Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

WIHS

Waiheke Island Historical Society

P O Box 206, Ostend, Waiheke Island 1843, New Zealand


(Click on map for a larger view.)

Tour the Museum Buildings

New Woolshed

Keane Cottage

Goodwin Cottage

Champion Cottage

Day Cottage

Police cell

 

Day Cottage

Day Cottage

Day Cottage was Waiheke’s original museum building. It was constructed in 1983 on the Anzac Domain in Ostend, and for seven years it housed the entire collection of artefacts and archives of the Waiheke Island Historical Society.

In 1990 the building was moved from Anzac Domain to the Museum’s present site in Rangihoua Park, at 165 Onetangi Straight. At that time it acquired the name of the Society’s co-founder and first president, Dixie Day; its formal name is the Dixie and Edsell Day Memorial Cottage.

Today the cottage is not open to the public, but is available to local groups as a meeting venue, or to researchers by appointment. It holds the Society’s archives on the upper floor.

Archives in Day Cottage

The ground level is a small meeting room equipped with a modern kitchen.

Meeting room in Day Cottage

 

Return to index


This page last modified on 29 March 2013.