WILLIAM R. COON

WILLIAM R. COON, whose valuable farm of 180 acres is
situated in section 34, in most desirable part of Amanda township,
belongs to one of the old families of pioneer settlers in this part of
Ohio.  Mr. Coon was born January 27, 1843, and is a son of George J. and
Juliet (Decoursey) Coon.
    George S. Coon, the grandfather of our subject, was born in
Pennsylvania in 1783, and died in Allen County in 1873.  He married
Christiana Moore, of Kentucky.  They moved into Ohio at a very early day
and settled first at Bellefontaine, in 1832 they moved to Shawnee
township, Allen County, and located in section 4, on Hog Creek, securing
the land from the government.  The country was still wild and
practically unsettled, Indians still roaming over the country in search
of game.  George J., the father of our subject, being the third in order
of birth.  These worthy pioneers lived into old age, the grandfather
attaining 90 years.  They were buried in Shawnee township.
    George J. Coon was born in 1820 and his wife in 1825.  In their
deaths they were not long separated, both passing away in 1885.  They
reared a large family, those who reached maturity being:   William R.;
Mrs. Margaret Jane Jones, of Kansas; D. F., of California; Caroline O.,
a widow; and Rachel A., Charles A., Joshua S. and Mrs. Calista Cowdry,
who reside in Kansas, all being married except Joshua S.
    William R. Coon was eight years old when his parents moved from
Shawnee to Amanda township.  At that time trading was done at Piqua.  As
far as school opportunities were afforded, Mr. Coon had very little
chance, and since the age of 12 years he has depended upon his own
resources.  He worked with the tools and agricultural machinery of his
day and locality, the old-time axe, cradle, and hoe, and in young
manhood was able to split rails and chop cord-wood as effectively as any
of his companions.  In February, 1864, at the age of 21 years, he
enlisted in the 74th Regiment, Ohio Vol. Inf., in the Army of the
Tennessee, and served until the close of the war, being honorably
discharged at Louisville, Kentucky.  He served with Sherman, through the
Carolinas to the sea, and was at the Grand Review at Washington.  He
then returned home and farmed his father's land for two years.
    In 1867 Mr. Coon settled on a tract of land, right in the woods, in
Amanda township, on which his son William resides, just south of his own
comfortable farm residence.  This land has all been cleared through his
own industry, and he has assisted in every possible way in developing
the resources of Amanda township.  Great changes have been brought about
since he first settled here.  He has served two terms as township
trustee, has been a justice of the peace for three terms, has been
school director and is one of the reliable and substantial men of his
locality, whose word and opinion bear weight. 
   Mr. Coon was married first to Jane Place, a daughter of James Place,
who at the age of 90 years resides in Oklahoma Territory.  She died in
1884.  Her children were: William, who married Effa Hutchinson; Lenora,
wife of Solomon Moorman, whose daughter Grace married Ira Hillyard and
has two children; Susan, who married Julius Fetter and has one child;
Jane, who married Charles Hover and has one child; Elmer, who married
Dora Sawmiller and has two children; Belva, wife of Richard Ward; and
Alma, who  married John Lowry, of Spencerville, and has one child.  Mr.
Coon was married, second, to Lucinda Brandyberry.  In religious belief
Mr. Coon is a Christian Scientist, a zealous follower of Mrs. Eddy.  

