This church, cnr Woodlands Rd & North St. Timaru was built of red brick in 1912 with the foundation stones being laid 3rd June 1912 by the Hon. T. Mackenzie, Prime Minister of New Zealand, by Mr W. Leggott and by Mr Craige, M.P. There are two stained glass memorial windows in this church. The first Primitive Methodist Church in Timaru was built in 1874.
Grey River Argus, 27 January 1912, Page 6 NEW CHURCH SITE
TIMARU, Jan. 26. A special committee, appointed at the recent Primitive Methodist Conference, visited Timaru yesterday and inspected sites offered for a new church, and to-day completed the purchase of one, in the southwest side of the borough. The old church, which was condemned owing to mischief done by the pine borer and other decay, stood about 80 yards from the Post Office.
Poverty Bay Herald, 4 June 1912, Page 5
Christchurch, this day. Sir Joseph Ward and the Hon. T. Mackenzie went South by, the first express yesterday. The former goes to Invercargill. He hopes to return at the end of the week. The latter breaks his journey at Waimate, and attends the show at Dunedin to-day, going on to Invercargill to attend a banquet to Sir Joseph Ward.
Timaru; this day. Three foundation stones of the new Primitive Methodist Church were laid yesterday by the Prime Minister, and Mr J. Craigie, M.P, and Mr W. Leggott ("Father of the Church" in Timaru) respectively. The Hon. T. Mackenzie motored from Waimate as an old friend of the minister, the Rev. J. Featherston. He caught the express for Dunedin.
William Leggott s/o Thomas Leggott and Isabella Burroughs and was born in August 1840 in Clonmal, Tipperary, Ireland when Thomas was serving in the British Army. William was apparently converted to Methodism in Belton in 1862 and emigrated to on the ship "Greyhound" and arrived in Lyttelton in May 1865. He established a Methodist Church in Christchurch, married Catherine Thornton and moved to Timaru, raising ten children. William, a lay preacher, was the father of Methodism in Timaru. He was the first leader of the Primitive Methodist community in Timaru and worked at this task until the Barnard Street Church was erected in 1874. When this building was condemned the Woodlands Street Church took its place. The 75th anniversary was held over a week at the Woodlands Street Church from 30 Oct. to 7 November 1948. Reference: Gillespie, Oliver A. (Oliver Arthur) South Canterbury A Record of Settlement; 1958 and the www.
Timaru Herald, 5 October 1912, Page 5
Mr H. G. Broadhead, the architect for the new Primitive Methodist Church in Woodlands Road, has received word from Bradley Bros., Christchurch that the leadlight windows are how ready. The contractors, Mr B. Tooth and Sons, have the work well in hand, and the opening celebrations will begin on Thursday, Oct. 17th. The opening ceremony will take place at 3 p.m., after which the dedicatory sermon will be preached by the President of the Rev. G. Knowles Smith, Dunedin.
Papers Past Timaru Herald, 16 January 1874, Page 6
Laying the corner stone of the new church for the primitive Methodists was performed on Jan. 12th by his Worship the Mayor, Mr George Cliff. The site is on the western side of Barnard street, close to the Borough Council Chamber. The building will be of wood, 40' x 26' with studs 12' high. The front elevation will be in an ornamental stone. Pastor Rev. Josiah Ward. Rev. R. Campbell of the Presbyterian Church was also present. A scroll was placed in the cavity together with a copy of the Timaru Herald and the South Canterbury Times of Monday's date, and the stone lowered. Messrs Benjamin Gibson, H. Whittaker, J. Lester, W. Leggett, J. Cockroft, William Clough, J. Huffy, William McGill and Thomas Farrant, trustees; Francis J. Wilson, architect; Messrs Hallman and Gilmour, contractors for the erection of the building. Mr Gibson, on behalf of the congregation here presented Mr Cliff with a very elegant silver trowel, bearing the following inscription; "Presented to George Cliff, Esq., Mayor of Timaru, on his laying the corner stone of the first Primitive Church in Timaru, January 12th 1874."
Barnard St. Methodist Church 3 Sept 1874.
Timaru Herald, 11 March 1887, Page 2
The entertainment given in connection with the Primitive Methodist Band of Hope last evening, at the Oddfellows' Hall, was very enjoyable. There was a large attendance, and the Rev. Mr Dean, Pastor of the Church, presided. Recitations were given by Misses Packman, Edith Wood, Dora Packman, Julia and Minnie Werry, Mary Hilton and Frances Gould, and Masters C. Packman and Charles Hill ; solos by the Misses R. and E. Dean, and Hetty Wood ; dialogues by Miss Fraser and Messrs Muchmore and Clarke ("Dr Quach and his patients") ; Miss Fraser and Mr Muchmore and eight others (" The troubles of a bachelor") ; duet by Misses R Dean and Leggott. The melodies were Nos. 72, 69, 96 and 71. Addresses were given by the chairman and the recently appointed minister, the Rev. T. E Jones, who gave a very able address. In proposing a most hearty vote of thanks to the performers Mr Hilton (Superintendent of the Sunday School) stated that similar enjoyable entertainments would be held at intervals during the winter months. This vote was seconded by Mr Leggott, and Mr Dean's successor (Mr Jones) proposed a vote to the chairman. Miss Rose Dean presided in her usual able way at the piano, and Mr Wood was heard to great advantage on the violin. The City Band, with their usual kindness, played some selections outside the hall, and were listened to with pleasure.
