WILLIAM W. YOAKAM
WILLIAM W. YOAKAM, one of the leading agriculturists
of Bath township, has been a resident of the township for almost 60
years, and has a fine farm of 120 acres, located in sections 22 and 23.
He was born May 31, 1821, in Virginia (now West Virginia), near Beverly,
the county seat of Randolph County. He is a son of Jacob Yoakam and
grandson of Michael Yoakam. The grandfather was among the early
settlers of Randolph County, Virginia, and also of Ohio, as he located
in Mount Vernon, Ohio, during his later years.
Jacob Yoakam was born in Randolph County, February 28, 1790, and
spent his entire life there, with the exception of one year spent with
his father in Knox County, Ohio. He was in the War of 1812, at which
time he was stationed at Norfolk, Virginia. He was a planter of
prominence, his plantation consisting of some 300 acres of valuable
land. He married Jane Wamsley, who was born in the same county on July
25, 1790, and died at the age of 44 years, while Jacob Yoakam reached
the extreme age of 98 years and 6 months. They reared a large family of
children viz: John, who was born February 18, 1812 and died at the age
of 93 years; Mary born August 13, 1813, who was also past 93 years of
age when she died; Jonathan, born December 14, 1814, a resident of
Homer, Ohio; Sarah, born July 29, 1816, who died at the age of 24; Jane,
born April 24, 1818, who is a resident of Randolph County, West
Virginia; William W., our subject; Eliza, born February 28, 1823, who
resides in Randolph County, West Virginia; Matthew, born August 23,
1825, who is a wealthy retired citizen of Homer, Ohio, having an
extensive acreage of some of the choicest land in Licking County, Ohio
he formerly shipped hogs to New York on a large scale and was the first
man in Allen County to ship hogs by railroad; Washington born June 26,
1827; Eliza, born August 19, 1829, who is now deceased; Jacob, born
January 20, 1832, who resides near Beverly, West Virginia; and Rebecca,
who died in infancy. The longevity of the Yoakam family is remarkable.
Of 12 children, four brothers and two sisters are still living, their
ages ranging from 73 to 91 years, while as noted above, of those who
died, one lived to be 93 and another to be more that 93 years of age.
William W. Yoakam remained on the farm with his parents until he was
22 years of age, when he removed to Licking County, Ohio, and rented a
farm near Utica. Six years later he moved to a farm near Columbus
Center, and in 1848 came to Allen County and bought his present farm of
120 acres in Bath township. A log cabin of one room had been built, but
no attempt had been made to clear the timber which covered the tract.
The deed which Mr. Yoakam holds this property is the oldest document of
its kind in the township. He has the land all under cultivation and
splendidly improved with good buildings.
Mr. Yoakam was married in 1847 to Nancy C. Channell, a native of
Randolph County, Virginia. They had one child, Norton, who died about
six years ago at Sidney, OHio, where he had been in the railroad service
for 14 years. Mr. Yoakam was a member of the Ohio National Guard just
before the Civil War. His wife died just as his company and regiment
was ready to start for Washington to guard that city, but he was able to
secure a substitute and to remain at home. On September 8, 1864, he was
married to Rebecca A. (Ann) Chenoweth, who was born April 23, 1843, and
is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Vanthorn (( this should read
Hanthorn, both Elizabeth and John are buried at Tony's Nose Cemetery in
Allen County, Ohio. I have more information on Hanthorn in the Bio for
Thomas S. Hanthorn located on the same web site)) Chenoweth. The
fruits of this union were three children, namely Allie, born October 27,
1865, who is the wife of William French, who has charge of Mr. Yoakam's
farm; Nancy E., born August 1, 1868, who is the wife of Theron Hadsell,
of Bath township; and Mina L., born December 27, 1872, who is the wife
of William Faze, of Perry township. Mr. Yoakam's grandchildren are
Charles and Bonnie Yoakam, Ell and Virgil Hadsell and Dorothy and Evon
Faze. He was formerly a Democrat and voted for James K. Polk. Later he
voted for John C. Fremont and Abraham Lincoln, and has ever since been
an ardent Republican. He served as justice of the peace for six years
and has held a number of minor offices. He is a member of the Christian
Church, but was formerly affiliated with the Methodists during pioneer
days until the society to which he belonged disbanded. He is hale and
hearty, a splendid type of American manhood and might easily pass for a
much younger man.
