A. M. DILDINE

A. M. DILDINE, a well-known citizen of Lima, who is
now associated with the Prudential Insurance Company of America, has
been a resident of this city since 1891.   He is a man of Large business
experience and is entitled to the highest measure of respect for his
years of service in the Civil War.  Mr. Dildine was born in Seneca
County, Ohio, June 29, 1843, and is a son of the late John H. Dildine,
also of Ohio, who was well-known in political circles in and about
Fostoria.
   Our subject was reared in his native county and attended school at
Tiffin and Fostoria until he was 18 years of age.  With boyish
enthusiasm he then joined his comrades in enlisting for service in the
Civil War which had aroused both young and old all over the land.  On
August 12, 1861, he was made a member of Company E, 49th Reg., Ohio Vol.
Inf.  He remained a soldier of the Union Army for four years and three
months, enduring in full degree the hardships, pain and disablement
which fell to the lot of many of those who fought for the flag.  His
regiment reported first to General Anderson, in Kentucky, and from
Louisville they went South, where they met the enemy in battle at
Rolling Fork.  The regiment remained in camp at Green River during the
greater part of the winter of 1861; but this comparative quiet was
followed by the terrible battles of Shiloh and Stone River and the
memorable struggle at Chickamauga.
    It was one the second day of battle at Chickamauga that Mr. Dildine
received a serious wound in the left foot, which necessitated his being
sent to the hospital.  He was first placed in the hospital at Stevenson,
Alabama, and later was sent to Louisville, Kentucky, where he was under
treatment for five months.  His courage was not diminished in any way,
however, by his long period of suffering and in fact he had not yet
given up his crutch when he reenlisted.  Subsequently he went out with
his regiment and participated in the Georgia campaign and was
unfortunate enough to be wounded a second time, the accident occurring
at the battle of Pickett's Mills, Georgia, May 27, 1864.  This was a
very serious affair a gun shot wound in the right hip.  He was treated
for some 15 days in the field hospital and was then transferred to
Chattanooga and later to Nashville, Tennessee.  For six long and weary
months the young soldier lay on a cot in this hospital submitting to many
operations, as many as 48 pieces of bone being removed from his hip; but
at last he was able to get about again on crutches, and he was then
transferred to Jeffersonville, Indiana.  Here accommodations were
intolerable and he succeeded in being transferred to Cleveland, Ohio,
where he remained until he was mustered out of the service in June, 1865.
   No longer a boy with youth's cheery attitude toward life, but a man,
crippled in the defense of his country, he represented a great class
which deserved then and still deserves the respect and gratitude of the
whole American people.  With a few added years and a whole world of
experience, Mr. Dildine returned to his home in Fostoria, still on
crutches, and for 22 months he was obliged to depend upon their help.
He secured a position in the postoffice which he filled for a time and
then, as he grew stronger, served in a grist-mill for some nine months.
   Realizing the incompleteness of his business education and with an
eye to the future Mr. Dildine took a course in a well-known commercial
college at Chicago.  For the next nine months he was with the United
States Express Company at Vermilion, Ohio, and for some 15 months was
connected with a wholesale grocery house at Saginnaw, Michigan.  Upon
his return to Fostoria he was made deputy postmaster a position he
filled for six years or more and then reentered business with the
wholesale house of Davis & Foster.  In 1891 he came to Lima as
bookkeeper for the Singer Sewing Machine Company, but shortly afterward
accepted a position as yard clerk in the C., H. & D. Railway office.
Subsequently he was made chief clerk, and remained with that corporation
for 10 1/2 years.  Since then he has been associated with the Prudential
Insurance Company of America.
    During his residence in Seneca County, Mr. Dildine took a very
active part in politics, and for about seven years he was a member of
the Republican Executive Committee, and was township chairman for five
years.  He has always been interested in Grand Army affairs, and at
present is serving his third term as commander of Mart Armstrong Post,
No. 202 G. A. R., at Lima.  he has been secretary of the 49th Ohio
Regimental Association for the past 25 years.
    Mr. Dildine was married September 14, 1869, to Isabel K. Claire, who
is a daughter of James Claire, of Saginaw, Michigan.  They have three
children,viz: Maud, wife of Edward Beck, of Lima, Ohio; Emily, wife of
Hugh Mulholland, of Clio, Michigan; and Archie B., who is a first- class
machinist on the United States steamship "Chattanooga."
    Mr. Dildine is a member of the Wayne Street Church of Christ.  The
pleasant family home is at No. 551 North McDonald street.

