St Mary's Anglican Church windows - Timaru
Our goodly heritage. Gothic architecture was all about height and light.
W570 Christ in Majesty
with the orders of Angels, Saints and figures of the Old Testament.
The 3L alter window in the east sanctuary, a unsigned James Powell & Sons, 1911, £300.
Donated by the parish and friends of St. Mary's. Ordered Archdeacon Harper - while in London he had received a letter
from the parishioners to erect a glass as a memorial to himself so was in an unique position to plan his own memorial.
To commemorate the 36 years service (1875-1911) of Archdeacon Henry Harper (d. 20 Jan. 1922).
To the glory of God & in memory of the three Rhodes brothers William Barnard, Robert Heaton & George
who founded the first sheep station in South Canterbury at the Levels in 1851 & later gave the site for this church. large image
Bless ye the Lord
O ye angels of the Lord
o ye _-unds of God
Ye mountains and hills
o le___ earth
Bless the Lord of the air
Children of men
Servant of the Lord
Praise him and magnify him for ever
Saint George Saint Michael Saint Nicholas
Gideon Joseph David
Insignias at the base: NZ Army NZ Onward, New Zealand Royal Air Force Arduaad, & RNZN
For those who died in World War One & Two.
This window was dedicated on Sunday 28 June 1953. The theme is 'triumph of right over wrong.' This is a white friar window designed by Mr E. Liddell Armitage of James Powell & Sons, London. To judge a window look at the size of the glass pieces, the smaller the better, and the effect of the lines of the leads, and whether the whole window gives a brilliant jewelled effect or whether it is only a picture painted on glass with landscape in perspective. The center light is the gift of the citizens of Worthing, Sussex as an expression of goodwill towards the citizens of Timaru. In 1949, Leonard Whitehouse, a councillor of Worthing council, visited Timaru and he recommended to the Worthing council that a window be donated to St. Mary's in appreciation for food parcels sent from Timaru during and after the war during the period of food shortage. The bronze plaque was unveiled by Mr Lenard Rentall, a former Mayor of Worthing, but now residing in Nelson, on behalf of the citizens of Worthing. The side lights were donated by the St. Mary's Sewing guild and the parish memorial fund.
Thou c__ shalt be called the prophet of the highest
Richard Turnbull born Jan 1826 Died July 1890
Mary Hephzibah Turnbull born April 1829 Died Jan 1912
An unsigned 1913 James Powell & Sons, London, window.
Giving thanks to God for the dear memory of George Hampton Rhodes
who died 9th May, 1914, his wife and children dedicate this window. 1916
A rebus, wheat stock with tower -- C.E. Kemp &Co. London, left lower base.
To the Glory of god & in affectionate remembrance of Cecil J.H. Perry at rest 4 August 1917
Note the on the right has a hole in it, right lower corner.
Glory to God in the _____ ____ and ______ ______ _______
In loving memory of Janet Mildred eldest child of Percy and Bertha Elworthy
Born 2 November 1909 Died 20 January 1919
[A 1930 white friar right lower corner.]
The first specimen sent out was rejected as unworthy of St. Mary's and this was sent out in its place.
We are come to worship him
1905 window, bequest of Mary Luxmoore, died 31 July 1905. Signed left lower base.
Press, 17 August 1905, Page 8
St. Mary's Church, Timaru, has just been enriched by several beautiful memorial windows. On the left-hand side of the northern porch there is a double lancet window, the gift of Mr H. Belfield, one of the first churchwardens of St. Mary's. Its subject in the upper portion is the visit of the three Marys to the Sepulchre. An angel sitting by the open rocky tomb speaks to them. The words are inscribed below:—" He is no here; He is risen." In the background the walls of Jerusalem, and the hill of Calvary, with three crosses, are seen. In the lower portion there are two panels, one showing the walls of Jericho, and in the foreground the healing of the blind man, with the words, "Receive thy sight." The other represents the healing or the woman who touched the hem of the garment, with the words, "Be of good comfort." The window is by Messrs Burlison and Grylls, of London. At the western end of the southern aisle there is another window of great beauty and very rich colour. It represents in its upper portions the visit and the offering of the three wise men. Underneath are the words, "We are come to worship Him." The lower portion is occupied with a representation of the Annunciation and the message of the angels to the shepherds. This window is by Messrs Pearce, of Birmingham, and is a memorial of the late Mrs Luxmore, of Marchwiel. In the upper walls of the church the clerestory windows on either side of the nave have been filled with beautiful glass by Messrs I. Powell and Sons, of London, who also executed the rose window in the western wall. These windows—six on either side of the nave contain angels holding scrolls, on which are inscribed the names of the twelve apostles. The colouring is most brilliant and rich. These windows are the gift of the late Mrs Luxmoore, in memory of her husband, Phillip Luxmore. Above the rose window, which is a memorial of the late Edward Elworthy, a trefoil light of some size has been filled with glass by Messrs Powell, in keeping with the rose window. It has no special subject, but is what is known as a "jewel" window. This window is the gift of Miss Elworthy.