HARRY A. ALBRECHT
HARRY A. ALBRECHT, proprietor of one of the largest
clothing establishments of Lima, was born in Delaware, Ohio, and is a
son of A. F. Albrecht, deceased. In 1865, when our subject was a child
of four years, the family moved to Spencerville and there he was
educated. At the age of 19 he secured a position as clerk in a clothing
store in Lima and about a year later accepted a more desirable place
with a similar establishment in Mansfield, where he remained there 10
years. He then turned his attention to other lines of industry, going
to Chicago where for six and a half years he was associated with his
brother, F. J. Albrecht, since deceased, in the publishing business.
For one and a half years he was manager of the clothing department of a
store in Youngstown, Ohio. On March 1, 1899, he moved to Lima and
engaged in his present business, putting in a complete line of gent's
furnishing goods and keeping a thoroughly first- class store. For the
first five years of firm was Albrecht Brothers; but in 1904 our subject
purchased the entire business and has since conducted it alone as H. A.
Albrecht, " The American Clothier."
In April, 1885, Mr. Albrecht was married to Margaret B. Ackerman,
daughter of G. P. Ackerman, formerly a leading business man of
Mansfield, Ohio. Their family consists of five sons and a daughter.
Raymond R., the eldest, was educated in the Lima High School and
following this took a two years' course in the military school at Miami.
He is now employed as timekeeper for the gas line company of Delaware,
Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Albrecht are members of Trinity Methodist Episcopal
Church, of which he has been steward during his residence in Lima. He
is active in Masonic circles and is also a member of the Odd Fellows and
WILLIAM T. PIERSON
WILLIAM T. PIERSON resides in section 7, German
township, where he owns a fine farm of 106 acres half a mile northwest
of Elida. This is one of the best improved and most highly cultivated
properties in Allen County, and shows the result of modern and
progressive ideas when applied to farming Mr. Pierson was born February
1. 1851, in Fairfield County, Ohio, and is a son of Joseph and Hannah
(DeLong) Pierson. His father was born November 18, 1826, and his mother
July 1, 1825. They were married in Fairfield County, December 1, 1847.
In 1854 they came to Allen County and for about five years lived in the
village of Elida. They they moved to Fort Amanda, Auglaize County,
where the mother died May 15, 1886, and the father, March 4, 1900. They
were the parents of seven children: William T.; J. E., a resident of
German township; Jane (Baber), deceased; Margaret (Zerkle); Hannah
Sophia (Umbaugh), deceased; Rosetta (Baber) and Cora Belle (Anderson).
William R. Pierson was educated in Auglaize County and remained with
his parents until his marriage in 1874, when he moved to a farm one mile
south of where he now lives. He has always been engaged in farming, and
lived on his first farm for 18 years. On Thanksgiving Day 1893, he
moved to the farm upon which he now lives and nine years later, in 1902,
built the handsome, 11-room frame house that is so much of an ornament
to the property. He also erected barns, etc., and has placed the land
under the most thorough cultivation.
Mr. Pierson was married October 22, 1874, to Ellen M. Riley, and
their union has been blessed by the birth of one son and one daughter,
namely: Eva A., born May 25, 1875; and Ira E., born December 5, 1881.
Both are living at home. Mrs. Pierson was born May 2, 1855, in Bath
township, and was living near Spencerville at the time of her marriage.
