conform to the bylaws introduced after the 1868 Stafford St. fire and was then known as the Criterion and it was at the centre of the town's commercial area as the port was near the Landing Service building  Additions in the 1870s, built of brick, were added at the back by licensee Joseph Murphy had a staircase installed inside the building and made improvements at the rear to include four bedrooms downstairs, a sports room, a billiards room upstairs, six bedrooms and a bathroom, all in response to increasing demand for accommodation. The guest entrance stained glass signage for the Excelsior. G.S. Newey was proprietor of the Criterion Hotel in 1890. D. McGuinnes, announced in January 1891, that as the additions to the Criterion Hotel, designed by Duval, architect, are now complete his popular one shilling luncheon will resume. Andy Woods owned and operated the Pleasant Point pub between 1936 and 1939 and the Excelsior Tavern in Timaru between 1944 to 1951 when he leased it to his son, Allan Woods until 1952 then his daughters held the lease from 1957 until 1966. Andy sold the Masonic Hotel at St Andrews August 19, 1936 to Peter Dalleissi, that night it burned down. The fire was treated as suspicious, but no-one was ever brought to justice. The original Masonic hotel was built in 1876 and was a wooden structure with a stable at the rear of the building where horses were housed. The hotel was quickly rebuilt by Peter Daleissi into the popular Art Deco style we see today. At that time St Andrews was known as Lower Pareora with a population of 100. Mr W.J. Wattie Sheehan took over the Excelsior in 1966.  

Timaru Herald, 3 July 1869, Page 5
Crossing George-street, we see opposite to us the large and really handsome stone warehouse in course of erection for Mr Turnbull. The building has a frontage of 62 feet on the Main South Road, and about 40 feet on George-street. As far as can be judged from the work now executed the building will be a first-class one, and, standing as it does on an admirable site, will be an ornament to the town. The massive pillars of dressed blue stone are all in position, as well as the handsome white stone cornice resting on iron bessemers above. The building is to be of two stories, and the height from the ground to the top blocking will not be far short of 40 feet. Mr Upton, of Timaru, is the architect, and Mr F. Wilson the contractor for the entire work.

Timaru Herald 16 September 2009 with photos
Significant elements in its construction include bluestone walls, quoins, window and door detail, pilasters, cornice moulding and a parapet. The Timaru District Council describes the building in its heritage inventory as having aesthetic, architectural, cultural, historical, educational, social, technological, townscape and traditional value. Records show the first of many alterations and additions began on the building in 1878. Ronald Shelton bought the building in 1998 and rebranded the business as a party bar. He demolished the accommodation blocks on both floors and built an open-air terrace bar on the first floor. Licensee Joseph Murphy had a staircase installed inside the building and made improvements at the rear to include four bedrooms downstairs, a sports room, a billiards room upstairs, six bedrooms and a bathroom, all in response to increasing demand for accommodation. The additions were built of brick. Mr Murphy's luck ran out when he was charged with permitting gambling in his licensed house. His defence claimed it was reasonable for someone to have as many packs of cards in their house as they wished, and sometimes they could not prevent other people from playing them. Mr Murphy was fined 20 shillings and the judge informed his defence that if he wished to appeal the matter, then the fine would increase to 5.

 
Photos taken by M.T. in April 2007.

The Doncaster, Hilton Hwy, Washdyke in August 2006. The additions on either end and the back not part of the original accommodation house.    Dec. 2008. The Doncaster's licence will be transferred to a new tavern and restaurant across the road. Doncaster will remain open until the new tavern is up and ready to take over the licence. Closed end August 2010. George Thomas Weems Mason had the Doncaster Hotel at Washdyke and he sold to Mr John McBeth.

 Doncaster, August 2006.
The Doncaster was Timaru's third-oldest licensed hotel, after the Carlton and Royal hotels. In 2010 with the demise of the Royal, and soon the Doncaster, the Carlton would be the only surviving licensed hotel from its era – though it was not on its original site.

North Otago Times, 24 December 1867, Page 3
Timaru, 19th December, 1867. Anniversary Day passed off quietly, and business was entirely suspended. The attractions of the day Were rural sports' and a cricket match, on ground at the "Washdyke, three miles on the north road, and the weather being fine, though, blowy, a large number of persons were assembled. Why the people of Timaru should hold their games at such a distance from town, unless to suit the proprietor of the Washdyke Hotel, I cannot guess.

North Otago Times, 14 April 1868, Page 3
The shooting season commenced with April, and the massacre of the innocents has been large. One party who went out to the Washdyke lagoon the other evening, to look for wild duck returning to their roost, in their excited haste, shot four tame geese belonging to Mr Wilson, Washdyke Hotel, for which the owner has called upon them to pay the value.

North Otago Times, 21 October 1889, Page 2
TIMARU. October 20. The training stables at Dale's Washdyke Hotel, of eight stalls and 12 boxes, were burned on Saturday at midnight. Four horses only were in, and were got out, but a lot of saddlery and feed, etc., were destroyed. The origin of the fire is unknown. Dales is away, but there ia said to be no insurance.

Otago Witness 1 March 1879 pg21
A LICENSE is necessary both in marriage and in selling liquors.
This is because they are at first intoxicating, and afterwards likely to result in a fight.

MEMORIES OF TIMARU 50 YEARS AGO.
By Claire Allison. 17 January 2000, Timaru Herald
1959: Timaru people have a plethora of pubs to choose from. At the intersection of Stafford and Church streets alone, there is a pub on three corners - the Old Bank, the Crown and the Empire. The Crown will make way for Strathallan Corner, and the Empire for the now Hallensteins store, although the Church Street accommodation part of the building will remain. In the middle of the intersection are the infamous underground men's toilets. Some Stafford Street buildings will not change over the next 40-odd years, others will be demolished, some will be modernised. Anyone suggesting the State Highway 1 traffic flow should be diverted out of Stafford Street will be laughed out of town!


