Arrival of the "Royal Stuart" 1855
F.G. Tadman, Commander
This splendid ship left Plymouth on the evening of October 9th last, with 29 first, 37 second, and 36 steerage passengers, also with 650 tons of general cargo. Owning to the skill of the Captain the passage has been one of unprecedented speed, passing Otago on the 2nd inst, being 83 days only from land. Diary
Eight days after leaving Plymouth the island of Madeira was sighted. The line was passed on the morning of the 4th of November, 25 days from Plymouth. The God of the Deep then paid his accustomed visit, and found all his "Sons" happy and prosperous. On the 1st December, in Lat. 46.30 south, a large iceberg, said to be 800 feet long and 112 feet high, was passed at a distance of two miles. The thermometer was 35.5�F.
We understand the voyage was passed most agreeably by the passengers, who enjoyed excellent health, the only melancholy casualty being the health of the Surgeon (Twining), who died on entering the harbour. He suffered much all the passage from a broken rib (caused by a fall some years since) pressing on his lungs. We hear he was nearly sixty years of age. Messrs. Young and Co. acted very unwisely in committing the charge of so many valuable lives to a gentleman who, however great his professional skill, owning to his age and infirmities, would have been unable to attend to any serious illness if such had unfortunately broken out. This is more culpable when so many young and capable men can be easily obtained in England.
We are happy to welcome amongst the passengers our old colonists Messrs. Cholmondeley, Heywood. Paul, and White. Tasmania
The passengers were most agreeably surprised at the beauty of the country and the delighted climate of Canterbury. From a Correspondent.
DIED - On Thursday last, January 4th, on board the ship Royal Stuart, aged 59 years, Mr. David F. Twining, surgeon of the above vessel. Source: Lyttelton Times 6 January 1855January 4, Royal Stuart, Tadman, from London: Passengers in cuddy: Acland Mr (diary) Bennett Mr Daw Mr Fletcher Miss Fletcher Mrs Freeland Mr Gould Mr Harding Mr and Mrs Heywood Mr Hodgson Mr Maude Mr (2) Mitchell Miss Pearson Miss Teschmaker Mrs and 2 sons Tripp Mr White Mr Wood Mr and MrsPassengers in the second cabin: Brown A., Selina, Matilda and Eliza Cholmondeley T. Mr Compton John, Andrew and Charles Haymoin Caroline, Mary and Matilda Hubbard Charles, Jane, Sarah, John C., and Frank, Laing Peter, Johanna, Margaret and John Pigeon A. Mr Rickman Mr. and Mrs and child Rumbold H.F. John, and Ellen E. Smith M.A. Mr Threkeld P. Mr Walker Good Edward, Sarah, Edward R., and Sarah
And 36 passengers the steerage.
Another passenger - Henry Poingdestre
Frederick George Tadman was probably born 1828 at a farmhouse called Oakleigh, near the small Kent village of Higham. His family had lived in Kent since at least the mid 1600's and had been wealthy Yeoman farmers in Higham since the mid 1700's. Though a farming family they had connections to the sea, Frederick's father had two cousins who sailed with the British East India Company, one being lost with his ship in the China seas. Another of his father's cousin was a ship owner, probably in the East Coast coal trade between Kent and Yorkshire. Frederick probably never married and when he died and his branch of the family seem to have died out by the end of the 1800's as there are no Tadmans to be found in Higham today.
The date of Frederick's death on the Tadman family tomb in the churchyard of St Mary's, Higham, is given as August 1864 (this may not be very accurate) and he is not interred with the rest of the family, which is quite unusual. This suggests the possibility that his death is linked to the loss of the Royal Stuart, either he went down with the ship, or died of injuries as a result of the sinking. One of Frederick's cousins also made the journey to the antipodes, this time as an emigrant to Australia. Info courtesy of Fiona MacNaught Posted 17 April 2001.
