Search billions of records on

Runaways in Timaru - lively horse bolts - map it

Southland Times 24 November 1883, Page 2 Gone For the Mail?
The South Canterbury Times gives to the world the following startling par:- Last evening about office-closing time, a horse was observed galloping down Church street with a tether rope round his neck. He went down Strathallan street, and turned into Cain's terrace disappearing somewhere in the direction of the post-office.

Timaru Herald, 11 February 1884, Page 2
A runaway. Yesterday a young man, whose name we did not ascertain, hired a buggy and pair at Mr Lukey's stables, to take a couple of young ladies for a drive. The horses were somewhat fresh, and the driver was cautioned to keep them well in hand and apply the brake when going down hill. No sooner had they left, the stables, than, the warning was neglected, and instead of keeping the horses, in hand, the man lot them go, and, going northwards, they bolted down the hill to George street, and continued at full speed up the Main Road. Mr Lukey mounted a horse and overt took the, runaways at the Melville corner, as they had slackened speed in going up the hill, and assisted the driver to stop them. He again cautioned the driver to be careful, but the latter appeared to disregard the warning, for scarcely had, Mr Lukey turned back than the horses set off again. They went down the hill post Mr Elworthy's at a rapid rate, and then galloped along the flat and up to Maori Hill. Here they turned into a bye road to the left, where very soon a capsize occurred, the riders found themselves on the ground, shaken but not much hurt and a few moments, everything but the cushions of a £50 buggy was reduced to splinters. The occupants of the vehicle were fortunate in escaping serious injury, and the horses also escaped material damage.

Where is Melville Corner in Timaru? Maybe there was a hotel there?


map opens in another window

Timaru Herald, 27 July 1900, Page 2
A lively and destructive runaway happened yesterday. A horse in a light trap belonging to Mrs Husband, of Page's Road, in charge of a youth, was tied up by the bridle at a house up Arthur Street. The horse pulled off its bridle and bolted, going down Arthur and Strathallan Streets without a mishap. It then turned along the railway station, and following the fence was unable to turn out of the corner safely. Archie McDonald's express was standing at the corner, with the horses' heads next the building, and the trap and horse tried to pass between the pair and the building, with the result that the trap collided with the express horses, snapping off the pole, and capsizing McDonald, who was at the horses' heads. Several people tried to stop the runaway, but as it had no bridle on there was nothing to hang on to. It made its way into the railway yard, and there soon came to grief, with a bad break up of the cart, both shafts being broken off, one wheel ruined, and sundry other damage done. The horse started back again, carrying one shaft, but was bailed up and caught where he had collided with the express. The expressman was himself in fix, but several persons lent a hand to clear his horses, as he was incapable of doing anything himself.

Timaru Herald, 10 August 1880, Page 2
Yesterday morning as Mr O'Dowd, baker of Woollcombe street, was loading his cart with broad in the street opposite the shop, the horse took it into his head to start off on his own account, towards Barnard street. Mr O'Dowd ran after him, and succeeded in catching the reins, but being somehow thrown down, was obliged to lot them go. An unsuccessful attempt was made by a bystander to bring him up at the corner of Barnard street, and the animal then set off as hard as he could up the street. He ran to the further side of North street, and making a sharp turn to avoid the Police Station, he capsized the cart and pulled himself up. No material damage was done.

Timaru Herald, 4 January 1878, Page 3 Bolts.
An accident of this nature occurred about 9 o'clock yesterday morning m the Main South-road, which, fortunately, was attended with no more serious consequences than that the vehicle was considerably damaged. It appears that while a team of horses belonging to Mr Bennett were being driven down the street above mentioned, the pole between them got unshipped and dropped to the ground, causing them to take fright. At a furious pace they bolted down the incline, until the express came m contact with a lamp near the Club Hotel. The lamp having speedily succumbed to the pressure brought to bear on it, the horses continued their course with increased vigor, but were ultimately caught. The driver exerted himself well to prevent an accident, and stuck to the reins until the vehicle came ;in contact with the lamp post. Some of the spokes of one of the wheels of the express were broken, but the horses and driver escaped uninjured. This was succeeded by Mr Acton's horse also bolting with a batcher's cart, smashing it and strewing the meat about the street.