Christ seated in Majesty. 1900 James Powell & Sons, London window, a sexfoil window.
This west rose window needs the afternoon sun to see this window at its best.
Timaru Herald 25 June 1900 pg 3
A MEMORIAL SERVICE St. Mary's Church was filled to the doors at yesterday morning's service, when the Bishop of the Diocese unveiled a beautiful window erected to the memory of the late Edward Elworthy, and preached a sermon appropriate to the occasion. The window is a multiple one, filling the large rose in the western gable, in about a score of separate settings in the stone work. These numerous lights constitute a single design, for a description of which we are indebted to the Ven. Archdeacon Harper. It is usual in the old churches of Europe to place representations of the Crucifixion m the eastern and representations of Christ in glory in the western window. This practice has been followed m this instance, the design representing Our Lord in glory. The central idea is that the spectator glances through the window into heaven, and therefore the prevailing hues are blue and gold, with some green. The central and largest light contains a figure of Christ seated on his rainbow throne. The pose of the seated figure is majestic, the arms are extended m the attitude, of benediction, and the figure wears a brilliant crown, and is clad in a rich golden robe. Next surrounding the circular central light are six large trefoils, and m each of these is an angel in an attitude of adoration ; each robed and winged in different colours, and wearing a brilliant crown. Considerable ingenuity had to be exercised to get these figures well fitted into the trefoils, but it has been quite successfully achieved. Beyond these are eight small circles, m which brilliant stars appear on a ground of green. Lastly are three rosette lights defining a triangle, and these show the words and letters, "I am, Alpha and Omega," with the "I am" as a monogram surmounted by a brilliant crown. The work is as beautiful m detail as in mass, but one needs an opera glass to see the details properly. The ground lights are nowhere plain, but full of fine gradations, broken up into a multitude of fine shades. The faces of the figures are delicately coloured, and the hair even is well marked by fine lines of framing. The colours are all deep, in the style of the 13th Century (as is the architecture of the church) and the effect is exceedingly rich at any time of day, but when the afternoon sun shines upon the window it is splendid ; and the whole, as one gentleman remarked, looked like a large collection of fine jewellery. Beneath the window on the right hand of the doorway a brass tablet 27 x 18inches is let into the wall, bearing the following inscription: — " To the glory of God and m loving memory of Edward Elworthy, of Pareora, Canterbury, New Zealand. At rest January 22nd, 1899. The west window of this church was erected by his wife and children. Grant us Thy Peace." The tablet is a fine piece of incised work, and shows besides the inscription the family coat of arms and a marginal decoration of conventional foliage. The window was manufactured and the tablet supplied by the well-known London firm of W. Powell and Sons, who supplied the memorial windows previously erected. The window was inserted by Mr Foster, and the tablet by Mr McBride, under the supervision of Mr Turnbull. At the close of the ordinary morning service (for which special lessons and psalms were used), the Bishop, the churchwardens, incumbent, curate, and choir, moved in procession to the west door beneath the window, the congregation turning to face the west. His Lordship read a petition to himself for a faculty (or permission) to erect the window and tablet, and his reply granting the request. A special dedication service was then gone through, and a screen which had hidden the window was lowered by Mr Turnbull, while the Bishop declared the unveiling to be performed to the glory and praise of the Eternal God, After the return to the chancel, His Lordship preached from I. John, 1.5, "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all." His real text was the window, and the lessons deducible from it. He spoke first of the value of such memorials, to future generations, as they give a broad human interest to the places in which they are found. He then drew an interesting and instructive parallel between the phenomenon of light and the manifestations of God. Both are mysteries, unknowable m their essence, but known m their manifestations. As pure light is intolerable, so full knowledge of God is impossible; but as the light was diffused amongst objects, reflected and refracted and transmitted becomes the beauty of the world, so we recognise the attribute of God as they are manifested in the world about us, and as they have been manifested in the past; and chiefest in the manifestations of himself in his Son. Every life transmits something to the Divine glory and the best life is that through which tin light can shine most clearly and with the utmost variety, and as even the smaller fragment of the window just displayed had it! part m the whole, so the smallest bit of goodness in a man made the world so much the better. His Lordship concluded with tribute to the personal worth of Mr Elworthy, and a recognition of his services to services to St. Mary's Church from the early days to his death.
