Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Search this site powered by FreeFind
 
Dunedin and Port Chalmers 1840 to 1940
This is a temporary list, soon to be expanded into web pages. Each image will load into a new page. The pictures are large in file size and image size. This is for viewing detail and to provide you with photo quality images for download, however I have not retouched the images. If you find a dead link or image misshaped, please email me.

Otakou abt 1835 (246.6k, 1000 x 641 pixel, 8.47 x 5.43 cm.)
The first wooden house in Otago, near Otago Heads, built at Otakou about 1835.
Otakou 1840 (125.9k, 650 x304 pixel, 5.5 x2.57 cm.)
Sketch of Otakou in 1840 during the visit of Dumont D'Urville, commander of the French discovery ships Astrolabe and Zelee.
Customs House abt 1848 (143.9k, 650 x 342 pixel, 5.5 x 2.89 cm.)
The first customs house at Port Chalmers about 1848.
Dunedin 1849 (115.3k, 550 x 344 pixel, 4.66 x 2.92 cm.)
Sketch of Dunedin from Little Paisley. Made by Edward Immyns Abbot in 1849 and lithographed about 1853.
H.M.S.Archeron (64.37k, 450 x 306 pixel, 3.81 x 2.59 cm.)
H.M.S. Archeron, the first steam ship to visit Port Chalmers (1848) was employed in a marine survey of the New Zealand coastline.
Early Dunedin (222.5k, 933 x 540 pixel, 7.9 x 4.57 cm.)
A painting by Charles Kettle, surveyor to the New Zealand Land Company. Original held by Early Settlers Association.
Rattray Street 1861-1863 (196.3k, 1000 x 429 pixel, 8.47 x 5.43 cm.)
Rattray Street and shipping during the Gold Rush (1861 - 1863).
Otago Harbour 1840 (134.1k, 685 x 420 pixel, 5.8 x 3.56 cm.)
Otago Harbour in 1840, by the artist of the Astrolabe.
Waikouaiti 1865 (266.1k, 1400 x 452 pixel, 11.85 x 3.83 cm.)
Port Chalmers 1848 (305.1k. 1000 x 709 pixel, 8.47 x 6 cm.)
Arrival of the Philip Lang at Port Chalmers, 15th April 1848. John Wickliffe at anchor.
Dunedin from View Street in 1861 (131.9k, 644 x 464 pixel, 5.45 x 3.93 cm.)
Maclaggan Street from Bell Hill in 1861 (146.3k, 642 x 504 pixel, 5.44 x 4.27 cm.)
Bell Hill in 1862 (139.3k, 640 x 496 pixel, 5.42 x 4.2 cm.)
Dunedin North from View Street in 1861 (135.3k, 680 x 430 pixel, 5.76 x 3.64 cm.)
Dunedin from Maitland Street in 1860 (149k, 676 x 464 pixel, 5.72 x 3.93 cm.)
Princes Street in 1863 (132.3k, 695 x 470 pixel, 5.66 x 3.84 cm.)
Dunedin from Bell Hill in 1863 (141.3k, 674 x 430 pixel, 5.71 x 3.64 cm.)
Looking south from Bell Hill in 1859 (131.7k, 664 x 465 pixel, 5.62 x 3.94 cm.)
High Street in 1859 (144.5k, 654 x 501 pixel, 5.54 x 4.24 cm.)
Princes Street in 1860 (155.8k, 649 x 465 pixel, 5.49 x 3.94 cm.)
Customs House Square about 1900 (199.9k, 760 x 533 pixel, 6.43 x 4.51 cm.)
Dunedin Octagon in 1862 (169.8k, 705 x 500 pixel, 5.97 x 4.23 cm.)
NB: Saint Paul's Cathedral under construction, corner Stuart Street and Octagon.
Dunedin North in 1869 (157.3k, 664 x 510 pixel, 5.62 x 4.32 cm.)
NB: Saint Paul's Cathedral, corner Stuart Street and Octagon.
Dunedin South in 1869 (141.7k, 660 x 470 pixel, 5.59 x 3.98 cm.)
Dunedin Central in 1869 (141.9k, 645 x 470 pixel, 5.46 x 3.98 cm.)
High Street in 1862 (160.4k, 659 x 460 pixel, 5.58 x 3.89 cm.)
Rattray Street in 1864 (134.1k, 659 x 500 pixel, 5.58 x 4.23 cm.)
Moray Place and Princes Street in 1862 (156.6k, 700 x 491 pixel, 5.93 x 4.16 cm.)
NB: Theatre Royal next to the Criterion Hotel (corner of Moray Place and Princes Street).
The Medical School, Otago University (146.3k, 700 x 442 pixel, 5.93 x 3.74 cm.)
The whaler C. A. Larsen in dock at Port Chalmers (164.2k, 700 x 499 pixel, 5.77 x 3.91 cm.)
In 1928 the dock was extended from 512 feet in length to 530 feet to accomodate the C. A. Larsen for repairs.
Otago Boys High School (135.9k, 700 x 414 pixel, 5.93 x 3.51 cm.)
Founded by the Otago Provincial Council on August 3rd, 1863.
Otago Girls High School (148.4k, 700 x 426 pixel, 5.93 x 3.61 cm.)
Founded by the Otago Provincial Council on February 6th, 1871.
King Edward Technical College, Dunedin (140.2k, 700 x 433 pixel, 5.93 x 3.67 cm.)
Technical classes began in 1857 in the Mechanics Institute. Night classes at the Technical School began in 1889 with day classes starting in 1909. This building was opened in Stuart Street in 1914.
