CHARLES W. JOHNSTON
CHARLES W. JOHNSTON, ex- mayor of Harrod, and at
present a member of the Board of County Commissioners of Allen County,
was born March 18, 1857, in Fairfield County, Ohio, and is a son of
Samuel and Mary (Kelsey) Johnston. The Johnston family originally came
from Scotland, while our subject's paternal grandmother was of German
descent. His grandparents were among the pioneers of Fairfield County,
which was the birthplace of his father and mother. In 1859 his parents
moved from near Bremen, Fairfield County, to the farm of 80 acres in
section 11, Auglaize township, Allen County, which the father had bought
in the fall of 1858. They continued to live there until the spring of
1872, when they moved to Hardin County, having bought a tract of land
near Kenton on which was located a sand and gravel bank, whose product
was furnished the town of Kenton in addition to the crops of the farm.
Both father and mother resided on this farm during their remaining days,
the father dying February 19, 1892, and the mother, July 19, 1894. They
were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Kenton. Samuel
Johnston enlisted in Company D, 180th Reg. Ohio Vol. Inf., at Lima, on
September 22, 1864, and served until the close of the war. He was a
strong Republican, and an ardent friend and admirer of U. S. Senator J.
B. Foraker. Mrs. Johnston was a voluminous reader and brilliant
conversationalist. Four children survived them, namely: Hattie A.,
whose husband, Professor Hufford, occupies a chair in the Ohio Northern
University at Ada; Charles W.; Newton D., a prosperous farmer of Hardin
County; and Edward C., who at present is in the hospital at Toledo,
suffering from a severe attack of typhoid fever.
Coming to this county with his parents, at the age of two years,
Charles W. Johnston may be claimed as a lifelong resident. When 15
years of age he accompanied his parents to Hardin County, and at the 17
began teaching school. He continued in that profession until 1880,
teaching in the winter, and attending the Ohio Normal University at Ada,
during the spring and fall terms. He pursued a full course in
mathematics, which included surveying and civil engineering, and when he
had almost completed the classical course became the agent of a
school-book publishing house, continuing on the road for several years.
On January 1, 1888, Mr. Johnston moved to Harrod and the following
fall resumed his old calling as a teacher, serving as superintendent of
the Harrod Schools for two of three years. He then accepted a position
as traveling salesman with Seiberling, Miller & Company, manufacturers
of harvesting machinery, and later represented The Deering Harvester
Company, as an expert. Later he became general agent for Aultman,
Miller & Company, having charge of their branch office at Fostoria,
Ohio. He retired from the road in 1903.
Mr. Johnston has been a resident of Harrod about 18 years and fully
15 years of that time has seen him closely identified with municipal
government, either as councilman or mayor. Three times he has been
elected to the mayoralty, form which he resigned before the expiration
of his last term of account of his frequent enforced absences form the
city. In 1890 he was elected justice of the peace, serving six years.
So faithful and fearless has he been in discharging the trust confided
to him that he was elected county commissioner in the fall of 1904,
succeeding Albert Hefner, whom he defeated. This contest was a close
one, as both men were exceptionally popular and each had a strong
backing, resulting in the polling of one of the largest votes ever cast
in the county-- in fact, exceeding the number cast for Roosevelt and
Parker at the same time, the Republicans winning the day. Mr. Johnston
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, for the past two years
serving as venerable consul of Harrod Camp.
Mr. Johnston was married October 10 , 1886, to Clara Groff, who is
a naive of Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, and a daughter of Isaac
Groff. They have two children Pansy, born August 29, 1887, and Lily,
Born March 8, 1890.
JOHN W. SCHNABEL
JOHN W. SCHNABEL, cabinet maker, who has been
connected with the coach department of the C., H. & D. Railway Company,
at Lima, since 1899, was born in this city in 1861, and is a son of John
The late John Schnabel was an old resident of Lima, coming to this
city from Germany in 1854. He worked in a foundry for some time and
then became an employee of King & Day, pork packers, with whom he
remained for a long period. He married Magdalena Beck, who was also a
native of Germany, and the two sons born to them were: Henry, who for
12 years was in charge of the shoe-making department in the Institute
for the Feeble Minded at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and who died in December,
1905; and J. W., the subject of this sketch.
