Search billions of records on

 Clarkson and Turnbull Penny Token

Some penny tokens were works of art.

Penny Tokens were issued in New Zealand from 1857 to 1881 by various commercial houses during a shortage of British pence and halfpence, copper coins.  Forty-eight retailers such as merchants, grocers, drapers and milliners issued their own penny and half-penny tokens. This practice survived until 1881. Tokens were profitable for the traders because the cost of producing them was well below their face value and many were never cashed in because they were easy to lose. They were a good source of advertising too, as each token carried the business's name. Most of these tokens were made by T. Stokes in Melbourne, and in Australia all were called in, in 1868; but they continued in use in New Zealand, and the last being issued in 1881.

This old one penny copper token measures 34.3mm wide. The observe reads
Clarkson and Turnbull 1865
General Importers
Clothiers & c.

A tradesmens' token issued in Timaru. Towns liked to promote their progressive attitude to attract business.
Although the token features the Timaru breakwater, this was merely wishful thinking at the time as it wasn't finished until three decades later years later.

 The reserve side with shows the breakwater as already in existence, a sailing ship in Timaru harbour and people walking towards the breakwater with a lighthouse at the end and is marked New Zealand Timaru.

Clarkson and Turnbull had a store at Temuka near the Crown Hotel and at the junction of Stafford Street and George Street, Timaru opposite the Club Hotel. The two storey store Timaru was built in 1864 at a cost of £2,500 and the plate glass windows were imported from England at a cost of £150. There was a major fire in Timaru in 1868 and Clarkson and Turnbull lost their warehouse on the west side of Stafford Street, containing boots and the shoe department.

In 1867 Clarkson and Turnbull purchased wheat and flour from the Temuka district and exported it to London on the ship Leichardt with sailed on 11th April to London, direct, with 1,1609 bales wool, and 503 bags of flour, the latter valued at £600, but sailed without wheat.

 David Clarkson Turnbull

Who's who in New Zealand? -edited by Guy Hardy Scholefield - New Zealand - 1941
Page 336 TURNBULL, David Clarkson, Evans st, Timaru. B. Timaru 1868 ; md of Capt. T. Roberts, Scotland. Ed. Timaru ; mercantile life ; founded DC Turnbull and Co.. He was the son of Richard and Mary Turnbull.

Star 7 June 1889, Page 3
Mr D. CLARKSON. The late Mr D. Clarkson was born at Greenwich in 1828, and came out to New Zealand in the Labuan in 1851. Late in this year he went to Melbourne in the steamer Ann, and remained in Melbourne, working as a builder, for about a twelve months. He then returned to Lyttelton, where he started business as a builder. Amongst the buildings he erected was a warehouse for the firm of Messrs Tippets, Silk and Heywood, on Norwich Quay, near the Mitre Hotel. He also built a house in Port, which was occupied by William Sefton Moorhouse. He left Lyttelton for Christchurch, and lived in Cashel street, where he opened a draper's shop, known as Dunstable House, carrying on his trade as a builder also. He had a timber yard, which he rented from Mr Field, on the site now known as Hobday's corner. Having sold his business to Mr William Pratt, he left for England in the White Star ship twenty - three years ago. He commenced buying for the Colonial market, and the majority of those for whom he indented are now dead. When at Home he opened branches for the retail trade in Timaru, Temuka and Rangitiki. Having sold out these, he commenced to do a purely wholesale and indenting trade, and m 1880 he opened branches in Melbourne and Sydney. In 1886 he built and opened a large warehouse in Manchester street in this city, and also branches in Wellington and Dunedin. He has agents in mostly all the towns of New South Wales. He has been out to the Colonies thirteen times. He was sixty-one years old on May 24 last. He leaves a wife and seven children, four sons and three daughters— Mr J. S. Clarkson managing the London house, and Mr A. S. Clarkson the New Zealand. While buying he earned for himself the reputation of being one of the bent and keenest soft goods buyers in London.

Timaru Herald, 30 April 1897, Page 2 Marriage.
Turnbull — Roberts — On the 26th April, at St. Mark's, Wellington, by the Rev. R. Coffey, David Clarkson Turnbull, son of the late Richard Turnbull, of Timaru, to Agnes Callender Roberts, eldest daughter of Captain Thomas Roberts, West Kensington, London.