Waitaki Boys High, Oamaru (138.3k, 700 x 395 pixel, 5.93 x 3.34 cm.)
Otago University (173.2k, 700 x 487 pixel, 5.93 x 4.12 cm.)
First Otago University Buildings (96.23k, 600 x 433 pixel, 5.08 x 3.67 cm.)
Otago established the first university in New Zealand. The first buildings later became the Colonial Bank and then the Stock Exchange, Dunedin.
The first Dunedin Savings Bank, Princes Street (94.24k, 400 x 398 pixel, 3.39 x 3.37 cm.)
Dunedin Savings Bank Chambers, Dowling Street (241.9k, 650 x 909 pixel, 5.5 x 7.7 cm.)
New premises after leaving the one in Princes Street.
Dunedin waterfront in the 1930's (140.3k, 1000 x 291 pixel, 8.47 x 2.46 cm.)
Floating dock at Port Chalmers about 1870 (130k, 633 x 406 pixel, 5.36 x 3.44 cm.)
Port Chalmers in late 1930's. (129.8k, 650 x 417 pixel, 5.5 x 3.53 cm.)
Dunedin Wharves in 1917 (107.84k, 650 x 424 pixel, 5.5 x 3.59 cm.)
Port Chalmers about 1873 (155.8k, 650 x 429 pixel, 5.5 x 3.63 cm.)
Tongue Wharf, Dunedin. About 1910 (116.2k, 650 x 446 pixel, 5.5 x 3.78 cm.)
Port Chalmers in 1867 (172.1k,630 x 468 pixel, 5.33 x 3.96 cm.)
Dunedin foreshore (157.7k, 650 x 444 pixel, 5.5 x 3.76 cm.)
Dunedin railway station (136.2k, 650 x 573 pixel, 5.5 x 4.85 cm.)
Foot track to Anderson's Bay in 1854 (127.4k, 671 x 395 pixel, 5.68 x 3.34 cm.)
Lake Logan (98.49k, 613 x 352 pixel, 5.19 x 2.98 cm.)
Was reclaimed by the Otago Harbour Board to become the 1925-26 Exhibition site. It is now known as Logan Park.
Cadbury addition (130k, 642 x 493 pixel, 5.44 x 4.17 cm.)
Cadbury Fry Hudson addition to premises. In 1930 Cadbury and Fry Limited, England, amalgamated with R. Hudson and Co. Ltd to become the largest business of its kind in New Zealand at the time.
Ross and Glendining (160.6k, 650 x 600 pixel, 5.5 x 5.08 cm.)
Opened a drapery business in 1862, in Princes Street near Manse Street. A warehouse was erected in 1866 and following, the establishment of the Roslyn Mills at Kaikorai Valley in 1879.
Roslyn Mills (185.1k, 650 x 565 pixel, 5.5 x 4.78 cm.)
First Post Office, Dunedin (79.23k, 613 x 315 pixel, 5.19 x 2.67 cm.)
Established in 1848 in the store of Mr A. Anderson, the corner of Rattray and Princes Streets.
Otago Daily Times and Witness, Princes Street in 1862 (149.7k, 650 x 475 pixel, 5.5 x 4.02 cm.)
Otago Daily Times, Lower High Street in 1930's (143k, 650 x 489 pixel, 5.5 x 4.14 cm.)
Otago War memorial (126.9k, 331 x 700 pixel, 2.8 x 5.93 cm.)
Head office of Provident Life Assurance Co. 1940 (136.6k, 650 x 475 pixel, 5.5 x 4.02 cm.)
Arthur Ellis (111.3k, 650 x 351 pixel, 5.5 x 2.97 cm.)
Glenross Street business in 1882.
Arthur Ellis and Co. Ltd. (57.65k, 650 x 204 pixel, 5.5 x 1.73 cm.)
Sleepwell and Fairydown factory.
Rugby at Carisbrook in the 1930's (79.86k, 500 x 323 pixel, 4.23 x 2.73 cm.)
Port Chalmers (160.2k, 650 x 556 pixel, 5.5 x 4.71 cm.)
Lower Harbour from Upper Junction.
Dunedin Town Hall (136.6k, 650 x 491 pixel, 5.5 x 4.16 cm.)
Dunedin Botanical Gardens (98.12k, 500 x 389 pixel, 4.23 x 3.3 cm.)
Dunedin Post Office 1930's (83.59k, 400 x 489 pixel, 3.39 x 4.14 cm.)
Dunedin 1930's (386.4k, 1000 x 727 pixel, 8.47 x 6.16 cm.)
Evening Star, Bond Street. 1874 (90.03k, 435 x 417 pixel, 3.68 x 3.53 cm.)
Evening Star, Corner Stuart and Cumberland Streets 1930's (131.7k, 600 x 530 pixel, 5.08 x 4.49 cm.)
Dunedin cable car (72.86k, 320 x 405 pixel, 2.71 x 3.43 cm.)
Milburn Cement (119.7k, 600 x 439 pixel, 5.08 x 3.72 cm.)




Map of the Otago Block (297.2k, 796 x 1532 pixel, 6.74 x 12.97 cm.)
Early Otago settlers were restricted to within approximately seven miles inland on 400,000 acres, known as the Otakou (Otago) Block running from Otago Heads to Tokata Point (Nugget Point, the southeast headland of Molyneux Bay) along the coast.
Dunedin foreshore, reclaimed area map. (125k, 700 x 432 pixel, 5.93 x 3.66 cm.)


1920 Glasgow, No. 178, about 1958 prior to restoration.
Taken at "Westwood" Crookston, West Otago
Owner Murray Rodger, original owner: Charlie Smaill, Moa Flat
From left: Jo Rodger, Brian Rodger, Janette Chittock, Hilton Chittock,
Mavis Rodger with child in arms, probably Judith Rodger, seated Bob Rodger.


At the moment I haven't been able to complete this section. I will be uploading images of Tapanui, West Otago and the people soon.