JACOB MOSER, secretary and treasurer of the South Side
Building & Loan Association, of Lima, and a member of its board of
directors, is one of the city's well-known and respected business men.
Mr. Moser was born in Moutier, Canton Bern, Switzerland, April 13, 1835,
and is a son of David and Anna (Habegger) Moser.
David Moser was also a native of Switzerland, where he married and
carried on business as a hatter. After he came to America, in 1853, he
engaged in farming in Wells County, Indiana, in the vicinity of
Newville. His family consisted of five children, viz: Jacob; Mary wife
of A. Ramseyer, of Lima; Eliza, wife of G. Sourer, of Newville, Indiana;
Mrs. Rosina Anner, of Newville, Indiana; and Fred, who is in the drug
business at Lima.
Jacob Moser, who was the eldest of the family, was educated in
Switzerland and learned the hatter's trade with his father. After
coming to America, he located at Bluffton, this county, and embarked in
the drug business, in which he continued for some eight years, then
locating in Lima, where, in association with J. Myers, he conducted a
well-patronized drug- store for five years. In 1884, after selling his
interest, he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business and as a
member of the firm of Townsend, Moser & Company, was so occupied until
1893. Mr. Moser is known as one of the honest and upright business men
of this city, and has a wide circle of personal, as well as business
friends. He is social by nature, and for many years has been active
both in the Odd Fellow and Masonic fraternities.
In 1888 Mr. Moser became associated with the South Side Building &
Loan Association, and has been its secretary since that year. He is a
man of public spirit and many always be found with those who work for the
best interests of the city.
On March 11, 1861, Mr. Moser was united in marriage with Elizabeth
Neuenschwander, of Wayne County, Ohio, a native of this State. Four
children have been born to them, viz: Emma, who married Dr. F. G.
Stueber, of Lima; Bertha, wife of W. H. Deakin, of Lima; and Calvin and
Albert, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Moser have a very pleasant and
attractive home, which is located at No. 506 West North street.
Albert Moser, A. M., M. D., Mr. and Mrs. Moser's younger son, was a
graduate both of Oberlin College and the medical department of Harvard
University. He served in the Spanish- American War, where he contracted
the illness which terminated in his death, December 8, 1903, at the
Saranac Lake Sanitarium, New York.
JOHN B. AUGSBURGER
JOHN B. AUGSBURGER, one of the substantial farmers
and representative citizens of Richland township, is a large land owner,
residing on his well-improved homestead in section 10, several miles
west of Bluffton, which embraces 80 acres of land; he also owns 135 3/4
acres in sections 3 and 4. He was born in a pioneer log cabin in Union
township, Wayne County, Ohio, January 18, 1835, and is a son of John and
Magdalena (Balmer) Augsburger.
John Augsburger was born in Neuensberg, Switzerland, where he was
educated and lived until he was 35 years of age. At that time he
married and he and his wife departed the following day for America.
They took passage on a sailing vessel, which required three months to
make the voyage, but were safely landed in the port of New York and made
their way to Wayne County, Ohio, where it is probable that other friends
had already settled. They lived for 12 years in Wayne County and then
located in Allen County, where John Augsburger died, aged 65 years. The
mother of our subject was also a native of Switzerland. She died a few
years after coming to Allen County. The family consisted of five sons
and two daughters, namely: Benjamin, who died in infancy; John B., of
Richland township; Moses, of Richland township; Mrs. Elizabeth Amstutz,
deceased; Alidia, widow of Mathias Badercher, of Richland township;
Benjamin (2), of Riley township, Putnam County; and Aaron, of Bluffton.
John B. Augsburger can easily recall the journey from Wayne to Allen
County, which took place in May, 1847, when he was 12 years of age. All
the family possessions were taken along. The great white, covered wagon
was drawn by two yoke of oxen, three cows followed peacefully behind,
and even the family watch- dog was not forgotten. The long journey was
mostly through the woods, and the route frequently led aross streams and
over tracks but poorly broken. When the family arrived at the place
where the father had brought land, they found their only shelter was a
log stable, and they were obliged to occupy this until a log house could
be built, which was fortunately completed before the winter snows set
in. The beloved mother died in the following year, and the father
became so discouraged that he broke up housekeeping, sold the household
effects, and for two years boarded his children with the neighbors. Mr.