FRANK COLUCCI

FRANK COLUCCI, one of Lima's well-known business men,
who has been prominently identified with railroad construction for a
number of years, was born July 3, 1863, in Italy, a country which has
contributed many useful and successful citizens to the United States.
     Mr. Colucci was educated in his own land and was a youth of 19
years when, in 1882, he set foot on American soil.  The 24 years which
have intervened have been busy ones for Mr. Colucci, and he has
demonstrated that a man's nationality has little to do with is ultimate
success.  From New York he entered the employ of the Baltimore & Ohio
Railroad Company and continued with that corporation for three years,
going then to Green County, Wisconsin with Drake & Stratton, railroad
contractors.  After two years with them he was connected with the
Illinois Central for a year, and in the fall of 1888 located in Chicago,
where he was engaged in construction work until the summer of 1889- the
time of his coming to Lima.  Here he became foreman for the construction
of the Columbus, Lima & Milwaukee Railway (now the Columbus, & Lake
Michigan), in the employ of the late Benjamin C. Faurot, and then
secured a large construction contract on the road between Findlay and
Kenton.  Here he employed about  60 men and concluded the contract in
January, 1890.
    Mr. Colucci then returned to Lima and for the first time since
coming to America made what seemed a bad bargain.  One of his countrymen
was in the fruit business here, having stores opposite the Court House
and on East Market street, and to him Mr. Colucci loaned the sum of
$200.  His compatriot did not succeed in his ventures and in order to
secure his hard-earned money Mr. Colucci was obliged to take over the
fruit business on East market street.  He placed his brother in charge
of the enterprise, as his abilities lay in an entirely different
direction.  On March 22, 1890, he was engaged by the Chicago & Atlantic
Railroad to furnish laborers for construction; in the fall of the same
year the Chicago & Erie assumed control of the C. & A. road, and he has
been with the Erie ever since as a contractor of labor.  He has also
taken grading contracts and has had business relations with the Standard
Oil Company and the Pennsylvania lines.  He is so reliable that large
corporations know that a contract well be carried out to the letter, if
he takes charge of it.
    On June 22, 1904, Mr. Colucci was married to Rosina Fusco, also of
Italian birth.  Mr. Colucci has invested largely in Lima real estate,
belongs to the Lima Progressive Association and is one of the
representative business of the city, whose industry, honesty and ability
have earned him an enviable standing.  His portrait accompanies this
sketch. 

SCOTT  NEELY

SCOTT  NEELY, of Allentown, is one of the best known
residents of German township.  He was born August 3, 1861, in German
township, Allen County, Ohio, and is still a resident of the township,
his home farm containing 10 acres in section 24, while he is also the
owner of a farm of 120 acres in section 23, besides property in the
village of Allentown.  Mr. Neely's parents were James and Mary Catherine
(Barrick) Neely, both of whom were pioneers of Allen County.  His
grandfather, Thomas Neely, was born in Hanover, Germany, and was a boy
in years when his parents became residents of Allen County.  Scott
Neely's maternal grandparents were William and Mary Barrick, of German
township.
    James Neely, our subject's father, was a volunteer in the Civil War,
being in the service four years and eight months.  He reared a family of
seven children, all of whom are living, namely; Frank, William, Charles,
Scott, Alice, wife of W. F, Rathell; Margaret, wife of Frank Kruse; and
Ida May, who was first married to Col. E. Hains and after his death to
J. L. Fantz.
    Scott Neely is a man of resources, having been engaged in the number
of enterprises in Allen County, and it would be difficult to say in
which he has met with most success.  He has bought and sold horses; he
has been engaged in crying sales and is one of the best auctioneers in
this vicinity; for more than 20 years he was engaged in hauling straw
for the American Straw Board Company, of Lima, and when the plant of
that company was destroyed by fire, it was Mr. Neely who was selected
out of a crowd of 70 men to act as foreman at a good salary to oversee
the laborers in their work of tearing down the ruins.  Since then he has
bought a hay-baler and buys up hay and straw which he bales and ships to
all parts of the country.  He also sells wood, which is cut and hauled
from his own land.  His farm is known as the old T. T. Mitchell farm.
While Mr. Neely operates the farm, he has leased the oil privileges to
Thomas Mitchell, of Lima.
    Mr. Neely was first married December 31, 1883, to Sarah Bruner,
daughter of Martin and Sarah Bruner,  of Auglaize County.  She died
October 30, 1886, leaving two children, Clem, who was born August 17,
1884, and lives at home; and Neva Etta, born September 16, 1887, who
married A. T. Whyman in June, 1903, lives in Wapakoneta, Ohio, and has
two children Opal Beatrice and Ola May.  On January 5. 1897, Mr. Neely
was married to Lydia Cary, daughter of Henry and Rebecca Cary.  Her
father was born in Hanover, Germany, and came to America when six years
old locating in Allen County, Ohio.  The children of the second marriage
were as follows: Cary May, born September 4, 1897; Cecil Marie, born
February 27, 1899; Lester Lloyd, born February 27, 1901; Russell Earl,
born April 20, 1903; and Oliver, born April 17, 1905.  Mr. Neely is a
Democrat.  At present he is serving on the School Board.  He is a
trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Allentown and is treasurer
of the Epworth League and of the Sunday-school.  He was formerly
president of the Epworth League and has been an efficient teacher in the
Sunday-school for the past 10 years.  Fraternally he is a member of
Solar Lodge, No. 783,  I. O. O. F., of Lima.
 
