Photo taken Sunday 18th Oct. 2009. Spring time. St. Peter's Anglican Church, Temuka, off King St. at Dryson St.
The gardens in South Canterbury will be at their peak October and through November. Rhododendrons blooming from mid October and roses blooming in late November. Xmas lilies burst open in mid December with and peonies in full bloom in December. On 4 September 2010 the 7.1 Darfield earthquake caused damage to many of the gables of our Anglican churches including St. Peter's. As you can see from the photo taken in Nov. 2010 the cross is missing.
St. Peter's Anglican Church is a handsome stone building which was erected in 1899 to replace the old wooden church which had been destroyed by fire in 1897. The interior of the church is decorated with a handsome stone pulpit, a gift in the memory of the late Mrs John Hayhurst, and a stone font given by Mr and Mrs Rooke of Temuka. It has seating accommodation for 300 persons, and services are held twice every Sunday. Services in connection with the parish are also held in the church of St John the Evangelist at Winchester and at the Orton, Seadown and Waitohi Schools. There is an efficient choir. Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. 1903. The parish of Temuka was constituted in 1878 with the Rev. G. Fynes-Clinton as resident vicar. In 1870 the Rev. James Preston was appointed mission deacon of Geraldine and Temuka.
Timaru Herald, 1 July 1898, Page 2
On Tuesday evening his Lordship Bishop Julius delivered a lecture in the parish room, Temuka, on England in the Jubilee Year. The attendance was only fair. The lecture or chat, as the Bishop designated it, was most enjoyable. On Wednesday the foundation stone of the new church, which is to be dedicated to St Peter, was laid by the bishop. This ceremony was attended by a large number of people of all denominations. In addition to the vicar of the parish, the Rev. T. Farley, there were present the Rev. Messrs T. A. Hamilton (formerly vicar, now of Ashburton), Preston (Geraldine), Orbell (Timaru), Stanley Hinson (Pleasant Point), Barklie [sic: Barclay] (Geraldine), Blackburn (Tinwald), and Mackenzie Gibson (Waimate). The service held on the occasion was impressive. The new building has seen designed by Mr J A S. Turnbull of Timaru. The portion be now erected will be 63ft x 30ft. The chancel will be 30ft x 15ft. It will be of Timaru bluestone, coursed rubble walls, with Oamaru white stone dressings. The style of architecture is that known as 15th century Gothic. It will seat about 300 persons. The site is a capital section in the Main street, the gift of Mrs Hayhurst, senr. The contractor for the stone work is Mr McBride.
St Peter's, corner of King and Dyson Streets, was built of contrasting stone, the church was under construction even before its predecessor was burnt to the ground. The vicar ran into the blazing old wooden building and rescued both the lectern and the Bible now in the present church; he noted, 'but as sparks were then falling from the roof I did not venture in again'. The east window is dedicated to John Talbot (1845-1923), who settled at Woodlands in the Rangatira Valley, in 1869. All but one of his 12 sons became farmers, and his family name is woven through South Canterbury's farming and public life. Talbot was a stalwart on local bodies, aggregating 160 years of service. His lath-and-plaster homestead, enlarged and roughcast since it was built in about 1870, still stands and is still in the family (in Talbot Rd, off Waitohi Rd). The sanctuary windows are memorials to sisters, Christiana and Elizabeth, each the wife of John Talbot. The stone pulpit is in memory of the wife of John Hayhurst. There is a beautiful 1888 George Sandford pipe organ and a stone font inside the church. Looks like the pipe organ was built by Sandford in 1888 was was installed in the church when it was destroyed in the fire in 1897.
Organ at St. Peter's - 2011
Sandford & Sandford 1888, rem. from Christchurch Temple of Truth, reb. 1925 Pearce, restored 1987 by the SIOC.
St. Peter's Honour Board is inside the church.
The brass WW1 plaque is nearly impossible to photograph.
In memory of those who gave their lives in
the service of their country 1939-1945Ackroyd V.J. Bergin F.S. Donehue C.E. Hayhurst A.J. Johnson V.T. Kain B.W. Neville E.L. O'Neill A.L. Paiki J. Smith G. Solomon T.H.A. Taylor G.H.W. Waters G. Williams L.L.
