HON. HOWARD W. PEARS

HON. HOWARD W. PEARS, president of the Lima Business
College and a member of the State Legislature, is among the most
prominent and influential citizens of the county.  He is a native of the
Buckeye State, having been born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1868.  At
the age of 12 years Mr. Pears started to fight his own battles, which he
has continued to do in order to achieve whatever he has accomplished in
the fields of education, business and politics.  He was educated at
Willoughby, Lake County, and engaged in teaching in that county for
several terms.  In 1890 Mr. Pears went to Colorado and, desiring to
equip himself for a business career, completed a course in the business
college in Colorado Springs, and for one year held a position as private
secretary to the president of the Rio Grande Hotel Company.  He then
established a general reporting until the spring of 1893.  The
experience gained during the three years he was thus employed proved
invaluable to him in the later years.
   Returning to Ohio, he located in Lima and purchased to Lima Business
College in 1893.  At that time its pupils numbered about 40, and
Professor Pears at once set about improving the school by establishing a
practical system of training that would enable the student who had
finished a course in his institution to at once take charge of the work
for which he had studied.  A high grade of work was required from the
pupil, and no pains were spared to make the training as thorough and
practical as though obtained in actual business, and the result soon
began to be manifest in the facility with which the students of the Lima
Business College obtained desirable situations.  Not only was there a
constant demand for them, but it soon became apparent that they were
generally satisfactory to their employers, and these combined
circumstances resulted in an increased attendance at the school.  One
year after taking charge, Professor Pears found it necessary to engage
an assistant in the work, which was growing to such proportions that he
could not do it the justice he wished, and I. F. Clem became a partner
and is now secretary of the institution.  In 1896 the college was
incorporated, with a capital stock of $5,000, and has steadily grown
until it now has an annual enrollment of 300 pupils, and ranks second to
none in Ohio.
    In 1899 Professor Pears was united in marriage to Anna Schnabel, a
daughter of Charles Schnabel, of Lima, and a lady of many pleasing and
gracious qualities.  They are members of the Disciples' Church and take
a prominent part in the social life of the city.  The Professor has been
a lifelong Democrat, and has always taken an active part in the
advancement of that cause.  That he is popular among his colleagues is
shown by the fact that he was nominated for the Legislature over two of
the older politicians at the county primary election held August 14,
1905, and in the fall election received next to the highest number of
votes of any candidate.

 J. W. BENNETT

 J. W. BENNETT conducts the principal undertaking and
embalming business at Lima and is a veteran in this business, although
he has been located in Lima only about four years.  He is a son of Henry
Bennett, a prosperous farmer of Medina County, Ohio, where our subject
was born in 1869.  After finishing his schooling, he became a teacher in
his native county and for five years was a very successful one; but
desiring a more permanent occupation and one in which he could engage
throughout the entire year he went to Wellington, Lorain County, and
opened a furniture store in connection with which he had an undertaking
department.  In order to perfect himself in this work he took lessons in
embalming and received diplomas from Professor Myers, of Springfield,
Ohio, and from Prof. Charles A. Renoaurd, of New York City.  In 1901 he
moved his business to Lima and now has the largest establishment of the
kind in this part of the State.  He is a member of the National Funeral
Directors' Association and president of the Ohio Funeral Directors' and
Embalers' Association, keeping in close touch with all the latest
developments and discoveries in his particular line of work.
    Mr. Bennett was married in 1890 to Ida Bauer, daughter of Jacob
Bauer, of Liverpool, Medina County, Ohio.  Their family consists of
three bright children.  They are members of Trinity Methodist Episcopal
Church and are earnest workers in that body.  Fraternally Mr. Bennett is
connected with the Masonic order,
Elks, Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen of America and Woodmen of the World.