Arrival Port: New York
David Clarkson Turnbull age 54 11m
Nationality: New Zealand, English
Agnes Callander Turnbull age 54 4m
Residence Timaru
Nationality: New Zealand, Scotch English
Ship arrival date: 29 Oct. 1922
Departure port: Southampton
Ship name: Caronia

The Turnbull Library Record by Friends of the Turnbull Library, Alexander Turnbull Library - 1972
Page 39 TURNBULL, David Clarkson, 1868-1951. Business papers, 1900-11. Microfilm (neg. 75 ft.). Lent for copying: Mr Jack Churchouse, York Bay, Wellington.
Comprises 2 letterbooks concerned with the movements of the barquentine `La Bella', owned by D C Turnbull and Co., and engaged in trading 1901-1905, an Extended Protest registered by the captain and crew of `La Bella' in Dunedin 12 Jul 1901;
minutes of meetings of the Colonial Sailing Ship Company 1906-1911
D C Turnbull & Company
Colonial Sailing Ship Company
La Bella (Ship)
Coastal shipping

Evening Post, 11 June 1900, Page 5
Timaru, 10th June. Mr. Andrew Turnbull, for many years manager of the New Zealand and Australian Loan Company's Pareora estate, and assistant general manager of the company, died here on Saturday, aged 64. He was a very old identity. For the last three years he has been in business in Timaru as a land agent.

Evening Post, 12 August 1903, Page 5
DUNEDIN, 11th August. In the Magistrate's Court to-day, George Mylins, for overloading the ship La Bella so as to submerge the Plinsoil mark, was fined £10.

Hawera & Normanby Star, 14 October 1904, Page 2
WELLINGTON, October 13. The barquentine La Bella, owned by Mr Turnbull, of Timaru, went ashore at Happy Valley, near Island Bay, this morning. The vessel left Port Chalmers on Monday with a cargo of flour for New Plymouth. Yesterday she was overtaken by the gale off Cape Campbell, and was soon in difficulties. Great seas swept the decks, and as nearly all the sails were blown away Captain Mylins hove-to. Between nine and ten o'clock this morning the vessel was off Island Bay, and as she approached the shore three anchors were let go, but they failed to hold, and she went ashore, stern first. Captain Mylins and the crew of nine managed to get, ashore alive, but they had a perilous experience.

Wanganui Herald, 21 October 1904, Page 5
The barquentine La Bella now lies at anchor inside the reef at Ohiro Bay. She will, probably be towed round to the harbour to-morrow.

Evening Post, 1 December 1905, Page
MELBOURNE, This Day. The Court found that Captain Mylius, master of the La Bella, which went ashore about half a mile from the Warrnambool breakwater, was guilty of gross misconduct in attempting to enter the harbour without a pilot. The Court suspended his certificate for twelve months, and ordered him to pay £28, costs of the enquiry.

Grey River Argus, 18 December 1905, Page 2
MELBOURNE Dec -16. The Marine Board has granted Captain Mylius, late master of the La Bella, a second mates certificate.

Hawera & Normanby Star, 6 January 1906, Page 8
MELBOURNE, January 6. Captain Mylius was committed for trial in connection with the wreck of the La Bella.

Wanganui Herald, 26 December 1905, Page 5
SYDNEY, December 25. George Mylius, late master of the barquentine La Bella, was charged with the manslaughter of Harold Watson, a seaman drowned at the time of the La Bella wreck. He was remanded pending the arrival of a warrant from Melbourne.

Wanganui Herald, 22 February 1906, Page 5
Melbourne, February 21. Mylius, captain of the barquentine La Bella, has been acquitted on a charge of manslaughter of Seaman Watson, who was drowned at the time of the wreck.

Wellington, July 17. Mr Turnbull, member of the House of Representatives for Timaru, died this evening at 5 o'clock. He was sixty-four years of age, and had been ill for the last nine months. William Hall-Jones was elected member for Timaru at the by-election on 18 August 1890, a seat he retained until his resignation on 29 October 1908.

