From the tower of St Mary's Church the view looks west up Church Street. One or two of the buildings still exist in August 2008 - the Wesleyan Church the large whitish building on the left hand side and the wooden two storied building opposite it. The above postcard is labeled wrong - the mountain range is the Two Thumb Range not the Southern Alps.
Know a town's street-names, and you know half its history.
Timaru Herald Tuesday 15 October 1889 pg2 Street Names.
Timaru Borough Council Meeting Councillors present - His Worship the Mayor (Mr D.M. Ross) and Councillors Sherratt, Grandi, Foley, Hill, Jackson, Crawford, Burford, Delaney, Drummond, Bennett, Hall-Jones, and Owers.
Councillor Hill pointed out that already streets were named after men who had done something for the town, and he thought they should follow this line out by perpetuating the names of men who tried to make the town; say the names of ex mayors and the mayor, and other leading men. Councillor Hill moved "That the Main road from George Street to the northern town boundary be altered from Great North Road to Stafford Street." With regard to claims to "Stafford" he explained that the name Turnbull deserved to be bracketted with it, for it was through the latter gentleman that the £100,000 had been put on the Provincial Council estimates for the Timaru harbour works, and then claimed by Stafford under the Bill. They should give honour to whom honour was due. Mr Turnbull had further got a grant of £200 for Sir John Coode's expenses.
As an amendment it was proposed "That the Main road from Whale's Creek to its junction with King Street be named Stafford Street. This was carried. No. 1 Right of way was named Turnbull Street and No. 2 Right of way Cliff Street. Grey Street eventually agreed to.
Caroline Bay Gleniti Glenwood Granlea
Highfield Kensington Maori Hill Marchweil Parkside
Puhuka Redruth Seaview Smithfield
Waimataitai Washdyke Watlington West End
Streets in the Glenwood subdivision down Morgan Rd were constructed in the early
1970s and around Aorangi Stadium are named after hydro-electric dams: Aviemore,
Benmore, Hawera, Pukaki, Tekapo, Waitaki and up country stations: Balmoral,
Streets along the Centennial Park walkway are named after New Zealand native trees :Kuri, Kowhi, Matai, Miri, Miro, Nikua, Puriri, Pukatea, Rowan Place, Rumi, Rata, Tawa, Totara
Some of the streets in the Kensington area are named after English countries: Devon St, Cornwall, Hertford St, Somerset
Around the hospital there is Queen St, Edward St, Catherine St, King St, Princes St, Memorial St, Victoria St, William St.
Other streets their name depicts the location: Cemetery Hill, Cliff St, Marine Parade, Mountain View Rd, The Bay Hill, The Terrace, Park View Terrace, Peel View Place (Mt Peel), Port Loop Road, Scenic Drive, Station St. (where you can still find the railway station)
But the majority of the streets are named after old settlers, e.g. Baker,
Campbell, Dawson, Evans, Fraser, Hayes, Hayman, Le Cren, Orbell, Stafford, Unwin,
Rhodes, Wright, etc. A few are named
after historic events, ships or people that effected the town:
Benvenue Avenue, Perth St, Strathallan St, Clyde Carr Crescent, Stafford St.
Timaru street map
Streets - 275 names
King George Place
Le Cren St
Old North Rd
St George St
St Johns Ave
Te Weka St
Grants Road was named after a Scottish shepherd, William Grant, who came out to Tripp at Orari Gorge with his brother Andrew and settled at Elloughton Grange to become the South Island's biggest sheep dealer.
For the more obscure names try Land Information NZ site.
The Streets of Timaru -
J.B. Hamilton. Published in October 1975, detailed information behind the naming
of said streets. Published by the Timaru Historical Society, and printed by The
Timaru Herald. 80 pages. Hardcover with dust jacket; 79 pages w/ street index &
fold-out map. 21cmx14cm. Commissioned in 1975 by the South Canterbury Historical
Society this book contains historical information, info on the Timaru Coat of
Arms, 248 street entries and a fold-out map at rear. A slightly unusual
publication in that the jacket cannot be removed from blank boards.
A new edition of Streets of Timaru was published in 2011 the support of South Canterbury Historical Society and the South Canterbury Museum. The book was first produced by the Society in 1974, and written by J.B. Hamilton. It provided readers with an account of how each street in Timaru received its name, along with various historical details. It will include text for the many new streets that have been named since 1974. Nearly sold out.
37 Dee Street, Timaru
Stafford St., central
Timaru Herald, 9 June 1882, Page 2
Our Streets — The streets of Timaru are in a frightful mess from the continued rain, covered thickly with a mud liquid enough to splash, but not liquid enough to flow downhill when it has a chance. Why are not a few of the principal crossings and the approaches to the railway station kept decently passable? Is the Borough Council, like the Harbor Board, short of appliances? Let us have a special rate, if necessary, to buy a scraper or two. Why not get out the hydrants and wash this disgusting mud into the sea?
Stafford St, looking south. Langwoods was on the left where the Kodak sign is located.
Beautiful. Blossom - Broadway Ave, Sept. 11 2010. Photo taken by M.T.
BANK STREET - Bank Gully was a small but deep stream, the Bank street crosses it, Bank Street sewer. 400 metres down the stream passed the BNZ.
Timaru Herald, 30 October 1867, Page 2
Mr Cliff gave notice of motion that he should move at the next general meeting that the formation of Bank street be proceeded with according to the report furnished by the Engineer. Mr Melton gave notice of motion that the money in hand be expended on those works, and in the order as suggested by the Engineer in his report.
Timaru Herald, 30 November 1867, Page 6
According to previous notice of motion, Mr Cliff moved That George street, to its junction with Latter street, thence to North street, and from George street to Arthur street, and its junction with Bank street, be formed in accordance with the engineer's estimate. Seconded by Mr Cardale, and carried. The following tenders for forming Bank street were opened
Mr Joseph Ellis £81 10
Mr J. Forgan £73
Mr. H. Exley £70
Mr John Gibson £68
Timaru Herald, 12 February 1873, Page 3
A letter was read from Mr George Kay, requesting the Council to take into consideration the approach to Bank street, which in its present state was very unsafe for vehicles, especially m wet weather, when it became necessary to go- round by North street. He would submit that the danger was as great in descending the steep hill at this spot as it was at Butler street, and, consequently, dangerous to persons in vehicles.
Timaru Herald, 16 July 1873, Page 3
A letter was read from Mr J. Wilson, requesting that the continuation of Arthur street from Bank- street to Grey street might be formed, and stating that the amount of traffic on the road would warrant a small outlay upon it. Proposed by Councillor Hibbard, seconded by Councillor Padget. That the continuation of road from Arthur-street to Grey street be formed."
Perennial favourite signs of spring – daffodils, bees, lambs, blossoms