JULIUS KENDALL FETTER

JULIUS KENDALL FETTER, one of the substantial farmers
and well-known citizens of Bath township, was born on his present farm
in section 27, which consists of 109 acres of well-improved land, on
November 27, 1870, and is a son of George and Sarah (Ward) Fetter.
    George Fetter was born in Baden, Germany, August 15, 1826, and died
on the homestead in Bath township, Allen County, on January 2, 1895, at
the age of 68 years.  He came to the United States in boyhood with his
parents, who settled in Allen County.  Here George Fetter's whole life
was passed.  He had few early advantages of an kind, but was a man of
persevering industry and frugal habits, and when he died he was the
largest land-owner in the township, having fully 1,000 acres.  He was an
extensive dealer in livestock, and for a number of years received a good
income from a fine stone quarry on his place.  For many years he was
connected with financial institutions in Lima, and was interested in
gold mining at other points.  Always a stanch supporter of the
Democratic party, he was elected to offices of trust and responsibility
in his township.  He was strict in his observances of the tenets of the
Lutheran Church. 
    George Fetter married Sarah Ward, who was born in Ohio and died in
1885 at the age of 52 years.  She was a good Christian woman and a
faithful wife and mother.  The nine children born to them were: John W.,
deceased; Elizabeth (Gray); Eliza Ellen (Hull), also of Bath township;
Daniel E., George R., Jacob E. and Julius K., all of Bath township Allie
(Mrs. Joshua Bible), of Bath township and Ida Sarah (Griffith), of Bath
township.
   Julius K. Fetter has always resided on the homestead farm and has
followed teaming and farming.  For some years he did a great deal of
teaming in the oil field and has had as many as nine teams in operation
at once.  He has carried on a general line of farming, is land being
well adapted to the growing of the staple grains  His buildings, which
are commodious and substantial, were erected during his father's
lifetime.
    In 1890 Mr. Fetter was married to Susan Coon, the daughter of
neighbors, William and Jane Coon, now residing in Amanda township.  They
have one son, Orris D., who is attending school.
    Mr. Fetter, like his father, is a stanch Democrat and he has always
been a zealous party man.  He has served in local offices and during his
term as road supervisor gave great satisfaction throughout the township.   

ARTHUR L. JONES, M. D.

ARTHUR L. JONES, M. D., physician and surgeon at Lima,
and the city's careful and capable health officer, was born at
Manchester, England, August 20, 1871, and is a son of Lloyd and Mary
(Burbeck) Jones.
    The parents of Dr. Jones are of English birth and rearing.  The
father brought his family to America during the youth of our family to
America during the youth of our subject and settled at Fort Wayne,
Indiana, where he was engaged for a number of years in a mercantile
business, and where he now resides retired.  His family consisted of 10
children.
    Arthur L Jones was mainly reared and educated at Fort Wayne.  From
his boyhood he was interested in medicine.  In order to hasten the time
when he could enter medical college, he taught physical culture and
engaged in an electric business.  His medical studies were completed at
the Fort Wayne Medical College, where he was graduated in the class of
1897.  He chose Lima as his field of practice and established himself in
this city in April, 1897.  He belongs to all the leading medical
associations of the State, thus keeping in touch with the latest medical
thought, and is practical enough to recognize the real value of many of
the most widely heralded modern methods of practice.  He has shown the
skill and ability which have brought him a large clientele.  His
standing in the profession and known ability caused his selection as
city health officer. 
    Dr. Jones was united in marriage with Harriet A. Wilson, who is a
daughter of Walter B. Wilson, formerly of Fort Wayne, Indiana, but now
of Lima, and they have one daughter, Mildred.  Dr. and Mrs. Jones are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  The family residence is
situated at No. 418 West Spring street.  Politically Dr. Jones is a
Republican. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and the Odd
Fellows.

