St John's

A Gypsy Poulston window (1976)
Anglican Church, Timaru

St John's Anglican Church, Highfield, 125 Wai-iti Road, is not an old church, but appealing, built in 1949, has a wonderful stained glass window inside, by Gypsy Poulston, a Timaru residence. She taught art classes at the local high school. The window was dedicated in 1976. Its amazing how the light at different times of the day affects the colours of the stained glass window. Photos taken by M.T. on a lovely spring day in August 2007. St John's was painted in June 2007 with the money coming from donations. Look at the beautiful tapestries. Both Craighead Diocesan School, Timaru and St John's Anglican Church, Timaru have organs made by the South Island Organ Company. Other Anglican churches in the area include St Peter's in Otipua Road, St Mark's at Otipua and of course St Mary's.

Hutt News, 13 December 1944, Page 5
SAUNDERS - BROWNE A wedding was celebrated on December 2nd at St. John's Church, Highfield, Timaru, the Rev. L. A. Barnes officiating, when Wendy Lonsdale Warden, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Browne, of Timaru, was married to John Chapman, only son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Saunders, of Lower Hutt. The bridegroom is on furlough leave after serving in the Pacific with the New Zealand Army Tank Group. The bride wore a beautiful trained gown of heavy magnolia lace, her tulle veil being held in place with a top-knot, of white roses. She was attended by her sister, Gypsy, who was attired in a full-skirted blue floral chiffon frock, her bouquet composing roses and sweet peas in matching tones. The best man was Mr. Edwin Poulston. During the signing of the register the solo, Gounods Ave Maria, was rendered by the bridesmaid. After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents (Fettercain House, Woodlands Road). The bride's mother, attired in a model suit of oyster and cherry red, assisted by the bridegrooms mother who wore a smart two-tone navy blue ensemble, received some 60 guests. The bride's travelling suit was of pelican blue wool georgette worn with tan accessories. [Gypsy married Edwin Poulston in 1946]

Hutt News, 13 December 1944, Page 5 MARRIAGE
SAUNDERS óBROWNE. On the 2nd. December, 1944, at St. John's Church, Highfield, Timaru, by the Rev. L. A. Barnes, John Chapman, only son of Mr. and Mrs. H. SAunders, Lower Hutt, to Wendy A Lonsdale Warden, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Warden Browne, Pettercairn House, Woodlands Road, Timaru.


August 2007. Painted in June 2007. The flagpole was taken down during the painting!

 

St John the Baptist, 1937-1987 A Brief History to Mark the 50th Anniversary of the Creation of A Parochial District By Drake, D. E. 23 pages Jubilee Committee of the Highfield-Marchwiel Parish. compiled and written by D.E. Drake.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project