FGR photo 5488 c. 1916, note the weatherboards. Photo in 2004 shows the building has been rough casted with cement.
St Stephen's Anglican up Kirke St, Fairlie opposite the school/community library was consecrated 9 Jan. 1896 by Bishop Churchill Julius with Archdeacon Henry W. Harper present is a small historic wooden church, with a roughcast concrete over the exterior and a fabulous interior with beautiful stained windows. The architect was James Turnbull. Vicar at the time was Stanley Hinson and the secretary was D.H. Gillingham. This church named partly in honour of Stephen Gillingham who served this church for many years. Services where held by Rev. Preston from Geraldine at three weekly intervals at Gillingham's Lambrook property, south of Fairlie, until the church was built. It is said that every parishioner drove a nail into this church while it was being built.
Another photo - search keyword Fairlie
Past The Timaru Herald Wednesday 17 July 1895
The foundation stone was laid on Monday 15th July during the severe winter of 1895.
Timaru Herald, 17
December 1895, Page 2
Mr Thomas Foden, contractor of the building of the new English Church in course of erection at Fairlie, met with an accident on Friday afternoon. Mr Foden was engaged m fixing a cross on the gable end of the church when he lost his balance, falling from a height of 20 feet to the ground. Luckily his fall was partly broken by scaffolding some 10ft below, otherwise the consequences would have been much more serious. As it is Mr Foden had his arm broken, besides internal injuries and bruises. The sufferer was promptly attended to by Dr Dryden, and is progressing satisfactorily.
Timaru Herald, 17 May 1898,
The annual meeting of parishioners in the parochial district of Fairlie was held m the vestry of St. Stephen's Church on Saturday evening. The attendance was small, and the Rev. S. Hinson presided. After the minutes of last annual meeting had been read and confirmed, the chairman requested the warden, Mr F. Gillingham, to read the report and balance sheet for the past year. The balance sheet -showed that the receipts (including balance from last year) amounted to �130 2s 7d, and the expenditure (including payment of �62 10s to stipend fund), �91 19s 3d, leaving a balance m the Post Office Savings Bank of �38 3s 4d. The churchwarden reported that there had been 76 services held during the year, 26 by clergymen, and 50 by lay readers. The offertories amounted to �36 16s 8d, and the average attendance at services showed a falling off from that of last year. The vicar said that he regretted to hear of the decrease in the attendance, and he trusted that it would not prove permanent. The report and balance sheet were adopted. The retiring churchwarden and church officers were re-elected;� Mr Gillingham (churchwarden), and Messrs Isaac Battison, F. Langridge, Frank Freyne, Charles Talbot, F. LeCren, jun., and H. Robinson, vestrymen. A vote of thanks was passed to the Rev. W. H. Seddon, for the gift of four new lamps, to Mr Binney for making rods for hanging the lamps, to Miss Hamilton for care of sanctuary, to the organists, choir, Sunday school teachers, and lay readers, Messrs C. Small and F. Gillingham. The rev. chairman closed the meeting m the usual way.
In 1895 Mr Frederic LeCren, of Timaru, offered to present to the new church a harmonium. It was unanimously accepted. In 1915 Mr Harry A. Le Cren, Fairlie, offered a a two- manual pipe organ by Kimball, that he owned, for 100 pounds, and this was accepted but the Vestry was slow in paying so he finally donated it. Mr Hathaway, Timaru installed it and the N.Z. Express Company carted it from Timaru to Fairlie. The organ surround was built by H.T. Foden in 1959.
Is there another set of windows behind the beautiful harmonium?
To the Glory of God, and in humble Thanksgiving for the earthly life of Thomas Rowley Seddon of Ashwick Station. He lived as serving Him who is invisible and was called into the Paradise of God, Sept. 28th 1896, aged 43.
2. far left
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Catherine L. Hamilton. A devour worshipper in this Church from 1894 to 1900. Who interred rest at All Saints Home Beckenham, England Feb. 20, 1901, Aged 66. This picture of St. Stephens is dedicated.
Four Stained Glass Windows
1.The east window of the church, 3 lights, 'The Navity' work of John Lisle the designer and made by C.E. Kempe & Co. Ltd, London, was donated in Dec. 1898 (by widow Harriet L. Seddon) in memory of Mr Thomas R. Seddon (d. 28 Sept. 1896. age 43) of Ashwick Station who donated the land for the church and vicarage.