The church was again filled for the evening service. The Bishop preached from Zechariah IV., 6, an appeal to the Churchmen of Timaru to lend a willing hand to the completion of the Cathedral of the diocese. He drew a likeness — at times quite amusing — between the rebuilding of the Temple of Jerusalem after the return from the Exile, and the building of the Christchurch Cathedral, saying that there were just the same difficulties in the way, just the same excuses made for inaction, just the same sarcastic comments on the slow progress made in connection with the building of the Temple of Jerusalem, as have been found and heard in connection with the Cathedral at Christchurch. The Temple was finished, however, in spite of these, and the Cathedral will be finished. He spoke eloquently of the plans of the original Canterbury settlers, though, as is so generally the case, they were led by an illusion, they laid the foundation of the best province m New Zealand, if not such a province as they had proposed to establish — a little England m the South. Nothing had been done to the Cathedral for 17 years, and now they had turned again to the work, intending to complete it. He answered the numerous objections that have been made to this determination. Hard times : the times were always hard in Canterbury, at all events, had been during the years he had been in the colony. The heavy demands upon the people's purses by the recent subscription lists, especially the war funds ; it had been calculated that Canterbury's contribution to the war funds was about 5 per cent, of the advantage enjoyed this year through fair prices and good harvests, a mere trifle in proportion to the year's prosperity. The people of the city, it was said, did not care about it, and the people of the country knew nothing about it : £12,000 was wanted, and about £7000 had been raised already m the city, and the country had not been touched yet. To Haggai people shook their heads over his Temple — it would never be like the old one — so some people now offered discouragements ; the Cathedral would be nothing like those they had known at Home. Perhaps not ; but these were not what they now are when they were built. He quoted a remark by the Premier, that the Salvation Army and the Roman Catholics nave far greater weight m the determination of social legislation than the Church of England, and admitted its truth. The explanation was that this church does The explanation was that this church does not say to men "you must," but "you ought." Yet it was the way of Englishmen, however much they differed in opinion about what ought to be done, that whenever it had been decided to do a thing, they ceased differing and joined hands to get it done. And it had been determined to finish the Cathedral. Some said there were many other things more pressingly needed. They could afford these as well if they would, but at any rate here was a thing determined upon, and therefore it should be done first. It should be completed, as a symbol of diocesan unity, which, and not parochial unity, is the spirit of the Church. It should be completed as a memorial of the founders of Canterbury, and as a thank-offering to God for the rich inheritance those founders had left. He disliked begging above all things, but he would mention that m a small country parish last week he obtained £400 ; would not Timaru try to hold its own against that? He asked them to come forward with their gifts, not wait to be asked; it would be impossible to canvass a place like Timaru.
_____ ____ Sanctus __________
Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Perry who died I ____ 1890 aged 55
The Lord whom ye seek shall suddenly come to his temple
Wist ye not that I must be about my father's business
In memory of Mary R. Massey A.D. 1906
He is not here. He is risen.
Receive thy sight. Be of good comfort.
To the glory of God The gift of Herbert Belfield (d. 10 July 1917, England) in 1905
Be not afraid Fear not Paul
To the glory of God and in loving memory of Belfield Woollcombe, Captain RN A.D. 1891
Otago Witness, 25 May 1893, Page 3
A stained glass window has just been erected in St. Mary's Church, Timaru, in memory of the late Captain Woollcombe, R.N., one of the earliest residents in the neighbourhood of Timaru. The left light contains a figure of Jesus walking on the water, and beneath that a smaller picture of Jesus going to the rescue of Peter. The right light has a fine figure of St. Paul on the deck of a ship, and beneath the same Apostle is depicted in a boat with a guardian angel.
According to the "New Zealand Methodist," which under the editorship of the Rev. Mr Fairclough is a very readable paper, the Rev. B. T. Hallowes (Congregational), who formerly had a church at Timaru, has resigned his charge in England with a view to working in New Zealand.