The Empire Hotel, Timaru. Muir & Moodie postcard, 1917. Church St. to the right. St. Mary's Church in the background. Mrs Kenning, proprietress. Alkinds Drapery next door.


Looking down Stafford St, south.

 

The Old Bank Hotel


The Old Bank Tavern, 232 Stafford St. in 2nd March 2009 at the intersection of Church (to the left) and Stafford St (to the right) and is still a popular 'watering hole'. The clock no longer functions but in 2008 a new clock was installed right across the street on the Pyne Gould Guinness Building.

Burton Bros.


The Weekly Press 9 October 1912 Photo - Timaru in the late 1860s. The large shop on the corner was built by the late David Clarkson and is now occupied by the Turnbull family.
Photo by Dr Barker. The BNZ is on the Main St. opposite the shop. The old Post Office used to adjoin the corner shop.

Timaru District Council Heritage Buildings Category B - Hotels:
Royal Hotel
Old Bank Tavern
D.B. Dominion Hotel
Hydro Grand Hotel
D.B. Grosvenor Hotel 

Publican's Profits.— Bar gains.
Pleading at the bar.— Begging for a drink.


1867, 1868, 1869, 1871, 1873 General licenses -1876

Applications for Licenses in the Lyttelton Times, 18 April 1865
Timaru Licenses -
ALLAN - William Glover, Timaru
BATTERBY - Jonathon, Hook Creek
BROWN - Daniel, River Waitangi
BURGESS - John, Burke's Pass
BUTTERWORTH - William, Timaru
CLARKE - John, Waimate
DRILLEN - Samuel, Saltwater Creek
DYSON - George, Temuka
FITCH - James Sawyer, Pareora
GELTY - Michael, Timaru
GREEN - Charles, Timaru
HEALEY - George, Timaru
JONES - William Benjamin, Waikikiki
MASON - George Weems, Washdyke
MARSHALL - Mary Ann, Rangitata
MEETON - John, Timaru
MERRY - Richard, Waitangi
McKINLAY - Archibald, Arowhenua
PROCTOR - Thomas, Waiho
WARNER - Joseph, Point Pleasant
WALDEN - William, Aparua
WADSWORTH - Thomas, Orari.
WILSON - Francis John, Timaru
YOUNG - John Albert, Waiho

Matthew Henry Richards and Mary Ann Richards bought Timaru's Terminus Hotel in 1926 and in 1934 leased the pub out. In 1951 he sold it.

From the Listener Archives: Closing time by Bruce Ansley Who’s calling last orders at two of New Zealand’s iconic pubs?

Advertisement placed in The Timaru Herald during the year 1864. The Club Hotel was situated on the corner of George Street and the Great South Road (now Stafford Street), very handily placed not far from the Landing Service building. The Club Hotel was opened by Samuel WILLIAMS when he moved his publican's licence from the Timaru Hotel on the foreshore in 1860. The new Timaru Hotel was damaged by fire in 1862, but promptly rebuilt and renamed the Club Hotel. This, in turn, was destroyed by the disastrous fire of 1868, but again the hotel was rebuilt (this time with locally-made bricks) and remained on the site for more than a century. 2006 - Cheng's Chinese Restaurant now occupies the old Club Hotel site.

C L U B H O T E L T. Faires, Proprietor
T. F. begs gratefully to acknowledge the kind patronage bestowed upon him, and will strive to merit a continuance of the same. Particular attention will be paid to the cleanliness of the sleeping apartments. There will be no expense spared in procuring everything in season for the table. Ladies will find amusement in their private apartments, there being a first-class PIANOFORTE and a fine SEA VIEW.
None but the BEST LIQUORS will be vended at this establishment.

________________________________
Published 2 July 1864 in
The Timaru Herald


Commercial Intelligence

"Herald Office" Timaru,
Friday Evening

The following is a list of the Timaru Retail Prices Current:- Sugar, 6d. to 8d. per lb : tea 3s. to 3s. 3d. ; coffee 1s. 8d. to 2s. : butter, Cork 2s., Wellington, fresh, 2s. 4d. ; Cheese, English per lb. 1s. 6d., Colonial 1s. 4d. ; bacon 1s. 6d.; hams, 1s. 6d. ; pickles, missed per bottle, 1s. 6d. : currants, 9d. : bottled fruit, 2s. : assorted jams, 1s. 8d. : dried apples, 9d. : salmon, per tin, 2s. : sardines, qrt tin ls. : sparm candles, 1s. 6d. : tallow do, 1s. : bread, 4lb loaf, 1s. 6d. : flour, 5d. : onions, 6d. : potatoes, 10s. per cwt: eggs, per dozen, 5s. : Beef, per lb, 1s. : mutton, 1s. : pork, 1s. : tobacco, from 6s. to 8s. per lb.
_____________________________________

TYLER AND BROWN
ACCOMMODATION HOUSE
Waitaki Ferry


N.B. Good accommodation for Traveller. Wines and Liquors of the best brands.

Taranaki Herald, 29 October 1870, Page 2
The Saltwater Creek Hotel, at Timaru, was burned down on the 8th. The fire originated in a spark from the chimney catching the shingle roof. The house was insured for £250. A good deal of the furniture was saved. Mr Slee, the proprietor, estimates his personal loss at £150.

