Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 899-917. Published 1903
TEMUKA is on the main south line of railway, eighty-nine miles from
Christchurch, and eleven miles to the north of Timaru. The surrounding district
is rich agricultural country; toward the sea the land is particularly fertile,
and was originally a wild swamp, but it now yields crops with average sixty
bushels of wheat and from seventy to eighty bushels of oats to the acre.
With a few exceptions, the holdings are comparatively large, and the whole
district is dotted with fine plantations, which afford shelter to the stock
and homesteads and lend a sylvan grace to the landscape. The district is well
watered, as the Opihi and Temuka rivers are about half a mile from the town,
the Orari three miles, and the Rangitata about ten. These rivers are
known to all anglers as being stocked with trout, which, in respect to
size and delicacy, equal the best in New Zealand. Temuka is, therefore,
in high favour with anglers, some of whom come from Australia, and even
England, every fishing season. In itself Temuka is a pleasant country
town, with broad clean streets, and fresh water running in the channels.
It is well supplied with schools, churches, hotels, and livery stables. Many
of the buildings are in brick, and the shops are supplied with articles equal
to those in the larger centres of population. There are two doctors, two
chemists, and one dentist in the town, which has a well kept park and domain,
with a bicycle track, and tennis, cricket and football grounds. The post and telegraph
office and the courthouse are built in brick. A large amount of business is transacted
at the local railway station and the goods sheds. At the census taken on
the 31st of March 1901, Temuka had a population of 1,465; 767 males, and 698
of Temuka in 1898. Butterfield, Photo.
THE TEMUKA BOROUGH COUNCIL meets in the Council Chambers on the first Wednesday in each month. There is a population of 1465 in the borough which is assessed at a capital value of �87,300 carries general rate of one penny and a-half in the pound. There are 571 ratepayers. Members for 1903; Messrs T. Buxton (mayor) R.V. Phillips, C.A. Battes, T. King. G.W. Armitage, D. McInnes, D. Henry, H. Lee. J. Brown, and J. Holwell. Mr E. Cutten is Town Clerk.
HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR, Mr. Thomas BUXTON, has been a member of the Temuka Borough Council since its formation in 1899. He is a son of Mr. S. Buxton, formerly member of the House of Representatives for Rangitata; was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1863, and arrived in New Zealand in 1865. After receiving his education at the public schools in the vicinity of Christchurch, he was engaged as a clerk in the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association stores at Timaru, and subsequently as a book-keeper in the office of a well-known Temuka merchant. In 1892 he commenced business on his own account as a grain and produce merchant in Temuka. Mr Buxton was married to a daughter of Mr E. Brown, of Temuka, in April 1898. He was elected Mayor in 1902, in succession to Mayor Hayhurst, who resigned to make a prolonged visit to Europe.
COUNCILLOR David HENRY is one of the original council members of the Temuka Borough Council, as he was first elected, when the Town Board merged in to the Council in 1899, and was returned at the election of 1901. Councillor Henry has done much to bring the Temuka fire brigade up to its present efficiency, as he has been its captain for seventeen years. He has also taken a considerable interest in the Caledonian Society, of which he has been vice-president for ten years, and was president for two years, Councillor Henry was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1849, and educated at a private school at Kattins. He was subsequently trained as a blacksmith, and followed his trade in different parts of Scotland rill 1870, when he left for New Zealand. On the 12th of November in that year, he arrived in Temuka, and immediately established the smithy which he still conducts, Mr Henry was married, in 1872, to Miss A. Robertson, also a native of Scotland, and there is a family of five sons and two daughters.
COUNCILLOR HOLWELL was elected to the Temuka Borough Council in September, 1902, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Mr J.A. McCaskill, and was re-elected in 1903. He is refereed to in another article as the owner of Seadown Farm, Seadown.
COUNCILLOR Henry LEE has been associated with the local government of Temuka since 1893, when he was elected a member of the Temuka Town board. Six years later, he took a prominent part in bringing the borough into existence. At the completion of this change he was elected a member of the council, and still holds a seat.
