The Star Wednesday September 29 1886 page 3
The death of Mr Michael Studholme, at the comparatively early age of fifty-three, which took place yesterday, has deprived New Zealand of another of those early pioneers who did so much to establish the reputation of the Colony as a home for the enterprising settler. Though not among the "Pilgrims," the Messrs Studholme - John, Michael and Paul - the sons of a gentleman farmer in Cumberland, came out to New Zealand some thirty-eight years ago, and soon took up a run at the Rakaia. Successful there they went further south, to Waimate, where John and Michael took up the station, the freehold of which they have since acquired - an estate which Lincoln delegates, after having visited and inspected the land throughout the Colonies, pronounced to be the very finest in New Zealand, if not in the Southern Hemisphere. So rich is a large portion of the land that it is said to be able to carry a bullock to the acre.
We have said that the brothers "soon took up a run." The phase hardly does justice to the work done by such pioneers as the Messrs Studholmes. When they undertook to look for country there was literally nothing for them to depend upon. The land before them was a perfect wildness of plain, swamp and mountain. Under and beyond the haze that met their eyes, as they took their first survey from the summit of the Port Hills, lay great stretches of unknown waste; treacherous, swift deep rivers of ice-cold water, the number of which no man could tell, barred the way; fuel was scarce, and the certainties of hardships and privations were many. In these comfortable days men travel smoothly along in express train, admiring the landscape, envying, as their eyes fall on fine houses among great trees, the pleasant lot of those who were so fortunate as to secure early a share of the unclaimed good things of the earth. Those who know the early struggles of the pioneer life, know that the proportion of the army of pioneers who settled down and endured to competence was exceedingly small. For them there was no comfortable inns, no pleasant carriages, no rails, no roads; swimming was their only bridge; sign of human life was none to cheers them on their lonely way. Their gifts were exceptional courage, exceptional strength, exceptional power of endurance. And when these were present they were useless without clear judgement, cautious prudence, great perseverance. Thus equipped, the brothers Studholme set forth into the wildness to find their run. Their first lodgement was at the Rakaia, but soon they went further south, eventually bringing up at Waimate. Between the two periods they travelled over the greater portion of the Middle Island, doing most of the distance on foot, observing with practised eye and surveying with car. The excellence of their judgement is attested by their final selection of the best stretch of country in the whole island. Their success came fast, and faster as the Colony grew, and in that they reaped the legitimate reward of their hardy enterprise, and long-headed belief in the future of the wilderness they so they so pluckily set out to conquer. A characteristic trait of the men is the care they always took of the old hut which they had put up for themselves on the first settling at the Waimate. In due course of time and prosperity a fine house was built, but the old hut was never demolished. It was, on the contrary, preserved and propped up in memory of the old times. In the later years, when the brothers divided the property, the Waimate fell to the share of the subject of this memoir, Michael, who had often been heard alluding to the old hut in terms of affectionate memory. "If the old whare could only speak," he used often to say, "she could tell many a good story, and give the details of many a deal."
In 1852 Michael found himself on the Ballarat goldfields in company with the late Mr Sefton Moorhouse, we believe. But with that exception (he returned in '53), all his Colonial life was spent at Waimate. Though not a prominent figure among the public men of the Colony, Mr Studholme took a keen interest in the public affairs of his own locality. As member and Chairman of the Road Board and County Council, he rendered services of no small moment to the Waimate district, for his mind was of that solid, practical turn which is peculiarly adapted to the task of a pioneer settlement. He was one of the oldest Justices of the Peace in the Canterbury district, and in his attention to the duties of that position was most assiduous.
It is, perhaps, as a successful breeder of stock, and a great lover of sport, that Mr Studholme will be best remembered. The breeding of prize stock was his hobby, and the animals from the Waimate Estate have figured largely in the prize lists of the Agricultural Shows of Canterbury. To him, it may fairly be claimed, is due much of the success which New Zealand wool has achieved in the Home markets, where the Waimate bell brand was well known and highly appreciated.