2. 'Christ and Children of Many Nations', 2 lights, attributed to John Brock, Dunedin. [Ref: Fiona Ciaran book Stained Glass Windows of Canterbury, New Zealand] commemorating Charles Talbot 1873-1942
3. 'Christ and Children' designed by Frederick Mash and made by Smith and Smith, Ltd. Christchurch 1919 commemorates Sgt. Rowland F. Piper who was killed in action at Flanders 8 Dec. 1917. Donors were his parents. Frederick Mash, (1867-1955), was born and trained in England and brought to New Zealand in 1912 by Mr Briton Smith, the then managing director of Smith and Smith Ltd. Mash work for that firm's Christchurch branch for thirty five years. He is one of the major early contributors to the development of painted and fired stained glass in New Zealand. Mash was very accomplished at glass painting, staining, firing and acid etching. Ref. The Architectural Heritage of Christchurch. CHCH City Council Town planning Division 1986. In the Timaru Herald on 21 April 2012 under Museum Piece there is a photo of Rowland Francis Piper, service No. 2/2510 in 1915 in full uniform mounted on a horse. He was killed in Ypres, Belgium on December 8 1917, holding the rank of sergeant. The museum has a medallion given to the family from the Tycko (Taiko) district. Many local committees produced medallions to honour those from the district who had fought in the war. His name is also recorded on the Taiko War Memorial. His parents, Frank and Emmeline Piper, of Waihi Tce, Geraldine arranged for the stained glass window at St. Stephens. His parents also received a shield- shaped 9 carat gold badge with rifles, cannon, tank and a plane depicted and with TYCHO 1921 SERGT. R.F. PIPER, who fell in the great war, engraved on the back. The South Canterbury Museum also has his memorial plaque.
4. 'The Good Shepherd' (north nave) is in memory of Trooper C.P. Dorman who died on Gallipoli 18 Dec, 1915 given in 1917 by his parents May and Arthur Dorman. Designed by Frederick Marsh, Christchurch and made by Smith and Smith Ltd, CHCH.
[names in will]
[Mary Helen Dorman, mother.]
[Arthur Dorman, farmer, Fairlie]
[John William Dorman, age 20 in 1916, brother]
[No. 7/1350 Trooper Charles Percy Dorman of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, NZEF, died in action at Dardanelles, 18th December 1915.]
[John Robert Lack, Company Manager, Fairlie
Peter Gaffaney, Buyer, Fairlie
Arthur Hammond, accountant, C.F.C.A., Fairlie
J. Caskey, saddler, Fairlie]
Suffer Little Children "I am the true Vine"
To the Glory of God and the loving Memory of Sergt. Rowland Francis Piper, N.Z.F.A. Killed in action in Flanders 8th December 1917. He gave his life for many.
To the Glory of God in loving memory of Charles Percy Dorman, N.Z.E.F.
An ANZAC who died for The Empire on Gallipoli Dec.18th 1915.
Inscribed right lower corner with the maker and designer's names.
THE CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN'S at Fairlie is built of wood and iron, and was erected in 1896 (free of debt). It is a good and well appointed church and has accommodation for about 100 adults. The site consists of half an acre and is centrally located in the township. Services are held morning and evening every Sunday. There is a Sunday School attended by twenty-one children in charge of three teachers. The vicar-in-charge resides at Pleasant Point. Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. 1903The annual spring St. Stephens Flower Show began in 1910 has been going on for more than one hundred years. Any child who went to Fairlie schools will remember these event with school art work displayed and animals made out of toothpicks and vegetables. The Parish Hall was demolished in 1991 and the land sold to the Department of Education.
Today church services are jointly Anglican & Presbyterian.
1st Sunday 8 am St Stephens
2nd & 4th Sunday St Stephens
1st, 3rd & 5th 9: 30 am St Columba
The Rev. Michael Kerr retired end Dec. 2012 after 46 years in ministry. He served in a number of parishes, as well as in hospital chaplaincy.
Radcliffe Collection, Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, NZ.