JOHN QUINTON JAMIESON

JOHN QUINTON JAMIESON, one of the popular and
public-spirited citizens of Spencerville, who is largely interested in
oil production and is identified with numerous other enterprises, was
born December 27, 1865, in McKean County, Pennsylvania, and is a son of
Quinton and Amanda (Snyder) Jamieson.
   The parents of Mr. Jamieson still reside at Bradford, Pennsylvania,
where they have reared 11 children, all of the eight survivors residing
in that State, with the exception of our subject and a younger brother.
    From the age of 15 years Mr. Jamieson has made his own way in the
world.  He has worked in every capacity in the oil business, beginning
at the bottom of the ladder and successfully climbing until now he ranks
with the capitalists of Ohio.  As a driller he gained a wide
acquaintance and reputation for efficiency, in connection with his
uncle, R. S. Jamieson, with whom he took up the first leases in and
around Spencerville.  For two and a half years prior to 1892, when he
came to Allen County, Mr. Jamieson was engaged in drilling salt-wells in
England.  The first work undertaken by him in Allen County was drilling
of the farm of J. B. Sunderland, in Amanda township.  Then with his
uncle he entered into contract drilling for the Standard Oil Company,
but from 1895 until 1900 they produced for themselves. At the latter
date R. S. Jamieson sold his interest to Harry D. Weill, and the firm
then became Jamieson & Weill, which continued until 1903, when our
subject bought Mr. Weill's interest and since then has been alone.  In
connection with caring for his own interets, he looks after those of
Henry Weill, of Buffalo, New York, the father of his former partner.  He
has an interest in 16 different wells, he and his uncle having drilled
some 300 wells in Allen and adjacent counties. Aside from his large oil
interests, Mr. Jamieson is interested in a commission business, which
ships from the neighborhood of Spencerville from 1,000 to 2,000 pounds of
dressed poultry a week and from one to two car-loads of hogs.  He is a
man of recognized business which attends persistent endeavor, even in the
face of most discouraging conditions.
    In 1890, in England, Mr. Jamieson was married to Mary Heslop, who
was born in Port Clarence, near Middlesborough, Yorkshire, England, one
of a family of 11 children, she being the only one whose home is in
America.  The home of Mr. and Mrs. Jamieson in Spencerville is one of
beauty and luxury; it stands on South Elizabeth street in the center of
a park of two acres in extent, one of the most attractive of the modern
residences of Spencerville.  The one daughter of this marriage, Maud A.,
born in England in Deecember, 1891, died before her childhood was over,
being aged but a few months beyond 13 years.
    Although a very public-spirited citizen, Mr. Jamieson has never
consented to accept any political favors, refusing on many occasions
nominations to county offices.  He is a member of the Blue Lodge F. &
A. M., and the Chapter, R. A. M., at Spencerville, and belongs also to
the Kinghts of the Maccabees.    