In the early days of the province Mr Studholme took a prominent part in sporting matters. He imported several thoroughbred horses, notably Sledmere and Caledon, the sires of many distinguished winners. His chief success on the turf were obtained through the agency Knottingley, whose brilliant performances fifteen or sixteen years ago will be remembered by many of our sporting readers. Of late years he confined his racing operations almost entirely to meetings in his own locality, and may be regarded as the father of the Waimate Steeplechases and the Hunt Club Meetings. The former has, from the first, been held on his estate, and the second arose out of the gatherings at Waimate. Throughout his life he was an ardent supporter of the turf, and held more than one official position in connection with the Canterbury Jockey Club, and for many years occupied the judge's box at Riccarton.
Blunt in manner, he was a generous and warm-hearted friend. Mr Studholme was severely injured many years ago by a fall from his horse, the animal rolling over him, and has never been quite the same man since. For the last few years he has been failing health, but until Monday last no serious danger was feared. On that day his illness took a sudden change for the worse, and yesterday morning he peacefully breathed his last. He leaves a widow and a family of ten, six sons and four daughters, to mourn his loss. The news of his death has saddened a large circle of friends.
Otago Witness, 8 October 1886, Page 9
The largest funeral that ever occurred in Waimate took place on Thursday, when the mortal remains of Mr Studholme were consigned to their last resting place � the Waimate Cemetery. The whole of the places of business were closed, including the hotels, and during the melancholy proceedings the bell of the St. Augustine Church was tolled. The procession included 24 carriages, 30 horsemen, and the foot followers could not have numbered less than 600, being representative of many of the large towns of Otago and Canterbury. The coffin, of polished red pine and covered with wreaths, was | carried into the chancel of she church, where j the burial service was conducted by the Rev. C. Coates, the choir singing two appropriate hymns. The whole proceedings in the chapel were very impressive, and not a few wore the aspect of deep sympathy. About 1500 people collected in the cemetery, where the Rev. Charles Coates conducted a short service. The remains of the mourned gentleman having been consigned to the earth, the large company dispersed. It ought to be mentioned (says the Lyttelton Times) that the local volunteers (Waimate Rifles), under command of Lieutenant Capstick, in full military costume, formed part of the procession. This was out of deep respect for their captain who is a son of the late Mr Studholme.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
Burkes Colonial Gentry page 171
John Studholme, of Merevale, CHCH, and Coldstream, Ashburton Co., sat as a member of the HR for Kaiapoi from 1867 to 1874 and also for Gladstone from 1878 to 1882, b. in 1829; educated at Queen's College, Oxford. Married Lucy Ellen Stykes, d/o Wm Moorehouse, Esq., of Knottingley, W.R. co. York, Eng.. Issue:
i. John b. 1863, educated at Christ's College, CHCH, and at Christ Church, Oxford (B.A. 1887)
ii. William Paul b. 1864, educated at Christ's College, CHCH, and at Magdalen College, oxford (B.A. 1886) and was called to the Bar at the Temple, London, 1887.
iii. Joseph Francis b. 1866; educated at Christ's College, CHCH, and at Jeuses College, Cambridge.
iv. Lucy Ellen b. 1869
v. Florence May b. 1872.
Canterbury Public Library Church Register Index
Nancy Janet WELLS & Edgar Channon STUDHOLME m. 20 April 1909 at St. Mary's Merivale
Ages: 42/ 26
Occupation: farmer/ gentlewoman
Born: Waimate/ Christchurch,
Parents: Michael & Effiegenia Maria Louisa Studholme nee Channon, (farmer) Waimate
Charles Alexander & Florence nee Lane
Witness: C. Des. Teschmaker, Kauroohill, Mahino.
Star 19 September 1883, Page 4
Mr Alex. Boyle, youngest son of Vice- Admiral Boyle, was recently married to Miss Fanny Studholme, eldest daughter of Mr M. Studholme, of Waimate, Canterbury.
Press, 18 April 1895, Page 4 Funeral of Mr. M. C. Studholme.
The funeral of the late Mr Michael Cuthbert Studholme, elder son of Mr Michael Studholme, took place yesterday, when the popularity of the deceased gentleman was evinced by the large attendance. There were seventy-five carriages besides those of the chief mourners, and many mourners on foot. The pall-bearers were Messrs Douglas, Dowding, Clissold, McLean, Barker, and Bradshaw. The funeral service was conducted by the Revs. H. G. Gould and F.J. Sotham.
Timaru Herald, 18 April 1895, Page 3 THE LATE MR M. C. STUDHOLME.