Auckland Cities Library image by James D Richardson showing the exterior view of St Stephens Church, Fairlie.
In the book 'Fairlie 1866-2000' by The Fairlie Work Trust Inc. page 61 there are photos of the three churches in Fairlie including a photo of St Stephen's taken from the opposite direction circa 1900 with a white picket gateway. Frederick George Radcliffe 1863-1923. Farmer, photographer.
Reference: Goodwin, George St Stephen's Anglican Church, Fairlie. One hundred years 1896-1996 30 pg. Hilton Press.
October 2004 taken by Winsome April 2011 taken by Bruce Comfort.
Observer, 28 September 1918, Page 4
Going to take charge of the Church of England Soldiers' Institute at Rotorua and act as Anglican Chaplain of the King George V. Hospital, Rev. H. O. T. Hanby. H.O.T. was not always a parson, for one remembers the palmy days when he used to beard the municipal big wigs and other folk in search of the elusive news par for the Auckland "Star." He always was a practical man in his religion, and should make an excellent padre for the somewhat difficult wounded convalescents. By the way, of late years H.O.T. has been away south at Fairlie, so that it will be like coming back to civilisation for him to find himself in the warmth at Rotorua.
Ellesmere Guardian, 27 March 1920, Page 1
The New Vicar of Leeston. FAREWELL AT FAIRLIE.
The "Timaru Herald" of a recent date gives an interesting account of a farewell social tendered to the Rev H. O. T. Hanby and Mrs Hanby, on the eve of their departure from Fairlie. It is evident from the report that Mr and Mrs Hanby were greatly esteemed by the people of Fairlie. The Herald report says:� On Friday evening, in spite of the heavy rain, the Parish Hall was well filled with parishioners and friends gathered to say farewell to Rev. and Mrs Hanby on their removal from the parish to the Leeston cure. Part of the evening was devoted to cards, the winners of the competitions being Miss Cooling and Mr H. Bateman, both of whom were heartily applauded. Supper was provided by the ladies of St Stephen's Guild and friends. Mr C. J. Talbot, people's warden, afterwards invited Mr and Mrs Hanby to the stage, and in officially farewelling the departing guests, deplored the wet weather, which was not only spoiling the crops, but had also prevented many people from being present at that evening's function. However, the excellent attendance spoke volumes for the practical, nature of the congregation's; appreciation of the work done by Mr and Mrs Hanby and the esteem in which they were held. Mr Hanby had proved a most energetic and capable vicar. He was possessed of much strength of character, and that he doubt brought him into antagonism with some, but no one could deny that he had worked earnestly and well, and in spite of a physical handicap bad got over his large parish, extending from near Albury to Mount Cook, in a manner which spoke eloquently for his perseverance and energy. His preaching had been marked by scholarly, thinking, and his organising and business ability had done much to improve the state of the, parish during his six years' stay in Fairlie. Mr Hanby had refused an excellent career in another walk in life in order to enter Holy Orders, and he was to be commended for having chosen the better part. They all wished him and his wife every success in future. Mrs Hanby had done the work of several women in the parish. Guild, Sunday school, organ and choir work had claimed nearly the whole of her time, and when she was head over ears in patriotic work in addition, and during the war she must have had a very strenuous time. All this work had been done so quietly and unostentatiously that it had probably gone almost unnoticed except by those who were closely associated with her. It would be found when she was gone, however, that she had been doing a lion's share, and any parish that secured her services would indeed be fortunate. She would leave a big blank in Fairlie �one that would be almost impossible to fill by any one person. They all wished her health and prosperity in the future, and could assure both Mr and Mrs Hanby that they left behind them many friends in Fairlie. Mr Talbot then handed Mr Hanby a well-filled purse as a parting gift, and a similar present to Mrs Hanby from the parishioners of Fairlie. Mrs Talbot presented Mrs Hanby with two valuable pieces of Doulton ware, with the good wishes of the Ladies' Guild. Mrs Hanby personally thanked the donors for their gift and for the expressions of goodwill which accompanied them. She only regretted that she had not been able to do more than: she had.