Timaru Herald, 15 May 1867, Page 5
RESIDENT MAGISTRATE'S COURT.
TiMARU— Tuesday, May 3, 1867. [Before B. Woollcombe, Esq., R.M., and Messrs Stericker, Hall, Beswick, and Belfield, J.P.'s] The following licenses were renewed: —
HOTEL LICENSES.
W. G. Allen, Commercial Hotel, Timaru
A. Dow, Waimate Hotel, Waimate
E. Hooper, Royal Hotel, Timaru
J. Melton, Timaru Hotel, Timaru
P. D. McRae, Club Hotel, Timaru
A. McKinlay, Crown Hotel, Temuka
J. A. Young, Royal Hotel, Temuka

GENERAL LICENSE.
E. Poden, Old Bank Tavern, Timaru

WINE AND BEER LICENSES.
T. Goldstone, Albion Hotel, Timaru.
S. Driller, Otipua Creek, Timaru
Mary Garity, Hibernian Hotel, Timaru

CONDITIONAL LICENSES.
D. Brown, Lower Ferry, Waitangi
W. Ross, Upper Perry, Waitangi
C. Bishop, Waihi Crossing
— Burgess, Burkes Pass.
A. Blackmore, Otaio.
J. Batterby, Hook Creek
J. S. Fitch, Saltwater Creek
— Gilford, Pleasant Valley
E. Hooper, Pleasant Point.
W. Jones, Markikihi
J. Litster, Fairlie Creek
— M'Kay, Waitang
T. Patterson, Arowhenua
Woodin and Irvine, Orari
R. Taylor, Orari
W. Walden, Opawa
F. J. Wilson, Washdyke
Rae and Goodwin, Upper Ferry, Rangitata
The Bench made an alteration in the Ferry charges, viz., 1s 6d for foot passengers, and 3s for a horse, were in future to be charged. Robert Rae, Lower Ferry, Rangitata, was ordered to put up a sitting-room, and was given one month to comply with this order. Also, to keep two ferry-boats in working order from five a.m. to seven p.m. in the summer, and from seven a.m. to five p.m. in winter. NEW LICENSES. Thomas Newell made application for a Wine and Beer License for a house at Waimate. Granted. Mr Finn made application for a Conditional License for a house on the Waiho, situate between Waimate and Waitangi. The Bench promised to give the license on the 1st July next, if by that time the house is completed. SPECIAL CONSTABLES. All holders of conditional licenses were sworn in special constables.

Evening Post, 7 December 1922, Page 9
The death of a Canterbury pioneer, who came to New Zealand seventy-three years ago, Mrs. Mary Ann Rae, occurred recently at Woodbury, South Canterbury. Mrs. Rae was born at Macclesfield, Cheshire, and came out to this country with her parents in the ship Duke of Portland, landing in 1851, when she was eleven years of age. Six years later she was married at St. Michael's Church to Mr. E. Marshall, and shortly after, with her husband started by bullock dray for the Rangitata River. At first they lived in a tent, the timber for their house being pit-sawn in the Peel Forest. It afterwards became well known to the early settlers at the Upper Rangitata ferry. Four years later Mrs. Marshall lost her husband, being left with three children. In 1865 she was married to Mr. Robert Rae, and lived with him at the ferry for a while. Mr. Rae then built what was known as the Lower Rangitata Ferry House, which was on the direct line from Christchurch to the South. They ran this for a while and then took up land between Woodbury and Geraldine, building a house known as "Templer's." Later they built the present residence, "Raeburn," part of the material being taken from the original accommodation house at the ferry. Mr. Rae died about fifteen years ago, and lately his widow closed her long and adventurous life, and is buried in the Geraldine Cemetery. Mrs. Rae left a family of five sons and three daughters, all of whom are settled in the South Island. [Mrs Rae, died at age 83 years, on 17 Nov. 1922, a Presbyterian].

Mary Ann Marshall married Robert Rae in 1866.
Robert Rae died 21 Feb. 1907 and is buried at Geraldine. 

"The best pubs are run by their owners" JS 2012


Timaru Herald,  3 May 1871, Page 2 Tuesday, May 2. ANNUAL LICENSING DAY.
[Before B. Woollcombe, Esq., R.M., W. C. Beswick, H. Belfield, T. A. Clowes, and G. B. Parker, Esqrs., J.P.'s] The following licences were granted : —
General Licenses.
Edward Foden, Old Bank Tavern, Timaru
James M 'llwrick, Milford Inn, Milford
Peter D. M'Rae, Club Hotel, Timaru
Strong W. Morrison, Ship Hotel, Timaru

Hotel Licenses.
James Blythe, and James Sullivan, Royal Hotel, Timaru
John Melton, Timaru Hotel, Timaru
Alfred G. Stone, Commercial Hotel, Timaru

Country Hotel Licenses.
Samuel Burrows, Royal Hotel, Tenmka
Andrew Dow, Waimate Hotel, Waimate
Thomas Newell, Club Hotel, Waimate
Matilda Stranks, Crown Hotel, Temuka

Conditional Licenses.
Benjamin Bailey, Doncaster Hotel, Washdyke
James Copping, Lower Ferry Accommodation House, Rangitata
John V. Glasson, Arowhenua Hotel, Arowhenua
Samuel Goodwin, Upper Ferry, Rangitata
David Hamilton, Fairlie Creek
Stephen Hoskins, Otaio
Reuben Johnson, Geraldine
William B. Jones, Makikihi
Alexander, C. M'Allister, Opawa
James Paterson, Waitangi
Edward S. Rogers, Lake Tekapo
William Ross, Upper Ferry, Waitangi
Frank Slee, Saltwater Creek, near Timaru
John R. Stansell, Burke's Pass
Thomas Wadsworth, Orari.
Julia J. Walley, The Cave
Thomas Watkins, Pleasant Point
John A. Young, Waihi Crossing

Wine and Beer Licenses.
Thomas Driscoll, Hibernian Hotel, Timaru
George Osborne, Albion Dining Rooms, Timaru
Robert Taylor, Square and Compass, Timaru

The following licenses were refused :
John Muller, Mechanics' Hotel, Washdyke, general license
P. D. M'Rae, Timaru, hotel license
Robert M'Kay, Waimate, country hotel license
Thos. Patersop, Temuka, wine and beer license

Photo June 2009 by M.T.
The former Hibernian Hotel on Latter Street, off North Street and is now called Robbies. It has had a few face-lifts over the years. Thomas O'Discoll home was Lisava House, a Duval creation. Mr O'Driscoll who had the house built was the owner of the Hibernian Hotel but only lived in it a very short time after it was built as he died October 1891 of peritonitis at the age of 32.

