St Mary's Anglican Church - Memorials
Colonist, 1 May 1860, Page 3
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
To the Glory of God and in proud and grateful memory of those from this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918
Dewhurst, E. [sic.Dewhirst]
|Beneath memorial, which is located to the right as you enter, is the Book of Remembrance, names and date of death are written. A page of the book is turned over every day. Note title page lettering.|
To the Glory of God and in proud and grateful memory of those from this parish who gave their lives in the World War 1939 -1945
"The memory of the Just is bleed"
in the Chapel of St Michael and all Angels with a memorial window "St George,
the Archangel Michael, St Nicholas of Myra, Gideon, Joshua and King
David", commemorating those who died in World War One and Two.
Insignia of the NZ Army, RNZAF and RNZN are depicted in the bottom pane. A
James Powell & Sons window. One of the donors was the citizens of
Worthing, Sussex, in gratitude for food parcels sent by Timaru people
In Memory of Lieutenant F.B.H. Guinness 8th S.C. Mounted Rifles who gave his life for his country at the Dardanelles age 24 years Aug 25 1915
In memory of Gerald Cawte Monaghan and David Wyatt Monaghan choristers of this church who in their youth gave their lives for their county and their fellow man. Sidi Rezagh No 271841 Casert Jan 27 1944
In memory: Lt Col. Cernest Thomas N.Z.M.C. killed in action at Dardanelles 28th August 1915 also of Capt. A.E.T. Rhodes. M.C. Died Oct 14th 1922 age 30 years.
Philip Bouverie Luxmoore 30 July 1882
The Rev. George Foster St Mary's 1859 - 1865 Lived at Highfield.
Edward Elworthy of Pareora, Canterbury N.Z. Jan 22nd 1899
Venerable Henry W. Harper M.A. Archdeacon and Vicar during the past 36 years 1875-1911
In memory of William Priest 1923. Church Warden of this church. 1920-1922.
John Rainsley-Jones Verger of St Mary's Church
William Denis Revell Church Warden of St Mary's 1921-1931
In thankfulness to God and in memory of Thomas Teschemaker of Otaio 1840-1919. An early pioneer in this district and Rosand Mary his wife. This reredos was given by their three daughters.
In memory of Richard Turnbull b. Jan 17 1826 at Oxford, England. Represented the Electoral District of Timaru in the House of Representatives from July 1878 to July 1890. Died Wellington
Capt. Belfield Woollcombe R.N.
Church Wardens of St Mary's Church A.D. 1861
Vicars of the Parish of St Mary
1861-1875 The Rev. George Foster
1875-1911 The Ven. H.W. Harper
1912-1921 The Ven. J.A. Jacob
1921-1927 The Ven. J.A. Julius
1928-1944 The Ven. H.W. Monaghan
1945-1953 The Ven. W.W. A. Averill
1953-1963 The Ven. R.P.F. Plaistowe
1968-1971 The Ven S.E. Woods
1971-1975 The Ven. P.W. Mann
1975-1979 The Rev. R.L.L. Oppenheim
1980-1982 The Rev. P.A. Shields
1982-1984 The Rev. G.W. Mountfort
1985 The Venerable R.H.S. Smith
1998 - Sept. 2008 Archdeacon Vicar - Philip Robinson 16th vicar of St. Mary's and longest serving in 50 years
March 2009 - Venerable Andrew Starky from Temuka "Church offers a sense of coming together and belonging." Left Temuka in April 2013 for St. Michael's in CHCH.
1st Dec. 2009 - Vicar Indrea Alexander - Dec. 2012
2013 interim priest Reverend Canon Chris Rodgers
2014 Nov. Reverend John Sheldon Shoaf
Timaru Herald, 28 September 1898, Page 4 THE LATE REV. GEORGE FOSTER.
