Press, 17 March 1911, Page 9
Mr G. Levens was the first to erect a house on the Temuka side of the river, near where he now resides on the main road, and it is interesting to note that near by is growing the first blue gum tree planted in South Canterbury, from seed brought from Cooper's Creek, South Australia, by Mr Malcolm Mathias, nephew of the Ven Archdeacon Mathias. Mr Levens first started in business as a butcher, and obtained his sheep from Messrs Hornbrook and Cox, to supply the Georgetown settlers. The next building in Temuka was a store built by Mr Copestake, afterwards taken over by Messrs Clarkson and Turnbull, of Timaru, and was on the site of Mr J. Brown's present business premises, Messrs Brown and Plante being the proprietors, prior to the former buying his partner out. Next came "The Nuggets', accommodation house, now the Crown Hotel, built by Mr J. H. Dean, who has for many years since been a resident of Woodbury. Mr Dean had previously built the Arowhenua Hotel, on the south side of the Opihi, on the main road, where, in the coaching days, Mr J. V. Glasson was the well known proprietor. Mr J. A. Young had also been a licensee of the Arowhenua Hotel, and he built the Winchester Hotel in 1865, the Royal Hotel (in Temuka) in 1860, and later on, the Moseley Hotel, at Winchester. The Royal Hotel passed through a number of hands in the early days, including Messrs J. H. Dean, Geo. Dyson, P. D. McRae, A. McKinley, and J. Stranks, and Mrs Stranks, who afterwards became Mrs F. Arenas. For many years Mr P. Caird was associated with the Royal Hotel, and the Temuka and Wallingford Hotels were later erections. The accommodation houses or hotels in Temuka were important places in the early days of travelling, as Temuka was the principal stopping place south of Christchurch till Timaru was reached. It was the regular place of call for the bullock drivers, as there was plenty of both feed and water for bullocks, more so than at Timaru. The Opihi River in those days was difficult to negotiate, and a punt ferry service had to be maintained. Tommy's creek was a favourite place—if the term may be used—for bullock drays to get stuck, and the loss of both human and animal life was not unknown in crossing the rivers when in flood.
Challenging times at the local
Nelson Mail, 10 September 2008 paraphrased
Old classic pubs are becoming a rare breed, either knocked down or turned into yuppie bars or have been accidentally burned down like Burkes Pass. The traditional Kiwi rural pubs were once the focus of many New Zealand communities, but these days - in the face of widespread competition and ever-tougher rules - many struggle to get by. Many of the old wooden hotels were built about 100 years ago and retain character on the outside and inside, a relaxed atmosphere with a roaring fire keeps the cold at bay. The walls are covered with old sepia photographs of local farming district 100 years ago. The pubs have history and a huge amount of character. The buildings are old and the business is getting harder and harder. Many are diversifying - backpakers inns, special events like the terminus of a charity bike ride event or a hunting competition. Every year, there are less and less people. Cost is a major factor for everyone and it's difficult to compete with cheap beer prices in the supermarket. People coming to pubs to drink are a dying breed but there is still an eclectic mixture of people similar to that of "a good English pub" maybe a retired policeman, a farmer, an engineer, a developer, a truck driver, and a fisherman. There is always a good night when there's a rugby match on but, generally, the pub is not as busy as we used to be and winters are very quiet. The hotels still offer the traditional hot meal and a bed to overnight travellers, with truck drivers and contractors among their main clientele but local working people are the pub's bread and butter. Traditional country meals include roast dinners and steaks, which are popular with the local clientele, as well as typical bar snacks such as toasted sandwiches and wedges. They come here because they always have. Every pub has to provide at least four different food items under the terms of its licence, a requirement designed to "slow down drinking" and "sober up intoxication". The ban on smoking in pubs was introduced in late 2004 was a change for the better. They are now able to attract more families and the employees they enjoy the clean, smoke-free environment. The traditional hotel culture is gone. Pubs used to be an integral part of the community but now people are very hard up and they can't afford to come out. Business wouldn't survive if it weren't for her traditional meals and faithful regulars. They're all over 40. Many pubs are living on the back of tourism with a small resident population in the rural towns cafe-bars depend on the tourist dollar. If it were not for tourists, there would be fewer licensed premises.
The Crown Hotel, 64 King Street, Temuka, on the corner with Domain Ave.
