Silverstream is a small township in the Fairlie riding of the Mackenzie county, distant seven miles from Fairlie, on the main road to Tekapo and Mount Cook. There is a small hotel to provide for the wants of traveller, but no church or store. A public school, with a post and telephone at the schoolmaster's residence, provides for the needs of the settlers in these respects, and religious services are held in the school. The population of Silverstream was ninety-eight at the census in 1901.
The SILVERSTREAM PUBLIC SCHOOL was established in 1884. It is of wood and iron, on concrete foundations and contains a class room and a porch. Fifty children can be accommodated; there are forty-three on the roll, and the average attendence is thirty-six. The land attached is ten acres in extent, half of which was presented by Messrs Kimble and Buchanan, of Three Springs estate.
MR GEORGE MERRITT PILKINGTON, Master of Silverstream School, was born near Chicago, United states of America, in 1868. He was brought to the colony as a child by his parents, and had the charge of the small school at Rakaia for eleven years prior to his appointment to Silversteam in 1902. Mr Pilkington was married in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. Charles Hadfield, of Christchurch, and has three sons.
ADAMSON, ALEXANDER Farmer, Glencoe Farm, Silverstream. Mr. Adamson was born in 1872, at Washdyke, near Timaru, and attended school at Albury and Fairlie. He was brought up to farming, and for eleven years worked on the Allandale station. He then took up 277 acres of leasehold land at Albury, and worked it as a sheep and agricultural farm. In 1900 Mr. Adamson leased his present farm of 322 acres, upon which he runs a flock of 300 sheep and also crops about 100 acres. At one time he owned a butchery business at Fairlie in conjunction with his brother-in-law, Mr Milne, but abandoned it after eighteen months. He has been a member of the Fairlie Oddfellow's Lodge since 1888, and is also a member if the Farmer's Union, and the Mackenzie Agricultural Society. Mr. Adamson was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. James Milne, of Albury, and has one son and one daughter.
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 page 960. Published 1903
Three Springs Station called because it is the source of three springs that join to form a creek known as Sliverstream. The township of Silverstream name was changed, due to confusion with the Silversteam township in Otago, change to Kimbell, in honour of the respected owner of Three Springs Station 1866 to 1878 Frederick John Kimmbell who was b. 1828 and owned Three Springs Station in partnership with Andrew McNair. Kimbell retired to Christchurch then returned to England. Source: High Endeavour by Vance.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project