Warm applause was accorded Mrs Hanby, and a similar greeting was given Mr Hanby when he rose to reply. He spoke feelingly of the tribute paid to his wife, and endorsed all the good things that had been said of her and her work. She had never failed him, and had been a true helpmeet. As for j himself, he had many regrets at leaving Fairlie. When he took charge of the parish he determined to limit his stay to five years, and now after six years he was moving in accordance with his desire. He thought that a clergyman should not stay too long in one parish. It was better for the clergyman and the parish that a periodical change should be made. He was aware of the fact that not everyone in the parish was satisfied with him, but he had tried honestly to do his duty as he shay it, and he felt that it was better to have some enemies than to have failed when backbone was needed. He spoke of the j progress of the parish: during his stay in Fairlie, and paid a high tribute to the church officers for their zeal and co-operation. The burden of the huge parish had weighed upon him very much and could not have boon carried on if it had not been for the ready help given him. He would carry away with him the remembrance of many close friendships, and was proud to hand over to his successor a well organised and sound cure. He thanked the members of the parish for their gifts, more particularly for their kindly expressions of goodwill and appreciation. Rev. A. C. W. Standage, Presbyterian minister at Fairlie, spoke of the good relations which had always existed between Mr Hanby and himself, and welcomed the opportunity for fraternisation, of which there was not sufficient between the various churches. He bore testimony to the arduous work necessitated by the largeness of the parish. His personal experience in that direction enabled him to appreciate to the full the work done by Mr Hanby, especially as the latter was labouring Under a physical handicap. Mr Standage referred to the fine patriotic work done by Mr and Mrs Hanby during the war, and thanked them from the members of his own congregation for that work. He concluded by referring to the spiritual work done by Mr Hanby, and hoped he would be long spared to follow the noble vocation he had chosen. Mr Hanby, in thanking Mr Standage for his remarks and good wishes, paid a tribute to the Presbyterian Church. It was a pleasure to him to be able to work with its clergy whenever possible. Musical items were given by Mesdames Talbot, Wright, Miles and Macdonald and Messrs Buckley (3), J. Braddick and H. Foden. Musical honours were accorded the guests of the evening, and after the usual votes of thanks the pronouncement of the. Benediction concluded the proceedings. Apologies for absence were received from Mrs H. A. LeCren and F. R. Gillingham.
ANOTHER PRESENTATION. At the forty fourth and final social in honour of soldiers held at Fairlie, Mr C. J. Talbot (ex M.P.), on behalf of the residents of Fairlie and surrounding districts presented the Rev and Mrs Hanby with substantial cheques as a recognition of their public services, especially in patriotic work, during their stay of six years in the Fairlie parish. Mr Talbot briefly recounted their activities, and made special mention of the monthly letters, Mr Hanby, with the co-operation of the Patriotic Society, sent to each man who left Mackenzie Country, irrespective of sect, during the greater part of the war. They had proved most acceptable, as had also the seasonable parcels sent by post to each man at Christmas and New Year. Mrs Hanby had done much in organising the latter work, and had also taken in hand other patriotic movements in the district. They all wished Mr and Mrs Hanby much success in their new parish at Leeston. Mrs Hanby suitably replied, thanking the donors for their good wishes and their thanks. She had done no more than her duty, and was glad to have been of some assistance in the nation's crisis. Mr Hanby also replied feelingly at some length, and paid a very high tribute to the organising ability, enthusiasm and, hard work of the secretary of the society, Mr W.T. Ormandy. He was proud of the fact that the monthly letters compiled by himself, and sent forward by the society, had been a boon to the men. The committee provided a good working team, and he had formed fast friendships both in church and patriotic work in the district. He felt however, it was desirable for a clergyman not to stay too long in one place, and he felt some relief in undertaking a smaller parish than the huge one of Fairlie. Mr Hanby concluded by again thanking the donors for their gift, and those present for their cordial good wishes. This part of the programme was concluded with musical honours and cheers for Mr and Mrs Hanby.
Otago Witness, 30 July 1902, Page 43
Star, 25 July 1902, Page 3
MORRIS - CROSS. On the 21st July, at St. Stephen's Church, Fairlie by the Rev. Stanley Hanson, Arthur William, third son of Mr A. W. Morris, Dunedin to Agnes Durroch, second daughter of Mr Frederick Cross, Fairlie.