New Zealand Tablet, 30 November 1877, Page 20
HIBERNIAN HOTEL, TIMARU. Thomas O'Driscoll - Proprietor. Good Accommodation for Boarders and Travellers. Private Rooms for Families. Good Stabling.

Timaru Herald, 7 June 1871, Page 5
New Hotel. We have been shown the plans for a new hotel, to be erected most probably on the site where the present modest building known as the Club now stands. The new building will measure some 60ft x 37ft, and will contain ample requirements for an hotel, combined will a family boarding-house. Mr Wiggins is the architect, and Mr McRae is to be the proprietor of the new building.

A good publican is a real caring person, he builds community.


Timaru Herald, 11 May 1870, Page 3
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that at the Annual Meeting of her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand held on the 3rd May, 1870, at the Resident Magistrate's Court-house, Timaru, in pursuance of "The Public House Ordinance 1866," and The Public House Ordinance Amendment Ordinance 1867," the following Public House Licenses were granted. GENERAL LICENSES.
Name of Applicant. Name of House. Situation.
Foden, Edward Old Bank Tavern Timaru
Mcllwrick, James Milford Inn Milford
McRae, Peter Daniel Club Hotel Timaru
Morrison, Strong Work Ship Hotel Timaru

HOTEL LICENSES.
Name of Applicant. Name of House. Situation.
Melton, John Timaru Hotel Timaru
Payne, Richard Montague Royal Hotel Timaru
Polson, George McLeod Commercial Hotel Timaru

COUNTRY HOTEL LICENSES.
Name of Applicant. Name of House. Situation.
Dyson, George Royal Hotel Temuka
McKay, Robert Waimate Hotel Waimate
Newell, Thomas Club Hotel Waimate
Stranks, William Crown Hotel Temuka

CONDITIONAL LICENSES.
Name of Applicant. Name of House. Situation.
Bailey, Benjamin Doncaster Hotel Washdyke
Bambridge, Augustus Shearers Arms Otaio
Brodie, James Redcliff Inn Redcliff
Glasson, John V. Arowhenua Hotel Arowhenua
Goodwin, Samuel Marshall's Upper Ferry Rangitata
Hamilton, Daniel Fairlie Creek Accommodation House Fairlie Creek
Johnson, Reuben Geraldine Hotel Geraldine
Jones, William Benjamin Makikihi Hotel Makikihi
Rae, Robert Lower Ferry Accommodation House Rangitata
Rogers, Edward Salter Tekapo Ferry Accommodation House Lake Tekapo
Ross, William Upper Ferry Accommodation House Waitangi
Stansell, John Rainbow Burkes Pass Accommodation House Burkes Pass
Walden, Jane P. Opawa Accommodation House Opawa
Valley, Julia Cave Acccommodation House The Cave
Warne, William Opihi Accommodation House Opihi
Watkins, Thomas Point Accommodation House Pleasant Point
Wilson, Charles Waihoa Inn Waihoa
Wooding, John Orari Accommodation House Orari
Young, John Albert Clarendon Hotel Waihi

REFRESHMENT LICENSES. Name of Applicant. Name of House. Situation.
Driscoll, Thomas Hibernian Hotel Timaru
Osborne, George Albion Pining Rooms Timaru
Taylor, Robert Square and Compass Timaru

THOMAS HOWLEY, Clerk to the Bench. Timaru, 7th May, 1870.


Timaru Herald, 7 May 1873, Page 4
ANNUAL LICENSING DAY. The following licenses were granted : —
GENERAL Licenses
Mary A. Foden, Old Bank Tavern, Timaru
Robert Stansell, Albion Dining Rooms, Timaru

HOTEL
W. A. and F. Hobbs, Clarendon Hotel, Timaru
John Melton, Timaru Hotel, Timaru
Thomas O. Driscoll, Hibernian Hotel, Timaru
James Sullivan, Royal Hotel, Timaru
Alfred G. Stone, Commercial Hotel, Timaru
B. Morrison, Ship Hotel, Timaru
Francis J. Wilson, Criterion Hotel, Timaru

COUNTRY HOTEL LICENSES
Francis Arenas, Crown Hotel, Temuka
Samuel Burrows, Royal Hotel, Temuka
William B. Jones, Waimate Hotel, Waimate
Thomas Newell, Club Hotel, Waimate
Michael Quinn, Star Hotel, Temuka

CONDITIONAL LICENSES
Benjamin Bailey, Doncaster Hotel, Washdyke.
James Copping, Lower Ferry Accommodation House, Rangitata
John V. Glasson, Arowhenua Hotel, Arowhenua
Samuel Goodwin, Upper Ferry Accommodation House, Rangitata
Thomas Wadsworth, Orari Hotel, Orari
John A. Young, Clarendon Hotel Waihi crossing.
Daniel Hamilton Clydesdale Hotel Fairlie Creek
Stephen Hosting, Otaio Inn Otaio
Rueben Johnson, Geraldine Hotel Geraldine
James McIlwrick, Point Accommodation House Pleasant Point
Robert McKay, Redcliff Inn Waitangi
Donald McLennan, Cave Arms, Cave
E. S. Rodgers, Ferry Accommodation House Lake Tekapo
William Ross Upper Ferry Hotel, Waitangi
Frank Slee, Sportsman's Arms Saltwater Creek
John R. Stansell, Three Creeks Hotel, Burkes' Pass

Wine and Beer
William Dixon Waimate Restaurant, Waimate
Edmund Perry, Bush Hotel, Geraldine.
Charles Thompson, Melville House, Timaru