Timaru Herald, 13 May 1878, Page 4
Bolt. An accident of this nature took place last Saturday afternoon, and fortunately passed off without doing any serious injury. Dr Lovegrove's coachman, after having brought his horse out on the road, turned buck to close the gate, and while he was engaged in doing so the horse, which was attached to a buggy, taking fright at something, bolted down the Main North road at a terrible pace. Turning into Beswick-street he continued his mad careeer, fortunately passing every object along the route without coming in contact with anything until coming around the corner of the Grosvenor Hotel it ran against Mr T. Teschemaker's carriage, which was standing m front of the hotel. Further than to throw down one of the horses which were attached to the carriage, no injury was done, until on the opposite side of the same street he collided with a trap and horse belonging to a farmer named Hoare. The force of the concussion threw Mr Hoare's horse to the ground and capsized the trap, distributing its contents of potatoes far and wide about the street. The runaway still continued his journey until reaching Mr Jackson's Coal Yard, when he evidently got an idea into his head that he had gone far enough, and he came to a standstill and was soon afterwards taken in charge by his driver. Considering the places through which he passed, the speed at which he travelled, and the many street corners and traps on the line of route the injuries sustained were comparatively insignificant. The breast of the runaway horse was much bruised, evidently from striking against something, and two of the wheels of the buggy were bent and considerably injured. Some flight injuries were done to Mr Hoare's trap, and the harness of his horse was much damaged.

Timaru Herald, 22 May 1878, Page 4
Another Runaway. The high wind and dust-storm on Monday appear to have been the cause of several mishaps which might have ended seriously. Mrs Henry Sealy was driving in a pony carriage with another lady when the gale arose. The pony took fright and bolted, tearing along the road towards Wai-iti at a terrible pace. Mrs Sealy lost her hold of the reins, and jumped out of the carriage in the hope of regaining them. Her companion was then thrown out, and the carriage capsized and became almost a wreck before the horse stopped. Luckily both the ladies escaped unhurt.

Timaru Herald, 28 February 1879, Page 2
An accident which fortunately terminated in no serious result, occurred last Wednesday evening to a man named Kelland, an employee of Mr Southern, aerated water manufacturer. Mr Kelland was driving along Church street, when the horse shied and rushed down the hill by Mr Goodman's store. Observing another vehicle in the centre of the road through which he had to pass, Mr Kelland made an attempt to turn the runaway into D street, so as to avoid a collision, and going round the corner his trap capsized. A man named Mitchel, who also was in the trap at the time, was sent spinning several yards away, and Mr Kelland was buried underneath the vehicle. Mr Mitchell, who escaped unhurt, came to the assistance of Mr Zetland, and, with the help of some other men who happened to be passing at the time, removed the trap by which he was completely covered. Dr MacIntyre was shortly afterwards in attendance, but his professional skill was not called into requisition, as a slight bruise on one of his legs was all the injuries which Mr Kelland sustained.

Timaru Herald, 30 April 1879, Page 2
Mesdames John and James Selby were coming into town in a trap, when as they were passing Mr Perry's gate the horse which they were driving took fright at something and bolted down the street. Mrs James Selby, who was driving, held bravely to the reins, and managed to steer the frightened animal clear of every thing until, after turning into Beswick street, the horse made an attempt to go through the gateway into Messrs Gedye and White's coal yard, but in doing so the wheel of the vehicle came into contact with the corner of Mr Rickets shop, resulting in its being capsized and both ladies thrown violently to the ground. Mrs James Selby was considerably bruised and cut about the face and very much shaken, but her sister-in law escaped with comparatively slight injury, a severe shaking being all of which she complained. The former lady, who was not in a strong state of health, was immediately taken to her home, and though her condition was considered critical yesterday evening, it is to be hoped that nothing serious will result from the shock her nervous system received. This accident led to another. A man and his wife named Saville, who recently arrived here from Waimate, were turning into Church street when the runaway passed them down. They stood on the crossing looking after the runaway until a horse and cart belonging to Mr Southan, aerated water manufacturer, came down the street, and as if the driver had no other place through which to pass except the spot on which Mr and Mrs Saville were standing, the shafts of the cart struck the poor woman and threw her down. One wheel of the vehicle passed over her breast, but with the exception of a severe shaking and a few bruises it is believed that she sustained no injury. She was taken into the Clarendon Hotel, but soon after she recovered sufficiently to be able to leave for her house. We should like to see this accident inquired into, and unless the driver can show that he could not have prevented its occurrence, we should be glad to see him punished for what appears to us at present to be the result of great negligence.