FRANK A. EATON

FRANK A. EATON, one of the prominent and honorable
citizens of Bluffton, who served as mayor from 1903 to 1905, and who for
years has been engaged in a successful real estate, loan and insurance
business, was born near Bucyrus, Crawford County, Ohio, April 30,1857,
and is a son of James H. and Mary Ann (McWilliams) Eaton.
    The late James H. Eaton was a farmer and large land-owner in Allen
County for a number of years, coming here from Crawford County in 1866.
He bought a farm of 350 acres, a great part of which is now included
within the corporate limits of Bluffton.  He died here in 1894, at the
advanced age of 84 years.  He was prominent both in Crawford and Allen
counties, being the first judge of probate elected in the former county,
and the first one in the State after the office was created.  He served
one term as mayor of Bluffton, and throughout life was an honorable,
public-spirited citizen.  In politics he was a Democrat.  He married Mary
Ann McWillliams and their family consisted of four sons and two
daughters, Frank A. being the third member in order of birth.
    Frank A. Eaton was nine years old when his parents came to Bluffton.
He was educated in the public schools and at the Ohio Normal University
at Ada, spending two years at the latter school.  After a few years of
farming he went into the mercantile business, in which his ability and
honorable methods brought him success, and through which he became
widely acquainted.  In 1897 he embarked in his present line, that of
insurance real estate and investments.  The other lines of his business
are carried on with the same energy which has characterized his whole
business career.
    Mr. Eaton has always been a good Democrat and has been more of less
a party leader in this locality for some years.  He has served several
terms as township clerk of Richland township, and in 1903, was elected
mayor of Bluffton for a term of two years, by a substantial majority.
    In 1879 Mr. Eaton was untied in marriage with Nellie Bartlett, who
was born in Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Ransom and Sophia
Bartlett.  They have one son, Ross, who is in business at Independence,
Kansas.
    Mr. Eaton is a popular member of a number of the fraternal
organizations of the country, including among these the Knights of
Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America.