John Barton Arundel Acland 1823-1904
Barrister, sheep farmer, and politician. The first of the Acland family in New Zealand. Sixth son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, 10th baronet of Killerton. Born in Killerton, studied law in London. Came to New Zealand with C. G. Tripp, on the Royal Stuart, arriving in Lyttelton in January 1855. Together they started their own sheep station at Mount Peel, and during the next 3-4 years increased their holding to about 250,000 acres, including Mount Peel, Mount Somers, Mount Possession and Orari Gorge. In 1862 they dissolved the partnership, and Acland took the Mount Peel property of 100,000 acres which he named Holnicote. In 1860 he married Emily Weddell Harper (eldest daughter of Bishop Harper).
Mr F.W. Teschemaker, M.H.R. was born on the 16th March, 1834, be that he was in his forty-fifth year at the time of his death from typhoid. He landed in New Zealand in 1855, and in 1859 settled in the Mackenzie Country at Haldon Station, which he and his brother first stocked and farmed. They sold Haldon in 1868, and settled on the estate at the Otaio, in connection with which he was so well known. Mr Teschemaker had a seat in the Provincial Council of Canterbury for some years, and in 1875 was elected member of the House of Representatives for Gladstone, in the place of Mr G. B. Parker.
All three are buried at the Timaru Cemetery.
Frederick William Teschemaker died at Wellington Nov. 21st 1878, aged 45 years. Interment, Timaru Cemetery Saturday, 23 November 1878
his mother Henrietta Teschemaker died at Oaio Station, March 29th 1882 aged 81 years.
Thomas John Teschemaker, Otaio, born Devonshire, August 2nd 1840. Died at Christchurch, June 22nd 1919. Sèon
Timaru Herald, 3 December 1878, Page 6
DEATH OF MR F. W. TESCHEMAKER, M.H.R.
The melancholy news of the death of Mr F.W. Teschemaker, which occurred on Thursday Nov. 21, at "Wellington, will, we are sure be received with deep regret by all our readers. He was seized on the first of this month, the day of the prorogation, with a sudden illness which developed into typhoid fever accompanied by inflammation of the intestines. After undergoing a very severe attack, he appeared to have got the mastery of the malady, and, though much prostrated and reduced, was thought to need nothing but rust and quiet in order to recover. During the present week, he sent several messages to his friends here, slating that he was getting better and speaking hopefully and cheerfully of his condition. Yesterday morning, however, a sudden collapse occurred, which is attributed by his medical attendants to one of the results of the severest forms of typhoid fever, namely perforation of the intestines, and breathed his last at a quarter past eight o'clock. Mr Teschemaker was born on the 16th March, 1834, be that he was in his forty-fifth year at the time of his death. He landed in New Zealand in 1855, and in 1859 Bottled in the Mackenzie Country at Haldon Station, which he and his brother first stocked and farmed. They sold Haldon in 1868, and settled on the estate at the Otaio, in connection with which he was so well known. Mr Teschemaker had a seat in the Provincial Council of Canterbury for some years, and in 1875 was elected member of the House of Representatives for Gladstone, in the place of Mr G. B. Parker. His sad death, while still in the prime of life, will spread a gloom over a wide circle of all classes of society in this district, for not one of our settlers was more generally respected or more heartily liked than he was. His manly, kindly bearing to all who came in contact with him, won him universal regard, while the keen and active interest which he took in all sporting and pastoral and agricultural matters, made him an invaluable colonist. As a politician, Mr Teschemaker was a singularly reticent man, but his patient industry and intimate knowledge of special subjects affecting rural districts, made him, nevertheless, far more useful and influential than many whose speeches attract public attention. In him South Canterbury loses a representative who will not easily be replaced, whilst it is not too much to say that the whole of the community of whom he has been a member for nearly a quarter of a century, feel that they have lost a dear and valued friend.
