The Anglican Church of St Thomas [the
Photo taken in the spring, 4th October 2005 by Garry Toomey
The Church of St. Thomas, an Anglican Church, at Woodbury, was completed in 1938? as a memorial church in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Charles George Tripp, pioneer settlers. A Norman-styled slate-roofed building of local boulders, designed by Cecil Wood and built by members of the Tripp family, the church reflects a style of architecture prevalent in Devon, where Mr C. G. Tripp came from in 1855. The massive tower is built to his memory, and the nave was given as a memorial to his children, Charles Howard and Eleanor Howard Tripp. Oak for the carved furniture and for memorial tablets is from the Tripp homestead at Orari Gorge.
A wooden church was consecrated here in 1879. A public meeting to consider the erection of a church was held on 19th November, 1877 and on 28th March, 1879, St Thomas's Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Christchurch. The chancel and tower were built in 1928. The chancel is the area around the altar of a church for the clergy and sometimes the choir, often enclosed by a lattice or railing. There is no cemetery at the church but on the south side of the Woodbury Domain.
Timaru Herald, 22 November 1878, Page 3
OPENING OF ST. THOMAS' CHURCH WAIHI BUSH
A most enjoyable day was spent on Tuesday last by the residents of the rising township of Woodbury and many of their neighbors, on the occasion of the opening of the new church. The building is of wood on concrete foundations, and is situated on a piece of land given for the purpose, by Mr Flatman. It is a very pretty structure, the internal arrangements, especially the seats, windows, and chancel, being very good. The church had been most tastefully decorated by Messrs Flatman, Hammond, Corling, Fifield and Sims, the lines of the interior being encircled with evergreens, interspersed with floral devices. In the sanctuary two beautiful floral crosses were placed on either side of the east window, whilst a central cross of roses stood over the altar, flanked on either side by vases of choice flowers. The Morning Service at 11.30, was conducted by the Rev. J. Preston, in whose district the church stands, and the Ven Archdeacon Harper. The church was nearly full. There was an excellent choir, Mr S. Tancred presiding at the harmonium. The musical portion of the service and the hymns for the dedication of a church, were most heartily rendered, the church being dedicated to the apostle St. Thomas. There was no sermon, but a celebration of the Holy Communion, with 25 communicants. After service, the company adjourned to a nicely fitted marquee, erected in a paddock lent by Mr Hammond, where an excellent cold collation had been provided by an energetic committee of ladies, viz Mesdames Tripp, Flatman, Fifield, Pearce, Heatley, Harris, Dean, and Lady Tancred. The interior of the tent was elegantly decorated. Grace was said by Mr Preston, and after full justice had been done to the good things by the numerous assembly, Mr S. Tancred proposed the health of the Archdeacon, who, in replying, spoke in high terms of those who had, by their labor, contributed so much to the success of the day, coupling his remarks especially with the names of Mr and Mrs Flatman, Mr Flatman responded, and said that the credit was not due to one or two, hut to one and all, of many who had willingly come forward. He proposed the health of Sir Thomas Tancred, who replied, expressing his regret that his connection with the district in which he had spent so many happy years would soon be severed. Mr Tripp's health was then proposed, and responded to in his usual hearty manner. He congratulated Mr Preston on the acquisition of another church in the district, and proposed his health, which was duly honored and responded to. A move was then made to the meadow outside the tent, where a gift auction was held by Mr Mundell, who kindly gave his services as auctioneer. Sixty-nine lots were offered, some of them causing much amusement, as they consisted of all kinds of merchandise, from a cow and calf down to a pair of boots. Mr Mundell's labor produced a sum of £21 16s 11d to the credit of the building fund. Tea then followed, and after a pleasant afternoon the evening service was held at 6 p.m., then the church was completely filled. The Rev J. Preston conducted service, a most appropriate sermon being preached by the Archdeacon. There were many present of all denominations. The offertory collected during the day amounted to £9 19s 3d. It is hoped that by the time the Bishop returns to the diocese, and is able to be present for the consecration of the church, that it will be entirely free from debt. After service the people dispersed, having thoroughly enjoyed one of the happiest days experienced in the Township of Woodbury.