Timaru Herald, 22 April 1874, Page 4 LICENSING COURT
The first annual licensing meeting under the new Act was held at the Magistrate's Court yesterday, before the Licensing Commissioners, B. Woollcombe, Esq., Resident Magistrate presiding, T. W. Hall, Esq., R. Tosswill, Esq., and E. Elworthy, Esq. The following licenses were granted :
WHOLESALE
Miles and Co., Timaru.
Hibbard and Cowan, Timaru
James Shepherd, Timaru
F. A. Sims, Timaru
F. W. Stubbs and Co., Timaru
J. H. Sutter, Timaru
Russell, Ritchie, and Co., Timaru
J. Mendelson, Temuka.
J. Mendelson, Pleasant Valley
Frederick Flatman, Waihi Bush
W. H. Grimmer. Geraldine
Manchester, Brothers and Goldsmith, Waimate
Leonard Price, Waimate
James Struchan, the Point
J. M. Martin, Temuka

GENERAL LICENSE
Mary Ann Foden, Old Bank Tavern, Timaru

HOTEL
Robert Stansell, Albion Dining Rooms, Timaru
W. and F. Hobbs, Clarendon Hotel, Timaru
Donald McLennan, Club Hotel, Timaru
Elizabeth Melton, Timaru Hotel, Timaru
Thomas O'Driscoll, Hibernian Hotel, Timaru
A. G. Stone, Commercial Hotel, Timaru
Charles Green, Ship Hotel, Timaru
James Sullivan, Royal Hotel, Timaru
J.R. Stansell, Criterion Hotel, Timaru

COUNTRY HOTEL
Francis Arenas, Crown Hotel Temuka
Samuel Burrows, Royal Hotel, Temuka
Michael Quinn, Star Hotel, Temuka
Reuben Johnston, Crown Hotel, Geraldine
Frederick Dawson, Geraldine Hotel
Helen Potter, Club Hotel, Waimate
Frank Slee, Waimate Hotel, Waimate

WINE AND BEER
Charles Thompson, Melville House, Timaru
Edmund Perry, Bush Hotel, Geraldine

CONDITIONAL
Benjamin Bailey, Doncaster Hotel, Washdyke
W. J. Fulton, Sportsman's Arms, Saltwater Creek
John V. Glasson, Arowhenua Hotel, Arowhenua
James Mcllwrick, Point Accommodation House, Pleasant Point
Josephus Murphy, Cave Arms, Mackenzie Country
Thomas Wadsworth, Orari Hotel, Orari
John A. Young, Clarendon Hotel, Waihi Crossing
Wm. Bird, Waihi Bush
Stephen Hoskins, Otaio Inn, Otaio
Michael Murphy, Makikihi Hotel, Makikihi
David Hamilton, Fairlie Creek, Mackenzie Country
John Burgess, Three Creeks Hotel, Burkes Pass
Andrew Cowan, Ferry Accommodation house, Lake Tekapo
Samuel Goodwin, Upper Ferry Accommodation-house Rangitata

BOTTLE LICENSES. The consideration of the applications for bottle licenses was adjourned till next Tuesday week. The following applications for licenses were refused : —
HOTEL. Thomas Watkins, Point.
CONDITIONAL. Frederick Dawson, Geraldine Hotel, Geraldine
Hugh O'Brien, Redcliff
David Ross, Waitangi
Murdoch McLerd, Opawa.
WINE AND BEER. William Dixon, Waimate.
Mr White appeared for Mr Watkins, but the Bench refused the application on the grounds that the house was not required. The Bench refused a conditional license to Frederick Dawson, but, granted him a country hotel license.

Timaru Herald, 12 November 1875, Page 3
Thomas Morgan was charged with larceny. Detective Walker said that he arrested prisoner at the Albion hotel, Timaru, on Tuesday last, on a charge of stealing fat, the property of John Rainbow Stansell, of the Criterion hotel. Accused said that ho took the fat, that he did not steal it, that he had a right to it, that he sold it to Cassidy for £1, and that the cook who was at the Criterion before him always had the fat. Mrs Stansell said that the prisoner spoke to her on one occasion about the quantity of fat, but did not say anything to her about what ho made out of it. She never authorised the cooks to give any fat away or sell it, and did not know that they were doing so. His Worship, in addressing the prisoner said that he had no more right to take the fat than he had to take anything else, but as he believed the fat was his perquisite, the case would be dismissed with this caution that the prisoner be careful in future to make an agreement about perquisites.

Timaru Herald, 27 June 1876, Page 7
The following applications were granted :—
John Meikle for a license for a new hotel on Cain's terrace
Michael Mullen, for a new license for Melville House
S. Morrison, for renewal of license for the Ship Hotel
Thomas Alexander, for renewal of license for the Royal Hotel
Donald McLennan, for the renewal of license for the Club Hotel
Thomas O'Driscoll, for renewal of license for the Hibernian Hotel
John Rainbow Stansell, for the renewal of license for the Criterion Hotel
Robert Stansell, for the transfer of license for the Albion Hotel to John Coll. George Stevens, for the renewal of license for the Lynwood Hotel
A. O. G. Stone, for the renewal of license for the Commercial Hotel
Walter Wood, for the renewal of license for the Old Bank Tavern
Charles Lewis, for the transfer of license for the Clarendon Hotel from F. Hobbs to himself

26 December 1879 Violence breaks out between Irish Catholics and Protestant Orangemen
In Christchurch, 30 Irishmen attacked an Orange procession with pick-handles, while in Timaru 150 men from Thomas O'Driscoll's Hibernian Hotel surrounded Orangemen and prevented their procession.

Hibernian - The Latin and poetic name for the island of Ireland. Of or pertaining to Hibernia, now Ireland; Irish.

Evening Post, 4 February 1878, Page 2
Timaru. 3rd February. A fire occurred at some stables near Saltwater Creek, Timaru, yesterday afternoon. The fire was discovered by a servant, who gave the alarm. An entire and another horse in the stables were rescued with difficulty. The Fire Brigade were quickly on the spot with their engine and horse-reel, and worked with promptitude. The fire was confined to the building and two or three sheds. The hotel, which is close by, narrowly escaped. The origin of the fire is unknown. The building was insured in the South British Insurance Company. The extent of the damage dove is estimated at £200.