Timaru Herald, 24 November 1913, Page
BRAY�OLSEN. One of the prettiest weddings for some years in Fairlie was celebrated in St. Stephen's Church, on Wednesday last, when Miss Ivy L. Bray, eldest daughter. of Mr John Bray, of Langdon, Cricklewood was married to Mr William Olsen, of the North Island, the Rev. H. A. Roberts performing the marriage ceremony. The bride was given away by her father. The bridesmaids were Messrs Rosie and Daisy Bray, sisters of the bride. The best man's position was filled by Mr A. Olsen, brother of the bridegroom, while that of groomsman was filled by Mr Albert Johnson. Flower girls were Miss Adkins and Miss Ivy Boulton; page boys, Master Gordon Bray, (Cricklewood), and Master Ellis Bray (Ashburton). The bride wore a dress of cream satin trimmed with oriental trimming, long square court train, and veil. The bridesmaids were dressed in cream silk trimmed with oriental trimming, wore mop caps and carried bouquets of arum lilies, clematis, and maiden hail- fern. The flower girls wore white silk dresses, and the page boys were dressed in sailor suits. After the ceremony the bridal party with their friends motored to the bride's late home at Cricklewood where a first-class breakfast was provided. The room in which the breakfast was laid was beautifully decorated with ferns, flowers, etc. Amongst those present were:�
Mrs Hannifiin in black costume
Mrs AY. Bray, black voile lace vest
Mrs W. Struthers. pale green silk
Miss Roberts, blue poplin
Mrs E. Bray, cream duchess silk
Mrs W. Wreford, navy costume
Mrs Stevenson, grey costume
Mrs Adkins, brown silk
Miss D. Jones, cream silk with oriental trimming
Miss Small, blue velvet trimming
Miss Mary Jones, cream Chinese silk
Mrs Siegert blue silk
Miss Siegert cream silk
Miss Perry, navy costume, black satin trimming
Mrs Charles Jones, navy blue gown
Mrs Keenan, grey costume
Mrs Bussell, blue silk trimmed with black
Miss N. Sheehan, navy blue costume
Miss J. Sheehan, brown costume
Miss Hannifin, black voile
Miss Wills, white silk
Miss Fulton, cream serge
Miss L. Welsh, blue serge costume; and many others.;
The presents, which were .numerous, and costly,
were as follows: �Bridegroom to bride, gold bangle; to bridesmaids, gold
brooches; to flowergirls gold brooches: to pages boys watches; bride to
bridegroom, gold sovereign purse;
M' and Mrs C. R. Jones, silver cake tray
Mr Martin Ryan, silver manicure set
Miss Anderson, tray cloths
Mr and Mrs C. B. Jones, oak tray and silver-mounted bread board and knife
Messrs Siegert Bros., set carvers
Mrs Fulton, lace curtains
Mr F. Crampton, silver bread board and knife
Mr W. Patterson, silver candlestick
Mr and Mrs Burgess, silver egg cruet
Mr and Mrs O'Dowel, biscuit barrell
Mr and Mrs R. Gillingham, teapot and stand
Mr and Mrs W. Struthers, silver vases
Mr and Mrs Curran, jam dishes
Miss Ada Curran, jam dish
Mr Albert Johnson, silver ontre dish
Mr M. Hannifin, silver candlestick
Mr and Mrs W.G. Stephens, honey jar
Messrs J. Adams and P. C. Smith, silver jam dish
Master Ellis Bray, silver inkstand
Miss L. Irwin, jewel case
Mr Alf. Bray, silver fruit dish
Mrs and Mr H. Welsh, oak tray and set glasses
Miss Simpson, pair vases
Mr and Mrs J. Braddick, flower bowl
Mr E. Robinson pair vases
Miss Fulton, flower bowl
Mr J. O'Connor, cheese dish
Mr and Mrs R. Leitch, set silver afternoon teaspoons
Mrs Keenan, set knives and forks
Mr and Mrs Laverty, set knives and forks
Mr and Mrs W. Sheenan, pair silver vases
Mr Clark, set silver spoons
Miss Allison, set silver spoons
Miss Small.. set silver spoons
Mr R. Nelson marble clock