C. H. CORY

C. H. CORY, president of the Superior Brick Company,
has been a resident of Lima for almost a quarter of a century.  He was
born in Morris County, New Jersey, December 26, 1839, and is a son of
James Cory, formerly well known in railroad circles.
    Until 16 years old, our subject lived on the home farm in Morris
County.  The family then moved to Paterson and the youth entered upon an
apprenticeship in the Cook Locomotive Works, which covered four years,
nine months and 17 days.  As a machinist he then became connected with
the old Camden & Amboy Railroad, now the Pennsylvania, but one year
later came West in search of fortune, and entered the Illinois Central
Railroad shops at Centralia, Illinois.  He worked for three months as a
machinist and then was foreman there for four and a half years.  For six
and a half years more he held the same position in the shops at Cairo,
still later being advanced to the position of division master mechanic
for the Illinois Central Railroad at Champaign, Illinois.  Mr. Cory
continued to advance, being rapidly promoted from one important position
to another.  He became general master mechanic at Carmi, for the Cairo &
Vincennes Railroad, serving two years, and going from there to
Marshalltown, Iowa, as master mechanic for the Iowa, as master mechanic
for the Iowa Central for two years; thence to Portsmouth, Ohio, as
master mechanic for the Scioto Valley Railroad; thence, two years later,
to Fostoria, as superintendent of construction for the "Nickel Plate";
18 months later he went to Saratoga, New York, as superintendent of the
Boston, Hoosac Tunnel & Western, for four years; and then came to Lima
as superintendent of the motor power of the C. H. & D. Railway.  After
serving in this capacity for 19 years, he gave up railroad work.
    Since February, 1905, Mr. Cory has given his attention to his many
personal business interests, many of these being of a very important
nature.  He is president of the Superior Brick Company, is a director in
the National Roofing Home Savings Association, is a director of the
Metropolitan Bank and is one of the trustees of the Lima Hospital.
   Mr. Cory was married in the spring of 1870 to Mary L. Young, who is a
daughter of Rufus Young, formerly a prominent railroad man.  They have
five children, viz:  Charles H., an electrician at Dayton; Louis H.,
with the Pacific Coast Pipe Line Company, at Mendota, California;
Frederick R., a machinist at Lima; Carrie M., wife of M. C. Purtscher,
bookkeeper in the Metropolitan Bank; and James, a chemist, in charge of
the acid department of one of the large refineries here. 
    For years Mr. Cory has been one of the trustees of the Market Street
Presbyterian Church.  He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Cairo,
Illinois.  He is identified with the Republican party; but his many
private interests have precluded great activity in public affairs.  Like
man other successful men, Mr. Cory has risen step by step, by
persevering industry, close attention to he duty in hand, and by the
exercise of those kindly instincts which have brought him many friends.

E. M. GOODING

E. M. GOODING, the leading shoe merchant at Lima,
where he has been established since 1881, was born in 1858 at Delaware,
Ohio, and is a son of the late Mathew Gooding, formerly a farmer at
Delaware, where he died in 1902.
   E. M. Gooding was reared in his native place and attended school
until 17 years of age.  He then became a partner in a mercantile
enterprise, conducted under the firm name of Beathridge & Gooding, and
located at Lewis Center, a small town south of Delaware.  The business
was continued there for five years, following which Mr. Gooding came to
Lima, on November 16, 1881, and established himself in the shoe business
at NO. 230 North Main street, where he has continued until the present
time.  He has a fine business location, carries a complete line of goods
and enjoys the largest patronage in the city.  He has additional
business interest and is a representative of the commercial men of Lima.
   On September 8, 1886, Mr. Gooding was married to Anna De Grief, who
is a daughter of Jacob De Grief, a prominent politician of Tuscarawas
County.  They have two sons, Fred E. and Joseph D., the former of whom
is a student at Hamilton College.  The family belong to the Presbyterian
Church.
    Mr. Gooding is a 32nd degree Mason and Belongs to the Commandery,
Chapter and Council at Lima and to the Consistory at Cincinnati.  He
belongs also to the Elks and the Knights of Pythias.  He is a member of
the Shawnee Country Club and the Lima Progressive Association.