ISAAC LUDWIG

ISAAC LUDWIG, one of the prominent farmers of Marion
township, residing on a well-improved farm in section 32, is a survivor
of the Civil War.  He is a member of a stanch old American family and of
a pioneer one in Ohio.  He was born January 3, 1842, at Stringtown,
Pickaway County, Ohio, and is a son of Jacob and Louisa (DeLong) Ludwig,
and a grandson of Jacob and Elizabeth (Fink) Ludwig.
   The Ludwig name in America dates back to the time of George
Washington, for it was during the War of the Revolution that an ancestor
of the subject of this sketch joined the army under Washington.  He was
the great- grandfather  of Jacob Luidwig, our subject's  father, who
came as a pioneer into Marion township, Allen County, Ohio.  One of the
sons of above named Revolutionary soldier, Jacob by name, married a Miss
Reece, who is supposed to have been a native of Germany.  She became the
mother of ine children and died at her home on the banks of the
Susquehanna River, near the towns of Miffinville and Bloomsburg,
Pennsylvania, many years before her husband, who lived to the age of 90
years.  One of their children was given the family name of Jacob and he
was the father of Jacob Ludwig, grandfather of our subject.
    This Jacob Ludwig was born in Pennsylvania, probably near the
Susquehanna River.  He married Elizabeth Fink, a member of an old
Pennsylvania-Dutch family which was established near Milton,
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.  Their children were: Sophia,
William, Jacob and George W. Grandfather Ludwig was a soldier of the War
of 1812.  In 1818 he moved to Pickaway County, Ohio, and died on his
farm in that county in 1824, aged 33 years.  His widow married George
Crites, and they had two daughters Fredericka and Ozilla, the former of
whom married John Deal and the latter, Josephus Drum, both of Upper
Sandusky, Ohio. Mrs. George Crites died September 26, 1879, and George
Crites died in Pickaway County, prior to this.  Sophia Ludwig, the only
daughter of Jacob Ludwig, married Charles Crites in 1833, and removed
with her husband to Allen County in 1839; it was at her home that her
mother passed away.  The children of Charles and Sophia (Ludwig) Crites
were: Daniel, Jacob, Catherine, Betsey, Rebecca, Cyrus, Elias, Emanuel,
Mary E., Charles, George and Fredericka.
    Jacob Ludwig, father of our subject, was born in Salt Creek
township, Pickaway County, Ohio, December 10, 1818, and was six years
old when his father died.  At the age of eight, on account of his
mother's straitened circumstances, he was bound out, first to Peter
Maney and then to John Pontius.  His experience with these men, both of
whom were harsh task-masters, was the sad one to which childhood, in
those days, was obliged to submit.  He endured privations, indignities
and long hours of labor until he was 15 years old, when his mother took
him to the home of John Crites, where he remained until he was 18 years
of age.  He was then apprenticed to the black- smith trade, with Charles
Crites, his brother- in-law, with whom he almost completed his
apprenticeship.  Then he returned to John Crites, with whom he lived two
more years, during a part of this time being proprietor of a blacksmith
shop.
    On March 2, 1841, Jacob Ludwig was married to Louisa DeLong, who was
a daughter of Andrew and Catherine (Laudig) DeLong, a family originally
from Pennsylvania later, pioneers in Pickaway County, Ohio.  The DeLongs
had 11 children, and Louisa, mother of our subject, was the seventh
child.  Their names were as follows: John, Rebecca, Isaac, Elizabeth,
Susan, Catherine, Louisa, Caroline, Sarah, Amelia and Andrew.  Louisa
DeLong was a descendant of Huguenot families, which were driven out of
France, about 1620, during their persecution.  An ancestor by the name
of Peter DeLong came to this country in 1720.  On his arrival at
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he took his family to Berks County near the
present city of Reading, Pennsylvania.  A descendant of his was drowned
or crushed under a raft of logs in the Little Schuylkill River about
1799, leaving a wife and five children, one of whom, Andrew, was the
father of Louisa DeLong, the mother of Isaac Ludwig.  Andrew Delong
married Catherine Laudig, a daughter of Peter and Catherine Laudig.
Peter Laudig was a descendant of a Huguenot family; his wife Catherine
was a descendant of a Hebrew family, which were driven out of France and
came to New York on account of religious persecutions.
    After this marriage, Jacob Ludwig settled at Stringtown, Pickaway
County, where the family lived until after the birth of our subject, and
then removed to Adelphi, Ross County, for seven years and from there to
near Elida, Allen County, in May, 1849.  He worked there at his forge
until the following September, when he purchased a tract of land