Walter Cordon Harte
George Ernest Booker
Thomas Albert Sanders
John Robert Moore
William Stanley More
Basil Herbert Talbot
To the Glory of God and in memory of
the men of this parish who fought and died
the death of honour in the Great War 1914-1918
Thomas Eric Booker
William W Hoskins
Stanley Edward Davey
Walter Joseph Lloyd
Bernard Arthur Smith
Lionell Were Hill
Albert Thomas Donehue
Sidney Herbert Ashwell
John Thomas Hearn
Edward James Gould
William Denys Aspinall
Arthur Ernest Talbot
Frederick W Oldfield
Thomas Edgar Barker
Henry Christian Hullen
Timaru Herald, 27 January 1900, Page 4 ST. PETER'S CHURCH, TEMUKA.
Like almost every church in the colony, St. Peter's, Temuka, staggers under a heavy load of debt, efforts to provide for which tax all the energies of the parishioners. The vicar, officers and congregation owe grateful thanks for assistance in many directions, not the least being due to Mr H. Wells (late organist of the Cathedral, Christchurch), for his recent recital, assisted as he was by Mrs B. H. Burns and Dr Warren. Many residents have but small idea of what an organ really means, and though that at St. Peter's is only a two-manual instrument, Mr Wells' professional ability enabled those present to appreciate the capabilities of their instrument, as well as the wonderful power over the king of instruments possessed by the performer. ..The organ is not, from a professional point of view, built for recital purposes lacking as it does effective solo stops, but those present were unanimous in saying that such a musical revelation had never before been heard at Temuka of Mrs Burns singing, it is only needful to say that she was probably never in better voice. .. The instrument, however, is merely an American organ (i.e. harmonium) and the whole service gave no scope for a professional man of Mr Wells' standing, though the congregation were much pleased to have him. Today
Timaru Herald, 28 December 1900, Page 2
Notice able features at St. Peter's Church, Temuka, on Christmas Day were the new altar rails, which have just been erected. They have been a long time in making their appearance in the church, as they are the result of the labours of a number of ladies in the parish under the supervision of the late Miss Bessie Pilbrow, to whose untiring devotion in the interest of the church they stand as a lasting and fitting memorial. The standards are of brass, with oak railing, and are in accordance with the other splendid fittings. Messrs Wippel and Sons, of London, are the designers.
Evening Post, 21 August 1942, Page 3
The Rev. Walter C. Wisdom, M.A:, has accepted the cure of St. Peter's Church, Temuka. At present vicar of St. Mark's Church, Rakaia, Mr. Wisdom is a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. He was on missionary stations in China for five years before going to Rakaia.
2013. During the past decade, parish numbers in Temuka were consistent, with 270 members, although only about 40 attended services at any one time.
St. Saviour was destroyed by fire in 1897
Timaru Herald, 27 November 1897, Page 3
On Thursday night St. Saviour's Church, Temuka was totally destroyed by fire. Miss Farley, the eldest daughter of the incumbent, was the first to notice that there was a fire in the building, and of her giving the alarm the fire bell almost opposite the building was rung. This was shortly after 10 o'clock when the residents at the parsonage were just retiring to rest. The brigade were on the spot within a minute or so of the time at which the alarm was given but they could do nothing to save the building, as at the north end of the town the water supply is inadequate. In the meantime the Rev. Mr Farley, with the assistance of Mr Bremayne, a visitor, had attempted to save some of the church fittings. When they entered the building it was evident that the fire had started near the organ and had already obtained a good hold. The Bible, prayer books, cover of the communion table, and a few benches and strips of matting were all that could be saved. The organ, seating, books and records of the vestry were destroyed. The building burned very fiercely, and the sparks were carried in to a considerable distance. The building was erected in 1869, the timber having all been cut from the old Arowhenua Rush, The foundation stone was laid by Mr William Hornbrook, and the opening service was conducted early in 1870 by the Rev. W. H. Cooper. The building was insured by the Church property trustees for £300 and there was a cover of £100 on the fittings. These would include the organ, which originally cost a trifle over £60.