She is a daughter of Joseph and Amanda (Berrihill) Riley, both of whom
were natives of this county, the former having been born March 16, 1833,
and the lattr, October 1, 1833. The father, while living in Keokuk
County, Iowa, enlisted for service in the Civil War in which he met
death January 2, 1863. The mother resides in Amanda township. Her
children were as follows: George A., born September 15, 1857, who died
September 22, 1858; Leile Evangeline, born May 30, 1860, who died
October 10, 1860; Joseph H., born May 28, 1863, who is a resident of
California; and Ellen M. (Mrs. Pierson). When Mrs. Pierson was one year
old, her parents moved to Iowa where they resided seven years, the
family returning to Ohio on a visit at the time of the father's
enlistment and remaining here because of the death of Mr. Riley. Her
grandfather was Rev. George Riley, who was born in Burlington County,
New Jersey, August 27, 1792, and died in Sugar Creek township, Allen
County, Ohio, in 1883. He was a missionary, assisting Rev. J. B.
Findlay in his work among the Upper Sandusky Indians of the Wyandot
tribe. Mr. Pierson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of
Elida and is one of the Trustees.
JOHN MAY, one of the well- known business citizens of
Beaver Dam, who has been engaged in a livery business here for some 25
years, was born at Monroeville, Huron County, Ohio, February 1, 1852,
and is a son of Thomas D. and Elizabeth (Plowright) May.
The parents of Mr. May were born, reared and married in England.
They came to America in 1850, settling at Monroeville, Ohio. The father
died at Beaver Dam and the mother in Michigan, many years ago. The
children were: Thomas, of Bluffton, Ohio; John, of this sketch; Annie
(Young), of Beaver Dam; and Elizabeth (Stiner), of Akron, Ohio.
John May was four years old when his parents moved to Eaton County,
Michigan. In the following year his mother died, and in 1860 the family
returned to Huron county, Ohio. Our subject was reared to farm work and
assisted his father for several years on the Ohio farm, and then went to
Wood County, Ohio, and lived with an uncle for two years. He learned
the carpenter's trade and secured work in Lorain County, in the
construction of the Lake Shore Railroad, as section foreman at Beaver
Dam, and he remained with the road for a year and a half after the road
Mr. May was interested in both a grocery and livery business for many
years at Beaver Dam, but subsequently sold his grocery after 20 years of
business, retaining his livery, which he still operates. He has
well-equipped barns and keeps 10 horses.
Mr. May was married September 11, 1874, to Cynthia Westover, a native
of this county, who is a daughter of Jonathan Westover. They have one
child, Ida, who is the wife of F. D. Bowers, of Beaver Dam.
Mr. May is identified with the Republican party and he has been
called upon, on numerous occasions, to accept offices of considerable
responsibility, having served as councilman and as village and school
treasurer. He is a member of the Disciples' Church.
COL. B. M. MOULTON
COL. B. M. MOULTON, past department commander of the
Grand Army of the Republic of Ohio, has been one of Lima's most
distinguished and esteemed residents for almost 20 years. Colonel
Moulton comes of a long line of ancestors, many of whom have been
prominent in various walks and avocations of life and not a few, like
himself, have gained honor and reputation military circles. He was
born at Moultonville, Madison County, Illinois, July 3, 1845, and is a
son of Orris G. and Nancy (Miller) Moulton.
The Moultons are descended for Sir Thomas Moulton, who went ot
England with William the Conqueror and fought by his side in the battle
of Hastings, in 1066. He was probably a Norman nobleman. He founded
the town of Moulton in England and was given large estates and the title
Five generations of Sir Thomas Moultons resided in the town thus
established. In those days orthography was something of a fine art and
the name became variously changed by the common people and for various
reasons, probably on account of recurrences of the same baptismal name,
by members of the family. Thus on some old records the name is found
spelled Multon and Molton, but the old orthography has always been
maintained by our subject's branch of the family.
In the "Domesday Book", that great survey of England made by order
of William the Conqueror, in 1086, Thomas Moulton is mentioned as a
land-owner, having been put in possession of an estate called
"Galeshore," a property seized form the Gales by King William. Perhaps
this is why the later Moulton is called "Lord of Gillesland."