Timaru Herald, 6 June 1881, Page 2
An exciting bolt took place on the Main North Road on Saturday afternoon, and, but for the presence of mind of an engine-driver, would have resulted differently to what it did. A horse attached to a farm dray was being driven down the hill towards Whales creek, when the evening train for the North suddenly emerged from the cutting, causing the animal to swerve across the road, end then gallop down the hill at a furious pace. The driver was thrown off the dray soon afterwards, but escaped injury, and two other horses, which were tied to the rear of the dray, broke their fastenings, and made off across the gully on the left of the road near its junction with the Wai-iti road. A short distance in front of the runaway were two other vehicles close together, the occupants of which did not notice the danger which threatened them until their attention was attracted to the repeated whistling of the engine now crossing the viaduct. On looking round they saw the runaway close behind, and immediately pulled their horses on one side, but not a second too soon, as the dray passed between the two with scarcely a couple of inches to spare of either. The runaway's career was stopped at the top of the hill, the animal being none the worse for his mad gallop. The driver of the train deserves great credit for his action in keeping the whistle going to warn the drivers of the other vehicles, for had he not done so the horse and dray would have certainly collided with them, and there is no saying what damage would have been done in that case. 

Timaru Herald, 29 March 1884, Page 2
A Runaway Stopped. A runaway horse was very smartly stopped by Constable Phillips yesterday. Mr Gosling, of Coonoor, had driven into town with a buggy and single horse, and was standing beside them at Messrs Priest and Holdgate's, when his horse was startled by a passing expressman cracking his whip loudly. The horse jumped away, and bolted along the street southwards at a furious rate. Constable Phillips happened to be in the neighborhood of the Union Bank, and as the runaway came up he got in its way, and throwing up his hands, caused the horse to turn a little aside, and then as it passed him he caught the reins, and hanging on to them soon pulled up the horse. He was loudly applauded for the clever way in which he stopped the runaway. Thanks to his prompt action no injury resulted to either horse or buggy, or to anything on the street.

Timaru Herald, 26 June 1885, Page 2
Some excitement was caused in town yesterday morning by what may be termed a sensational bolt. A horse and trap, the property of Mr R. Rutherford of Albury, were standing in front of King's Stables about a quarter to twelve, when the horse suddenly took fright, and started off at a mad pace down Strathallan street. In the back of the trap was seated a man named Watson, who, however, did not have hold of the reins. Having no control over the horse, the terrified occupant very wisely and promptly jumped out of the back of the trap, and left it and the horse to proceed. The horse continued on his mad career across the railway line, and then on to the wharf. He went down the wharf with undiminished speed, and to the surprise of everyone, steered clear of all obstacles, such as cranes and trucks, the trap bumping over the points and rails without hurt. When about half way down the wharf, one of to wheels of the trap came in contact with a truck that was standing close to where the brig Niagara was moored. The suddenness of the stoppage detached the horse, who continued his gallop for about a hundred yards further, and stopped. He was then secured by some bystanders, and taken back to King's Stables, none the worse for his gallop. The trap, strange to say, did not sustain much injury.