Timaru Herald, 11 April 1891, Page 3 Parish meeting
St. Saviour's Church, Temuka. The annual meeting of parishioners of the above church was held on Thursday evening. There was only a moderate attendance. The Rev. T. A. Hamilton presided... Regular services ha been maintained at the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Winchester, and at at Saviour's, Temuka. The average attendance at the former had been CO, and at the latter 97 m the morning and 122 at the evening services. On Easter Sunday services were held at Winchester, Temuka, and the Maori pah, the attendance being 90, 160, and 45, and communicants 33, 57, and 13 at each place respectively. Monthly services bad been held at Rangitata Island, Rangitata South, and Rangitata Station, and quarterly services at Washdyke. On two Sundays in each month three services were held by the incumbent, 32 miles having to be travelled to do so. During the year there has been 28 burials, 50 baptisms, and 6 marriages: The death roll was three times as, heavy as the, average for several years. Indebtedness was expressed to the lay readers Mr H. J. Gladstone (Winchester), and Mr Robert Pinckney (Temuka), and also to Sir William Blunden who had frequently assisted the latter. Warm thanks were tendered to the Incumbent and Mrs Hamilton, to Mrs H. E. Smith, and Messrs Hearn and for collecting, and to all helpers in pulpit, choir, and Sunday school. The annual treat had been held at Winchester where Mr DeRenzy had placed the "blum gums" at disposal. The report concluded with the usual expressions of thanks, special mention being made of Miss Wills' services as organist. Thanks were tendered to Mesdames Dunford, Davey, Austin, Misses Pilbrow, Coppin, Sweet, and Mr E.C. Dann, who had distributed the parent magazine, shortly to be issued in a new form. The Bible class at the State school was well attended, the senior class numbering 53, and the juniors, under Miss Phillips about 100. Prizes for attendance were given by Mr E.C. Dann, A.E.G Rhodes, C. J. Rayner, and R. Pinckney, and the incumbent, at the annual prize giving in connection with the State school. The reports and balance sheet were adopted on the motion of Mr Talbot. and seconded by Mr E. Pilbrow. The election of officers was then proceeded with. The incumbent nominated Mr E. C. Dann as his warden, and on the motion of Mr Langridge, seconded by Mr Nicholas, Mr Robert Pinckney was unanimously re-elected parishioners' churchwarden, many eulogistic remarks being made concerning his valuable services during five years of office. Messrs J. T. M. Hayhurst, T. Talbot, J. Langridge, A. Nicholas, E. Pilbrow, R. Comer, K. Whitehead, J. H. Walker, G. J. Mason, and E. Chapman, were elected vestrymen.
Auckland Star, 14 March 1927, Page 9
FORMER NEW ZEALANDER BEQUEST TO CHAPEL.
London, March 13. Mr. Rees Thomas, formerly of Temuka, New Zealand, who died recently, left an estate valued at £18,048. He bequeathed £100 to the Wesleyan Chapel at Temuka. Mr. Rees Thomas was born in South Wales in 1840. He arrived in Lyttelton in 1863, and taking up land at Temuka, became well known as a highly, successful farmer. He was a noted breeder of draught horses, and his oat crops occasionally averaged 70 bushels to the acre.
There is a Maori Church at Temuka which replaced the 1866-1931 building. The mission church, Holy Trinity, was consecrated by Rev. J. Stack on August 1866. The foundation stone for the later church was laid by Bishop F.A. Bennett, Bishop of Aotearoa, on November 1, 1931 and the church consecrated March 5 1932 by Archbishop West-Wastson assisted by Bishop Bennett, the Vicar (Rev. G. Nelham Watson) and other members of the clergy. This attractive Anglican church was built by Mr. H. Andrews of Temuka and contains one stained glass window "Christ and the children", a white friar window, commemorating Lesile V. Talbot, the Sunday School Superintendant 1909-1942, who died 28 March 1964. Dedication described in the Timaru Herald Oct. 10 1966 pg. 5.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church is directly across the street from Arowhenua War memorial arch. They are situated on the corner of State highway 1 and Huirapa Street at Arowhenua, between the Opihi and Temuka rivers.
Timaru Herald 16 January 2007
Preparations are well under way for the 75th anniversary of the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Arowhenua in March. Reverend Andrew Starky said the birthday celebrations would be held on March 4. A service would be held at 10am in the church, followed by lunch at the Arowhenua Marae. The church replaced an old wooden church at the Arowhenua site in 1932. In preparation for the birthday celebrations, the church's floors had been touched up and the east window had been replaced and the leadlights renovated. The exterior of the church will also be painted. "The church is a special part of Temuka's history and many recognise the building," Rev Starky said. He said the church had been a meeting place for Maori and Pakeha in the area. "Although it's an Anglican church it has always been open to other denominations," he said. The church is the only one of its kind remaining in the area. Services are held twice a month.
