Hon. Robert Mehaffey

 Hon. Robert Mehaffey, who has been identified with the
financial interest and public affairs of Allen County for many years,
and has been a leader in educational and temperance work, was born
August 23, 1833, in County Tyrone, Ireland, and is a son of James and
Martha (Clark) Mehaffey, who spent their entire lives in Ireland, where
James Mehaffey was a farmer.  The parental family consisted of five sons
and one daughter.  Two of the sons James and Robert, came to the United
States.
    Robert Mehaffey was reared on his father's farm until he was 13
years of age.  Then the death of the mother broke up the family to some
extent, and Robert left home and went up to London with a friend.  In
1849 he took the step which, in great measure, settled his future
career.  Taking passage at Liverpool on the sailing vessel,  " Albert
Gallatin," he was landed at Philadelphia in December of that year.  He
had an uncle who was a farmer at Beaver Dam, Allen County, Ohio, and
after many experiences by land and water and pauses at Wheeling,
Cincinnati, and other points, he reached Lima, in February, 1850, and
joined his uncle shortly afterward.  he worked for his uncle and another
farmer until April, 1852, when he located in the village of LaFayette,
which has since continued to be his home.
    Accepting a position in a store with an idea of only remaining long
enough to earn sufficient capital to take him still further West, Mr.
Mehaffey remained with that employer for seven years; but at one time
during this period he actually started for California, going as far as
Council Bluffs, Iowa; he turned back on account of the threatening
activity of the Indians at that time.  He bought a tract of 28 acres of
land, but after farming for a short time decided to enter into  the
mercantile business for himself, as the town offered at that time an
excellent field.  He therefore purchased a stock of general merchandise
to the value of $520, and started in, doing all the work incident to the
new venture, and for the 11 succeeding years he sold goods over his own
counters, giving full weight and running over, and making a friend of
every customer.
    For a number of years Mr. Mehaffey had taken an active interest in
politics before he accepted any office.  His first elective office was
that of county clerk; he was elected in 1869 on the Democratic ticket
and was reelected three years later, being in office six years in all.
He then became prominent also in financial affairs, as president of the
First National Bank, of Lima. Later he sold his interests and was
succeeded by Dr. S. A. Baxter.  His next enterprise was handling cattle,
and this proved very lucrative and he continued in this business for
number of years.  Mr. Mehaffey gave great assistance in the organizing
of the Merchants' National Bank of Lima, of which he was elected
president, a position he continued to fill until the bonds were all
called in the corporation went out of business.   Mr. Mehaffey took
charge of the concern and ran it as a private bank for the accommodation
of merchants, and continued until he was called to take so prominent a
part in State politics that he found it expedent to dispose of many of
his private business interests.
    With very little effort on his part, Mr. Mehaffey was nominated and
was subsequently elected to the State Senate from the 32nd District,
which included Allen, Van Wert, Auglaize, Mercer, Paulding, Defiance and
Williams counties, and in this honorable position he served through two
terms.  As a member of the Legislature, Mr. Mehaffey met the
expectations of his constituents and fellow- citizens and retired from
public life with their increased confidence and added respect.
    When Mr. Mehaffey returned to his home from the arena of politics,
it was with the expressed intention of giving the remainder of his life
to the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, finding on his extensive estate
enough to occupy his time and fulfill his ambition.  However, this was
not accepted by his fellow-citizens, and when the capitalists of this
