Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Teachers in South Canterbury in 1878

Education - Second Annual Report of the Minister of Education, New Zealand, 1879
Pages 24, 25 & 39 list of public schools
Herbert Belfield, Esq., Chairman of the South Canterbury Education Board. His report is on page 52.
Henry H. Hammond was the Inspector of Schools in South Canterbury. His report is on page 92.

The Board was created by the "The Education Act, 1877." The first meeting of the board was on the 30th April. Up to this time the affairs of the district had been administrated by the North Canterbury Board. The following gentlemen were duly elected as the Board:
Herbert Belfield, Esq (chairman)
Rev. George Barclay
Rev. W. Gillies
Samuel W. Goldsmith, Esq.
James Granger, Esq.
William B. Howell, Esq.
Daniel L. Inwood, Esq.
William Postlewaithe, Esq.
Edward H. Tate, Esq.
 
The new school districts of Claremont, Hunter, Makikihi, Upper Otaio and Totara Valley had been proclaimed with contracts for erection of school buildings. It was decided to divided Totara Valley into two districts - Totara and Ophi. The Board has during the year proclaimed the new school districts of Waiho, Waituna Creek, Fairlie Creek, Burke's Pass, North Orari, South Orari and Wai-iti.

Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1879 Session I, H-02

Teachers Holding Certificates or licenses under "The Education Act, 1877"
* There were five classes of certificates distinguished by numbers and pay rate was based this scale.

Teachers' Names including Pupil Teachers on staff at the end of the year.

Claremont 	J Bellmin (H)

Geraldine 	Thomas Hughes (H) *D2
		F McPhee (F)
		G Barclay (M.P.)
		F Bethune 		

Kakahu		J Speight
		Mrs Speight
		D.B. Craig
		C Craig		

Milford		Craig, Dugal Bannatyne *C3
		
Pareora		J Stewart
		Mrs Stewart
		
Pleasant Point	Henry Henri *E3
		Mrs Henri
		

Pleasant Valley Walter Junius King *E3
		Mrs King
		Kate Bennett
		
Rangitata Island J Beechey
		
Scotsburn 	J Murdock
		
Temuka District School
		Alexander McIntosh *D2
		Mrs Rowe
		E Young
		H Klee
		W Rowe

Timaru [B]	James Scott, M.A. *B1
		William Cuthbert *D2
		R. Shappere
		N Muller
		F.W. Mansefield
		L Hibbard
		T Chapman
		D Ogilvie
		M Shepherd
		M Forbes
		Florence Woodhend Gillon (Miss) *D3
		M Griffin
		F Crammond
		M Craigie
		L Cameron
		E Melton
		A Pearson
		A.H. Huggins
		E Melton
		A Pearson
		A.H. Quinlan
		J Huggins
		E. Allan
		M. Fisher		
		M Mahan
		(Mahan, Frederick William)

Waihi Bush	D Murrary
		Mrs Murray		

Waitohi Flat 	Archibald Mahan
		Mrs Mahan		

Washdyke	J Kirby
		Mrs Kirby
		
Winchester	A Dunnett
		A L Cox
		A Young		

Otaio 		J Willis		

Waimate		W. Ward
		J Horgan
		Oswall Walters Exall *E3
		M A Grant
		M A Little
		A Williams
		S Bruce
		M. Rugg		
		
		Bowles, Minnie Ellen Goldsmith, Miss *E3
		Hardcastle, John Castlewood E3*

 
see Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1879 Session I, H-02 for the next page

The school opened in January 1870 as the Scotsburn school in Blair Rd, Scotsburn (Scotsburn is a sub-district of the wider Peel Forest area). It was the fifth school to open in South Canterbury. There were 17 pupils but as a result of erratic attendances the school closed in 1872 and the pupils were home schooled, or in other cases received no education. The problem was older children were often required to work on the farms during seasonal busy times. This could mean being absent for some weeks. The building became a Presbyterian church in the Orari parish until about 1917 and was demolished in the 1920s. In 1878 the school reopened in Scotsburn Rd and had as many as 41 pupils. In 1923 it was damaged by fire and closed. A new school was built near the Peel Forest village and the name changed to Peel Forest. This school operated as a primary school until 1997 when the government closed it along with many other country schools. The school was amalgamated with the Carew primary school and is now called Carew - Peel Forest. In 1999 ex pupil Tony Timpson bought the property. The school buildings are now used as a Montessori Preschool. The former school house is the Timpson Holiday house, available to families who care for people with disabilities or illnesses to enjoy a holiday. Mr Timpson was made an Officer of New Zealand Order of Merit for his services to business and community. John Acland, eldest son of Sir Jack and Kit, Lady Acland, of Mt. Peel Station, has been heavily involved in the community including being chairman of the 1970 and 1995 school reunions. He has served on national boards including being chairman of the New Zealand Meat Board In 1951 and increasing roll meant the school obtained assistant teachers. During the Ivan Mee era (1949 -1957)  when Mr Ivan Mee was the principal teacher there was Miss A Robb, Miss Elizabeth McLaren, Miss Anne Mitchell and Miss Anne Dingwall.

AtoJsOnline
Teachers in South Canterbury, NZ in 1881, 1885, 1903, 1905, 1909, 1913
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project