Timaru Herald, 15 May 1895, Page 2
The annual meeting of members of St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury, was held on the 11th inst., the Rev. J. Preston, vicar, presiding. The chairman opened the meeting with prayer, and after a few introductory remarks with reference to the great service rendered by the lay readers, Sunday school teachers, and other workers, to whom he wished to convey his grateful appreciation of their efforts, he called upon the treasurer to lay before the meeting a statement of the financial position of the church. On the motion of Mr Donkin the balance sheet was adopted. The meeting then elected officers for the current year Mr J. M. Barker, clergyman's churchwarden Mr Geo. Hammond, parishioners' warden vestrymen, Messrs Donkin, Tripp, Turton, Thatcher, Fifield, Harris, Greaves, Weavers, J. Brown, and H. F. Brown. Votes of thanks were passed to the lay readers, to Mrs Turton as organist, Sunday school teachers, and to the stipend collectors, Mrs J. M. Barker, Messrs Thatcher and Brown.
At St Thomas's Church, there are only two memorial stones. One is under a tree and is inscribed--
The second was out in the open and is inscribed--
There is no other text on either of these stones.
1. The Good Shepherd. North sanctuary, c. 1926, Smith & Smith Ltd, Christchurch. Frederick Marsh in commemoration of George F. Brown (1855-1894) donated by his sister M. Brown.
2. An Angel with the Crown of Life. North sanctuary, c. 1927, Veronica Whall commemorating William Parsons Turton d. Dec. 1926 donated by his wife, Marion A. Turton.
3. St Thomas the Apostle. North sanctuary, c.1927, Joseph Nuttgens. Commemorates Frederick R. Flatman 1843-1911. Mayor of Geraldine and MP for Pareora. Donor his son, Frederick R. Flatman, Jr. who died in 1945. [to the left]
4. The Adoration of the Christ-child by Shepherds c. 1928, in commemoration of Ellen Tripp. A Heaton Butler & Bayne, London. North chancel.
5. Christ as the Supreme Angel with St. Wendelin and St. Elizabeth of Hungry, c. 1927, Veronica Whall. This east window is dedicated to Cotsford Matthews Burdon, whose grave is at St Anne's. Donor his wife, Mildred. The alter window.
6. The Parable of the Good Samaritan. South nave. In commemoration of Charles G. Tripp, died 6 July 1897. Donors: Old friends and the men of Orari Gorge Station, dedicated 6 July 1899 by the Archdeacon Henry Harper, brother in law. Tripp's coats of arms is shown in the base.
The tower is erected to the glory of God and in loving remembrance of Charles George and Ellen Shephard Tripp.
A thank offering from their children A.D. 1926
January 2012, note bell tower bell.
To the Glory of God in memory of
Leonard Owen Howard Tripp 1862 - 1957
and his wife Geraldine 1874 -1945
By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life. Proverbs 22:4
Woodbury is 29 miles north-west of Timaru. Drive north five miles from Geraldine and take the first turn left on to the Woodbury Road you will find Woodbury (formerly known as Waihi Bush), a small country village, named after a town in Devonshire, England, surrounded by sheep and mixed farms, good tar-sealed roads, and a fertile farming valley which extends from Geraldine back to the foothills, a distance of about ten miles. The pretty little village of Woodbury did have a store for many years, but that was closed in the late 1980s or thereabouts. There is a good Primary School, the St Thomas's Church, the Domain with a very good Hall. Also the WOODBURY CEMETERY-- this in 2005 is also getting a tidy up with new boulder fence and gates at the old entrance facing the domain. The Woodbury Cemetery is not attached to any church. The main street, 'Woodbury Road' has just recently had a sealed footpath added. In 2002, 59 students were enrolled at Woodbury School, Woodbury Road, R D 21, Geraldine, 8751 and in 2003, 67 students were enrolled. Map
The Woodbury Road, looking toward Four Peaks, with the Woodbury Cemetery in the trees on the right hand side of the road.