The funeral of the late Mr M. C. Studholme took place yesterday, the remains being interred m the family burial ground m the Waimate Cemetery. The service was conducted by the Rev. Mr Sotham and the Rev. Mr Gould, and the pall bearers were Messrs Clissold, Barker, Bradshaw, Dowding, Douglas, and Mc- Lean. A very large number of persons attended the funeral, there being more than seventy vehicles besides a lengthy train of pedestrians. We take the following obituary- notice from the Waimate Times.
Quite a gloom was cast over the district on Sunday afternoon when it became known that Mr Michael Cuthbert Studholme had passed over to the great i majority. It had been generally known that he was ill and confined to bed, but, remembering his unusual robustness, no, one imagined for a moment that his end was so near, and the news of his early death came with great suddenness on the community. From Information
kindly supplied to us by his family, we learn that the last illness of deceased was contracted about six weeks ago, when he caught a severe chill while sleeping m a hut m the back country. Severe rheumatic pains set m afterwards, and medical aid was summoned. During the next fortnight considerable improvement took place, but owing to the slowness of Mr Studholme's recovery, Dr Barclay, with the consent of the family, called m Dr Drew, of Timaru, m consultation, who agreed with Dr Barclay that the patient was suffering from a bad attack of low fever. After a few days, symptoms resembling typhoid developed. He passed a very bad night on Saturday, and upon the arrival of the doctor on Sunday morning it was' known that severe pleurisy had complicated the illness, and that a few hours must see the end. Dr Barclay was in constant attendance during the day, but at about 4 o'clock Mr Studholme passed quietly away, having been unconscious most of the day. The late Mr Michael Cuthbert Studholme was born on August 8th, 1864, at Sutton, near Dublin, and came to New Zealand with his parents when two months old. He received his education at the Rev. C. Turrell's school at Riccarton, Christchurch After leaving school he was at Messrs Miles and Co.'s office in Timaru for about a year to pick up a knowledge of business, since which time he has always been occupied on the estate. In April, 1892, Mr Studholme took a trip to the Old Country, returning to the colony m December of the same year. The late Mr Studholme was from time to time a member of several local societies, m a number of which he was elected by his fellow-members to preside over them as chairman. The Acclimatisation Society, Racing Club, Hospital Board of Trustees, Cemetery Board, and the Agricultural and Pastoral Association were among the societies m which he took a more or less active part. The relatives of the deceased, we feel sure, have the sympathy of a veiy wide circle of friends m their bereavement.
The Scots Peerage
Edinburgh : D. Douglas, 1914, 5931 pgs.
Alexander Boyle b. in London 24 Nov. 1857, educated at Harrow, married at Waimate 5 July 1883, Fanny Studholme, eldest daughter of Michael Studholme, of Waimate and by her issued
a. Alexander David Boyle born at Langlands, Otaio, South Canterbury, Naval cadet 15 Sept, midshipman, RN, 30 Nov. 1904.
b. Alister Patrick b. Lower Riccarton, CHCH 7 Jan. 1905
Otago Witness, 18 March 1903, Page 55
A cable message has been received in Wellington notifying the death in London of Mr John Studholme, a well-known South Canterbury pioneer. Mr Studholme came to New Zealand in 1851. He and his brother Michael were the second persons to journey overland from Christchurch to Dunedin, Mr Valpy having preceded them. In 1854, in company with Dr Menzies and Captain Bellairs, he set out to explore the Southland district, which had recently been, bought from the Natives by the Government. After a week's hard walking between the Mataura and the Oreti Rivers, the others decides to go no further, and Mr Studholme walked on, by himself an far as the Waiau. The only Europeans in Southland at this time were an old sealer called Jack Tiger, who lived at the Bluff, and Captains Stevens and Howell, at Jacob's River. In 1854, the brothers took up the Waimate run, and engaged in sawmilling operations. The deceased represented Timaru in the Canterbury Provincial Council and in the House of Representatives. He twice represented Kaiapoi and twice Gladstone, and was offered a seat in the Fox Ministry. He was a director in the New Zealand Shipping Company. He was married to a daughter of the late Mr Moorhouse, one of the superintendents of Canterbury. 7th March.