By the death of the Rev. George Foster, which occurred on the 24th inst., one of the most familiar and respected figures in the Timaru life of the old days has passed away. Many messages and letters of inquiry and condolence from all parts of South Canterbury have reached his sorrowing family since his illness, testifying that "Parson Foster," as the people always affectionately called him, was still remembered and loved by many of those to whom he had ministered m the time gone by. The reverend gentleman was educated at St. Bee's College, Cumberland, and ordained by the Bishop of Ripon. He was curate m Hepworth, Kirkburton, Yorkshire, for five years, and afterwards curate of the Parish Church m Bolton-le-Moors. A handsome presentation and testimonial testified to the regret of his parishioners, when he left in 1859 with his wife and two little boys in the ship Tornado for pioneer church work in New Zealand. An idea of how different an undertaking this was then from what it is in these days of return tickets and saloon steamers, may be given when it is stated that the ship, of somewhat ill omen sounding name, took five months to reach these shores. The passage proved a stormy and dangerous one, the vessel narrowly escaping shipwreck, and it was much disabled on at length reaching Auckland. From Auckland Mr and Mrs Foster went by boat to Wellington, and then came on to Timaru, to which Mr Foster had been appointed vicar, the passengers landing in surf boats. In this district the land was then being taken up all round in large runs, and the parochial work involved a good deal of roughing it - long rides across rough country and un bridged rivers, and often at the end of many miles ride, a saddle for a pillow, and the bare floor of some lonely station hut for a bed. In Timaru itself the rev gentleman preached his first sermon standing on a wool bale on the open sea beach. He formed the parish of St. Mary's, and built the first church, which was a wooden one, and before his retirement in 1875 a stone church was erected. He also formed the first Sunday school in South Canterbury. Mr Foster has been living of late years on his farm at Hilton. He lost his wife eleven months ago, and had been in failing health for more than a year, and passed away when on a visit to his daughter in Timaru, aged 73 years. He was buried on Monday beside his wife in the Geraldine cemetery, and leaves four sons, five daughters, and nine grandchildren to mourn his loss.
Evening Post, 10 April 1935, Page 13
The Rev. W. H. Orbell, vicar of Papanui and Rural Dean of North Christchurch, will retire from parochial work at the end of June. Mr. Orbell has since his ordination given more than 40 years' active service to the Diocese of Christchurch. He was ordained by Archbishop Julius in 1894 on a title from Timaru, when Archdeacon Harper was vicar, and stayed there till 1899, when he went as locum tenens of the old Longbeach cure, and thence to Leeston as vicar later in the year. In 1914, on the resignation of Papanui by the Rev. (now, Dean), J. A. Julius, who was appointed vicar of Waimate, Mr. Orbell was appointed to that parish, and there has remained for these last 21 years. In 1932, on the organisation of the Diocese by; the Bishop into rural deaneries, Mr. Orbell was appointed as Rural Dean of North Christchurch.
Timaru Herald, 8 November 1897, Page 3
THE LATE LIEUT. A. W. BAILEY. The morning service at St. Mary's yesterday was made interesting and memorable by the addition of the ceremony of unveiling a memorial tablet to the late Lieut. A. W. Bailey, in the presence of the officers and volunteers of Timaru, who held a church parade for the pm-pose. The Ven, Archdeacon Harper preached an excellent and appropriate sermon. The Band assisted the organ in the accompaniment to the hymns the congregation was large and sympathetic, and there were many papist eyes during the unveiling ceremony and the sermon. The morning was fine, and there was a good muster of volunteers, 190 in all, including the Staff officers, Band, and High School Cadets. The Staff officers were Colonel Moore, in charge of the parade, Major Jowsey, Lieut. Wolf, Adjutant; Captain Cutten (Temuka), Quarter Master, Surgeon-Major Reid, Captain Jackson, and Sergeant-Major Jones. The South Canterbury members of the C.Y.C. were represented by Sergeant Melton. Colonel Moore drew a string and let down the flag, and the officers then returned to their seats. The tablet is in the shape of a shield, a plain flat plate, bearing the following inscription In memory of Arthur Wellesley Bailey, Lieutenant 38th Bengal Infantry, and formerly Lieut. Timaru Rifle Volunteers. Killed in action near Markhanai, N.W. Frontier, India, 14th September, 1897; aetat 30. Erected by the Officers and Volunteers of South Canterbury." The name is in red, the rest of the lettering in black, in various forms of plain and simply ornamented letter. The tablet has been set into the east end of the south wall, near the vestry door, window separating it from the tablet erected to the memory of Mr Richard Turnbull.
I understand St Mary's has a role as a
place for civic events, a place that marks the life of the city," Mrs
Alexander said in July 2009.