The Vincent Window
Lance Corporal Stanley Victor Carthew Vincent, Canterbury Infantry Regiment, NZEF, 18th Reinforcements, J Company, was killed in action 12 October 1917 Ypres, Belgium.
Rank Last Held: Lance Corporal
Service No.: 28927
First Known Rank: Corporal
Occupation before Enlistment: Farm hand
Next of Kin: A. Vincent (father), 121 Wilson Street, Timaru
CWGC: Son of Alfred and Eliza Vincent, of 70, Wilson St., Timaru.
Embarked on 11 Oct. 1916 with the 18th Reinforcements, J Company.
Last Unit Served was the "C" Company, 2nd Battalion, Canterbury Infantry Regiment.
He was killed in action 12 October 1917 near Belle Vue at the age of 20.
CWCG: Tyne Cot Memorial to the Missing in Belgian Flanders - N.Z. Apse, Panel 2. The names of those from New Zealand units are inscribed on panels within the New Zealand Memorial Apse located at the centre of the Memorial.
His names is also on the Albury War Memorial. He had a sister and brother in law G.A. and G.F. Hall.
The vestibule stained glass window is a striking window designed by Gypsy Poulston, a Timaru artist, in the west porch, executed by Miller Studios, Dunedin. Dedicated on 17 December 1978 in memory of Alfred and Eliza Vincent, their son Corporal Stanley Victor Carthew Vincent killed in action World War I, and their daughter Annie. Donated by their daughter Bertha Ellen Shepherd. Mrs Poulston also designed the window at St. John's, Timaru and Craighead (1973) and Wilson St.
Passchendaele was the scene of a military disaster on October 12, 1917, when New Zealand soldiers suffered 3000 casualties, including 1100 deaths. The Tyne Cot Memorial to the Missing in Belgian Flanders is a semi-circular flint wall, 14ft high, and about, 500ft long, with three apses. The names of those who have no known graves are carved on panels of Portland Stone; the central apse forms the New Zealand Memorial, and bears the names of 1,179 officers and men who fell in October 1917; the wall and the two flanking apses carry the names of dead from the UK who fell between the 15th August 1917 and the Armistice. 4 km after passing the New Zealand Memorial is the New British Cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of Passchendaele and Langemarck.
The McNab Window
I am the resurrection of the Life.
To the Glory of God & in loving memory of Donald Gordon McNab
beloved husband of Jean. Amsterdam April 27 1943.
Sergeant Donald Gordon McNab
Serial No. NZ415416
Rank: Sergeant (Pilot)
NOK: S/o Donald and Anne McNab (nee Geddes) of Timaru, New Zealand; husband of Jessie Joan McNab, of Timaru.
Last Unit Served: Royal New Zealand Air Force, 76 Squadron
DOD: 27 April,1943
Age at Death 33
Cemetery: Amsterdam New Eastern Cemetery, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Grave Reference: Plot 69. Row C. Collective Grave 4
Christ, the Resurrection and the Life, with a Knight, in the north nave, was designed and executed by John W. Brock, Dunedin. Dedicated Nov. 1950. The photos were taken by M.T. at 0900 hours on a cold, 40F, Sunday morning, 5th October 2009, Sunday, when the sun was streaming in.
Greenwood, William (1910 - 1985) Testimony of faith; a
centennial publication of the Woodlands Street Methodist Church covering the
Pamphlet Call Number: BX8326.T7 WOO Auckland War Memorial Museum Library.
Cover caption: Love as boundless as the sea.
Woodland Street Methodist Church, June 1957 : God so loved that He gave... /
Publisher: Timaru, N.Z. : Timaru Herald Print, c1957
Physical Description:  p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
2009 The new synod Central South Island District of the Methodist Church formed through the union of the former North Canterbury and South Canterbury districts.
Methodist Archives Christchurch has Architectural Plans
Woodlands St. Methodist Church - Rhodes St. - Timaru 2p
1953 Proposed Alterations for Woodlands St. Methodist Church; Proposed Kindergarten for Woodlands Street Methodist Church A. L. Williams part hand amended in ballpoint pen
1957 New Woodlands Street
ca 1960s Proposed Alterations to Memorial Window, Proposed Extension and Ramp A. L. Williams hand drawn in ballpoint pen and pencil
ca 1970s New Woodlands Street Methodist Church Hall North St. Timaru 4p APS1917 8321 copy Heaney, Beaven & MacDonald
1975 Proposed Two Flats, Woodlands St.
1982 Proposed Dwelling for Bank Street Methodist Trust No. 79 Arthur Street Timaru 1p
Proposed Parsonage 9 Rhodes Street Timaru for Woodlands Street Methodist Church 8p
Timaru Herald, 25 March 1913, Page 7 Wedding
HAWKEY- LENNIE. A very pretty wedding took place in the Woodlands Street Methodist Church yesterday, when Mr C. S. Hawkey, second son of the Mayor of Timaru, was married to Miss L. J. Lennie, granddaughter of Mr and Mrs Peake, Arthur Street. The Rev. J. Featherston officiated at the ceremony. Mr Peake senr. the bride away, and Misses Mackay and Hawkey were bridesmaids. There was a large congregation to witness the ceremony, and photographs were taken of the party after the ceremony by Mr W. Ferrier on Mr Radcliffe's lawn. After the morning service at the Church on Sunday, the Rev. J. Featherston, on be-half Church and of appreciation of their services for the congregation. Mr Hawkey as a church officer and Miss Lennie as a Sunday School teacher.