J. W. Schnabel was reared at Lima and attended school in the old West
School Building. He first worked in a furniture factory, where he
remained for 17 years. Then he accepted a lucrative position in the
coach department of the C., H. & D. Railway shops assuming his duties in
April, 1899, where, as a valued employee, he has remained for the past
seven years. Mr. Schnabel owns his pleasant home at No. 314 West Wayne
street, and is a substantial citizen.
In 1882 Mr. Schnabel was married to Maggie Walther, who is a
daughter of George J. Walther, and they have three children, viz: Philip
W., who is time-keeper at the Solar Refinery; Lena, a graduate of the
Lima High School, who is in her second year as a teacher of the Spring
Street School, Lima; and John Leonard, who is a member of the graduating
class of 1906, at the Lima High School. The family belongs to the
German Reformed Church, and Mr. Schnabel has been a member of the board
of elders. He is one of the prominent Odd Fellows of this part of the
State, and is past chief patriarch of the Encampment, and on several
occasions has attended the Grand lodge of the United States. Mrs.
Schnabel belongs to the auxiliary body, the Rebekahs.
THEODORE A. HANDEL
THEODORE A. HANDEL, a pioneer of Marion township, was
born in Granville, Ohio, May 1, 1834, and died May 28, 1904, having just
passed his 70th birthday. He was a son of Nicholas and Myla (Hays)
John Handel, the paternal grandfather, was the founder of the family
in America. For generations the family occupation had been milling, and
as a young man in his native land John Handel was employed as a
traveling grain buyer. While on one of his purchasing trips, he was
accompanied by four assistants and the entire party were seized by the
military authorities, being impressed into the service of King George
lll, of England, who was then engaged in his struggle with the American
On the arrival of the vessel at Boston harbor, John Handel and his
companions evaded the vigilance of their captors escped to an American
vessel by swimming, and enlisted with the patriot forces. Grandfather
Handel proved a valiant defender of American liberty and fought
throughout the Revolutionary War. After the close of the struggle, he
settled in Baltimore and engaged in milling. He married there and then
moved to a point on the Shenandoah River, Virginia, about 20 miles above
Harper's Ferry. There his first child, Nicholas Handel, was born, and
the only other record is of the birth of a daughter, Elizabeth. John
Handel probably died in the locality mentioned aged about 80 years. It
is a family belief that the great musical composer Handel, was of the
same original stock as John Handel.
Nicholas Handel, father of our subject, adopted the family calling,
and in early days he also dealt n grain and other products all along the
Potomac River, as far as Alexandria. He enlisted as a soldier in the
War of 1812, when a youth of 18 years. The date of his coming to Ohio
has not been recorded, but is is known that for 40 years he was chief
miller in the Fassett mills, on Raccoon Creek, near Granville, Licking
County, where he was a grain contractor and a large shipper of flour.
Nicholas Handel married Myla Hays, who was a daughter of Alanson and
Rhoda (Slater) Hays, both of English descent, but natives of New York.
The Hays family consisted of seven children, the mother of our subject
being the fifth in order of birth. Her father came to Allen County in
1848. The latter part of the life of Nicholas Handel was spent at the
home of his son, Theodore A., but just prior to his death he returned to
Granville, Ohio, and there passed away at the age of 86 years. For a
long period he was a worthy member of the Baptist Church.
Theodore A. Handel attended the common schools at Granville, Ohio,
until he was 10 years old, when he came to Allen County. From the age
of 14 until he was 21, he worked on the farm of his uncle, Ormond
Kephart, in section 4, Amanda township. At the age of 23 he married and
settled on a farm of 40 acres in that township, which property proved
the nucleus of the property that afterward was increased to 200 acres.
He continued to farm until 1861, when he loyally offered his services to
his country. At the close of the war he resumed agricultural pursuits
in Allen County, continuing to reside on his farm until the time of his
death and to increase its value through many substantial improvements.
When Mr. and Mrs. Handel settled on the present farm it was
almost a wilderness, very little of the land having then been cleared,
and their first home was a small, windowless log cabin. Mr. Handel used
his original capital of $500 to such good advantage that at the close of
his life he was one of the most substantial men of his township. During
his early days he dug ditches, chopped wood, split rails, and was always
one of the foremost not only to improve the roads, but to promote
education and religion.