Augsburger subsequently recalled the children and once more a family
home was established. Our subjects remained there eights years and then
worked in the neighborhood for a year and eight months. He learned to
make shoes and for four winters before leaving home he busied himself at
his trade, finding patrons in the neighborhood who were pleased with his
work, his industry and his perseverance. When he was 21 years of age,
one of his first purchases was an axe, with which he cleared timber land
for other parties. He also learned the business of shingle making which
at that time was entirely hand work. That Mr. Augsburger became a very
expert workman may be imagined when it is stated that he, with a
companion, made 70,000 shingles form a tree that grew where the Cratz
Church now stands, the body of which was 70 feet high and seven in
diameter. In the following fall he helped to cut timber to build the
largest bank barn in this vicinity, which still stands and is 46 by 109
feet in dimensions.
During the following summer Mr. Augsburger worked until the latter
part of August on this structure and then returned to Wayne County,
where he was married September 3, 1857. He returned to Allen County,
bringing his bride with him, and remained with his brother-in-law, C. U.
Amstutz, until he had completed a comfortable hewed-log cabin on his
present farm and in which the house-warming was held on December 24,
1857. During that winter he made 30 pounds of maple sugar and 60
gallons of maple molasses, and cleared 18 acres of his land. He
continued the improvements of his property for 14 years and then built
his first frame barn; previously he had built a log house, a log barn,
horse stable, corn crib and wagon shed, all serving their purposes until
he was prepared to make more modern improvements. In 1873, two years
after building the barn, he erected his present convenient and
attractive residence, and in 1876 he completed other substantial
buildings on his place. In 1877 a convenient summer kitchen was built,
adding greatly to the comfort of the inmates in hot weather; he
completed his improvements by building, in 1880, a first-class workshop.
Few mechanics have a better equipped shop than Mr. Augsburger, and it
may be remarked, few know better the use of tools.
Mr. Augsburger has been generous in his support of the Swiss
Mennonite Church. He gave an acre of land to the church and assisted in
the constr4uction of the present church as well as the one that preceded
it. The school- house of District No. 2 stands on his homestead tract
of 80 acres, opposite the church.
At one time Mr. Augsburger had the best orchard in the vicinity, but
a severe storm in 1895 partially destroyed it. He has a fine system of
ditching and drainage, and has thus, in a marked degree, increased the
productiveness of his land. He devotes his attention mainly to the
growing of live-stock, and raises large crops of corn, wheat, hay and
clover. He has a fine farm in which he takes a reasonable pride, for he
has worked faithfully in its developing and literally brought it out of
On September 3, 1857, Mr. Augsburger was united in marriage with
Barbara Neuenschwander, who was born in East Union township, Wayne
County, Ohio, March 22, 1834, and died on the present farm of our
subject, July 1900. She was a daughter of Ulrich and Elizabeth
(Basinger) Neuenschwander, who were born in Germany near the
Switzerland line. The children of our subject and wife were:
Elizabeth, who is the wife of Daniel Moser, of Riley township, Putnam
County; Leah, who died in infancy; Daniel, who died aged eight years;
John, who died aged seven years; Sarah, who died in infancy; Mary, the
wife of Peter J. Moser, of Richland township; Lydia, the wife of David
Burkholder, her husband operating Mr. Augsburger's second farm;
Magdalena, the wife of Amos Neiswander, of Richland township; Barbara,
who died aged eight years; Susan, the wife of Amos Thut of Richland
township; and Lavina, the wife of M. S. Burkholder, who manages our
subject's home farm.