containing 39 1/4 acres in section 33, Marion township, Allen County,
situated on the Auglaize River. The land was all wild with the exception
of 16 acres, on which Mr. Ludwig found a log cabin, which served for the
family home until the following year, when he completed the residence
which still stands in good condition.   He had excellent business
perceptions and was of industrious habits, and was aided in his work by
the help and advice of his good wife Louisa.  He was also a man of moral
purpose and religious conviction. Prior to moving to Allen County, he
had been a Lutheran, later he attended the Methodist Church, but on
February 12, 1869, he united with the Presbyterian Church, of Delphos,
Ohio, under Rev. Reed.  Two of his sons, Isaac and Obed A., are elders
in the Presbyterian Church Isaac in the Delphos church and Obed A. in
the Bluffton church.
    The children of Jacob and Louisa Ludwig were as follows:  Isaac;
John D., born October 14, 1849, who lives at Fort Wayne, Indiana;
Charles C., born May 12, 1853, who lives in Marion township; Mary Jane,
born February 2, 1856, who is the wife of George W. King, residing near
Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio; Obed A., born March 20, 1859, who
resides at Bluffton; and Jacob L., born December 13, 1861, who resides
in Marion township near the residence in which he was born.
    Jacob Ludwig died February 21, 1903, at the age of 84 years, 2
months and 11 days.  At that time six of his nine children were living,
25 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.  He was also survived by
his second wife, formerly Mrs. Sophia (Crites) Dennis, a daughter of
John Crites.  At the time of his first marriage Mr. Ludwig's means were
so small that he was obliged to borrow the money with which to pay the
minister his fee, Mr. Ludwig lived to see his signature honored at every
financial institution where it was presented and for almost any amount.
Although his education was meager, attending but part of a three-months
term of school, he was a well-read man and a thorough student of the
Bible, many of the leaves of a number of copies in his home being worn
from constant perusal as to be no longer usable when his kindly eyes
were no longer able to read over promises precious to him.  His was no
lip service at his church, for he loved the sanctuary and was seldom
absent from his accustomed place, until he partly lost the sense of
hearing.  He still continued, however, to pay liberally to the support
of the church when asked.
   Isaac Ludwig was the eldest born of these estimable, worthy parents
and his home training was all in the direction of industry, temperance
and morality.  He was seven years old when his parents came to Allen
County and his schooling was secured in the little log structures, which
at that time were considered entirely adequate for the educational needs
of  the children.  He was reared a practical farmer and prior to the
outbreak of the Civil War his horizon was probably bounded entirely in
his thoughts with the limits of his county.  When recruits began to pour
into the towns from the peaceful, surrounding farms, our subject was one
of the first to offer his services and was enlisted in Company B,
McLaughlin's Squadron, Ohio Vol. Cav., in which he served three years,
receiving an honorable discharge as a paroled prisoner from Libby
Prison, where he had been incarcerated for a time.  Mr. Ludwig relates
many interesting incidents of war times, many of those which seldom get
into print and in many of which he took part.  Space must be given here
for at least one of these on account of its pleasant sequel.  On March
11, 1865, while the command was stationed near Fayetteville, North
Carolina, he, with four companions, was detailed to go on a foraging
expedition.  The party soon reached a mill not a great distance from
their camp.  Two of the party were detailed to grind corn in the mill
while the other two went to the farmhouse to prospect for some chickens
In the meantime a squad of Wheeler's troopers, belonging to the Ninth
Kentucky Cavalry, slipped up to the mill, and in short order our subject
and his companions were made prisoners of war.  The officer in charge of
the arresting party was Lieut. Albery K. Houk, who, with southern
courtesy, treated his prisoners well.  Before sending them on to
Richmond, the officer asked a favor of Mr. Ludwig, to whom he seemed
especially attracted.  This was, that when exchanged, the Union soldier
should write up the circumstances and send the account to the father of
Lieutnant Houk, the son he could not reach, and assure him of his son's
welfare.  It is needless to add that Mr. Ludwig did so, and the reply he
received he values as one of his treasures.  This did not close the
incident.  In 1895, when attending the National Encampment of the Grand