COUNCILLOR R.V. PHILLIPS, Member of the Temuka Borough Council, was elected in April, 1903. He is refereed to in another article as proprietor of the Crown Hotel.
CUTTEN, Edward, J.P., Clerk of the Temuka Borough Council, was born at Dunedin in 1862m and is a son of the late W.H. Cutten, and grandson of the late Captain Cargill. He was educated partly at Dunedin and partly in England, and has had business training as a banker, having for many years been in the Bank of New South Wales. Mr Cutten, married Miss Mendelson, widow of the late Mr Julius Mendelson, who was one of the most prominent residents in Temuka. He is further referred to in the Military Section of this volume as Quartermaster of the South Canterbury Infantry Battalion. Ferrier photo
THE TEMUKA ROAD DISTRICT extends from the Rangitata river to the Opihi. It is bounded on the east by the ocean, and comprises some of the finest land in Canterbury. The ratable value is estimated at �756,794, with a rate of three farthings in the pound. Mr John Talbot is chairman of the Board, and other members are Messrs John Airey, Peter Coira, Alexander Bissett, and Daniel McCaskell; with Mr E.B. Cooper as secretary and overseer.
COIRA, PETER, Member of the Temuka Road Board, was born at Como, in Italy, in 1845. He left his native land for England in 1858, was there for five years, the came to Lyttelton by the "Cosipore." In 1864, travelling all over the province, and being engaged at most of the mining centres in Otago. In the beginning of 1866 he came to Temuka and worked at The Royal Hotel. When Major Young, the proprietor, removed to Winchester in 1869, Mr Coira was engaged at the Crown Hotel, where he remained until 1872. He then went to Winchester, and remained there until 1875, when he returned to Temuka as manger of the Royal Hotel for Mrs Heap, and was there until 1870. He then took a trip to the Old Country, and on his return, in 1880, became the licensee of the Royal Hotel. In 1885m he took up the Wallingford Hotel, remaining there until 1890. In the meantime, the Royal Hotel, which he had leased to a tenant fell into his hands. It was destroyed by fire in 1894, and was rebuilt in a very handsome style. Mr Coira was for a time out of business, but has never ceased to take an interest in local affairs. He is a member of the Acclimatisation Society and Angling Club, and acts as judge at competitions; and is one of the oldest volunteers in the Colony, having joined the Temuka Rifles in 1869, and passed into the reserve in 1895 with the rank of colour-sergeant. He has received the long service and Imperial medals. Mr Coira was also for a time an active member of the Temuka Volunteer Fire Brigade. In 1898, he represented the brigade at the Auckland conference and demonstration. He was married in 1883 to Miss Watt, and has had three sons and one daughter. His daughter died on the 19th of June, 1903. Mr Coira is refereed to in another article as proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Temuka. Ferrier photo
COOPER, Edward Binion, Secretary and Overseer to the Temuka Road Board was born in Poverty Bay. in 1853, and arrived in Canterbury in 1862. In his earlier years he was employed in contracting and road making, until his appointment as secretary and overseer to the Mount Somers Road Board; a position he filled for fourteen years. In 1898 he received his present appointment from the Temuka Road Board, and holds a similar position on the South Orari River Board. Mr Cooper was a member of the Bushside school committee, previous to his arrival in Temuka. He is a member of the primitive Methodist church, is married and has a family of four children.
The POST and TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Temuka is a handsome two-story building fronting main street. It was opened by Sir Joseph Ward in June, 1902, to replace the old building. The ground floor is devoted to public offices, and the upper story is occupied as a residence by the postmaster.
WINTERBURN, A.A, Postmaster at Temuka, was born at Nelson, and entered the Government service as a cadet in the telegraphic department at Wellington. He was postmaster, registrar and clerk of the Magistrate's Court at Charleston, and postmaster at Arrowtown and Kaitangata, before receiving his present appointment in 1902.