On August 8, 1861, Mr. Handel enlisted for three years in Company I,
34th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and served until he was honorably discharged
at Columbus, Ohio, in September, 1864. He took part in 35 regular
engagements and many skirmishes, chiefly in Virginia and West Virginia,
a partial enumeration being: Chapmansville Gap, Fayetteville, Louisburg,
Trenton, Fayetteville (2), Charleston, RedHouse, Mud Bridge, Cloyd
Mountain, Greenbrier, James River, Lynchburg, Stauntin, Paw Paw Station,
Stone Spring House, the Shenandoah Valley campaign, including
Winchester; Martinsville, the two battles of Fredericksburg, Monocacy
Junction, Charlestown and Cedar Creek, the closing battle being a
fiercely contested engagement in the vicinity of Winchester. Mr. Handel
was wounded in his first battle while humanely supporting an injured
comrade. The shot was in his ankle, and he was the second unfortunate in
the company. In spite of his painful wound, he refused to leave the
battle-field and did not even enter a hospital. He was promoted to the
rank of corporal, for more that two years performed the duties of a
deputy sergeant, and at all times was a reliable, loyal and courageous
On April 5, 1857, Mr. Handel was married to Angelina Harris who was
born October 13, 1836, at Lockland, Hamilton County, Ohio. She is a
daughter of Calvin Harris, who was born at Olean, New York, a son of
Samuel Harris, of English descent. Calvin learned the trade of a
wagon-maker, his father being a boat-builder. His parents settled in
Hamilton County, Ohio, when he was six years old. At the age of 24 he
married Edith Dunn, a Daughter of Beracha and Mary (German) Dunn. In
1847 Mr. Harris sold his shop at Lockland and bought and operated a boat
on the Miami and Erie Canal, subsequently trading the latter for 120
acres of partly cleared land in section 20, Amanda township, this
county. His son now resides on the place. Mr. Harris was township
trustee, township clerk and filled other public offices. He was a
deacon in the Baptist Church and for many years a trustee. The four
survivors of his nine children are: Mary Angelina, widow of our
subject; Roscoe B., wife of David Ditto, of Marion township; and
Clarence Blake, residing on the Harris Homestead. The mother of these
children died December 9, 1881, aged 68 years, 9 months and 16 days.
The father died on the farm on January 28, 1892, aged 81 years, 8 months
and 28 days.
Mr. and Mrs. Handel had no children of their own. They reared and
educated four other children, and one of these, Ernest Handel, has
proven a son indeed to those who took pit on his helpless infancy.
During the long sickness which preceded the death of Mr. Handel this
adopted son's filial devotion was so genuine that no child of the blood
could have been kinder or more helpful and loving. He was deeded 45
acres of land, lying opposite the old homestead. He married Lydia
Heisler, who died in April, 1905. They had these children: Myrtle
Angelina and Burtin Alfred (Twins); Gladys Gail, Bessie Nelore, and
John. Myrtle Angelina, one of the twins, born in 1884, is the wife of
E. Humphreys and resides with Mrs. Handel, who adopted her when she was
four weeks old.
Mrs. Handel lives just north of her father's old home, the farms
adjoining. She has 120 acres in section 17, Marion township, and rents
the farm to her adopted grandson. Her residence is beautifully situated
in a grove. The property will finally revert to Mrs. Humphreys.
Mr. Handel was baptized in the Marion Baptist Church, on November 17,
1867, having been converted in the preceding October by Rev. D. D.
Spencer, assisted by Father Bryant. At the time of his death he was the
oldest member of this church, a position now filled by his venerable
wife. He was deacon and trustee for several years. Mrs. Handel comes
of a long line of Baptists. She was converted in the winter of 1854,
was baptized by Elder Freyer and first united with the Amanda Baptist
Church. Although for the past seven years Mrs. Handel has been an
invalid from rheumatism, she always found time to devote to religious
and charitable work.
For a number of years Mr. and Mrs. Handel were members of the Patrons
of Husbandry, and he served as overseer and lecturer of his grange. He
also was a member of Reul Post, No. 95, G. A. R. of Delphos. Portraits
of Mr. and Mrs. Handel accompany this sketch.