Mr. Augsburger has been a stanch and life- long Democrat, but has
never accepted political office. He is a devoted member of the
Mennonite Church and has assisted in the erection of three religious
edifices, and has otherwise liberally contributed to the cause of
religion. A portrait of Mr. Augsburger companies this sketch.
ISAIAH GARRETSON, timekeeper at the Lima Locomotive &
Machine Works and formerly a well-known educator and business man, is
also a survivor of the Civil War, in which he bore an honorable part.
He was born June 7, 1843, in Perry township, Allen County, Ohio, and is
a son of William Garretson. The father was born in Bedford County,
Pennsylvania, in 1812, and came to Allen County in 1836, entering land
from the government in Perry township. This tract at a later period he
traded for a farm in Shawnee township, on which he lived until his death
Isaiah Garretson was reared on his father's farm, and his education
was secured in the district schools in its vicinity. At the outbreak of
the Rebellion, he was eager to enlist, but was induced to remain at home
until he was 20 years of age, when, in 1863, he was mustered into the
service, at Cleveland, as a member of Company G, 12th Reg., Ohio Vol.
Cav. During his years of army service he had his full share of hardship
and during his first battle, at Mount Sterling, Kentucky, was captured
by the enemy. Fortunately for him, conditions in the Confederacy at that
time were such as to preclude the transportation of large bodies of
prisoners to ay of their prison camps, and Mr. Garretson was paroled in
less than a week. His regiment was stationed at Johnson's Island until
the spring of 1864. and was then dispatched to Kentucky, subsequently
making a creditable record in the campaigning through Kentucky,
Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee.
After his return form the army, Mr. Garretson engaged in farming and
teaching until about 1888 from 1869 to 1873 in Missouri. Since 1888 he
has been a continuous resident of Lima, where he engaged for a number of
years in a large real estate business. Since closing out those
interests he has been timekeeper for the Lima Locomotive & Machine
In 1873 Mr. Garretson was united in marriage with Barbara A.
Jenkins, who was born in Ohio and is a daughter of Reuben Jenkins. Her
parents removed to Iowa, when she was a child of two years, and
subsequently settled in Missouri, where she was reared and educated.
Mr. and Mrs. Garretson have four children, viz: Laura, who is the wife
of S. T. Garber, of Greenville, Ohio; Flora, cashier of the Western Ohio
Railway Company; Lena, employed in the office of The Lima Locomotive &
Machine Company; and Ora Earl, a student in the senior class of the Lima
Mr. Garretson and family are members of the First Congregational
Church at Lima, and their attractive home is situated at No. 923 West
High street. Mr. Garretson is a member of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202,
G. A. R., an organization which is held in very high regard in this
city, its membership being composed of men who deserve the grateful
consideration of their fellow-citizens.
FRED SNOOK, superintendent of the packing department
of the Deisel-Wemmer Company, of Lima, is one of the capable and
experienced men which this manufacturing concern has a reputation for
selecting. Mr. Snook was born at Lima, July 3, 1866, and is a son of
Fred and Rosa (Miller) Snook.
The parents of Mr. Snook were both born in Germany. Fred Snook,
Sr., was one of the early residents of this county. For a period of 28
years he was a section foreman for the Pennsylvania Railroad, a man
noted for his fidelity to duty and most highly respected by his
employers. He was struck and killed by an engine on January 19, 1887,
his wife still surviving him and residing in Lima.
The subject of this sketch was reared at Lima and enjoyed the
advantages afforded by the city's excellent public schools. His first
work was as an employee in a brick-yard, for one summer, and then
commenced his connection with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, which
was continued for a period of 11 years. After leaving railroad work, he
entered the packing department of The Desel-Wemmer Company, where his
ability and faithfulness brought him such promotions that he finally
became superintendent of the entire department. This proved a very
important position, carrying with it the supervision of 58 employees and
the proper packing of the firm's enormous output.
In September, 1890, Mr. Snook was married to Annie Wolf, who was
born in Germany. They have three children: Bertha, Carl and Lester.