Press, 6 February 1917, Page 5 Effegenia Maria Louisa CHANNON
MRS E. M. L. STUDHOLME. The death occurred- at Timaru, on Sunday, of a very old and much honoured resident of South Canterbury, in the person of Mrs K. M. L. Studholme, widow of Mr .Michael Studholme, who was the first settler to take up land at Waimate. Mrs Studholme, who was in her 79th year, died peacefully at mid-day at her home on LeCren's terrace, Timaru, after an illness which lasted for a few days. The late Mrs Studholme had a wonderful life, having seen the growth of the Canterbury settlement almost from its earliest days. Though illnesses, which she had at intervals, caused her to become more frail in decent years, she preserved until the last the most lively interest in all the events of the world, and thought it-a privilege to have lived to see such great developments and such great events as happened in her lifetime. She had a full experience of the hardships of the early pioneering days, but while her character was made more resolute it was never hardened by them. Distress of all kinds found in her a friend, and her constant benefactions assisted many who never knew their helper. Her many-sided interests were not more notable than her kindness, or the unfaltering integrity of mind which made her an example to younger people. She was a devoted member of the Church of England, and, beyond the members of her family and a score of good causes which she helped, her death will be mourned by many who found in her rare claims to admiration, reverence, and affection. Waimate in the early days was famed throughout Canterbury for its hospitality, and it was considered nothing out of the way on the arrival the coach from the South or North, to give food and shelter to 20 or 30 travellers. Many are the tales that could be told by those who participated in this open-souled welcome, but, alas, there are not many left who enjoyed those free and happy times. The late Mrs Studholme was born in London, and came out to New Zealand in 1854 with her father and two sisters. She lived in Wellington for the next five years, moving down to Christchurch on May 22nd 1859. On April 18th, 1860 she was married to Mr Michael Studholme, who, as early as 1854, had taken up land at Waimate. To Waimate, after a short honeymoon spent at Akaroa, Mrs Studholme rode on horseback with her husband, and a description of that journey, which took several days over unloaded plains and unbridged rivers, was written by her, with much felicity of description and a most pleasant humour. The Rakaia happened to be low, but the Rangitata, with its rough bed and swirling waters, was a trial to the young bride, who had to summon all her courage to cross it. A night was spent at. Mr and Mrs MacDonald's at Orari, and next day, towards dark Mr and Mrs Studholme arrived at Timaru, where they were welcomed by, the late Captain Woollcombe and his cousin, Mr Belfield. Timaru was then the most forlorn of villages, and only one house, that of Mr and Mrs George Rhodes, at the Levels, stood between it and Arowhenua. The Waimate homestead, reached after a long ride through soaking rain, was then for the most part only in building, and the site of the future Waimate town was shown by one small house and a bark hut. A brave spirit and a resourceful mind must have been required to make the Waimate wilderness endurable for many years, but gradually conditions were transformed. Mr Michael Studholme died in 1886. Mrs Studholme continued to live at Waimate till about seven years ago, when she moved to Le Cren's terrace, Timaru. Her son, Mr Carlisle Studholme, died in Melbourne a few weeks ago. The late Mrs Studholme leaves three sons and three daughters, survivors of a family of ten, to mourn their loss�Mrs A. Boyle (Christchurch), Mrs Barker (Woodbury), Mrs M. Innes- Jones (Te Kuiti), Mr E. C. Studholme (Waimate), Mr P. Studholme (Studholme Junction), and Mr H. Studholme (Birchwood, Southland). The funeral will leave the Homestead, Waimate, at 1 p.m. to-morrow for the Waimate Cemetery.
The Times, Tuesday, May 29, 1934; pg. 9
Lieut.-Colonel John Studholme Service With The Anzacs - Obituary
Born on Feb. 10, 1863, he was the eldest son of Mr John Studholme, of Merivale, Christchurch, and Coldstream, Canterbury, NZ. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at Christ College, Oxford, where he graduated, and returned to NZ and took up sheep faming. Always attracted to military life he took an active part in the NZ Volunteers and commanded the Ashburton Mounted Rifles. He served as second-in-command of the 8th South Canterbury Regiment, being promoted major in 1908. During the War he was A.A.G., NZEF, was awarded the D.S.O. in 1917 and made C.B.E. in 1919. In 1921 he went on the retired list of the NZ Force with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. In addition to business and military affairs Lieut.-Colonel Studholme devoted much attention to local government. He was a member of the Ashburton County Council and other bodies. He also travelled extensively, giving special attention to education methods in America and elsewhere... His publications included a paper on "The Work of the Church Among the White Settlers," 1908 and "Some Records of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force," 1928. He married first Alexandra, daughter of the late Archbishop Thomson, of York and by her he had three sons: and second Katherine, daughter of the late Sir Charles Bowen.