GEORGE M. McCULLOUGH
GEORGE M. McCULLOUGH, proprietor of McCullough Lake
and Park, finest summer resort in the vicinity of Lima, belongs to one
of the old families of the county. He was born at Lima, October 9,
1856, and is a son of Hon. M. H. and Sarah J. (McKibben) McCullough.
Hon. M. H. McCullough, who died at Lima in 1901, was born in
Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1818. In 1835 he migrated to Ohio
and settled at Lima, where he became a man of wealth and influence, an
extensive farmer and a leading dealer in real estate. He was prominent
in public life, served in the Ohio Legislature, and staunchly supported
the Democratic party. For a number of years he was an elder in the
First Presbyterian Church. He married Sarah J. McKibben, a daughter of
John McKibben, a pioneer of 1835, who located on the farm which is now
the site of McCullough Lake and Park. In 1893, the Senior McCullough
presented this property to our subject and his one bother, J. C.
McCullough, of Texas, who is connected with the Texas Oil Company. In
1898 George M. McCullough purchased his brother's interest and has been
sole proprietor of the beautiful resort.
McCullough Lake and Park cover 44 acres, 26 acres of which is water,
e lake furnishing the water used by the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton
Railway Company at Lima. In 1903, after having already made many
improvements on the property, Mr. McCullough erected a fine auditorium,
with a seating capacity for 2,000 people, the resort being equipped with
bath houses, pleasure boats and every modern convenience demanded by
visitors. In winter the lake affords fine skating and in summer,
excellent fishing, its waters abounding in black bass. The new
auditorium has been fitted with a stage, 30 by 40 feet in size, and
entertainments of an interesting character are frequently presented.
During the season it is largely patronized by those who thus find, near
at home, better accommodations and attractions than can be obtained at a
George W. McCullough was educated in the schools of Lima and the
Iron City Commercial College of Pittsburg, from which he was graduated
in 1882. He then entered into a mercantile business on East Market
street, Lima, which he conducted until 1898. Since then his attention
has mainly been given to his present enterprise.
In 1886 Mr. McCullough was married to Ella E. Kelly, who is a
daughter of H. B. Kelly, editor of the Allen County Democrat. Mr.
McCullough has been active in civic life, and at one time served as a
member of the City Council.
JOSEPH WOOLEY, a substantial business man of Lima, and
an extensive dealer of walnut lumber, was born in Miami County, Ohio,
October 12, 1845. His father was W. L. Wooley, who, during the
childhood of our subject, moved to Shelby County, this State, and there
was engaged in farming until his death.
Joseph Wooley was reared and received his education in Shelby County
and was a farmer there until he was about 32 years of age, when he
embarked in the sawmill business. This he continued until 1885, when he
located in Van Wert, Ohio, and opened a mill for the manufacture of
sporting goods. While thus engaged he was led to realize the difficulty
experienced in obtaining the raw material, and in 1901 came to Lima to
establish a sawmill for the purpose of better supplying this demand. He
thus handles walnut lumber and sporting goods exclusively, and sells to
manufacturers of golf clubs, ball bats, tennis racquets, etc. He has
been supplying stock for the manufacture of the "League" bats to A. G.
Spalding & Brothers, of Chicago, who have recently placed an order with
him for 30 carloads of timber to be used in this line. Mr. Wooey's
stock now sells so readily that he not only disposes of the output of
his own mill, but the product of four other establishments as well.
Mr. Wooley was married, in 1876, to Laura E. Monroe, who is a native
of Shelby County. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a man whose
energy and enterprise have placed him among the leading business men of
JAMES ALEXANDER, an influential citizen of Allentown,
this county, was born December 31, 1842, in German township, Allen
County, Ohio, about one mile from his present home. He is a son of Adam
and Elizabeth (Howsel) Alexander and a grandson of James Alexander, who
came here form Pennsylvania about 1838.
James Alexander, subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood in
German township, where he enlisted in the 118th Regiment, Ohio Vol.
Inf., and served during the Civil War. He was a farmer and upon
returning home resumed his old-time occupation. He owns a fine farm in
section 32, German township and the home residence in Allentown.