E. W. MOSIER

E. W. MOSIER, one of the proprietors of the Mosier
Steam Laundry, at Lima, has sent the greater portion of his life in this
city.  He was born at Elida, German township, Allen County, Ohio, n
1859, and is a son of the late John Mosier, a county pioneer.
   John Mosier was born in Summerset County, Ohio, and was reared on a
tobacco farm there.  He learned the trade of a shoemaker and before the
Pennsylvania Railroad was constructed followed that occupation in Elida,
but removed to Lima in 1870.
   E. W. Mosier was 11 years of age when his parents came to Lima, and
this city has been the scene of his business enterprises and his
satisfactory successes.  As a boy he was industrious, working first for
Mr. Lloyd in his lumber-yard, and then at the hub and spoke factory,
where he was employed for some time.  He was also employed in a
furniture shop for two years, for about three years in the King & Day
handle factory, and for five years in a wheel factory.  In this manner
he became well trained in various manual capacities, and established
such a reputation for efficiency that he was engaged to superintend the
mill department in the coach shop of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad,
where he remained for 13 years.
   In 1895 an opportunity presented to enter into business for himself
and, in partnership with Henry Blosser, he purchased the old Niagara
laundry plant.  A good business was conducted by the firm, and six years
later Mr. Mosier purchased his partner's interest.  He conducted the
establishment alone for two years and then sold it.   For a few months
he traveled in California, but shortly after his returned to Lima
purchased the American laundry plant, establishing the Mosier Steam
Laundry.  This enterprise he managed alone until 1904, when he admitted
W. C. Bell to partnership.  Business prospects are so bright that it is
the intention of the firm to erect a substantial brick structure, in the
near future, on the desirable plot of ground which they have already
purchased, on North Central  avenue, between High and North streets.
The new building will have a 74-foot frontage, with a depth of 100 feet,
and, in accordance with modern ideas, will be one story in height.  The
laundry will be equipped with all modern conveniences and machinery, and
when completed will compare favorably with any similar building in the
State.
    In 1889 Mr. Mosier was married to Millie Freily, who is a daughter
of John Freily, a prominent citizen of Ada, Ohio.  They have one child,
Ethel, a bright pupil at  school.
    Mr. Mosier is classed with the useful citizens of Lima, taking an
interest in public matters and promoting laudable civic movements.  He
is a member of the Lima Board of Health.  His fraternal connections are
important and of long duration.  He is a 32nd degree Mason, and
connected with the  Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery at Lima,
and the Consistory at Toledo.  For over 25 years he has been affiliated
with the Odd Fellows, belongs to all its branches and has been a
representative at the Grand Lodge for two years.  He is also identified
with the Knights of Pythias.  With his wife, he is a member of Trinity
Methodist Episcopal Church.