The Timaru Herald. Friday, July 18, 1890.
Our readers will be grieved but scarcely surprised to, learn this morning that Mr Richard Turnbull, after, a long and patient fight with a painful malady, at length succumbed to it. Mr Turnbull has made a place for himself in the memories of the people of Timaru of which most of us might well be proud, but he has occupied that place unostentatiously. Mr Turnbull was one of the oldest settlers of Canterbury, arriving in 1851, [He and his wife arrived in 1851 on the Fatima] but a sister arrived on the Dominion in 1851. There was already a brother in Canterbury] in one of the earlier vessels, the fifth or sixth if we mistake not. For some years he was engaged in farming near Christchurch. In 1864 be joined Mr D. Clarkson, a connection by marriage, in establishing a general store in premise on the site known as The Corner. Mr Turnbull had entire charge of their Timaru business. He also with a true foresight into the future progress of the town, but with no prevision of the great disaster which presently befell it, constructed several buildings, cottages and shops, in the neighbourhood of The Corner. All went well with him till the misfortune of December, 1868, when, the great fire made a clean sweep of the principal part of the town, and seriously crippled Mr Turnbull, as well as others, financially. The Corner was rebuilt in stone, and the partnership being dissolved, Mr Turnbull carried on the business on his own account for about a year, when he relinquished it, and took up the business of grain merchant, building for the purpose the large stone store which has since been transformed into the Theatre Royal. He presently added the business of auctioneer, and giving up the grain store removed to George street, and thence to Beswick street, where he occupied premises for several years. As a citizen Mr Turnbull has deserved to be gratefully remembered. In the earlier days he was among the foremost in every good work calculated to improve the material and social status of the town. He worked hard for the establishment of the first public school, and his continued interest in matters educational has been shown in the fact that an address by him has for years past been counted on as part of the breaking up ceremonies of the public school. The Hospital may be said to have been one of his hobbies, and until incapacitated by his malady be was accustomed to conduct services there regularly on Sunday afternoons with such of the patients as were willing to take part in them. He conducted similar services at the gaol in the early morning, and the inmates of both establishments found in. him not merely a religious adviser, but a Christian friend, always ready to do any kind offices for them that lay in his power. The Mechanics' Institute in its early days found him an always ready helper. He was a member of the first Municipal Council and Borough Council, and in his place at their tables was an earnest advocate for such measures of improvement as the water supply for the town and harbour works for the benefit of town and district. He was for several years a member of the Provincial Council for Timaru, and assisted Dr Rayner to obtain the provincial vote of £100,000 for the harbour works, which the General Assembly ratified on the abolition of the Provinces. The training in public affairs which these experiences supplied, fitted him for a higher representative employment. He lost a contest for the Waimate seat, but very shortly afterwards, in 1878, on the resignation of Mr Stafford — one of the foremost statesmen for whose services New Zealand has had to be grateful, and who represented Timaru for many years— Mr Turnbull was by general consent requested to succeed him. Mr Turnbull has ever since, and through the test of three or four elections, filled the seat of the representative of Timaru. We do not propose to give a sketch of his political views or political career, but may say that he was always the "popular", or "working man's candidate," and the hold he had obtained upon their respect and esteem before he became a member of the House of Representatives has never been relaxed. We have frequently differed from him on political questions, yet we cheerfully bear testimony to the earnestness and honesty of purpose which characterised the discharge of his duties as member for his constituency. Although Mr Turnbull was not in the front rank of Liberal politicians, his support of the Liberal party was so zealous and consistent, that he will be greatly missed by that side of the House.

Timaru Herald, 21 July 1890, Page 3
The southerly gale which blew on Friday night and Saturday morning upset all arrangements as to the time for performing the funeral ceremonies for the late Mr Turnbull. The Penguin left Wellington at 6.30 on Friday evening, and in ordinary weather should have reached Lyttelton on Saturday morning in time for the coffin to have been brought down by the express, or if moderately bad weather delayed the steamer's arrival, by a special train which should have arrived here early enough for the purpose. Intelligence was received at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday that the Penguin had been signalled at Lyttelton, and the railway authorities arranged for a special train to start from Lyttelton immediately on her arrival. The special did not arrive at Timaru till 6 45 p.m., and therefore it became necessary to postpone the funeral till Sunday, the coffin on arrival being taken to Mr Turnbull's late residence, Grey Road. A testimony of the respect felt for the late member for Timaru by members of the House of. Representatives is the following telegram received by the Mayor on Saturday morning:— " The Mayor, Timaru, — "Please oblige by procuring handsome floral wreaths on behalf of the undersigned friends in the House, and kindly send memo, of expense incurred. Mr Rhodes has wired Mr Perry to provide flowers if florists unable to supply them." (Signed for Sir George Grey, and Messrs Ballance, Walker, Rhodes, Burton, Steward, and Fish) Mr C. A. Wray, R.M., also received a telegram from Captain Russell, requesting him to attend the funeral as the representative of the Cabinet.