Everyone comes, and everyone goes. St Mary's is a church in the city, it doesn't have a residential area. The doors of the church remain open to all, and while not all churches continue to do that, Archdeacon Robinson thinks it's important. I think it's worth the risk. Mostly I have seen thieves break in and steal in the churches I have been at, not when the doors are open. 4 Sept. 2008 Timaru Herald
Timaru's Anglican parishes looks to respond
to declining numbers and financial pressures. Timaru has four Anglican Parishes:
St Marys, St Johns, St Philip and All Saints, and Kensington-Otipua Parish. Rev
Alexander said there had been workshops around the possibility of combining them
to create two parishes, or even a single parish. Mrs Alexander said if the four
parishes were to merge into one, it would not necessarily mean that the separate
worship centres would go. The conversation will continue at an informal level.
If we were to become one parish, there is still the question of how many worship
centres we would retain,'' she said. 7 July 2012 TH. St Mary's building was
closed indefinitely in February 2012 after two preliminary reports showed parts
of the hall and church were only strengthened to 10 per cent of current building
codes. The parish has since held its services at Craighead Diocesan School's
chapel, as it awaits another engineer's report. ''Craighead have been great, but
we're looking forward to the day we can go back into our building,'' Mrs
''The Canterbury Diocesan faces a number of challenges, from rising insurance costs to diminished parish rolls,'' said Mr Starky and said the Canterbury earthquakes had hugely affected the state of the church's buildings. Mr Starky hoped some more concrete proposals could be put forward to the Christchurch Diocesan Synod in September. The parishes would also discuss ways to encourage younger membership. Every church has its cherished buildings, activities or style of worship, but the top priority is to maintain our standing in the community.'' he said in 7 July 2012 TH
Timaru Herald 2 May 2013
Timaru St John's Church vicar Rev. Nick Mountfort has been appointed Anglican archdeacon of South Canterbury. He succeeds former Archdeacon Andrew Starky who was also vicar of the Temuka and Te Ngawai parishes. He left at the start of April to take up a position in Christchurch. Mr Mountfort has been vicar of St John's Church in Wai-iti Rd for 11 years and has seen the church steadily growing with weekly attendances more than 100. As archdeacon he has responsibility under the Bishop of Christchurch for pastoral and administrative matters from the Rangitata River south to the Waitaki River. In his new role he recently oversaw the service of induction for the new vicar of Mackenzie, the Rev Andrew McDonald. He is following in his family tradition because his father was a vicar of St Mary's Church in the 1980s and his grandfather was vicar of Temuka during the Depression of the late 1920s and early 1930s and an archdeacon. "There was no expectation for me to follow suit. It has to be personal call." "There is real strength in being together," Mr Mountfort said.
Note the Benvenue Monument on the intersection Sophia St. and Church St (running north-south)
Before the bell tower was built.
For church and tradition. Just after 9am on Monday 22nd July 2013 for nearly ten minutes the ''bells'' of St Mary's rang out across inner-city Timaru to announce the news of the Royal baby thanks to a vestryman and the church's sound system and the CD Church Bells of England.
Timaru Herald, 20 August 1880, Page 3
OLD ST. MARY'S AND TWENTY TEARS AGO.
Before the last piece of timber is removed from the old church, it may not be uninteresting to many of our readers to trace briefly back the years to the time when St. Mary's stood alone, and was marked as the sole church of any denomination in South Canterbury. This of itself is worth noting, for, as a rule, Church of England members are behindhand in erecting places of worship compared to other denominations, it being found in most districts of the colony that the Wesleyans are generally first in the field in the erection of a chapel or church. We are not old enough for ruins yet, and the memories conjured up by their histories do not belong to the colonist; yet when we look back for the short space of even twenty years we shall see enough of change between that brief past and this present to justify a retrospect, � these few years in a colony being equal in point of progressive improvement to thrice their term in older lands. It may not be out of place to call to mind the resources of Timaru, and the general material, social, and political aspect of the district generally when the building of a church in the town was first mooted. From such a sketch the more modern settler will be able to appreciate the difficulties that stood in the way of the early colonist to inaugurate social and material improvement of any kind ; difficulties which can hardly be understood in the present day as belonging to a community separated only from him by period of one-and-twenty years, for it was then (in the year 1859) that the building of a church in Timaru began to be discussed by the settlers. Existing circumstances at the time, however, did not hold out much hope that the idea would soon take practical shape, for not only were all materials resources hard to command, but the social condition of the town and district was in such a to warrant sanguine hope that the building of a church could be undertaken with any prospect success for many years. Yet, the old adage " where there is a will there's way" was here again proved, and a honor to those men who then proved in the first place the money difficulty was the greatest, and in this the sparseness the population of town and country present an all sufficient reason for despairing of collecting enough funds for the building of a church. In the December previous the population of the town within the present Borough boundaries was exactly sixteen souls, and the wide stretching district between the Rangitata and Waitangi rivers mustered only 2_ human beings. " Timaru" in those days consisted of " Cain's" store and dwelling house, a small portion of the present Royal Hotel; Sam