DANIEL HARPSTER

DANIEL HARPSTER, one of the substantial farmers and
representative citizens of Monroe township, residing on his valuable
farm of 130 acres, situated in section 27, is also a survivor of the
Civil War in which he took no insignificant part.  He was born in Monroe
township, Allen County, Ohio, July 7, 1841, and is a son of Jacob and
Sarah (Walls) Harpster.
    The Harpster family was established in Ohio, by the grandfather,
Peter Harpster, a veteran of the War of 1812, who settled as a farmer
among the pioneers of Pickaway County.  His ancestors were German, but
he was born in Pennsylvania.  His son Jacob, father of our subject, was
born in Pckaway County and came to Allen County  immediately after his
marriage with Sarah Walls.  She was a daughter of Robert Walls and died
at West Cairo, aged about 70 years.  The family consisted of eight
children, as follows: Elizabeth (Garner), deceased; Christiana (Mort),
deceased; Thomas, who served in the Civil War, rising from the ranks to
the position of captain, and resides at Cairo; Daniel, of this sketch;
Jane (Eiche), of Delphos; Robert Newton, now of West Cairo, who served
with our subject in the Civil War; Susan widow of Gurst Rathburn, of
West Cairo; and Anthony, deceased.  The father of this family followed
farming and blacksmithing during his active years, and died in Monroe
township, aged 70 years.  He was always a stanch supporter of the
Democratic party.
    Daniel Harpster attended the district schools in boyhood and
assisted on the homestead until the outbreak of the Civil War.  From the
first enlistments he was eager to offer his services, although but a boy
of 20 years, and on September 1, 1861, was enrolled in Company E, 81st
Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under Capt. George A. Taylor and Col. Thomas
Morton, the regiment being known as Morton's Rifle Regiment.  This
command came into prominence in many of the great battles of the war,
fighting valiantly at Shiloh, Corinth and Farmington, on the "March to
the Sea" with General Sherman, and in front of Atlanta.  At the
engagements last named Mr. Harpster won promotion.  Having been placed
on detached duty, he brought in three Confederate pickets, for this act
of bravery and strategy being made color sergeant.  At the expiration of
his term of service, he reenlisted in the 192nd Regiment, Ohio Vol.
Inf., and remained in the service until the close of the war, receiving
his honorable discharge in September, 1865, after taking part in the
Grand Review at Washington City.
     Mr. Harpster returned to Monroe township, after his army service
was ended, and with his bother Thomas, purchased a farm which they
operated for two years, when our subject sold out his interest and
bought his present property, which was then an unimproved tract.  He has
made all the excellent improvements here and has developed a fine farm
carrying on stock-raising operations of quite an extensive character.
For three years he was also a contractor, and built many of the
excellent roads and bridges in his section.  He has been very prominent
in public affairs in his township, taking a continuous and intelligent
interest in its welfare.  In politics, like his father, he has been a
strong Democrat, casting his first vote for George B. McClellan.  For 20
years he has served on the School Board, and has been township trustee
for two terms, and is one of the three county commissioners of the
soldiers' relief organization in Allen County.
    Mr. Harpster was married (first) in 1865 to Amelia A. Snyder, who
was a daughter of Philip Snyder, and they had two children, viz:  Frank,
of Norwalk, Ohio; and Hattie, deceased.  In 1876 Mr. Harpster was
married (second) to Alice Miller, who was born in Monroe township and is
a daughter of Robert and Sarah (Ward) Miller, natives of Perry County,
Ohio.  Seven children have been born to them, namely: Lizzie (Herron),
now deceased, who left three sons; Clay, of Monroe township; Loverna
(Miller), of Michigan; Sara (Middlestetter), of Lima; Mary, living at
home; Daniel, Jr. and Rue.  A view of the family is shown on a nearby
page.