section of the State found a field open for the establishing of another
financial institution at Lima, they called upon Mr. Mehaffey to accept
the presidency of the Metropolitan Bank, a position of honor, trust and
responsibility which he still fills.
     During his service in the Senate he was appointed one of the
trustees of the institution for the feeble-minded youth of the State and
has served for the past 19 years.  His first appointment was made by
Governor Foraker and he has been continued in the office by every
succeeding Governor and during the most of the time has been president
of the board, although its composition is Republican and he has been a
life-long Democrat.
    Mr. Mehaffey was married on August 19, 1856, to Mary Elinor
Richardson, who was born in 1834 in Green County, Ohio and is a daughter
of Joseph H. and Edith (Whitworth) (Smith) Richardson, natives of Wythe
County, Virginia.  They were married there and came to Greene County,
Ohio, and in 1836 to Allen County, and settling near Lima on land which
is now within the corporate limits of the city, but at that time was
covered with timber, excepting a little space which had been cleared,
only sufficient for a small garden plot.  Mrs. Mehaffey remembers the
old log house and that blankets were hung over the openings to exclude
cold; and she also recalls the long nights when bright fires were kept
burning outside the cabin to protect the imates from the wolves who
howled in the near-by forest.  Where this took place the prosperous
citizens of Lima now hurry through busy streets and carry on traffic and
pursue their social and busy life interests.
    Mrs. Mehaffey had more educational advantages than were afforded
many of the children of her time and locality.  Her father was a
scholarly man, had collegiate training in Virginia, and taught the first
public school in German township.  When four years old, she was carried
on his back to the little log schoolhouse and there laid the foundation
for the perfected education and culture of later years.  She was one of
six children and the family has been identified with the educational
interests of this section since her infancy until 1904, when a sister
resigned from her long connection with the public schools of Lima.  The
magnificent new school edifice, completed at Lima in the fall of 1904
and bearing the name of the Richardson School, was so named in honor of
her father, Joseph Hicks Richardson, and a handsome picture of this
well-known educator adorns its walls.  One of the pleasant avenues of
the city was named Charles street, in honor of Mrs. Mehaffey's brother,
Charles.
    Mr. and Mrs. Mehaffey have had four children, viz: William R., a
graduate of Kenyon College, Ohio, who is now editor of the Lima
Times-Democrat; George E., assistant cashier of the Metropolitan Bank,
of Lima, who was educated at the University of Tennessee; Alice, who
died in infancy; and Eda Alice (Hill), a resident of Lafayette, who is a
graduate of the Cincinnati Wesleyan College.  Mrs. Mehaffey has long
been interested in missionary work in connection with the Methodist
Episcopal Church.  Since December, 1873, she has been identified also
with that noble organization, the W. C. T. U., and it was mainly through
her efforts that the saloon element was overcome in LaFayette.  She is a
member of the State executive board and for a number of years has been
county superintendent of the press-work carried on under the auspices of
W. C. T. U.   Mrs. Mehaffey is a lady of literary tastes and
accomplishments and has written more or less continuously for
publication since she was 14 years old.  For the past 10 years she has
devoted her pen exclusively to the interests of temperance and in her
work has the support and approbation of her husband.
    In addition to other honors shown him, Mr. Mehaffey was commissioned
lieutenant-colonel of militia, during the Civil War, by Governor David
Tod.  He is a Royal Arch Mason, having been a member of the fraternity
since he was 21 years of age.  He belongs to the Protestant Episcopal
Church.
 