Williams' public-house on the beach; a tumble down woolshed also on the beach; and a still more tumble down shed on the top of the hill not far from where Anderson's grocery store now stands. Altogether this was by no means encouraging field from which to raise thousand pounds. Then again, thorogh bearing in a less degree on the trouble to be encountered and overcome in the task the promoters had set for themselves, was the position of South Canterbury with the outside world. Communication in those days was, even wilt Christchurch � then a tiny place� most uncertain, not to say dangerous in time of nor'-westers and flooded river " Baines" pack horse � soon afterwards be replaced by an outrigger White chapel � had then the honor of carrying Her Majesty's mails, which duty was performed with passing regularity one a fortnight. Roads of course there were none ; sheep tracks, and the most devious, being the only resemblance of a pathway between stations and shepherds' huts far remote from one another. The river Rakaia was then regarded as the Ultima Thule of civilization, and few ventured across to the unknown of Timaru and the South. Prior to 1859 when the Rev. Mr Foster first came into the district the visits of clergymen were very few and far between, and religious ministration entirely absent. No one then was christened, no one married, and we have no recollection of anyone being buried. The first clergyman who visited South Canterbury was the late Bishop of Lichfield, Bishop Selwyn, who in the year 1846 started from Akaroa, and accompanied by some Maoris travelled on foot as far south as Otakou, now Dunedin, then little more than a whaling village. Over a decade went by ere another clergyman entered these wilds in the person of our present Primate, who, in April, 1857, accompanied by the present Incumbent of Timaru, passed through the district on his first pastoral visit en route to the extremities of his large diocese, which extended from the Waiau to the north to Jacob's River (where Riverton now stands) to the south. That the Bishop was the only clergyman who then ever visited the district is confirmed by a question we well recollect being asked by an outlying settler of " when was the Bishop coming again ?" and as these visits were of necessity but annual occurrences, they were the more valued and looked forward to. Two stories of these days illustrate forcibly the primitiveness of the people, and the odd, queer notions entertained of what was thought to be the standard of politeness. Not a hundred miles from Timaru the Bishop, on his first journey in 1857, had occasion to stop for midday refreshment, and pulling up at a house, was of course hospitably received and luncheon prepared. The Bishop entered, leaving his companion in charge of the horses. This gentleman, whilst the cloth was evidently being laid, heard the host ask his wife why she had only laid places for three (the man, his wife, and the Bishop). ," Oh ! " replied the fair one, "he is only the Bishop's man; he can wait." The "Bishop's man " being no less a personage than our Ven. Archdeacon. And again, when travelling one day in Otago, the Bishop had occasion to enter a cottage, leaving his son outside. Soon after the Bishop had closed the door, a man's face emerged round one end of the building, but quickly disappeared. Again the face was seen, and this time the owner of it came forward, bearing in one hand a bottle of whiskey, in the other a tin pannikin. Hastily approaching Mr Harper, he hoarsely whispered "Now the guvnor's inside, 'ave some whisky." Such quaint odd stories of the early days tell of the existence of a society hardly to be met with now, and perhaps the occasion for them is not to be regretted ; still, they mark an epoch in our history, and as such deserve to be recorded. In treating of these old times, we have, we fear, wandered from our subject, but have succeeded, we hope, in giving a fair reflex of the times, and shown the difficulties which stood in the way of reformers of the period. ' Old St. Mary's may be said to have had a beginning in 1859, when three gentlemen (still amongst us) met together and talked over the possibilities of building a church in Timaru. These gentlemen were Mr Woollcombe, Mr H. Cain, and Mr Belfield. To clear the way, it was necessary to secure a bit of land, the attainment of which was made easy through the liberality of the late Mr George Rhodes, of the Levels ; that gentleman giving the land, and a sum of money besides as a donation towards the hoped for building. By dint of personal exertion of the above-named gentlemen, and through the solicitations of friends in England, enough money was at last raised to justify building, and in the following year (Mr Woollcombe performing the duties of architect,) a contract was taken by Mr Ralph Simpson, sen. The church was of humble pretensions, 40ft x 25ft. The timber for it came from Waimate or from the Arowhenua bush, which in those days fringed the north bank of the Opihi River, close bordering the Main North Road ; and right good timber it has proved to be, for after twenty years of existence plates and boards are as sound as when first cut. Early in 1861 the building was finished at a cost of L1007, and on the 28th of April of the same year, the church was consecrated by the Bishop. The petition for the consecration contained the following names � viz., George Foster, Curate ; Belfield Woollcombe and Henry John LeCren, Churchwardens ; Thomas Ottery Rayner, William Hornbrook, John Beswick, Henry Cain, James King, Herbert Belfield, Edward Butler, and Thomas W. Hall, Vestrymen. During the time the church was in course of erection, the Rev. Mr Foster held service on a few occasions in a building erected where Cole's Bank Hotel now stands, and afterwards in the old disused woolshed on the top of the hill, then fitted up as a schoolhouse. In 1868 the church was enlarged by an addition in stone. But again a few years later, the accommodation afforded was insufficient, and a movement was set on foot first to build a church school to afford church room pending the erection of an entirely new edifice on the old site. The first part of the programme has been carried out, and the second has been initiated by pulling down " old St. Mary's."