Photo taken by Garry in early April 2005, after a dry summer.
Marriages from the various newspapers
10th August, 1882 TH
HOPE - TRIPP. On the 25th July, at St. Thomas' Church, Woodbury, by the Most Rev. the Primate (grandfather of the bride), assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon Harper and the Rev. Walter Harper (uncles of the bride), and the Rev. James Preston, Arthur, third son of T. A. Hope, Esq., of Stanton Bebington, Cheshire, to Frances Emily, eldest daughter of C.G. Tripp, Esq., of Orari Gorge, Canterbury, N.Z.. Barrister-at-Law.
June, 1893 TH
PINCKNEY - TRIPP. On June 8th at St Thomas's Church, Woodbury, by the Right Rev. Bishop Harper, grandfather of the bride, assisted by the Rev. James Preston, Incumbent of Geraldine, Edith Howard Tripp, youngest daughter of C.G. Tripp, of Orari, to George Pinckney, of Geraldine, eldest son of William Pinckney of Milford Hill, Salisbury, England, banker.
Timaru Herald, 19 June 1897, Page 2
WHITE - ORTON. On June 9th, 1897, at St. Thomas' Church, Woodbury, by the Rev. James Preston, William Henry White, second son of Alfred White, Geraldine, to Bessie Annie Orton, third daughter of Reginald Orton, Pleasant Point. The bridesmaids were Miss McBeth and Miss Linda Orton. The bride was given away by her brother, Mr R. Orton, and Mr J. McIlroy acted as "best man." [See report published 19/06/1897 for more details.]
June 1897 TH
FIFIELD - HAMMOND. Mr. John Fifield married Miss Bertha Hammond at St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury. Bridesmaid, Miss Louisa Heatley. Best man, Mr. Arthur Fifield. [See report published 28/06/1897, page 2.]
Elizabeth Cormack was appointed by the
South Canterbury Education Board as teacher at the Orari Gorge school
1st Dec. 1897. She in resigned in Sept. 1904 and married James Simon Jessep
the same year. They had a baby on 25th Oct. 1905 at Aln St., Oamaru. Had a sheep
farm outside Ashburton in 1912. In September 1912 G. and T.H. Scott transferred
to James Simon Jessep, run, 33,700 acres; 6602, part of railway reserve,
Hakataramea. Elizabeth died in 1956 aged 79. James died in 1951 aged 72
1905 Jessep May Eileen Athy
1908 Jessep Alexander Cormack born 21 Feb. 1908. Died in 1974.
1913 Jessep John Cecil born 29 January 1913 died in 1978.
1916 Jessep Paul Athy died in 1960 aged 44.
Otago Witness 28 December 1904 Page 47
JESSEP — CORMACK.— On the 14th December, 1904 at the Presbyterian Church, Woodbury, James S., second son of Charles Jessep, "Renville," Geraldine, to Bessie, elder daughter of the late Alexander Cormack, of Woodbury, South Canterbury, New Zealand. Australian papers please copy.
Ashburton Guardian, 26 September 1911,
Three accidents occurred on Sunday at Woodbury. By the backing of a vehicle in a funeral procession, the horse driven by Mr Tetheridge was forced under his trap, and one of the occupants was thrown out and the others jumped. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt, and the damage was confined to a broken shaft. In front of the Woodbury Church, a more serious accident occurred. Mr Poddrell, sen,, stood up in his wagonette preparatory to alighting, when the horse moved on and he was thrown to the road, falling on his head. His chest was crushed and some ribs were broken. [Probably the funeral of Mr Flatman]. Yesterday he was progressing favourably. A third accident occurred to Mr E. Smith when crossing the Waihi River. The traces broke and his horse got away. Mr Smith was thrown from his gig and fell into shallow water, but was unhurt.
Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser,
20 April 1915, Page 3
On Thursday last a pretty wedding in which Peninsula residents will be interested took place in the Church of St. Thomas at Woodbury, Canon Hamilton officiating. The bride was Miss Evelyn Finch, and the bridegroom Mr T. Maskew, of Pigeon Bay. The bride, who was given away by her brother, wore a dress of white satin with long brocade train lined with pale pink ruched chiffon, and the usual veil and orange blossom, and she carried a shower bouquet The bridesmaids were Miss Lavie, who wore a gown of hydrangea blue satin with overdress of ninon, and the Misses Menzies, who wore pink Empire frocks trimmed with black velvet ribbon, and pink mob caps Each of the bridesmaids carried a bouquet of violets and wore a gold bangle, the gift of the bridegroom. Mr F, Sercombe acted as best man A reception was held after the ceremony in "Orokonui," the residence of Mr and Mrs Sercombe. Among the guests were: Mrs A. Temple (sister of the bride), Mrs Maskew, Christchurch (aunt of the bridegroom), Mrs Hamilton, Mrs A. B. Temple, Mrs Nanson, Mrs Paterson, Mrs Crowe, Mrs G Parker, Mrs Turton, Mrs D. Sharpe, Mrs Orbell, Mrs Blakiston, Miss Tripp, Miss Barklie, Miss Temple, Miss Templer, Miss Lyon, and Miss D Barker, Canon Hamilton, Rev. G. B. Nanson. Mr L Orbell, Dr Paterson, Mr Blakiston, Mr Barklie, Mr Crowe, Mr Menzies, Mr Temple, Mr Burns, and Mr Maskew. The presents were numerous and valuable.
Evening Post, 2 November 1928, Page 13
A southern wedding which was of much general interest, was solemnised at St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury, when the grandchildren of two of the pioneer settlers, Mr. and Mrs. C. Tripp, were married, the bride being Miss Myra Pinckney, fifth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Pinckney ("Glenaray," Waikaia), and the bridegroom, Mr. Charles Tripp, only son of Mr. and. Mrs. Howard Tripp (Timaru). The ceremony was performed by Archdeacon. Purchas, assisted by the Rev. T. Blakiston. Arum lilies adorned the chancel, and golden coloured flowers were used effectively in the rest of the church. The bride was in a simple, gown of white georgette, the plain bodice being relieved with a collarette of old lace, the. long tight sleeves coming to a point over the hands. The skirt, was full, and bordered with ring velvet. The beautiful old lace veil worn was over one hundred years old (lent by Mrs. Hugh Acland), and-was fastened with orange blossom, the wedding bouquet being of lilies of the valley. The bridesmaids were Misses Nona and Cara Pinckney, Rosa Tripp, and June Batchelor, their, charming frocks being of primrose, georgette, the flared skirls forming peaks at the sides, and the necks cut in the now crooked square. The hats were of lettuce green straw, the bouquets were of yellow azaleas, and each wore pearl ear-rings, the gift of the bridegroom. Two little. flower girls, Jacqueline Huyshe-Elliot and Patricia Deans, were in dainty frocks of cream net over satin, trimmed with the smallest rosebuds, the little net caps being to match. Mr. Colin Acland was best man, and Messrs. Bernard Thomas and John Hodgkins were groomsmen, the ushers at the church being Messrs. Tom Hope, John Tripp, Pat Grosson, and Denis Ormsby. After the ceremony a large reception was hold at the homestead, Orari Gorge, the house being decorated with banksia roses and clematis, and a huge marquee was a mass of flowers. Mrs. Pinckney, was in navy georgette with insertions of beige lace, and a navy hat with, beige feather mount. Miss Ella Tripp was in black and royal blue, and a black hat; Mrs. Howard Tripp, navy and white spotted crepe de chine; a navy hat, and bouquet of crimson roses; Mrs. P. Stopford (Napier), black and white crepe de chine; Mrs. J. Mowbray Tripp, grey lace; Mrs. Leonard Tripp, beige lace and hat to match. The bride's travelling costume was of beige lace, and a crepe de chine coat with fur collar and muff sleeves, her Bankok hut being of the same shade.