The body of the late Mr Teschemaker, which had been brought down from Wellington the previous day, was buried on Tuesday afternoon in the Timaru cemetery. His friends assembled in St. Mary's Church, at two o'clock, to the number of several hundreds, the church being almost full. Among them were to he seen oil the oldest settlers in this district, � for the late Mr Teschemaker was known and beloved by all classes of society � including some of his fellow passengers on his original voyage from England, many having come from long distances, to pay this last mark of respect to their friend. A great many from Christchurch and Oamaru also attended. Of the members of the General Assembly there were the Honorable T. H. Wigley, and Messrs Murray Aynsley, Hislop, Richardson, Bowen, J. E. Brown, and Wakefield. The members of the South Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club, of whom the late Mr Teschemaker had been from the first one of the most active and enthusiastic companions, were present to the number of thirty-five or forty, wearing the black and gold badge of the Club. The coffin was placed in the centre of the nave und transept of the church, and was decorated with wreaths and crosses of emblematic flowers, the side panels being inscribed with the motto of the Athletic Club � Virtus Omnia Vincit,� in black letters on a gold ground. The Archdeacon of Timaru and the Reverend J. Coates, Incumbent of Waimate, officiated ; St. Mary's choir conducting the choral part of the obsequies. At the conclusion of the first part of the service, the coffin was carried by the members of the Athletic Club to the hearse, and the funeral procession passed through the town to the cemetery on foot, the relatives of the deceased following in a closed carriage. The shops and places of business were closed, and the blinds of private houses drawn down. At the gate of the cemetery the Athletic Club again took charge of their friend's honored remains, and carried them to the grave, which had been formed into a vault with substantial brickwork. The Archdeacon, the incumbent of Waimate, and the choir of St. Mary's then proceeded with the service for the burial of the dead, in which the dense assemblage around the grave took part. The coffin having been lowered into its place by the oldest members of the Athletic Club, and the service concluded, the friends of the deceased clustered round the grave to take a last look at the resting place, and lingered there for some time, unwilling to part from one whom they so much loved and respected. It is gratifying to know that though Mr Teschemaker died under such sad circumstances, far away from home and friends, he yet was watched over with the kindliest cure during his painful illness. Several members of the Assembly remained behind after the prorogation, to see to his needs, and amongst those who rendered him the most constant and delicate attentions were Lord Norman by and his family. If, indeed, the sufferer had been their own son, the Governor and Lady Normanby could not have been more constant or thoughtful in their care of him. Thedeathof this honorable, | gentle, large-hearted man is regarded throughout this district with poignant sorrow. It. re- i moves from amongst us in the prime of life, one of the worthiest, and most promising of our settlers, and makes one more gap in that circle of old friends and neighbours who bore together the struggles and vicissitudes of the early days, and cast in their lot for good and all, with the interests of the country in which they made their home.
Ashburton Guardian, 23 June 1919, Page 5
Mr Thomas J. Teschemaker. who died at his residence, Middleton, at 8.30 yesterday morning, possessed all the attributes and energies of the best class of pioneers. At the ago of- 16 he came out to New .Zealand in the ship Royal Stuart with his mother and elder brother, arriving at Lyttelton an January, 1855. Among the fellow-passengers on the voyage were the late Mr J. B. Acland and the late Mr Charles Tripp. Soon after the Teschemaker brothers acquired a selection at the Seven Mile .Keg, Belfast. in those days horses were only possessed by the fortunate few, and, in common with the majority of the farmers, the young colonists had to do the first ploughing with bullock teams. After about two years the Teschemakers sold the Belfast farm, and the two young brothers, blessed with indomitable natures, a spirit of enterprise, and the physical strength characteristic of the .successful pioneer,, drove their bullock team into the lonely Mackenzie Country, where