North Otago Times, 5 March 1879, Page 2
An impudent robbery of a pocket-book, containing L 34, took place at the Saltwater Creek Hotel, near Timaru, on Sunday last. The pocket-book and money belonged to the barman, and the former was in the breast pocket of his coat, which was hung up in the hotel for a short time. The barman discovered that his coat was missing, and went after some threshing machine men who had been in the house that morning. He found them all at their camp save one, a man named Harry Williams, whom he afterwards traced to Timaru. He was found asleep and the worse for liquor in one of the boardinghouses in the evening, and his pursuer communicated with Detective Neill. The detective went into the man's room and found the barman's coat and 24 LI notes. He then arrested the prisoner, and afterwards discovered that he had changed two L10 notes in the town that afternoon. Williams was brought up at the Magistrate's Court yesterday morning and remanded till Friday next.

Evening Post, 29 April 1880, Page 2
Henry Gardner, landlord of the Sportsmen's Arms, Saltwater Creek, was prosecuted for supplying beer and brandy to drunken men, but the case broke down.

Wanganui Herald
, 11 June 1881, Page 2
June 11, The Sportsmen's Arms Hotel, Saltwater, Creek, has been burned down. Insured for, £1200 in the South British.

Evening Post, 7 July 1896, Page 6
At a meeting of the creditors of Harry Gardner, farmer and publican, who levanted some time ago, unsecured debts amounting to £1300 were mentioned. The properties under mortgage are expected to yield such a surplus as to provide a substantial dividend. It is estimated that the bankrupt took away about £6000. One creditor said he knew Gardner was going away, but he dare not open his mouth for fear of an action for damages for slander. The bankrupt kept the Saltwater Creek Hotel, and also owned that at Burkes Pass.

Taranaki Herald, 27 May 1904, Page 7
An information has been laid against Gardner, licensee of the Saltwater Creek Hotel for stealing sheep from an accommodation paddock at his hotel.

May 17. 1885. By a fire at Saltwater Creek, a stable with three horses and a number of other valuable contents, was totally destroyed. The insurances were Ll50 in the Royal. The estimated loss is fully Ll50 more.


North Otago Times, 14 April 1864, Page 4
Last week a Lisencing Meeting was held at the Court House, Timaru, when Mr. Allen was granted an hotel lisence for his house in the government township it being the first lisence granted in that locality.

North Otago Times, 9 August 1867, Page 2
Timaru, 1st August. On dit that the Royal Hotel has changed hands, and that the purchaser is a Mr M'Glashan of Dunedin.

Police Gazette, Canterbury Province, Saturday May 1, 1869
Stolen from the Timaru Hotel, Timaru, between the 25th March last, and 7th ultimo, the property of Henry Hooper, the landlord, four Irish linen sheets, each 10 feet 3 inches long, by 7 feet 9 inches wide, "Prince of Wales Hotel," in marking ink on the corner of each.

North Otago Times, 4 June 1879, Page 2
At the Licensing Court to-day one new license, viz., for an hotel at Albury, was granted.

Timaru Herald, 23 June 1876, Page 2
The lease of a blacksmith's shop, Temuka, now in the occupation of Mr Titmus ; also blacksmith's tools.

Timaru Herald, 5 June 1878, Page 4 LICENSING COURT.
Timaru — Tuesday, June 4. (Before B. Woolloombe, Esq., Chairman, H. Belfield, T. W. Hall, Licensing . Commissioners) . The annual sitting of the Licensing Court for the Town of Timaru, Levels and Mount Cook licensing districts, was held yesterday in the Resident Magistrate's Court
TOWN HOTELS.
A renewal of the licenses for the following town hotels was granted : —
Royal Hotel, Thomas Alexander
Lynwood Hotel, R. Dearely
Ship Hotel, Charle Green
Grosvenor Hotel, J. Meikle
Timaru Hotel, E. Melton
Melvile Hotel, M. Mullins
Hibernian Hotel, T. O'Driscoll
Commercial Hotel, A. G. Stone

A transfer of the licenses of the following town hotels was granted:
Old Bank Hotel, from C. W. Wood to R. Cole
Clarendon Hotel, from C. Lewis to W. L. Edwards
Criterion Hotel, from J. R. Stansell to J J. Murphy
Albion Hotel, from J. Coll to W. O'Brien

COUNTRY HOTELS. The licenses of the following country hotels were renewed: —
Fairlie Creek Hotel, C. Wedderell
Doncaster Arms' Hotel, J. McBeth
Sportsman's Arms Hotel, J. McGimpsey
Upper Ferry Hotel, W.O. Ross
Silverstream Hotel, G. Stevens
Three Stream Hotel, P. Stock
Arowhenua Hotel, M. Spillane
A transfer of the following licenses Were granted :
Point Hotel, from Henry Davis to M. McLeod
Cave Hotel, from W. Corlett to John Wildermoth
Railway Hotel, Pleasant Point, from W. L. Edwards to M. McKinnon
Applications adjourned
The application of J. Lilly for the license for the Opawa Hotel, and of M. McLeod for the license of the Ferry Hotel, Lake Tekapo, were adjourned until the 25th inst.

Evening Post, 4 June 1879, Page 2
Timaru , 3rd June. At the annual meeting of the Licensing Court to-day, all the applications were granted, excepting Mr. A. Bugan's for a transfer of the Albion Hotel to Griffiths, which was adjourned for 14 day, the Bench stating they had resolved not to grant a license until the new house was built.