The Funeral.
The many friends of the deceased gentleman paid their last respects to his memory by attending his funeral yesterday afternoon. The procession was fully as long as was ever before seen at a funeral in Timaru. At the head marched the adult and junior members of Court Southern Cross, No. 3123, Ancient Order of Foresters, in charge of Chief Ranger Bro. Samuel McBride, the total roll being so numerous as to be close on the full strength of the Order in Timaru. Then followed the members of the Loyal Timaru Lodge, Independent Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, with Bro. F. Cullmann as the Noble Grand. This Order was also numerously represented, and it is worthy of note here that the late Mr Turnbull had long been a brother of both the lodges named and had worked hard to further the interests of friendly societies in South Canterbury. Following the Oddfellows were the members of the Federated Wharf Labourers' Union, and then in turn came the brethren of the Hibernian Catholic Benefit Society, and next them and in front of the hearse the Timaru Garrison Band- The total on foot in front of the hearse was 264, and the band in addition numbered 20 men. Here it may be remarked that the deceased was "the oldest volunteer in Timaru," having been a member of No. 7 Company when volunteering was first started in South Canterbury. It was thus fitting that his body should be borne to its last resting place, on earth amid the strains of the solemn "Dead March." Beside the hearse walked Messrs F W. Stubbs, D. Stuart, George Hedges, G. W. Wade, James Bruce, and Adam Mahon, who, being among the oldest and most attached friends of the deceased, acted as coffin-bearers. Immediately behind the hearse were the chief mourners, the sons (Mr Arthur, Mr David, and Master Turnbull) walking, and Mrs B. Turnbull, Mrs T. Turnbull, and the Misses Turubull in the mourning carriage. Following the carriage were other vehicles containing Mr C. A. Wray (the Resident Magistrate and representative of the Ministry), Mr A. Perry, Mr J. W. White, Mr J. Jackson, Mr Cook (the chief postmaster), Mr W. Evans, Mr Woodsen, and Mr Gordon Wood, and other gentlemen. In a drag were the mayor, the councillors, and the officers of the council, accompanied by Mr J. H. Sutter and other ex councillors, Then came the Timaru Volunteer Fire Brigade, in charge of Captain Jones, sixteen members, and seven foot and mounted constables of Timaru with Sergeant-Major Mason as officer in charge. Following those bodies, who were in full uniform, came residents of Timaru and district to the number of 148, all on foot, and they were followed by 31 vehicles which were filled with people, and at the rear of the procession were seven horsemen. On the head of the procession arriving at St. Mary's Church a stoppage was made, and the coffin having been laid in front of the chancel the Boy. Mackenzie Gibson, read the first part of the service for the burial of the dead. Hundreds of people, lining the footpaths on the way. At the cemetery the friendly societies lined the roadway, and timid the uncovered head of the large mass of people, the coffin was reverently borne by three members of the Wharf Labourers' Union and three members of the Oddfollews Society to the grave, where the Rev. Mr Gibson concluded the service for the dead. The grave was the family one, and was in the oldest part of the cemetery. The religious ceremony over, the members of the friendly societies mid the usual honours to their late brother, and the funeral was at an end.

Timaru Cemetery - 2010

Clarkson and Turnbull, Importers, Exporters, Timaru and Timuka, grocery, firm Timuka

Richard Turnbull (1826-1890) was born near Oxford, England and came to NZ in 1851, died July 1890 aged 64, buried Timaru
 died Jan. 1912 age 83 b. April 1829, buried Timaru (Mrs. Richard Turnbull)
Turnbull, Charles W. b. 1857 d. Feb. 1874 age 17
Turnbull, James Stuart  b. 1864 d. June 1947, Timaru  age 83 .
One of Richard's son's was the architect, Mr. J. S. Turnbull, of a number of local buildings.
Turnbull, Richard b. 1866 d. Feb. 1867 age 7 months, buried Timaru
Turnbull, David C. b. 1868 died Oct. 1951 age 83, buried Timaru
Turnbull, Cyril Gerald Charles, b. 1874 son of Richard and Mary Turnbull, died aged 10 months and 16 days. Died February 28th 1875
Turnbull, son b. on July 5th, 1875 at Timaru, the wife of Richard Turnbull, of a son, Wilfrid Watts.