Timaru Herald, 23 May 1887, Page 3
A very serious buggy accident happened at about 4.30 on Saturday afternoon. Miss Boyle and Mrs Lavery drove into town from Temuka in the morning, and, having stopped some time at Mr Dick's residence, went on towards Saltwater Creek, Miss Gallon, of Timaru, then having a seat in the trap. The party of three returned towards town in the afternoon, Miss Boyle driving. On coming to the corner of Heaton street and Main South Road, there was a trap (belonging to Mr Charles Nicholson) standing at the door of Messrs Knott and Scarf's butcher's shop. By some means or other the horse in the Temuka buggy swerved suddenly to the near side, the two vehicles came into violent collision, and Mrs Lavery, Miss Boyle, and Miss Gallon were thrown out on to the road. Two of the ladies appear to have fallen on their faces, and we regret to say that some serious injuries were sustained. Mrs Lavery had her right arm broken, her upper jaw broken, her nose laid open, and her forehead and cheeks very badly bruised. Miss Boyle was badly cut about the face Miss Gallon escaped with a severe shaking and shock. Mr John Jackson at once telephoned for medical assistance, and before long Dr McIntyre and Dr Hogg were on the scene of the accident. Mrs Lavery who had meanwhile been taken into Mr Jones' residence, was subsequently driven to some other friend's house in town, and later still was removed to the Hospital. Miss Boyle is housekeeper to Dr Hayes of Temuka, and he was immediately telegraphed to. In the course of the evening he came into town, and we are glad to state that Miss Boyle was able to drive out to Temuka with him the same night. We need hardly say that the assistance rendered by the neighbors when the accident took place was prompt and hearty. The reminder of the story is soon told. The collision having taken place, the horse drew the trap sharp to the off side and turned right round with his head towards Saltwater Creek. He then speedily broke a shaft, doubled up the buggy in a very complete manner, plunged himself clear of the wreck, and started down the road at a wild gallop. There were many children playing at various points along the route, but they all managed to get out of the way in time. In the evening amounted man was dispatched to Saltwater Creek to obtain tidings of the runaway. He found the horse and brought it into town none the worse for the escapade. We may add that in the collision Mr Charles Nicholson's trap got an ugly shaking and will need considerable repairs to the wheels.

Timaru Herald, 16 September 1890, Page 2
Misfortunes never come singly. Mr Edwards, painter, whose son was badly injured by being run over a few days ago, on Saturday was involved in an accident himself. He was driving home from the Washdyke in an express with one horse, and when coming down the hill into Woollcombe's gully the blinkers somehow came off. The horse, a young and active animal, at once set off at full tilt. Not far ahead a Maori was driving out of town m a cart, and seeing the bolt be draw to one side as fast as he could, but not sufficiently to give the runaway a clear course. The two vehicles collided, and Mr Edwards' express was badly damaged. He sprang out on seeing the collision was inevitable, and landing in front was knocked down and the wheels passed over him, fortunately doing him no permanent injury, but an arm black and blue and a sore chest were bad enough additions to the damage to the vehicle. The Maori drove on, and we have not learned the extent of the damage his cart sustained.

Timaru Herald, 9 July 1892, Page 2
A runaway took place in the northern part of Stafford street yesterday afternoon. A farmer left his horse and dray standing near Smith's coalyard, and the winkers coming off the horse it bolted, galloping up the street and round into Sefton street, a bystander bringing it to a stoppage opposite the bowling green. No damage was done, and the horse seemed none the worse for its short gallop,