The Temuka Trinity Presbyterian Church, is located on a section of land donated by Mrs J.T. Hayhurst. Mr Samuel McCully contributed generously to the need for a suitable building and the parishioners erected a memorial pulpit in his honour. Records are at the South Canterbury Museum. Feb. 2002 the church celebrated 130 years since the first minister, Reverend George Barclay, began to preach in Temuka. 2 December 2011 the Trinity Presbyterian Church at Temuka is to demolished in March.
2/12/2011 Timaru Herald
The earthquake-damaged Trinity Presbyterian Church in Temuka will be demolished amid an insurance crisis facing all churches. The 120-year-old church will be bulldozed next month after it was damaged in the September 2010 earthquake. The parish has been forced into demolishing it as costs to repair it were prohibitive and insurance cover was enough to meet only demolition costs. A decision to bulldoze the church was made after a meeting between the representative council and congregation. Services have been held in the parish hall next to the church, on the corner of Hally Tce and Wilmshurst Rd, after engineers declared the church unsafe. Subsidence was noted on the north side of the building, material had fallen from the roof and cracking appeared around the ceiling. Struts have been supporting its west wall. Trinity Presbyterian Church deputy chairwoman said the decision to demolish was based on the cost to fix it. "Once you start fixing it, you have to do it to council earthquake standards, and the cost is quite prohibitive. With the images of Christchurch before us, there's no way we would want to be in the church without it being strengthened."
Timaru Herald 3 March 2012
Temuka's Trinity Presbyterian Church was demolished yesterday, 17 months after it was severely damaged in the September 4, 2010, earthquake. Temuka's Trinity Presbyterian Church, a prominent landmark in the town for 112 years, has been demolished because of earthquake damage. Demolition workers spent yesterday bulldozing the church after it sustained irreparable damage in the September 4, 2010 earthquake. Church treasurer said demolition was the only option, after the building sustained severe cracking and movement of the back wall, which had become separated from the rest of the building. "It just became too big of a hurdle [to fix]." "It doesn't take a long time to bring it down, but it was a long time putting it up," he said. "It's a sad day for the church, absolutely, but you can't do anything about it, unfortunately." However, not all was lost. Workers spent an hour and a half retrieving the bell from the tower before beginning work to bring the church down in the early afternoon. Plans were already under way to expand its multi-purpose building, which was built on site eight years ago. The tower bell and a stained glass window have been retrieved and will probably be installed in the new church building. Everything else, including the woodwork and bricks, will be taken away by contractors. "Most of the wood that's left has had a fair attack by borer; it hasn't been kept."
The fallen metal finial off the spire was not replaced after it fell off in 1919.
The Temuka Tournament, or, Presbyterianism and
Catholicism compared : a reply to the pamphlet "Protestantism v. Roman
Catholicism" of the Rev. J. Dickson ... / by the Very Rev. Theophilus le Menant
Publisher Dunedin : Tablet, 1896.
Description 190 p. ; 21 cm.
Timaru Herald, 17 July 1872, Page 2
Presbyterian Church, Temuka and Geraldine District. The manse contemplated for the Rev Geo. Barclay, we hear, is in course of erection. The premises are to consist of a large ten-roomed dwelling-house, two stories high throughout, with bow windows both in the drawing-room mid dining-room, wash-house, buggy-house, two-stalled stable, and harness-room. The architect is Mr John Currie, of Temuka, and the contractor, Mr Joseph Dean, of Geraldine. The office-houses being the first portion of the premises taken in hand, are on the eve of completion. For the church at Geraldine, the architect and contractor is Mr Wm. Upton, of Timaru. A quantity of timber is laid on the ground for the structure, but the building is not yet commenced. It is greatly to be regretted, for the more expeditious completion of the undertakings that the Raukapuka Sawmills have ceased to supply orders during the winter. The manse land, since our last information, has been securely fenced all round, the expense about £50 being borne by the private munificence of Mr Angus Macdonald, of Waitui. The annual congregational meeting of the Temuka district is settled to come off on or about the 20th of August. The ladies are being asked to take the matter in hand, which, no doubt, they will cheerfully and liberally respond to. The united choirs of the Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and Wesleyan churches, with great cordiality and good-will, are already at work preparing for the musical part of the celebration. The splendid bell recently cast by Mr Gray, of the Temuka Foundry, is greatly admired in tone, and is heard at long distances. Some improvements, however, have yet to be effected, both m hanging and ringing. With the heavy tongue, beating with greater impact on the side, the sound will be much stronger and fuller.