Thomas de Moulton was a favorite of King Richard (Coeur de Leon) in
1190. He is call "Lord of Gillesland" in Cumberland and by the Normans,
"Lord de Vaux." Sir Walter Scott introduces him in the romance "The
Talisman," as such. He is probably the same Thomas de Multon who, as
one of the barons, signed the Magna Charta in 1215. A Thomas de Multon
was also a signer of the great charter of Edward in 1297 and this Thomas
was probably a grandson of the preceding. They were Lords of Egremont
in Cumberland and probably became posessed of their lands on the
Scottish border as rewards for their services in the wars against the
Scots. (From the Heraldic Office of Great Britain and other reliable
sources). Moulton Hall is a place in Wulburton, now in ruins, once the
property of Sir Thomas.
Dudgall in his account of Sturbic Says: 'Acre was an old hospital
for the poor people, dedicated to St. Leonard, which being given with
the Manor A. D. 1230 to the Knight Hospitalers by Sir Thomas Moulton,
Knight & c." Next, following a page of interesting extracts from
records portraying the distinction of these ancient "Moulton, " are
numerous quotations showing that all branches of the Moulton family had
arms with devices somewhat different from each other in minor details,
yet alike in the main, viz: A plain field either of silver or blue
crossed by three horizontal bars, generally red, sometimes sable. This
continued for several hundred years down to the arms which were granted
in 1571; by the record these are described as follows:
Moulton: Argent three bars (jules) between eight escallop shells,
sable; three, two, two and one crest on a pellet, a falchion rising
argent, granted in 1571. This is an accurate description of the arms
brought over by Thomas Moulton in 1635, excepting the color bars and
shells and the grant might have been to his grandfather as it was made
only 64 years before the emigrant brought over the copy that is still
extant. Tradition asserts this to be the fact and that the escalloped
shells were added to the very ancient arms of silver of red field and
three bars, for victories won by Admiral Moulton of more recent times.
In 1635 Thomas and John Moulton, brothers, came to Newbury,
Massachusetts, from Norfolk County, England. Later they settled at
Hampton, New Hampshire and in 1637 they were joined by a third brother,
William, who came from Ormsby, Norfolk County.
Ebenezer Moulton was the first of our subject's branch of the
Moulton family America, as far as known. It has been said that he was
formerly a clergyman, also that he was in the service of the English
government and came from England to Nova Scotia about the year 1725, a
wealthy member of the English nobility. Afterward he came to New England
and died in South Brimfield, Massachusetts, in 1783, leaving one son,
Stephen Moulton, son of Ebenezer and great-grandfather of our
subject, was born in 1734, was graduated at one of the New England
colleges, inherited his father's wealth and was an accomplished
gentleman of his time. During the American Revolution he equipped a
regiment at his own expense and contributed very largely from his
fortune in aid of the Revolutionary cause. He participated in military
affairs as lieutenant colonel in the 22nd Regiment of militia from
Stafford, Connecticut. His two sons, Howard and Stephen, where taken
prisoners on Long Island and were confined in the old sugar house prison
at Richmond, Virginia. Just 87 years later history repeated itself when
our subject, also a prisoner of war, was sent to one of the old dungeons
in the same city. After the close of the Revolutionary War, Colonel
Moulton went to Ohio and later settled at Floyd, Oneida County, New
York, where he died in 1819. He married a daughter of Lieut. Josiah
Converse, Ellenor Converse, a cousin of Governor Julius Converse, of
Vermont. Their children were: Howard, Stephen, Benjamin, Joseph,
Solomon, Ebenezer and Josiah.
Howard Moulton, son of Stephen (1), was a prominent merchant of
Troy, New York and an able and distinguished man. One of his daughters
married Gen. John E. Wool and another became the mother of John A.
Griswold, who once was a Republican candidate for Governor of New York.
Stephen Moulton (2), son of Stephen (1) was a farmer residing at
Floyd, New York; two of his sons were named Jesse and Asa. Jesse by his
first marriage had three sons and one daughter, Lewis, Charles, Henry
and Julia. Julia became Mrs. Bell, of Syracuse, New York. By a second
marriage, Jesse had a daughter, Elizabeth.