Timaru Herald April 28 1881
Criterion Hotel - Messrs G. and S. Newey, proprietors

North Otago Times, 15 July 1882, Page 2
Timaru. July 14. The New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, in connection with other firms, to-day sold by auction a large quantity of town and country sections. A block at the corner of the Main South Road and Strathallan street, consisting of three-eighths of an acre, with the Ship Hotel and some smaller buildings on, was sold to Charles Green for L13,500. The majority of the other sections realised equally satisfactory prices.

Timaru Herald June 28 1886 pg 3 Hotels
Grosvenor, Walter F. Brown, proprietor (Successor to J.D. Kett)
Masonic Hotel (opposite Railway Station St. Andrews), Chas. Wederell (eight years proprietor of the Fairlie Creek Hotel) [the pub at St Andrews - restored in 2009]
Melville Hotel, Main North Road, Timaru
Ship Hotel, corner Main Road and Strathallan St, Timaru, Charles Green, proprietor.
Timaru Hotel, Timaru. Frank White, proprietor

Star 15 July 1882, Page 3
The N.Z. Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, any, in connection with other firms, yesterday sold by auction, at Timaru, a large quantity of town and country sections. A block at the corner of the Main South Road and Strathallan street, consisting of three eighths of an acre, with the Ship Hotel and some smaller buildings on it, was sold to Mr Moody, agent for Mrs Green, for £13,500. The majority of the other sections realised equally satisfactory prices.

Evening Post, 9 June 1891, Page 2
Timaru, 8th June. At the licensing meeting for Timaru today eleven out of thirteen licenses were renewed, and two were adjourned for 14 days — one, the Clarendon, for further consideration of rebuilding , the other because part of the hotel (the Club) has been leased to a private Club, which the Committee, hold to be illegal. They informed the licensee he must get rid of the Club or sever from it altogether and apply for a license for the rest of the house. The question of extra bars was raised by the Inspector, and the Committee agreed to go round and decide which are technically public bars. The license were cautioned as regards Sunday trading and gambling, and the Committee suggested an agreement to absolutely close bars on Sundays, and they would not consider it an offence against the license if any license was convicted and punished for refusing to supply travellers.

Evening Post, 5 March 1892, Page 4
Timaru, 4th March. The license of the Empire Hotel, in which a bar opened on New Year's Day, was warned to-day by the Licensing Committee that if the house was not famished in 14 days the license would probably be cancelled. They refused to extend the time to one month.

North Otago Times, 4 June 1892, Page 3
Timaru. June 3. At a prohibition mooting on Wednesday the Rev. Gillies fluid that there was an understanding between the publicans and the Licensing Committee last June, and that the severe lecture and threats of the latter were not to be taken seriously. The Chairman of the Committee to-day, at the request of his colleagues, referred to the statements as vindictive and untrue. He challenged Mr Gillies to prove them or be branded as a vindictive slanderer. At the Timaru borough licensing meeting all the licenses were renewed. The chairman made strong remarks in reply to the insinuations by the Rev. Gillies at a prohibitionist meeting a few days ago. This afternoon Egan licensee of the Royal Hotel, was charged with supplying intoxicating liquor to a drunken man. The case was dismissed. The witnesses for the Crown could not say what was supplied. The customer was too drunk to know. Mrs Egan and a barmaid, who each served him with schnapps, swore they gave him one ginger ale and the other soda, water. The case was dismissed.

Timaru Herald, 3 April 1894, Page 2
A couple of changes of proprietorship in hotel property took place yesterday morning, Mr Peter O'Meeghan has bought out Mr John Meikle, of the Grosvenor Hotel, and Mr Michael O'Meeghan becomes the landlord of the Old Bank Hotel in succession to his brother. We understand that the Club Hotel is also to change hands, Mr D. McGuinnees having sold out to Mrs E. Smith, who takes possession on May 1st.

Timaru Herald, 23 May 1894, Page 2
We learn that the Tekapo Hotel, lake Tekapo, has just changed hands, Messrs John Bain and D. McMaster having taken it over from Mr Donald McMillan. Mr McMillan has been at the Tekapo for a little over 12 years, and is well and favourably known, among residents of South Canterbury, and all who have had occasion either on pleasure or business to visit the famed Mount Cook district. Mr McMillan has bought Rona farm, below Burke's Pass, where he hopes to till have the opportunity of welcoming many of his old friends.

Evening Post,  2 June 1894, Page 2
Timaru, 1st June. The Timaru Licensing Committee granted all renewals till 11 o'clock. An objection was made against Moore, of the Empire Hotel, as of " bad fame and character," the objection being based on the evidence in a case lately before the District Court. Counsel argued that, even assuming the applicant had told a falsehood, this did not affect his fame and character as a hotelkeeper. The renewal was granted on condition that a transfer is effected before the next quarterly meeting.

Timaru Herald, 12 March 1891, Page 3
SHEEP FOR SALE. 350 Fat Down Ewes. 120 Down lambs (mixed sexes). For sale Privately by A. KINNIMONT, Sherwood Homestead, Makikihi.

In November 1895 he was the proprietor of the Winchester Hotel.
Andrew Kininmont held a publican's license for the Criterion Hotel, Timaru from August 1896 until May 1897.

Timaru Herald, 23 February 1897, Page 3 IN BANKRUPTCY.
RE MARY FARRELL. A meeting of creditors of Mary Farrell, late hotel keeper, was called for yesterday 7 morning, but as only two proved creditors; attended (three being required to form a quorum) the meeting was adjourned sine die. The bankrupt's statement showed that she owed £174 9s 2d, all unsecured. The bankrupt, in reply to the Deputy Assignee, stated that she carried on the Criterion Hotel for three years and seven months. She had £300 in hand when she began, and borrowed £300 more from the Crown Brewery Company. Paid £611 to go in, and received £450 on going out, thus losing £161 of the purchase money. She also lost money in carrying on the business, but could not say how much. Was out of business three months and then took the Winchester Hotel and had it about seven months. It cost £233 to go in, of which £120 was got from the Crown Brewery Company. Received £208 on going, out, losing £25 on this transaction. The bankrupt attributed her difficulties to bad trade.

