Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 963-965. Published 1903
LAKE TEKAPO is in the Mackenzie county, and is one of the show places of the district. It is connected by coach with Fairlie, which is the terminus of the railway from Timaru. Fairlie is twenty-six miles from Lake Tekapo, and thirty-nine miles from Timaru. Lake Tekapo is on the way to Mount Cook, and is famed for its scenery. There are fish in the lake, and deer and native game in the district, which is taken up with sheep runs; but there is a hotel at the lake for the accommodation of tourists and travellers. One of the ridings of Mackenzie county is named Tekapo. It is the least populous in the county, and had a census of March, 1902, a population of 152 souls. photo Lake Tekapo Bridge (not the same one as above)
GLENTANNER STATION, Lake Tekapo, This estate is the property of Mr. L. G. D. Acland. It was originally taken up by Messrs Dark Brothers in 1858, and named after the ship which brought them to Lyttelton, where they landed on the 3rd of October, 1857. After passing through various hands, the property was purchased by Mr. Acland in 1897. It consists of 60,00 acres and carries a well bred flock of merino sheep. The improvements include five miles of fencing and buildings required to work the place. Mr. Acland's residence is charmingly situated; it overlooks the Tasman Valley and is sheltered by a healthy plantation of larch trees.
MR. LEOPOLD GEORGE DYKE ACLAND, the proprietor, was born in Christchurch. From the first he followed pastoral pursuits, and was a cadet on the Cracroft station. Mr. Acland went to South Africa as a member of the Canterbury troop of New Zealand Rough Riders, who left Christchurch on the 17 February, 1900, for the purpose of taking part in the was with the Transvaal and Orange Free State Republics.
TASMAN DOWNS is the property of Mr Emil Schlapfer. It was originally part of the Balmoral run and was purchased by this present proprietor in 1898. "Tasman Downs" is a freehold property of 1500 acres, and is stocked with sheep of the Cheviot strain, and good crops of turnips and, oats, and grass-seed are raised on the farm. The homestead is charmingly situated on the banks of a small lake in the center of the property, and commands a fine view of Lake Pukaki and Mount Cook.
MR EMIL SCHLAPPER was born in Switzerland, in 1870, and followed farming during his early years. In 1885 he came to New South Wales in the ship "Yarra," and crossed to New Zealand, in the "Rotomahana." He settled with his brother on the Swiss settlement in Auckland district for four years and then removed to South Canterbury. Mr Schlapfer was married, in 1893, to Miss Badham and has one daughter. Ferrier photo Mr. and Mrs. E. Schlapfer and child.
TEKAPO STATION, Lake Tekapo. This station is the property of Mr. Andrew Cowan, and was originally taken by Mr. John Hay in 1858. After being owned in turn by Messrs McPherson Brothers and Mr. Cox, it was purchased by the present proprietor in 1876. It comprises 27,000 acres and carries a good flock of Merino sheep.
Mr. ANDREW COWAN was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, where he was educated and followed a pastoral life during his early years. He came to New Zealand in 1863 by the ship "David Fleming," and settled at once in the Mackenzie Country, where he followed station life for a number of years. At that time the runs were being fenced, and a large number of men were employed by the runholders. All haulage was done by bullocks and horses, and as there were no regularly formed roads or bridges, all the material had to be carted along primitive tracks of the district. Mr. Cowan was a member of the Mount Cook Road Board, and represented the Tekapo Riding on the Mackenzie County Council for eight years. He was a prominent officer of the Caledonia Society, treasurer and collector of funds for the Presbyterian church and chairman of the local school committee. He was married, in 1871 to Miss Andrews and they have eleven children. photo of Mr. and Mrs. A. Cowan.
LAKE PUKAKI is at the foot of the Southern Alps on the way to Mount Cook. It is connected by a coach with Fairlie, fifty-six miles distant; distance firm Timaru, ninety-six miles. The scenery at and about Lake Pukaki is characterised by true grandeur. There are deer in the district and fish in the lake, where ducks also abound. Lake Pukaki has a post office, which serves the Hermitage and the neighbouring runs.
BIRCHILL STATION (J. Burnett and D. Munro, proprietors), Lake Pukaki. This station, now the property of Messrs Burnett and Munro, was originally taken up by Mr. Nicholls in 1859. It is the highest sheep station on the Tasman River, and the homestead is situated at an altitude of 2,140 feet. The improvements consist of five miles of fencing and good buildings.
Mr. JAMES BURNETT, the Senior Partner, was born in Dunedin, in 1873, and followed pastoral life during his early years. He has always taken interest in outdoor sports. photos of Mr. J. Burnett and Mr. D. Munro.
Mr. David MUNRO, the Junior Partner, was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, in 1869, and came to New Zealand in 1880 in the ship "Canterbury." He was educated at Palmerston South, and brought up to a pastoral life. Mr. Munro is a keen sportsman. He has been very successful in the show ring, and his colours have frequently been carried to the front on the racecourse.
RHOBOROUGH DOWNS STATION (John McArthur, manager). This station was originally taken up by Mr Gladstone in 1858, and after passing through the hands of various owners, became the property of Messrs McKenzie and McMillan. It comprises 65,000 acres.
Mr. John McARTHUR, the Manager, was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and brought up in the romantic valley of Glenlyon, in Perthshire, where he followed a pastoral life. He came out to New Zealand in 1873, an followed a station life for a time, but afterwards became proprietor of the Omarama Hotel. Having disposed of that business in 1879, he started butchering in Oamaru, but removed to the Mackenzie Country in 1882. He was subsequently appointed manager of "Glenmore." He and Messrs McKenzie and McMillan purchased "Rhoborough Downs" in 1894, but Mr McArthur sold his share to the present proprietors in 1895. "Rhoborough Downs is still managed by Mr. McArthur, who took up Glenlyon station in 1898. "Glenlyon" comprises 124,000 acres, and carries a well bred flock of Merino sheep. As a property it is managed in the name of McArthur and Co. photo of Mr J. McArthur