Mr. Snook is a worthy member of the German Reformed Church.
EDWIN J. YOST
EDWIN J. YOST, second foreman of the great
Deisel-Wemmer cigar factory, at Lima, has been a resident of this city
for a period of 15 years. He was born in Germany in 1873, and is a son
of Philip Yost, whose entire life was spent in Germany.
At the age of 18 years Edwin J. Yost emigrated to America and
located at Lima, where he was soon employed at the bench by The
Deisel-Wemmer Company. As this corporation has a well-deserved
reputation for rewarding faithfulness and ability among its employees,
Mr. Yost gradually advanced until be became foreman over the
cigar-makers in one of the largest cigar factories in the world. C. C.
Hosselman is general superintendent, and Mr. Yost, his able assistant.
On August 3, 1895, Mr. Yost was united in marriage with Magdalena
Decker, who was born in Germany and is a daughter of the late William
Decker, who was also a native of the Fatherland. Mr. and Mrs. Yost have
two children, Florence and Ruth. Both Mr. and Mrs. Yost are members of
St. Rose Catholic Church, Lima.
LEWIS KREILING, of the firm of Kreiling & Bedford,
proprietors of the Riverside Mills of Lima, was born in 1839 in Wayne
County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and acquired an education. His
father was the late Henry Kreiling, for many years a wagon-maker of
Marshallville, Wayne County.
Mr. Kreiling learned the trade of a plasterer and for many years
followed that calling, abandoning it, after 30 years, to engage in
farming and dairying in German township, Allen County. He engaged in
these occupations for six years, then moved to Lima on the day which saw
Benjamin Harrison elected to the presidency. He soon entered the
Riverside Mills, and in 1901 formed his present partnership with Mr.
Bedford. Messrs, Kreiling , Bedford and others also have four oil-wells
in active operation within the city limits of Lima.
Mr. Kreiling was married June 9, 1863, to Mary E. Berkhart, by whom
he has three children, namely: Alice, wife of F. M. Mullenhour; Maud,
wife of Benjamin Dennis; and Edward, a resident of Findlay, Ohio. Both
daughters reside in Lima, where their husbands are engaged in business.
Mr. Kreiling was formerly a Republican, but in more recent years has
cast an independent vote. He is an active member of the Epworth
Methodist Episcopal Church, and has held the office of treasurer ever
since the present edifice was erected. He is also a member of the board
CHARLES ADGATE HOVER
CHARLES ADGATE HOVER, one of the prominent farmers and
representative citizens of Shawnee township, resides on his valuable
farm in section 14, which adjoins that of his father. Mr. Hover was
born in the Shawnee Council House, on the home place, November 22, 1861,
and is a son of David Ezekiel Hover and a member of one of the oldest
settled families of the county.
Mr. Hover has been a resident of Shawnee township all his life and
since his school days has been actively engaged in agricultural
pursuits. He owns 67 acres in section 14, which farm he operates
himself, also assisting in the operation of the homestead.
On February 29,1888, Charles A. Hover, was married to Jennie McCoy, a
daughter of Alexander H. and Margaret A. McCoy, of whom extended mention
will be found elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Hover have two
children, viz: Myra Ethel, born August 30, 1892; and Harry Howard, born
May 20, 1895.
Mr. and Mrs. Hover commenced house keeping in an old log cabin which
stood on the farm at that time, but in 1891 their present comfortable
residence was built. All of the substantial improvements, to be seen
here on every side, are the result of Mr. Hover's own industry with the
exception of the orchard, which was set out by his father many years
ago. In the patent to his farm of 67 acres, Mr. Hover possesses a very
valuable and interesting document. It was given first to Griffith
Breeze, passed then into the Hover family, and bears the signature of
Andrew Jackson, President of the United States in 1835.
Like his father, Mr. Hover is identified with the Republican party.
He has taken little interest in politics, but his active participation
in educational matters is evidenced by his present membership on the
School Board. In religious faith he is a Methodist..