D.B. Temuka Hotel 141 King St, Temuka
N.Z. Historic Place - Category II Date Registered: 23-Jun-1983 Timaru District Council
Legal Description: Secs 36-37 Wallingford Town
Timaru Herald, 23 March 1867, Page 2
The house and premises, consisting of half an acre of land and a butcher's shop, situate opposite to the Royal Hotel, was sold by auction here yesterday, and fetched the large price of £480, the purchaser being Mr F. LeCren, of Timaru. I remember the same section being sold about three years ago for £50, and it was then thought a large price. There is to be a great sale of cattle and horses at the Crown Hotel Stockyards, on Saturday, the 23rd March, to commence at twelve o'clock. The stock is of a first-class description, and ought to realise good prices. Mr Barnard, from Christchurch, is the auctioneer.
The new stables and repository are now nearly complete, and are to be fitted up with every convenience. It is a . speculation that certainly deserves success, and it is to be hoped that Mr Dyson may reap a good benefit from the undertaking. I see that Dr Caro is about to build a large house about a mile to the northwest of the Waihi Crossing. The specifications are now out, and to be seen at Messrs Mendelsohn and Morris's store, and worthy the attention of contractors.
Amusements here seem to be by fits and starts. For the last six months there has not been a single performance of any sort, while at the present moment there are four or five programmes on the board. First, on Friday (to-morrow), Cook's circus ; next week, the soiree m aid of the Presbyterian Church, and a concert by the Christy Minstrels j and directly after that, another vocal and instrumental concert, given for the benefit the Royal Arowhenua Brass Band : so there will be no hick of recreation for the pleasure-seeking public. The poundkeeper here has not yet been gazetted, and it is quite a nuisance to have to be continually sending to the Timaru pound, when, if the cattle or horses are to be put in "durance vile," the nearer to the owner s residence the better.
There is no news here yet about the rumoured tax on the duck shooters, and I suppose that "April fool's day" will be a regular English first of September amongst the lovers of the ramrod. The ducks are very plentiful, but seem exceedingly wild already.
The Empire Hotel, King Street, Temuka. Established in 1913 with John Dailey as the first publican. 620 sqm.
D.B. Coira's Royal Hotel 75 King St, Temuka
NZ Historic Place - Category II Date Registered: 23-Jun-1983 Timaru District Council
Legal Description: lot 1 DP 7524 Pt sec 49 Town of Wallingford . Original Construction: 1894
Oct. 2008 "Temuka - chain stores and franchise junk food outlets haven't penetrated this hardy South Canterbury second-hand shopper's paradise. Its petrol station is called Gasoline Alley."
Timaru Herald Wednesday 15 November 1899
Mr J. Sullivan announces that he has taken over the Royal Hotel, Temuka. This hotel is one of the best in the district.
May 1 1871 Canterbury Police Gazette
Stolen from the person Henry Eagle, of Smithfield, near Temuka, while lying asleep during the night of the 1st ult., in the Royal Hotel, Temuka, two 10 notes of the Union Bank of Australia issue. Eagle had the money on his person when he went to sleep, after drinking heavily, and on waking in the morning, found that it had been stolen. John Curtis, suspected, description:- An Englishman, 25 years of age, 5ft 6 or 7 in in height, fair hair and complexion, no whisker, beard or moustache. Curtis resides in Temuka.
The Arowhenua Hotel on State Highway 1 just over Opihi Bridge, south of Temuka.
Wolseley Hotel, Winchester on corner of State Highway 1 and Baker Street, Winchester. Around 1900 a toilet block and four bedrooms were added. Still has an old coal range in the kitchen. Built in 1864 J.A. Young, who also had the Winchester Hotel built in 1863. Thomas Langdon took over the hotel in 1893. Publicans over the years include R. Wakeley, McGregor, Bennett, J.J. Cotter, Jim Stickings, John Parker, Tom Wilson, George Blackham (1940s), John Milliken, Eldrin Brown, Bill Dunne, Cran Lewis, Kelvin Lewis, Ian Bowan, Bill Dover, Noel Williams, Ian Meyer and John Hunt. Since 2006 Alistair and Dianne Herbert who took it over from Hunt. The sun was directly behind the building.