Timaru Courier August 5th 2010 Church's 150th
includes candlelight tours of tower
By Rachael Comer
Starlight, star bright, let's climb St Mary's tower tonight to see the lights. As part of 150th celebrations at the church, Sunset and Starlight tours will be held at the St Mary's Church belltower tomorrow night from 6pm to 10pm. People will be able to climb to the top of the 114-step tower to the 33m-high balcony to see views of Timaru. The community of Timaru has been so generous towards the church's restoration, organiser said. We usually charge $2 a person to go to the top of the tower, but on Friday the tour will be free, as a thank-you to the community. The tower had been closed for the past year during the church's restoration, she said. The tower will be lit up by candlelight and there will be people guiding visitors to the top. Somebody with a background in astronomy would be at the top to point out features in the night sky. The church's 150th celebrations begin tomorrow and run until August 15. Included in the birthday events will be a special concert, church tours, a Thanksgiving holy communion, a wedding dress exhibition, a book launch and a celebration dinner.
In 2013 the church only has 250 parishioners but it had historical and social value for the district.
Button, John Love and faithfulness : stories of St. Mary's Timaru 1860 - 2010 / John Button
Gibb, Dorothy A First Look at St. Mary's . pre 2000.
Archdeacon R.P.F Plaistowe, edited by
St. Mary's Timaru 1861-1961
extracts from St Mary's. P. W. Hutton and Co. 1918 (W.H. Foden)
being a short account of its history, with a full
description of the building and of the various memorials contained therein / by
Henry W. Harper (Henry William) (
1833-1922). Timaru, N.Z. : St. Mary's, 1961. Book  p. : ill. ; 22
Harper, Henry W. St. Mary's Church, Timaru, New Zealand : being a short account of its history, with a full description of the building and of the various memorials contained therein / by Henry W. Harper.
Publisher: Timaru [N.Z.] : P.W. Hutton, 1918. (Timaru : W.H. Foden) Book 28 p.,  p. of plates : ill., port. ; 22 cm.
H.W. (Harold Wyatt) (Vicar
of St. Mary's and Archdeacon of Timaru) A Joy For Ever: St Mary's Parish
Church, Timaru. Wellington: Harry H. Tombs Ltd, printers, 1945 : Wellington.
76 pages, green cloth, limited to 600 copies. Some early church photos. Hardback
with dust jacket. Many colour illustrations, wash drawings, line drawings
and B&W photographs. Photo of War Memorial with clearly readable names. In this book the author claims that the
church of St. Mary's is the most complete and finished piece of gothic
architecture in New Zealand and he attempts to make known to a wider public an
achievement in building which deserves recognition. History of church building
styles and of the church windows, parish buildings, furnishings names of
donors., etc. Lists of names:
Book of Remembrance Dec 31, 1944 to end Dec 1945 (incl birth years)
The Clergy and workers
And other lists.
WARD, H.V. Diocesan Lay Reader, Onward St. Mary's
Button, John Love and Faithfulness - Stories of St. Mary's Timaru An
elaborate account of the church of St Mary, gives extensive detail on the parish
and its activities focusing especially on the modern era. Superbly presented
and illustrated. Hardback - 368 pages. Published 2010