CHARLES H. FENNER
CHARLES H. FENNER, of the firm of Fenner Brothers,
photographic artists of Lima, with a well-appointed studio at No. 202
1/2 North Main street, was born at Gallipolis, Gallia County, Ohio.
Mr. Fenner was educated at Gallipolis, and as his older brother and
late partner was engaged in a photographic business there, he also
became interested. Several years later he embarked in the dry goods
business, and for 11 years he was connected with The John Shillito
Company, of Cincinnati, subsequently going out on the road for some four
years for a Brooklyn firm. When his brother located at Lima, in 1895,
Mr. Fenner became associated with him and they continued in business
together until the death of William J. Fenner, in 1903, since which time
Charles H. has been alone. The late Mr. Fenner married Nellie Fowler,
who still resides at Lima, with the one daughter born to them Aline
The Fenner studio is the best equipped one in the city. Electric
light is used in both the taking and printing of photographs, whenever
it is thought desirable. For some eight years before coming to Lima,
the late William J. Fenner made a specialty of outside view photography
and the gallery is filled with many beautiful and interesting specimens
of his artistic work. In its equipments and work turned out, the Fenner
studio compares favorably with those of cities much larger than Lima.
L. B. MILLER
L. B. MILLER, proprietor of the Harrod Creamery and
the Harrod Stave and Hub Mills, was born August 23, 1864, in York
County, Pennsylvania, which was the home of the Millers for several
generations. The great- grandfather of our subject came from Germany
about the year 1802 and located in York County. There Adam Miller, the
grandfather, was born, lived and died. He was a school teacher and also
handled insurance. The parents of L. B. Miller are David F. and
Angelina (Bortner) Miller, both natives of Pennsylvania, where they now
David F. Miller was born in York County, Pennsylvania, in April,
1831, and has always carried on farming. He owns a farm of 160 acres,
upon which he resides; but a stroke of paralysis has left him in feeble
health and less active than formerly. He is a Democrat and has held a
number of local offices. He was drafted into the army but, owing to the
bitter opposition of his parents, he remained at home and sent a
substitute to whom he paid $1,000. He married Angelina Bortner and to
them were born nine children, only four of whom are living, namely: L.
B., William B., of York County, Pennsylvania; Alice, who married A. B.
Albright and lives in her native county; and Howard B., who lives with
his parents and has charge of the farm. Both Mr. and Mrs. Miller are
consistent members of the German Reformed Church.
L. B. Miller received his education in schools of York County and
later took a business course in a commercial school in Philadelphia. He
engaged in teaching for a short time and after leaving college accepted
a position as bookkeeper with John Wanamaker, with whom he remained two
years until failing health caused him to retire and seek a change of
occupation. Returning to York County, he worked in a produce and
general merchandise store, and about this time also became interested in
the creamery business. This he learned, becoming thoroughly familiar
with every phase of the industry. Embarking in the enterprise for
himself, he conducted his creamery in York County for six years and then
came to Allen County, and purchased the cooperative creamery at Harrod,
which he has operated since the spring of 1898. In addition to this
business which he has made a profitable one, he bought a new engine,
boiler, etc., and established the Harrod Stave and Hub Mills, which
manufactures walnut gun-stocks, squares for ball bats, etc., sending its
output to prominent manufacturers of those articles. He has not yet
begun the manufacture of hubs but expects to start that industry soon.
On August 23, 1891, Mr. Miller celebrated his 27th birthday by
marrying Annie Hoke, daughter of David M. Hoke, of York County,
Pennsylvania. Three children have been born to them, viz: David, born
February 15, 1892, and who died at the age of two weeks; Leroy, born
February 1, 1894; and Diamond May born May 19, 1905. Mrs. Miller is a
member of the Lutheran Church while Mr. Miller belongs to the German
Reformed. He supports the Democratic National ticket, but in local
politics is independent. Fraternally, Mr. Miller is a member of the
Modern Woodmen of America and the Junior Order of United American
JOEL G. HERSH
JOEL G. HERSH, one of Lima's leading professional men,
with law offices situated at No. 56 1/2 Public Square, has been a
resident of this county for some 16 years. He is a native of Mansfield,
Richland County, Ohio, and a son of the late Newton and Lydia (Chew)
Hersh, his early life being spent on a farm.
Newton Hersh was born in 1834, in Richland County, Ohio, dying there
in 1901, on the old homestead which had been entered by his father, Joel
Hersh. the latter, with his wife, Catherine (Berny) Hersh, was born at
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the couple settling in Richland county at an
early day. Politically Joel Hersh was a strong Whig, and through life
was a friend and coadjutor of John Sherman. He became one of the most
prominent farmers in Richland County. He married Lydia Chew, a daughter
of Samuel Chew, a substantial farmer of the county, who was killed in
1887 by burglars.