THE DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL at Temuka was built in 1881, and is divided onto seven large class rooms. All the usual subjects are taught, and tuition is also given in the higher branches if required. The school has an average attendance of 346; 200 boys and 146 girls.
McLeod, Murdoch, B.A. Headmaster, was born in South Canterbury, and educated at Pleasant Point, Orari, Temuka and at the Timaru High School. He became a pupil-teacher at the Temuka High School in 1886, and graduated B.A. at the Otago University in 1896. In that year he became headmaster of the Timaru South School, and received his present appointment in 1898.
St. Peters Anglican Church
The REV. J.M. ADCOCK, M.A., Vicar of Temuka, was born in Tamworth, Staffordshire, England, and received his education at Tamworth grammar school. He came to New Zealand in 1889, studied under the late Bishop Suter, and was ordained deacon in 1890. and priest in 1892, when he was appointed vicar of Brightwater and Waimea West. In 1893 he became incumbent at Motueka. Mr Adcock returned to England in 1894, and entered St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1898 and M.S. in 1902. He was curate at St. Barnades, Cambridge, from 1895 till 1898, and curate of Ashton from 1898 to 1899. In 1899 he went to India as secretary to the British and Foreign Bible society After his return to New Zealand he was curate to Archdeacon Harper at Timaru, until he entered on his charge at Temuka, in 1902.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Temuka
Photo welcoming Sir George Grey. 1867. Weeks Ltd. photo page 901
The Rev. Father Louis FAUVEL, S.M., Rector of St. Joseph's , Temuka, is a native of Normandy, France. He obtained his primary education at St. Lo College, studied Theology at the great seminary of Constances, and was ordained in 1860. After several years spent in the ministry in France and ten years among the cannibals of Fiji, his health was completely broken down. Ordered by his superiors to a cooler climate, he came, in 1875, to New Zealand, laboured for fifteen months with Rev. Father Goutenoire in the parish of the Scared Heart at Timaru, and was then appointed parish priest of Temuka, where he has always been since and where, most likely, he will end his days.
THE "TEMUKA LEADER" (Jeremiah Matthew Twomey, Proprietor and Editor, Temuka). The "Temuka Leader" was established in 1877 by Mr J. Ives, who disposed of it a year later to Mr Utting, a reporter on the staff of the "Lyttelton Times." Mr Utting carried it on for some time, and ultimately it fell into the hands of Mr A. Wilson, a local storekeeper. The paper had not hitherto prospered, and it could not be expected that it would improve in the hands of an amateur journalist. When, therefore, it was purchased in 1881 by Mr Twomey, its present proprietor, it had reached a very low ebb; but it soon became apparent that new life had been infused into it. The circulation went up rapidly, and the advertising column, which had been made up of "dummies," began to assume a healthier appearance. It was not long before other papers began to quote from its columns. .... Twomey started the "Geraldine Guardian," the first number of which appeared in April, 1883. Both papers are published tri-weekly, and are very popular in the district in which they circulate.
Hon. Jeremiah Matthew TWOMEY, M.L.C., Editor and Proprietor of the "Temuka Leader" and Geraldine Guardian," is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Legislative Council.
ASPINALL, William Gregson, Barrister and Solicitor, High Street, Temuka, P.O. Box 1. Private residence, "Kynnersiey." Mr Aspinall is a Londoner by birth and came to New Zealand in 1875. He served his articles with the late Mr B.C. Haggitt, Crown solicitor, Dunedin, and was admitted to the Bar in 1882 by Mr Justice Williams; shortly afterwards he commenced practice in Temuka, and in 1889 took into partnership Mr J.W. Salmond, now professor of law at Adelaide University. Mr Aspinall has held several public offices, having been a member of the local road board and of the cemetery and parks board. He was one of the originators of the South Canterbury acclimatisation Society and acted as secretary for some time; he is still a member of the council as well as solicitor for the society. Mr Aspinall is the local representative of the Colonial Mutual Life assurance Society, the South British Fire and Mutual Insurance Company, and the New Zealand accident Assurance Company.
HAYES, John Shaw, M.D.