Timaru Herald Wednesday 11 August 1875 pg 3
Entertainment at Waihi Bush - An entertainment in aid of the Church harmonium fund at Waihi Bush, will be given in the schoolroom there on Friday evening next. The programme comprises the well-known and amusing farce "Bombastes Furioso," and a selection of 11 christy minstrel songs.
Auld Bob Ridley Annie of the vale Hazel Dell Happy we are Ring the Bell, Watchman Tapicoa
Timaru Herald 7th January 1879
Waihi Bush, a beloved word to many of its residents, is gradually, but surely, succumbing to modernized Woodbury.
Mr Robert John Taylor was born in December 1837 in Westminster, London. He died in Geraldine on 5th October 1925 aged 88 years. He arrived at Lyttelton on “Zealandia” on November 12th, 1859. He married Susan Harriet Barwell in Christchurch on 18th February 1861. Mr Taylor settled in Geraldine shortly after his marriage and built its first hotel. He established successful sawmilling and storekeeping businesses at Woodbury and Peel Forest. He acquired property after the Waihi Bush was cut out and farmed on the NW slope of the Geraldine Downs. He lived in retirement at Raukapuka.
This window in the south nave was ordered by Tripp's brother-in-law, Archbishop Harper from James Powell & Sons, London [unsigned] for £30 and dedicated by him 6 July 1899. Tripp's coat of arms is shown on the base. Designed by George Powell.
To the Glory of God and in memory of Charles George Tripp of Orari Gorge.
Born at Kentisbeard, Devon 1st July 1826. died 6th July 1897. Much loves & respected.
This window is erected by old friends and the men of Orari Gorge Station.
A barrister, came out with J. B. A. ACLAND on the Royal Stuart in 1855. Both worked on runs to gain experience and applied for 114,000 acres of land west of the Rangitata River. This partnership ended in 1862, with Acland retaining Mt Peel and Tripp taking Orari Gorge Station. Tripp leased the Orari Gorge run to Robert Smith and went to England. In 1863 Tripp sold the property to a cousin but brought the property back in 1865 and returned to it in 1866. The Tripp family still occupy the property today. C.G.Tripp married Ellen Shepherd Harper, daughter of Bishop Harper and sister of Emily d. 1905. Charles Howard Tripp was born at Mount Peel in 1859. Emily Weddell Harper, eldest daughter of Bishop Harper, married J B A Acland 17 Jan 1860 and they had 10 children. The Harper family had arrived at Lyttelton in Dec.1856 on the "Egmont." Ellen and Charles Tripp returned to the Old Country for a visit and returned to NZ on the Ivanhoe. There is a column in the Christchurch Cathedral that was the gift of Mr J.B.A. Acland. Mr Acland, J.P. was responsible for the erection of churches at Mt Peel, Peel Forest and Fendalton. He owned 14 acres in Fendalton. From 1864 to 1899 he represented South Canterbury in the Legislative Council. In 1864 he was elected to the Geraldine Roads Board and was Chairman of the Mount Peel Roads Board from 1875 to 1900.
Star 10 July 1899, Page 3
A special service was held at St Thomas's Church, Woodbury on Thursday afternoon, when the handsome stained-glass window placed in the church by the employees on the Orari Gorge Station in memory of the late Mr C. G. Tripp, was unveiled. There was a crowded congregation.
Press, 8 July 1899, Page 4 MEMORIAL SERVICE.