Auckland Star, 9 June 1923, Page 6
A unique ministry of twenty years has just been finished at Temuka, South Canterbury, by the Rev. Charles Macdonald, M.A.. who has resigned through throat trouble, and who intends to immediately come north and spend the rest of the -winter in the more congenial climate of Auckland. The reverend gentleman was born in an adjoining parish to the late Mr. W. Robertson Nicoll, for long the editor of the "British Weekly," and is a graduate of Aberdeen University. He came to New Zealand 32 years ago and spent twelve years between the New Plymouth and Waverley Presbyterian Churches. For the past twenty years he has been at Temuka. Last week at a meeting where the Mayor and councillors of Temuka were present, as well as other prominent men of the town, the retiring minister was presented with many tokens of goodwill from the people, including a cheque for £250.
St. Mark's Methodist Church
Sunday Service: 9 am. Denmark St. cnr of Studholme St. Temuka
Presbyter: Bruce Anderson
Drop in numbers. The church was opened in December 1892 and through the years had a Sunday school building located on one side in 1872 which no longer exists, and a hall on the other in 1969 which remains.
Timaru Herald, 10 December 1892,
Page 3 PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH, Temuka
The new church erected at Temuka in connection with the Primitive Methodist persuasion was formally opened on Thursday afternoon, when the Rev. Mr Cocker, of Ashburton, conducted divine service and preached a sermon appropriate to the occasion. About 5 o'clock a tea meeting was held in the old church, now utilized as a Sunday school. The tea was the gift of Mr Thomas Barr, and was served by Mesdames Lloyd, Hooper, Bryant, Metson, Preddys and Fletcher. Later in the evening there was a public gathering in the new church at which there was a very large attendance. The chair was taken by Mr J. T. M. Hayhurst, who congratulated the members of the Primitive Methodist body upon their enterprise in building so convenient and handsome an edifice, and also upon its comparative freedom from debt. The Rev. Mr Woollas then gave a brief statement of the financial position from which it appeared that some £50 would have to be raised to complete payment to the contractors. Among the donations received towards the building appeared the following W. H. Fletcher £10 (exclusive of labour), E. Prattey £7, G. Preddy, J. T. M. Hayhurst, A. Morton, and A. E. G. Rhodes, £5 each B. Metson £3, J. Epps £2. C. McKenzie £2, 2s, and several donations of a guinea. The funds were augmented by the balance from the cake and apron fair £34 8s and by the proceeds of the jubilee entertainment £5. Although the church was still in debt he thought the members were to be congratulated upon their position. The Rev. Woodward delivered a very inspiriting address upon the "Religion of the Times," and was followed by the Rev. Mr Boothroyd, who spoke of 'How God's Work had been Going On." The Rev Mr Cocker, the next speaker, dealt with the subject of church progress and he was succeeded by Messrs C. Mackenzie and W. Smith, who both delivered brief addresses. The Rev Mr. Woollas then moved a vote of thanks to all who had assisted in the building of the church and in making that evening's gathering a success. He referred to the very liberal assiatance that had been given m money matters, and also in labour, and asked them to specially thank Mr Blyth for purchasing plans and specifications free of cost. The motion was seconded by Mr W. Fletcher in a brief speech, and carried with applause. In the course of the evening a number of hymns were sung by the choir, Miss Goodey officiating at the harmonium, and Mrs Warburton sang very sweetly, "O, Rest in the Lord." The meeting closed with the Benediction. The building measured 45ft by 24ft. The studs are 14ft, and the height to the apex of the roof is 23ft. The foundation are of concrete. The building is lined throughout and dadoed and is well lighted with circular headed windows. A neat rostrum has been erected, and the church is approached by in flight of concrete steps. Its situation is exceptionally good, being on an elevated corner section in Denmark street, Arowhenua. The architect, as before mentioned, is Mr James Blyth, and Meesrs Clinch and Lloyd, the contractors, have carried out his designs most faithfully.
"The advent of work and sport on Sundays saw the decline."