Geraldine's Streets & Roads
Upper Talbot St., Geraldine
Know a town's street-names and you know half its history.
|Arundel Belfield Road
Gale Cutting Road
Gapes Valley Rd
Geraldine Flat Road
Gladstone Street North
Gladstone Street South
Main North Road
North Terrace Road
Oak Street aka Slack St
Orari Back Road
Orari Station Road
Pleasant Valley Road
Slacks Valley Road
South Boundary Road
South Terrace Road
St Andrew Street
Te Moana Road aka Speechly Rd
Winchester Hanging Rock Road
streets, however, were named after people. Nowadays it is council policy not to
name streets after individuals.
Instead, land subdividers are invited to propose several names for new streets, but often no reason is given for the one the council chooses.
Many of streets in Geraldine notables such as past mayors and
councillors e.g. MacDonald Street. Beauchamp Ranald MacDonald, mayor of
Geraldine 1918 to 1921 and again from 1931 to 1938. He was also a member of the
South Canterbury Hospital Board for 11 years and the South Canterbury
Electricity Power Board for six years. He spent 21 years as president of the
Geraldine Racing Club and an unknown number of years as president of the South
Canterbury Cricket Association. Mr MacDonald was born in 1868, the eldest child
of Angus MacDonald of Waitui, and died in 1940.
Coach Road was previously known as Peckham’s Road, which was later on misspelt as Packham’s Road. Horsedrawn coaches ran between Geraldine and the Orari rail station carrying passengers and mail before the advent of motor transport. Successive coach proprietors were Kennedy and Mundell, Bob Scott and Noah Sherratt.
Connolly's Road aka Long Jacks Valley Road. This road became
part of State Hwy 79
Jeremiah Connolly lived at 730.850 in 1887. He bought section 10703 of 80 acres in 1868. His son Jeremiah, became a well-known stock dealer. During WWI he owned Raukapuka. He later went to a property in Rakaia district.
Frederick Robert FLATMAN ( 1843-1911)
Home at "Summerlea". Member of Parliament. Member of Timaru Harbour Board. His son F R Flatman was chairman Timaru Harbour Board 1940-1944. With ROBERT TAYLOR (Taylor st. Geraldine) he gave the site in 1877 for St THOMAS'S CHURCH, Woodbury. Memorial window to him in the church
Huffey Street was earlier known as Cemetery Road. Later named Huffey Street
after John Huffey, who was an early resident of Geraldine. In 1866 he bought
section 10808 of 50 acres. He was a bricklayer
and landowner and helped to build the cob church of St. Anne at Pleasant Valley.
Mr Huffey kept a store on the corner of Talbot and Huffey Streets, and died in
1917 aged 92.
William Stephen MASLIN
A son of Caleb Maslin he carried on sawmill established by his father at Geraldine, was farming and had a store, first Mayor of Geraldine. Member of Parliament for Rangitata seat in 1893 as a liberal. Caleb Maslin built a house in Cemetery Road which Alfred Cox bought as a parsonage for the Rev LL. BROWN the first vicar of Geraldine.
Evening Post, 22 August 1917, Page 3
Timaru Herald, 21 August 1917, Page 11
Mr. Caleb Ezekiel Sherratt, one of the oldest residents of the Geraldine district, died on Sunday last, at the age of 75 years. He was born at Moira, Leicestershire, and was for some years engaged in mining in England. With his brother, Mr. Amos Sherratt, he arrived at Lyttelton in the ship Captain Cook in 1863. The brothers became engaged in contracting work, which they carried on. for some years. Mr. Sherratt was subsequently clerk to the Geraldine Road Board, and later held the position of Clerk of the Court in the earlier 70s. In the earlier days he was an office-bearer of the Methodist Church and local preacher. For the past few years he has lived in retirement at Geraldine. He leaves a widow, end two sons, Mr W. C. Sherratt and Mr Noah Sherratt both of Geraldine, and two daughters. Mrs A. Borrell of Geraldine and Mrs W. Trengrove of Timaru. and many grand-children, to mourn his loss.
Mary Ann 31
Mary Ann 6
Sir Thomas TANCRED 1808-1880 of Raukapuka. A member of a
Yorkshire family he came to New Zealand in 1853 in the `Minerva' and took a
leading part in the settlement of North Canterbury, acquiring an interest in
sheep farms there and at Ashburton. He subsequently transferred this property to
his son Clement William Tancred and moved to the North Island where he died.
Horace Edward TEMPLER (1851-1916 )
He joined the Bank of New South Wales in Australia and came to New Zealand. He was appointed manager of the branch at Geraldine in 1876. He retired from the Bank and went farming. Then he became clerk to the Mount Peel Road Board and to the Geraldine County Council.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project