St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury, was crowded to the doors on Thursday afternoon, when a service was held in memory of the late Mr Charles G. Tripp, of Orari Gorge, who died two years ago. The servile was conducted by the Revs Staples Hamilton, vicar of the parish, and J. Knox The Ven. Archdeacon Harper, at the invitation of the vicar, unveiled a memorial window, and briefly addressed the congregation, drawing attention to the exemplary character of the deceased gentleman, who was one of the oldest pioneers of the district. He dwelt especially upon the good work done by the early pioneers and the noble lives they led in trying to make a smiling garden in a wilderness. Such men had well earned the esteem of their fellow-men, and were deserving of a memorial such as the one he had just unveiled. The memorial window is a beautiful piece of work in stained glass, by Mr James Powell, of Whitefriars, London, and the Yen. Archdeacon Harper helped greatly in the designing and' superintending of the work. The window represents two scenes from the story of the Samaritan, most artistically coloured, while at the foot of the window is a square devoted to the coat of arms of the deceased. The surrounding embellishments are also very handsome, and the window was the, admiration of all who saw it. A brass plate on the wall near the window bears the following inscription :—•. "To the glory of God, and in memory of Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge, born at Kentisbeare, Devon, 1st July, 1826 ; died 6th July, 1897 ; much loved and respected. This window is erected by old friends, and the men of Orari Gorge Station."
L.D.G. Acland (1876-1948) s/o Thomas Dyke Acland. Thomas was the s/o Peter Leopold Dyke Acland. Peter was a brother to J. B.A. Acland. Leo m. Emily Harper.
Ellen Tripp window
A blaze of stained glass
Three glass lancet windows contemporary stained were installed in St Thomas in early 2007 on the west wall, designed and executed by Stephen and Denise Belanger-Taylor's Studio up the Te Moana Rd, Geraldine. The windows were commissioned by Phillip Burdon, a former member of Parliament, to commemorate his parents, Cotsford and Ruth Burdon, once faithful parishioners and respected local identities. Gifted by Phillip and Rosalind Burdon. The unified design has a strong, assured structure, the image centered on a T-cross from which rise flames signifying the Holy Spirit and Resurrection with symbolic references to the nor-west arch, the mountains, rivers and land forms of the district, wrote John Coley in The Press pre March 2007. Stephen's (June 27 1940 -July 19 2009) funeral was at St. Thomas. Some of his most notable works can be seen in Toronto at Church of the Holy Trinity (4 south windows), Church of the Messiah (East window), St. Luke’s Thornhill (South altar window), St. Michael’s All Angels (Etobicoke), and Picton Town Hall.
The windows have brightened the back of the church and let the light in.
“I prefer to design a window that has some magic and mystery to it.” Stephen said.
The late afternoon sun and sunsets illuminate the windows to colourful splendour, wrote Coley.
Alter window - Veronica Whall designer and extorant- a jewel in the crown of Canterbury's collection.
To the Glory of God and in remembrance of Cotsford Matthews Burdon (d. 3 Jan. 1920) who served in this church as lay reader for seventeen years.
Donated by his wife Mildred Burdon in 1927. (She died 26 Aug. 1938).
Randal Mathews Burdon was born at North Ambersham, near Haslemere, Sussex, England, on 4 August 1896, the son of Mildred Yatman and her husband, Cotsford Mathews Burdon, b. 27 March 1869, described as being of independent means. Had a B.A. in modern history. In 1902 the Burdons emigrated to New Zealand, establishing a sheep farm at Woodbury, Geraldine. Randal attended Waihi School in Winchester and Christ's College, Christchurch. He left for England in 1914 hoping to study law.
The central light is symbolic of Christ- The Supreme Angle -
The bearer of His own message (He is represented thus in Greek Art). He holds in
his hands the Seven Stars of the Revelation. The cruciform nimbus and the vine
pattern on the dress are also symbols of Christians, on the under dress, the
orphrey of thorns and the rising sun.
On the left is St. Wendelin- the Patron Saint of Shepherds - in the background is a distant hillside with a flock of sheep grazing -he bears in his arms the offering of a young lamb - over his shoulder he wears a wolf skin as a symbol of his protection of the fold.
On the right is St. Elizabeth of Hungary bearing in her apron the loaves turned to roses. In the background is a field of ripe wheat as an emblem of the directness of her charity when she administered the necessities of life to the poor and sick.
Behind both Saints is a hedge of olive symbolising Peace and an espalier of young oak trees, steadfastness in Faith.