Among the near neighbors of the Alexanders was the family of John
and Nancy (Dougherty) Cremean, who had also located in the county at an
early day. The children of the two families played together, attended
the same school and grew up together, and, on December 24, 1865, a
still stronger bond was formed in the union of James Alexander and Lydia
Cremean. Six children were born to them, namely: William, born October
7, 1866, who married Annie Coon, resides in Lima, and was the father of
one child, who died in infancy; Elizabeth, born March 20, 1868, who
married Richard Smith and is the mother of six children Terry Plmer,
Violet Chloe, Lela, Belbe, James Berlin and one who died in infancy;
Elizabeth, who resided in Van Wert County, where she died May 30, 1905;
Charles, born January 7,1870, who married May Snyder, of Albany,
Indiana, and has one child, Beatrice he resides in Bloomdale, Wood
County, Ohio, where he is engaged in the ministerial work of the United
Brethren Church; Oras Albertus, born March 12, 1874, who died January
26, 1881; Emma, born April 12, 1876, who married John Bowersox and is
the mother of two children Irene and James Cecil; and Harley, born April
12, 1884, who married Jesse Long and is the father of one child, James
Wayne. Mr. Alexander is a member of the United Brethren Church of
Allentown, and a man of integrity and sterling worth.
W. T. AGERTER
W. T. AGERTER, secretary and treasurer of The Lima
Locomotive & Machine Company, whose works are among the largest
industrial plants of this city, was born in Wyandot County, Ohio,
October 16, 1859, and is a son of John Agerter, formerly a well-known
civil engineer who now lives retired at Upper Sandusky.
Mr. Agerter was reared and educated at Upper Sandusky, and later
completed a commercial course at the Poughkeepsie (New York) Business
college, after which he entered the employ of F. B. Hedges & Company, at
Pittsburg, as bookkeeper. On January 1, 1881, he assumed a sinilar
position with The Lima Machine Works. In 1884, on the death of his
uncle, Frederick Agerter, he became secretary and treasurer of the Lima
Machine Works, and continued in the same capacity after the
reorganization of the business and forming of The Lima Locomotive &
Machine Company. He is also interested in the "Glen Oak Stock Farm,"
situated 10 miles west of Lima on the Auglaize River. He owns much
valuable live stock, all of high grade and much of it registered.
Mr. Agerter married Carlotta Disman, a daughter of George Disman,
one of the proprietors of the Lima Machine Works, who died in 1900. Mr.
and Mrs. Agerter have two children Rose E. and W. T., Jr., both of whom
are attending school at Lima.
For eight years Mr. Agerter was a member of the Lima Board of
Education and is one of the most useful members of the Lima Progressive
Politically Mr. Agerter is a Democrat. He is a member of the
Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he is a Knight of Pythias, an
organization which, in Lima, numbers the majority of the business men.
Socially, Mr. Agerter belongs to the Lima Club and the Shawnee Country
EMORY H. DORSEY
EMORY H. DORSEY, one of Lima's hustlers, was born in
Carroll County, Maryland, in the year 1868, being a son of A. C. Dorsey,
who was a painter by trade. In the year 1871, when three years of age,
he came with his parents to Lima, which city has since been his home.
He began his active business career in 1889 at the age of 18 as a
clerk in the grocery of Watson & Company. Later he opened a store
himself, engaging in the flour and feed business with a very limited
capital, which business he conducted with very good success. In the
year 1900 he added a complete line of staple groceries, since which time
he has prospered beyond his expectations. He is regarded as one of the
leading business men of Lima.
In 1899 Mr. Dorsey erected the Dorsey Block, a beautiful two-story
structure at Nos, 206-208 South Main Street, in which the lower floor is
divided into two fine business rooms, while the upper floor is arranged
in two elegant flats. This building he recently sold and then purchased
the Judge Collett property at No. 218 South Main street, and is at the
present time preparing to erect a three-story structure upon the lot
with ground dimensions of 52 by 100 feet. The lower floor is to be
divided into two business rooms, while the second and third floors are
to be fitted up into up-to-date flats. He also owns other very valuable
real estate in Lima, among which is a very modern and comfortable home
at No. 742 West Spring Street, in which the family reside.
In 1888 Mr. Dorsey was married to Ella Anspach and to them have been
born three children: Two sons Earl C. and Karl J., aged 16 and 11 years
respectively and one daughter Gail, aged nine years. All the children
are attending school. Mr. Dorsey belongs to that class of citizens
whose push and energy have so materially assisted in the development of
the city, and in bringing about it present prosperity.