Solomon Binkley


Solomon Binkley, resides on a farm of 117 acres in
section 35, Jackson township, in one of the most attractive and
desirable country homes in Allen County.  Through his labors his farm
was converted from a wilderness of trees and underbrush to its present
highly cultivated state.  Mr. Binkley was born October 10, 1829, near
Thornville, Perry County, Ohio, and is a son of Emanuel and Elizabeth
(Snyder) Binkley.
    His great-grandfather, Christian Binkley, who was a native of
Maryland, was among the pioneers of Perry County, Ohio.  He was of German
ancestry and from the German inscription on his monument in Reading
township,  Perry County, it is learned that he died in 1832, at the age
of 91 years.
    Henry Binkley, the grandfather of our subject, was also born in
Maryland, and came with his father to Ohio in 1801.  He died in 1825.
    Emanuel Binkley was born in Reading township, Perry County, Ohio,
December 27, 1806, and there reached manhood and married.  He came to
Allen County in October, 1841, and remained here until his death on
February 17,1891, aged 84 years, four months and 20 days.  He was a
member of the Reformed Church.   In politics he was a Democrat.  His
wife, Elizabeth Snyder, was born in Thorn township, Perry County, Ohio,
June 28, 1808, and died in Allen County, March 9, 1894, aged 85 years, 8
months, and 11 days. Her father was Daniel Snyder, an extensive
land-owner and father of a large family.  Our subject is the eldest of
12 children, namely: Solomon; Katharine (Hullinger), who died in 1904;
Samuel, who died in 1892;  Simon, who died in May, 1904; Mary, who died
in childhood; Millie C., who died in 1898; Daniel, who resides in
LaFayette; Henry, of Richland township; Emeline (Mowery), of Henry
County; Matilda (Sherman), who died in 1902; Saloma (Friedly), of
Dunkirk, Hardin County; and Elizabeth (Shaw), of Hancock County.       
    Solomon Binkley was 12 years old when the family located in Jackson
township, on the Marion road, where he lived for several years.  In
November, 1851, he purchased 40 acres of land adjoining his father's
farm, for which he was to pay $5 per acre.  He had worked three months
for Dr. Newton Sager for $11 per month, and out of his earnings he had
saved $30, which he applied on his purchase.  By 1853 he had built a log
cabin and began clearing the land, continuing its cultivation until the
fall of 1862, when he sold the property for $1,200.  He immediately
purchased 120 acres of unimproved woodland, for which he paid $1,500.
Here, after building a cabin, he began clearing his land as before, and
in 1869 purchased an adjoining 40 acres, which gave him a quarter
section of land.  He cleared and cultivated about 120 acres, and in 1875
erected a magnificent brick residence.  Four years later he erected his
barns, and other outbuildings to correspond, and now enjoys the comforts
of a model home.  He has allowed his son a portion of the farm, and
retains only 117 acres.
    Mr. Binkley was married April 29, 1852, to Anna Holman, who was born
in Ross County, Ohio, November 7, 1834, and lived in Delaware County
until 1848, when she located in Allen County with her parents, William
and Sarah (Frederick) Homan.  To this union have been born five
children, namely: Cloyd, born August 2, 1853, who lives at home; Sarah,
born July 24, 1855, wife of Mark Guyton, of Auglaize township; John H.,
born May 21, 1860, who is a resident of Hardin County; Amos, born
October 5, 1862, who lives on an adjoining farm; and Ida B., born March
29, 1869, who lives at home.  Mr. Binkley is a Democrat and has served
as trustee of Jackson township for two terms.  He united with the
Christian Church at LaFayette in 1855, and has served as a deacon of
that body for more than 40 years.  He takes a lively interest in all
that pertains to agriculture, and is one of the most prominent members
of Jackson Grange.
    On the preceding page, in connection with this sketch, appears a
family group, in which four generations of the Binkley family are
represented.     