Timaru Herald, 28 July 1873, Page 3
An inquest was held on Saturday last, before B. Woollcombe, Esq., Coroner, at the Resident Magistrates' Court, Timaru, on the body of Edward Gould, a boy nearly nine years of age, whe met with his death try falling from a horse and being dragged. The following persons composed the jury Messrs' Webster, Sutherland, Pountly, Derby, Kennedy, F. Healey, W. Healey, Coker, Sullivan, Graham, Martin, Denoon, Hatfield and S. Smith. Mr Webster was chosen foreman. Edward James Gould, sworn, said I am a farmer living at the Waterfalls, Opihi. On the 23rd of July, I, my son and Mrs Gould had a horse a piece, dragging logs out of a bush, situated about a mile from my house. The horse the boy was working was an entire, which he was riding. The horse was attached to a stretcher by chains, and the centre of the stretcher was fastened to a log. I was close behind the boy, and told him to stop the horse and give him a drink at a creek. Close to the creek the log caught against a rock and the stretcher broke in the middle. One piece of the stretcher remained attached to the plough chain, and frightened the horse, which then jumped about a bit. The boy stuck on for some time and I; called out stick on, stick on." The horse then galloped off, and just as it was going out of my sight I saw the boy- either throwing himself off or falling. I undid the chains from the mare I was working, jumped on to her back, and galloped ahead of the runaway horse. When came up to the horse he had stopped and the deceased was lying on the ground at the horse's heels in a dirty puddle with one plough chain round his wrist as if it had been placed there. I took the chain off his wrist. He was alive at the time. The trousers were turned inside out and prevented from being pulled off his legs by his boots. When I picked deceased up the only marks upon him were on his head and his wrist, those on the latter being caused by the chain. There was a little blood about his nose and mouth. I took deceased's clothes off and wrapped him my wife's dress. My wife then went for assistance, and I carried deceased part of the way home. He met some persons with blankets, which we wrapt him and carried him home. Before reaching there his heart stopped beating. Deceased was eight years of age last September. A saddle was on the horse deceased was riding. By Foreman:: The boy has ridden the horse at the same work for the last two years. When I picked the boy up he was unconscious.
Jane Heuchan, sworn, said I am living with last witness. On the 23rd of July last, in the afternoon, I was in a bush with Mr Gould about a mile from his house. Deceased was with us. The horse the boy was riding I saw jumping about in a frightened state, with part of the stretcher attached to the chain. The horse then bolted and I saw the boy throw himself off and dragging by the horse's side. When I got to him his father had picked him up; he was breathing, but senseless. I then went home for a blanket to put him. In returning I met his father carrying him. We then took his clothes off and carried him in the blanket, but when half way home he ceased to breathe. The Coroner having summed up,, the jury proceeded to consider their verdict, and after a short deliberation returned one of "Accidental Death," with a rider to the effect that the father should not have allowed such a young child to ride an entire horse at such dangerous work. George Green, Moses White and Thomas Chapman, who were summoned as jurors, and who failed to put in an appearance, were each fined 10s. 

Timaru Herald, 28 July 1897, Page 2
Mr Walter Osborne, of Messrs Levien and Co., met with a serious accident yesterday. He was at work m his factory when he heard the noise of a run away trap. He went out, and found that the horse attached to Mr Mills' butcher's cart had bolted, and Mr Osborne ran along to try to stop it. He had not run far and caught up to the horse and cart, when he was observed to fall, and Mr Mills, who had followed the runaway, on coming up to him found that by some means the trap had run over Mr Osborne, breaking his right leg rather badly. He was at once taken home, the doctor was summoned, and the injury attended to.

Timaru Herald, 26 September 1898, Page 2
A spirited horse attached to Ballantyne's delivery cart bolted from the shop on Saturday afternoon, narrowly escaped collision with the Club corner, almost capsized at the Alliance Chambers, and was stopped opposite Mr Gordon Wood's office by several men pluckily barring the horse's way and by one man seizing the reins and bringing it to a standstill. The street was very crowded at the time, and it was fortunate that the horse was stopped in so short a time.

Timaru Herald, 24 January 1901, Page 2
The Century Bath has been very well patronised during the late hot weather, especially in the evenings, when quite a crowd of youngsters and adults may be a seen in the water. An amusing incident was witnessed on Tuesday. One youngster pushed another, unawares, into the bath (both being stripped). A little later an onlooker thought he would teach the bully a lesson, and he watched a chance to push him in. The lesson was turned inside out, for the boy as he fell grabbed his assailant, who was clothed, and dragged him in too.

Timaru Herald, 21 June 1901, Page 2
A very amusing incident occurred about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon in Heaton streeet. Two little Tamworth pigs escaped from their moorings at the Cash Butcher's shop, and immediately made the best of their opportunity by running at top speed in opposite directions. And the way those pigs, dodged several would be captors was amusing to see; a footballer would have had no chance with them. One pig wended its way towards the. Old Men's Home, trusting no doubt to receive sympathy and support in. that direction, while the other ran towards the Marist Brothers' dwelling, in the vicinity of which it was captured, as likewise, was the other at the Old Men's Home.

Timaru Herald, 15 January 1909, Page 4
An amusing incident occurred yesterday as the volunteers were forming a cordon round the Troopers'' Memorial to keep the crowd back. An old lady who attempted to keep her place, and was hustled by a volunteer whom she evidently knew, became angry, and promised him, to his great embarrassment, "the rounds of the kitchen" as soon as she got him out of his uniform.