Army of the Republic, held at Louisville, Kentucky, Mr. Ludwig learned
that the former Confederate officer was living on a farm near Rowletts,
Kentucky, on the route to the Mammoth Cave.  He quickly made his
decision to call on his former captor after visiting the great natural
wonder.  He relates that the genuine Southern hospitality afforded him
and his wife by members of the Houk family, will never be forgotten.
The acquaintance and friendship is still maintained, pictures have been
exchanged, and it is likely that should either Mr. Ludwig or Lieutenant
Houk be questioned as to what is the present point of issue between the
Blue and the Gray, both would answer with emphasis, "Nothing".
    In 1866 Mr. Ludwig was married to Sophronia J. Harbaugh, a daughter
of Thomas and Mary (Exline) Harbaugh.  The late Thomas Harbaugh died in
Steuben County Indiana, April 7, 1884.  He was born in Harbaugh's
Valley, near Sabillasville, Frederick County, Maryland, in 1796, and was
a son of Yost Harbaugh, a farmer in the valley.  He and his family were
among the first converts of Otterbein and Boehm, the founders of the
United Brethren Church.  His commodious barn was used for many years as
a temple of worship,  His grandfather, named Ludwig Harbaugh, born in
Switzerland about the year 1728, was a member of the original family
that emigrated from Switzerland to America in 1732.
    Thomas Harbaugh's education was limited in scope, his chances for
attending school being very small.  He was apprenticed in boyhood to a
cabinet-maker and became a thorough workman at the craft.  He always
said that what as worth doing at all was worth doing well and carried
this idea out in all his activities.  His pioneer life taught him frugal
habits and these he retained through life.  His character was steadfast;
his manner of life, simple and unostentatious.  He lived every day
alike.  His work was one of honor among all his acquaintances.
    Mr. Harbaugh was married in Maryland, but soon after marriage moved
to Muskingum County, Ohio, and late to Sandyville, Ohio, where all his
children were born, except the first four.  In 1846 to 1847 he removed
to Putnam County, Ohio, and bought a quarter section in Pleasant
township, and the next year moved his family to the new home, which at
that time was in the midst of a forest.  Settlers were few and far
apart.  His children numbered 13; three of these died in infancy, and
one at the age of 17 years.  Nine lived to marry and rear families of
their own and, of the nine, six are still living, the youngest of these
nearing his 60th birthday.  Two sons were volunteers in the Civil War;
one of these, Valentine Harbaugh, now resides at Bunker Hill, Kansas,
while the other, Rev. T. J. Harbaugh, is a minister well known all over
this part of the State.  Mr. Harbaugh, wife and daughter lie side by
side in Truro Cemetery near Columbus Grove, and an enduring granite
shaft marks their resting place. 
    The children born to Isaac Ludwig and wife were four in number,
namely: Thomas J., Omar I., Luella and Edwin Guy.  Luella died at the
age of 16 years, a crushing grief to the family.  Thomas J. married
Daisy Peters, of Allen County and has two children Mary and Lawrence
Dana.  They reside on "Sunny Side Farm," owned by Mr. Ludwig.  The
second son married Daisie Musetta Taylor, and they have four children
Cecil Rowland, Sidney Merwin, Nellie and an infant.  They live on the
old homestead farm, in section 28, a property owned by Mr. Ludwig.
Edwin Guy, the youngest son, lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and is
employed in the operating department of the P., Ft. W. & C. Railway.  He
is not only a splendid specimen of physical manhood, weighing over 200
pounds, but is also a manly, pleasant young gentleman.  He spent three
years in the Philippine Islands as a member of the Hospital Corps, in
the United States Army.
    Mr. Ludwig has long been one of Marion township's representative
citizens, foremost in all movements of local importance and one of the
solid, substantial, well-informed men of his neighborhood.  He is
president of the Farmers' Institute in Marion township, is a member of
Marion Grange, No. 302, of which he has been master, and belongs to
Edith Lodge, Knights of Honor.  For many years he has been identified
with Masonic bodies, being a member of Hope Lodge, No 214, F. & A. M.;
Delphos Chapter, NO. 105, R. A. M.; Council No. 72, R. & S. M., and is
also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.  He takes an active
interest also in Reul Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, of which
he is a valued member.  Politically he is identified with the Republican
party.
    Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Ludwig accompany this sketch, being
presented on a foregoing page.