 Wilford E. Heath

 Wilford E. Heath, mayor of Harrod, is one of the most
capable and efficient officials that has ever presided over the affairs
of that village, and has been equally successful in looking after his
bakery and confectioner business.  Mr. Heath was born in Medina County,
Ohio, February 18, 1863, and is a son of Thomas E. and Martha (Aldrich)
Heath.
    The paternal grandfather was a native of Vermont but of Scotch
descent.  He moved to Pennsylvania at an early day and secured 200 acres
of land, which is now in the heart of the anthracite coal field.  This
land, together with all his property, was lost through his going bail
for some merchants of Philadelphia; but no word of complaint was ever
made by his noble wife, whose property was also swallowed up in the
misfortune.
    Thomas E. Heath was born February 20, 1820, in Schuykill County,
Pennsylvania, near Pottsville, and was eight years of age when his
parents moved to Medina County, Ohio, where he lived until his death.
He learned the trade of carpenter and became one of the most successful
contractors in Medina County.  He took an active interest in politics,
was a stanch Republican and for several years served as constable.  A
member of the United Brethren Church, he was a man of noble principles
and consistent deeds.  His death in 1898 resulted from a stroke of
paralysis and terminated an upright and useful life.  His wife, Martha
A. Aldrich, was born January 6, 1832, and was of Scotch-English origin,
he immediate ancestors being Roswell and Eva Aldrich.  She died at the
age of 47 years, leaving three children:  Leonard M., a farmer residing
near Kenton, Ohio; Rosa, who married F. D. Marble and resides at
Ravenna, Portage County, Ohio; and Wilford E.   Mrs. Marble in the
mother of four children, only two of whom are now living Frank B.
Marble, her son, graduated from the Case School of Applied Science,
Cleveland, Ohio, and then entered the service of the Baltimore & Ohio
Railroad Company, being employed as an engineer in bettering the grades
for the heavy freight traffic of that road.  Later he accepted the
position of chief engineer of the American Steel & Wire Company, and is
still retained by them at a large salary.  He married Loie Davis, of
Cleveland, and their little daughter, Helen, is the youngest of four
generations of Marbles.  The family has a photograph of this group of
four generations which is highly prized.  Eva  Marble, daughter of Mrs.
F. D. Marble, lives at home and is an accomplished musician.
    Wilford E. Heath remained at home until his 13th year when the death
of his mother occurred, after which he made his home with his sister.
He attended the schools of Medina County and also was a student in the
schools of Bedford.  Leaving school, he secured work in the hardware
store of J. B. Haines, and for two years was not only the bookkeeper but
a handy man in the store.  The next three years were passed in the
employ of the A. L. Shattuck Chair Company, after which he went to
Galva, Illinois, and, in partnership with his cousin, engaged in the
bakery business.  The continued ill health of his father necessitated
his return home, where he remained four years until his father's death,
when he located at Harrod, Allen County.  Erecting a suitable building,
Mr. Heath opened a bakery, adding also a line of confectionery, patent
medicines, tobacco and groceries.  He has built up a good business and
has endeavored to merit patronage by having everything of the best.  His
bakery is well equipped, all his mixing being done by machinery operated
by steam power, and everything entering into the composition of his
goods in the purest and cleanest that can be procured.
    Mr. Heath is a Republican and has given his hearty support to the
success of his ticket, whenever the men nominated were those whom he
could conscientiously endorse.  He believes in a clean administration
and before being elected to the mayoralty, in 1903, he was one of the
most energetic and efficient members of the Council and of the School
Board of Harrod.
    Mr. Heath was married December 21, 1892, at Galesburg, Illinois, to
Clara A. Frisinger, of Lima, Ohio.  Mrs. Heath was born April 4, 1874,
in Allen County, Ohio, and is one of 10 children seven sisters and three
brothers born to Thomas and Hannah Frisinger.  Mr. and Mrs. Heath have
one daughter, Hazel A., born July 8, 1896.  The family are members of
the United Brethren Church, and have made many warm and enduring
friendships since moving to Harrod.  Mr. Heath is a member of LaFayette
Lodge, No. 846, I. O. O. F., and of Lima Lodge, No. 91, K. of P.  

Next bio is for: W. E. Rudy, the veteran automobile dealer of Lima, was
born in Allen County 38 years ago and has been a resident of the city of
Lima for the past 15 years.  Mr. Rudy established a new line of business
for Lima when he opened his garage and entered into the sale of
automobiles, bringing the first machine to this county.  He carried, in
addition, a complete line of bicycle sundries and a good line of
bicycles.
    Mr. Rudy grew to manhood in Allen County and enjoyed the advantage
of a college education, having taken the scientific course in the Ohio
Normal University at Ada, from which he was graduated.  Two years of
practical work in teaching followed, when he became a "knight of the
grip" and for five years was salesman for a bicycle company, traveling
over Ohio, Pennsylvania, and a part of New York in his Eastern
territory, and through Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma in the West.  In
1890 he settled in Lima and engaged in retailing automobiles and
bicycles, his business growing to such an extent that it necessitated
enlarged quarters, when he erected his garage, a large building 100 by
50 feet, which is located on Elizabeth street, near the post office a
splendid site and a splendid business.
    Mr. Rudy was married in 1892 to Anna Doolittle, of Pennsylvania, by
whom he has two bright children Mildred and Marcus.  Mr. Rudy is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church while his wife is a
Presbyterian.  He was a member of the Lima City Council for two years
and is always ready to lend his hearty support to any movement of
utilitarian import.  Fraternally, he is connected with the Elks, the Red
Men and the Odd Fellows.