The Times, Thursday, May 31, 1934; pg. 19
His father, John Studholme, of Merevale, took a leading part in the pioneer development of NZ. He founded and endowed a school of home science in Otago and was actively interested in schools and colleges elsewhere, but it was the introduction of the Bible into the hither to wholly secular State schools of New Zealand that lay nearest his heart.
The Times, Wednesday, Dec 08, 1926; pg. 1
STUDHOLME - On Dec. 1, in Paris, Lucy Ellen Sykes Studholme, widow of John Studholme, of Merevale, Christchurch, NZ, in her 89th year.
The Times, Friday, May 17, 1946; pg. 1
Studholme - On May 14, 1946, at Middleton Grange, Christchurch, NZ, Katherine Georgina, wife of the late Col. John Studholme, of Coldstream, NZ, and second daughter of the late Sir Charles and Lady Bowen, aged 80.
The Times, Friday, May 03, 1963; pg. 17
Sir Richard Home Studholme, O.B.E., one of her Majesty's Lieutenants for the city of London, died yesterday in a London hospital at the age of 61. He became an Alderman in 1954 and was Sheriff in 1960-61. The son of Lieutenant-Colonel John Studholme, C.B.E., D.S.O., of Coldstream, and Middleton, NZ, be was born on November 7, 1901, and educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. He farmed in NZ from 1924- to 1926, and began to practise as a solicitor in 1929. During Second World War he served with the London Scottish and the Royal Artillery. He was made O.B.E. in 1945 and was knighted in the New Year Honours last year. In 1927 he married Alice Rosemary daughter of Dr. Cecil Wilson, Bishop of Melanesia. They had one son and one daughter.
The Times, Wednesday, Jul 15, 1931; pg. 17
The marriage took place at St Andrews Episcopal Church, Fife, yesterday of Mr Derek Skene Studholme, third son of Lieutenant-Colonel John Studholme, of Middleton Grange, Christchurch, NZ, and the late Mrs Studholme, and Miss Elizabeth Janet (Betty), Crawford, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs C.J. Crawford, Wayside, St. Andrews...large guest list.
Evening Post, 30 May 1925, Page 11
A wedding which will interest many New Zealand people took place at the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, Holcombe. Burnell, Devonshire, on 15th April, and caused great local interest. The bride was, Miss Eleanor Elizabeth Studholme, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Studholme, of Perridge House, Exeter (formerly of Canterbury, New Zealand) to Paymaster-Lieutenant Alan Robert Percy Brown, R.N., of H.M.S. Calliope, and eldest son of Colonel R. H. Brown, D.S.O; and Mrs. Brown, of Houndawood House, Berwickshire. The ceremony being performed by the Rev. W. Watson vicar of the church, assisted by the Rev. E. S.Best, godfather of. the bride. Lieut. P. FitzGerald was the best man, and the ushers were Sub- Lieut. John Studholme, R.N., Mr. H. Studholme, and Mr. Derek Studholme. The bridegroom wore his naval uniform, and as he and his bride left the church they passed under an arch of swords held by naval officers, while the children of the parish school scattered primroses in their path.
Parents: Mabel Gray married William Paul Studholme in 1897
1898 Studholme Paul Francis William
1899 Studholme Henry Gray
1902 Studholme Eleanor Elizabeth
1903 Studholme John Wyndham
Press, 10 December 1917, Page 8
Second-Lieutenant P. F. W. Studholme, of the Devonshire Regiment, was killed on October 4th. He was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs W. P. Studholme, of Perridge House, Exeter, and was born in New Zealand in 1898. Coming to England as a child, he was educated at Cordwalles, Eton, and Sandhurst, and was gazetted to the Devonshire Regiment last May, going to the Front two months later.
Timaru Herald 06/06/2008
Death of leading historian and South Canterbury farmer
One of the South Island's leading historians died recently. Michael David Studholme, QSM, JP, was the last surviving grandchild of Michael Studholme, the first European settler in Waimate. He was considered a great people person and one of life's gentlemen. David was born at Te Waimate, the second child of Edgar and Nancy Studholme. He often said his first impression of life was Armistice Day to mark the end of the First World War. His early schooling was at home and later at Waihi School and Christ's College. He left school in 1929 to start his farming career which started with the use of horses and lasted for the next 50 years.