Benjamin Moulton, son of Stephen (1), lived at Floyd, New York, where
he married and had four sons and two daughters, viz: James T., Arthur,
Josiah, John, Maria and Eleanor. Of the children of Benjamin the record
is as follows:
James R. Moulton, son of Benjamin, was at one time one of the
leading merchants of New York City. One of his sons, Arthur, married a
Miss Sagor, of Utica and they had one daughter. A son, Albert, died
unmarried. A daughter, Sarah, married Thomas W. Timpson and they had
one son and three daughters- Thomas W., Addie, Florence and Sarah.
Another daughter of James T. Moulton, Letitia, married James Alexander
Striker, of New York. Jennie, another daughter, married Philip B. Low,
of New York and their children were two daughters - Letty and Jennie.
Gary, son of James T., resides in New York and his children two sons and
a daughter- are: Gary W., Raymond and Marion, the eldest son having one
Arthur Moulton, second son of Benjamin, married and reared a family
some place in the far West.
Josiah, son of Benjamin, was born at Floyd, New York and settled in
the West, marrying a sister of Judge Powers Green. They had three sons
Powers, Rodman and Josiah and one daughter. Powers is a prominent man
John Moulton, son of Benjamin, reared a family in the West.
Maria Moulton, daughter of Benjamin, married Hezekiah McIntosh and
they had two daughters and three sons; the latter being Andrew, Ichabod
and Charles. Andrew and Ichabod married and practiced law a Utica, New
York. One of the daughters became the wife of Josiah K. Brown, of
Stittville, New York, dairy commissioner of that State.
Eleanor Moulton, daughter of Benjamin, married a Mr. Roberts, of
Buffalo, New York, and they had three daughters Sarah and Maria,
deceased, and Miriam.
Joseph Moulton, son of Stephen (1), lived and died at Troy, New
Solomon Moulton, son of Stephen (1), lived and died at Floyd, New
York. His sons were: Stephen, Henry, Joshua, John, Benjamin, Roary and
Wesley and his daughter was Susan, who married Oziah Wilcox. The
children of this union were Jermain and Jefferson. The latter married
and left two daughters Susan and Sophia, the former of whom married John
Brinkerhoof, a prominent lawyer of Kansas.
Stephen Moulton (3), son of Solomon left no issue; he died at Rome,
New York, and was interred at Floyd.
Henry Moulton, son of Solomon, married Lucretia Moulton and lived
and died at Floyd. His children being Caroline who married Franklin
French, of Western New York; and Thomas, who was a prominent merchant of
Nashville, Tennessee. He was a polished gentleman. Of Thomas Moulton's
two sons, Frank resided at Nashville; he also had three daughters.
Joshua Moulton, son of Solomon, lived and died at Floyd, New York.
His children were: Severn, William, George, Lewis, Eliza, Catherine,
Mary, Susan and Margot. His son, Severn Moulton was a prominent man in
New York City. He left one son and one daughter, the former of whom,
Frank Moulton, became well known to the public as the "mutual friend" in
the great Beecher-Tilton trial-- his children reside in New York.
John Moulton, son of Solomon, lived in New York and left two
Benjamin Moulton, son of Solomon, died at Floyd, New York, leaving
one son and two daughters. The son died in California without issue and
one daughter Sarah is deceased. The other daughter Susan resides in the
Roary Moulton, son of Solomon, died at Floyd, New York, leaving one
son, Horace C., who resides in Berlin, Wisconsin; and one daughter,
Julia, who married Charles Riggs, of Turin, New York.
Wesley Moulton, son of Solomon, died unmarried.
Ebenezer Moulton, son of Stephen (1), was born at Stafford,
Connecticut, where he married. Afterward he removed to Floyd, New York,
where he died about 1855. He married first Mary Lillebridge, daughter
of Rev. David Lillebridge, of Stafford, who was a son of Benjamin and
Amy (Sherman) Lillebridge, the latter of whom was a sister of Roger
Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The
children of this first marriage were: Linus, David, Lucretia and Mary.
He married (second) Eliza Gardner and their children were: Eliza, Maria
and Orris G.