they, in May, 1858, took up the Halden station. The lads were among the first settlers in the Mackenzie Country. Their first winter there was a most trying one. The sods were so wet that it was impossible to build a "sod-hut" more than" four or five feet high with canvas for a roof. When fine weather came a "cob" house was erected. Mr H. J. Le Cren came into the partnership, and Halden station was worked by them till early in 1868, when the property was sold to Messrs Smith, Wallace, and Dennistoun. Messrs Teschemaker Bros, and Le Cren then acquired the Otaio estate, of 92,000 acres leasehold, with 30,000 sheep, from Thompson Bros., and a few years later 18,000 acres were converted into freehold. Mr F. W. Teschemaker, who entered into politics, and was for several years a member of the House of Representatives, died in Wellington in 1878, and Mr Le Cren having gone out of the partnership, Mr Thos. Teschemaker carried on the Otaio estate alone. His extensive purchases of grazing land at fairly high prices at a-time when there were no freezing works, and very little outside markets, showed that he possessed an enterprising nature, yet a shrewd sense of the outcome of New Zealand's development. About 14 years' ago he commenced to dispose of his land properties to the Crown for closer settlement, and eventually the balance of Otaio estate, except 540 acres comprising the homestead block�which the Government declined to purchase en account of the extensive buildings thereon�was sold to the Crown. Mr. Teschemaker eventually parted with the fine homestead block on Otaio, and 10 years ago, retiring from active land pursuits he built a residence at Middleton, where he lived for the remainder of his life. The late Mr Teschemaker was a keen sportsman, and in his offices of different Jockey Clubs, was noted for his honest dealing and fearless attitude he at different times took up for the sake of clean sport. He. was one of the originators of the Grand National Steeplechase, which was first started in Timaru early in the 70s. For several years he was chairman of the South Canterbury Jockey Club, and was also one of the oldest members of the Canterbury Jockey Club, becoming a member in 1885. He was the oldest steward, being elected in 1888 and continuing to hold office till the time of his death.
Mr Teschemaker was a class steward in the Timaru A. and P. Association for 45 years in succession, and was also a member of several local bodies. He was also on the Board of Directors of the New Zealand Refrigerating Company, and a director in the Permanent Investment Association. Despite his advanced age of 80 years, he possessed remarkable vitality and energy, and took an active interest in the many institutions with which he was connected right up to the time of his death. He was a liberal giver to all good causes, and in many respects assisted the Anglican Church, of which he was a member, in its social work. The late Mr Teschemaker was married in 1897 to the eldest daughter of the late Hon. Wm. Rolleston, and is survived by his widow and three daughters.
The Royal Stuart, 723 tons, of wooden construction, built by Sutherlands, England, in 1851, official #21899, length 45.4m, beam 9.75m, draft 6.4m, was wrecked on the Capricorn Reef, Torres Strait, in May/June 1864, while on passage from Auckland to Madras. On the 12th June 1864 the Marie Laurie put into Port Louis, Mauritius, with the crew of the Royal Stuart, which had been wrecked in Torres Strait.
South CanterburyGenWeb Project
This page may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion except for private study.
Daily Southern Cross, 1 May 1857, Page 2
WELLINGTON. Cleared Outwards
March 27� Indian Queen, ship, 1060 tons, for Hobart Town.
March 28� Oliver Lang, ship, 1224 tons, Mundle, for Liverpool. Passengers � Mr. and Mrs. Seymour, Mrs. and Miss Travers, Captain C. Hunter, Mrs. Hope, Mr. and Mrs Hewitt, Mr. and Mrs. Hooper, Miss Dodson, Mrs Baker, Master Strong, Mr. O. H. Hope, Mrs. Dampier, Mr. Studholme, Mr. Kennaway, (2) Mrs. Teschemaker, Mr. Ackland, Mr. Pike, Mr. Haylock, G. B. Rogers, Coyle, Landers, (3) Master J. K. Warburton, Mr. and Mrs. Watson, Miss Hooper, Miss Watson (2) Master Watson, Mr. J. Wilkie, A. Williamson, J. G. Cox, T. Bateman, J. S. Stuart, Mr. and Mrs. Servantes, Capt. J. Gordon, Mrs. Deacon, Dr. Gray, Mr. H. L. Peake, W. H. Long, F. Duncan, E. Pearce, R. Dodd, Master C. Gold, Mrs. Bethune, Miss Bethune, Mrs. Roberts and 5 children, Rev. H. Govett and 4 children, Miss I. Hunter.
Looks like the Acland family returned by Contarf in 1859