Timaru Herald, 8 December 1909, Page 4
An amusing incident occurred on Caroline Bay on Monday morning. The horse used by Mr Christmas became frightened by" the whistle of a passing train, and started off along the beach, with an occupied bathing machine behind it. The person inside was donning the regulation neck-to-knee costume at the time, and after being considerably jolted about, he climbed up to the aperture and wanted to know the cause of his discomfort. He might have had a long ride for nothing, had not another bather stopped the runaway.

Timaru Herald, 27 December 1909, Page 4
During the progress of a picnic at Winchester, a very amusing incident happened. A young woman, about to take part in a game of rounders, had placed her "Merry Widow", or other artistically designed hat on a willow stump. A big pig belonging to the owner of the picnicking grounds came along, and while examining the hat, got- it caught on the ring in its nose, and off it went with the hat on its snout. The owner of the hat, with all her friends immediately gave chase, but were too scared of the pig to venture near it. The sight, they say, of the pig with the hat, and the pursuing crowd, was too funny for words. At last a bright youth came to the rescue with a long pole, and poked the hat off the pig's nose. The hat, strange to say, was not much damaged, and all ended happily. Merry Widow, 7 or other artistically designed hat on a willow stump. A big pig belonging to the owner of the picnicking grounds came along, and while examining the hat, got- it caught on the ring in its nose, and off it went with the hat on its snout. The owner of the hat, with all her friends immediately gave chase, but were too scared of the pig to venture near it. The sight, they say, of the pig with the hat, and the pursuing crowd, was too funny for words. At last a bright youth came to the rescue with a long pole, and poked the hat off the pig's nose. The hat, strange to say, was not much damaged, and all ended happily.

Timaru Herald, 29 August 1911, Page 5
A youth rode a bicycle down Stafford Street yesterday afternoon at a breakneck pace, not even attempting to slow down- as he approached Gabites' Corner. The result was that he succeeded in narrowly dodging several pedestrians, and finally collided with one, knocking him over and bruising him severely. The irresponsible cyclist picked up his machine with the' curt remark that people should keep off the road."


Timaru Herald, 28 February 1879, Page 2
Accident to Sergeant-Major Kerr. Yesterday afternoon as this gentleman was driving from Temuka to Winchester, and soon after his leaving Temuka, his horse bolted. Opposite Mr Wheelband's the horse made a sudden turn, and upset the buggy. Mr Kerr was thrown out with great violence, and, falling on his head, was rendered insensible. Dr Hayes was sent for, and had the unfortunate victim of the accident conveyed to the Royal Hotel. The accident occurred about three o'clock, and at seven o'clock our correspondent telegraphed to us that Mr Kerr still continued insensible.

Timaru Herald, 8 February 1897, Page 2
A few minutes after 12 o'clock on Saturday a runaway occurred at Temuka. A casual hand employed by Mr E. Brown, coal and timber merchant, with culpable ignorance removed the blinkers from a horse whilst it was standing m a dray. The horse immediately bolted from the yard, narrowly escaped smashing into Mr Buxtons shop before it could turn, and then made down Commerce street into the Main South road, travelling apparently m the direction of its stables m Vine street. At Wood street corner it ran across the pavement between a lamp-post and the gatepost of a paddock, smashed the gatepost and overturned the dray. The horse was then secured. It was found that the horse was somewhat cut about, and shaken. One shaft of the dray was broken, the axle bent, and the springs displaced. There were plenty of people about at the time, and some little anxiety naturally ensued.

Timaru Herald, 21 December 1897, Page 2
As Mrs Riordan, of Geraldine, was driving through Winchester yesterday in a daisy cart, accompanied by her daughter and son, the latter, a lad of ten, having the reins, the pony took fright on meeting two bicyclists and bolted. The lad lost command, the trap was upset, and the occupants thrown out. Fortunately none of them were hurt beyond a severe shaking, and the pony was captured before any damage was done to it or the vehicle.

Temuka Leader 25 June 1932 Page 2
A horse and gig, the property of Mr W. Anglem, Seadown, was the cause of much ado on Thursday evening in Temuka. The horse, which had been left unattended in King street, took fright and dashed down the street past Lister’s Motors, at about six o’clock. Mr Harold Washington, promptly realising the position, set off in a car in pursuit, headed off the runaway and by zig-zagging in front of the frightened beast, curtailed its speed to such an extent as to allow Mr G. Smith, who had also joined in pursuit, to catch hold of the horse’s head and bring it to a standstill. Almost, immediately afterwards Constable J. Southworth in the road patrol car, arrived on the scene. There was considerable traffic on the road at the time, and had Mr Washington and Mr Smith not acted so promptly, the consequences might have been more serious.