Marriage TURNBULL - ROBERTS. On the 26th April, 1897 at St Mark's Wellington, by the Rev. R. Coffey, David Clarkson Turnbull, son of the late Richard Turnbull of Timaru, to Agnes Callender Roberts, eldest daughter of Captain Thomas Roberts, West Kensington. London.

Mt White station was originally settled in 1873, its family link extends from 1924 when David Clarkson Turnbull bought the leases of Mt White, Lochinvar, and Riversdale and the farm has been in the Turnbull family until 2016.

Another son was A.H. Turnbull, Fendalton, ChCh
Caroline Lawson d/o John Lawson and Arthur Hughes TURNBULL m. 1885
Children of Caroline and Arthur Hughes TURNBULL
1888 Turnbull, Marjorie Florence
1889 Turnbull Arthur Ronald
1894 Turnbull John Lawson

Wairarapa Daily Times, 13 March 1917, Page 5
A Press Association message from Christchurch states that Mr A. H. Turnbull, a well-known merchant and shipping agent, died there yesterday morning as the result of a paralytic stroke, he was a son of Mr Richard Turnbull, for many years member of Parliament for Timaru. Deceased leaves a widow and two sons. One is Captain John Turnbull, who is on his way back to New Zealand from the front on a health-recruiting trip, and the other is now in camp.

Timaru Herald, 14 March 1917, Page 7 THE LATE A. H. TURNBULL.
Mr Wm. Evans supplies the following appreciation of the late Mr Arthur H. Turnbull:— There died at Christchurch on Monday morning Mr A. H. Turnbull, son of one of the early pioneers of Canterbury, the late Mr Richard Turnbull, who was a well known business man in Timaru and for many years represented Timaru in Parliament. The subject of this notice was well known in Timaru having received his school education here. As a young lad he was in the employ of the Farmers' Co-operative; he afterwards joined the firm of Cunningham and Stead as their grain agent here, and on their retiring from business in Timaru Mr Turnbull was appointed general manager of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association in Christchurch. He proved most successful in that position, and after a few years started in the general grain and export business on Ins own account. At the time of the South African war he was associated with Messrs Weddel Bros., London importers of grain and frozen meat and with them secured large and paying oat contracts. Since then he has continued as a grain and meat buyer and exporter, and was always considered a straightforward, clever businessman. He also took an interest in all civic and political matters which he thought were of benefit to his town and district and New Zealand generally. He was a broad-minded, farseeing, and public-spirited colonist, since the war he has taken much .interest in providing necessary comforts for our men at the front. One of his sons has been lately wounded in France, and his brother, Mr D. C. Turnbull, of Timaru, with his son are also doing military duties for King and Country somewhere in France. The late Mr Turnbull lost by death lately his only daughter, also his mother, and now he has been called away. I feel sure that all who knew the late Mr Turnbull will heartily sympathise with his widow in her great affliction. It was only a few days ago the writer had a long and most interesting conversation with our late departed friend on the subject nearest all our hearts, viz., the terrible war now going on. He then read me a letter from his brother David at the front, and had faith in the ultimate success of Britain and her Allies. He then looked the picture of good health, and his sudden death proves the old adage, "In the midst of life we are in death."

Timaru Herald, 2 May 1868, Page 2 Marriage
April 4, at the residence of Mr Lee, Timaru, by the Rev. Geo Barclay, James TURNBULL, of Waitangi, to Jane, third daughter of Mr Thos. MANGIN, Christchurch.

Birth 1869 March 14, at Christchurch, the wife of Mr James Turnbull of a son
Turnbull, Katherine 17th Nov. 1876 - 10th Nov. 1972, age 95, buried Timaru (in same plot as James Stuart)

South Canterbury, New ZealandGenWeb Project