Miss Burgess, fruit dishes
Mr J. Turkington, copper kettle
Mr J. Scannell, set irons
Mr and Mrs G. Dello, silver teapot
Mr J. Major, biscuit barrel
M and Mrs Cooling, pickle jar and sugar basin
Miss Perry, traycloth and d'oyles
Messrs P. and C Hannifin, silver hot water jug
Miss Body, set jugs
Mr J. Corbett, junr.. silver jam dish
the Vicarage, copper kettle
Mr H.W. Smith, jam spoon and bread fork
Mr and Mrs Gaffaney, cases and rose bowl
Mr and Mrs Hogarth, pair silver candlesticks
Mrs Watkinson, pair silver candlesticks
Mr Jack Campbell, silver butter dish
Miss Haley, silver sugar scuttle
Mrs and Miss Hannifin, silver cake tray
Mr W. Pike. silver butter dish
Mr J.R. Charteris, silver cake tray
Mr J. Nelson, salad bowl
Mr and Mrs Fife, set silver spoons
Miss A. Smart, silver butter dish
Mr and Mrs S. Jones, afternoon tea-set
Mr and Mrs G. E. Bray, silver spirit kettle
Mr and Mrs J. L. Christenson, biscuit barrel
Mrs and Mrs Perry, sugar basin
Mrs Allan, sugar basin
Mr Mackay and Sons, silver cake tray
Mr and Mrs W. Manning, hot water jug
Mr and Mrs R. Cooper, handkerchief satchel
Mr R. Kennedy silver teapot
Mr J. Cameron, salad bowl
Mr and Mrs Harper, cake stand
Mrs and Miss Welsh, copper tray
Mrs and Miss O'Connor, biscuit barrel
Mss Wade, salad dish
Mr and Mrs Wreford, bronze vase
Mr and Mrs Murray hearth rug
Mr and Mrs W. Bray, silver teapot
Mr J. B. Grant, pickel cruet;
Mr J. Corbell, biscuit barrel
Mr and Mrs J. Sims, bed spread
Mrs Adkins, table cover
Mr and Mrs Bussell quilt
Mr and Mrs Wills, table cover
Mr and Mrs Lack, table cover
Mr W. Boulton, cushion covers
Miss R. Bray, bed spread
Miss D. Bray, table cover and tray cloth
Mr Drake, towels
Mr and Mrs A. Smith, table cover and d'oyles
Mr and Mrs Farquhar, pillow shams
Mr and Mrs A. Scott, duchess set
Misses H. and J. Sheehan, table cover
Mrs Perry, duchess set
Miss Connor, duchess set
Mr and Mrs Johnson (Auckland), silver cake basket
Misses Johnson, serviette rings
Mr J. Kellahan, cream jug and sugar basin
Mr John Bray, cheque;
Mr and Mrs Marshall (Hokitika) carvers and teaspoons
Mr and Mrs Talbot, cheque
Connor Bros. cheque
Mr Boulton, cheque
Mr Capel cheque
In the evening a concert and dance were held lasting until the early hours of the morning.
Walter Ernest Detheridge
Born 11 Oct. 1904, Colombo, Ceylon
Died 3 Jan. 1977, age 62, Wellington
Married 22 April 1930 to Alice Emily Hansell d/o Rev. Arthur L. Hansell (St. James, Lower Hutt).
24 Feb.1933 Rev. W.E.D. Davies began his memorable time in Fairlie. There were bees in the church. The Vicarage roof leaked and he was given a bonus for his very hard work. For many years the Vestry pondered about the idea of building churches in outlying areas. Mr Davies may have been the catalyst inspiring others to move on the idea of building a church at Tekapo now one of the best known churches in New Zealand. At the Vestry meeting in November 1933 a letter was received from Messrs B.M. Murray, G. Murray, R.R. Beauchamp and G. Hunter Weston asking for such a church to be built ASAP. They backed their suggestion with generous promises of money and Mr George Murray donated the land. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Gloucester on 16th January 1935. My father was at that service and behind the door in the Church of the Good Shepherd hangs a photo of the crowd that attended. OB. The Davies family moved to Hokitika in August 1935.
Rev. W.E.D. Davies, c. winter 1936 with choir boys outside St. Stephens, Fairlie. Photo courtesy of John Shears. Post. Jan. 2014.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project