L. H. Rogers

L. H. Rogers, a prominent attorney and one of the
leading citizens of Lima, was born February 28, 1865, in Wirt County,
West Virginia, and remained in that State until about 20 years of age.
He is a son of the late Charles W. Rogers, and has fought life's battles
single-handed, having worked his way through college to his present
eminent position with an ardor that insured success.  Mr. Rogers first
secured employment in the lumber business but, having a desire to find
more congenial employment and also to acquire an education, he entered
the Ohio Normal, now Ohio Northern, University, at Ada, Ohio, and was a
close student for five years, graduating in 1891 with the degree of
Bachelor of Arts.
     Having been elected principal of the Franklin School, at Lima, he
at once entered upon his duties, and for nine years was the capable and
efficient executive who inspired both teachers and pupils to put forth
their best efforts, and made the school one of the best in the State.
During this period all his spare time and his summer vacations were
devoted to reading law, and the same optimistic nature which over- came
the obstacles in his college days now enabled him to disentangle the
knotty points and master the intricacies of legal lore.  He was admitted
to the bar in October, 1897; but he continued to hold his position in
the Lima schools until 1900 when, much to the regret of the patrons, he
gave up school work and began the practice of the law.
    He was first associated with D. C. Henderson, the firm of Henderson
& Rogers continuing until 1902, when Mr. Rogers was elected mayor of
Lima.  He served in that capacity one year, retiring when the new code,
which was passed by the Ohio Legislature for the government of cities,
into effect.  Since then Mr. Rogers has practiced law alone and has
built up a large and lucrative practice, which places him among the
leading attorneys of Allen County.
    While engaged in school work, he was also one of the members of the
City Board of School Examiners, and continues to take a deep interest in
the schools and, indeed, in any question of import to the municipality.
In 1902 Mr. Rogers was nominated by the Republican party for
Representative in Congress from the Fourth Congressional District.
Although the district was overwhelmingly Democratic, Mr. Rogers
succeeded in greatly reducing the normal Democratic majority. 
    In 1892, our subject was married to Lucile E. Everett, daughter of
the late M. A. Everett, of Trumbull County, Ohio.  Four Children have
blessed their home, namely: Margaret, Everett Lewis, Josephine and
William Addison.  Mr. Rogers is quite prominent in fraternal circles,
being past chancellor of Lima Lodge, No. 91, K. of P.; a member of Solar
Lodge, No. 783, I. O. O. F.; D. O. K. K. ;  Woodmen of the World; and
Lima Tent, No. 142, K. O. T. M.    