R.U.I, L.R. C.S.I. and L.M., Temuka. Dr Hayes was born in Dublin, Ireland,
educated at Trinity College, and qualified for his profession in 1876. He
arrived in New Zealand in 1877, and has since practised at Temuka, where he has
a private hospital under the superintendance of a trained nurse.
Old Identities' Memorial, Temuka Weeks. photo page 902
WARREN, John Monteith, M.D. M.Ch. L.M. Queen's University, Ireland. Dr Warren studied at Dublin, Galway, and Edinburgh, and qualified for the medical profession in 1874. Before coming to New Zealand he practised in New South Wales for a time, and finally settled in Temuka in 1898. Dr Warren has been home twice, for the purpose of studying the latest methods in connection with his profession.
A history and
genealogy of the Warren family
London :: R. Clay & Sons,, 1902, 419 pgs.
John Monteith Warren b. Baltimore 1st March 1853, M.D. and M. Ch Queen's University, Ireland, 1874 settled in New Zealand as a doctor; m. Lizzie Maria second daughter of J.G. Knight of Melbourne. His first wife died at Gore 18 March 18994, age 34. He married secondly d/o Edmund Bullivant of Wolverhampton, England, and now resides at Temuka.
THE MEDICAL HALL, Main Street,
Temuka. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1899, by Mr
Eichbaum, a well known chemist of Timaru who engaged Mr W. H. Carl to
conduct the pharmacy. In the succeeding year Mr W. H. Carl purchased the
business, which has steadily increased since it came into his possession.
The premises are well stocked with a large assortment of drugs and druggists
sundries, as well as numerous popular proprietary preparations.
CARL, William Henry the proprietor of the Medical Hall, was born in Christchurch in 1875, and educated at Christ's College, where he matriculated in 1896. Evincing a special liking for chemistry, he was apprenticed to Messrs Cook and Ross , of Christchurch, and in 1897 he took his diplomas as a duly qualified chemist. In 1898 he went to Sydney, where he spent eighteen months in some of the leading pharmacies. Mr Carl turned to New Zealand towards the end of 1899. During his residence in Temuka he has taken considerable interest in various phases of active life, and is a member of several clubs.
THE BANK OF NEW ZEALAND at Temuka is a two-story building, of handsome design, and is situated in the main street of the town. The banking apartments are on the ground floor, and the manger's residence takes up the remainder of the building.
BROWN, Walter Hudson, manger of the Bank of New Zealand at Temuka, was born in Nelson and entered the service of the bank at Reefton, in 1877. He afterwards opened the Lyall agency, his service in both places covered about five years. After a short term at relief duty he took the agency of the Charleston branch for about three years, and was appointed manager at Kumara in 1886. He was temporarily in charge at St. Bathans, Otago, prior to receiving his present appointment in 1901. Mr Brown became a Freemason at Reefton inn 1879, and was one of the Wardens of the Lodge Kilwinning, Charleston, and at present a member of the Lodge St. George, Temuka. He has always taken a keen interest in sports and is now secretary of the Temuka Sports association, and one of the directors of the Caledonian Sports Committee. While at Charleston he married Miss Dike daughter of the late Charles Dike, architect, Melbourne.
TEMUKA ENGINEERING WORKS (James Findley, proprietor), Temuka. This extensive business was established in 1874 by Messrs Henry and Findlay, who began in a small way with a blacksmith's shop. After twelve years Mr Henry retired, and Mr Findlay became sole proprietor. Since its foundation the business steadily extended and the premises have been enlarged on two occasions, and seven hands are now employed at the works. General blacksmithing, engineering, and the repair of agricultural implements, engines, threshing mills, and agricultural machinery generally are all branches of the business. Duplicates of reapers and binders are kept in stock, and also assortments of all parts of agricultural implements. In the earlier days of settlement Mr Findlay had a reputation for the manufacture of ploughs and harrows, for which he obtain numerous prizes at the various agricultural exhibitions.