Linus Moulton, son of Ebenezer, resided at Floyd, New York, married
Olive Frazier, of Western, New York and they had one son and five
daughters: Jermain, who died without issue; Mary, Imogene, Harriet,
Louise and Anna. Mary Married Asa Clark, of Floyd, New York, and left
one daughter named Imogene, who married Charles H. Sampson, of Chicago,.
Harriet married Jesse Armstong, of Rome, New York. Louise married
William D. Thorne and their two sons Jermain and William B. live in
Chicago; Jermain married Frances Dart, of Lansing, Michigan, and their
two children are named Frances Louise and Dart. Anna Moulton died
David Moulton, son of Ebenezer, was born in Stafford, Connecticut.
When David was a boy, his father moved to Floyd, Oneida County, New
York, where David resided until his death, which occurred May 7, 1886.
He was buried where he had spent the greater part of his life. Like the
most of the Moultons of his time and race, he was a fine looking, large,
well- proportioned man and in his youth he had great physical strength
and all his life his mental endowments were of very superior order. He
was a colonel in the State militia. In politics David Moulton was a
stanch Democrat and for nearly 50 years was one of the leaders of his
party, generally a delegate to all its important conventions and on one
occasion was its candidate for Congress from the Oneida district. David
Moulton married Prudence M. Sizer, who was a daughter of Eli Sizer, a
grandson of a French emigrant, D. Souzour. They had these children:
Julia, Mariam, Sarah and Eliza. Julia married Nehemiah Slooper and
their children were : Cesarine, Prudence and David M. Of this family,
Cesarine married Hon, Eaton J. Richardson, a prominent lawyer of Utica,
New York and at one time a State Senator, and they had one son Everett
Slooper. Prudence married William A. Davies at one time a prominent
merchant at Floyd, New York, and they had one son William Everett.
David M. also married and he had three children: Walter, William and
Mary. Mariam married Henry M. Kellogg and they had three children:
David M., Frederick H. and Converse. The first two are practicing law
in New York City. Sarah married Edwin C. Kellogg and their three living
daughters are: Ella, Clara and Louise. Ella married P. Fitzsomons, a
merchant of New York City and they have two sons- Edwin Kellogg and
Leon James. Louise married Sinclair Myers, a prominent real estate
broker of New York City. Clara is unmarried. Eliza married William
Pratt and their childen are: Harriet, Miriam and Milton. Lucretia,
daughter of Ebenezer Moulton, married Henry Moulton.
Mary Moulton, daughter of Ebenezer, married Merritt Brooks, of Rome,
New York and they had two sons Stephen and Sperry; and four daughters
Elizabeth, Helen, Josephine and Mary Ann. Stephen left two sons,
Elizabeth married Lester B. Miller, of New York City. Helen married
John Sumner and their children were John and Edward, the latter of whom
is a lawyer in Minneapolis. Josephine married Josiah Fogg, of St.
Louis. Mary Ann died unmarried.
Eliza Moulton, daughter of Ebenezer, is the widow of Hosea Clark;
her two daughters, Hattie and Emma, are both deceased. The former
married Joseph Favil, of Brooklyn, New York.
Maria Moulton, daughter of Ebenezer, died without issue.
Orris B. Moulton, son of Ebenezer, was born at Floyd, Oneida County,
New York, June 23, 1816. He married Nancy Miller, daughter of Benjamin
Miller, of Trenton, New York, and soon after they moved to Madison
County, Illinois, where Orris had purchased a large tract of land. The
town of Moultonsville, in that county, is named in his honor, as he was
its founder. Orris G. and Nancy (Miller) Moulton, had two sons,
Benjamin and Orris G., the former of whom is the subject of the present
record. The father of our subject died of cholera at St. Louis,
Missouri, July 11, 1851, aged 35 years; his widow disposed of her
property in Illinois and returned to Steuben, Oneida County, New York,
where she died in March, 1873. Orris G. Moulton was born in
Moultonsville, Illinois, July 23, 1851 and married Belle Ross, daughter
of Aaron Ross, of Hornellsville, Steuben County, New York. They have
one daughter, Frances, and reside at Syracuse, New York. Mr. Moulton is
the general agent for New York of the Massachusetts Benefit Life
Association of Boston, Massachusetts.