Timaru Herald, 17
August 1896, Page 2
The many friends of Mr and Mrs T. Langdon, [photo] of Wolseley hotel, Winchester, will learn with much regret of the death [15th] of their eldest daughter, Mrs Frederick Shallard, age 25, which took place suddenly on Saturday afternoon at Winchester. The deceased lady was a great favourite at Winchester, and her husband and parents will, we are sure, have the heartfelt sympathy of a wide circle of friends in their very sad and sudden bereavement. [she had delivered a daughter on the 15th August] [Fred W. Shallard was a wool classer at Orari Gorge Station]
North Otago Times, 9 August 1866, Page 2
A grand supper and ball was given by Mr W. Kinlay, at Arowhenua, in commemoration of the opening of the Crown Hotel, which was well attended and went off with great eclat.
New Zealand Tablet, 2 April 1897, Page 15
That popular old "sport" Michael Scannell has retired from hotel-keeping, and Mr. Timothy Twomey has taken possession of the Wallingford Hotel, to which he is having extensive alterations carried out, amongst which is the addition of first-class stabling accommodation. Mr. Twomey came here with a first-class reputation, and I may say he has even surpassed it since taking up his abode here. Mr. Twomey is a typical hotelkeeper, and he is almost singular for his straightforward and genial qualities. His friends in places where he has been residing will be pleased to learn that he is "doing well" and becoming more and more popular.
New Zealand Tablet, 6 June 1901, Page 5
Mr. Patrick Lyons, who established a good connection for the Arowhenua Hotel, has purchased the Star Hotel from Mr. W. Cronin, who, I understand, is to take a trip Home. While in the Arowhenua Mr. Lyons made a number of friends, who will be glad to hear that he is prospering in his new home.
Otago Witness, 19 August 1903, Page 48
Mr M'Auliffe, the well-known giant of the police force, who has for some time been mine host of the Gladstone Hotel, but was reduced in June last, has secured a lease of the Wallingsford Hotel, Temuka, and will leave for the north in a few days. Mr M'Auliffe is one of the keenest of our anglers and shots, and will find the district to which he is going a perfect sportsman's paradise.
Otago Witness, 7 July 1909, Page 63
Wednesday night saw the closing of the Geraldine hotels. Six licenses lapsed owing to the inclusion, of the district in the Ashburton electorate — three in Geraldine, and one each at Orari, Rangitata, and Arundel. As it was market day in Geraldine a large number of country residents were in town, and the streets presented an animated appearance during the afternoon. There was no rowdyism or excitement until after 10 o'clock, when the bars were closed, but from then on till midnight a number of young men made things lively at the upper end of the town by indulging in a good deal of noise. Two policemen were on duty, and they came in for some "barracking" and hooting, but no arrest was made. A fight appeared imminent between two individuals during the evening, and they crossed the swing bridge over the Waihi River to settle their quarrel in a quiet road. The crowd followed to see fair play, and when the majority reached the centre of the structure it suddenly collapsed, landing several in the icy water.
Timaru Herald, 29 May 1882, Page 3
There has been quite an exodus of hotel keepers from this neighborhood of late. Mr Watkins, late proprietor of the Rangitata Hotel is succeeded by Mr Dormer. The Woodbury Hotel, late in the occupation of Mr Beecher, has a new landlord. The Orari , Hotel, lately occupied by Mr Brosnahan, has again fallen into the hands of Mr Wanisworth, and Mr Digby Andrews succeeds Mr Muff as host of the Crown Hotel at Geraldine.
NZ Truth 29 August 1929, Page 5
AFTER tickling the musical palate of a Temuka audience at a sacred band concert on a recent Sunday evening, Samuel Burns and Maurice Murray, two Timaru members of the Temuka Band, adjourned to the Empire Hotel for the purpose of tickling their own palates with liquid refreshment. Everything went off to schedule, until P.C. Southworth, passing the hotel and hearing voices m the bar, looked, in and made himself known. Burns and Murray were subsequently charged before Mr. C. R. Orr-Walker, S.M., with being found on licensed premises after hours. Mr. W. D. Campbell (Timaru) appeared for defendants, and endeavored to show that they had been bona fide boarders, having intended to stay the night at the hotel. It was stated that defendants had been. allotted a room by the proprietor, but had not been entered m the guestbook. The Magistrate intimated that he was unable to accept the defence, and convicted and fined, each defendant £2 and costs. Matthew Coffey, proprietor of the Empire Hotel, for selling liquor at a time when such premises were required by law to be closed, was convicted and fined £5 and costs.