George Faber Brown
The Good Shepherd.
North sanctuary, c. 1926, in commemoration of George F. Brown (1855-1894)
donated by his sister Miss M. BROWN. Paid for by his sister Marion as by
that time Margaret was living in Scotland.
This Smith & Smith Ltd, Christchurch window was designed by Marsh. Frederick S. Marsh (1867 - 1955) was born in London where he obtained a diploma in art and worked for a well known firm and from 1912 to 1947 he worked for Smith & Smith in Christchurch. Marion died in 1929 and she is buried at Halswell.
Press, 20 August 1894, Page 1 Death
Brown — On August 13th, 1894, at Halswell, George Faber Brown, of Heiriggs, Woodbury, third son of Rev. Laurence Lawson Brown, M.A., aged thirty-nine.
[Family history says George drowned in the Rangitata. Cannot find anything in the newspapers on his death. He is buried at St. Anne's]
Electoral Roll - 1893 Pareora 392 - BROWN, George Faber, labourer, freehold, Fairlie.
Electoral Roll - 1893 Rangitata 395 - BROWN, George Fabor, Woodbury, carter, freehold, rural sec 198889 near Woodbury.
Raukapuka Station was sold to Sir Thomas Tancred in 1870. In 1878 William Turton purchased Waihi Bush from Sir Thomas Tancred and in 1881 the village was officially named Woodbury. William Parson Turton was b. 28 Oct. 1842 and lived at Waihi Bush, Woodbury. He died 20 Jan. 1946 at 84yrs.
Marion Alice Turton born 26 March 1855 and died 20 Jan. 1946, aged 89. They are both buried in the Woodbury Cemetery.
This a a beautiful Veronica Whall window was executed in 1928. The windows are now protected with Perspex on the outside and the light doesn't get in so that takes away from the vivid colouring.
To the Glory of God
and in memory of
Born October 1842 : Died December 1926.
This Window was Erected by his Wife
A couple of small cottages still standing today, October 2008, at 147 and 149 Milton St., in The Wood in Nelson were commissioned to be built for William Collins in 1866. He actually had five cottages built and a church built on his town acre section. William Wrangham Collins was born in India in 1779 and arrived in Nelson on the "Pekin" from London on the 15 January 1850 with his wife Henrietta nee Shuckburg and a 17 year old son, Arthur Shuckburgh Collins (1832 - 1911), their only child. At least three sketches and paintings of Henrietta survive - see Christies and the UK National Portrait Galley. William died 31 January, 1880 and Henrietta in 1861 and both are buried at the old Fairfield Park Cemetery, Trafalgar St. Nelson. Arthur Shuckburgh Collyns is also on the cemetery database - died aged 78 years on 26 September 1911 and buried at Wakapuaka Cemetery block 21 plot #1 014. Arthur married a couple of times and produced at least a dozen kids. Grace Emily Collins, a daughter of Arthur, married Charles James Drummond Sharpe in 1896. They had two sons and one daughter: Phyllis Drummond Sharpe Bethune (1898-1983), the artist, from Woodbury, Geraldine. Rupert Drummond Sharpe and Archibald Drummond Sharpe. Rupert started at Woodbury school in 1915 and his brother Archibald in 1916. Rupert James Drummond Sharpe, a journalist, was a keen fisherman, and good tennis player and was buried at Woodbury in 1963. Archibald, a clerk, was cremated and his ashes are in the Nelson Cemetery. Charles, Grace, Rupert and Archibald (1971) all have wills at Archives.
(Grace Emily Collins married Charles Drummond Sharpe in 1896).
(Emily Collins married Arthur Harris Wilson Smith in 1891). Emily is a sister of Grace Collins.
The Geraldine Library has:
Country occasions : episodes and activities in New Zealand farm life / by R.D. Sharpe.
Wellington : Reed, 1962. Subject: Sheep and country life in New Zealand. Illustrated by Jack Morgan.