FINDLAY, James, Proprietor of the Temuka Engineering Works, is the only son of Mr David Findlay, an old settler in the Temuka district, and came with his father to New Zealand, by the ship "Mermaid" in 1862. He learned his trade with the late Mr Bryant, of Temuka, and with Mr F. Gray, engineer of the same town. In conjunction with Mr Henry, he founded the business, which has now attained to a leading position in South Canterbury. Mr Findlay has always taken an active part in the affairs of the town, and was a member of the Town Board, before Temuka became a borough. He joined the Temuka Rifles in 1869, and held his the commission of lieutenant from 1874 until his retirement in 1896, when he was placed on the honorary unattached list. As a Freemason Mr Findlay is a Past Master of their Lodge of St. George, Temuka. Mr Findlay is married and has a family of three children. His eldest son, Mr James Findlay, served in South Africa with the New Zealand Second and Eighth Contingents.
CLINCH, Stephen, Contractor, Temuka This old colonist was born in London in 1829, and has been in New Zealand for nearly forty years. He worked for Messrs Collard and Collard, piano manufactures, for many years. After his arrival in the colony he worked on the Otago goldfields, where he was fairly successful. Later on he went to Nelson, where he was connected with mining. Subsequently he removed to Temuka, where he started as a contractor and builder, and erected the chief buildings of the place including the Bank of New Zealand, the English Church, Wesleyan Church, etc. Mr Clinch has been a member of the Temuka Town Board, He was married in the Old Country, and has a family of eight sons, and one daughter.
FREW, Alexander, Builder, Temuka. Mr Frew has been associated with the local government of Temuka since 1885. It was largely due to the energy of himself and a few others that the road board district of Temuka was, in that year, transformed into a town district, under the control of the Temuka and the Arowhenua Town Boards. On the completion of this change, Mr Frew, was elected a member of the Arowhenua Board, and since then he has, till lately, held a seat in the governing body of Temuka. Mr Frew was born in Stirlingshire, Scotland, in 1843, and is a son of Mr John Frew, farmer, of Filsyth, Stirlingshire. He was educated at the Free Church school in the native district. and was trained as a joiner, a trade which he afterwards pursed for ten years in Glasgow, In 1874 Mr Frew sailed from Glasgow for New Zealand, and early in 1875 he settled in Temuka, where since followed his trade of builder.
GABITES, A. Draper.
Clothier and Outfitter, Timaru and Temuka; Manager of the Temuka branch, Mr Cowper
Lashlie. The Temuka branch if this extensive business was established
in 1902 in large brick premises in Mendelson's buildings, near the post office.
The main shop is lighted by a large plate glass window, in which well assorted
stock of clothing, drapery and gentlemen's mercery is temptingly displayed. All
goods are sold at precisely the same prices as those which prevail at the Timaru
establishment. Everything offered is of the best quality and of the latest
prevailing fashion. The showroom is fitted with the latest novelties, and the
boot and shoe department contains a large assortment of colonial and European
manufacture. Suits made to order from the best colonial and English tweeds
can be supplied within a few days to fit to perfection, and finished in the best
style of the trade. The business is conducted on purely a cash basis, and the
management's motto is "Small profits and quick returns."
LASHLIE, Cowper, Manger of the Temuka branch of the business of Mr A. Gabites, is a native of Durham, England, and gained his business experience in some of the large leading business establishments in England. He came to New Zealand in 1900, and after gaining colonial experience in Christchurch, was appointed to his present position in 1903. Mr Lashile has always taken an active part in the cause of temperance and other philanthropic movements, and has for some years been a member of the Order of Rechabites. He has patented a combined hat-and clothes-brush, and has received tempting offers in England, and New Zealand, for his patent rights, but has reserved himself sole right to sell the branches in Canterbury. Prices and terms can be obtained from him, on application, at Temuka. Photo of Mr C. Lashile.
RISSEL, Emile, Tailor.
Main Street, Temuka. This flourishing business, which now carried on in
spacious brick premises, was established in 1899. The stock, which is.... continued
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project