GUY  PATRICK

GUY  PATRICK, mayor of Spencerville, has the honor of
being the youngest citizen ever elected to that honorable office, in the
whole State.  He was born in 1882 in Willshire township, in the
southwest corner of Van West County, Ohio, bordering on the Indiana
line, and is a son of L. Y. and Cynthia Jane (McColough) Patrick.
    The Patrick ancestry dates back to Ireland, where it was later
leavened with both Scotch and English connections prior to the family
being established in Virginia, where Mr. Patrick's grandparents,
Washington and Mary Jane Patrick, were born, and whence they moved to
Fulton County, Indiana.  There L. Y. Patrick was born; but he was mainly
reared and educated at Sheldon, Iroquois County, Illinois.  He learned
the trade of horse-shoeing, which he followed in Fulton County, Indiana,
from 1862 until 1867, when he returned to Sheldon, removing thence to
Willshire, Van Wert County, Ohio.  While residing there, he took a
prominent part in public affairs and was a member of the Town Council.
In 1896 he came to Spencerville.  He is prominent in the leading
fraternities, being a Knight Templar Mason, a Knight of Pythias and an
Odd Fellow.  He was married first on December 23, 1869, to Louisa Jane
Avery, who died in December, 1873, survived by two daughters viz: Mrs.
Homer C. Underwood, of Fort Wayne, Indiana; and Mrs. J. W. McDonald, of
Medina, Ohio.  In September, 1874, Mr. Patrick was married to Cynthia
Jane McColough of Adams County, Indiana, and they had five children born
to them, the two survivors being Hila and Guy Patrick.  James W. died in
1875; Ruthford in 1882 and Ollie, two weeks after the latter, a heavy
family bereavement.
    The early boyhood of Guy Patrick was passed at Willshire, but his
education was completed at Spencerville and at the Ohio Normal
University at Ada, where he was graduated in the law department in 1901.
Since then he has been connected with the office of Attorney R. R.
Kennedy, of Spencerville, as a registered law student; but he is also
one of the town's popular and successful business men.  For several
years he was connected with the large mercantile house of Taft &
Company, at Spencerville, but since 1904 he has been the proprietor of a
large merchant tailoring establishment which has received the custom of
the leading citizens.  He has secured the best cutters and fitters and
the work turned out by his establishment is so satisfactory that already
he controls a fastidious trade, which formerly placed its orders outside
the town.
    Mr. Patrick as a student demonstrated his natural gifts of oratory
and on several notable occasions he has bore off the prizes in contests.
He possesses also the genial manner and quick wit for which the sons of
Ireland are notable the world over, and to these valuable assets adds
the energy, enterprise and manliness which mark the successful young
Americans of to-day.  After being honored by the Republican party with
the nomination for mayor, in the face of a Democratic majority of 80
voters, in the city, he determined to win if personal hard work could
accomplish it.  The result was his election, the vote being very close.
He was the only member of his party elected to a town office, a
testimonial to the personal regard in which he is held by his
fellow-citizens; in fact, Mr. Patrick is the only Republican ever
elected to the office of mayor in this town.  That his administration
will be one to which he may in future years turn with pride, is the
conviction of all who have watched his career from boyhood.  He is a
Royal Arch Mason.

CARL C. REIS

CARL C. REIS, one of the representative merchants of
Lima, whose business is located on the corner of North and Jackson
streets, was born at Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio, in 1880, and is a
son of the late M. J. Reis, who for more that a quarter of a century was
a conductor on the Lake Erie & Western Railroad, and was well and
favorably known in railroad circles.
   Until he was 18 years of age, Carl C. Reis remained at Fremont, where
he enjoyed excellent educational advantages.  Then he came to Lima,
entering the grocery line, first as a clerk.  After three years in
partnership with C. B. Wells, under the firm style of Reis & Wells, he
purchased a grocery and went into business.  The partnership continued
for one year, when Mr. Reis purchased his partner's interest and has
since continued alone.  Mr. Reis' conception of business principles has
made him a fine merchant.  He carries a complete and carefully selected
stock of all staple and fancy groceries, including delicacies of all
kinds, salt meats and feed.  His business territory and his reputation
have both so expanded that his grocery is now conceded to be the most
reliable, the most attractive and the largest in the city east of Main
street.  In addition to this establishment, Mr. Reis is interest in Lusk
Brothers' wholesale fruit and produce business, thus assuring him
superior advantages in the way of supplying his customers with fine
produce and choice fresh fruit.  His interest have become so large at
Lima, that he has disposed of a branch business formerly conducted at
Bluffton.
    Mr. Reis was married on February 9, 1903, to Mary Wilson, who is a
daughter of Melville J. Wilson, who is prominently identified with the
grocery trade at Toledo.  Mr. and Mrs. Reis have one son, Wilson Carl.
Mr. Reis is a member of the Tribe of Ben Hur and the Home Guards of
America.  Both Mr. Reis and wife are prominent in Lima's social life,
and are identified with St. John's Catholic Church.