Fiordland Muster by Sharpe, Rupert
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton, London Date Published: 1966 128) pages., hardcover, illustrated. "It was in the valleys of Fiordland that David Gunn, a legend in his own time, ran his herds of Hereford cattle... " Frontier and pioneer life - New Zealand - Fiordland. | Cattle trade - Fiordland, N.Z.
In the right hand corner there is a Vicars kneeler with a small plaque attached.
In loving memory of Grace Drummond Sharpe 1874 - 1948. A devoted helper for this church.
In affectionate remembrance of Charles Howard Tripp.
In memory of Rosa Boyle. The oak font cover with its angel standing on a bed of roses, gently puns on the deceased young woman it commemorates was carved by Frederick G. Gurnsey in 1934 'heaven is a rose'. Gurnsey also worked in Oamaru stone. Rosa Howard Boyle died in 1933 age 26 years and is buried at Woodbury Cemetery. In 1932 Rosa Howard Tripp had married Alister Patrick Boyle. He remarries in 1936.
Evening Post, 27
November 1933, Page 8 WOMAN DISAPPEARS A DANGEROUS SPOT
Christchurch, November 26. Anxiety is felt for the safety of Mrs. Rosa Boyle, who is thought to have been drowned in the Waiau River. She is the wife of Mr. Alister Patrick Boyle, Pleasant Point, South Canterbury. She is 26 years old and a daughter of Mr. Howard Tripp," Timaru. Mr. and Mrs. Boyle were motoring from Hanmer. They stopped on the bank of the Waiau River, ate lunch, and bathed at a spot that is a well known resort for picnickers and bathers. They lay. in the sun for a time. Mrs. Boyle left her husband and walked round a point out of his sight. As she did not return he went to look for her and saw no trace. At the spot where presumably Mrs. Boyle was drowned the river flows so swiftly that only the strongest swimmer could survive, and a little distance away it enters a gorge where it is very dangerous. A search has been made, and it will be resumed tomorrow. There is now little doubt that Mrs. Boyle was swept away by the current and drowned.
Auckland Star, 30 November 1933, Page 18
Wednesday. The body of Mrs. Rosa Boyle, wife of Mr. A. P. Boyle, who had been missing since Friday, when she disappeared after bathing in the Waiau River, was found to-day about 15 miles downstream from the place where she is believed to have been drowned. An inquest was opened and adjourned to Christchurch.
Nov. 2009 photo taken be me.
Emily Collins was a sister to Grace.
Timaru Herald Wednesday 7 January 1891 Marriage
WILSON-SMITH - COLLINS - On January 1st, at St. James' Kowhai, Kaikoura, by the Rev. H. Ensor, Arthur Harris, son of J. Wilson-Smith, of Geraldine, to Emily daughter of Arthur Shuckburgh Collins, of Mount Fyffe, Kaikoura
These gates were the gift of Catherine Stopford in memory of her husband Francis J. Stopford. Catherine Mary Howard Tripp of Orari Gorge Station was buried at Woodbury b. 1864, died 10 June 1944 at age 79, was the second daughter of C.G. Tripp.
Timaru Herald June 1894
STOPFORD - TRIPP. On the 6th June, 1894, at the Cathedral, Napier, by the Rev. Dean of Waiapu, Francis James Stopford, sixth son of the late Admiral R.F. Stopford, to Catherine Mary Howard, second daughter of C.C. Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Geraldine.
Woodbury photos and history 2007
Bay Of Plenty Times, 18 March 1896, Page 2
The South Canterbury Charitable Aid Board have essayed to deal with the old/age pension question. They agreed to grant a pension to an old couple at Woodbury, and it will begin at 77. The aged couple are to draw the magnificent sum of threepence three farthings a day each.
Woodbury is 8.5 km north west of Geraldine on the way to the Waihi Gorge, a public reserve, beside Waihi River, Waihi Gorge Rd, 14km NW of Geraldine, 5km W. Woodbury, which is an additional 5.5 km on a gravel road, a spot where many Sunday School picnics have been held over the last century.