Otago Witness, 13 October 1898, Page 17
Timaru, October 7. Goulding, licensee of the Queen's Hotel, was fined £5 and had his license endorsed for Sunday trading. Constable Whatman saw sixteen men enter the backyard in the space of half an hour, and, going in himself through the kitchen, found two men at the bar slide with glasses. The defence was that the supply was a gift, but Captain Wray, S.M., put this aside.

Timaru Herald, 9 June 1899, Page 3 WAITAKI LICENSING COMMITEE.
The annual meeting of the Waitaki Licensing Committee was held on Tuesday. There were present— Major Keddel, R.M., and Messrs G. Miller, Morton, McGregor and Hall. Publicans licenses were granted as follows :
H. Middleton, Royal Hotel
Samuel Binney, Criterion Hotel
P. Dooley, Waimate Hotel
and J. O'Leary, Empire Hotel, Waimate
R. Hassal, Kurow Hotel
and I J. O'Neill. Railway Hotel, Kurow
P. Maloney, Sandhurst
J. Sullivan and A. Gilmour, Fairlie
J. Pringle and R. Orr, Duntroon
C. Wederell, St, Andrews
J. T. Bourne, Makikihi
J. Henderson, Glenay
and H. K. Mann, Studholme
- Accommodation licenses were granted as follows :
H. P. Mannaton, Lake Pukaki
J. P. Robson, Lake Tekapo
D. McMillan, Burkes Pass
J. Lawlor, Silverstream
D. McPherson, Waihao Forks
Mrs McWhinney, Redcliff
S. Munro, Otematata
J. Richmond, Whurekuri
A. Ross, Hermitage
and J W. G. Munro, Oamaru
A wholesale , license was granted to Mr S. Collett, Waimate. The transfer from G. Cosgrove to J. T. Bourne, of the Makikihi Hotel was granted. With to the of application of J. Pickersgill, of Georgetown, Sergeant O'Grady, on behalf of the police, objected to the renewal of the license, as applicant was not fit to take charge of an hotel. Mr Lee appeared for Pickersgill. Sergeant O'Grady called Constable Graham, William Renwick, and D. Bagshaw to prove the charges, and the committee decided to refuse the license unless a suitable person be found in three months to take over the house.

Evening Post, 8 June 1909, Page 4
Timaru, 7th June. The annual meeting of the Timaru Licensing Committee was held to-day. The police report was favourable in all cases except three, wherein ancient wooden buildings were reported, and out-of-date fire escapes of knotted rope. The case of one of these — the Hibernian, in town and the cases of the other two in the country, were adjourned. All other licenses were granted. 

Werry's Private Hotel, George Street, Timaru. Wm Ferrier  photographer, 1912.

Real photo postcard by Ferrier.

"This popular Private Hotel is close to the Railway Station, and affords Excellent Accommodation for Travellers and Tourists. Tariff moderate. Letters and Telegrams promptly attended to. M. Werry, proprietress."

1893 Hotels
Pleasant 	Point: Point; Royal
Fairlie: 	Gladstone, Fairlie Creek
Winchester: 	Worlsely Arms (comfortable)
Temuka: 	Crown and others.
Timaru: 	Grosvenor, Queen's and others

Taranaki Herald, 30 December 1885, Page 2
Timaru, December 80. The Cave Hotel, about 20 miles from Timaru, was totally destroyed by fire yesterday morning. Several occupants had a narrow escape.

Tuapeka Times, 21 July 1909, Page 4
One hotel in the no license area, and not 100 miles from Eketahuna, was found the other day to be draped in crape. The following epitaph, written in bold letters, now confronts passers-by : "Gone, but not forgotten."

Waimate's Empire Hotel (1883)

Te Aroha News, 26 September 1888, Page 2
LIFE IN A NUTSHELL.
Life is but an inn where travellers stay ;
Some only breakfast, then away ;
Others to dinner stay, and are full fed ;
The oldest only sup, and go to bed.
Long is his bill who lingers out the day,
He who goes the soonest, has the least to pay.

Southland Times 1 January 1904, Page 5
Something like half a century has passed since "Pop goes the weasel! " was a current catchword of the streets, as part of the then popular refrain —

Up and down the City Road,
In and out the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes,
Pop goes the weasel!

This was no mere meaningless jingle of words, for when these lined were written, and had their day, the word "weasel " had a slang significance which gave to this doggerel verso in very real significance. "Weasel" was then the London slang term for the common or kitchen flat-iron. This at once throws a flood of light upon the context. We have a picture of some idle ne'er do-well, wasting time loosely in the City Road, frequenting the Eagle tavern, and reduced by these courses to such poverty as to "pop " or pawn the family flat-iron.

Pubs and churches are two contrasting premises - they were the cornerstones of old rural South Canterbury towns. I haven't found a place yet that doesn't have one of the two.


Timaru Herald, 3 February 1869, Page 3
TO THE LADIES OF TIMARU.
Of early closing, ladies, we would speak :
Your kindly aid and sympathy would seek,
That we our business premises might close
At seven each night, is what we would propose.

Now, you must all acknowledge it is true
Without your aid that we cannot do ;
But if you wish to make our evenings brighter,
'Tis in your power our labours to make lighter.

The benefit of such a course is plain,:
And its results will bring no loss of gain ;
The misters and their servants will find time
To seek for knowledge, and its branches climb.

But, unity is strength. You must unite,
As well as say that what we want is right;
And never fail to have your wants supplied
Before the hour for closing has arrived.

With willing hearts and hands we will supply
Whatever you have got a mind to buy;
And never fail to thank you for adhering
To early closing, with its pleasures cheering.

Let musters with the public, then, unite,
To make the labours of their servants light,
By closing during winter nights at, seven,
And never keeping open till eleven.
PRO BONO PUBLICO - Timaru.

South CanterburyGenWeb Project