 Walter C. Bradley

Walter C. Bradley, one of the leading business men of
Lima, treasurer of the Lima Pork Packing Company, was born in Cayuga
County, New York, in 1866, and is a son of Daniel Bradley.
    Daniel Bradley was born at King's Ferry, New York, where his
ancestors had been pioneer settlers.  He still resides in Cayuga County,
New York, where he is a large farmer and extensive stock dealer.  Two of
his brothers served in the Union Army during the Civil War.
    Walter C. Bradley was reared in Cayuga County.  He had good
educational opportunities, being for a considerable period a student at
the Sherwood select school, a private academy of note in that locality.
When about 18 years of age he left school and taught through one year,
after which he entered into the produce business, in the interest of a
New York commission house.  he also engaged in farming and did quite a
successful business in the sale of agricultural implements.  His
financial success was sufficient to procure him the position of local
manager for Swift & Company, of Chicago, when but 29 years old.  He was
located first at the branch house at Springfield, Ohio, then spent a
year at the branch house at Lima; the following year he was at Toledo;
after a short time at Erie, Pennsylvania, he came back to the important
branch house at Lima, and continued here as manager of Swift & Company's
business for three years.
    Then Mr. Bradley entered into business for himself, in association
with B. F. Thomas, Ira P. Carnes, D. W. Leichty and A. R. Thomas,
incorporators of the Lima Pork Packing Company, with a capital stock of
$20,000, which, in 1903, was increased to $60,000.  The officers of this
company are: B. F. Thomas, president; Ira P. Carnes, vice-president; W.
C. Bradley, treasurer, and D. W. Leichty, secretary.  This board of
officers has remained intact since the incorporation of the business.
They moved from the old stand on North Elizabeth street, near the P.,
Ft. W. & C. Railway tracks to their present fine quarters on South
Central street, occupying Nos. 215-217-219-221-22 where they do a
general packing business, their specialty being the manufacture of all
kinds of sausages.  The company requires the assistance of two traveling
men to cover Ohio territory.  exclusive of these and the office force,
they employ about 30 men.  This business promises to be a strong
competitor with the great pork packing concerns already in the field.
    Mr. Bradley was married September 9, 1885, to A. Luella Price, who
is a daughter of the late David Price, of New York.  They have three
children, viz.: David R., who is a graduate of the Lima public school
and the Lima Business College; Violet Luella; and Anna Maybel.  The
family belong to the Presbyterian Church, Mr. Bradley having been a
member of this religious body since young manhood.
 

John B. Severns


John B. Severns, a farmer of section 28, Perry township,
was born in Holmes County, Ohio, June 21, 1850.  His parents were Simon
and Catherine (Schaffer) Severns, the former of whom was born in Knox
County, Ohio, October 13, 1820, and the latter, in Maryland, September
14, 1819.  The paternal grandfather came from Virginia at an early day
and settled in Ohio.  In 1852 Simon Severns brought his family to Allen
County and located on the farm now occupied by John McPheron, where they
continued to reside during the remainder of their lives.  He met his
death April 2, 1879, by the explosion of a boiler at a sawmill, at which
he had stopped for a moment while passing.  His wife survived him many
years, dying April 14, 1890.  Their children were as follows: Samantha
R. (Budd), of coorado; Merriman, unmarried, who resides in Colorado;
Sarah Ann, who died young; LLewellyn A., a resident of Van Wert, Ohio;
John B.; Franklin P., who died in Van Wert County; and Stephen D., who
died in early life.
    John B. Severns was educated in the district schools of Perry Township
and remained at home until the death of his mother, when he
went to Colorado. He learned the carpenter's trade and followed it for
several years during early manhood, but finally abandoned it and turned
his entire attention to agriculture.  He remained in Colorado from
September, 1890. until February, 1895, when he came back to Allen County
and purchased his present farm.
    Mr. Severns has been twice married; first, on September 4, 1879, to
Sarah J. Hanthorn, a native of Perry township and a daughter of James A.
Hanthorn.  She died April 26, 1883, leaving two children: Roscoe, born
July 21, 1880, and Florence R., born March 30, 1883, who married George
W. McClain, a farmer of Perry township, and has two children Viola P.
and Lawrence S.  On July 20, 1889, Mr. Severns was married to Hattie E.
Cummings who was born in Auglaize township, Allen County, Ohio, January
3, 1867, and is a daughter of W. E. and Mary A. Cummings, Pioneers of
Perry township.  Five children have blessed this union , namely: Hazel
M., born May 13, 1890, in Perry township; Etta I., born June 19, 1891,
in Colorado; Frances E., born April 26, 1893 in Colorado; Velma P., born
July 9, 1895, who was born in Ohio May 27, 1902.  They are members of
the Disciples' Church.  M. Severns is a Democrat and has served the
township both as clerk and treasurer.  He is a prominent Knight of
Pythias, being a member of Uniopolis Lodge, No. 685.