Timaru Herald, 1 August 1891, Page 3 ST. MARY'S
A meeting of the vestry of St Mary's was held yesterday afternoon in the vestry. Present — The Ven Archdeacon Harper (chairman), Mr M. Gray, churchwarden ; Messrs M. White, Oilman, Sleadman, Smithson, Knubley, Shepherd, and Hedges, vestrymen. An apology was tendered for the absence of Major Bamfleld, on account of indisposition. Before proceeding with the business far which the meetinghad been called, Archdeacon Harper, in a very feeling speech, alluded to the loss the vestry and the church had sustained m the death of the late Captain Woollcombe. It would not be an easy matter to fill the different office in the Church the deceased gentleman had held. He was a true Churchman, and had for many long years, long before he (the Archdeacon) came to Timaru devoted himself to the Church, and had assisted greatly in its temporal and spiritual wants. In the very early days he had services in his own house, and Inter on was instrumental m having the first church built m Timaru, and still later on the vestry would nil remember the great interest ho took m the present building, and up to the time of his death was over ready to further the work of the church. Through the late Captain Woollcombe's death, the offices of churchwarden, diocesan nominator, synods-man, and one of the church's guarantors, had become vacant, which it would be necessary to now fill.
The vestry unanimously acquiesced in the eulogium passed by the Venerable Archdeacon Harper on the late Captain Woollcombe, and then posted the following resolution ;— :That the churchwardens and vestry of St. Mary's desire to put on record their grateful remembrance of the valuable services rendered to the Church and parish by the late Captain Woollcoombe during a long period, from the year 1858 when he was the first in Timaru to promote Sunday services, and soon afterwards designed and superintended the erection of the first church in Timaru, and in many ways never ceased to serve the Church faithfully and energetically, holding the office of churchwarden at the time of his death. ..
The Archdeacon said that he had great pleasure in informing the vestry that Mrs Godby had given £60 for the redemption of one of the debentures also that Mrs Godby would present a stained glass window to the church in memory of her mother. This should come from England and would probably be here before next Easter. It was resolved that the unanimous thanks of the vestry, on behalf of the church, be sent to Mrs Godby for her very handsome gift. The meeting then closed.
Children of Christ, 1906, James Powell & Sons, London.
Commemorate Henry J.C. Harper, D.D., First Bishop of Christchurch
Born Jan. 1904 Died Dec. 1905 1856-1899, Primate of New Zealand.
Donated by Archdeacon Henry Harper, his son and parishioners. Cost £56.
Installed in March 1907 in the north nave.
Ashburton Guardian, 19 September 1911, Page 6
Timaru, September 18. Yesterday Bishop Julius dedicated a beautiful memorial window in the east end of St. Mary's Church in memory of 36 years' faithful service given by Archdeacon Harper and showing the esteem in which he was held by his parishioners. The window represents the adoration of the angels.
North nave cinquefoil. Angel with a scroll - They shall see God.
This window was ordered by Archdeacon Henry Harper for £10 James Powell & Sons, London in 1911.
Commemorates Sheldon Douglas Hardrop Smithson, died 28 June 1905, aged 12. s/o Gertrude and Samuel Frederick Smithson, a lawyer.
This beautiful stained glass window is found at St. Mary's Timaru- W571. This window was dedicated in April 1954, see Timaru Herald 12 April 1954 or The Press 9 April 1954. Esther Hope (1885- 1975) sketches were used as the basis of the scenes. This is a white friar window designed by Mr E. Liddell Armitage of James Powell & Sons, London. To judge a window look at the size of the glass pieces, the smaller the better, and the effect of the lines of the leads, and whether the whole window gives a brilliant jewelled effect or whether it is only a picture painted on glass with landscape in perspective. This window was donated by the Rhodes family. 'Our farmers were very often the donors of stained glass.'
There is a "White Friar" emblem, 'rebus' in the bottom right hand corner of this window. This was the signature for the studio of James Powell & Sons, Whitefriars, London from 1915 to about 1972 then the rebus was a basic outline of a monk wearing a white cowl (a hooded garment worn by monk) until the company closed in 1980. After 1962 the company became known as Whitefriars. The Powell's glass works was built on the site of a former monastery. There are no marks on the early Powell windows.
Reference : Fiona Ciaran book,
Stained Glass Windows of Canterbury, New Zealand .
W=Window. No. corresponds to numbers in Dr Ciaran's beautiful book.
"Light is an iconic symbol that speaks of warmth and hope."