E. M. HALE

E. M. HALE, a successful business man and leading
jeweler of Lima, was born May 4, 1835, in Wilmington, Clinton County,
Ohio, his father being William Hale, one of the best known citizens of
that county.  William Hale built the Court House in Clinton and was a
prominent man during his lifetime.
   E. M. Hale remained in his native county until 1858, when he entered
a jeweler's shop to learn the trade, and in November of that year went
to Lebanon, Ohio, to engage in the business for himself.  He was a
member of the firm of Baker & Hale for 10 years, when Mr. Baker retired
and his place was taken by a Mr. West, the new firm being known as Hale
& West.  They added a line of books to their stock of jewelry and built
up a brisk business, conducting it together about 10 years, when Mr.
West purchased the entire business.  Mr. Hale then opened another store
where he handled jewelry and musical instruments about three years,
until October 3, 1881, when he came to Lima and located his present
enterprise on the Public Square.  During the quarter of a century in
which he has been established in Lima, he has built up a reputation for
reliability and integrity that it would be difficult to equal, and his
business has flourished to a remarkable degree.  He has been ably
assisted in his business by J. W. Puetz, who has been confidential clerk
and manager for more that 24 years.
    Mr. Hale was married in 1872 to Mrs. France Van Note, widow of
Willliam Van Note, formerly Frances A. Pauley. They have one child,
Helen M, wife of E. B. Edmonds, a prominent merchant of Bluffton,
Indiana, to whom Mr. Hale has given the business established by him at a
previous date.  Mr. Hale is a member of the Knights of Pythias (Uniform
Rank), Independent Order of Odd Fellows (both subordinate lodge and
encampment) and the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council of Free and Accepted
Masons.

JAMES L. HEATH

JAMES L. HEATH, postmaster at Herring (village of
LaFayette), is engaged in the grain and fuel business.  He is a native
of this county, having been born in LaFayette, March 14, 1858.  His
parents were Samuel G. and Mary D. (Hadsell) Heath, who came from
Massachusetts at an early day and settled in Ashtabula, Ohio, later
removing to Allen County.  The parents of Mrs. Heath came to this county
in 1832, and she lived in Lima when the present Public Square was
covered with dense timber and there were less than a dozen houses in the
town.  She was the mother of 10 children, nine of whom she reared to
maturity and saw happily married.  Four of the sons  and one daughter
are residents of this county and in comfortable circumstances.
    Mr. Heath had but meager opportunities for obtaining an education,
being unable to attend school after his 12th years; but he was given a
thorough business training, which has enabled him to become a practical
man of affair and to make his way in the commercial world.  When he was
12 years of age, he became a clerk in a general store and later entered
the employ of Owen & Treat as clerk in their dry goods store at Lima.
He remained in their employ three years.  When he was 20 years old he
returned to LaFayette and engaged in the grain business with N. R. Park
at his present stand.  The business flourished and 14 years later he
became sole proprietor, handling grain, seed, coal, wool, flour and
feed.  Later he became a partner of C. A. Graham  and put in a stock of
general merchandise, which has proved to be a good investment. 
    Mr. Heath was married February 9, 1881, to Sarah E. Knoble, who was
born at Mount Eaton, Ohio, April  12, 1858, and is a daughter of Samuel
and Jane E. (Chiddester) Knoble.  Her father was a native of
Switzerland, coming to this country when a boy.  There are five children
in the Heath family, viz: Olive B., wife of A. M. Barber, who is in the
employ of his father-in-law; Avery C., who died at the age of eight
years; and Ralph L., Paul Marvin and James Richard, aged respectively,
16, 11, and 4 years.
    Mr. Heath is a Republican and has been elected township treasurer in
a township that is strongly Democratic.  He enjoyed the distinction
which has never been accorded another of holding every treasurership in
the township at one time, viz: treasurer of the township; of the
township school funds; of the special school district; of the village
corporation and of Sager Lodge, No. 513,  F. & A. M.   He was appointed
postmaster of Herring (village of LaFayette), August 2, 1898, and has
been retained in office since.  He has served on the auditing committee,
appointed by the porbate judge, to examine the accounts of the county
treasurer.  He is a member of the Christian Church and has ordered all
the supplies for the Sunday- school for the past 10 years.  He assisted
in building the new church and was one of three on the pastoral
committee.  He is a member of Sager Lodge, No. 513, F. & A. M. ; Order
of the Eastern Star; I. O. O. F.  and Rebekahs.