In 1889 Joel G. Hersh came to this county as a teacher, and
subsequently entered the Ohio Normal University at Ada, from which he
was graduated in the classical course, in 1894. Prior to this, however,
he had been a teacher in Kansas for four years. After graduating from
the university, he continued to teach in Allen County for nine years, a
portion of the time at Gomer and West Cairo. Then he turned his
attention to the legal profession, and in 1898 was graduated from the
law department of the university at Ada. In the fall of the same year
he passed the necessary bar examination and immediately opened an office
in the Metropolitan Block at Lima, being associated with Mr. Kilgore
under the firm name of Kilgore & Hersh. This partnership existed until
1901, since which time Mr. Hersh has practiced alone. His practice covers
all the courts of the State, and his ability is very generally
recognized. He is a member of the Allen County Bar Association.
Mr. Hersh was married In November, 1901, to Ora States, who is the
eldest daughter of Aaron States, one of the most prominent citizens of
the county. Mr. and Mrs. Hersh have two children, viz: Newton States
and Mary Catherine. While a resident of Ada, Mr. Hersh united with the
Presbyterian Church there. Mrs Hersh is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church of Monroe township.
Mr. Hersh is identified with the Republican party, and in 1900,
during McKinley's second presidential campaign, was chairman of the
Republican executive committee of Allen County, since which time he has
given his entire attention to the practice of his profession.
GEORGE R. CHRISTIA
GEORGE R. CHRISTIA, proprietor of the Philadelphia Dye
Works, located at No.320 North Jameson avenue, Lima, and one of the
city's representative business men, was born at Toledo, Ohio, in 1851.
He is a son of Hon. Robert and Amelia A. (Rickett) Christia.
The father of Mr. Christia was born in England and at the time of his
death was a resident of Canada and a member of the Dominion Parliament.
The mother of our subject belonged to the aristocratic old Van Cortland
family of New York.
Since 1883 Mr. Christia has been a resident of Lima. He probably
enjoys the distinction of having been the youngest soldier ever enlisted
for service the Civil War from Ohio, and possibly of any State in the
Union. When in his 12th year he ran away from home and joined the army
as a drummer boy; although he fought with the men of the regiment at the
battle of Shiloh, after it termination his captain sent him home. In
May, 1864, he enlisted in Company B, 130th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., at
Toledo, and accompanied the regiment to the Shenandoah Valley and
participated in the campaign there, being mustered out in December,
1865, reaching home in time to enjoy Christmas with his family.
Mr. Christia engaged for a time with a hatter and dyer, at Toledo,
and then went to Boston, where he perfected himself in this business,
returning after five years to Toledo. he continued in the dyeing
business there and at Bellefontaine and then came to Lima, where, since
1883, he has been considered an expert in this line and conducts a large
and growing business in cleaning and dyeing after modern, sanitary
methods. Mr. Christia is also an expert hatter.
In 1873 Mr. Christia was married at Boston, Massachusetts, to Lelia
L. Bliss, who is a daughter of H. C. H. Bliss one of the leading
merchants of Boston, other connections being the Fairbank and Chandler
Politically Mr. Christia is a Republican and he has been chairman of
the Republican City Committee. He is a man of substance, a stockholder
in the Farmers' Bank of West Mansfield, Ohio, and is interested in other
enterprises. From his youth he has shown courage and determination and
these have been important factors throughout his subsequent life.
JERE ROBINSON, who occupies the responsible position
of district foreman of the Ohio Oil Company, at Lima, has been a
resident of this city since 1896. He was born at Newton Hamilton,
Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, in 1851, and is a son of Robert and Ellen
The father of Mr. Robinson was born in Ireland. For many years he
was a resident of New Castle, Pennsylvania, where he was connected with
the building of public works. He died there in 1871.
Jere Robinson was educated in the schools of New Castle. He learned
the trade of molder, at which he worked for five years and then became
engineer of the public works at New Castle for two years. From there he
went to the oil field of Clarion County as a pumper and continued there
for five years. His next engagement was in the Bradford field, where he
had seven more years of experience, and from there he came to
Cridersville, in Auglaize County, Ohio, and took charge of the property
of Roess Brothers & Company, of Oil City, Pennsylvania. He continued in
this position until the Pennsylvania capitalists sold out to the Ohio
Oil Company, and since then he has been associated with he latter
company. For the past 18 years, with the exception of but three months,
he has occupied the important position of foreman. He is a man of large
practical experience in oil and his efficiency is appreciated by the
Ohio Oil Company.
In 1877 Mr. Robinson was married to Isabel Alexander, who is a
daughter of James Alexander, of Pennsylvania. They have had five
children, viz: Ivy May, wife of R. J. Banta, of the firm of F. J. Banta
& Son, candy manufacturers of Lima; Mabel E., and Elsie R., students at
Hollins Institute, Virginia; and Herbert and Albert, both deceased. The
family belong to the Market Street Presbyterian Church. Fraternally Mr.
Robinson is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the