David married Barbara Lawrence from Christchurch in 1944. Unable
to serve his country at war due to infantile paralysis, he farmed sheep, cattle
and stud pigs. He was also an early pioneer of border romney sheep. He grew a
wide range of produce such as wheat, barley, strawberries and vegetables. In
1968 David went into partnership to buy Braemar Station in the Mackenzie
country, which he farmed until 1975. This was a life in the mountains which he
thoroughly enjoyed. The 1930s saw David actively involved in hunting and point
to point horse events on his favourite horse Tip Toes. Born out of this passion
was a strong desire to own and race horses. He successfully achieved this goal
with a horse called Personify which went on to win the Waimate cup and Timaru
cup, as well as numerous other races in Christchurch and the wider Canterbury
district. He also served as a sergeant in the Canterbury Mounted Rifles. He was
a keen cricketer for his local Waimate club and the proud groundsman at the
pitch located on his farm at Te Waimate. This occupied much of his time. He
managed the club team called "Waimate Wallabies" who toured both the North and
South Islands. He was one of the organisers of the 100th jubilee match in 1982
when Canterbury played Otago in Waimate. He also liked game bird shooting and
became a skilled shot, especially when hunting ducks or quail.
On his retirement David became an enthusiastic and recognised expert on the restoration and construction of earth buildings, and in recognition of this was awarded a Queen's Service Medal in 1992, a Rotary foundation Paul Harris Fellow medal and NZ Historic Places Trust certificate of meritorious service in 2004. David supervised the restoration of the Cuddy, built in 1854 in the grounds of Te Waimate. This was soon followed by the restoration of other buildings including the original Molesworth Station homestead, Acheron accommodation house, Top house (Nelson), Paterson's cottage in Kurow and the Waimate museum's new earth building. He travelled extensively sharing his knowledge of restoration and in 1990 presented a paper on "earth buildings for the 90s" to the Department of Architecture at Auckland University. David was active in the local Waimate district and was founding president of the museum, patron of the cricket club, A and P Association and the NZ Earth Builder's Society. The last years of his life were spent at Bishop Park retirement village in Christchurch. However, he made numerous visits back to his birthplace to check on farming progress, visit old friends and soak up the memories that Te Waimate had generated over the years. David's farewell service was held on a warm autumn day at his birthplace in the garden he loved so much. He is survived by his children Jane, Nicola and Michael, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Evening Post, 11 April 1945, Page 8 MRS. WILLIAM BARTON
Many people, especially those of the older generation, will learn with deep regret of the death of Mrs. Lucy Ellen Barton, widow of Mr.William Barton, of Fareham, Featherston, and of White Rock Station, Wairarapa. Mrs. Barton was a daughter of the late Mr. John Studholme, one of the best known early settlers of Canterbury, who, with his two brothers, arrived in New Zealand in 1851 in the ship Labuan, and took up runs on the banks of the Rakaia and Selwyn Rivers, and later at Waimate and in the North Island. Her mother was a sister of Mr. W. Sefton Moorhouse, formerly Superintendent of Canterbury. Mr. and Mrs. John Studholme and their family lived for many years in Christchurch, at "Merivale," where their property stretched from what is now Rossall Street to Papanui Road. Here and at their station, "Coldstream," South Canterbury, they dispensed kindly hospitality to many friends and to distinguished visitors from overseas. Mrs. Barton and her sister, Miss Florence Studholme, who now lives at Hindhead, England, were educated at Fontainebleau, France. Since her marriage she lived at Featherston, but she revisited Canterbury at intervals, the last occasion being only a few months ago. Her three brothers�Mr. John Studholme, of "Coldstream" and of "Middleton Grange," Riccarton; Mr. W P- Studholme, of England; Mr. J. F. Studholme, formerly of Fendalton, predeceased her, and she is survived by five daughters�Miss M. Barton (Heretaunga), Mrs. F. B, Quinn (Fendalton, Christchurch), Mrs. Eadred Lutyens (Hertfordshire, England), Mrs. R. M. D. Johnston (Mount Torlesse, Springfield), and Miss Elspeth Barton, who returned to New Zealand last year from service in the Middle East.