Before leaving the ancestral history in order to give attention to
that of Colonel Moulton himself, a few more interesting records may be
Josiah Moulton, son of Stephen (1), had two children, Charles and
Harriet. The former settled in New York as a merchant and dealer in
cotton and in this line he accumulated an immense fortune. He was a
personal friend of Louis Napoleon and was his host during the visit of
that nobleman of America. After Napoleon became Emperor of France,
Charles Moulton and family moved to Paris and resided in that city of at
their magnificent country seat in the environs. Charles died in 1886
survived by five children: Ray, Charles, Henry, Clara and Helen. Both
Ray and Charles are married, the latter's wife being an accomplished
lady from Boston they had two sons who reside in that city. Henry, son
of Charles, is unmarried. Clara married a member of the firm of Brown
Brothers & Company, bankers of New York, and she, with one child, was
lost when the steamer "Arctic" was burned at sea. Helen, youngest
daughter of Charles, married Count Paul Hatzfeldt, German Ambassador in
Harriet, daughter of Josiah Moulton, noted before, married Judge
Powers Green, of Indiana, and their daughter Harriet became a Mrs.
Hills, of Waukegan, Illinois, and their children are: Harriet, Rebecca,
Grace and Frank.
After the death of his father and the return of his widowed mother
to Oneida County, New York, our subject attended the public schools
until he was 16 years old and then entered the Whitestown Seminary and
devoted himself to his studies until he enlisted for service in the
Civil War. On August 4, 1862, he joined Company E, 117th Reg., New York
Vol. Inf., in which he served through three long years, during which
time his personal bravery caused his promotion very rapidly. On
September 29, 1864, he was wounded at the battle of Chapin's Farm and
was taken prisoner and transported to the same old city which had been
the scene of the incarceration of his kindred some 87 years before.
From Richmond he was subsequently sent to Annapolis where he was kept at
the distribution camp until he could be paroled. Colonel Moulton
participated in the battles at Petersburg (barely escaping with his life
at the time of the mine explosion), Cold Harbor, Drury's Bluff and
Chapin's Farm and in innumerable smaller engagements.
After his return from the army, he resumed his studies at the
Whitestown Seminary for one year and then entered Eastman's Business
College, where he was graduated late in 1866. For two years he was a
clerk in a wholesale mercantile business at Dolpha, New York and then
embarked in business for himself at Conesus, New York. He remained here
for eight years but sold out in 1876 and went to Pennsylvania in the
employ of J. D. Wolf, connected with the Oil Well Supply Company and
remained with him until March, 1877, when Mr. Wolf sold his interests to
Eaton, Cole & Burnham, and Colonel Moulton became manager of the new
company and continued until the organization of the Oil Well Supply
Company. He accepted the position of manager of the business of this
company of the district at Duke's Center in Northern Pennsylvania.
By 1881 Colonel Moulton's efficiency as a man of business was so
recognized that he was transferred to the important district at Bolivar,
New York, and in 1886, to Lima, Ohio. Here he has in charge the
management of the Oil Well Supply Company of the Ohio and Indiana oil
fields, in which the company is interested.
Colonel Moulton married Maritta Kuder, who is a daughter of John
Kuder, of Groveland, Livingston County, New York. Their one son H. S.
Moulton, is a lumber dealer at Lima and was a member of Governor Myron
T. Herrick's staff.
In politics Colonel Moulton has always been an uncompromising
Republican and he has been more of less prominent in the party for many
years. During the administration of Governor Nash, he was a member of
the executive's staff and hence acquired his present title. In 1904 he
was elected department commander of the Grand Army of the Republic of
Ohio and faithfully and satisfactorily attended to the duties of the
office. Under the administration of Governor Herrick he served as a
member of the board of trustees of the Soldiers' and Sailors and
Orphans' Home, at Xenia, Ohio. A portrait of Colonel Moulton
accompanies this sketch.