Teachers in South Canterbury in 1905

Report By New Zealand. Dept. of Education 1906- for the year 1905

South Canterbury 	Male 	Female
Heads of School 	26 	 1
Sole teachers 		15 	32
Assistant teachers 	10 	40
Total adult teachers 	51 	73
Pupil teachers 		 8 	15

South Canterbury
Average number of pupils to one teacher 30.6
Yearly average attendence 4,501
School Attendence Roll Numbers end of 1905 5,146
Ratio of male to female teachers in New Zealand remained the same for 1905 as for 1904 - 100 to 141.


Lyalldale School - now a community hall, Nov. 2011

Alphabetical 1906
 Teachers in South Canterbury, NZ in 1878, 1881, 1885, 1903, 1909, 1913

In 1905 pupil teachers in any education district who have satisfactorily completed their term of service and have passed the Matriculation Examination may enter at the training college most convenient to them, the course being two years. Such students receive in addition to the amount of university-college fees the sum of £30 a year each if the recipient lives at home, and £60 a year of compelled to live away from home in order to attend college.



Ashburton Guardian, 19 April 1918, Page 8
SCHOOL COMMITTEE.  MONDAY'S MEETING
As far as can be ascertained no excitement is anticipated at the householders' meeting on Monday evening to elect the Borough School Committee. In order to show the extent of the ward it is interesting to note that irrespective of the schools in this district, it contains schools in the following localities:—Adair, Albury, Allandale, Belfield, Bluecliffs, Cannington, Cave, Chamberlain, Clandeboye, Claremont, Cricklewood, Douglas, Esk Valley, Fairlie, Fairview, Four Peaks, Fyvie, Gape's Valley, Geraldine, Glenavy, Gleniti, Glenroy, Gray's Corner, Hakataramea, Hannaton, Hazelburn, Hilton, Hook, Hororata, Hunter's, Ikawai, Hakahu Bush, Kapua, Kingsdown, Kisselton, Kohika, Milford, Monavale, Morven, Mt. Nessing, Opihi, Orari, Orari, Bridge, Orari Gorge, Orton, Otaio, Pareora East, Pareora West,  Pleasant Point, Pleasant Valley, Rangitata, Rockwood, Rosewill, St. Andrews, Salisbury, Scotsburn, Seadown, Selwyn, Sherwood Downs, Silverstream, Skipton, Southburn, Springbrook, Sutherlands, Tawai, Te Awa, To Moana, Temuka, Te Pirita, Te Ngawai, Timaunga, Totara Valley, Waihou Downs, Waihaorunga, -Waikahaki, Waimate, Waitohi Flat. Waitohi Upper, Waituna Creek, Washdyke, Willowbridge, Winchester, and Woodbury. It is claimed by local enthusiasts on education that such a large area as the above cannot be thoroughly represented without an additional member on the board and the Minister will be urged upon to pass the necessary legislation for the desired representation.  

Timaru Herald 27/09/2008
The Milford School Charitable Trust was formed after the sale of the Milford school and grounds.
The school was closed in 2004, following the school reviews. The trust was formed in 2007 to administer funds received from the sale of the properties. Part of the land and school house went to a farmer neighbouring the school, with the school sold and transformed into a house. The land at the Milford School site was donated by Mr John Hayhurst on March 6, 1871 so people in the district could be educated. "Therefore it is most appropriate that the interest from the sale be used to educate, train, or for personal development of the former pupils, residents or children of residents of the Milford district." The scholarship would have no age limit and it was hoped to have about $15,000 annually to give out. Applications are open and will close on November 7. The successful applicant will be announced at a pot luck tea to be held in the Milford Hall on November 28. It is planned to stage the event annually to help hold the community together.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project