Timaru Herald, 19 June 1883, Page 3
An inquest touching the death of Mr Jas. Hunt was held in the Courthouse, Waimate, on Saturday, the 16th inst., before J. Manchester, Esq., J.P., acting as Coroner. A jury of thirteen was sworn, Mr S. Collett being chosen foreman. W. P. Sharky deposed he had been a week in the employment of Hunt Bros, last Thursday: On that evening he was driving their horse and cart in Leonard street. He got down to fix the harness; while so doing the horse bolted and ran away down Leonard street. He heard a voice cry "Woa." He believed the voice to be that of deceased. He could not see anyone, as it was dark. He did not run after the horse. On being questioned by jurors, witness said he had that day taken the horse and cart to Makikihi, without the permission of the owners. He intended to leave the horse at Makikihi and go to Timaru alone, but having forgotten his swag came back for it, and it was on his return the horse bolted. Christina Raper deposed she was in the employment of Messrs Hunt. She saw the horse with the cart running away down Leonard street. James Hunt, the deceased, ran out to stop the horse, and held up hit hands. He fell and the horse passed on. He lay on the road with his face down, and she ran for Mr Edward Hunt. It was moonlight at the time. She next saw deceased in bed. The accident occurred about 9.30 p.m. When witness first saw the horse running away it was near the Masonic Hall, on the side of the road. Mrs McAllister stated that on the night in question, between nine and ten o'clock, she heard a noise as of a runaway horse and cart pass by her house in Leonard street. She run out and saw a man on the ground. She ran to him and found it was deceased. She raised his head and called for help. A man came and witness assisted to carry deceased into his own house. Deceased was bleeding about the head and never spoke. She did not see the horse. Dr Stacpoole stated he was in attendance on deceased about a quarter to ten on the night of the 14th inst. Deceased had a deep cut on the back of his head. He was insensible there was no apparent fracture. He remained with him over an hour, during which deceased continued in the same state. He again saw him about half-past one the same night, and found he had spoken and complained of a pain in his stomach, but then fell into a profound state of insensibility. The symptoms were those of compression of the brain. The wound appeared as if caused by a fall. Se found no marks on the chest or abdomen. Death was caused by compression of the brain. E. Hunt, brother of the deceased, gave evidence as to the finding of the horse, but had not seen anything of the occurrence. A verdict was given of accidental death whilst attempting to stop a runaway horse.

Timaru Herald, 26 September 1891, Page 2
What might have been a serious accident happened to Mr W. J. Black, county overseer, at Waimate, on Saturday morning last. Mr Black was driving past the Waihao, where something broke the back-band of the harness, and the vehicle being a light daisy cart, the shafts dropped to the ground. This caused the horse, generally a quiet one, to rear and plunge to such an extent that Mr Black was thrown out with great force. Mr Barber, who happened to be passing, assisted him to Mr Morton's house, and otter a short rest, he was able to be driven home. Dr Barclay attended the sufferer, and found nothing serious the matter beyond a severe shaking.


Timaru Herald, 13 June 1888, Page 2
Some little stir was caused in Geraldine yesterday morning by a runaway. Mr James Turner, cordial manufacturer, had left his horse and express tied up to a fence m hi§ yard and had gone away to transact some business. Almost immediately afterwards something startled the horse, which reared up and turning round sharply capsized the express against the fence, and the king bolt shooting out, the horse bolted out of the yard into the street and down the town as hard us it could gallop, with the fore-carriage in close attendance. Having only a pair of wheels behind it the horse had nothing to check its mad career, and as in matter of course instantly had the street cleared for its special convenience. After galloping the measured mile of street, it turned off in front of the Bush Hotel and made down the Hilton road. After going along this road for a few chains the animal stopped and quietly waited for its owner, who had in the meantime been galloping after it on horseback. No damage was done, and as soon as the fore-carriage was taken back to the yard the express was set right again.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project